The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/finding-freedom-harry-and-meghan-and-the-making-of-a-modern-royal-family-47438.html)

Fem 08-17-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilyflo (Post 2336333)
For the length of time, I'm just going by what Omid Scobie is supposed to have said about it in his recent interview:
“Meghan didn’t get to try the tiara on again until a few days before the wedding.”
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/124195...-plans-online/

Well then Scobie needs to decide if it was a few weeks or a few days :lol:

Lilyflo 08-17-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fem (Post 2336334)
Well then Scobie needs to decide if it was a few weeks or a few days :lol:

I don't think he's being inconsistent because he didn't give an actual date for the trial in the book - he just tells us roughly when Harry spoke to HMQ (a few weeks before) and then confirms she had her trial but doesn't say exactly when. It appears he has provided more information about the date she actually had the trial in the interview.

From the book:
"With the wedding just a few weeks away, the lack of tiara hair trial continued to be an issue of contention. Members of staff at Kensington Palace just weren't able to get in touch with Angela to make it happen. People were frustrated - and confused. Why was it so hard to set up a time for Meghan to try the tiara with her hairdresser? In the end, Harry had to speak to his grandmother about the situation. And she got her trial."

From the recent interview (extract copied from The Sun):
“Meghan didn’t get to try the tiara on again until a few days before the wedding.”

poppy7 08-17-2020 09:55 AM

Final update on the book.

Paranoia.

Narcissism

Impulsivity

Lack of intelligence and understanding.

Reluctance to take advice.

Lacking an understanding of symbiotic relationship with the media and poking the bear.

Ridiculous lack of understanding of how the family split from family to business by negotiating through their staff. Which leads me to think this was all Meghan's doing because Harry had obviously been so uninterested in it before that he didn't realise half the work his staff did.

Shed loads of famous name dropping.

Cry me a river with your tiniest violin. Good luck to them. Best they are gone.

Good luck to your career to Omid after this vapid, narcissistic book. It will make money though.

A dreadful book where the only sense came from.palace insiders on both sides.

Still great family fun on a staycation. But no gossip, nothing much interesting. Just a Meghan manifesto.

gerry 08-17-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy7 (Post 2336064)
I read it. I think they did. They got it all wrong. But at the end of says it is admirable they didn't settle for that life. That depends of you think the life is worth it. That public service isn't worth it. That the Prince's Trust and all the people it has helped hasn't been worth it. Or the Invictus Games. Or thr hospitals they open. Or the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Or or or. Yes they sacrifice parts of themselves to do the job. But what about the public service. Or any public service. Any such career more focussed on others and not done to gain money. And not done to have a voice or gain fame in the royals instance.

And this question is what makes the couple's position of interest: I have great sympathy for the Prince and I am curious to see what he will do to carry on the life of service to which he was born. I believe that the marriage to Meghan was indeed 'a way out' of the BRF and the implicit, unwanted press attention. Choosing a media professional as a wife is, of course, questionable but clearly love is finding a way out of this conundrum and I am interested to see how the contradictions are resolved. :whistling:

Eskimo 08-17-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

For the length of time, I'm just going by what Omid Scobie is supposed to have said about it in his recent interview:

That’s the point Meghan missed. In the BRF things are done on the Queen’s schedule not Meghan’s.

poppy7 08-17-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2336435)
And this question is what makes the couple's position of interest: I have great sympathy for the Prince and I am curious to see what he will do to carry on the life of service to which he was born. I believe that the marriage to Meghan was indeed 'a way out' of the BRF and the implicit, unwanted press attention. Choosing a media professional as a wife is, of course, questionable but clearly love is finding a way out of this conundrum and I am interested to see how the contradictions are resolved. :whistling:

He won't. He no longer has a life of service.

Betsypaige 08-17-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy7 (Post 2336405)
Final update on the book.

Paranoia.

Narcissism

Impulsivity

Lack of intelligence and understanding.

Reluctance to take advice.

Lacking an understanding of symbiotic relationship with the media and poking the bear.

Ridiculous lack of understanding of how the family split from family to business by negotiating through their staff. Which leads me to think this was all Meghan's doing because Harry had obviously been so uninterested in it before that he didn't realise half the work his staff did.

Shed loads of famous name dropping.

Cry me a river with your tiniest violin. Good luck to them. Best they are gone.

Good luck to your career to Omid after this vapid, narcissistic book. It will make money though.

A dreadful book where the only sense came from.palace insiders on both sides.

Still great family fun on a staycation. But no gossip, nothing much interesting. Just a Meghan manifesto.

Meghan isn’t interesting to me, so the book would bore me to tears if I were to read it....except, admittedly, I doubt I’d have gotten very far as I have no tolerance for poor writing, lol.

Thank you for a wonderfully concise, but hilarious, summary!

As to Omid, his career as a hanger-on and insider to the Duke and Duchess of Excess will continue .....but if he thought that the book would send him to new and soaring heights, then he needs to lower his expectations. A lot.

Nice Nofret 08-17-2020 12:22 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/15/o...gtype=Homepage

I think this is a good analysis of the situation

Denville 08-17-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

How can he carry on a life of service when he has walked out of the life of service? He didn't want to be part of the working BRF, he preferred to leave and move to the US...

Helen.CH 08-17-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

well, so far they do not tell or do not know what to do with their lives.
if course not only royals serve in what they are doing and I guess you refer to what the couple repeated over again with wanting to go one, a foundation.....
at the moment not much is seen and though some might think COVID is a burden fir the Sussex couple it's more time to consider and take a deep breath
let's hope next year they come out and if not Covid is still there to be blamed:whistling:

amaryllus 08-17-2020 01:00 PM

He obviously didn’t give really give a rats about this “life of Service” or take in the ethos of Charles, his Grandparents and the extended family. I know this is not a popular opinion but I don’t believe Diana’s trying to make him ‘modern’ And be the fun mom was beneficial as it was all one sided... she did not try all that hard to instill respect Or appreciation for The duties, traditions and work his paternal family do, that Life is not all fun and hamburgers and Water parks and sometimes we have to do the boring, proper things without a frown or tantrum or running away. If William was being trained for his future by the Queen Diana could have really helped Harry Learn in the time she had.

camelot23ca 08-17-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

So, assuming all the nonsense in the book is accurate she was able to try on the tiara at least twice - once several weeks before the wedding and then once more a few days before the wedding?

How is that a problem? She’d already picked it out beforehand, then got a chance to try it on to make sure thought it looked good on her, that it would work with the hair style she’d planned, etc. Then she got a second opportunity directly before the wedding to make sure everything was 100% good to go.

Considering this is a valuable royal tiara that has to be brought back and forth from where it’s usually kept I’d say Meghan had sufficient pre-wedding hands on time with it. Also, it didn’t belong to her. She and Harry could have purchased a tiara for Meghan’s exclusive use and then she could have kept it on her bedside table or worn it 24/7. They decided to go with borrowing instead and when you borrow something you have to accept that it’s not you who controls the terms of the loan.

tommy100 08-17-2020 01:13 PM

I do wonder, If Kate seemingly made do with a replica/toy one for most fittings and maybe others have done so as well maybe they simply weren't expecting to have to give the tiara out as much.
Whatever miscommunications (and I can't see someone who has got toAngela Kelly's position simply ignoring a request from a member of HMs family especially seen as in the last few years HM has been lending more jewels out) Harry's apparent response it telling and extremely rude. As camelot says, this is a loan of a tira, its not like they were keeping Meghan's own persona tiara or one harry had been left by Diana from them, this was HM's property being handled by HM's senior, trusted aide. Be grateful for the loan of the tiara I'd say.

duchessrachel 08-17-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2336499)
I do wonder, If Kate seemingly made do with a replica/toy one for most fittings and maybe others have done so as well maybe they simply weren't expecting to have to give the tiara out as much.
Whatever miscommunications (and I can't see someone who has got toAngela Kelly's position simply ignoring a request from a member of HMs family especially seen as in the last few years HM has been lending more jewels out) Harry's apparent response it telling and extremely rude. As camelot says, this is a loan of a tira, its not like they were keeping Meghan's own persona tiara or one harry had been left by Diana from them, this was HM's property being handled by HM's senior, trusted aide. Be grateful for the loan of the tiara I'd say.

I totally agree. I would just be overjoyed and grateful that I was even getting to wear one. I would have kept my mouth shut and assumed that they knew what they were doing. They have put on quite a few royal weddings.

Missjersey 08-17-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchessrachel (Post 2336506)
I totally agree. I would just be overjoyed and grateful that I was even getting to wear one. I would have kept my mouth shut and assumed that they knew what they were doing. They have put on quite a few royal weddings.

Seems neither know how to be grateful........

Betsypaige 08-17-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchessrachel (Post 2336506)

Sigh.

H and M are self-centered and spoiled; they don’t know what it means to be grateful - they want what they want. I’ve never seen two people as entitled as these two.

camelot23ca 08-17-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2336499)

I think the handful of aides in Angela Kelly’s position - the people who have worked very closely with QEII for a long time - likely know her very well and may have a better understanding of overall Windsor family dynamics than most of the actual family members. (Let’s hope Angela Kelly never wants to Find Freedom). I don’t think someone who has been kept on so long would ever overstep, but she no doubt has a finely calibrated sense of how her boss prefers to handle each family member. For example, if Anne has contacted her mother’s closest aides once in the last 30 years upset about an emergency, a second call from her tomorrow would likely he seen in a different way than calls from other family members who seem to have emergencies much more often. It may be part of Ms. Kelly’s unofficial job description to know how long The Queen wants to be shielded from each family member.

sophie25 08-17-2020 04:06 PM

A lot of the Queens jewels are practically museum pieces and have to be treated as such. The tiara Meghan wore isn't far off 100 years old and I imagine Angela Kelly and the rest of the team involved in caring for these items probably treat them as a curator in a museum would ie with the understanding that they have to be handled carefully and not passed back and forth too often from where they are usually kept. I also don't see why getting to chose the tiara initially and try it on (which we know they did because H said this happened and that both of them agreed this one suited Meghan best) and then get to work with it a second time days before the wedding with her hairdresser wasn't enough. It's amazing the number of people H and M argued with both within the BRF and among those who work for them. Angela Kelly is very well liked and appreciated by the Queen so I'm sure HM will be furious that Angela is also being attacked by them in this book.

Durham 08-17-2020 04:20 PM

:previous:

Very bad form to have a go at staff.

You punch up not down.

yvr girl 08-17-2020 04:43 PM

It seems to me that they just showed up at the palace expecting to be served. Meghan had clearly made an appointment with her hair dresser as there was a flight involved. Why wasn't an appointment made with Ms. Kelly as well. It is just common courtesy.