The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/general-news-about-the-sussex-family-part-one-may-2019-march-2020-a-46407.html)

Dman 08-20-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2247253)
Well, in the old days they hung out with the likes of Noel Coward, David(now Sir David,) Frost, Richard Burton and Liz Taylor...it only seemed more glamorous perhaps because there wasn't the Internet Age when we knew every move.

I don't want to see the Cambridges and Sussexes hobnobbing with Beyonce and JayZ and the Clooneys either but these are the times we live in. And except for the older generation Royals like QEII and the DoE the line between celebrities and Royals is mostly gone forever.

The guest list at the Sussex wedding should have made that perfectly clear.:ermm:

ETA: I agree with the poster who said Sir Elton John is no mere wealthy celeb... the man is a legend imo

The Queen was just seen out lunching with her good friend, famed race car driver Jackie Stewart this year. The royals always had celebrity friends and they hang out with them when they have time to do so.

Durham 08-20-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaiSoSo (Post 2247431)
I don't know much about the overall emissions information off the top of my head so I would have to do research on that before speaking to it. That being said people are acting like Meghan/Harry never take commercial flights and they have. Just like other royals including the Cambridges have taken private flights.

None of this would be happening however without the Sussexes themselves being perceived as so preachy & woke. Nobody likes being lectured to. "Do as I say & not as I do" will not endear them to the British public.

Without the climate posturing et al there would be no criticism of the Sussexes use of private planes except for the usual grumblings about how the other half lives.

An earlier comment referred to HM using Sir Donald Gosling's yacht in an attempt to draw an equivalence between her & the Sussexes. Sir Donald is a Vice Admiral in the Royal Naval Reserve, he is most emphatically not a celebrity.

Sir Elton John's comments, along with those of other celebritis, are pouring oil on troubled waters.

Hopefully the Sussexes will now get on with their royal duties with a minimum of fuss. A masterclass from the Princess Royal or the Gloucesters might not come amiss!

HereditaryPrincess 08-20-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2247256)
But, again, there were many celebrities at Eugenie's wedding to Jack, at the wedding of William and Kate in 2011, and no doubt there will be many at Beatrice's should she marry.

Celebrities as in actresses and actors have been mixing with royals since the days of Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales. And the fact is that many of the showbiz guests at the Sussex wedding were people that Meghan had worked with like her castmates from Suits. Aren't people marrying royals allowed to invite workmates to their wedding? Everybody else does.

Exactly. Charity functions and fundraisers seem to be one of the "key" organisations/places where one can mix in with royalty and famous faces, so it's only natural that if they're supporting the same charity, royals will cross paths with celebrities and they'll get chatting and become close. Elsewhere, royals and celebrities will also tend to mix in the same circles via parties, education, etc. It's not surprising they'll have a lot of mutual friends.

BaiSoSo 08-20-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 2247448)
None of this would be happening however without the Sussexes themselves being perceived as so preachy & woke. Nobody likes being lectured to. "Do as I say & not as I do" will not endear them to the British public.

Without the climate posturing et al there would be no criticism of the Sussexes use of private planes except for the usual grumblings about how the other half lives.

An earlier comment referred to HM using Sir Donald Gosling's yacht in an attempt to draw an equivalence between her & the Sussexes. Sir Donald is a Vice Admiral in the Royal Naval Reserve, he is most emphatically not a celebrity.

Sir Elton John's comments, along with those of other celebritis, are pouring oil on troubled waters.

Hopefully the Sussexes will now get on with their royal duties with a minimum of fuss. A masterclass from the Princess Royal or the Gloucesters might not come amiss!

Not true they would just find something else to complain about. Like the Vouge magazine that sent some over the edge even though Charles has co-edited a magazine and several royal women have on the cover of that exact magazine.

I don't get the celebrity issue either what they aren't able to have friends (most of whom both have known a while) because they have public facing careers?

tommy100 08-20-2019 07:24 PM

I do think more people are criticising them than the usual constant moaners and that is because they feel there is an issue here. Again I would say people are having more of a moan at Harry than Meghan.

Charles got raked over coals for flying to NY to collect an environment award and for taking a private jet on a tour of the South Americas that had an environmental focus so I don't see a double standard in the reporting of this issue. It seems pretty clear if you are a member of the RF talking about the environment the next time you take a private jet you should expect a fuss. Again this is more a case of poor PR work IMO than H&M doing anything wrong.

I remember Princess Anne being asked about the environment once and she said something along the lines of we all need to try and be a little greener but we all lead busy lives so it can be hard. Something about the tone made it clear she knew it was tricky for everyone to do and so there was nothing to disagree with really, it just seemed less high handed and more down to earth. In some of the most recent "issues" it has clearly been a case of either being wrongly interpreted or poor presentation. Either way I hope lessons are learnt - on all sides.

gerry 08-20-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2247472)
I do think more people are criticising them than the usual constant moaners and that is because they feel there is an issue here. Again I would say people are having more of a moan at Harry than Meghan.

Charles got raked over coals for flying to NY to collect an environment award and for taking a private jet on a tour of the South Americas that had an environmental focus so I don't see a double standard in the reporting of this issue. It seems pretty clear if you are a member of the RF talking about the environment the next time you take a private jet you should expect a fuss. Again this is more a case of poor PR work IMO than H&M doing anything wrong.

I remember Princess Anne being asked about the environment once and she said something along the lines of we all need to try and be a little greener but we all lead busy lives so it can be hard. Something about the tone made it clear she knew it was tricky for everyone to do and so there was nothing to disagree with really, it just seemed less high handed and more down to earth. In some of the most recent "issues" it has clearly been a case of either being wrongly interpreted or poor presentation. Either way I hope lessons are learnt - on all sides.

I am enjoying the controversy and general kerfuffle about the Sussex sojourn in the South of France! Clearly, the general public and those on this Forum are thinking about climate change and its consequences so that this awareness in itself is already a victory for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. That they are being tarred and feathered for their use of a private plane is immaterial although unkind; dear Sir Elton means so very well and he has paid his dues to the environment: he says so himself! :lol: The other celebrities that are coming out of the woodwork to 'support the Duke and Duchess' are of course entertaining and totally irrelevant. What is important is that the point has been made and we can all go back to tracking Greta Thunberg's progress on Malizia II https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/
and admire Greta and her father's stamina in travelling without a carbon footprint while cheerfully booking our own holidays in a horse drawn camper:lol:

Osipi 08-20-2019 10:51 PM

:previous: Good thoughts. Every time I see a empty plastic bottle, I keep hoping its a magic one and when I twist it, it turns into a pair of Rothys' shoes. No luck on that yet.

Even I know that my life would be impossible without leaving some carbon footprints or using things bad for our environment such as a plastic straw at a fast food restaurant or a styrofoam container to take left overs home in. I do what I can such as recycle everything plastic, glass and aluminum. I do what I can where I can. If I can't go 100% green, how can I expect anyone else to?

I think its the same for Harry and Meghan. There are going to be times where there is no "greener" option to take. If we're talking about the private plane trip, wouldn't taking a commercial flight the same distance leave the same amount of a carbon footprint? In our world, flight is a necessity and especially for working royals that have daily planners already filled in for months ahead.

JR76 08-20-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2247505)
If we're talking about the private plane trip, wouldn't taking a commercial flight the same distance leave the same amount of a carbon footprint? In our world, flight is a necessity and especially for working royals that have daily planners already filled in for months ahead.

If you fly commercially the carbon footprint is shared by all those aboard the plane meaning that your individual footprint is much smaller than if you fly private. There are of course a difference in the size of footprints because of for instance the size of the planes, but in general flying commercially means a smaller one.

Duke of Marmalade 08-21-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2247455)
Exactly. Charity functions and fundraisers seem to be one of the "key" organisations/places where one can mix in with royalty and famous faces, so it's only natural that if they're supporting the same charity, royals will cross paths with celebrities and they'll get chatting and become close. Elsewhere, royals and celebrities will also tend to mix in the same circles via parties, education, etc. It's not surprising they'll have a lot of mutual friends.


There is a difference: royals are always invited because of their function or their official role, they represent, and not because they are successful or knowledgeable about environment etc as private citizens or celebrities who have dedicated themselves to the subject (a la Leo Di Caprio).

And I doubt Pink etc understand the concept of royalty and how it is perceived in the UK.

Somebody 08-21-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2247499)
What is important is that the point has been made and we can all go back to tracking Greta Thunberg's progress on Malizia II https://tracker.borisherrmannracing.com/
and admire Greta and her father's stamina in travelling without a carbon footprint while cheerfully booking our own holidays in a horse drawn camper:lol:

See Pierre Casiraghi's family topic on this issue; as, unfortunately, Greta's trip causes more pollution than if she had travelled by plane. Now the crews fly in and out of the States (from Europe) to make all of this possible. That's a lot more people than the two seats that Greta and her father had taken up in a regular flight to the States.

Although I fully agree that at least all of this inconsistency got people talking about the importance of preserving the environment :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalriada (Post 2247642)
Its not very helpful in the long term for Megs to involve her best friends in a royal debacle. So it would appear to sadly (remember the friends’ magazine disclosures) that Meghan is authorising her closest friend and celebrity Jessica Mulroney to label all her critics on her and her spouse’s eco-credentials as “racists”
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Z82qCF...d=9xg0e0x163r1

I agree. This is very unhelpful. I don't see how labelling all critics 'racists' is going to help in any way. While the criticism of some has racial undertones (or is outright racist); that doesn't mean that the criticism in general is racist.

I would hope that Meghan and Harry do pay attention to what is being said (of course not by reading every single detail but keeping track of the larger public opinion) and take it into account instead of putting it away as 'racist'; as that would almost guarantee that they will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Friends confirming that all of this is just 'racist' is not helpful at all - although I somewhat understand how hard it must be for friends to not be able to 'protect' your friend against what you perceive to be unfair criticism.

HighGoalHighDreams 08-21-2019 07:04 PM

I am saddened to see that a woman Meghan chose to highlight is using this connection as clickbait to generate views and followers by dropping Meghan's name into obviously nonsensical rants. One month ago no one would have cared what Jameela Jamil had to say about the Sussexes, but because people perceive Meghan to have a connection and form of closeness to these women, people are flocking to read her rants, and I believe Jameela was fully aware of that and is shamelessly exploiting it.

The only alternative is that Jameela sincerely believes that it is dangerous for us normal muppets to be in proximity due members of The Royal Family due to roaming assassins.

JessRulz 08-22-2019 06:38 AM

Posts relating to Meghan's latest work with SmartWorks have been moved to her patronage thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ges-46004.html

Kataryn 08-23-2019 07:00 AM

Just want to point out this very interesting commentary by the Guardian which deals with the carbon footprint Meghan and Harry left while flying private planes. Especially as it was published at the Guardian!
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...green-politics

Fijiro 08-23-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 2248041)
Just want to point out this very interesting commentary by the Guardian which deals with the carbon footprint Meghan and Harry left while flying private planes. Especially as it was published at the Guardian!
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...green-politics

Indeed very interesting commentary. ...

Alisa 08-23-2019 04:25 PM

When is the couple expected to be at Balmoral?

Dman 08-23-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alisa (Post 2248142)
When is the couple expected to be at Balmoral?

Soon, I would guess.

Rudolph 08-23-2019 05:31 PM

If they even go. They weren’t there last year. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Harry up at Balmoral.

Dman 08-23-2019 05:41 PM

It would be great if they went around the time of the Braemar Highland Games. The young royals don’t tend to go. So it would be nice to see them there.

Osipi 08-23-2019 09:05 PM

The times that the royals spend at Sandringham or Balmoral are on their private time and unless they're "spotted" at Aberdeen airport or on a Sunday attending church with the Queen, the public is not informed of their plans. We know the Sussexes are very, very good at traveling under the radar so they could have been to Balmoral and back home again already. :biggrin:

I'll be happy when the silly season is over and we get to the meat and potatoes of what Harry and Meghan do. Their public roles. We've a lot to look forward to with the opening of the Sussex foundation and their tour to Africa.

...

For me, this is the whole shebang of the young royals and their families wanting their privacy. Freedom to go and do as they please on their own downtime without every detail being splashed all over the public domain. I think the Queen and Philip and Charles and Camilla have come to realize that the Balmoral estate is a place where they can breathe the easiest and just enjoy their downtime in peace and quiet. I also believe this is the underlining reason that the Sussex family chose to live in Windsor Home Park at Frogmore Cottage.

Perhaps for us, this concept of being left alone isn't something that is worth its weight in gold as I imagine the majority of us could slip on a coat over our jammies and go to the nearest store for a gallon of milk and no one would blink an eye or even notice us. Even with bedhead. If we put ourselves in the position that Harry and Meghan are in, we'd have to be sure to dress nice, have hair and makeup just right and be prepared for cell phone cameras out and at the ready for every little detail right down to the brand of milk we bought. Would that gallon of milk be worth it? I'd think twice about it. :biggrin:

JessRulz 08-23-2019 10:32 PM

The most recent discussion regarding what the Sussexes could do to improve things / help themselves / going forward has been moved the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ies-46316.html thread. Please continue that line of discussion there.

Thankyou to everyone for holding the discussion in such a reasonable way, with few deleted posts and comments.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises