The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Imperial Family of Japan (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Japanese Palaces Castles Mansions & Houses (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/japanese-palaces-castles-mansions-and-houses-4719.html)

Prisma 06-05-2018 01:36 AM

Short clips on the Akasaka Palace and Kyoto state guest houses:
The State Guest House, Akasaka Palace (2’) - Japanese Government Internet TV

Yushintei, the Annex of the State Guest House, Akasaka Palace (1’) - Japanese Government Internet TV

The Kyoto State Guest House (2’) - Japanese Government Internet TV

Prisma 08-23-2018 01:52 PM

200-inch monitors will be installed on either side of the balcony used for general public greetings before the abdication, possibly ready by this December for Emperor Akihito's birthday greeting. The installation is based on feedback following record number of visitors at the last two general public events.

Source: news.tv-asahi.co.jp

Prisma 12-25-2018 09:17 PM

For whatever reason Japan twitter discussed Imperial residences today so I thought I'd join in. :flowers:

East residence of Prince Mikasa (Prince Tomohito's residence)
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0010000q/9.jpg

Screenshots from a recent interview with Princess Akiko
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRu6TxU8AARXlc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTbdCdU8AAAbV1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTcv5-VAAAZ-kE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTcUxLUcAA-E5x.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTbnrHUwAAv_Kr.jpg

Prince Tomohito in the same room
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRXKehU8AEbupk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRXNZ1V4AAilmG.jpg

This Mikasa family photo was taken at Prince Tomohito's residence in 2006 (?)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRV3ucV4AApTbl.jpg

Prince Akishino's residence (formerly Prince Chichibu's residence. Renovated in 1997 and expanded in 2000)
The 2-story structure on the left are the newer residential quarters while parts of Prince Chichibu's residence on the right is used for official affairs.
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0003000q/9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRowcGVsAMB8YE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTYUIgUcAE4KMq.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTZzPWVAAAn-m_.jpg

Prince Tomohito and Prince Akishino residences are quite close:
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0004000q/9.jpg

Prince Mikasa's residence (red roof) is next to Prince Tomohito's residence:
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20...4131096798.jpg

Prince Takamado residence:
https://msckknck1999.cocolog-nifty.co...5/27/photo.jpg
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...c/3cd0b970.jpg
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...5ddd9b53-s.jpg
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20...4131089543.jpg

The drawing room we're probably most familiar with; the scene of 20th birthday photos, interviews, and Princess Noriko and Ayako's engagement ceremonies:
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...4/942683e6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRdBXCUwAUAmPz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRdDZLVsAAyuuO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvPykRjUwAAXBxh.jpg

Prince Hitachi's residence in Shibuya, Tokyo.
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...9/c9482a64.png
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...4/f43ad834.png

Prisma 04-28-2020 01:13 AM

On April 20th, the IHA reported all renovation and maintenance work has been suspended for the Imperial residence, Akishino residence, Museum of the Imperial Collections, and Imperial Palace's East Gardens due to the coronavirus state of emergency.

Source: Kyodo

Prisma 05-25-2020 05:52 PM

Kyoto Imperial Palace, Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Katsura Imperial Villa, and Shugakuin Imperial Villa reopened on May 23 after closing due to coronavirus.

- all visitors must wear masks
- physical distancing and reducing number of visitors
- booking requests for Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Katsura Imperial Villa and Shugakuin Imperial Villa will resume

https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/info-r020522.html
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/info/info-r020522.html

Durham 05-25-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2183791)
For whatever reason Japan twitter discussed Imperial residences today so I thought I'd join in. :flowers:

East residence of Prince Mikasa (Prince Tomohito's residence)
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0010000q/9.jpg

Screenshots from a recent interview with Princess Akiko
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRu6TxU8AARXlc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTbdCdU8AAAbV1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTcv5-VAAAZ-kE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTcUxLUcAA-E5x.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTbnrHUwAAv_Kr.jpg

Prince Tomohito in the same room
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRXKehU8AEbupk.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRXNZ1V4AAilmG.jpg

This Mikasa family photo was taken at Prince Tomohito's residence in 2006 (?)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRV3ucV4AApTbl.jpg

Prince Akishino's residence (formerly Prince Chichibu's residence. Renovated in 1997 and expanded in 2000)
The 2-story structure on the left are the newer residential quarters while parts of Prince Chichibu's residence on the right is used for official affairs.
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0003000q/9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRowcGVsAMB8YE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTYUIgUcAE4KMq.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvTZzPWVAAAn-m_.jpg

Prince Tomohito and Prince Akishino residences are quite close:
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/01...0004000q/9.jpg

Prince Mikasa's residence (red roof) is next to Prince Tomohito's residence:
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20...4131096798.jpg

Prince Takamado residence:
https://msckknck1999.cocolog-nifty.co...5/27/photo.jpg
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...c/3cd0b970.jpg
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...5ddd9b53-s.jpg
https://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20...4131089543.jpg

The drawing room we're probably most familiar with; the scene of 20th birthday photos, interviews, and Princess Noriko and Ayako's engagement ceremonies:
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...4/942683e6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRdBXCUwAUAmPz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvRdDZLVsAAyuuO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvPykRjUwAAXBxh.jpg

Prince Hitachi's residence in Shibuya, Tokyo.
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...9/c9482a64.png
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfami...4/f43ad834.png

Are these residences all in the same location?

Prisma 05-25-2020 07:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 2316275)
Are these residences all in the same location?

Most residences are located in Akasaka Estate. Togu Palace is now renamed Akasaka Imperial residence.
Attachment 302190

Closer view of Takamado, Mikasa, and Mikasa East residences
Attachment 302192

Map with Hitachi residence
Attachment 302189

Map with Hitachi and Takanawa residences. Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko moved to Takanawa in late March.
Attachment 302191

Durham 05-26-2020 02:05 PM

Thank you.:flowers:

It's very interesting to see where various members live. Tokyo has more large green spaces than I realised.

Apart from the palaces themselves are these individual private homes provided for by the state?

Tatiana Maria 05-26-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisma (Post 2183791)
For whatever reason Japan twitter discussed Imperial residences today so I thought I'd join in. :flowers:

I realize this was over a year ago, but do you remember whether it was royalty watchers who were interested in the discussion or also the general public?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 2316420)
It's very interesting to see where various members live. Tokyo has more large green spaces than I realised.

I am only guessing, but I would not surprised if it were far more challenging to find (and afford) green space for Tokyo residents who are not royal. ;)

Prisma 05-27-2020 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2316524)
I realize this was over a year ago, but do you remember whether it was royalty watchers who were interested in the discussion or also the general public?
[...]

I believe it was royal watchers who were discussing residences.

Man swims across moat to enter Imperial Palace grounds - Japan Today
Quote:

A Japanese man was arrested in Tokyo on Monday after swimming across the Imperial Palace's moat to scale an outer wall, entering off-limits parts of the grounds, police said.

They said the man appeared to be in his 40s and was arrested mid-morning after emerging on palace grounds shortly before Emperor Naruhito was scheduled to conduct a rice planting ceremony elsewhere on the imperial property.

No other details were immediately available, including the man's identity or motive for the incursion.

[...]

The man is not the first to be arrested for breaching the palace's defenses.

In 2013, two men who identified themselves as British tourists were arrested in their underwear after they swam across the moat to the outer walls, according to Kyodo News.

A year earlier a Japanese man was detained after being discovered inside palace grounds -- also in his underwear. He told police he had swum across the moat and wanted to meet the emperor.

And in 2008, a naked British man was arrested after swimming across the moat and scaling the stone walls in the full view of the public, even tussling with police armed with a stick when they tried to accost him.

[...]

Prisma 06-01-2020 01:29 AM

The Imperial Palace will resume guided tours on June 2nd. The Imperial Palace East Gardens and the Imperial Collections Museum will also reopen to the public.

Temperature will be taken at entrances. Visitors are advised to wear masks, maintain physical distancing, practice proper hand washing and sanitization, and keep personal effects to a minimum.
Guided tours will be reduced from 500 to 50 people maximum (20 with reservation; 30 walk-in)

IHA's English links:
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/kikakutenji-r02.html
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/info-r020601.html
https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-event/higashigyoen02.html

Prisma 10-07-2020 03:46 AM

A miniature model of the former Edo Castle is on display at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. (1/30 scale)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkdqZgD5MUA

Prisma 01-03-2021 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the night of January 2nd, a man was arrested for trespassing on Akasaka Estate where the Emperor and several Imperial families live. The 29 year-old man entered from the west gate of Akasaka Palace (state guest house) around 9:40pm and was arrested by an Imperial guard officer near Princess Yuriko's residence about 2 hours later. During the investigation, the man said "I wanted to meet the Imperial family."

The state guest house is used for visiting dignitaries and as a venue for conferences, itís not a residence for the Imperial family. There were no guards at the time.

Sources: TBS, FNN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRWcPrEuHlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_nuTEdTEM
Attachment 302456

Muhler 01-03-2021 02:47 AM

So he was walking merrily around for two hours?!?

Okay, it's a big complex, but nevertheless.

Prisma 01-15-2021 11:47 PM

Follow up about the January 2 incident:

The security staff repeatedly turned off the sensor notifying the intrusion, probably mistaking a small animal caused a malfunction. The Cabinet Office, which has jurisdiction over Akasaka Palace (state guest house), is reviewing the security system.

The intruder got over the west gate of the guest house, which is over 2m high, after 9:40pm on January 2. The man entered Akasaka Estate about 40 minutes later through a door between the properties. He was detected and later arrested near the Mikasa residence by an Imperial escort officer who was searching for the trespasser.

Source: TBS

Yomiuri reports the security officer has been punished but didn't specify how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FsLz3O_-cU

Prisma 01-18-2021 02:02 AM

On January 18th, Tokyo Metropolitan Police arrested a man trying to climb the bank of Akasaka Estate. The man, in his 20s to 30s, was arrested around 10:50am when a passerby dialed 110 (Japan's emergency number to report accident/crime). He didn't have any dangerous items; police are investigating his identity and motives. The bank is almost vertical due to the stone wall construction.

Source: Kyodo

Muhler 01-18-2021 03:47 AM

The loons are out in force these days!

As to the first intruder: Where were he for the 40 minutes between entering the area and until he was detected? Let alone apprehended.

As for the security officer, he's probably watching a tree on an island somewhere, making sure it doesn't run away. :tongue:
It's goodbye career for him, I'm afraid. :ermm:

Blog Real 02-11-2021 01:08 PM

List of Japanese imperial residences
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ial_residences

Prisma 04-24-2021 02:42 AM

'Oldest' Edo Castle stone wall found | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:

An approximately 400-year-old stone wall from Edo Castle has been found on the premises of the Imperial Palace in central Tokyo.

The wall was unveiled to the media on Tuesday. It was discovered as excavation work was being carried out in the palace's eastern garden ahead of the planned rebuilding of an Imperial repository.

The wall is around 16 meters wide and four meters high. It is comprised of about seven layers of stones.

Experts say the technique used to stack up the stones is different from the one used to build other walls at the castle.

[...]

Emperor Naruhito visited the site himself in February.

The wall will be reburied in order to protect it. The Imperial Household Agency plans to modify the design of the new repository and postpone the construction work for about one year.

Professor Emeritus Ono Masatoshi at the National Museum of Japanese History says little is known about Edo Castle's early days. He says the discovery of the wall will open a new chapter of scientific research on the castle's history. He added that the find can also give researchers a glimpse into the period during which the country transitioned from the period of Warring States into the Tokugawa Shogunate era.

Ono noted that many of the engraved marks discovered on the stone surfaces could provide information about relations between the Shogunate and the feudal lords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqOJoaeKqeI
Emperor Naruhito's family visited the site on April 13 when they visited the Imperial Palace to inspect the Imperial residence's renovations. [Sankei Imperial Weekly 688]

Crown Prince Akishino's family visited the site on April 23. [FNN]

Prisma 06-12-2021 12:50 AM

Imperial Household Agency reopens East Gardens | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:

The Imperial Household Agency has reopened the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. The site was closed for six months, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Otemon gate of the Imperial Palace was opened to the public on Tuesday morning. Officials called on people to take anti-infection measures, such as disinfecting their hands and wearing masks.

Visitors were able to observe 84 different kinds of Japanese irises that are now in full bloom.

[...]

The Imperial Household Agency says the East Gardens will close at 4:30 p.m., which is 90 minutes earlier than usual. The agency also says the number of visitors on guided tours at the Imperial Palace will be limited for the time being.
Japanís Imperial Palace to Reopen to Public Tues. | Nippon.com
Quote:

Japanís Imperial Palace, the palaceís East Gardens and the Sannomaru Shozokan museum of Imperial collections will reopen to the public Tuesday, the Imperial Household Agency said Monday.

The three sites have been closed since Dec. 26 last year as part of coronavirus measures.

[...]

For the guided tour at the palace, the maximum number of participants will be 120 each in the morning and afternoon. They will have their temperatures taken.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises