The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/general-news-about-the-sussex-family-part-one-may-2019-march-2020-a-46407.html)

O-H Anglophile 03-27-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2303981)
The duke and duchess were in Canada for six months; this is the maximum stay allowed for visitors to the country. Clearly the decision was taken to not give them preferential treatment in granting either diplomatic status or a ministerial residential permit. The duchess retains her American citizenship so that a move to the United States is a simple solution to their residential problems and I imagine her husband is eligible for a residency visa. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what American procedure is in this case: American TRF members chime in please!

If indeed the Sussexes have moved to the U.S., I imagine a big factor was the question of residency in Canada.
There is no problem in Meghan living in the U.S. and there is no question about their marriage, so it really wouldn't be an issue for Harry to get permanent residency. He doesn't have to become a citizen.

There isn't anything controversial here at all.

ACO 03-27-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2303981)
The duke and duchess were in Canada for six months; this is the maximum stay allowed for visitors to the country. Clearly the decision was taken to not give them preferential treatment in granting either diplomatic status or a ministerial residential permit. The duchess retains her American citizenship so that a move to the United States is a simple solution to their residential problems and I imagine her husband is eligible for a residency visa. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what American procedure is in this case: American TRF members chime in please!

This is a very accurate point. Their time was up. It was either return to the UK or go to the US where Meghan and Archie are also citizens. Though to be fair we have no idea where they are but I am sure we will have confirmation sooner or later.

Frankly I don't fault them for being with family during this. Doria has no one. The Windsors are all spread out themselves. Harry and Meghan were in Canada. As for Harry's being in the US? He is married to a citizen. He can apply for residency.

Curbside 03-27-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2303982)
It might not be that easy.. for the spouse of an American citizen to get citizenship. and this has been discussed before but to get American citizenship Harry wuodl have to renounce all foreign allegiances. Wherever they live, at present, working is notgoing to be easy....

He doesn't have to become a citizen. He can be a permanent resident. In any event, the US doesn't require new citizens to renounce all other allegiances any longer.

I think they will be fine. They aren't in the same situation as Fergie when she divorced Andrew. Meghan has a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the US. She managed to succeed in a profession that most people fail at, even as people try to belittle her work on Suits, it's important to remember that she worked to get a foot in the door for ten years before she landed that role. She's intelligent and hard working, and is used to surviving on her own.

Meghan has a support system in LA. She knows the area and people will be accepting of Harry.

Denville 03-27-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2303995)
He doesn't have to become a citizen. He can be a permanent resident. In any event, the US doesn't require new citizens to renounce all other allegiances any longer.

really? Because that was not what I have read on this forum about becoming an Americna citizen. Would Harry meet the criteria for becoming permanent resident or is it just necessary to be married to a citizen

Claricecolin 03-27-2020 12:36 PM

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

As the spouse of a U.S. Citizen, Harry can get a green card. He doesn't have to become a citizen. Info is in the website above.

Denville 03-27-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claricecolin (Post 2304004)
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

As the spouse of a U.S. Citizen, Harry can get a green card. He doesn't have to become a citizen. Info is in the website above.

But isn't that just eligbility to apply? YOu still have to meet criteria to get the card? But I suppose they have enough money to support themselves.

ACO 03-27-2020 01:44 PM

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/megha...site%20buttons

Meghan and Harry have seemed to have made their first big hire for their new Non Profit. They have all the time in the world now to plan this out.

I will also guess next week we will get the new name of their non profit and their social media will be updated to remove Sussex Royal.

Claricecolin 03-27-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2304015)
But isn't that just eligbility to apply? YOu still have to meet criteria to get the card? But I suppose they have enough money to support themselves.

After reading eligibility rules, unless Harry has a criminal past or was previously deported (which he hasn't) he is fine. They meet the financial requirements. Some seem to forget Meghan has her own money (to sponsor him) Harry also has money. He doesn't need to become a citizen.

Timing not ideal, but again how do you plan for a pandemic? If there was a time limit for his long they could stay in Canada, then there were only 2 places for them to legally settle. They are probably in a compound or gated community similar to Princess Madeline of Sweden.

yvr girl 03-27-2020 05:41 PM

There are not very many countries they could even travel to at this point. Most countries have closed their borders to pleasure travelers.

Countessmeout 03-28-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2303981)
The duke and duchess were in Canada for six months; this is the maximum stay allowed for visitors to the country. Clearly the decision was taken to not give them preferential treatment in granting either diplomatic status or a ministerial residential permit. The duchess retains her American citizenship so that a move to the United States is a simple solution to their residential problems and I imagine her husband is eligible for a residency visa. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what American procedure is in this case: American TRF members chime in please!

Technically they have been there for four months or so. They went late November for Thanksgiving. They would have until the end of May if they had been consistently in Canada all of that time.

Technically every time they left Canada, their stay officially ended. If Archie indeed went with them back recently in March, they re-started that count.

Harry and Meghan could easily get working Visas to remain in Canada. If they took positions with a Canadian company (they would be good brand sponsors) the company would simply need to apply for a visa for them. Visas for citizens of commonwealth countries are usually quicker.

poppy7 03-28-2020 06:47 AM

So they are off to America. Strange timing.

Denville 03-28-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2304146)
Technically they have been there for four months or so. They went late November for Thanksgiving. They would have until the end of May if they had been consistently in Canada all of that time.

Technically every time they left Canada, their stay officially ended. If Archie indeed went with them back recently in March, they re-started that count.

Harry and Meghan could easily get working Visas to remain in Canada. If they took positions with a Canadian company (they would be good brand sponsors) the company would simply need to apply for a visa for them. Visas for citizens of commonwealth countries are usually quicker.

In the present climate there are not going to be jobs for anyone.. so they wont be getting visas on that basis. Probalby if they don't want to got the UK or US, the Canadian govt will make some arrangement.. but I don't think they wil pay for security any longr.

Panther2000 03-28-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2303873)
LA is probably the best option for the Sussexes. I have no trouble believing that this would be true.

Same Here, I have no problem with them moving back here to the states. Here mother is closer by ( at least Meghan will have some family support close by). Here Archie and any future children will fit in better( Yes, America is still Racist AF, ) but, we at least don't have media comparing Black children or Children of color to Chimps.

I still worry about their security when they do go out and about when all this Virus stuff is over.

I am happy if they do Move here to america or if they stay in Canada. Just as they as they are happy together.

Panther2000 03-28-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2303982)
It might not be that easy.. for the spouse of an American citizen to get citizenship. and this has been discussed before but to get American citizenship Harry wuodl have to renounce all foreign allegiances. Wherever they live, at present, working is notgoing to be easy....


Harry will apply nor want, citizenship. He can be a Permanent Resident. He is married to an American Citizen. You an be a Resident without ever applying for citizenship.

Not to mention that he will have some Diplomatic rights. People behind the scenes will be looking out for him. And at the end of the day. Once all of this Virus stuff slows down and stop. They still can go back & forth.

eya 03-28-2020 02:36 PM

"Harry and Meghan have left Canada to set up permanent residence in LA.

The young family will set up a new home close to Hollywood where they will be closer to Meghan’s mother Doria.

They took a private flight to California before the borders between Canada and the US closed"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243950789204246529

Denville 03-28-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther2000 (Post 2304212)
Harry will apply nor want, citizenship. He can be a Permanent Resident. He is married to an American Citizen. You an be a Resident without ever applying for citizenship.

Not to mention that he will have some Diplomatic rights. People behind the scenes will be looking out for him. And at the end of the day. Once all of this Virus stuff slows down and stop. They still can go back & forth.

What diplomatic rights? He's not a diplomat and he's not working for the RF any more. It may be a heck of a long time before the "virus slows down". I wish it were otherwise, but I don't tihnk things are going to be back to normal for at least several months.

Jacknch 03-28-2020 02:45 PM

Please note that this thread has been cleaned up with a number of posts deleted. Those posts that remain have: A) not ignored the previous Mod note; B) have not attempted to re-hashed pointless discussions we have heard umpteen times before, and C) have not contained back and forth bickering that distract other members from reading about General News concerning the Sussex's.

Further posts containing bickering, point-scoring or apparent attempts to have the last word at any cost will be similarly deleted.

Duchess of Wakanda 03-28-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2304156)
In the present climate there are not going to be jobs for anyone.. so they wont be getting visas on that basis. Probalby if they don't want to got the UK or US, the Canadian govt will make some arrangement.. but I don't think they wil pay for security any longr.

There won't be jobs for regular people, but the entertainment and king/rainmaker industry is going to be fine, and that is likely what Meghan and Harry are going to be focused on.

UglyAmerican 03-29-2020 07:34 AM

A bit about US spousal immigration
 
It's true that Meghan is a US citizen, and that as the spouse of a citizen, Harry is eligible for a green card. However, the process of acquiring it is going to present serious practical problems, and would have done so already had they not either lied or received preferential treatment.

Brits, like most other Europeans and a few other nationalities, can be admitted as visitors without any kind of visa under normal circumstances (which is not what's happening currently). However, a key criteria for being a visitor is that they can't intend to settle permanently in the US, or to work there. Immigration agents at the airport question all foreigners about the purpose of the trip, and someone not in possession of a green card or work permit who says "I'm moving here to be with my US-citizen wife and work to support ourselves" won't be allowed in. That's because they can't intend to be both an immigrant and a non-immigrant at the same time, they don't have the proper visa to be an immigrant, and they've just declared themself ineligible for entry as a visitor. I know a Brit who had that exact thing happen to her - she was refused entry and put back on the next plane to the UK. Even if Harry did manage to get in as a tourist, he wouldn't be allowed to work until he adjusted his status to either a marriage-based green card or some other kind of work visa, the latter being not at all realistic unless he's trading on his royal connections.

So maybe they (or just Harry) lied at the airport or border crossing, maybe he entered on whatever diplomatic credentials haven't expired yet (IIRC the 31st was the deadline, but I don't remember where I saw that), or maybe the immigration agent gave them special treatment. Regardless, his next step should be to apply for a green card, because absent significant special treatment, he can't just jet back and forth at will on visitor status while being married to an American and actually living in the US. (That's optimistically assuming the two countries resume nonessential tourist traffic in the near future, which they may not.) Applying for a green card from within the US has a lengthy wait time - a year or more in ordinary times, and God only knows how long under current circumstances with the pandemic. Harry effectively can't leave the US while he's waiting, because he won't be allowed back in for the same reason he wouldn't/shouldn't have been allowed in as a tourist. Assuming, of course, there's no special treatment.

Alternatively, they could have tried to do this through a US consular facility in Canada during their time there, so it's theoretically possible Harry could have already had an immigrant visa in-hand upon arrival in the US. This involves a fair amount of document-chasing and crowded-line-standing, and the couple would have to appear in person at the consulate, so I think it's unlikely that they wouldn't have been spotted and photographed. They've only been there for a few months, which is too short a time frame, and if they left Canada midway through the process, Harry shouldn't have been allowed to enter the US at all. If that's what they did, then they received enormous preferential treatment.

TL;DR: American spousal immigration rules are pretty terrible, and usually mean that a couple in this situation has to spend a year or more apart if the American spouse is determined to live in the US during that time. If Harry and Meghan manage to avoid that, it's reasonable to assume that they're either breaking the rules, being given special treatment, or both.

Hallo girl 03-29-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Wakanda (Post 2304290)
There won't be jobs for regular people, but the entertainment and king/rainmaker industry is going to be fine, and that is likely what Meghan and Harry are going to be focused on.

You are correct, there will be a shortage of jobs for the people, but Meghan and Harry will be fine, even if they do not find work, they are not worrying about the rent or the next meal.

People in the UK very rarely even mention them now, there are too many important things going on. They are well down the pecking order of interest.

It lets you see how unimportant celebrity is, and how quickly the interest falls away.
One thing that might effect them going forward is the cost of security.
We are bring back retired police, special constables all to provide security.
The people in the UK are going to be paying for the effect of the virus for years through taxes etc, any money going to the sussexs might be a problem. As the say on here bad for the optics. They are contributing nothing to the UK at the moment.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises