The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Belgian State Visit to Italy : 1-3 December 2021 [Cancelled] (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/belgian-state-visit-to-italy-1-3-december-2021-cancelled-47245.html)

eya 02-15-2020 08:29 AM

Belgian State Visit to Italy : 1-3 December 2021 [Cancelled]

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will pay a State Visit to Italy from 23 to 25 March as guests of president Sergio Mattarella.

https://www.monarchie.be/fr/agenda/v...etat-en-italie

Tatiana Maria 02-15-2020 09:01 AM

King Philippe clearly takes great pride in his family history; I wonder if he will discuss his half-Italian heritage on the trip.

Biri 02-15-2020 11:47 AM

I am sure he will.

Duc_et_Pair 02-15-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2293543)
King Philippe clearly takes great pride in his family history; I wonder if he will discuss his half-Italian heritage on the trip.

It is not the King but the (still demissionary) Government which decides on State Visists. But indeed, he is a son of an Italian aristocrat and his great-aunt Maria-José was the last Queen of Italy.

But apart from that, in the former coal mining and steel works regions in Belgium there are a LOT of Belgians from Italian origin. The first wave of immigrants after WWII was mainly Italian. All flocking to the (then) thriving industrial regions in mainly Liège and to the coal mines in mainly Limbourg.

I am curious to see if the King will meet Prince Vittorio Emanuele (a full cousin of his father).

Royal link to the Italian royal family:

Philippe, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x la comtesse Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz
|
Albert II, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x Donna Paola dei principi Ruffo di Calabria
|
Léopold III, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x Princess Astrid of Sweden
|
Albert I, Roi des Belges , prince de Belgique, prince de Saxe-Cobourg et Gotha x Elisabeth Herzogin in Bayern
|
la princesse Marie-José de Belgique x Umberto II, Re d'Italia, Duca di Savoia
|
Vittorio Emanuele, Duca di Savoia x Marina Ricolfi Doria
|
Emanuele Filiberto, Principe di Savoia x Clotilde Courau

maria-olivia 02-15-2020 02:19 PM

A lot of italians left their Sunny Country to work in our Coal Mines until the Tragedy of le Bois du Cazier (more of 200 deads)
They married belgians and brought Joy in the poor Wallonie of that time.
Many of them never returned in Italy because they wanted to stay with their Children and Grandchildren.

Duc_et_Pair 02-15-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2293655)
A lot of italians left their Sunny Country to work in our Coal Mines until the Tragedy of le Bois du Cazier (more of 200 deads)
They married belgians and brought Joy in the poor Wallonie of that time.
Many of them never returned in Italy because they wanted to stay with their Children and Grandchildren.

I thought Wallonie was rich then? Cockerill, Usines Boël, Union Minière, Compagnie Maritime Belge, Société Générale... it was not for nothing that Italians went to Wallonie.

Expo 1958, the Atomium :belgiumflag: was a rich and booming country in the 1950's. (The immigrants were very poor indeed. I saw the movie "Marina" about young Rocco Granata. Pffff, very hard circumstances indeed.)

maria-olivia 02-15-2020 04:50 PM

Italian immigrants came after WW2 when the Glory of what you mentioned above were in decline.
Your Post is our of Topic.

Mbruno 02-16-2020 05:38 PM

I wonder if the president of the Italian Republic will invite the princes and princesses of the House of Savoy to the state dinner. After all, they are related by blood to the Belgian king.

HereditaryPrincess 02-16-2020 05:54 PM

As Philippe seems to be interested in his genealogy this would have been a good visit to bring Elisabeth to but I guess this would interrupt her studies. Either way it'll be a good visit to follow.

maria-olivia 02-16-2020 07:54 PM

He did not invite the Princes of Savoie for King Albert II State Visit.
For Princess Elisabeth , Sudies first !

Marengo 02-17-2020 02:28 AM

:previous:

The state visit of king Albert II to Italy was in 1998. The prince of Piedmont was only allowed back in the country since November 2002.

Considering the controversies around the prince I would be very surprised if he would be attending the state dinner. If anybody is invited his son is a more likely guest.

leidi 02-17-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2293630)
It is not the King but the (still demissionary) Government which decides on State Visists. But indeed, he is a son of an Italian aristocrat and his great-aunt Maria-José was the last Queen of Italy.

But apart from that, in the former coal mining and steel works regions in Belgium there are a LOT of Belgians from Italian origin. The first wave of immigrants after WWII was mainly Italian. All flocking to the (then) thriving industrial regions in mainly Liège and to the coal mines in mainly Limbourg.

I am curious to see if the King will meet Prince Vittorio Emanuele (a full cousin of his father).

Royal link to the Italian royal family:

Philippe, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x la comtesse Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz
|
Albert II, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x Donna Paola dei principi Ruffo di Calabria
|
Léopold III, Roi des Belges, prince de Belgique x Princess Astrid of Sweden
|
Albert I, Roi des Belges , prince de Belgique, prince de Saxe-Cobourg et Gotha x Elisabeth Herzogin in Bayern
|
la princesse Marie-José de Belgique x Umberto II, Re d'Italia, Duca di Savoia
|
Vittorio Emanuele, Duca di Savoia x Marina Ricolfi Doria
|
Emanuele Filiberto, Principe di Savoia x Clotilde Courau

Elio di Rupo (the former Prime Minister of Belgium) is a son of one of these Italian immigrant families.

Duc_et_Pair 02-17-2020 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leidi (Post 2293990)
Elio di Rupo (the former Prime Minister of Belgium) is a son of one of these Italian immigrant families.

Indeed, but also the actor Matteo Simoni, the singer Lara Fabian, the F1 coureur Jérôme d'Ambrosio or even the Eurovision Song Contest winner Sandra Kim (real name: Sandra Caldarone).

A great community in Belgium. :italyflag:

maria-olivia 02-17-2020 07:42 AM

And the most popular the Singer Adamo !

eya 03-04-2020 01:22 PM

The Belgian state visit by King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to Italy is canceled (at the request of the Italian president because of the coronavirus ) and postponed to a later date

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESR__wbX...g&name=900x900

Duc_et_Pair 03-04-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2298051)
The Belgian state visit by King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to Italy is canceled (at the request of the Italian president because of the coronavirus ) and postponed to a later date

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESR__wbX...g&name=900x900

Ow, what a pity. But understandable. More than 100 Corona deaths is no décor for a State Visit.

Moonmaiden23 03-04-2020 02:01 PM

I completely understand, but it is indeed disappointing. I've a feeling Mathilde would have pulled out the fashion stops in Italy.;)

Mbruno 11-20-2021 10:11 AM

Belgian State Visit to Italy: 1-3 December 2021

Apparently there will be a Belgian state visit to Italy on December 1-3, 2021. I am not sure if that has already been discussed on TRF.

https://monarchie.be/fr/agenda/visite-detat-en-italie

iceflower 11-27-2021 11:30 AM

The state visit has been reduced: Only King Philippe and a reduced delegation will visit Italy on one day, December 1, 2021.

** lalibre article: La visite d'Etat du Roi en Italie reportée à cause de la situation sanitaire **

eya 11-27-2021 11:30 AM

And again not visit in Italy!

" State visit of Belgian King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to Italy is cancelled.

Decision taken "in the light of the suddenly very quickly deteriorating health situation in Belgium and Europe", the palace in Brussels says.

Trip was planned from next Wednesday to Friday."

https://mobile.twitter.com/WDehandsc...108230/photo/1