The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   Proclamation of Crown Prince: April 2020 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f126/proclamation-of-crown-prince-april-2020-a-47230.html)

Prisma 02-11-2020 02:30 AM

Proclamation of Crown Prince: April 2020
 
April 15: Imperial messengers are sent to Ise Jingu in Mie Prefecture.

April 19
Rikkoshi-Senmei-no-gi: 11am ceremony to proclaim that Prince Fumihito has become the Crown Prince. There will be ~350 guests.

Choken-no-gi: 4:30pm First Audience ceremony with Emperor and Empress.

Prince Fumihito will worship at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries.

April 21: 2 buffet-style banquets for ~750 guests.

April 23: Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino visit Ise Jingu in Mie Prefecture.

April 27: Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino visit Emperor Jimmu's mausoleum in Kashihara, Nara.

May 8: Crown Prince and Crown Princess Akishino visit Emperor Showa's mausoleum in Hachioji, Tokyo.

Sources: Sankei, Sankei 2

Japan streamlines celebration for crown prince's ascension to next in line | The Japan Times

Prisma 03-14-2020 07:58 PM

The government is considering cancelling the 2 banquets on April 21 over coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns.

Source: Mainichi

Tatiana Maria 03-16-2020 07:46 AM

I wonder what the original reasons were for streamlining the celebration as it doesn't appear that the participation by the Empress would be onerous. Perhaps the Imperial Family's earlier remarks about cutting costs and the media coverage of the expense of the abdication and enthronement encouraged the government to streamline the events overall?

Given the cancellations in the Imperial Household and in public life that have taken place by now, I also wonder why this celebration and the state visit to Great Britain have not been postponed.

Prisma 03-16-2020 09:14 PM

Yes, cutting costs and it's simply inappropriate to replicate everything from decades ago. Looks excessive nowadays.

I'm expecting the UK state visit to be postponed... to next year if the China state visit is rescheduled to this autumn. Just waiting for UK or Japan to announce officially.

As for the Crown Prince proclamation, if it's not cancelled... my guess would be
- severely limited attendance at proclamation ceremony - maybe Imperial family, top IHA officials and top ministers only. No need for 300+ guests.
- cancel 2 feasts
- mausoleum visits may still happen. The Japanese are still moving about and if the retired Imperial couple is allowed to travel to Hayama Imperial Villa and the Imperial Stock Farm, then the Akishino couple should be able to visit the mausoleums.

Japan eyes scaling down crown prince's April ascension rituals - Kyodo News

Prisma 03-18-2020 02:54 AM

The 2 banquets, planned for April 21, are cancelled.

Court banquets for crown prince elevation to be canceled over virus - Kyodo News

About 50 people will be invited to the Rikkoshi-Senmei-no-gi ceremony on April 19. Reduced from ~350.

Source: Sankei

Japanese Crown Prince's banquet canceled | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:

[...]

The proclamation ceremony will be held at the Matsu-no-Ma State Room at 11:00 a.m. It's expected to take about 15 minutes.

At 4:30 p.m., the Emperor and Empress will meet the Crown Prince for the first time after the proclamation [...] This is expected to take about half an hour.

The number of guests at the proclamation ceremony has been pared down from roughly 350 to around 50, and the doors of the State Room will be kept open during the ceremonies for ventilation.

Prisma 03-31-2020 01:59 AM

On March 30th, the IHA announced there will be no motorcade for Crown Prince Akishino on April 19 to prevent crowds from gathering.

The Proclamation in February 1991 had a procession of police sidecars and motorbikes escorting Crown Prince Naruhito to and from the Imperial Palace.

Source: Sankei

I'm surprised the government/IHA has not postponed the ceremony yet... Japan and Tokyo's coronavirus infections have increased recently, Tokyo Governor Koike has hinted at lockdown, and some are urging the Prime Minister to declare a state of emergency.

If the ceremony goes ahead, I sincerely hope the Hitachi couple and Princess Yuriko do NOT attend. Since the government tends to follow Heisei's precedent, there's a high possibility family members will be squashed to one side.

Getty Image

Tatiana Maria 03-31-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2304772)
On March 30th, the IHA announced there will be no motorcade for Crown Prince Akishino on April 19 to prevent crowds from gathering.

The Proclamation in February 1991 had a procession of police sidecars and motorbikes escorting Crown Prince Naruhito to and from the Imperial Palace.

Source: Sankei

I'm surprised the government/IHA has not postponed the ceremony yet... Japan and Tokyo's coronavirus infections have increased recently, Tokyo Governor Koike has hinted at lockdown, and some are urging the Prime Minister to declare a state of emergency.

If the ceremony goes ahead, I sincerely hope the Hitachi couple and Princess Yuriko do NOT attend. Since the government tends to follow Heisei's precedent, there's a high possibility family members will be squashed to one side.

Getty Image

I wonder if they are hoping that with Japan being relatively unscathed so far, any measures will only be in a place for a short time. Or, on the other hand, could they be worried that if the situation is exacerbated there might not be the opportunity to hold any traditional ceremonies in the foreseeable future, if only because the public would disapprove of the spending?

Prisma 04-02-2020 02:52 AM

That's true. The ceremony is nearly 3 weeks away and already scaled down, perhaps the government is waiting to see results of the current measures. Rescheduling is a headache but many events will be rescheduled anyway...

news24.jp reports Ise Jingu and mausoleum visits will be postponed.

ETA: However, given so many cancellations and postponements expected or already announced, it's super strange the Proclamation hasn't been postponed. (Well, I've been under stay-at-home orders for 3 weeks so a gathering of ~50 people is huge and worrisome.)

Prisma 04-09-2020 12:02 AM

On April 9th, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga reports the government is considering postponing the April 19 Rikkoshi no Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) due to the coronavirus state of emergency and increasing infections in Tokyo.

Source: Jiji

I expect the Rikkoshi-no-Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) will be postponed.
If Emperor Naruhito cannot receive ambassador credentials with ~10 people in the Matsu-no-Ma state room, how can the Rikkoshi-no-Rei go ahead with 50 attendees?

muriel 04-09-2020 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2306752)
On April 9th, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga reports the government is considering postponing the April 19 Rikkoshi no Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) due to the coronavirus state of emergency and increasing infections in Tokyo.

Source: Jiji

I expect the Rikkoshi-no-Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) will be postponed.
If Emperor Naruhito cannot receive ambassador credentials with ~10 people in the Matsu-no-Ma state room, how can the Rikkoshi-no-Rei go ahead with 50 attendees?

I do think it makes sense to postpone the proclamation. It really is not an essential event, and can safely be deferred to safer times.

Tatiana Maria 04-09-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2306768)
I do think it makes sense to postpone the proclamation. It really is not an essential event, and can safely be deferred to safer times.

I realize it was a reach, but when it first was announced that the proclamation would be scaled down rather than postponed I wondered if the rumor that the Prime Minister believes it will somehow assist him in shutting down discussion of female branches/succession in the Liberal Democratic Party was a factor. Of course, any discussion now seems far away - I highly doubt Princess Mako and Kei Komuro will press the issue of marriage in the near future, especially with New York (including Kei's university) being in lockdown.

In a similar vein, I wondered if the postponement of the Olympics was at work in the Government's reluctance to postpone this ceremony. Now that the Prime Minister cannot count on the Games as a boost for his administration, did he want to preserve as many other events of national importance as he could?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2306752)
On April 9th, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga reports the government is considering postponing the April 19 Rikkoshi no Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) due to the coronavirus state of emergency and increasing infections in Tokyo.

Source: Jiji

I expect the Rikkoshi-no-Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) will be postponed.
If Emperor Naruhito cannot receive ambassador credentials with ~10 people in the Matsu-no-Ma state room, how can the Rikkoshi-no-Rei go ahead with 50 attendees?

Thanks for keeping us informed - it looks as if all of your predictions thus far have been accurate. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to hold the ceremony without attendees or with a tiny number?

Prisma 04-10-2020 02:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
On April 10th, the government officially postponed the Rikkoshi-no-Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince).

Govt. to postpone Crown Prince's ceremonies | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:

Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga Yoshihide said on Friday that Prime Minister Abe Shinzo had instructed the government to arrange the postponement, following the declaration of the state of emergency over the coronavirus. Suga said the ceremonies committee will set a new schedule for the events.
On April 9th, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko visited the Imperial Palace to rehearse the ceremony.
Source: news.tbs.co.jp

Screenshots:
Attachment 302172

Attachment 302173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2306964)
I realize it was a reach, but when it first was announced that the proclamation would be scaled down rather than postponed I wondered if the rumor that the Prime Minister believes it will somehow assist him in shutting down discussion of female branches/succession in the Liberal Democratic Party was a factor. Of course, any discussion now seems far away - I highly doubt Princess Mako and Kei Komuro will press the issue of marriage in the near future, especially with New York (including Kei's university) being in lockdown.

In a similar vein, I wondered if the postponement of the Olympics was at work in the Government's reluctance to postpone this ceremony. Now that the Prime Minister cannot count on the Games as a boost for his administration, did he want to preserve as many other events of national importance as he could?

The government was supposed to start discussions on stable succession after the enthronement and then postponed to after the Proclamation ceremony. PM Abe and the LDP wanted to cement Prince Akishino's 1st-in-line status officially. I recall their expert panel (probably carefully selected to support male-only inheritance) or preliminary discussions would exclude female succession and female-led Imperial branches anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2306964)
Thanks for keeping us informed - it looks as if all of your predictions thus far have been accurate. Out of curiosity, would it be possible to hold the ceremony without attendees or with a tiny number?

You're welcome. :flowers:

If the ceremony had gone ahead, I'd guess < 10 people. Emperor Naruhito, Crown Prince Akishino, Prime Minister, IHA Grand Steward, 1 person from upper and lower legislative houses, 1 chief justice, 1 governor to represent all prefectures, and 1 foreign ambassador for the diplomatic corps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlOvR1wENk

Prisma 04-14-2020 04:34 PM

On April 14th, a government official reported the Rikkoshi-no-Rei ceremony (Proclamation of the Crown Prince) will be held by end of year. Probably around autumn.

Source: Kyodo

Prisma 09-28-2020 03:35 PM

Japan mulls holding crown prince proclamation events in November - Kyodo News
Quote:

The Japanese government is considering holding ceremonies to celebrate Crown Prince Fumihito's ascent to first in line to the Chrysanthemum Throne possibly in mid-November, an official said Monday.

The "Rikkoshi no rei" ceremonies, originally scheduled for April, have been postponed due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.

[...]

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the government will make a final decision on a possible autumn staging of the ceremonies after assessing the spread of infections following the recent four-day holiday weekend this month.

If the government concludes it is possible to adopt the new schedule, it will convene a panel to determine the specific date, the official said.

It is expected that preparations for the proclamation ceremonies will take at least a month after the scheduling is confirmed.

Two events -- the "Rikkoshi Senmei no gi" ceremony to proclaim Crown Prince Fumihito's new status and the "Choken no gi" ceremony in which he will meet with the emperor and empress following the proclamation -- had been planned for April 19.

[...]

Since mid-August, the number of new cases of the coronavirus has been on a downward trend in Japan and the government has gradually relaxed a range of restrictions.

[...]

Prisma 10-08-2020 03:56 AM

The Crown Prince proclamation ceremony "Rikkoshi-no-rei" is scheduled for November 8 and limited to about 50 attendees. The court banquets are cancelled.

Japan to hold crown prince proclamation ceremonies on Nov. 8 - The Mainichi

Tatiana Maria 10-08-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2347393)
The Crown Prince proclamation ceremony "Rikkoshi-no-rei" is scheduled for November 8 and limited to about 50 attendees. The court banquets are cancelled.

Japan to hold crown prince proclamation ceremonies on Nov. 8 - The Mainichi

I wondered if they would remain scaled down despite the delay. Personally, I am glad they are continuing to be cautious. But perhaps the scaled-down ceremony will set a precedent for future crown prince proclamations anyway, which would be in line with other cost-cutting measures.

Ista 10-08-2020 09:23 AM

One can't help noting the irony involved in the scaled down Rikkoshi-no-rei for the Crown Prince. He publicly (talk about breaking precedent) objected to the costs of his brother's enthronement ceremony, and now is having his own very, very low profile and presumably less expensive ceremony.

muriel 10-08-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2347432)
One can't help noting the irony involved in the scaled down Rikkoshi-no-rei for the Crown Prince. He publicly (talk about breaking precedent) objected to the costs of his brother's enthronement ceremony, and now is having his own very, very low profile and presumably less expensive ceremony.

The irony is certainly not lost!

REAL COUNTESS 10-08-2020 01:46 PM

Sad that the government did not change the Constitution to make it possible for Pss Aiko to become the CPss and Empress one day. Japan is just like the UK and other Royal Houses a Constitutional Monarchy. The laws are made by the Government not the Emperor. So female members should be able to be Empress in her own right.

Prisma 10-23-2020 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some decisions for the "Rikkoshi no Rei"

- Emperor Naruhito sends messengers to Ise Jingu on November 5
- Except the Emperor, Empress, and Crown Prince couple, other attendees will wear masks on November 8
- No ceremonial convoy between Akasaka Estate and Imperial Palace
- No congratulatory book signings at Imperial Palace
- Crown Prince couple's visits to Ise Jingu and mausoleums will be decided later

Sources: Sankei, Jiji

On October 23rd, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko visited the Imperial Palace to rehearse the "Rikkoshi no Rei" ceremonies.

Attachment 302389


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises