The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/harry-and-meghan-legal-actions-against-the-media-46799.html)

ACO 10-01-2019 02:41 PM

Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media
 
Well things are about to get interesting. Harry and Meghan are suing the Mail on Sunday.

Full statement here:

https://sussexofficial.uk/

HighGoalHighDreams 10-01-2019 03:08 PM

I applaud Harry for taking the action he believes is right instead of the one he believes is easy. I specifically single out Harry here because he represents this "right rather than easy" as his own thoughts, rather than those of his wife Meghan. I wish to applaud her too if these are her feelings.

I wish this statement by Harry had omitted two things: the reference to his son, and the reference to his mother. The reference to his son was, in my opinion, not relevant in the way it was used. It felt it was added in as "this all happened while she was pregnant and a new mother," and if these allegations are true, they should not have occurred whether Meghan was pregnant or a new mother or not. Period. This treatment was not inappropriate because of her status as a pregnant woman or a mother, it was inappropriate because of her status as a human being. As for the reference to his mother, not only is everyone aware of what happened, but no other individual would get away with saying they are launching a legal action because they lost a family member when something similar happened. It would, and should, be set aside as irrelevant. I am sure my feelings on this will not be popular.

Humbugged 10-01-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2256862)
I applaud Harry for taking the action he believes is right instead of the one he believes is easy. I specifically single out Harry here because he represents this "right rather than easy" as his own thoughts, rather than those of his wife Meghan. I wish to applaud her too if these are her feelings.

I wish this statement by Harry had omitted two things: the reference to his son, and the reference to his mother. The reference to his son was, in my opinion, not relevant in the way it was used. It felt it was added in as "this all happened while she was pregnant and a new mother," and if these allegations are true, they should not have occurred whether Meghan was pregnant or a new mother or not. Period. This treatment was not inappropriate because of her status as a pregnant woman or a mother, it was inappropriate because of her status as a human being. As for the reference to his mother, not only is everyone aware of what happened, but no other individual would get away with saying they are launching a legal action because they lost a family member when something similar happened. It would, and should, be set aside as irrelevant. I am sure my feelings on this will not be popular.




There is precedent for them winning this .Charles sued when they published letters of his and won citing copyright

Osipi 10-01-2019 03:20 PM

I am over the moon happy to read Harry's statement in regards to taking legal actions on this matter. What impresses me the most is that both Harry and Meghan have taken the path to fight bullying in an adult and a responsible manner through legal channels rather than addressing their bullies themselves.

Even more, should they win this lawsuit, the awarded monies will be donated to an anti-bullying campaign organization. *This* is putting your money where your mouth and beliefs are and I seriously hope they do win their case against the Mail on Sunday and the Associated Newspapers.

Perhaps if more legal action was taken like this, those that write, print or put online their stories will start to revert to credible journalism. At least I hope so.

DuchessMia 10-01-2019 03:34 PM

What a powerful statement from Harry. I’m glad he isn’t keeping calm and carrying on. The tabs were acting as if their endgame was a tunnel in Paris. It’s been entirely too much. There’s legitimate criticisms and there’s a patterned attack to demean and dehumanize a person. I fully believe they put Meghan and Archie in danger and made keeping them safe a larger chore.

SLV 10-01-2019 03:37 PM

Well done to H&M. I hope they win.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 03:39 PM

They should sue Thomas Markle as well. He sold the letter to the Mail on Sunday.

Chloep 10-01-2019 03:42 PM

Long overdue & well done! And I particularly enjoyed him remarking on the sudden 'shift' in the British press coverage - he is absolutely right! Not setting any boundaries around Meghan years and years ago emboldened the British press pack enormously and allowed the situation to escalate to this point, I am happy that the new team behind the Sussexes at least sees the importance of rectifying this.

Precedence is certainly on their side.

ACO 10-01-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2256864)
There is precedent for them winning this .Charles sued when they published letters of his and won citing copyright

They sure do. Also worth noting at the time it happened people pointed out this could occur as she has the copyright. This take guts to do this on the eve of the tour closing but clearly they have had enough.

O-H Anglophile 10-01-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2256862)

I wish this statement by Harry had omitted two things: the reference to his son, and the reference to his mother. The reference to his son was, in my opinion, not relevant in the way it was used. It felt it was added in as "this all happened while she was pregnant and a new mother," and if these allegations are true, they should not have occurred whether Meghan was pregnant or a new mother or not. Period. This treatment was not inappropriate because of her status as a pregnant woman or a mother, it was inappropriate because of her status as a human being. As for the reference to his mother, not only is everyone aware of what happened, but no other individual would get away with saying they are launching a legal action because they lost a family member when something similar happened. It would, and should, be set aside as irrelevant. I am sure my feelings on this will not be popular.

I agree with both your points.:flowers:

Dman 10-01-2019 03:53 PM

DAMN! There you go Harry! He came out swinging like hell in that letter. I knew one was coming. The outside forces needed to be put in their place.

Betsypaige 10-01-2019 04:04 PM

I’m so happy and thrilled that Harry isn’t sitting back and allowing the media to have their way. The media probably assumed that they could get away with hounding Meghan like a pack of wolves on the trail of prey, but now they’ve been put on notice that there are consequences to their actions.

I couldn’t disagree more with the criticism of Harry referencing pregnant and eventual mum Meghan and his own mum. This is his personal statement, spoken from the heart, and it’s as a husband, father and son that he’s speaking. This is not an argument to be heard before the Court. When and if that time comes, I’m sure the lawyers representing Harry and Meghan will only make arguments that are relevant to the case. That is the time for cutting the extraneous references - not now.

I love that Harry opened himself up to the public, explaining why he felt compelled to pursue a court action.

tommy100 10-01-2019 04:10 PM

Whilst I am happy they are taking action against the Mail for this I wish they would also take action against Thomas Markle and also wish they hadn't announced it during an official tour.
Otherwise, nice move,

HereditaryPrincess 10-01-2019 04:21 PM

Go Harry :clap:
I'm most curious about how on earth did the Fail manage to get a hold of such an intimate letter. Even for a tabloid, this is pushing a new low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2256887)
Whilst I am happy they are taking action against the Mail for this I wish they would also take action against Thomas Markle and also wish they hadn't announced it during an official tour.
Otherwise, nice move,

I agree; though I'm glad that the Sussexes have decided to take action against the Daily Fail. It was much needed. However, Thomas Markle should have been sued a long time ago too, but I guess on the flip side; it's slightly different when he's Meghan's father, even though he hasn't been much of one lately.

ACO 10-01-2019 04:44 PM

Can they sue Thomas? He didn’t publish it and technically didn’t “sell” it.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 04:57 PM

Statement from Mail On Sunday: “The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Pranter 10-01-2019 05:03 PM

Well that is certainly up for interpertation ...'edited in any way that changed it's meaning' .... will be interesting to see how that falls out.


I think it's great they are taking a stand. We don't know (yet) if any action has been taken against her father or if it can be taken. U.K. laws are different than ours I think.

I hope they win a ton of money for the charity.

It will be interesting to see if the various media outlets/reporters retaliate.



LaRae

Osipi 10-01-2019 05:09 PM

I think that the main point is that as Meghan was the author of the letter, its contents are deemed her intellectual property. The face that the statement from the Mail on Sunday states that the letter wasn't edited in any way to change it meaning, tells me that it *was* edited. As Meghan's intellectual property, they had no right to edit it *at all* if I'm not mistaken.

Dman 10-01-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2256916)
Well that is certainly up for interpertation ...'edited in any way that changed it's meaning' .... will be interesting to see how that falls out.


I think it's great they are taking a stand. We don't know (yet) if any action has been taken against her father or if it can be taken. U.K. laws are different than ours I think.

I hope they win a ton of money for the charity.

It will be interesting to see if the various media outlets/reporters retaliate.



LaRae

They will likely try. The outside forces don’t like to be hit back after their smear campaigns. They like the royals to be silent and just sit down and take it. That’s not going to happen here.

O-H Anglophile 10-01-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2256914)
Statement from Mail On Sunday: “The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”

Via Chris Ship Twitter

"In addition to their unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year."
https://sussexofficial.uk/

I think there is no question they used parts of the letter to spin a story that had been perpetuated-mean Meghan cutting off her poor father who didn't know what he'd done to be treated that way. Most people have had it with that narrative.

Marengo 10-01-2019 05:19 PM

Sad that it had to come to this but a sensible step. The abominable state of the UK tabloid press in is well known but it always stays shocking to outsiders at least. I still remember the News of the World scandal, which was not so long ago.

I am not familiar with English law so I do not know how likely it is that they will succeed, but good luck to them.

I suppose the statement must have been approved by BP, but to me it seems strange that the palace has not made a statement about it. Of course in the UK they are used to members having their own communications with the press while elsewhere these things tend to be more centralised.

Dragging your father(-in-law) in front of a court may be the last thing they want to do. It must be a very painful matter for the Duchess. Perhaps they prefer to view him as a victim of the tactics of the press and the antics of the other sister. Somewhat like Queen Máxima who continued to believe her father's version of events while there was an government report that stated the opposite.

As for the timing: it is never a good time for such a matter as there will always be something going on, so this is as good as any.

O-H Anglophile 10-01-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2256920)
I think that the main point is that as Meghan was the author of the letter, its contents are deemed her intellectual property. The face that the statement from the Mail on Sunday states that the letter wasn't edited in any way to change it meaning, tells me that it *was* edited. As Meghan's intellectual property, they had no right to edit it *at all* if I'm not mistaken.

I know in the U.S., limited parts of a copyrighted work can be used under "fair use"--

"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.
"https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/


So while the publishing of a small portion of the letter from Meghan to her father may well have been legal (but not ethical) the lawsuit is about cherry picking portions to support a false narrative.

Osipi 10-01-2019 05:32 PM

A good example to look at is our own rules here on TRF. We cannot quote more than 20% of an article and then also must link to the original article. :smile:

I do wish the Sussexes a victory in this matter. I don't think their lawyers would be going ahead with this lawsuit unless they were pretty sure that they have a case against the Mail on Sunday.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 05:35 PM

“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

Humbugged 10-01-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2256925)
I know in the U.S., limited parts of a copyrighted work can be used under "fair use"--

"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.
"https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/


So while the publishing of a small portion of the letter from Meghan to her father may well have been legal (but not ethical) the lawsuit is about cherry picking portions to support a false narrative.




You seem to be quoting US statutes and trying to imply a fair use defense under English law because of US law .But as already stated courts in England have already adjudicated that publishing of private letters without consent of the author is a breach of the author's implied copyright .

ACO 10-01-2019 05:39 PM

There quite a few lawyers in twitter right now giving their POV.

Here is an interesting thread discussing copyright law.

https://twitter.com/DBanksy/status/1179112430217154562

Empress Merel 10-01-2019 05:44 PM

:boxing: :hammer:

Go get 'em. Their vindictive, agressive and dangerous attitude towards anything to do with Meghan is absolutely disgusting. I personally do not give them my views anymore and so should we all. They're an absolute horrid publication.

Pranter 10-01-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2256930)
You seem to be quoting US statutes and trying to imply a fair use defense under English law because of US law .But as already stated courts in England have already adjudicated that publishing of private letters without consent of the author is a breach of the author's implied copyright .


I'm trying to recall...but didn't one of Diana's butlers and Hewitt get into hot water over releasing her letters?


LaRae

O-H Anglophile 10-01-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2256930)
You seem to be quoting US statutes and trying to imply a fair use defense under English law because of US law .But as already stated courts in England have already adjudicated that publishing of private letters without consent of the author is a breach of the author's implied copyright .

No, I was explaining what US law is-I don't know if it is exactly the same in the UK. And in the US, publishing the entire letter would also need permission of the original writer or estate. It is using a small portion of a copyrighted work for discussion, etc that is fair use.

I did say " the publishing of a small portion of the letter from Meghan to her father may well have been legal." Please note the word "may" in my sentence.

Dman 10-01-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2256929)
“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

I still say, The Queen and Prince Charles don’t know how to deal with the smear campaign against Meghan. The woman was abused by the outside forces like hell for months on end. Something had to be done about it and I’m glad Harry and Meghan aren’t taking the abuse lying down.

Ista 10-01-2019 05:53 PM

This is a very interesting move on the part of the Sussexes, and if they win the case, it will hopefully have implications for how all the royals are covered in the future. This is going to be fascinating to watch.

Humbugged 10-01-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2256936)
No, I was explaining what US law is-I don't know if it is exactly the same in the UK. And in the US, publishing the entire letter would also need permission of the original writer or estate. It is using a small portion of a copyrighted work for discussion, etc that is fair use.




And I was explaining there is no such thing as fair use under this statute in England



And once again US law matters not a jot in England .



It matters as much as me trying to extrapolate the chances of winning a case of slander or libel in the US by suggesting that someone could sue because of the law in England

CrownPrincessJava 10-01-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2256938)
I still say, The Queen and Prince Charles don’t know how to deal with the smear campaign against Meghan. The woman was abused by the outside forces like hell for months on end. Something had to be done about it and I’m glad Harry and Meghan aren’t taking the abuse lying down.

Absolutely agreed here. The Queen and Prince Charles should have tried to set precedence whilst Diana was alive - they should have gone after the press. Prince William did when nude photos of Kate were published.

I applaud Prince Harry and Meghan for taking the Press to task. The abuse they have faced is beyond disgusting.

I wonder - can Meghan, as an American citizen, take legal action in the US?

Dman 10-01-2019 06:00 PM

I should say - it’s probably Harry and Meghan, their officials and legal team that told the family they will handle this much early on. This legal action didn’t come up over night. This was long in the making. So this could be why The Queen and Prince Charles didn’t step in. They’re backing the legal move though.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 06:14 PM

“Not for the first time, the Queen will be questioning (privately) the actions of one of her relatives. In this case, the timing - the couple are still on tour - and the wisdom of taking on the British tabloids”

- Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt

Pranter 10-01-2019 06:18 PM

Like he knows what the Queen will be questioning...he has no way to know when the Queen was consulted prior to, during or after.



LaRae

Somebody 10-01-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2256936)
No, I was explaining what US law is-I don't know if it is exactly the same in the UK. And in the US, publishing the entire letter would also need permission of the original writer or estate. It is using a small portion of a copyrighted work for discussion, etc that is fair use.

I did say " the publishing of a small portion of the letter from Meghan to her father may well have been legal." Please note the word "may" in my sentence.

Just wondering: Would it have been legal for her father to read from her letter on camera?

It seems they considered suing for a long time and figured this specific case would be their best chance of winning. So, I wonder how her father providing the letter to the press impacts the case.

Dman 10-01-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2256953)
Like he knows what the Queen will be questioning...he has no way to know when the Queen was consulted prior to, during or after.



LaRae

The Queen knows what’s going on. She’s not in the dark. It’s the outside forces that didn’t expect Harry and Meghan to not take everything lying down. They don’t like the royals fighting back.

Somebody 10-01-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2256950)
“Not for the first time, the Queen will be questioning (privately) the actions of one of her relatives. In this case, the timing - the couple are still on tour - and the wisdom of taking on the British tabloids”

- Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt

I am quite sure the timing was deliberate. Had they released this 2 weeks ago press coverage would probably have been worse. Now they had a successful tour, so the public will more easily stand with them.

In general, the tour may have been official but was mostly focused on personal interest of the couple and not so much on state-related business, so it didn't seem that much about representing the queen. Only a few occasions were clearly in that vein.

rominet09 10-01-2019 06:41 PM

I quite approve Harry's move…. even if it is rarely done in the Royal Family, I really think the press has gone too far. And this for months now….

Humbugged 10-01-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2256935)
I'm trying to recall...but didn't one of Diana's butlers and Hewitt get into hot water over releasing her letters?


LaRae




The lawyer that ACO linked to mentions that instance and the fact that the UK press wouldn't publish them because of copyright .


He goes on to say they sometimes do take a punt on publishing stuff that breaches copyright than cross their fingers and pray they don't get sued .


Notice the Mail makes no mention of the copyright breach and only brings up the editing part of the suit

Curryong 10-01-2019 07:11 PM

I'm late on hearing this news because of the time difference. (It's 9am here in Austraiia.) I just want to say-good on you Harry and Meghan. As the lies and twisted narratives from the Sunday Mail and other daily tabloids have piled up I prayed that the couple would do something like this.

I'm happy that it has now occurred. I believe every word in Harry's statement is heartfelt and true, and I hope that when their case is won the tabloids will finally back off attacks on the Sussexes.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 07:16 PM

I support them taking legal action if they think that’s their best recourse.

TLLK 10-01-2019 07:18 PM

:previous: I believe that they always meant to take legal action, but on advice of counsel were biding their time and waited until they had enough evidence to support their claims and ensure their best chance of a verdict in their favor.

Humbugged 10-01-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2256974)
:previous: I believe that they always meant to take legal action, but on advice of counsel were biding their time and waited until they had enough evidence to support their claims and ensure their best chance of a verdict in their favor.




Or they were waiting for the adjudication on The Sun and Dan Wooten's car park smear to be announced which it was a couple of days ago .


Front page big letters by the way for the retraction they got

O-H Anglophile 10-01-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2256942)
And I was explaining there is no such thing as fair use under this statute in England



And once again US law matters not a jot in England .



It matters as much as me trying to extrapolate the chances of winning a case of slander or libel in the US by suggesting that someone could sue because of the law in England

You do however have the doctrine in the UK of fair dealing, which while more limited than fair use could apply here as it can be used for the reporting of current events.

"Fair dealing is an exception to United Kingdom copyright law which allows for the use of copyrighted works without licensing in certain circumstances. It is governed by Sections 29 and 30 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, which provide three types of situation in which fair dealing is a valid defence: where the use is for the purposes of research or private study, where it is to allow for criticism or review, and where it is for the purpose of reporting current events."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_d...ed_Kingdom_law

I am in no way defending how the Sunday Daily Mail used the letter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava (Post 2256944)
Absolutely agreed here. The Queen and Prince Charles should have tried to set precedence whilst Diana was alive - they should have gone after the press. Prince William did when nude photos of Kate were published.

I applaud Prince Harry and Meghan for taking the Press to task. The abuse they have faced is beyond disgusting.

I wonder - can Meghan, as an American citizen, take legal action in the US?

Since Diana allied herself with certain members of the press during some of the coverage that would have been problematic. Richard Kay and Andrew Morton come to mind.

I do not think Meghan can sue in the U.S. for something published in the UK.

ACO 10-01-2019 07:48 PM

Meghan not suing the press for the nonsense they write about her though. She has a legit copyright claim against them. In this suit though she is hitting at the Mail on Sunday and Daily Mail as she is suing the parent company, I believe.

Harry's statement is of support that is taking a shot at the media's behavior but that is not the same as the lawsuit.

XeniaCasaraghi 10-01-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2256942)
And I was explaining there is no such thing as fair use under this statute in England



And once again US law matters not a jot in England .



It matters as much as me trying to extrapolate the chances of winning a case of slander or libel in the US by suggesting that someone could sue because of the law in England

The comparison could help American forum members to understand what the issue at hand is.

MARG 10-01-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams (Post 2256862)
I applaud Harry for taking the action he believes is right instead of the one he believes is easy. I specifically single out Harry here because he represents this "right rather than easy" as his own thoughts, rather than those of his wife Meghan. I wish to applaud her too if these are her feelings.

I wish this statement by Harry had omitted two things: the reference to his son, and the reference to his mother. The reference to his son was, in my opinion, not relevant in the way it was used. It felt it was added in as "this all happened while she was pregnant and a new mother," and if these allegations are true, they should not have occurred whether Meghan was pregnant or a new mother or not. Period. This treatment was not inappropriate because of her status as a pregnant woman or a mother, it was inappropriate because of her status as a human being. As for the reference to his mother, not only is everyone aware of what happened, but no other individual would get away with saying they are launching a legal action because they lost a family member when something similar happened. It would, and should, be set aside as irrelevant. I am sure my feelings on this will not be popular.

I would have to take issue with you in both cases:

Megan was mercilessly harassed in every ugly way during her pregnancy. My three older sisters were incredibly sensitive when they were pregnant. Those "it's okay for being pregnant" style of comments were incredibly good at undermining their confidence and were emotional grenades on a hormonal woman. In Meghan's case, they were not even true.

But my top of the hit parade was the kerfuffle about how inept and just plain useless Meghan was because she didn't even know how to hold her own baby! There is nobody more vulnerable than a new, first-time mother, a woman filled with a sense of her own inadequacies which is rubbish but when you are a sleep-deprived new mother those sorts of comments are designed to hurt and they even got experts in to evaluate her body language. What's the stance for "I'd like to wring the neck of every journo and faux expert marriage, motherhood and raising children"?

As to the reference to his mother, that is very pertinent. She lived the best and worst of the Media storm and he and William, as vulnerable children, lived it with her. They saw the pain it caused their mother on a continual basis. Story after story, week after week, and then they got teased at school about the latest "scandal". Those were not happy days because neither knew how to rescue her.

I would bet my last dollar that Harry would never, in his wildest nightmares, believe that as a grown man, a husband and father, he would be in the exact same position, seeing his beloved wife abused by the media and being unable to do much if anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2256929)
“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher-ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

Since the Sussexes have moved their offices to BP they have become quite proactive about making complaints and subsequent wins spurred on by Charles, Andrew and William who have all sued both newspapers and broadcasters, I think the Sussexes have the support of the Queen and Charles.

XeniaCasaraghi 10-01-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2256981)
Since Diana allied herself with certain members of the press during some of the coverage that would have been problematic. Richard Kay and Andrew Morton come to mind.
.


This right here, why would Charles and The Queen work to protect Diana when she herself was speaking to the press. Neither Kate or Meghan has allied with the press against The BRF like Diana did.

Humbugged 10-01-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi (Post 2256986)
The comparison could help American forum members to understand what the issue at hand is.




The issue is there is explicit copyright law with limited exemptions to publishing peoples letters without permission being granted.The only way they could justify it is somehow trying to make the case that it was in the Public Interest .But as ACO's lawyer said Public Interest and interesting to the public is not the same thing .


So is her pleading with her dad to stop selling stories to the press somehow a topic that needs to be aired for the national good or is it just they think their readers might enjoy gossip they might have got out it ?

XeniaCasaraghi 10-01-2019 08:32 PM

@HighDreamsHighGoals
I agree I also cringed a little when he brought up Diana. I feel what is going on with Meghan and what happened to Kate (in France) can stand on their own without having to mention Diana. WnH probably do take these things more serious because of their mom but Everytime they push back against the press they don't need to drop Diana's name. This newest pushback from Harry makes me think the stories of both WnH being overprotective were not exaggerated.

ACO 10-01-2019 08:52 PM

The press attacked Meghan everyday of her pregnancy. Never seen anything like it. That’s usually when the media chills but nope they were as vile as ever. The fact this suit has been in the works for months says plenty.

Harry has every right to be overprotective of his wife. These people don’t care about her well being. They proved that. She just another headline and if something happens then that’s just more clicks for them.

So yes Harry and William should do all they can to protect their loved ones.

Madame Verseau 10-01-2019 09:09 PM

Team Sussex on this matter. I didn't expect this to come out but I bet DM didn't expect it either, not while they were on tour and especially when Meghan's father played a role in this. There was talk about legal action earlier this year but they were trying to settle. I'm glad the queen and Charles were given the heads up.

I noticed the claim bits and pieces were cut out of the published letter. That claim couldn't be made unless Meghan had the original and Thomas was mailed a copy and Thomas sold the copy to DM and possibly leaving out or altering certain parts. It's probably what DM's lawyers are afraid of - it sold to the public it had the complete letter. You could tell it wasn't because the pages were numbered. Not familiar with UK law, but if it's proven in court that the Dad/DM letter is fake the tabloid has exposure. I think Dad would be thrown under the double decker bus.

Zaira 10-01-2019 10:17 PM

This all just so sad. The press, and many in the public like to pretend royals are somehow not real people w/real emotions. With Meghan, the hate and vitriol has become scary and violent. Something needed to be done.

Harry's letter really hit hard. What a tragic situation all around. I am not sure I understand the timing of announcing it during tour, but I am worried about how the press will respond. The papers are going to get very ugly :( As bad as we think things are, the British tabloid press can always dig a new bottom.

Really hoping better angels prevail with the press but that is a fool's hope.

Ista 10-01-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2257016)
I am not sure I understand the timing of announcing it during tour, but I am worried about how the press will respond. The papers are going to get very ugly :( As bad as we think things are, the British tabloid press can always dig a new bottom.

Really hoping better angels prevail with the press but that is a fool's hope.

The timing was a little odd. It seems to me that it might have been better if it had been released after the Sussexes were either on their way back home, or after they had arrived. It seems as though this has deflated some of the high from a really well done tour, and taken the focus away from some of the work that they are there to do, which makes me think there must have been a reason that the release was made when it was. I wonder if we'll ever find out why.

Like others, I feel as though the inclusion of Diana was unnecessary, but this is obviously a highly emotional issue for Harry (understandably) so it is easy to see where he is coming from.

ACO 10-01-2019 10:40 PM

I questioned the timing as well but then I thought there is no good time. Today or tomorrow. The story will be the same. Also as I was talking to some friends with legal background they pointed out that there could have been a deadline between the two parties. This has clearly been months in the making.

DeeT 10-01-2019 11:02 PM

I fully support the Sussexes! They have been under attack. It’s wrong to bully anyone, Meghan was bullied daily throughout her pregnancy & then postpartum, that is evil and anyone that defends the press is complicit in bullying. No one knows the toll the abuse has taken on the Sussexes. Thankfully Meghan delivered a healthy baby who appears to be doing well.

False information has frequently been reported then repeated in print, tv, radio. This evening a reporter was on tv quoting as fact info that was already retracted by the Sun. Totally proving Harry’s comment about the damage done.

Diana is Harry’s mother, he has a right to include his feelings about her if he wants. Reporters, ex-staff, friends, are still using Diana to make money. They are the ones who should stop using her name. Harry stated how he feels & that’s his absolute right. I fully support the Harry & Meghan!

Zaira 10-01-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2257019)
The timing was a little odd. It seems to me that it might have been better if it had been released after the Sussexes were either on their way back home, or after they had arrived. It seems as though this has deflated some of the high from a really well done tour, and taken the focus away from some of the work that they are there to do, which makes me think there must have been a reason that the release was made when it was. I wonder if we'll ever find out why.

Like others, I feel as though the inclusion of Diana was unnecessary, but this is obviously a highly emotional issue for Harry (understandably) so it is easy to see where he is coming from.

According to Chris Ship in his ITV report I just caught up on, they had to announce today due to some legal proceeding deadlines and issues so I guess that answers my question.

I think the tour has more than generated enough good will. But I am sad that Meghan speaking to the press may get overshadowed. She did very well in her short bit even though you could tell she was a bit nervous.

If nothing else, the media can finally stop baying about never getting to "know" or speak with Meghan now.

Countessmeout 10-01-2019 11:28 PM

Full support of the Sussexes on this move :flowers:

The tabloids, the MOS chief among them, have turned into a pack of rabid bullies plain and simple. The ridiculous stories they have woven against this couple are mind boggling at times. So much so that even people who dont like the couple have come to their defense on social media.

They can't go after the MOS for all the stories they print. But they can go after this one, because of copyrite. And they can hit the MOS where it hurts and that is in their pocket books. They have proven long ago reputation and credibility are not as important as money is to them. Maybe if they have to pay out a huge fine to the couple, they may stop for a half second.

And sweet justice that any money they pay would go to anti-bullying campaigns.

Rudolph 10-01-2019 11:48 PM

It’s the MoS not the DM, two different newspapers with different editors although they share a parent company. As far as a deterrent, there’s no amount of money that’s going to make a difference. Viscount Rothermere who owns the paper is a billionaire and he’s used to paying out fines.

Curryong 10-02-2019 02:05 AM

He may be used to paying out fines but I doubt he enjoys it. And it is the principle of the thing that's at stake. This newspaper group and others who own tabloids are in a dying industry as far as print media is concerned and so they're going down trying to court as much controversy (Clickbait) as they possibly can.

Well now the Sussexes have struck back. Nobody has to put up with the amount of vitriol, reshaping the narrative, changing the story, outright lying etc that this couple have been subjected to since 2016.

Countessmeout 10-02-2019 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2257034)
It’s the MoS not the DM, two different newspapers with different editors although they share a parent company. As far as a deterrent, there’s no amount of money that’s going to make a difference. Viscount Rothermere who owns the paper is a billionaire and he’s used to paying out fines.

Rich men can also be some of the biggest misers you meet. Those who made the fortune from business, don't enjoy throwing their money away on bad business. Getting sued for your articles is not good for business. Just because he is ridiculously rich doesnt mean he wants one of his cash cows to be hurt financially by a law suit.

Jacknch 10-02-2019 02:35 AM

I fully support Harry and Meghan taking this action and it is long overdue. As others have said, the timing will not have been under their control - if the solicitors are ready to proceed with the Court application, then it should proceed without delay.

It will be interested to see what possible defence the newspaper in question will come up with because whatever the legalities and moral implications there may be, publishing a letter like this and on such an emotional subject was wrong and cruel.

Hallo girl 10-02-2019 04:53 AM

Is it correct that the sections of the letter initially appeared in an American magazine prior to appearing in the MOS?

Queen Claude 10-02-2019 05:15 AM

:previous:
Sections may be an overstatement but the existence of the letter became known as part of the cover story that People Magazine did in February where five friends of Meghan were interviewed.

ETA:
Quote:

The Truth About Meghan Markle’s Dad — and the Letter She Wrote Him After the Wedding

“After the wedding she wrote him a letter. She’s like, ‘Dad, I’m so heartbroken. I love you. I have one father. Please stop victimizing me through the media so we can repair our relationship.’ Because every time her team has to come to her and fact-check something [he has said], it’s an arrow to the heart. He writes her a really long letter in return, and he closes it by requesting a photo op with her. And she feels like, ‘That’s the opposite of what I’m saying. I’m telling you I don’t want to communicate through the media, and you’re asking me to communicate through the media. Did you hear anything I said?’ It’s almost like they’re ships passing.”

https://people.com/royals/meghan-mar...after-wedding/

crm2317 10-02-2019 06:50 AM

I feel like the timing of this announcement and statement has been very poor, especially after such positive coverage of the visit to Africa.

I totally understand why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would wish to take this action. My worry is that the press is an untameable beast. That this action will turn them against the couple even more. Despite Harry’s good intentions to protect and defend his wife he could be making the situation worse.

Madame Verseau 10-02-2019 07:12 AM

The. Sussex's are on their last engagement and so far DM has given its coverage but it threw in the Range Rover story. The tabloid basically proved Harry's point.

Dad is going to get dragged into this mess. He would have to testify how he got the letter to DM is going to discredit him to protect itself.

Fijiro 10-02-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2257034)
It’s the MoS not the DM, two different newspapers with different editors although they share a parent company. As far as a deterrent, there’s no amount of money that’s going to make a difference. Viscount Rothermere who owns the paper is a billionaire and he’s used to paying out fines.

If, as you say, Viscount Rothermere is "used to paying out fines", to me that means that he is a repeat offender.

wyevale 10-02-2019 08:14 AM

The 'Range Rover story' is relevant.. does SA not have access to suitable vehicles ? Certainly it further undermines the couples 'eco-warrior' credentials, already battered by the Private Plane issue.
The case against the tabloid, is imo, entirely credible, and [under copyright law'] and has a good chance of success. But the timing s poor, when the Tour should be centre-stage'.

Duke of Marmalade 10-02-2019 08:14 AM

Looking forward to see how the court will deal with this issue. The law needs to be respected by everyone. I understand that H&M feel that the campaign against them - partly self inflicted or not - needs to stop. We'll see what the outcome will be.
Of course the lawsuit itself will create tons of headlines that will polarize opinions even more and the tabloids will be looking forward to that.
I did not understand the need to mention Diana again. As we all know, the situation was a lot more complex than to simple mention her in that respect.

Humbugged 10-02-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2257034)
It’s the MoS not the DM, two different newspapers with different editors although they share a parent company. As far as a deterrent, there’s no amount of money that’s going to make a difference. Viscount Rothermere who owns the paper is a billionaire and he’s used to paying out fines.




The Mail Online still has the letter up on it's site

Mbruno 10-02-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crm2317 (Post 2257119)
I feel like the timing of this announcement and statement has been very poor, especially after such positive coverage of the visit to Africa.

I totally understand why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would wish to take this action. My worry is that the press is an untameable beast. That this action will turn them against the couple even more. Despite Harry’s good intentions to protect and defend his wife he could be making the situation worse.




I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

Ista 10-02-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2257161)
I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

According to the information posted by ACO further up the thread (#1147), apparently not.

It's unfortunate timing, but it looks as though it was delayed as long as it possibly could be.

O-H Anglophile 10-02-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2257161)
I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

Maybe not, at a certain point don't things like this become public in the court system? I'm sure this has been ongoing for awhile now. So it may be a matter that it was either announce it themselves, or have a reporter break the story.

carlota 10-02-2019 08:49 AM

oh my... this is never ending, is it? it seems there can't be a month without some sussex drama. and H&M are part of the problem here - they just don't understand that by releasing all these PR comms out they are actually contributing to the problem, rather than helping alleviate it. and their PR team is a disgrace - some common sense needs to be injected in this team (and that includes the sussexes).

meghan has every right to complain about her private letter being published. what is odd is several things:

1. the timing - this letter circulated for the first time ages ago.

2. do they forget that the actual cause of the problem is that meghan's dad released the letter in the first place? maybe they should work on their own family problems before blaming the media. for the daily mail, if they get their hands on such things they will publish them. why don't they clean their dirty laundry privately and address that meghan's family are the ones who are actually harrassing -or as they put it 'bullying' - meghan, before blaming the media? her family are hardly irreproachable - but it is easier to blame the media.

3. if meghan's privacy was compromised, why is harry releasing a statement? can't meghan do it? isn't she all about women empowerment?

on top of it all, the PR release is just ridiculous:

a. harry states: "they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave." - excuse me, WHAT? kate has not been visible during maternity leave, yet we saw none of this circus.

b. harry states: "I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long." well... this 'suffering' is of its own making. there would have been less attacks of H&M if they were more reasonable in playing by the rules. they have bullied the media themselves, reporting that meghan 'had gone on labour' when she had actually given birth and gone home. they kept the christening private, godparents private which is not the done thing. had they been more generous and less snobbish, perhaps the media wouldn't pick on them so much.

c. "I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces." - to compare the scrutiny diana went through to meghan's is a huge exageration.

d. "The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her almost daily for the past nine months" - does he really want to talk about double standards when one week they were talking about climate change, and the next ones flying on private jets? really?

i am amazed at the incoherence of this all. never in the past year's royal members have operated this badly.


jane barr's blog post hits the nail in the head with her opinion on this blog post (as usual):

Harry's Statement on the Sussexes Lawsuit Against the Daily Mail

Dman 10-02-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2257161)
I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?

Timing was never going to be good. The tour is practically over anyway.

alvinking 10-02-2019 09:02 AM

I don't understand all the hoopla about time. Neither the Sussexes nor their lawyers control the justice time. Once the suit was filed it goes through the process at the courthouse at own pace. It just happened that the filling was about to become public at this particular moment, so their lawyers and Harry just made their position public in light of they justice timetable.

Dman 10-02-2019 09:13 AM

[QUOTE=alvinking;2257179]I don't understand all the hoopla about time. Neither the Sussexes nor their lawyers control the justice time. Once the suit was filed it goes through the process at the courthouse at own pace. It just happened that the filling was about to become public at this particular moment, so their lawyers and Harry just made their position public in light of they justice timetable. /QUOTE]

This is very true. They couldn’t control the timing of the lawsuit. I knew this was going to happen. The whole situation was snowballing way out of control.

Rudolph 10-02-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humbugged (Post 2257160)
The Mail Online still has the letter up on it's site

The Mail Online is another entity again with it’s own editor separate from the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday. Because all the titles are owned by the same person there is crossover content though. Individual editors make editorial decisions on what that content is.

Kataryn 10-02-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 2257167)
oh my... this is never ending, is it? it seems there can't be a month without some sussex drama. and H&M are part of the problem here - they just don't understand that by releasing all these PR comms out they are actually contributing to the problem, rather than helping alleviate it.


Well, H&M simply exist - if that is a problem for some, it can't be helped. What they do with their own publishing activities is to do something for others, while the media most of the time does something against them. That's quite the difference.



There are so many lies or misinformation floating around - why can't the media accept that these two want to live private lifes when they are not working for the sake of other people?

ACO 10-02-2019 09:30 AM

I don't want to twist your words carlota but all I got from your post is that had Harry and Meghan did what the press pack wanted then the attacks on them wouldn't have happened. That is a bit much. I mean that just proves Harry's point.

Also Kate wasn't attacked day in and day put throughput her pregnancies and maternity leave. That was Meghan. So yeah it was a bit quieter in that regard to the Cambridges due to that. I mean even some of the royal correspondents fully admit it has been overboard with Meghan.

Meghan and Harry aren't perfect but overall I have no issue with them suing the MoS and she doesn't have to "fix" anything Markle related. They are not in her life and haven't been for years. The media trying to use them against her is on them.

bertie5252003 10-02-2019 09:41 AM

Harry and his wife need to get on they either can sort out her family matters or just ignore them Harry married into a fam=ily that has a lot of issues and that is not a good idea for a Royal Family but he did and now as Thomas Markle asks for the letter to be published Harry refers again to princess Diana which I find appaling.

Pranter 10-02-2019 09:44 AM

As if the BRF doesn't have a lot of family issues! No one should be marrying into them if that is your standard!




LaRae

Osipi 10-02-2019 10:34 AM

Most likely, as its been stated that this upcoming lawsuit has been in the works for quite a while, Harry and Meghan have had a team of lawyers keeping up with everything happening in the tabloid press. Could very well have even started back around the time of the wedding with the Thomas Markle debacle

The letter Meghan wrote to her father was not only a private communication between the two of them but she also had the the belief that it *was* private and personal and that letter is her own personal intellectual property. Its not a case of what Mr. Markle did with that letter but a legal case against the Mail on Sunday for not only printing it, but "doctoring" it for their own purposes. Its a battle over words that Meghan has authored just as the same happened with Charles' letters.

We have copyright rules here for articles and pictures and they're set in stone to as not to infringe on someone else's intellectual property. We can link to pictures by Getty or such and quote up to 20% of an article along with showing the source (link) to the article itself. With TRF being an international forum, its covering all bases.

There are even international intellectual property laws and groups that focus on it. With Meghan's letter going from the UK to the US and then ending up being looked at by the Sussexs' lawyers on each and every little angle while trying to determine if they had a case or not, it all took time. As stated, the statement by Harry was made as it happened that the filing of the lawsuit was processed through the court and most likely the Mail on Sunday served with papers calling them to court. The statement wasn't just a PR thing Harry did at a time he chose, but a statement released showing intent to sue of which the Mail on Sunday had already been informed. It makes sense for Harry to get it out to the public first before the Mail on Sunday and their lawyers got the upper hand so to speak.

Its made the morning news on our TV show and if my other half is seeing it and asking questions about it and yelling "yellow journalism", then the news of this has really reached the general public. Of course the news show I was watching brings up our old friend, Piers Morgan but it was quickly explained just what motivated the man. :biggrin:

This is going to be a very interesting case to watch but one thing positive that comes out of it even before anyone steps into a courtroom is that the general population who may not have really followed all the garbage that has been thrown at Meghan in the past, is now beginning to see how she's been bullied and tormented by the British tabloid. As I said, if it comes down to my other half actually having an opinion on this matter, its a good thing. He's as interested in following the British royals as I am with following American football. :lol:

https://www.upcounsel.com/internatio...l-property-law

Claricecolin 10-02-2019 10:57 AM

There comes a time where the "never complain never explain" thing just doesn't work. I think Harry;yes I think it is Harry more than Meghan in this instance, has had enough. It seems for both Harry and William protecting their families is too priority as it should be. I think Harry still has some unresolved(yet misguided,as he was a child) guilt about not being able to protect his mother. He simply isn't going to allow his wife to be constantly attacked and do nothing.

Will the attacks stop, I doubt it. Actually I expect them to increase. I am optimistic that Harry and Meghan can handle it.

Dman 10-02-2019 11:08 AM

I can’t tell you how much it hurt my heart to see Meghan to go through something like this. Although, my hurt can’t be anywhere compared to what she’s privately feeling. I knew she wasn’t going to have an easy time, but I hoped the outside forces would at least act like they had some sense - that they wouldn’t be so cold-blooded towards her. This is devastating, but I know this couple is fighting back and they appreciate the support they’re getting. So, I’m at least happy about that.

Panther2000 10-02-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2256881)
DAMN! There you go Harry! He came out swinging like hell in that letter. I knew one was coming. The outside forces needed to be put in their place.

Same here, I knew something like this was coming. It is about time, even though it was mainly focused on THAT LETTER. I think it is more than just about the letter. This woman was bullied non-stop after the announcement of her expecting. I have never heard or seen such a thing. Going after a expecting Mother at this level. Don't know how the court case will turn out. But, I am so Proud & happy that they are calling people out on their behavior.

Standing O:clap::clap::clap:

Ista 10-02-2019 11:48 AM

As I said before, I think this case is going to be very interesting, and it looks as though the Sussexes have a very good chance of winning the case since British law appears to give the writer of a letter copyright over it.

However, unless I am missing something, that is all the court case is about: the misuse and alleged misleading editing of a specific letter, by a single newspaper. It in no way takes on any of the negative press. Harry's letter does, but the court case doesn't seem to be about that, it seems to be much more narrowly focused. I think breaking out the champagne and celebrating that the negative coverage will be a thing of the past, and that more balanced coverage will be the end result is premature. It would be nice, but I'm not seeing that as a foregone conclusion.

Edited to add: I also will observe that it may be possible that the DM may not have even known about the letter to Meghan's father if the "friends" who gave the interviews to People magazine had not mentioned it, so I hope the additional learning here for the Sussexes is to be wary about friends giving interviews about them. I have also wondered about the sequence of events around the interviews and then the publication of the edited letter in the DM. My assumption, which might well be incorrect, was that the interviews tipped off the DM to go digging.

Rudolph 10-02-2019 11:53 AM

I find it interesting the MoS have decided to not settle this ‘out of court’ and instead will defend itself vigorously.

But I agree it won’t do anything to reduce the negative coverage but probably just add more fuel to the fire.

TLLK 10-02-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2257161)
I agree with the bad timing argument. Couldn't they have waited until they had returned from Africa to announce this lawsuit ?


Pleased to see that the Sussexes have chosen to file the suit, but agree that perhaps they should have waited until they'd returned to the UK.

Madame Verseau 10-02-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2257231)
I find it interesting the MoS have decided to not settle this ‘out of court’ and instead will defend itself vigorously.

But I agree it won’t do anything to reduce the negative coverage but probably just add more fuel to the fire.


MoS is basically accused of using falsified or altered content in a letter to portrayed Meghan in a bad light. Something tells me Tom Sr is going to be called to testify and explain what he sent to the Mail. I still think MoS sees Markle as a liability.

Duke of Marmalade 10-02-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2257231)
I find it interesting the MoS have decided to not settle this ‘out of court’ and instead will defend itself vigorously.

But I agree it won’t do anything to reduce the negative coverage but probably just add more fuel to the fire.


of course they will have a court case, what creates more headlines than this? And you have the royals out there actually commenting on it every step of the way. they don't care about the outcome, they want maximum coverage and will focus on their storyline, getting Thomas Markle back in the focus. Just imagine him testifying. There will be statements, interviews etc ... maybe Harry wants a judge who confirms that he agrees with him but on the other side so much gossip will be created, not sure that will help especially Meghan in any way.

Ista 10-02-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2257247)
of course they will have a court case, what creates more headlines than this? And you have the royals out there actually commenting on it every step of the way. they don't care about the outcome, they want maximum coverage and will focus on their storyline, getting Thomas Markle back in the focus. Just imagine him testifying. There will be statements, interviews etc ... maybe Harry wants a judge who confirms that he agrees with him but on the other side so much gossip will be created, not sure that will help especially Meghan in any way.

I think if the Sussexes win the case the positive effect will be to prevent or at least discourage people from shopping her or other royal letters around to tabloids, at least in the UK. That would be helpful.

carlota 10-02-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Verseau (Post 2257246)
MoS is basically accused of using falsified or altered content in a letter to portrayed Meghan in a bad light. Something tells me Tom Sr is going to be called to testify and explain what he sent to the Mail. I still think MoS sees Markle as a liability.

and there we go again! mr markle testifying will further feed the wolves. proves exactly my point that had H&M just kept a quieter profile on this (and many other issues), things would be different. let the circus continue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2257184)
There are so many lies or misinformation floating around - why can't the media accept that these two want to live private lifes when they are not working for the sake of other people?

private lives? are we serious here? they are part of the BRF. either you step down and lead a private life (with all its pros and cons), or you represent the BRF and lead a non public life (with all its pros and cons). they can't have their cake and eat it.

Quote:

I don't want to twist your words carlota but all I got from your post is that had Harry and Meghan did what the press pack wanted then the attacks on them wouldn't have happened. That is a bit much. I mean that just proves Harry's point.

Also Kate wasn't attacked day in and day put throughput her pregnancies and maternity leave. That was Meghan. So yeah it was a bit quieter in that regard to the Cambridges due to that. I mean even some of the royal correspondents fully admit it has been overboard with Meghan.

Meghan and Harry aren't perfect but overall I have no issue with them suing the MoS and she doesn't have to "fix" anything Markle related. They are not in her life and haven't been for years. The media trying to use them against her is on them.
thanks for remaining polite, ACO. that's certainly a skill some in the forums need more of :smile:

as i see it, there is always a reason for things happening. why the attacks have happened or why they have happened on meghan and on harry and not on william and kate, is something for H&M to reflect on. things don't just happen and it takes 2 to tango.

mr markle has definitely been part of meghan's life until the wedding. he was invited and was going to walk her down the aisle until different arrangements had to be made.

Dman 10-02-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther2000 (Post 2257224)
Same here, I knew something like this was coming. It is about time, even though it was mainly focused on THAT LETTER. I think it is more than just about the letter. This woman was bullied non-stop after the announcement of her expecting. I have never heard or seen such a thing. Going after a expecting Mother at this level. Don't know how the court case will turn out. But, I am so Proud & happy that they are calling people out on their behavior.

Standing O:clap::clap::clap:

I never seen a pregnant woman go through this either. Especially, a senior female member of the royal family. Meghan’s pregnancy was suppose to be a time of celebration and it was turned into something dark and sinister. The same thing could be said about her maternity leave.

BaiSoSo 10-02-2019 01:47 PM

The constant bullying and lying of Meghan is despicable as Harry has said a couple of times now this is not a game....At some point you have to take a stand against it all and the Sussexes have said enough is enough, hence the lawsuit.

As for the timing who knows, there could have been legal deadlines and they postponed it as long as they could (so it wouldn't interfere with the majority of the tour). But honestly, the timing doesn't matter more than the fact that much of the BM has written stories often untrue or twisted on purpose that deliberately hurt people for no real reason. Those people need to be held accountable.

tommy100 10-02-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2256929)
“The Queen and the Prince of Wales are understood to have been “informed” about the statement, which was circulated last night. The Duke has spoken with his grandmother, a source said.”

Via The Telegraph

Falls short of saying it was approved by the higher ups. Sounds like they were told about it after the fact.

The use of their own website and the comment about using “private funds” suggests to me that the Queen and others were informed just before or as it was happening. Likewise I suspect they would have had reservations about making the statement during an official tour.

sophie25 10-02-2019 03:02 PM

Even if the court rules against the M o S using the letter it won't make any difference to critical reporting of the Sussex's going forward. The criticism of Meghan is what Harry really objects to but his lawyers must have advised that the letter was the only thing he could legally take the paper to court on. All the court case will do will be to drag the whole issue with her father back into the public domain and he might even be called as a witness. IMO it will descend into a very public dispute between Meghan and Thomas and the paper using the letter will be secondary in the reporting. I think the whole thing will be a circus and a mess and even if they win it won't achieve anything as I'm sure the media will have it in for them even more.

Pranter 10-02-2019 03:06 PM

It's really been going on since the news broke they were dating. It's just increased as time has passed.



LaRae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises