The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/finding-freedom-harry-and-meghan-and-the-making-of-a-modern-royal-family-47438.html)

Sun Lion 04-25-2020 05:44 PM

Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family
 
Due out this coming August, this new book is being reported as having had co-operation from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex themselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-Royals.html

Osipi 04-25-2020 06:31 PM

OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

TLLK 04-25-2020 06:40 PM

:ohmy: Wow! I hadn't expected that the couple were going to participate in a project like this one. :ermm:

Lumutqueen 04-25-2020 06:45 PM

If this is true, then there’s really no question what their motives were for leaving. Omid is no surprise,
Carolyn I’ve never heard of her really.

However considering how it was repeatedly announced of their respect for The Queen, I don’t see this being the case.

Heavs 04-25-2020 06:53 PM

Oh this is a bad idea if it truly has their co-operation. It will do nothing to change the perception from some quarters that the last thing they want is a private life with no publicity and "poor me, poor me" and "we had to leave because we were too awesome and progressive for the monarchy" stories from Royals in the time of a pandemic might not go down to well.

And since it is likely to be something of a hit piece on the rest of the family does Harry really want that? Long term, and not just when there are sore feelings? Shouldn't that be worked through privately and not in the book equivalent of the tabloids he so loathes? Doing this sort of thing didn't exactly make his mother (both parents) happier when she was alive and arguably kept tabloid interest at a high and caused problems for him and his brother long before she died and made it even worse after.

You can't tell the tabloids to eff off one day and do this. It basically guarantees this "new life" is just about creating a global philanthropy/publicity brand and wanting to do everything their way. And it might impact how the court case with her father and friends is going to play out.

Ista 04-25-2020 07:08 PM

The book is listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sites, although in a thinly disguised way. If you search for "Scobie" spelled backwards, there it is.

Pranter 04-25-2020 07:21 PM

IF this is true...I'm not sure what the issue is? A good number of the Royals have had participated in biographies etc.



LaRae

Curryong 04-25-2020 07:28 PM

I doubt very very much that this is going to be a hit piece on other members of the BRF, such as Harry's father, brother, grandmother. Neither of them have ever said anything bad about the Queen or the other royals in public ever. If nothing else the little Sussex family are still being financially supported by Charles and he and they know it.

And Harry, at least, knows any public rubbishing of the Queen for instance will cause huge hatred for him in Britain and cut him off from his relatives for all time. And Omid (if he is the conduit) has his own future as a British journalist to think about.

What I do think this book is going to be (if it comes out as planned) is an examination of everything that the tabloids and social media have put out since the beginning about the couple, including the provable sheer lies and what really occurred during the years since Harry and Meghan first met. Plus their plans for their future straight from the horse's mouth. There's plenty to write about in their life together besides what the couple think about the other royals.

Muhler 04-25-2020 08:02 PM

Apart from the fact that the book is going to provide a very positive coverage of H&M, no one really know the content.

Co-operating can mean that the manuscript was submitted to H&M for comments, verification and correction to it being a long interview with predominantly H&M with lots of quotes.
But given the reputation of the author and his affiliation with H&M the book will inevitably be seen as an attempt to polish the image of H&M directly or indirectly instigated by H&M.

Whether that is such a good idea at present is indeed debatable.
Especially as the BRF are not firing back and haven't fired at H&M at any point, not in public that is.
In fact it's the press who is firing at them, not the BRF.

A few things springs to mind:

A) The break between H&M and the BRF was considerably more in anger than we may have thought.

B) H&M genuinely feel their terms were reasonable and that they were treated most unfairly by members of the BRF and that has led to a deep feeling of bitterness with H&M.

C) When you are surrounded by people who agree with you and who reinforce your views, such a book, right now, makes perfect sense. In an echo-chamber you can only hear yourself...
A more level headed PR-advisor might prefer to train them for a more in depth and critical interview with a reputable journalist.

D) It is my opinion that those who most feel they have to explain and justify themselves are those whose conscience deep down tell them they have committed a transgression.

E) It is destined to backfire in Britain, period!
The timing is wrong. - Corona.
No matter what, it can be seen as hurting one of the most respected persons in UK, QEII.
It's too soon. People haven't yet recovered from H&M breaking away in this manner. So there hasn't been time for people to form a more nuanced view on the whole affair.
The author is too pro-H&M and as such will be discredited at once.
Any relationship is defined by deeds, not words. So expressing say respect from QEII will, I'm afraid, inevitably be seen as hypocritical by the British public.

F) Right now the British editors are giving thanks for this book, to whatever demons they worship! Because it will provide so much more material to write about. And they are not going to change their current angling on H&M.
Two reasons for that: A good melodrama sell! And for that you need the good guys, the BRF and the bad guys, H&M. - That cow hasn't been milked dry yet!
Secondly, H&M have seriously alienated the British press. This is an opportunity to get back at H&M and they are going to use it!

Curryong 04-25-2020 08:28 PM

Carolyn Durand is the other journalist rumoured to be associated with the biography. Even the Fail describes her as 'respected'. She now writes for Elle but has written on the Royals for various publications for over fifteen years. She was also employed by the ABC in the US for years.

I do not believe that this is going to be a second Morton book at all, (as the DM hinted today) though I'm sure certain tabloids would love it to be so. The Sussexes have given two interviews to the authors and that's all.

The couple arent even cooperating to the extent that Prince Charles did with Jonathon Dimbleby. There's no mention of a televised account of their lives. And this book isn't even going to be published until August/September.

And as I said before, I believe this is an attempt to get their side of things out there with reference to the lies that have been published about them over three years, not an attack on the BRF.

gerry 04-25-2020 09:03 PM

Thank you Sun Lion for alerting us to this book and the Fail article describing it. I actually read the article with glee; the Fail is so very predictable. Clearly the 'Thoroughly Modern Royals' aka the Sussex family have taken on a fight with the British tabloids that will be very entertaining to watch. I am rooting for Meghan who, from her embedded position in Lala Land will have the home game benefit of taking on the assembled, self-declared defenders of the British Public and its Right to Know. So many questions are going begging here that I don't know where to start but I will begin by declaring for the Sussex family and its right to define its role within the Royal family as well educated, independent and forward thinking people. It will be such fun to see where all this will take us in the weeks and months ahead, as we endure self isolation while waiting for deliverance from COVID-19.

ACO 04-25-2020 09:22 PM

It sounds like it is a typical royal biography and they give a quote or two. No different from the many others floating around. No really seeing what the fuss is except these days anything Harry and Meghan is some kind of big deal.

If I am proven wrong and it is some big tell all -- I will admit it but I somehow doubt it.

Betsypaige 04-25-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2310186)
OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

For you to be this down about it, as supportive as you’ve been of the couple...well you know it’s bad.

Anyone who remembers the Brady Bunch will remember the infamous “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia”, where Jan complains that everyone pays attention only to her older sister. Harry and Meghan are Jan and the BRF are Marcia.

This is going to be a nightmare.....but, while initially it might seem to be so for the BRF, I believe truly it will be so for H and M. They have established by now that they are self-centered, spoiled, entitled, impatient babies, both in the eyes of much of the public and the media ( I didn’t say ALL, so anyone who wants to dispute this should take note). They’ve established that they have no problem disrespecting and taking shots at the monarchy, and the Firm in general.

I think this is going to backfire on them, big time. The essentials of Megxit are known - HM and Charles preached patience as they tried to help H and M; the latter two opted for immediate gratification. If they try to denigrate the Queen, that will create immense anger. If they try and blame Charles - and to a lesser degree William-, that will create sympathy for the future kings. H and M are so self-involved that it’s mind-boggling. There is a worldwide pandemic that may last for months, and these two feel the need to do a tell-all, as if anyone should care now when people are dying by the thousands, unable to even grieve normally.

I feel sorry for the Queen, Charles, William, etc...as I believe they will be exceedingly hurt by this.

akina21 04-25-2020 09:44 PM

They are not burning that bridge , they are nuking it . Sadly that bridge is the only way off the island they put themselves on .

Curryong 04-25-2020 09:57 PM

How about holding fire until we see what this bio contains before immediately jumping to the conclusion that this book will be an assault on the members of the BRF? The Sussexes gave two interviews to the authors, that's all. And this book isn't even being published until August at the earliest.

ACO 04-25-2020 10:03 PM

Did I miss the book coming out? People acting like they got an advance copy. This is like when people were ranting about her GMA sit down interview only for it to be some 2 minute promo for her documentary. Please pump the brakes.

They really doesn't sound any different than the other royal bios out there that were granted some access by the royals of subject. I get the concern but I think some doing a lot with very little information, as usual.

Kataryn 04-25-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2310191)
The book is listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sites, although in a thinly disguised way. If you search for "Scobie" spelled backwards, there it is.


There is a book listed, but it's "Untitled", no information about it, only written by Lou "Scobie" and "Lou" Durant (if I read the names backwards). Very mystique!

Osipi 04-25-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310204)
Did I miss the book coming out? People acting like they got an advance copy. This is like when people were ranting about her GMA sit down interview only for it to be some 2 minute promo for her documentary. Please pump the brakes.

They really doesn't sound any different than the other royal bios out there that were granted some access by the royals of subject. I get the concern but I think some doing a lot with very little information, as usual.

I may of jumped the gun with my gut reaction but usually I trust my gut. You're right, Aco, that we don't know what is going to be in this book or really much about it other than the supposed "working title" and the authors.

It may be a simple biography entailing first the courtship and relate their experiences up until the final exit as working royals. Perhaps that is why the word "royal" is believed to be in the book title. They may even attach sales of this book to fund an incentive for all we know.

The thing though with the news hitting about this possible books being released in August is that, with the timing, the general outlook towards the Sussexes and the globe battling a pandemic, its not good timing and is sure to stir up a hornet's nest and get opinions buzzing. :smile:

Kataryn 04-25-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 2310179)
Due out this coming August, this new book is being reported as having had co-operation from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex themselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-Royals.html


When the Mail reports on their own artice and say: It has been reported that... followed by outrageous claims, I can't... But why reading articles anyway by a company who is in a legal war against the Sussexes??? Duh!

rominet09 04-25-2020 10:59 PM

I think I was their number one fan but now…. I can't understand.
They said they wanted a private normal life….
I noticed that their Instagram page had lost in a few days 100 K followers.
I am so dissapointed. Especially in these terrible times where people are afraid for their life, their jobs et…. Utterly sad but… they are old enough to take their own décisions. I fear the price will be heavy.

ACO 04-25-2020 11:23 PM

I unfollowed their IG. I am sure many have. They no longer using it. Also this book has clearly been in the works for a while. A tabloid leaking it is not them announcing anything. That is a tabloid being a tabloid. They requested comments and were ignored. It comes out in August. Why are people acting like they control a publisher? Yall giving these folks way too much power. This date was probably in the calendar for a while.

Curryong 04-25-2020 11:40 PM

Harry and Meghan have given two interviews to writers of a new biography to be published in August. They haven't announced the publication of the book themselves. Nor have they stated that they intend to write a tell all volume themselves about their lives as royals, or that there is going to be a tell all interview with Oprah or Gail King denouncing the BRF, as the tabloids breathlessly announced there undoubtedly would be a few months ago.

Their lawsuit against a newspaper group began a few days ago and coincided with an announcement that they wanted nothing to do with Britain's main tabloids. And I say, good for them.

Apart from that the Sussexes haven't said anything or done anything in recent weeks except move over to LA, deliver food to ill people in West Hollywood and send an email to the family of a dead girl in connection with WellChild.

IMO everyone should just calm down until this book is published and we can see what is actually there in black and white before there are pronouncements of doom about this couple's actions.

Kataryn 04-26-2020 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rominet09 (Post 2310208)
I think I was their number one fan but now…. I can't understand.
They said they wanted a private normal life….
I noticed that their Instagram page had lost in a few days 100 K followers.
I am so dissapointed. Especially in these terrible times where people are afraid for their life, their jobs et…. Utterly sad but… they are old enough to take their own décisions. I fear the price will be heavy.


Don't be so disappointed. Making such a book was surely something thought abvout for a long, long time.It's not done hush-hush, it needs careful preparation, research, interviews (if that is true) with M&H, finding a publisher, writing, editing, printing, making pre-sale PR - it surely is just one of those "How do we met"-books which we could have waited for since their wedding. I'm sure similar books appeared after the Cambridge-wedding as well. Only because H&M know this author, doesn't mean they'd do a "Princess Di"-thing. Especially as it is not very realistic to think that Harry would do such a thing as long as his grandmother is still alive and his father "only" the heir. With a project like that, he must have known that there is always the risk to publich the book during people's mourning of their beloved queen - and I don't think Harry is so cold-hearted to want that, putting any kind of controversy at the beginning of his father's rule!


What the Mail wishes the book would be anbout is a different piece - don't liosten to them when it comes to H&M. Even if they know a bit, they'd turn everything into negative publicity.:flowers::flowers:

Duke of Marmalade 04-26-2020 03:03 AM

In case of a book where H&M will - directly or indirectly - badmouth the RF (and that already means spilling some details about them) the one year hiatus will certainly be cut short to become permanent.

angieuk 04-26-2020 04:29 AM

Don't know if this is a good idea, a bad idea, but its their choice.
To be published after Meghan's 39th birthday.

Jacknch 04-26-2020 04:42 AM

Please note that the rules and directions posted at the beginning of the General News thread apply equally to this thread as well. Thank you.

evolvingdoors 04-26-2020 09:10 AM

Someone who seeks privacy does not write an autobiography, two seconds after they were involved in an high drama personal situation that left them looking like two selfish petulant children than gown up adults, nor give interviews for one. They just go back to the shadows and do their thing, let their actions speak.

Do we really need to know the details of their courtship? If that is in the book, that seems like too of a private information to share.
And it will likely create more questions than answers.


As for the “only two interview”; these could have been two, hours long, sit downs.

Scobie is not an unbiased writer (I hesitant to call him journalist) by any stretch of the imagination. He is very pro Megahn, to the point his articles feel more like PR write ups than an unbiased point of view.


I fail to see how this will help their reputation, outside of their crazy stan groupies who will not stop to question anything in the book.
They should have denied giving the interview to the book. Plain and simple, let the authors write what they want but don’t cooperate if you want a private life.

Fem 04-26-2020 09:39 AM

I really, really don't like the idea of this book, and for many reasons. I'm also very torn - because while I would really love to hear H&M's side of the story I also know that we won't get the BRF side, because they won't lower themselves to talking about the, for the lack of better word, the Sussexes fiasco.

But I wouldn't actually blame them for this - for all we know at this point the book was already in works and it would be published with or without their cooperation. Their decision to cooperate with the authors isn't surprising to me at all - they want to have control of their image, so making sure this book shines a very positive light on them by giving access to themselves and certain information is one of the crucial steps.

That said, Omid Scobie being the author will make this book that could be otherwise interesting a worthless read. It takes one look at his twitter to notice that he does not have an impartial bone in his body - which might be imperative to keep a working relationship with the Sussexes, or at least it looks like that.

But there's also one more aspect of this - the timing. I would love it if H&M (if they even want to) waited a bit with a book like that. And by that I don't mean they have any sort of control over this one, but they definitely have control over cooperating with the authors. Let the dust settle, even a little. Every single passage, quote and story from this book will be dissected by the tabloids... is this really what they want?

Heavs 04-26-2020 09:44 AM

My first post might have been making a lot of assumptions and jumping to the more extreme conclusions. We really don't know what's going to be in the book.

I was honestly shocked because it did have me thinking about very public dirty feuds of the past (via books, newspapers and interviews) and how that didn't help anyone or the institution of the monarchy.

It also goes against much of what they have been publicly complaining about in the last few days - their privacy. They may wish to give their version of events and to "set the record straight" but that isn't going to stop the gossip, it will only increase it and play into the narrative that the last thing they want is everyone to stop talking, they just *extremely futilely* want to control their press like A list superstars try and do. Also it's inevitably going to cast shadow on family members still working for the Firm and who can't respond to any allegations made.

It was inevitable that there were going to be books about this but they should have just let them be written and used their actions from April 1st on out speak for themselves, not enlisted their favourites to help.

And the timing of this is also really poor.

ACO 04-26-2020 09:59 AM

If the book is being released in August then this was in production for a while. Long before they left the family. I would bet likely began mid last year. We also have no ideas how they contributed. It could be based on their work. It could be more personal quotes. We have no idea.

As for impartial with Omid and Durand... how is that any different than Rob Jobson and his bio on Charles. He is very pro The Prince of Wales. He was allowed access. Many of the royals have contributed to things written about them. This isn’t new with Harry and Meghan.

This pandemic is awful but things were in motion before it hit us all. Maybe it is being delayed. They didn’t announce it. People went digging for this.

Claire 04-26-2020 10:04 AM

Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?

The royal reporters picked up on this a while ago - they knew something was coming for Meghan and Harry beside the birth of the baby. And many through it was a book or/and tie in documentary. I always through the Gayle King interview introducing Archie was to do it. But something derailed their plans until the end of the year. Yes, please take this with a pinch of hearsay.
We will just have to see what it in the book - when and if it is eventually released. It might really be nothing new. It is however not the actions of people starving for privacy.
I have digest a number of royal media over the last month of lockdown - and I just don't know how they - the press and the royal family (everyone) have not learned from their previous mistakes with the relationship with each other.

Lumutqueen 04-26-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 2310295)
Expected really - the dates are really the only thing that concerns me. The book should have been published June 2019. Did I get that right?


From my reading of the article, it was due to be published in June 2020 but has been pushed back to August. They assume it’s because of the pandemic.

MARG 04-26-2020 10:58 AM

Well I will be interested to read a biography about H&M. Omid Scobie is as biased as any other royal writer. In point of fact, I would be hard pressed to name a single royal biographer who was not.

Since I know nothing other than there is a biography to be published I will leave the experts to their high dudgeon and self righteous indignation and wait until I have read it to praise or revile.

Missjersey 04-26-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2310186)
OK. If this is really happening with this book, I have to question the motives of both Harry and Meghan in doing this. With the relationship between the couple and so many people including Harry's family, the people of the UK, and even some of us avid royal watchers here, to rehash it all out in lurid detail from their point of view isn't going to do them any favors and win them any brownie points with anyone. Whatever has happened in the past belongs relegated to the ancient history file in the dusty recesses somewhere and not brought out to air again as dirty laundry hanging on a clothesline.

It does reek of self promotion and self glorification and even the has the premise that this couple is as well loved and well followed and well respected as they were before their exodus to a private life occurred. It'll sell like hotcakes though just because of all the drama, the troubles and woes sure to be bleated ad nauseum on every subject mentioned and will definitely be a point of view by the authors to paint a negative picture of everyone *but* Harry and Meghan, the "Wonder Couple That Is Going To Save The World".

Bad idea in my book. Very bad idea. :bang:

I'll also add that most likely, sometime down the line, I will get and read this book because I'm addicted to books and have a very cheap supplier. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be classified in the future much like "Diana: Her True Story" by Andrew Morton was. Of course I already have that one. Somewhere....

Holy moley coming from you......but I sure agree.

If true—-Their willingness to participate (no matter how small) speaks volumes. Best seller, guarantee to keep themselves on the front page. Oh boy, just think of all the parsing to come...

ACO 04-26-2020 01:12 PM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...new-biography/

I guess we shall see what is truth. According to this the other royal households have been aware of the book for months. It is not an official biography and the Sussexes did no interviews (unlike what the Daily Fail claims). So time will tell when it is released.

If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.

Lumutqueen 04-26-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310345)
If true than it is no different than the other 3543546540 royal books out there.


So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.

Denville 04-26-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2310347)
So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.

There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.

Nico 04-26-2020 01:50 PM

Wasn't that Scobie something outed some days ago as the Sussexes unofficial spokesman ?
Sounds like an Andrew Morton 2.0.
How original ...

...

ACO 04-26-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2310351)
There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.

Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.

We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.

Lumutqueen 04-26-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2310351)
There's a biog of Charles, where I believe the author did have access to him at some engagements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310353)
Jobson, correct. Also Angela Levine to this day is milking her book about Harry where she was granted access to him. I am sure there are plenty more over the years, so yes it happens.

So would that be this Jobsons' book? The blurb says that Clarence House cooperated with the book, I haven't read it but what was leaked via the Daily Mail seems like there's nothing new in this book and it draws a lot from Jobsons days in the royal household and his connections.

That's certainly not what this book is being touted as.

Yes Angela Levin was given access to Henry, to produce a book but as it's Henry doing it again this time it just shows a pattern of behaviour by an individual as opposed to this being something the royal family do frequently. They don't in my opinion.

I disagree that there are "plenty more over the years" where two journalists have been given, what I see as an access all areas pass to two individuals and their engagements. As I said previously this book seems to write about Meghan and Henry from Day A to Day Z and that's definitely something that hasn't happened before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310353)
We already know both authors were at her final solo engagements.

I knew Omid Scobie was at the engagements, as it had been quite clear at that point he was "the chosen mouthpiece" to me, but he was there to report on the engagement for Harpers. As for Carolyn, I wasn't aware she was at any engagements, how have you come about that information?

Lastly, if this book is not explosive, if it's completely 100% authorised by all royal households, why has it only come to light now? It was originally due to be out in 2 months, and unlike Ista I can't find it on Amazon or any website to purchase, for that matter.

Osipi 04-26-2020 03:04 PM

Looking at my library here, there are all kinds of different biographical type books out about the British Royal Family from Shawcross' authorized biography of the Queen Mother (guaranteed to break any mailman's back if ordered in hard copy) to Katie Nicholll's "Making of a Royal Romance" to Robert Hardman's works focused on the Queen to Sally Bedell Smith's biographies on just about all of them. its the content that defines them.

As was pointed out, we do not know the contents yet of what this book entails and another very good point is that this book has been in the works for quite a while already and not something thrown together after the Sussex exodus to the new land. Omid Scobie does have a general reputation for being very pro Sussex and perhaps that will cloud a lot of people's minds now and deem it probably not very fair and balanced.

I will read the book. That's a given. Until then, I think I'd better amend my stance on the adage "never judge a book by its cover". I just hope it becomes available at a cheap price sooner rather than later. Only author I'll pay full price and order in advance is anything by Dan Brown. :biggrin:

Betsypaige 04-26-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2310347)
So The Times is behind a paywall, which is unfortunate when trying to provide a balanced argument on a forum like this. From what I can read of it, this line intrigued me “with its writers being given access to the Duchess's engagements on a small number of occasions....”

That alone makes it different to the xyz number of books out their because I’m not aware of any book (correct me if I’m wrong) that has been allowed to do something like this.

The Daily Mail article does tout this as a “their story” book, and if the title is to be believed it’s an access all areas pass.

If a book of this kind was approved pre separation, I can’t wait to read about the day in the life of Catherine and William.

I don’t see any article about a book from the Times except for the below from January. If you can post a link, I can post an excerpt from the article.

As for the Telegraph article referenced above, I have no idea what it says because I’m not a Premium member. Therefore, I can’t judge.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...ions-3fw36fh7z

Lumutqueen 04-26-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2310359)
Looking at my library here, there are all kinds of different biographical type books out about the British Royal Family from Shawcross' authorized biography of the Queen Mother (guaranteed to break any mailman's back if ordered in hard copy) to Katie Nicholll's "Making of a Royal Romance" to Robert Hardman's works focused on the Queen to Sally Bedell Smith's biographies on just about all of them. its the content that defines them.


You’re absolutely right, Shawcross’ biography famously was only allowed to be published after TQM had passed. The creation of this book was given an official announcement by The Queen that Shawcross was given full access to TQMs personal papers. But still that was a biography of her life, it was “a day in the life” all access.

Katie N’s book was created out of “ a wealth of contacts close to William and Catherine Middleton”, Robert Hardman and Sally Bedell Smith all had some access to some things, but not all access to everything.

Which by no means I’m implying this book has, but from what I’ve read about it I do believe these two journos have been given access to a lot more than we’ve seen before.

ACO 04-26-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2310354)
So would that be this Jobsons' book? The blurb says that Clarence House cooperated with the book, I haven't read it but what was leaked via the Daily Mail seems like there's nothing new in this book and it draws a lot from Jobsons days in the royal household and his connections.

That's certainly not what this book is being touted as.

Yes Angela Levin was given access to Henry, to produce a book but as it's Henry doing it again this time it just shows a pattern of behaviour by an individual as opposed to this being something the royal family do frequently. They don't in my opinion.

I disagree that there are "plenty more over the years" where two journalists have been given, what I see as an access all areas pass to two individuals and their engagements. As I said previously this book seems to write about Meghan and Henry from Day A to Day Z and that's definitely something that hasn't happened before.



I knew Omid Scobie was at the engagements, as it had been quite clear at that point he was "the chosen mouthpiece" to me, but he was there to report on the engagement for Harpers. As for Carolyn, I wasn't aware she was at any engagements, how have you come about that information?

Lastly, if this book is not explosive, if it's completely 100% authorised by all royal households, why has it only come to light now? It was originally due to be out in 2 months, and unlike Ista I can't find it on Amazon or any website to purchase, for that matter.

I haven't read either books so I have no idea if there is a comparison. You going by a description per The Daily Mail. I prefer to wait to actually read it instead of their usual misleading things to rile folk up. I have yet to see anything to show this is anything other than a usual unauthorized biography where they have had some access (direct and engagements?). I can list a dozen royal books by correspondents.

As for Caroyln being at her engagements? She wrote about it.

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebri...-visit-details

I only learned about this book because of The Daily Mail. So...

Curryong 04-26-2020 04:42 PM

What about Prince Charles's cooperation on an official biography with Jonathon Dimbleby? That one included a (notorious) TV interview as part of the promotion.
Also Penny Junor was said to have been given access to both Charles and Camilla when she wrote her first dual biography of them.

Lumutqueen 04-26-2020 04:54 PM

Thoroughly Modern Royals:The Real World of Harry and Meghan.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310365)
I haven't read either books so I have no idea if there is a comparison. You going by a description her The Daily Mail. I prefer to wait to actually read it instead of their usual misleading things to rile folk up. I have yet to see anything to show this is anything other than a usual unauthorized biography where they have had some access (direct and engagements?). I can list a dozen royal books by correspondents.

As I’ve said previously, I am unaware of any unauthorised biography that was given access to engagements. The example of Jobson mentioned by yourself, doesn’t confirm there was any direct access other than consent from Clarence on working together. In the case of Levin, her book was authorise by Prince Henry, so we at least know he has a history of this “day in the life stuff”.

When discussing a topic, to mention it’s the same as everything else out there, it might be beneficial to have something to back that up.

I quoted The Times, not the daily mail in regards to the access this book has reportedly had and I would be able to read more if the article was not hidden behind a paywall.

ladongas 04-26-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2310223)
Don't be so disappointed. Making such a book was surely something thought abvout for a long, long time.It's not done hush-hush, it needs careful preparation, research, interviews (if that is true) with M&H, finding a publisher, writing, editing, printing, making pre-sale PR - it surely is just one of those "How do we met"-books which we could have waited for since their wedding. I'm sure similar books appeared after the Cambridge-wedding as well. Only because H&M know this author, doesn't mean they'd do a "Princess Di"-thing. Especially as it is not very realistic to think that Harry would do such a thing as long as his grandmother is still alive and his father "only" the heir. With a project like that, he must have known that there is always the risk to publich the book during people's mourning of their beloved queen - and I don't think Harry is so cold-hearted to want that, putting any kind of controversy at the beginning of his father's rule!


What the Mail wishes the book would be anbout is a different piece - don't liosten to them when it comes to H&M. Even if they know a bit, they'd turn everything into negative publicity.:flowers::flowers:

:previous:The voice of reason...

ACO 04-26-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2310383)
As I’ve said previously, I am unaware of any unauthorised biography that was given access to engagements. The example of Jobson mentioned by yourself, doesn’t confirm there was any direct access other than consent from Clarence on working together. In the case of Levin, her book was authorise by Prince Henry, so we at least know he has a history of this “day in the life stuff”.

When discussing a topic, to mention it’s the same as everything else out there, it might be beneficial to have something to back that up.

I quoted The Times, not the daily mail in regards to the access this book has reportedly had and I would be able to read more if the article was not hidden behind a paywall.

Omid and Carolyn were covering engagements like most royal correspondents do. Not like they were the *only*ones there. So it was hardly private or that exclusive except maybe her final one which had selective press. Kind of like how many of the royal beat press who have books on these royals were at many of their engagements. What is the difference?

It would seem since the story broke that sections of the media are poking around.

https://twitter.com/ledbettercarly/s...02233481322496

She claims to also have the same info the Times posted stating no interviews nor either of the authors saying they had any. So where did that even come from?

Also Jobson? He has spoken himself about his close interactions with Prince Charles when speaking of his book. Heck I would say he doesn't let one forget it.

Nico 04-26-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2310380)
What about Prince Charles's cooperation on an official biography with Jonathon Dimbleby? That one included a (notorious) TV interview as part of the promotion.
Also Penny Junor was said to have been given access to both Charles and Camilla when she wrote her first dual biography of them.

There's a world between giving access to a journalist and let one of your BFFs (apparently the status of that Scoubie whatever his name is) writing a book about you.
Smells hagiography big time.
But again it's maybe the intended goal, and for sure there's a public for it.

Oh well, just wait and see ...

ACO 04-26-2020 05:29 PM

How is Scobie the BFF of Meghan? Just because he is not overly nasty about her like some other members of the press doesn't make him her bestie. It seems that people have issue that he didn't go out his way to attack her. Honestly, he doesn't do that with any of the royals. He is positive about all the royals. Yet being that way about Meghan seems to ruffle feathers. I wonder why?

Nico 04-26-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310398)
How is Scobie the BFF of Meghan? Just because he is not overly nasty about her like some other members of the press doesn't make him her bestie. It seems that people have issue that he didn't go out his way to attack her. Honestly, he doesn't do that with any of the royals. He is positive about all the royals. Yet being that way about Meghan seems to ruffle feathers. I wonder why?

Well i've just been told he's the ex of Meghan's friend Markus Anderson. So he seems a bit closer to the couple than the average journalist.

I only read one or two of his reports about the couple to be frank . A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that he's not universally loved, to say the least ...

Curryong 04-26-2020 05:37 PM

Carolyn Durand is co author of the forthcoming book and she is not a close personal friend of Meghan's, nor would I say that Omid Scobie is. Like Carolyn he is positive about all members of the Royal Family. Omid is neither beloved nor hated on Twitter, just like most journalists.

Does being negative and critical of Meghan, as other journalists have consistently been, make everything fair and balanced then?

Madame Verseau 04-26-2020 05:43 PM

Some of these journalists act like they are BFF with the royals.

I strongly doubt it's a hit piece. One the Sussexes are getting support from Charles. Two, there's an active lawsuit. Anything negative in the book could be used at trial. Three neither Scobie or Durand have revealed details of the book. All I see is guess work from the tabloids that people are going to get dragged and the Mail practically branded Scobie as a low rent reporter. I think the reporting is based on bitterness that the usual suspects didn't get the interview and reinforces the Sussexes' stance they will not work with press that have maligned them. The other person that may be bitter is Samantha. Sam has been trying to get a book on Meghan for three years and so far no legitimate publisher will go near her. The best Sam could do is tabloid money, which is probably chump change.

ACO 04-26-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2310399)
Well i've just been told he's the ex of Meghan's friend Markus Anderson. So he seems a bit closer to the couple than the average journalist.

I only read one or two of his reports about the couple to be frank . A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that he's not universally loved, to say the least ...

Where did you see it verified he is the ex of her friend? I have not seen that except from a certain group of people who also claim that Doria is a drug addict ex con. We shouldn't spread gossip..

No reporter is and why should they be? They all have a job to do.

Curryong 04-26-2020 05:54 PM

That allegation about Omid and Markus began on anti-Meghan sites on Tumblr and spread from there.

Nico 04-26-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2310402)
Where did you see it verified he is the ex of her friend? I have not seen that except from a certain group of people who also claim that Doria is a drug addict ex con. We shouldn't spread gossip..

No reporter is and why should they be? They all have a job to do.

Well it's on twitter and a member here just sent me this piece of information.
But you're absolutely right , i honestly didn't know it was, according to your expertise, a mere gossip. So my bad and i do apologize.
But in the same search i clearly see that this Mr Scoobie is definitely a controversial figure, with not so nice adjectives attached to him...

Well, as i said, wait and see ...

Curryong 04-26-2020 06:25 PM

He may well be controversial in certain circles (some Twitter and Tumblr sites) because he doesn't sing from the same hymn sheet as other Royal Reporters regarding Meghan.

Queen Claude 04-26-2020 07:34 PM

Omid Scobie is pro-Sussex but giving a reporter or biographer who tends to be favorably disposed to a royal special access is hardly unprecedented. Penny Junor is well known for her favorable / apologist reporting of Camilla and Charles over the years and IIRC she was given access for the biography she penned on Camilla published in 2017.

Betsypaige 04-27-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2310397)
There's a world between giving access to a journalist and let one of your BFFs (apparently the status of that Scoubie whatever his name is) writing a book about you.
Smells hagiography big time.
But again it's maybe the intended goal, and for sure there's a public for it.

Oh well, just wait and see ...

Yup. In the case of Jobson’s book, he had access to Charles and made his own evaluations. I didn’t exactly read the book from cover to cover, but I sat in the bookstore and read large sections of it; it’s a very fair account I’d that particular year. It’s no biography, but there are segments about Charles and his relationships (William and Harry, I especially remember). I would certainly say that Jobson likes Charles and thinks he’s a good man, but in no way did he fans over him. Whatever the H and M book is about, I’m expecting it to be all sunshine and unicorns for the Sussexes.

ACO:

Quote:

How is Scobie the BFF of Meghan? Just because he is not overly nasty about her like some other members of the press doesn't make him her bestie. It seems that people have issue that he didn't go out his way to attack her. Honestly, he doesn't do that with any of the royals. He is positive about all the royals. Yet being that way about Meghan seems to ruffle feathers. I wonder why?
I don’t want him to attack her or any member of the BRF, just be fair. I don’t dislike him, and I think it’s true that he likes the Royals - I think he’s generally fair and positive about them. I probably agreed with him much of the time when I supported Meghan (and Harry), but I’ve become so disenchanted with both H and M that I just can’t agree with anything Scobie says about them

Zonk 04-27-2020 01:11 AM

Part of me is are we sure this is for real? Just because the Daily Mail says so doesn't make it true? Any self published author can create an account with a title and announce an up and coming book. If its true, I expect we should here from Harry and Meghan shortly, they don't know how to say no comment and move on. They will confirm within 48 hours. They also need better friends/security...they have leaks like all the time.

If this is true, sadly, nothing would surprise me about this couple. I will wait to see if its their truth or the total truth but I know this for a fact......you can't claim you want privacy and than do all kinds of things that that show you really don't want privacy. Go away! Make people miss you. But I imagine if this book is really coming out, its all about setting the record straight from their point of view and that's too bad. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

I just don't see this being a good idea.

Nothing surprises me

evolvingdoors 04-27-2020 02:13 AM

This is the, supposedly book, on amazon
Untitled https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085372L3T..._YANPEbZ0WA1S6

It does not say when the title was added, though.

As for Scobie, there are a couple pictures of him with Meghan, prior to her royal days. So it shows an association of sort, he was not a royal reporter before Meghan came to the scene, so it raises the question of how he ended up as one on such a short time. I think I read he did merely small gossip and had a blog.
So that may partially explain his loyalty to Meghan, her relationship is the reason his career is now what it is.

He ia not a reliable source for impartiality, he is extremely biased! That much is obvious.

Pranter 04-27-2020 02:28 PM

None of them are reliable for impartiality ...that's the media we have to deal with now, they don't even attempt to hide biases.

I do follow Omid because he does not get negative about any of them. I used to follow a number of RR's but slowly stopped as they couldn't stay out of the negative pot stirring mode.

He's had some more negative type co-hosts on his podcast however.



LaRae



LaRae

Sun Lion 04-27-2020 04:21 PM

Despite the "official" airing of the Duke and Duchess' position regarding their recent experiences within the Royal Family - via the court case and the involvement of friends in the People magazine that has become a part of that - yet more friends have spoken out.

Yes, in the Daily Mail, so please don't open the link if you wish to avoid that outlet, but so many direct quotes thoughout this article, someone has spoken.

I'm posting this link in this thread, as to me this is a fore-taste of how the new book will be.

Just released -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hed-press.html

TLLK 04-27-2020 09:12 PM

:previous: Thank you for the warning Sun Lion.


I truly, truly hope that what I just read is a tabloid taking extreme liberties and not a reflection of what the Duchess of Sussex honestly believed.

ACO 04-27-2020 09:46 PM

That particular author has been caught in lies in recent articles. In fact her last two were about how a friend said "they planned to make a life in Canada.... and Meghan was preventing Harry was seeing his family as they settled there." All the while they were in LA. So... just saying.

Let's keep it real. Meghan's close friends are not chatting with The Daily Mail. A paper she is very openly suing. A paper her friends publicly call out. Sorry. I call BS.

Betsypaige 04-27-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 2310697)
Despite the "official" airing of the Duke and Duchess' position regarding their recent experiences within the Royal Family - via the court case and the involvement of friends in the People magazine that has become a part of that - yet more friends have spoken out.

Yes, in the Daily Mail, so please don't open the link if you wish to avoid that outlet, but so many direct quotes thoughout this article, someone has spoken.

I'm posting this link in this thread, as to me this is a fore-taste of how the new book will be.

Just released -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hed-press.html

I can honestly buy Meghan saying that - which is sad, but that’s how I feel. There’s a real element of jealousy in H and M’s attitude towards William and Kate (example: H being upset that HM and Charles wouldn’t give him Windsor as a “court” as William and Kate have KP). I do believe the reports of Meghan acting hideously during wedding preparations and that she wanted to wear a tiara, which the Queen forbid. Given her Africa interview and how she and Harry have handled their departure, I am not willing to give either of them the benefit of the doubt.

IF this is true, they are delusional. The Palace doesn’t make a habit of defending any of their family in the media .....It seems like everyone in the BRF is going to be hurt.

I did make sure to say IF, however, I do believe it.....after all that’s gone down, H and M make it easy for me to do so

Kataryn 04-28-2020 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2310750)
I can honestly buy Meghan saying that - which is sad, but that’s how I feel.



(...)


I did make sure to say IF, however, I do believe it.....after all that’s gone down, H and M make it easy for me to do so


How in all of the world can you believe a word of what the DAILY MAIL is writing about Meghan's feelings and thoughts? As if they ever gave a sh*t about that! We don't know Meghan at all! Harry does, though, and he went with her. Though I believe he loves his family and cares for his country. They left because especially the Daily Mail was after Meghan. Then she sued them. And now you believe an article by said media outlet! I can't understand that. :flowers::flowers:

Curryong 04-28-2020 02:03 AM

Yeah, when any of Meghan's friends wish to speak out the Fail is the first port of call. The friends' thoughts automatically run on the lines of 'The tabloids have given her a bad time but the DM is an exception to the rule. Theyve always been fair and balanced in their coverage of Meghan and Harry over the last three years'.

Leaps to the phone or her email in order to confide Meghan's sincerest thoughts about the BRF straight to this newspaper. And if you believe that you'll believe anything, IMO!

Hallo girl 04-28-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2310753)
How in all of the world can you believe a word of what the DAILY MAIL is writing about Meghan's feelings and thoughts? As if they ever gave a sh*t about that! We don't know Meghan at all! Harry does, though, and he went with her. Though I believe he loves his family and cares for his country. They left because especially the Daily Mail was after Meghan. Then she sued them. And now you believe an article by said media outlet! I can't understand that. :flowers::flowers:


A great deal of what is on here is assumptions, because none of us really know the truth. All I am going to put up as a point of discussion , is that it would be pretty reckless for the Mail to print a deliberate false story as apposed to a mistake just at the time they are in the middle of a legal case for similar accusations.

The second point is that the story is out there whether you want to believe it or not. The damage is done to two people , Meghan because she has allegedly told her friends things about the palace and Catherine, that they have then passed to the press , and Catherine because she has been favoured by the palace against Meghan.

There are no winners in this, and no doubt there will be a great heated debate on here.

Lets ask ourselves why would Meghans friends speak to the Mail, when she is in the process of suing them.

WE cannot know if she even said anything like this, unlike the letter she had obviously told people about that or they could not have spoken to the press about it. I am not saying she told them to discuss it but they obviously knew about it.

Why would the Mail risk printing a story that could put them back in the law courts.

Why would anybody tell a false story to a newspaper that many accuse of false stories.

The dots do not join, unless you are a synic like me.

Kataryn 04-28-2020 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallo girl (Post 2310795)



Why would the Mail risk printing a story that could put them back in the law courts.


Because the suit is over for them - things that are proof are already given to the court and no new ones may come up for this case.



But - if they stopped now with their lies, they would give in.

And we know how high the amount of money is they'd offer for a fake statement. In the Royal Circles there surely are enough people who would claim that Meghan said something like this when you offer the right amount of money - after all, for them Catherine is more important and the winner while Meghan never was part of their circle and is long gone now. But unlike that Melissa something-or-else who probably only wanted to boost her CV to get a better job after she left the Sussexes and thus was willing to stick out in name and photo in the paper, there is IMHO no one behind this story but the Mail editors and a person willing to take the blame for a lot of money if necessary.

Maybe even someone from the US, a former acquaintance of Meghan's. It's only gossip after all the Mail deals in right now...

ACO 04-28-2020 07:32 AM

Why would they lie? Lol cause they can and do every single day. You still have people coming out even now dismissing these tabloids. Pointing out their lies and explaining how they were offered money to make up stories. Those papers don’t care. They bank on people believing every single thing they print and when you admit you will believe it all because you are disappointed... well then it doesn’t matter what these papers do. They bank on people with that view. And that’s why individuals, well known and not, fight them. And typically win.

Moonmaiden23 04-28-2020 09:15 AM

I was around when Sarah Ferguson was called ugly, fat, frumpy and a bad mother. I saw a British tabloid run a photo of Sarah jumping a fence on her horse with the title WHICH ONE IS THE HORSE( I remember this one vividly, it was barely a month after her wedding and I was shocked that a British tabloid could be so cruel to a member of their Royal family:eek:)

I remember the vitriol Camilla was subjected to and still is.

I remember the Waity Katie headlines, the grasping commoner and her scheming stewardess mother stories, the "Wisteria Sisters", the mockery of Kate for constantly playing with her hair, seeming nonstop holidays, and glimpses of her forbidden areas via short hemlines.

Not one word, not one peep from Buckingham Palace in defense of any of these women. Dead silence.

I refuse to believe that Meghan and Harry feel that HM or her spokespeople should have made some type of extraordinary exception and called out the tabloids on her behalf. :ermm:

My suspicion is that The Fail Hell is going on full attack and simply making up stories now that the Sussexes have completely pulled the plug. Maybe they don't fear reprisals for printing their garbage now.:sad:

Pranter 04-28-2020 09:26 AM

It's also been said that the owners of these tabloids make so much money that these settlements don't really effect the net profit. So unless there is a extremely large settlement awarded, there likely isn't much incentive for them to stop.



LaRae

Marengo 04-28-2020 09:44 AM

This thread is about an upcoming book about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Although the tabloids are a fascinating topic, they are not the topic of this thread. Please move on...

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 06:12 AM

Well, it starts...


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Freedom.html



The title🤮. As if the BRF enslaved them. Who the heck will have any sympathy for them? Plus, they chose to ditch the Royal life, yet they are still trading in the connection.

The description of the book is just so expected, lol. “Unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight....” Away from the spotlight? That’s why they moved to LA, why they hired the same PR firm as represents several celebrities, why they cooperated for this book...

I think this book will take shots at the BRF, but I don’t think it will hurt them because I believe most of the British public - and, I think, Americans who truly follow the Royals- side with the BRF in terms of how Megxit played out. In fact, how things have played out since...

Denville 05-03-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2311864)
Well, it starts...


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Freedom.html



The title🤮. As if the BRF enslaved them. Who the heck will have any sympathy for them? Plus, they chose to ditch the Royal life, yet they are still trading in the connection.

The description of the book is just so expected, lol. “Unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight....” Away from the spotlight? That’s why they moved to LA, why they hired the same PR firm as represents several celebrities, why they cooperated for this book...

I think this book will take shots at the BRF, but I don’t think it will hurt them because I believe most of the British public - and, I think, Americans who truly follow the Royals- side with the BRF in terms of how Megxit played out. In fact, how things have played out since...

but there's nothing else they can do. They've been stopped from using their HRH in business but of course they wll use the fact that they are royals.. Minor royals do it to some extent.. though they are often criticsed for it. I don't think it will stop H and Meg If they get criticism for using the royal connextion.. and of course they will use this book, if they are helping with it, to polish their image...

Nico 05-03-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2311864)
Well, it starts...


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Freedom.html



The title🤮. As if the BRF enslaved them. Who the heck will have any sympathy for them? Plus, they chose to ditch the Royal life, yet they are still trading in the connection.

The description of the book is just so expected, lol. “Unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight....” Away from the spotlight? That’s why they moved to LA, why they hired the same PR firm as represents several celebrities, why they cooperated for this book...

I think this book will take shots at the BRF, but I don’t think it will hurt them because I believe most of the British public - and, I think, Americans who truly follow the Royals- side with the BRF in terms of how Megxit played out. In fact, how things have played out since...

If it's true, aka the real title, there's always something deeply indecent and disturbing when two highly privileged people are moaning about their search of some kind of "freedom" almost Nelson Mandela style.
But i'm not suprised , as some die hard fans just cried "free at last" when they moved to Canada then LA, as if the British royal family was Alcatraz or something.
The more time passes, the more the Sussexes seem totally out of touch with the current state of the World. This book will be desastrous PR wise in the UK, as their message (if any), is totally inaudible nowadays.
I guess there 'll be some interest in the US, and maybe a TV movie on the hallmark channel.
How rewarding.

Denville 05-03-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2311880)
If it's true, aka the real title, there's always something deeply indecent and disturbing when two highly privileged people are moaning about their search of some kind of "freedom" almost Nelson Mandela style.
But i'm not suprised , as some die hard fans just cried "free at last" when they moved to Canada then LA, as if the British royal family was Alcatraz or something.
The more time passes, the more the Sussexes seem totally out of touch with the current state of the World. This book will be desastrous PR wise in the UK, as their message (if any), is totally inaudible nowadays.
I guess there 'll be some interest in the US, and maybe a TV movie on the hallmark channel.
How rewarding.

to be fair, they didn't write the book.. However it may be that in a few months when it is published, we will all want some light stuff after the horrors of the past months. so it will do well.

Lumutqueen 05-03-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2311864)


IF this is true, gone are the assumptions that this is “like all the other biographies” royals have corroborated with.

Nico 05-03-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2311882)
to be fair, they didn't write the book.. However it may be that in a few months when it is published, we will all want some light stuff after the horrors of the past months. so it will do well.

They didn't write it indeed, but, as least, they are well aware of it.
To put it simply, what we are seeing now : On one side ALL the members of the BRF, from Princess Charlotte to Princess Alexandra , are helping, one way or another, the UK, backing the NHS in this global crisis.
And, on the other side, we see a couple exiled in LA, apparently, and i say apparently, more busy to sell themselves as victims, fighting papers in Court and now welcoming a tell-all book .
It's not rocket science to see how this gap, deepening day after day, is totally desastrous for the image of the Sussexes , a couple who wants to be humanitarian champions but appears more and more as self-centered brats.
The worse part is, i guess, or at least i hope, they mean well, but gosh their communication and their timing are just plain awful.

"Finding Freedom", i mean, really ?

winifred 05-03-2020 09:33 AM

"Finding Freedom: Harry, Meghan, and the Making of a Modern Royal Family"

We're all speculating of course but I'd take bets this is far more likely to be a hit job on the media rather than the royals.

My quibble is with the "modern royal family" part. If we use the example of some of the European monarchies, Harry and Meghan will always be members of the royal family but have chosen not to be members of the Royal House. They are therefore in exactly the same position as Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara and Louise and James.

In order to be financially independent they are going to have to use their royal connections, because that's why they're interesting. Nothing new about it or shameful; they'll use the same connections to network for the good works they're going to do.

But I don't get what would be "modern" about any of this. How is it going to be different from what the other non-members of the Royal House do?

angieuk 05-03-2020 09:45 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Freedom.html

Front Cover of the New Book; August 2020

HARRY AND MEGHAN - FINDING FREEDOM

carlota 05-03-2020 10:19 AM

How ironic that they left the RF because they wanted to lead “private lives” away from the media intrusion and they are now collaborating with two journalists to release all their intimate details.

I said it before and will say it again - these two are so full of egocentricity and crave the spotlight so much it’s preventing them from acting logically. They simply make no sense.

Denville 05-03-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2311885)
They didn't write it indeed, but, as least, they are well aware of it.
To put it simply, what we are seeing now : On one side ALL the members of the BRF, from Princess Charlotte to Princess Alexandra , are helping, one way or another, the UK, backing the NHS in this global crisis.
And, on the other side, we see a couple exiled in LA, apparently, and i say apparently, more busy to sell themselves as victims, fighting papers in Court and now welcoming a tell-all book .
It's not rocket science to see how this gap, deepening day after day, is totally desastrous for the image of the Sussexes , a couple who wants to be humanitarian champions but appears more and more as self-centered brats.
The worse part is, i guess, or at least i hope, they mean well, but gosh their communication and their timing are just plain awful.

"Finding Freedom", i mean, really ?

But they did do that food delivery.
Im afraid I never bought the idea that they were humanitarian champions. Harry has a kind heart and he's tried to do good, but I think he's let his demons drive him into self obsession and he's also allowed Meghan to take over his life and he is now part of this "power couple" who may never really take off because of the pandemic. If they wanted to, they could do some good in Canaada or the USA.. but they seemed to opt for a one off "showing themselves off" delivering food and then, that's it...

Denville 05-03-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janet14 (Post 2311890)
"Finding Freedom: Harry, Meghan, and the Making of a Modern Royal Family"

We're all speculating of course but I'd take bets this is far more likely to be a hit job on the media rather than the royals.

My quibble is with the "modern royal family" part. If we use the example of some of the European monarchies, Harry and Meghan will always be members of the royal family but have chosen not to be members of the Royal House. They are therefore in exactly the same position as Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara and Louise and James.

In order to be financially independent they are going to have to use their royal connections, because that's why they're interesting. Nothing new about it or shameful; they'll use the same connections to network for the good works they're going to do.

But I don't get what would be "modern" about any of this. How is it going to be different from what the other non-members of the Royal House do?

The difference is that they were supposed to be working for the Firm. They had a role, they had tehir HRH, they had opportunities to work for charities.. but for some reasons, whether dislike of the press, dislike of the UK, they opted out, left the RF short of 2 workers.. I wont say they were vital workers but they were considered to be important and it had been planned fior them to do royal work for their lives. The other royals who do work for themselves have always been meant to do that...

Missjersey 05-03-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 2311898)
How ironic that they left the RF because they wanted to lead “private lives” away from the media intrusion and they are now collaborating with two journalists to release all their intimate details.

I said it before and will say it again - these two are so full of egocentricity and crave the spotlight so much it’s preventing them from acting logically. They simply make no sense.

The title, I can’t even....

I think I have eye rollitis lol

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2311883)
IF this is true, gone are the assumptions that this is “like all the other biographies” royals have corroborated with.

How do you mean?

I feel like this book is going to reflect exactly what Harry and Meghan want it to, that it’s closer to a ghost written memoir/tell-all than it is straight non-fiction with one (even if it was long) interview.

Nico:

Exactly. They ARE out of touch - and every time they try and explain themselves, they just dig the hole deeper and deeper. Their supporters will buy the book and buy everything in it, but I think the primary impact with the British public will be scorn...and a deeper appreciation for the BRF.


Quote:

If it's true, aka the real title, there's always something deeply indecent and disturbing when two highly privileged people are moaning about their search of some kind of "freedom" almost Nelson Mandela style.
But i'm not suprised , as some die hard fans just cried "free at last" when they moved to Canada then LA, as if the British royal family was Alcatraz or something.

The more time passes, the more the Sussexes seem totally out of touch with the current state of the World. This book will be desastrous PR wise in the UK, as their message (if any), is totally inaudible nowadays.
I guess there 'll be some interest in the US, and maybe a TV movie on the hallmark channel.
How rewarding.

Eskimo 05-03-2020 11:47 AM

This is too tone deaf and beggars belief-the title, the fact that they use the word plague to describe her dilemma whilst the planet is going through COVID-19.

This is going to be a disaster for them, PR and otherwise.

Betsypaige 05-03-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo (Post 2311920)
This is too tone deaf and beggars belief-the title, the fact that they use the word plague to describe her dilemma whilst the planet is going through COVID-19.

This is going to be a disaster for them, PR and otherwise.

I posted it, and I didn’t even catch that, lol. Good lord, their PR is brutal. Maybe it seems like a small thing, but it’s not. While they’ve been “plagued” by misunderstandings and misconceptions, the rest of the world is suffering from a very real plague.

This book would be annoying under any conditions, but now? It should be delayed indefinitely....

Duke of Marmalade 05-03-2020 12:05 PM

'Modern Royal Family' after they opted out? :wacko:
And Finding Freedom? The latest pictures from Harry delivering the food show him angry/sulking as usual with Meghan patting his back or touching him to calm him down.
But thankfully, this is the book they would always write. I am glad it's done with in August already.
The attention they will get now will not be enough for a second book. At some point the story gets lame and more interesting people will be in town.

Kataryn 05-03-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2311864)
Well, it starts...


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Freedom.html



The title🤮. As if the BRF enslaved them. Who the heck will have any sympathy for them? Plus, they chose to ditch the Royal life, yet they are still trading in the connection.


How can you write a book about Harry and Meghan without bringing up who Harry is and who they were after the wedding? How can that be "trading on their connections"?


Quote:

The description of the book is just so expected, lol. “Unafraid to break with tradition, determined to create a new path away from the spotlight....” Away from the spotlight? That’s why they moved to LA, why they hired the same PR firm as represents several celebrities, why they cooperated for this book...
They moved to Meghan's hometown where her mother lives. Just living in LA does not mean "in the spotlight" - especially now. Why can't you wait for them to do what you blame them for? Like being on Red Carpets, dancing with the stars, drinking champagne in Bel Air? As for the need of a PR firm - the media is interested in them, so they need specialised people who cope for them with the media. No matter who these people work with as well, they are specialists for public relations and Harry & Meghan need them.

As for the cooperation? We don't know enough about that, just that the "Daily Mail" will know nothing from the source and that the Mail on sunday (their source) knows nothing either. As for "fears" - well, one better calls that "hope" as this would sell papers.

Let me say it again: Harry would do nothing to hurt his grandmother or his father in the beginning of a new reign.




Quote:

I think this book will take shots at the BRF, but I don’t think it will hurt them because I believe most of the British public - and, I think, Americans who truly follow the Royals- side with the BRF in terms of how Megxit played out. In fact, how things have played out since...

Just saying that Meghan and Harry have been lying low, not given interviews, just done some charity work. While the MoS today again claims, they were interested in just another 10 mil. $ Plus house in LA next to superstars. A real Royal mansion, when they showed us with Frogmore Cottage instead of Apt. 1 at Kensington Palace, that they prefer smaller and more private places as long as security is okay.


So I think people will be very disappointed in the book when they think of re-telling of Royal scandals and insider infos, I rather think it will be fuill of cloudy words about "empowering" people, positive thoughts and "loving and helping humanity".

Missjersey 05-03-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311929)
How can you write a book about Harry and Meghan without bringing up who Harry is and who they were after the wedding? How can that be "trading on their connections"?


They moved to Meghan's hometown where her mother lives. Just living in LA does not mean "in the spotlight" - especially now. Why can't you wait for them to do what you blame them for? Like being on Red Carpets, dancing with the stars, drinking champagne in Bel Air? As for the need of a PR firm - the media is interested in them, so they need specialised people who cope for them with the media. No matter who these people work with as well, they are specialists for public relations and Harry & Meghan need them.

As for the cooperation? We don't know enough about that, just that the "Daily Mail" will know nothing from the source and that the Mail on sunday (their source) knows nothing either. As for "fears" - well, one better calls that "hope" as this would sell papers.

Let me say it again: Harry would do nothing to hurt his grandmother or his father in the beginning of a new reign.







Just saying that Meghan and Harry have been lying low, not given interviews, just done some charity work. While the MoS today again claims, they were interested in just another 10 mil. $ Plus house in LA next to superstars. A real Royal mansion, when they showed us with Frogmore Cottage instead of Apt. 1 at Kensington Palace, that they prefer smaller and more private places as long as security is okay.


So I think people will be very disappointed in the book when they think of re-telling of Royal scandals and insider infos, I rather think it will be fuill of cloudy words about "empowering" people, positive thoughts and "loving and helping humanity".


Three paragraphs up...I believe they hurt Gran and Dad the way they left, jmo....

Kataryn 05-03-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2311903)
The difference is that they were supposed to be working for the Firm. They had a role, they had tehir HRH, they had opportunities to work for charities.. but for some reasons, whether dislike of the press, dislike of the UK, they opted out, left the RF short of 2 workers.. I wont say they were vital workers but they were considered to be important and it had been planned fior them to do royal work for their lives. The other royals who do work for themselves have always been meant to do that...


They were harrassed, humiliated and the tabloids lied about them, turning Harry into a weakling and Meghan into a witch. They were lambasted for their use of public money - (see what Associated Newspapers said about that in their reply against Meghan's claim) - all was wrong, even if all the other Royals did the same. When the media went against their child after harrassing the mother through her pregnancy, they decided to go and look for "freedom" - of their enemies in the media.



Now they live in Meghan's hometown and look what they can do there. If being Royal beens that you can all jump on them and use them as your doormat, it just makes no sense to stay "Royals". What is a HRH or a title worth if your child is compared to an ape, because his mother is biracial? For them,. obviously nothing. But for the tabloids, it gives them the "inner right" to push them down and throw with mud. What a terrible life!

Kataryn 05-03-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missjersey (Post 2311933)
Three paragraphs up...I believe they hurt Gran and Dad the way they left, jmo....


Ok, do you mean as persons? Yes, I think they did. Because they saw how they hurt and couldn't help them enough to make them stay.


As a prince and his wife hurting the queen and the Prince of Wales? Not so much, as William is the heir and Harry "just the spare" who has a right to search of another situation in life where he feels more accepted and respected. For that is a right every human has, even the Royals.

Missjersey 05-03-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311935)
Ok, do you mean as persons? Yes, I think they did. Because they saw how they hurt and couldn't help them enough to make them stay.


As a prince and his wife hurting the queen and the Prince of Wales? Not so much, as William is the heir and Harry "just the spare" who has a right to search of another situation in life where he feels more accepted and respected. For that is a right every human has, even the Royals.


Yes Kataryn, I also think,, IMO, that they hurt the Queen and Prince of Wales.

Not going to rehash it, we have a difference of opinions

HighGoalHighDreams 05-03-2020 12:30 PM

One thing is for certain: Omid has spent too long building a favorable relationship with the Sussexes to burn that bridge by printing anything they don't approve of. That connection is too valuable to him. If he continues to act as their de facto spokesperson, we will know what we need to about the Sussexes' feelings about the book's contents.

Missjersey 05-03-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2311938)
One thing is for certain: Omid has spent too long building a favorable relationship with the Sussexes to burn that bridge by printing anything they don't approve of. That connection is too valuable to him. If he continues to act as their de facto spokesperson, we will know what we need to about the Sussexes' feelings about the book's contents.

Seems like he’a become their parrot

Lumutqueen 05-03-2020 12:35 PM

Thoroughly Modern Royals:The Real World of Harry and Meghan.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsypaige (Post 2311919)
How do you mean?

I feel like this book is going to reflect exactly what Harry and Meghan want it to, that it’s closer to a ghost written memoir/tell-all than it is straight non-fiction with one (even if it was long) interview.

I agree, previous posters suggested that this book was nothing more than other previous corroborations we’ve seen which has simply done a “day in the life” of a royal. The DM article, if true, smashes that theory. This is their attempt at the Andrew Morton...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2311938)
One thing is for certain: Omid has spent too long building a favorable relationship with the Sussexes to burn that bridge by printing anything they don't approve of. That connection is too valuable to him. If he continues to act as their de facto spokesperson, we will know what we need to about the Sussexes' feelings about the book's contents.


If this is, as they say it is, I hope this burns any non Sussex bridges for him in the UK. He’s not a reporter, he’s a repeater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missjersey (Post 2311939)
Seems like he’a become their parrot


I’ve been shot down on this forum for saying he was their mouthpiece, now they’ve only gone and proved me right.

Kataryn 05-03-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2311940)
I agree, previous posters suggested that this book was nothing more than other previous corroborations we’ve seen which has simply done a “day in the life” of a royal. The DM article, if true, smashes that theory. This is their attempt at the Andrew Morton...


Why do people still believe anything the Daily Mail or the other tabloids write. We know that their employees and their informant were locked out of Harry's and Meghan's life and that they have a big agenda against the, So why believe their "fears" that scandalous things might happern? And what things? It's not like H&M had an enemy in the Royal family! The queen and Charles love them and William is Harry's brother! So what kind of stories will come out that will hurt the family members? I can imagine there can be stories about the staff collaborating with the tabloids, but how could this hurt H&M or the RF?

Lumutqueen 05-03-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2311942)
Why do people still believe anything the Daily Mail or the other tabloids write.


Did you read the part where I wrote, “if true”?....because your response to my comment says you didn’t.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises