The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Beatrice and Edoardo: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/beatrice-and-edoardo-wedding-suggestions-and-musings-thread-46772.html)

Moonmaiden23 02-29-2020 11:06 AM

I am not enchanted with the idea of a 3 year old as best man...1) A three year old is a toddler not a man 2) A toddler is unable to provide any practical support to the groom such as keeping the ring safe and making a proper traditional toast later. A 3 year old standing at the altar is there primarily for the "awww isn't that sweet" factor. 3) If he is a shy child, it might not end well.:eek:

Surrounding Wolfie with other small children as a page boy or ring bearer seems not only the most pragmatic way to go, but the most compassionate one as well.

Durham 02-29-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2297038)
I am not comfortable with the idea of a 3 year old as best man...1) A three year old is a toddler not a man 2) A toddler is unable to provide any practical support to the groom such as keeping the ring safe and making a proper traditional toast later. A 3 year old standing at the altar is there primarily for the "awww isn't that sweet" factor. 3) If he is a shy child, it might not end well.:eek:

Surrounding Wolfie with other small children as a page boy seems not only the most pragmatic way to go, but the most compassionate one as well.

Maybe we're over analysing this a bit. It wouldn't be my choice I have to be honest but I'm sure everyone, adults & toddlers, will be happy enough.

I definitely prefer weddings without (very young) children but then I'm an old grouch.:lol:

Moonmaiden23 02-29-2020 11:21 AM

:previous: I LOVE the European tradition of having the bride and groom surrounded by child attendants at their wedding.

I just happen to believe that a 3 year old in the role of Best Man is an over the top, Kardashian way of doing things.:ermm:

Durham 02-29-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2297042)
:previous:

I just happen to believe that a 3 year old in role of Best Man is an over the top, Kardashian way of doing things.:ermm:

I completely get that point of view even if I see it differently. :flowers:

It's interesting how we can all see things from diverse viewpoints.

Biri 02-29-2020 12:16 PM

Just three months to go!

fabaunty 02-29-2020 12:42 PM

I'm sorry , but to be basing a discussion as to the pro's or con's of "wolfie" being his father's "best man" on an article in the Daily Fail !! well we in the royal forum's all know how reliable their articles can be . Yes we may wish to have more concrete details on ceremony / wedding party etc , but this is essentially a private wedding , albeit with the Monarch as Grandmother of the bride , I have no doubt that Edoardo's son will play an important role in both their wedding , and their future life . Both Beatrice , and Edoardo are adult's , both have complicated family dynamics , both IMO have behaved impeccably during a time ,when I have no doubt they have both just wanted to scream. Although Edoardo and his family have known the York's for a long time , they could never , [ thank's to issues out of their control ], have imagined the pressure/ publicity such a relationship would bring . Thankfully all the ADULT'S involved are behaving as adult's . I hope , and trust that Beatrice , and Edoardo and their family's will have a wonderful wedding and future together .

Tatiana Maria 02-29-2020 12:46 PM

The article quotes a spokesman, but indeed, if details are being confirmed via a short statement to a tabloid it seems unlikely that much information about the wedding will be released officially.

sophie25 02-29-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 2297035)
Surely HM will be charmed & tickled by the thought of a three year old best man. A light hearted moment in HM's family life.

I don't think the Queen will be 'charmed' at all. She's very traditionally minded and I think the fact that her grandaughter is even marrying a man who already has a young child with another woman won't exactly sit well with her.

Alison H 02-29-2020 01:03 PM

The best man usually makes a speech as well! Or maybe Edo doesn't want any speeches and this is a good way of getting out of it ;-).

Denville 02-29-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison H (Post 2297070)
The best man usually makes a speech as well! Or maybe Edo doesn't want any speeches and this is a good way of getting out of it ;-).

Hope it is not true.. and the child will maybe be a page boy. I can't see the queen being that taken with the idea either.

Lady Marlboro 02-29-2020 01:41 PM

I always thought the best man served as the principal witness for the groom. How do you get a 3 year old to sign the register? I appreciate the desire to have him included and made to feel like family but giving a man's job to a child who probably doesn't even understand the concept is taking it a bit too far. But that is just my opinion.

Sister Morphine 02-29-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 2297035)
Surely HM will be charmed & tickled by the thought of a three year old best man. A light hearted moment in HM's family life.

I disagree. While I don't have a problem with someone having a child in a non-marital relationship, QEII is far more traditionally-minded and religious than I am. I can't imagine the idea of her granddaughter's illegitimate stepson playing any kind of official role in the wedding aside from maybe Page Boy sits well with her. Yeah, it's 2020, but maybe not to her.

Frankly, I find it tacky that Edo is marrying someone so quickly after dumping the woman who gave birth to said child, but it's their life to live, not mine. I only hope Beatrice isn't making a huge, stonking mistake.

Erin9 02-29-2020 02:33 PM

Beatrice and Edoardo: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro (Post 2297086)
I always thought the best man served as the principal witness for the groom. How do you get a 3 year old to sign the register? I appreciate the desire to have him included and made to feel like family but giving a man's job to a child who probably doesn't even understand the concept is taking it a bit too far. But that is just my opinion.

I would assume he has a best friend/family member who can and will do what best men typically do, should he want/need someone to do so.

This just seems like a way to include the child during the ceremony.

Denville 02-29-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin9 (Post 2297110)
I would assume he has a best friend/family member who can and will do what best men typically do, should he want/need someone to do so.

Normal thing would be for him to be a page boy... or ring bearer...

Erin9 02-29-2020 02:43 PM

Beatrice and Edoardo: Wedding Suggestions and Musings Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2297111)
Normal thing would be for him to be a page boy... or ring bearer...

I guess Iím not sure why it matters. It seems to be a symbolic role, a way to include his son in a more personal way.

He can have a friend play the actual role without the title. Iím sure someone can be supportive, sign a register, make a speech etc without the official title. And wonít be bothered by what is intended to be a sweet inclusive gesture for a 3 year old.

This just doesnít seem like a big deal to me.

Countessmeout 02-29-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin9 (Post 2297110)

Page boy would include him. And not put a lot of pressure and focus on a three year old. Itís like Marius when his mom married Haakon.

A best man needs to be an adult who can sign the registry and give a speech. Certainly Edo has friends or even his half brother Alby who could fill that role. Giving Wolfie a title he can not actually fill is not a way of including him more.

Unless we actually get a statement from the couple I doubt it. Daily mail lives to make up stories and hope since wedding is private no one will disprove. Or they will spin it that the couple changed their mind.

crm2317 02-29-2020 04:32 PM

It reminds me of when Joachim married Marie and was supported at the front of church by his sons.

Letís be realistic, this wedding will be scheduled and planned to the max to accommodate the Queen and other royals. It will not be the best manís (adult or child) responsibility to make sure Edo makes it on time!

Durham 02-29-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie25 (Post 2297065)
I don't think the Queen will be 'charmed' at all. She's very traditionally minded and I think the fact that her grandaughter is even marrying a man who already has a young child with another woman won't exactly sit well with her.

Clearly you know more than I do about how The Queen thinks. I have no idea at all really. Just whimsical speculation on my part.:flowers:

Helen.CH 02-29-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Morphine (Post 2297091)
I disagree. While I don't have a problem with someone having a child in a non-marital relationship, QEII is far more traditionally-minded and religious than I am. I can't imagine the idea of her granddaughter's illegitimate stepson playing any kind of official role in the wedding aside from maybe Page Boy sits well with her. Yeah, it's 2020, but maybe not to her.

Frankly, I find it tacky that Edo is marrying someone so quickly after dumping the woman who gave birth to said child, but it's their life to live, not mine. I only hope Beatrice isn't making a huge, stonking mistake.

That is exactly my feelings, "usually" such combinations do not work out well.

Denville 02-29-2020 06:15 PM

Agree I don't think the queen is TOO happy wit the fact that Eduardo's child is so young and he's marrying someone else.. and I don't think she would be all that charmed by little darling being "best man". In royal weddings in recenet years, the very young attendants have usually been taken out of the church once they come In, because they're not likely to sit quitely through the service...