The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/finding-freedom-harry-and-meghan-and-the-making-of-a-modern-royal-family-47438.html)

Eskimo 05-03-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2311927)
'Modern Royal Family' after they opted out? :wacko:
And Finding Freedom? The latest pictures from Harry delivering the food show him angry/sulking as usual with Meghan patting his back or touching him to calm him down.
But thankfully, this is the book they would always write. I am glad it's done with in August already.
The attention they will get now will not be enough for a second book. At some point the story gets lame and more interesting people will be in town.

Depends on how well the book sells. No matter what they have to say, if this book does not make enough money for the publishers they are not going to bother paying for a "sequel"

Rae 05-03-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311942)
Why do people still believe anything the Daily Mail or the other tabloids write. We know that their employees and their informant were locked out of Harry's and Meghan's life and that they have a big agenda against the, So why believe their "fears" that scandalous things might happern? And what things? It's not like H&M had an enemy in the Royal family! The queen and Charles love them and William is Harry's brother! So what kind of stories will come out that will hurt the family members? I can imagine there can be stories about the staff collaborating with the tabloids, but how could this hurt H&M or the RF?

It's straight from Amazon, submitted by the publisher and the article provides the link to Amazon. See below.

I've been enjoying the browsing the threads without posting but it does get tiresome when goalposts are constantly shifted re media by specific people. If the article is favourable, believe, if not, cast aspersions. It doesn't work like that. We all know the usual caveats re articles/media but people should be able to have a simple discussion (and others enjoy the discussion) with differing opinions on an article (verified or not) without someone trying to shut down an argument by attacking the media.

If it comes to it, they have good innings in breaking stories that end up being accurate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7-bcecda59cb4e

Quote:

When news of the budding romance between a beloved English prince and an American actress broke, it captured the world’s attention and sparked an international media frenzy. But while the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have continued to make headlines—from their engagement, wedding, and birth of their son Archie to their unprecedented decision to step back from their royal lives—few know the true story of Harry and Meghan.

For the very first time, Finding Freedom goes beyond the headlines to reveal unknown details of Harry and Meghan’s life together, dispelling the many rumors and misconceptions that plague the couple on both sides of the pond. As members of the select group of reporters that cover the British Royal Family and their engagements, Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand have witnessed the young couple’s lives as few outsiders can.

With unique access and written with the participation of those closest to the couple, Finding Freedom is an honest, up-close, and disarming portrait of a confident, influential, and forward-thinking couple who are unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight, and dedicated to building a humanitarian legacy that will make a profound difference in the world.

Queen Claude 05-03-2020 01:29 PM

Amazon Link - I don't think it's been posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087ZTTCFC

Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family Hardcover – 11 Aug. 2020

by Omid Scobie (Author), Carolyn Durand (Author)

Durham 05-03-2020 01:57 PM

Finding Freedom!!:rofl:

This has to be a parody surely. Is this from the same people who make "The Windsors".:lol:

They could launch it to the theme from the film Born Free or maybe Freddie Mercury singing "I want to break free".:biggrin:

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 02:25 PM

Deleted post

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311935)
Ok, do you mean as persons? Yes, I think they did. Because they saw how they hurt and couldn't help them enough to make them stay.

As a prince and his wife hurting the queen and the Prince of Wales? Not so much, as William is the heir and Harry "just the spare" who has a right to search of another situation in life where he feels more accepted and respected. For that is a right every human has, even the Royals.

If you recall, HM and Charles wanted to find a way for Harry and Meghan it make their exit...badly, because they wanted their happiness. What they asked and hoped for was time to work out all the arrangements, which when H and M decided they’d had enough, they dropped the bomb. That was unacceptable to me. This has never been about H and M leaving - all HM and Charles want, ultimately, is for Harry’s happiness even though they would have much preferred H and M to stay.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no need or reason to divide the roles. Harry’s granny is the Queen and his father is PoW. In each of their roles, they wanted Harry and Meghan to stay and to ultimately be happy.

Durham, the sequel - for primarily American audience - will be called “Let Freedom Ring”, lol (from “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee)

Quote:

Finding Freedom!!

This has to be a parody surely. Is this from the same people who make "The Windsors".

They could launch it to the theme from the film Born Free or maybe Freddie Mercury singing "I want to break free".

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2311940)
I agree, previous posters suggested that this book was nothing more than other previous corroborations we’ve seen which has simply done a “day in the life” of a royal. The DM article, if true, smashes that theory. This is their attempt at the Andrew Morton...

I agree, except I hope without the nastiness (I never read the book, but it’s infamous, lol) towards the family. Even so, it’s still bound to hurt because no doubt there will be criticism of father, brother, grandmother. etc.. I don’t believe Harry (who is the one I’m primarily concerned about) would deliberately seek to hurt those he truly loves, but as the saying goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missjersey (Post 2311933)
Three paragraphs up...I believe they hurt Gran and Dad the way they left, jmo....

Of course they did ....

ACO 05-03-2020 03:02 PM

So its still boils down to the fact that Omid has written a book (no different than many on the royal beat) but because it is not trashing them it is bad? The description says "access to close circle" but I pulled up a few books about other royals that literally says the same in the description. That can mean just about anything. It is an easy general cover base.

DM claimed there were interviews and yet other publications say otherwise. I mean that says plenty right there. No one has read this book but seems everyones knows exactly what has been written. Fascinating. People don't have to like Omid but I do find is interesting that other correspondents are just fine to write all kind of things and it is all good.

Heck I would bet money that books about "Megxit" are in publication as I type. There is currently a book about Kensington Palace (also with "close sources") coming out and no one seems to care whatsoever. But this one? Pearl clutching. If you find fault in Meghan all is swell. If you don't think... well....

Read the book or don't. Just like the rest of them out there. I bet this forum is more dramatic than this book.

Lumutqueen 05-03-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2311983)
No one has read this book but seems everyones knows exactly what has been written.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Nico 05-03-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2311983)
I bet this forum is more dramatic than this book.

As if the title "Finding Freedom" was not dramatic enough ...:whistling:

Kataryn 05-03-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2311944)
Did you read the part where I wrote, “if true”?....because your response to my comment says you didn’t.

If you didn't believe it (at least some bits), you wouldn't take time to think about it - much less discuss it. And I hate it because that's the way you say the most shaming things, discuss them while not take an open position.

I mean, we can discuss it - but then we all should stand by what we say or believe or refrain from using diminishing words. We should all accept that we here are no first-hand witnesses, but influenced by the media and thuis be a bit more careful. :flowers::flowers:

Durham 05-03-2020 04:10 PM

Will there be a film as well? I hope so.:biggrin:

Lumutqueen 05-03-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311994)
If you didn't believe it (at least some bits), you wouldn't take time to think about it - much less discuss it. And I hate it because that's the way you say the most shaming things, discuss them while not take an open position.

I would refrain from making personal assumptions about a poster, who are, like the royals you don’t have first hand experience of.

I think if you read my posts properly, you would see what my position was.

Osipi 05-03-2020 04:42 PM

All of this has pointed out to me one, big, glaring thing that I don't believe either Harry or Meghan realized the implications of before making their grand exodus out of the Firm and into a life of their own.

The loss of a platform. That was their biggest asset, I believe, when working for the "Firm". It was a grand and glorious global platform where it was exclusively their own with their own causes, incentives and it reached far and wide across the globe. It had a strong foundation being built on models used by the BRF for generations. There was teamwork, there was family and it came with a lot of perks and security and peace of mind (well.. for most royals anyways).

Without this platform, Harry and Meghan are trying to build one in their own style, in their own way and in their own time. Its flimsy at most as if its sitting on poles in swamp land. Their platform seems to mirror other personal platforms out there that really don't get noticed all that much. This book, I believe, is an attempt to cement that platform but when the platform is constructed with paper mache (pages of a book), its not a strong one.

Their biggest loss, to me, was losing their global platform with which they really could have accomplished so many things. Some say that its the media that has driven them away but the media has never looked at the platform itself but rather the people standing on it.

It'll take time and a whole lot of trial and error with some errors impossible to come back from but I'm hoping Harry and Meghan do find what works best for them and they lead happy, productive lives. Only time will tell.

Sun Lion 05-03-2020 05:04 PM

Having the main title as “Finding Freedom” makes me think the book will be focused mostly on the Duke and Duchess exiting the Monarchy.

“Finding Freedom” doesn’t sound like their childhoods, courtship, charity work and such things as might constitute a regular biography. More about getting out and well, finding their freedom.

I’m expecting an expose of all they found “wrong” and their “escape” from it.

I’m also seeing a lot of outlets are running with reports that “The Tig” - either under that name or a new one - may be resurrected and be a big part of the couple’s ongoing plans.

(Another insider has spoken.)

Curryong 05-03-2020 05:58 PM

Harry and Meghan didn't commission this biography, nor did they write it themselves. Like several other royals they gave access to authors for a book featuring themselves in the form of an interview, one interview.

However, to read some reactions here, one would think that Harry and Meghan had written every word themselves, all of it attacking the BRF, Harry's relatives, and personally approved every word written by Omid and Carolyn.

Speaking for myself, I'll wait and see until August and then read this book before speculating on its contents.

acdc1 05-03-2020 08:12 PM

So if I’m understanding this correctly, this is of course no means an official autobiography or biography, but they have given an interview to the author? That indicates, to me at least, that they’ve authorized this and have at least some degree of participation.

For a couple who constantly decry the media and purportedly left the royal family in large part to escape media attention and the spotlight, it seems like they’ve been doing their darndest to stay in the spotlight (moving to LA- the world capital of paparazzi and the media, their many announcements, this book). I hope that they are able to find their own happiness and a role in society that gives them meaning and joy, but it seems to me like they have lost their platform and footing and they know it, and are desperately trying to grasp any kind of attention that they can to stay relevant.

akina21 05-03-2020 08:54 PM

Finding Freedom ... but not from Daddy's money .

Osipi 05-03-2020 09:20 PM

The whole concept of "freedom" is what gets to me. Insinuating through that word, they're insinuating that they were in some kind of bondage and restricted and curtailed as puppets on strings rather than being given the opportunity to have a global platform to make a difference, wealth and security and perks that, of course, no longer exists and the "freedom" to make their lives as they wished it to be.

I don't think its sunken in yet just how much they've really lost by finding "freedom". Harry more so than Meghan as Harry has never known differently. Its like the old saying to tell a teenager to leave home while they still know everything. Growing into adulthood is a rude awakening to say the least. I think both Harry and Meghan are going to find their own "awakenings" that comes with their "freedom".

Countessmeout 05-03-2020 10:12 PM

They don't have to be royal to have a platform. Meghan already had a platform for her charity work.

I am sorry it may have been a gilded and very luxurious one, but being a senior royal still has many restrictions and bonds. Where they live, what they can speak out about, what charities they work with. And you're right, it is 'daddy's money' because as senior working royals they couldn't have jobs. Unlike the Cambridges who will one day have Cornwall and later Lancaster as their own source of money, Harry and Meghan would always have to rely on Daddy and later brother for income. And that is not freedom.

They didn't want to cut all binds. Their plan to be part royal was vetoed. They wished to have the freedom that the Yorks do. To have jobs, and make their own lives, and still support charities and be a visible royal. Honestly it makes far more sense. People constantly whinging about the size of the royal family. How better to deal with that, then other then the heir and his wife (and his heir and wife), have the other royals be part time.

Meghan already knows what they face. She isn't some trust fund child who is going into the world for the first time on her own. She worked hard all her life to build what she had before Harry. She is just going back to that, not to some new life she has no idea about.

Now yes they are free. They are free to make money, support what charities they choose and make their every day decisions themselves. Not have to worry their charity choice is 'too political'. Worry that their business is 'only using royal links'. Decide where to live, travel, educate their son, choices that wont be dominated by what the royal image is expected to be.

And if the royals are hurting for their help, well the Yorks are around to step up. Shame just like the Yorks, that they have members who are going to be working so hard for charity and helping others and the BRF will get no credit, because they are 'private'. All the people complaining the royals aren't doing enough work to be worth the value they are paid, will never take this work into account. That their loss.

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312018)
The whole concept of "freedom" is what gets to me. Insinuating through that word, they're insinuating that they were in some kind of bondage and restricted and curtailed as puppets on strings rather than being given the opportunity to have a global platform to make a difference, wealth and security and perks that, of course, no longer exists and the "freedom" to make their lives as they wished it to be.

I don't think its sunken in yet just how much they've really lost by finding "freedom". Harry more so than Meghan as Harry has never known differently. Its like the old saying to tell a teenager to leave home while they still know everything. Growing into adulthood is a rude awakening to say the least. I think both Harry and Meghan are going to find their own "awakenings" that comes with their "freedom".

I feel now that Meghan put on an act while she and Harry were dating, that she pretended that she admired and respected the BRF, that (when it got serious) she understood (because no way did Harry not explicitly get into this with her) that her life was never going to be the same, that she wouldn’t be free anymore to do exactly as she wished. IMO, she put on this act, biding her time do that once she was inside the BRF, she could make changes. Unfortunately for Meghan, she underestimated the strength of the institution, and I think that’s annoyed and frustrated her. Hence, she and Harry started plotting their exit less than a year and a half into their marriage.

I’m not blaming this all on Meghan, but her influence over Harry is strong and he’ll do anything to make her happy, including ditching the only life he’s ever known, his family and his country. In so doing, he’s acting so unlike the lovable Harry - and this is on him.

Ultimately, I think Meghan will be happy. Harry? I think he will suppress any unhappiness he may feel ...

Osipi 05-03-2020 11:38 PM

The crux of the matter actually is the message that its sending out by being published so soon after the exodus to "freedom". From what it sounds like to me, is that with this exodus, the Sussexes and the authors (who, BTW, would *not* publish this book if it went against the grain of the Sussex plan) are trying to assure that the general public does *not* forget who they are, where they've come from and perhaps get a glimpse into where they're going.

What led up to all this in their lives, their possible motives of which we cannot and will probably never know, doesn't matter. What matters is what this book is supposed to accomplish. What will the book tell us? I don't know. Why are they going to release it to the public in August is anybody's guess. What the results of the book are and how well it sells is also up in the air.

Part of me thinks that they feel they still hold the acclaim and the love and praise they've witnessed in the past. Part of me thinks they want that really to continue very badly and part of me thinks this is not the way to go about it.

Actions speak louder than words and instead of the world seeing a book come out about the couple, it would have been more beneficial to actually launch their "foundation" or whatever it is to be, show their business plans and goals and establish themselves through deeds and *then* maybe cooperate with a book once their new lives are established.

But that's just me. A lot of me is beginning to lose interest in this couple. Weird eh? :eek:

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312029)
The crux of the matter actually is the message that its sending out by being published so soon after the exodus to "freedom". From what it sounds like to me, is that with this exodus, the Sussexes and the authors (who, BTW, would *not* publish this book if it went against the grain of the Sussex plan) are trying to assure that the general public does *not* forget who they are, where they've come from and perhaps get a glimpse into where they're going.

What led up to all this in their lives, their possible motives of which we cannot and will probably never know, doesn't matter. What matters is what this book is supposed to accomplish. What will the book tell us? I don't know. Why are they going to release it to the public in August is anybody's guess. What the results of the book are and how well it sells is also up in the air.

Part of me thinks that they feel they still hold the acclaim and the love and praise they've witnessed in the past. Part of me thinks they want that really to continue very badly and part of me thinks this is not the way to go about it.

Actions speak louder than words and instead of the world seeing a book come out about the couple, it would have been more beneficial to actually launch their "foundation" or whatever it is to be, show their business plans and goals and establish themselves through deeds and *then* maybe cooperate with a book once their new lives are established.

But that's just me. A lot of me is beginning to lose interest in this couple. Weird eh? :eek:

Yeah, like I mentioned before, this book is not a traditional biography - based on what we know, it’s got the Sussexes fingerprints all over it. Anything in the book will have been approved by them, I have no doubt. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of outline of a future plan somewhere in the book.

I think they’re blind, to be honest. Through their self-centered, disrespectful actions, they’ve squandered most of the goodwill people felt for them - it’s especially disappointing for Harry, who everyone loved. Yet, they don’t see this and, in fact, keep putting their feet in their mouths. They have about the worst PR I’ve ever seen.

Not so weird, actually. Harry and Meghan are exhausting, high-maintenance, and I can see how it must be increasingly difficult to support them. I don’t find them especially interesting, perhaps because I have zero interest in celebrity and the LA lifestyle. They have all these newfound celeb friends, and it leaves me absolutely cold.

Heavs 05-04-2020 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312029)

I agree that they should have let their actions speak for them for a while before this. Although maybe they were planning on it and due to the current crisis all those plans have been dropped but the book is still coming out.
Although originally this book was supposed to be published in June so maybe they were planning this as a way of launching themselves solo on the world stage anyway.

If you title a book "Finding Freedom" then to be you have "our heroes" and "the bad guys" or at least the "bad institution" they *had* to escape from in order to do all their amazing good works. And they're perfectly justified in all their actions to do this. Of course I might be wrong and it's very balanced but I don't think it's going to be a "there were mistakes on both sides, everyone is great and we wish them well but this is the path for us" story.

I think they might well feel they have lost something of their platform, obviously not their fame and technically their titles but every announcement they make has reminders that they're still royals and they complained about not using them whilst others in the family still had them but worked commercially. They aren't planning on raising their family quietly they're in a world where image and branding matters a huge amount and HRH The Duke and Duchess made them unique.

As for co-operation vs authorisation vs basically ghost written for them, I don't think Omid Scobie is going to write anything they disagree with or that paints them in a bad light. He certainly wouldn't be alone in that in the annals of royal biographers but the news they co operated in this book so soon after everything that happened and is still happening paints the picture this is exactly what they want out there.

lucien 05-04-2020 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 2310179)
Due out this coming August, this new book is being reported as having had co-operation from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex themselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-Royals.html

Thoroughly modern Royals??!!

These two certainly are not.They gave up that bit.Point.
Thoroughly modern...Really..They´re wimpsical to a fault!

Denville 05-04-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312027)
I feel now that Meghan put on an act while she and Harry were dating, that she pretended that she admired and respected the BRF, that (when it got serious) she understood (because no way did Harry not explicitly get into this with her) that her life was never going to be the same, that she wouldn’t be free anymore to do exactly as she wished. IMO, she put on this act, biding her time do that once she was inside the BRF, she could make changes. Unfortunately for Meghan, she underestimated the strength of the institution, and I think that’s annoyed and frustrated her. Hence, she and Harry started plotting their exit less than a year and a half into their marriage.

I’m not blaming this all on Meghan, but her influence over Harry is strong and he’ll do anything to make her happy, including ditching the only life he’s ever known, his family and his country. In so doing, he’s acting so unlike the lovable Harry - and this is on him.

Ultimately, I think Meghan will be happy. Harry? I think he will suppress any unhappiness he may feel ...

In my more cynical moments, I find myself wondering if she ever intended to stick out the job.. or if she always had an idea of usng the RF and her time there as a full time royal, to boost her chances of a business career of some kind. Perhaps she did think that in a year or 2 they could go part time as they wanted.. and somehow Harry missed the memo that its not possible to be a working royal, getting public money and representing the queen and also have a private business. The queen allowed it with Edward and it didn't work so she had to get him to stop and become a full time royal. And that was on a smaller scale than Meghan intends IMO. And it didn't work. Perhaps Meghan thought they could do that, Harry alos thought so and they were angry when they found out that the queen was sayng a very firm no.. Possibly Meghan doesn't mind all that much, in the sense that she has had a year or so as Princess which has given her a boost, and she reckons that is enough to put her in a palce where she can mix with the Alist celebs and make money and do some charity work of her choosing.
Yes being royal comes with restrictions. A royal has wealth and privilege.. he also has a lot of press attention and is open to public comment and criticism.. There are restrictions on what he or she can do or say, what charities they can support, how they behave in public, how they behave with other members of the RF etc. But that's life. Nothing is free. If you are born to or marry into royal life, you get the immense wealth and privilege, and you also have to put up with the restrictions.
If Megs desire was to do more "adventurous" charity work that might verge on the political, the RF isnt' the place to do it. but to get the money to do that kind of work, she and Harry will have to engage in a business career and make money and how much time will they then have for the charity side fo things? If she was willing to put up with the limitations of being a working royal, she could do good, if that is her big thing.. but I think that being "free".. not being told "You can't do this or that, you have to live here and not tehre" etc is more important to her

Hallo girl 05-04-2020 05:00 AM

I must admit I am uncomfortable with the us of the word' freedom' in the title.
They did want and decided they were going to have a different life, a new life ,a life free of royal limitations.
I am not criticising them for following their desires but just wished they had used a different word.
There are people in the world today who know what it really is to want freedom.

Denville 05-04-2020 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallo girl (Post 2312061)
I must admit I am uncomfortable with the us of the word' freedom' in the title.
They did want and decided they were going to have a different life, a new life ,a life free of royal limitations.
I am not criticising them for following their desires but just wished they had used a different word.
There are people in the world today who know what it really is to want freedom.

They have not written the book, and they may not have anything to do with the choice of title. But they're not in quite the same boat as other royals who have cooperated with jouirnalists on books and bios about themselves.. this book Is coming out just after they've done something very controversial.. so I think that since the Corona crisis has made life very difficult and firghtening for everyone, they should draw back form the book.. perhaps it would be wiser if the books' publication was delayed a bit, so that we don't hear about their "struggles" when the rest of the world is struggling with something so terrifying...

Muhler 05-04-2020 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312059)
In my more cynical moments, I find myself wondering if she ever intended to stick out the job.. or if she always had an idea of usng the RF and her time there as a full time royal, to boost her chances of a business career of some kind. Perhaps she did think that in a year or 2 they could go part time as they wanted.. and somehow Harry missed the memo that its not possible to be a working royal, getting public money and representing the queen and also have a private business. The queen allowed it with Edward and it didn't work so she had to get him to stop and become a full time royal. And that was on a smaller scale than Meghan intends IMO. And it didn't work. Perhaps Meghan thought they could do that, Harry alos thought so and they were angry when they found out that the queen was sayng a very firm no.. Possibly Meghan doesn't mind all that much, in the sense that she has had a year or so as Princess which has given her a boost, and she reckons that is enough to put her in a palce where she can mix with the Alist celebs and make money and do some charity work of her choosing.
Yes being royal comes with restrictions. A royal has wealth and privilege.. he also has a lot of press attention and is open to public comment and criticism.. There are restrictions on what he or she can do or say, what charities they can support, how they behave in public, how they behave with other members of the RF etc. But that's life. Nothing is free. If you are born to or marry into royal life, you get the immense wealth and privilege, and you also have to put up with the restrictions.
If Megs desire was to do more "adventurous" charity work that might verge on the political, the RF isnt' the place to do it. but to get the money to do that kind of work, she and Harry will have to engage in a business career and make money and how much time will they then have for the charity side fo things? If she was willing to put up with the limitations of being a working royal, she could do good, if that is her big thing.. but I think that being "free".. not being told "You can't do this or that, you have to live here and not tehre" etc is more important to her

No, I don't think it was premeditated.

I think Meghan and Harry somehow believed they could reform the BRF from within, with themselves taking the lead by example.
Probably they also had an overrated view of their own popularity and influence in regards to the public. Missing that when it comes to royalty the general public and the royalists in particular tend to be more conservative that the royals themselves.

What I am personally convinced of is that H&M have build up a kind of fantasy-vision of their future and the roles they are going to play in that fantasy-vision. - And if no one contradicts them, they are inevitably going to believe their in own imaginations. There are countless examples of that.
So I believe they were basically running away from realities when the BRF and others were about to put a needle in the fantasy-balloon.
They ran away from Canada when their fantasy-vision was about to be faced with reality. So now they live in LA, still within a fantasy-vision and perhaps they will try and run away again when reality catch up with them one more time? No later than when all this Corona-terror is over. But where will they run to next?
They are basically acting like lovesick teenagers. (*)

If I'm right, and I fear I am, it's really tragic to look at. Especially for Harry, because he is not used to a "normal" life. And he has burned quite a few bridges behind him!

(*) You don't have to be a teenager to react irrational when in love, mind you!

muriel 05-04-2020 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312059)

I think you raise some very interesting points. I have stated on more than one occassion that I do not think she entered this marriage with view to leaving the BRF so promptly. I think she was disillussioned quite quickly on what being married to the 6th in line actually entailed, and it was perhaps very different to what she had envisaged.

However, the speed of her exit, that the website had been registered almost a year ago, the way all her communications were often timed for a US audience (foe example, that brief interview after Archie's birth), her comments on the Africa documentary etc makes me sometime question my thoughts outlined above.

Denville 05-04-2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312064)

I think Meghan and Harry somehow believed they could reform the BRF from within, with themselves taking the lead by example.
Probably they also had an overrated view of their own popularity and influence in regards to the public. Missing that when it comes to royalty the general public and the royalists in particular tend to be more conservative that the royals themselves.

What I am personally convinced of is that H&M have build up a kind of fantasy-vision of their future and the roles they are going to play in that fantasy-vision. - And if no one contradicts them, they are inevitably going to believe their in own imaginations. There are countless examples of that.
So I believe they were basically running away from realities when the BRF and others were about to put a needle in the fantasy-balloon.
They ran away from Canada when their fantasy-vision was about to be faced with reality. So now they live in LA, still within a fantasy-vision and perhaps they will try and run away again when reality catch up with them one more time? No later than when all this Corona-terror is over. But where will they run to next?

If I'm right, and I fear I am, it's really tragic to look at. Especially for Harry, because he is not used to a "normal" life. And he has burned quite a few bridges behind him!

Perhaps I am cynical.. but I thought that thy were "sincere" in going to Canada, but then the move to LA struck me as very odd... If it was to be with Doria, why not go there in the first place? Was the initial move to Canada a blind to soften up the public and the RF.. and when they found tht travel was going to be impossible and the Canadains were no longer going to pay for tehir security, they made the move to LA in a rush.. Its possible that they did always intend to make that move..but the problems of Corona drove them into dong it sooner.

Denville 05-04-2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2312066)
I think you raise some very interesting points. I have stated on more than one occassion that I do not think she entered this marriage with view to leaving the BRF so promptly. I think she was disillussioned quite quickly on what being married to the 6th in line actually entailed, and it was perhaps very different to what she had envisaged.

However, the speed of her exit, that the website had been registered almost a year ago, the way all her communications were often timed for a US audience (foe example, that brief interview after Archie's birth), her comments on the Africa documentary etc makes me sometime question my thoughts outlined above.

Thank you. I don't take to her but I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt..but if she got disillusioned with the RF, she DID do it very quickly, didn't she? Im sure that the queen would have said "Meghan you haven't been with us very long, why not stick it out for another few years, give it 5 years and then if you still are unhappy and thngs have not improved, you can go with my blessing.." And barely a year ISNT very long to adjust to everything.
BU-t when you point out that the website was registered quite a while ago, that she had that baby shower which definitely cooled the public on her to an extent, it feels like she was "fed up" with royal life form much earlier on.. (if that's what the problem was) and there was the interview in Africa, which I sort of wondered was "preparing the public for them leaving because they weren't happy"...I can't help feeling that perhaps the people who said nastily that she was always in it for the publicity and never intended to stay.. were nearer the truth...

Claire 05-04-2020 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312064)

Agree - I really am getting adolescent temperament here. No one understands them. they will do things there way and no one can tell them differently. It is them against the world.

Muhler 05-04-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312067)
Perhaps I am cynical.. but I thought that thy were "sincere" in going to Canada, but then the move to LA struck me as very odd... If it was to be with Doria, why not go there in the first place? Was the initial move to Canada a blind to soften up the public and the RF.. and when they found tht travel was going to be impossible and the Canadains were no longer going to pay for tehir security, they made the move to LA in a rush.. Its possible that they did always intend to make that move..but the problems of Corona drove them into dong it sooner.

Well, I think their move to Canada was for real. They really intended to live and work from Canada.
But I think it soon dawned on them that their stay really wasn't that popular and - this is something Canadians can answer better than me - it was quietly made clear to them that there were limitations and conditions they had to adhere to if wishing to stay in Canada. And not wanting to be "curbed" the logic move is to move on to a place where they can be "free" to live out their visions. LA. A place at least Meghan is familiar with and seemingly with a "network" that can help and support them. I.e. Hollywood celebs.
Considering the number of high ranking Hollywood celebs at their wedding that thought is perhaps reasonable.
But again I think H&M miscalculated their own position. The hollywood celebs were to take part in a royal wedding. An ex-royal, now duke, couple with a less than glamorous reputation in the eyes of the general public, may not be of that big interest.

I shall look very much forward to this book, because I think it will indirectly answer quite a few questions. - And merit at least a couple of hundred pages here on TRF. ;)

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2312066)

I just find it extremely hard to believe that Meghan had no idea of what to expect, that she entered into the marriage as an innocent. She’d been somewhat exposed to the lifestyle while she and Harry dated, and I have to assume he made it clear to her what she should expect. She went into this wanting to change a 1000 year old institution, which for me is the height of arrogance. When she didn’t get what she wanted, that was it - she was done. I still can’t get over her whining about not being supported, as if her new family didn’t care for her. Notice we didn’t hear any such comments after the wedding, when Charles walked her down the aisle, or even before, when she was invited to stay at Sandringham for Christmas. Her “no one has asked if I’m ok” came after all that, and by then she and Harry had already started plotting their way out. IMO, her opinions of her new family members were colored by her frustrations at the limitations of her new life.

I think you’re last thoughts are closer to the mark.

Heavs 05-04-2020 07:07 AM

I think she/they were initially sincere, and to an extent that they still mean to do good in the world. It was a fantastic opportunity to be the Commonwealth/international couple" to have a platform to advocate to issues close to her heart as Harry had done in setting up Sentenbale and Invictus Games and Heads Together etc. It was also all a whirlwind and very exciting.

Things seemed to go wrong with that fairly quickly, especially with all the leaks both for and against Meghan last year, her family and realising that it couldn't be all crusading philanthropy, that there were a lot of restrictions, and 6th in mind whilst still a senior royal, has to fit in with what the overall vision of the Monarchy is.

Hence two progressive, bright young things were being held back from their true potential by a cold and musty institution that didn't understand them together with media determined to bring them down meant they might escape everything (except all the best bits they wanted to "collaborate" on) and step out of the prison into freedom. Which does seem to have started to be thought about long before January which means it might have been a matter of months after the wedding, which certainly isn't long enough to give it a fair shake after so much change for her in less than two years.

Plus they saw they could make a lot of money commercialising "Sussex Royal" and now "Archewell" if they went "part time". And the book is the beginning of this.

Marengo 05-04-2020 07:15 AM

The topic of this thread is the new book about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Please stay on topic. OT posts will be deleted.

OtagoLass 05-04-2020 07:28 AM

'Thoroughly modern royals'?

H&M are not even Royalty even more! And what are they doing that makes them 'modern'? they dont have any firm plans in place other than swanning around Hollywood.

Term is not exactly original either I remember Sophie and Edward being described as 'modern royals' in the 1990s. At least those two went into their marriage with good intentions as they already had established careers and were still doing their bit for the RF. But it still ended badly, and crumbled down upon them.

Claire 05-04-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OtagoLass (Post 2312095)
'Thoroughly modern royals'?

H&M are not even Royalty even more! And what are they doing that makes them 'modern'? they dont have any firm plans in place other than swanning around Hollywood.

Term is not exactly original either I remember Sophie and Edward being described as 'modern royals' in the 1990s. At least those two went into their marriage with good intentions as they already had established careers and were still doing their bit for the RF. But it still ended badly, and crumbled down upon them.

The Queen was called a modern monarchy in the 1940's. Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah were called it. I think even Margaret was called a modern Princess. :)
It is just the terms has negative connotations - if you modern someone is backwards.

Pranter 05-04-2020 08:42 AM

A) They didn't pick the title. Even if the book is 'pro Sussex' so what? Not the first time a book is pro-member of the BRF. If it was negative about the Sussexes would that be more acceptable? That certainly seems to be indicated by the comments here.

B) We've not seen a single phrase from the book that I'm aware of. So how are ppl deducing this is a hatchet job on the BRF?

C) This is another book in the long line of books about Royals which they may (or may not of, we don't know yet) have given an interview or been asked about something in the book. If they did give an interview it's nothing more than half of the BRF have already done.

D) Everyone needs to stop clutching their pearls and imagining all sorts of the worst possible senarios about the book...wait and see what it actually says.

LaRae

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2312110)
A) They didn't pick the title. Even if the book is 'pro Sussex' so what? Not the first time a book is pro-member of the BRF. If it was negative about the Sussexes would that be more acceptable? That certainly seems to be indicated by the comments here.

C) This is another book in the long line of books about Royals which they may (or may not of, we don't know yet) have given an interview or been asked about something in the book. If they did give an interview it's nothing more than half of the BRF have already done.

A) If Meghan and Henry have had close ties to this book as have been claimed, then I would have fully expected them to sign off on every element of the book. Including the front cover picture and title.

C) For me, what makes this potentially different from other royals books, even just from the title alone. Is the claim of Modern Royals and the use of the word Freedom. Those aren’t phrases and words bounded out by the royal family too often, for good reason. If, the DM articles about the “tell all” nature of this book are true, then it does completely differ from any other royal biographer except for Mortons infamous expose.

ACO 05-04-2020 10:41 AM

The authors announced this on their social media today. This book started 2 years ago. It has been in production for a while. Also the authors make sure to say it is not an official biography nor endorsed by them. Also no interviews. They are two corespondents who seemingly decided after the engagement to write a book on their marriage journey. So yes it is like most these books out. Only difference people have issue with the author but that can be said for any of these books out here.

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2312125)
This book started 2 years ago. It has been in production for a while. Also the authors make sure to say it is not an official biography nor endorsed by them. Also no interviews. They are two corespondents who seemingly decided before their marriage to write a book on their journey. Like most these books out.

Who says the book started 2 years ago? The book charts the couples relationship from the start apparently, doesn’t say the book started two years ago.

Omid, who has chosen to post, Carolyn has simply retweeted this information has also been very clear in saying “I’m looking forward to sharing much more about #FindingFreedom when our world is in a better place (and it will be[emoji172])”. They’ve announced now, because the listings have gone up and the press are talking about it.

Neither party (Scobie or Durand) confirm nor deny any interviews with the Sussexes.

ACO 05-04-2020 11:07 AM

Actually they did. Omid and Caroyln spoke to the Huffington Post. Also Omid spoke to Harper's Bazaar.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/megha...ushpmg00000004

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ocialflowTWHBZ

Blog Real 05-04-2020 11:10 AM

I think this is the cover of this book:
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...-portada-z.jpg

Muhler 05-04-2020 11:35 AM

Thank you ACO.

I think this is the most important part about this book I have seen yet:
"The aim of this book is to portray the real Harry and Meghan, a couple who continue to inspire many around the world through their humanitarian and charitable work but are often inaccurately portrayed,” the authors said in a joint statement.

The two added that their “mission has been motivated by a desire to tell an accurate version of their journey and finally present the truth of misreported stories that have become gospel simply because of the amount of times they have been repeated,” and signed off by thanking their sources.

The book is not an official or endorsed biography from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It also doesn’t claim to feature interviews with Meghan and Harry, though the two authors, particularly Scobie, are said to be extremely close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
"

- My interest in this book has just fallen orders of magnitudes. Without direct quotes from H&M it's just another biased book about them. This time no doubt in a very positive light.
Was this a book about my own royal family I wouldn't waste money on it.

muriel 05-04-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312138)
Thank you ACO.

"The aim of this book is to portray the real Harry and Meghan, a couple who continue to inspire many around the world through their humanitarian and charitable work but are often inaccurately portrayed,” the authors said in a joint statement.

The two added that their “mission has been motivated by a desire to tell an accurate version of their journey and finally present the truth of misreported stories that have become gospel simply because of the amount of times they have been repeated,” and signed off by thanking their sources.

The book is not an official or endorsed biography from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. It also doesn’t claim to feature interviews with Meghan and Harry, though the two authors, particularly Scobie, are said to be extremely close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
"

- My interest in this book has just fallen orders of magnitudes. Without direct quotes from H&M it's just another biased book about them. This time no doubt in a very positive light.

I suspect it will be little more than a hagiography!

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 11:59 AM

Thoroughly Modern Royals:The Real World of Harry and Meghan

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2312130)
Actually they did. Omid and Caroyln spoke to the Huffington Post. Also Omid spoke to Harper's Bazaar.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/megha...ushpmg00000004

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ocialflowTWHBZ

Thank you for providing links, confirming your statements. Seeing as your original post only mention the “reporters” social media, none of said information is including in their tweets.

This book is now just another biased, one sided sycophantic novel which will no doubt contain very little truth and a lot of supposition, IMO.

Fem 05-04-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Thank you ACO.

"

What I found the most interesting was this fragment:

Quote:

And just because there isn’t an official sign off from Harry and Meghan now doesn’t mean there might not be in the future. After many years of speculation, Andrew Morton revealed in 1997 that the main source for his 1992 biography of Princess Diana, called “Diana, Her True Story,” was the late royal herself. He admitted Diana’s involvement one month after she died in a 1997 car crash in Paris.
It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312078)
I just find it extremely hard to believe that Meghan had no idea of what to expect, that she entered into the marriage as an innocent. She’d been somewhat exposed to the lifestyle while she and Harry dated, and I have to assume he made it clear to her what she should expect.

Here I am not sure that Harrytold her what to expect of life as a Royal. He never seemed to fit in too well with them after all. And I'm not sure he was aware just how strong a woman she is. I still believe the queen and Charles were completely enarmoured by her and probably still "give her time" right now to come to her senses (and bring Harry back).

But the tabloids and their way to try to rip her one and bring her down was too much. She was not loved by the media and they let her know about it. IIRC they gave Diana 18 months before they focussed on her spending too much money, getting rid of staff she didn't like, not preparing enough for her Royal appointments and started to hit on her. And that had an impact of her marriage with Charles. Here now we have a woman who is loved by her husband, but the tabloid influence was surely felt as much as it was then and where Diana could not go as a young bride, Meghan could and take her husband with her.

I have no idea where Harry and Meghan will end up. Maybe they return into the Royal fold and work it out, even if it will be tough. Maybe they set up their own charity foundation and work their whole time there without appearing too much in the public. I still wish them a good ending and a happy ever after.

This book and the obnoxious title is grabbing at the current situation and trying to fit in with the story. I am not sure this is what Harry and Meghan need at the moment or even want. But (other than others here) I am not sure they are so involved. IMHO the idea of a book started out when the tabloids wrote all those lies abo9ut them and Scobie offered them a book where the situation could be rectified. And then all that stuff happened and the story got its own drive and now, IMHO, they have to live with what Scobie writes. And that is not good for them.

In a way, Harry is now set to fulfill the life his mother left when she died. Only he is Royal born, so could come back. We have seen just what kind of people Diana had to befriend in the last year of her life - let's hope Meghan and Harry have a better life in front of them.

Lumutqueen 05-04-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fem (Post 2312148)

It's very "we can neither confirm nor deny". This, in addition to Omid Scobie being the author, really makes me think the Sussexes were consulted on this project.

What a good spot!

Muhler 05-04-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fem (Post 2312148)

Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2312162)
Oh, I'm sure they were.

But without quotes or an official okay from H&M, it's little better than an article by a hardcore fan of H&M uploaded on a blog.

What I think we can be very sure of is that this book will fire several broadsides at - well, insert your guess here...

This book will no doubt cause a lot of debate, also here, but without quotes from H&M, or comments/statements about the book or parts of the book by H&M it's worthless.

The only thing that could make it interesting is if named people very close to H&M say: I said this and that to H&M and they said this and that to me. And I said it on that specific day/occasion.

So H&M can claim plausible deniability of even pretty outrageous passages in the book and H&M detractors can argue forever that H&M simply must be behind XYZ stated in the book.
But as a factual reference, the book will be more than likely be worthless.

- Give me named quotes or it's hearsay, speculations and opinions.

Now that reminds me of the Morton-book...

Osipi 05-04-2020 01:46 PM

Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.

I have to admit too that when I first read "Thoroughly Modern Royals", the movie "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with Julie Andrews flashed through my addled head. :biggrin:

Hallo girl 05-04-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312183)
Just one observation from me. It stands to logic that if, at this time, Omid Scobie (a co-author) is a Sussex "golden boy", there is no way he would even think to endanger his position right now publishing a book unless he was pretty secure in knowing there would be no backlash from the Sussexes over the book.

This is what tells me he's had the "all clear" to go ahead with the project. Simple.
:

Oh you are so right, it is that simple.

ACO 05-04-2020 02:43 PM

If he is not spreading lies and attacking them -- why would they care? He not doing anything different from any of the other correspondents who have books out. Durant has actually said some unflattering things about Meghan and she is the co-author.

Muhler is right in that people will believe they had involvement whether they did or not but that doesn't change the fact it is not what most implied it was. It literally is another unofficial royal biography to add to the many already out and to come...

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thank you ACO.

"

The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.

Kataryn 05-04-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312208)
The key to me is that the authors have a goal with this book, and it’s to correct any misrepresentations of H and M that they think have been repeated over and over again. So, clearly they are now coming into this book with a strong bias - unlike most successful biographies/non-fiction books. Personally, I believe I already know the story behind Megxit and events preceding it and succeeding it. I believe HM and Charles did what they could to help Harry, I believe they wanted to work something out for them, I believe H and M pulled a Veruca Salt : “I don’t care how, I want it now”. Any misunderstandings, IMO, will just be the self-centered POV of the Sussexes as defended by these two “reporters”.

Oh, to be so sure to understand people you never even met...

Betsypaige 05-04-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2312150)
Here I am not sure that Harrytold her what to expect of life as a Royal. He never seemed to fit in too well with them after all. And I'm not sure he was aware just how strong a woman she is. I still believe the queen and Charles were completely enarmoured by her and probably still "give her time" right now to come to her senses (and bring Harry back).

But the tabloids and their way to try to rip her one and bring her down was too much. She was not loved by the media and they let her know about it. IIRC they gave Diana 18 months before they focussed on her spending too much money, getting rid of staff she didn't like, not preparing enough for her Royal appointments and started to hit on her. And that had an impact of her marriage with Charles. Here now we have a woman who is loved by her husband, but the tabloid influence was surely felt as much as it was then and where Diana could not go as a young bride, Meghan could and take her husband with her.

I have no idea where Harry and Meghan will end up. Maybe they return into the Royal fold and work it out, even if it will be tough. Maybe they set up their own charity foundation and work their whole time there without appearing too much in the public. I still wish them a good ending and a happy ever after.

This book and the obnoxious title is grabbing at the current situation and trying to fit in with the story. I am not sure this is what Harry and Meghan need at the moment or even want. But (other than others here) I am not sure they are so involved. IMHO the idea of a book started out when the tabloids wrote all those lies abo9ut them and Scobie offered them a book where the situation could be rectified. And then all that stuff happened and the story got its own drive and now, IMHO, they have to live with what Scobie writes. And that is not good for them.

In a way, Harry is now set to fulfill the life his mother left when she died. Only he is Royal born, so could come back. We have seen just what kind of people Diana had to befriend in the last year of her life - let's hope Meghan and Harry have a better life in front of them.

If Harry wasn’t aware of how strong-willed Meghan is, then that tells me he rushed into marriage. Even if I concede your point about him being somewhat of a Royal misfit - which I’m not doing just yet - I still would find it impossible to believe that he wouldn’t have schooled her in what she could expect. If he didn’t, then aside from being foolish, he’d have been unfair to her.

I’m sure HM and Charles do care about Meghan - and, if those early reports are to be believed, Charles had a special relationship with her. That doesn’t mean they aren’t frustrated with her or find her difficult at times.....I don’t want to speculate much on that, but certainly they want Harry to be happy, and she makes him happy.

I loved Meghan and supported her early on - my posts in the H and M threads are testament to that. I agree that the media was vile - not everyone, but many, and often. She had every right to be angry, and if that’s what is driving her, I’d understand. What I don’t understand is her seeming upset at the BRF -and her and Harry’s almost disdain for them.

You could be right about the book - and if I’m wrong about the content, I will gladly admit it. I think a huge issue with them is that they have awful PR, so that whatever message they are trying to convey is getting lost.

Missjersey 05-04-2020 05:10 PM

They maybe didn’t pick the title or give a verbal authorization but the cynic in me thinks the nod of approval was given.

I blame Harry more for this whole fiasco (not meaning the book). To me, someone else “acted” their way straight up until they sealed the deal at the altar...

rominet09 05-04-2020 07:02 PM

I read that the book named "Fiding Freedom" will be on sale on August 11

QueenMathilde 05-04-2020 09:43 PM

I don't know. I think the tell all book is a mistake. Especially if they trash the royal family in any way. I liked how they were out delivering food during the shut down - they should keep doing things like that. Meghan was only in the royal family for two years.

Hallo girl 05-05-2020 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2312164)
Now that reminds me of the Morton-book...

Due to certain elements of the Morton book,plus the use of family photographs , it was highly suspected at the time that Diana had a hand in the book.
Diana had allegedly denied being involved, having never met Morton to discuss a book.

Morton himself denied having spoken to Diana about the book.

The truth came out later, all I am saying is that a 1-2-1 interview is not always required.

Denville 05-05-2020 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallo girl (Post 2312291)
Due to certain elements of the Morton book,plus the use of family photographs , it was highly suspected at the time that Diana had a hand in the book.
Diana had allegedly denied being involved, having never met Morton to discuss a book.

Morton himself denied having spoken to Diana about the book.

The truth came out later, all I am saying is that a 1-2-1 interview is not always required.

Diana's book was partly soucred by her friends talking to Morton..Which was why people suspected that she had more of a hand in it than she was admitting... though she denied having spoken to Morton. but people knew that her friends were not likely to have talked so frankly unless she had igiven them to the OK to speak as they did, and there was as you've said the use of family photos. And then Morton admitted that although she had not met him she had given hm tapes via one of her friends...

Hallo girl 05-05-2020 05:34 AM

The title hints at a tell all but the reality could be marshmallow and fluff, and by that time the money will have been made with no real harm done.
I wonder if any of the press will pay for the exclusive extracts, or will the authors allow early extracts.

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 07:19 AM

From the horse’s mouth .....

I may be ill.

Quote:

Excited to announce that #FindingFreedom, a biography written by myself and @CarolynDurand, will be available worldwide in August.

For the first time, go beyond the headlines and discover the true story of Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex.
https://twitter.com/scobie/status/12...326999046?s=21

Denville 05-05-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312313)

I may be ill.

Why? there are biographies of royals coming out all the time. They are usualy sycophantic. A few are "tell all" but either way, Royals get exaggerated praise and crticisim.

Nico 05-05-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312313)

I may be ill.

"true story" is dropped.
Morton 2.0 here we go ...
What to expect from a "Royal author" who don't use titles properly (i mean : Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex ?).

The ego of this young lad is escalating at the minute ...

Can't wait to be in August, it will be a lot of fun (and hysteria) :rofl::rofl:

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312315)
Why? there are biographies of royals coming out all the time. They are usualy sycophantic. A few are "tell all" but either way, Royals get exaggerated praise and crticisim.

Not to be snippy, but if you want an answer, you can look all over my posts in this thread.

“Go beyond the headlines....discover the true story”. It sounds like a cheesy soap opera in book form.

I think this will be a very poorly written, weirdly personal third person narrative masquerading as a biography of the Sussexes while ultimately dishing on the BRF.

Nico:

Good point - of course Harry is a prince, but it’s not his title. A Prince sounds so much more attractive than a Duke, lol

Quote:

What to expect from a "Royal author" who don't use titles properly (i mean : Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex ?).

Denville 05-05-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312317)
Not to be snippy, but if you want an answer, you can look all over my posts in this thread.

“Go beyond the headlines....discover the true story”. It sounds like a cheesy soap opera in book form.

I think this will be a very poorly written, weirdly personal third person narrative masquerading as a biography of the Sussexes while ultimately dishing on the BRF.

Its probably poorly written, it is probably sycophantic towards the Sussexes.. but a lot of royal coverage is like that. And I doubt if they're going to say much that's negative about the RF. After all, who is helpng H out financially at the moment? Im sure they're not so stupid as to absolutely savage the hand that feeds them.

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312318)
Its probably poorly written, it is probably sycophantic towards the Sussexes.. but a lot of royal coverage is like that. And I doubt if they're going to say much that's negative about the RF. After all, who is helpng H out financially at the moment? Im sure they're not so stupid as to absolutely savage the hand that feeds them.

I admit I find it hard to believe that Harry would go out of his way to trash his father and grandmother....or anyone else...but I’ve never thought it would be a nasty book in that way. It’s just that their official statements often seem to criticize the BRF (especially HM, the monarchy as a whole, Charles) even if they didn’t mean to. They’re very clumsy and sort of bull-in the china shop-ish, and this attempt to set the record straight is likely to be dishy as they reveal their version of events.

Marengo 05-05-2020 08:08 AM

Accusations about stalking have been removed.

We will consider further far-fetched accusations as slander. Posters expressing such slandarous messages will find their account suspended.

Nico 05-05-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312318)

It will be a deception for some then (oh you know who you are), expecting a bombshell revealing from A to Z how Harry and Meghan were the "scapegoats" of those evil and racist Windsors.

Oh well ...

BaiSoSo 05-05-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenMathilde (Post 2312272)
I don't know. I think the tell all book is a mistake. Especially if they trash the royal family in any way. I liked how they were out delivering food during the shut down - they should keep doing things like that. Meghan was only in the royal family for two years.

This isn't a tell-all book and Meghan & Harry did not participate in writing it nor did they provide interviews for the book. It is no different than all the other books that royal reporters have written both positive and negative and it is the only one that I have seen get this much push back. My guess is because it is written by a royal reporter who has been known to be neutral to ALL BRF and indicates that the book will show Meghan (in particular) in a good light and that is not the story some want to be told.

On a good note- the more people talk about it the better the sales... I'm happy for Omid on that piece.

Lumutqueen 05-05-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaiSoSo (Post 2312325)
On a good note- the more people talk about it the better the sales... I'm happy for Omid on that piece.

[...] just because people talk doesn’t translate into sales.

This book will be a hit with Sussex Fans, but ,IMO, it’s not going to be as popular with actual royal followers.

Denville 05-05-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312321)
I admit I find it hard to believe that Harry would go out of his way to trash his father and grandmother....or anyone else...but I’ve never thought it would be a nasty book in that way. It’s just that their official statements often seem to criticize the BRF (especially HM, the monarchy as a whole, Charles) even if they didn’t mean to. They’re very clumsy and sort of bull-in the china shop-ish, and this attempt to set the record straight is likely to be dishy as they reveal their version of events.

Probably. I am sure that Omid is going to put their point of view.. and portray tehm as something special.. but we know that.. I'd just avoid it....

poppy7 05-05-2020 09:06 AM

I am not going to lie. I will buy the book. Just to see. Harry is very like his mother but rather less appealing to be honest. But I wish that he, unlike her, will find happiness in his private life.

Pranter 05-05-2020 09:13 AM

I've already pre-ordered the book. I've read many books about Royals (some of them not even very well known, books or the subject). I've read them by authors I didn't really care for just so I know what it actually says. Then I have a foundation to discuss it and compare it to other info.

LaRae

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2312328)
Cross posted this from the General News thread as it belongs here; just because people talk doesn’t translate into sales.

This book will be a hit with Sussex Fans, but ,IMO, it’s not going to be as popular with actual royal followers.

I completely agree. I suppose it might do more sales now because people have more time to read, but I think this is a niche book - for only a certain segment of people (Sussex stans)

Curryong 05-05-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2312335)
I've already pre-ordered the book. I've read many books about Royals (some of them not even very well known, books or the subject). I've read them by authors I didn't really care for just so I know what it actually says. Then I have a foundation to discuss it and compare it to other info.

LaRae

Same here, I have already preordered this book. I have many books (good, bad and indifferent) about royals of the past and present in my library, mostly BRF but some about individuals in other royal Houses. Some royals I read about I've liked and admired, some I'm neutral about, some I haven't cared for. It's all grist for the mill etc. If you don't read these biographies you won't know as much as if you do, IMO.

Fem 05-05-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2312316)
"true story" is dropped.
Morton 2.0 here we go ...

The ego of this young lad is escalating at the minute ...

Can't wait to be in August, it will be a lot of fun (and hysteria) :rofl::rofl:

You know, I actually really can't wait to read it. I'm even going to pre-order my copy, because one thing for sure - it will be interesting. Scobie is one of the biggest supporters for the Sussexes and I'm curious how everything looks from his perspective. I also think that it will contain quite a lot of "behind the scenes" stories, which are always fun to read. Hopefully Durand will provide a nice balance to the book.

Scobie has never used proper titles, it's always been either "Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan" (really?!) or "Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex" (which, I believe, would be a proper title if they were divorced - or can someone correct me on that?) and that says everything...

Eskimo 05-05-2020 11:53 AM

I am not going to buy the book--let's face reality: The DM is going to publish extracts with rebuttals from "sources" for every single word written in the book

Osipi 05-05-2020 11:54 AM

I know I'll end up buying the book. Its what I do. A day without reading a book is... um... I have no idea. :biggrin:

Just checked the pre-order on Amazon. Nope. Not spending that amount of money on it. I'll wait till I can get it for cheap. ;)

ACO 05-05-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312344)
I completely agree. I suppose it might do more sales now because people have more time to read, but I think this is a niche book - for only a certain segment of people (Sussex stans)

Isn't that most books? Not many folks outside royalist even know all these royal family books exists nor buy them. There will be plenty of anti Meghan books to come to satisfy the other side. In fact, pretty sure one is already coming out.

fabaunty 05-05-2020 02:49 PM

I have read that the book will be published by a company of the Murdoch family , if this is correct it might be that Scobie etc might find their contact limited in the future considering the Sussex"s new policy regarding the British media . Personally I have no doubt that they co-operated in the same way as the late Princess of Wales did with Morton.
However I also feel that many of the " media missteps ", in recent times would not have seemed so awful without the recent world crisis , they/ their adviser's have simply failed to keep pace , being pictured delivering supplies for a charity which had already replaced its volunteers with paid workers , it was not a good image , although I am sure these visit's were made with the best of intention's .

Lumutqueen 05-05-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabaunty (Post 2312401)
I have read that the book will be published by a company of the Murdoch family , if this is correct

The books being published by HarperCollins whose parent company is NewsCorp where the Murdoch Family do retain the largest voting share.

However, I don’t think Murdochs links to HarperCollins simply in way of ownership will have my effect on the publishing.

Osipi 05-05-2020 04:01 PM

I don't think so either. Murdoch owns a *lot* of media companies with a lot of them being based in the US. Murdoch is in no way primarily "British" media although he does have some holdings. :smile:

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo (Post 2312362)
I am not going to buy the book--let's face reality: The DM is going to publish extracts with rebuttals from "sources" for every single word written in the book

Neither am I. If I ever get a chance to go to a bookstore again, I’d probably glance through it to see how bad it is, lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2312378)
Isn't that most books? Not many folks outside royalist even know all these royal family books exists nor buy them. There will be plenty of anti Meghan books to come to satisfy the other side. In fact, pretty sure one is already coming out.

Yes, that’s true..

Personally, while I no longer support Meghan and I’m pissed at Harry, I’m not drooling over the idea of anti-H and M books; it never occurred to me to even be interested in them.

MARG 05-05-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2312297)
Diana's book was partly soucred by her friends talking to Morton..Which was why people suspected that she had more of a hand in it than she was admitting... though she denied having spoken to Morton. but people knew that her friends were not likely to have talked so frankly unless she had igiven them to the OK to speak as they did, and there was as you've said the use of family photos. And then Morton admitted that although she had not met him she had given him tapes via one of her friends...

Diana was totally and intimately involved in the Morton book and yes there were tapes. However, after her death there was also galley proofs with Diana's corrections, etc. as proof of the "accuracy" of the new issue with information omitted in the original copy I imagine to mitigate some of the shock.

However, the only real similarity between her and her son's situation seems to be the unsubstantiated allegation that his wife sicced her friends on the media to tell "her" side of the story regarding her family and the media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312438)
Yes, that’s true..

Personally, while I no longer support Meghan and I’m pissed at Harry, I’m not drooling over the idea of anti-H and M books; it never occurred to me to even be interested in them.

I am hoping that this is like the several other "approved" biographies that are basically just a lot of boring puff interspersed with points of genuine interest and the clarification of some seemingly shocking situation which I suspect will be the result of the behaviour of H&M poor choice of staff.

However, I leave room to believe and be shocked by revelations of the behaviour of the rest of the immediate BRF. For me, the gilt is well and truly off the gingerbread and I find myself shaking my head that 2020 finds the Duke of York comfortably ensconced in the bosom of his family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex deprived of their home at Frogmore and, for all intents and purposes, expelled from the family and living in exile. That does not sit well with me.

Denville 05-05-2020 07:22 PM

expelled from the family and living in Exile?? Did Charles drag them to the airport shove tehm on a plane???

Betsypaige 05-05-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 2312449)
I am hoping that this is like the several other "approved" biographies that are basically just a lot of boring puff interspersed with points of genuine interest and the clarification of some seemingly shocking situation which I suspect will be the result of the behaviour of H&M poor choice of staff.

However, I leave room to believe and be shocked by revelations of the behaviour of the rest of the immediate BRF. For me, the gilt is well and truly off the gingerbread and I find myself shaking my head that 2020 finds the Duke of York comfortably ensconced in the bosom of his family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex deprived of their home at Frogmore and, for all intents and purposes, expelled from the family and living in exile. That does not sit well with me.

As to your first point....yes, that's very possible. I think H and M have made many poor choices, to be honest.

I don't agree as to your second. Harry and Meghan chose to leave. No one wanted them to, but half in and half out was never going to work, and they left in a huff. That's on them. As to Andrew, the Queen was never going to exile her own son. He's been reduced to a complete non-entity - that's as much as she can do, I think.

TLLK 05-05-2020 08:12 PM

I was under the impression that the Sussexes made the decision of their own free will to leave the UK, travel to Canada then later to the U.S. and that they were not "expelled.":ermm:

Eskimo 05-05-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2312462)
I was under the impression that the Sussexes made the decision of their own free will to leave the UK, travel to Canada then later to the U.S. and that they were not "expelled.":ermm:

That truth does not go well with the victim narrative

Denville 05-06-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2312461)
As to your first point....yes, that's very possible. I think H and M have made many poor choices, to be honest.

I don't agree as to your second. Harry and Meghan chose to leave. No one wanted them to, but half in and half out was never going to work, and they left in a huff. That's on them. As to Andrew, the Queen was never going to exile her own son. He's been reduced to a complete non-entity - that's as much as she can do, I think.

Yes of course the queen was not going ot send Andrew into exile.. He continues to live in the UK, and isn't able to continue with his work..
Meghan and Harry wanted to go, they chose to leave even though the RF have offered to review their situation in a years time.. and I think Charles and the queen hoped that they will come back. Whether they would come back to full time royal work is not certain but Im sure the queen and Charles would be happy to see them coming back to England and maybe hoped that if their new life didn't work out, that is what they would do.. Quite the opposite to their being "forced into exile".. However the longer they stay away, the more likely the public is going to cool on them and say "let them stay away"...

Marengo 05-06-2020 07:05 AM

And on that note is it possible to return to the topic of this thread, namely the book.

Posts that are unrelated to the book will from now on be deleted from this thread. Consider this message a notification of such possible deletions.

Mirabel 05-06-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2312363)
I know I'll end up buying the book. Its what I do. A day without reading a book is... um... I have no idea. :biggrin:

Just checked the pre-order on Amazon. Nope. Not spending that amount of money on it. I'll wait till I can get it for cheap. ;)

Why not just borrow it from the library?
E-books are readily available and have the advantage of not taking up shelf space. ;)

Like you, I can't go a day without reading a book! I'm looking forward to the Kensington Palace book.

Osipi 05-06-2020 08:02 AM

I don't have a public library easily accessible where I live. For me, there's something tangible holding a book and turning pages and I prefer that over an electronic book of any kind. Besides, I have a good supplier where it costs me less to buy a book and have it show up in my mailbox than it'd cost in gas to drive to a library that would have the book. I use abebooks.com. Most are used and old library books themselves. Rarely pay over $4 USD for a book and many are hardback, first editions and some have even been signed by the author. :smile:

I'll wait until the Sussex book is at abebooks before I get it. I'm cheap that way. :lol:

Hallo girl 05-06-2020 09:08 AM

I am sure there has been more in print here than will appear in the book and we are still no further forward, let's just wait and see.
I will wait for it to hit the charity shop before I read it.

Mirabel 05-06-2020 09:09 AM

I felt that way until we moved, and I came to the realization that my books had taken over the house! :lol:
Donated them to the library and got library books, but now I am grateful for ebooks because I don't have to leave the house to get them.

But you are right; it is nice to hold the book!

TLLK 05-06-2020 10:28 AM

:previous: I love holding a book and prefer turning pages to swiping. That being said, I do appreciate the slim size of my reader when it comes to being out of the house. I can take it to a waiting room while I wait for my appointment and it's so much easier than a book when I travel.