Welcome to Part 1 of the thread for the Current Events of Empress Masako!
The old thread can be found here:
** Crown Princess Masako Current Events Part 1: July 2005 - April 2019 **
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs
· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.
:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:
Empress Masako turns 56 on December 9
Written responses for 56th birthday - IHA (Google translation)
- Gratitude for Emperor Naruhito, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko.
- Gratitude for the public for their warm welcome.
- Happiness she was able to participate in succession events and they concluded as scheduled.
- Sadness, condolences and concerns about victims and damage from Typhoon No. 19, natural disasters in Japan and globally, recent death of Dr. Tetsu Nakamura in Afghanistan, many environmental problems such as plastic waste, problems such as poverty and child abuse in Japan, and ongoing conflicts and civil wars in the world.
- Mentions joyful events such as 2019 Rugby World Cup, Akira Yoshino winning the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Next year's Olympics and Paralympics will be another opportunity for international exchange.
- Hopes Princess Aiko will cherish her last year of high school to the fullest, wishing her new experiences and learning while valuing gratitude and compassion.
The birthday schedule includes the usual congratulatory events, 1:30pm visit to Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko, and 7pm family dinner at Akasaka Imperial residence with Princess Aiko, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko, Crown Prince Akishino family, and Kuroda couple.
Press release from Her Majesty's medical team - IHA (Google translation)
- Masako's activities have expanded and her condition is steadily improving: 4 regional visits, focus on succession ceremonies, and events such as the annual Japanese Red Cross meeting, US state visit, French official visit, etc.
- She remains under medical treatment. Fatigue happens after big/long/consecutive events. Excessive expectations are counterproductive.
- Expansion of private activities is important for recovery.
Photos and video taken on December 3: Asahi gallery
Why does she have to visit the emperor and empress emeriti instead of having them visiting the current empress on her birthday? Is that because they are older and therefore require the current empress to still esteem them higher?
How lovely that her sister-in-law and brother-in-law continue to be included in the family dinner; I am always pleased to see that although Sayako is no longer a member of the imperial family, she still is part of these kinds of family events (as will apply to Aiko as well when she marries - unless things change).
:previous: Yes, most likely it's the "respect the elders" custom. Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko, Prince Hisahito, Princess Mako, and Princess Aiko all visited Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace on their birthdays to greet Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko. I assume the greetings will continue when the retired Imperial couple move to Takanawa residence and then finally to Sento Imperial Palace (currently named Akasaka Imperial residence, formerly Togu Palace aka Crown Prince's Residence).
On December 9th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako entered the Imperial Palace around 11am for the empress' birthday celebrations. Some events were changed and others will be held at Akasaka Imperial residence to reduce the burden on the empress.
Empress Masako's birthday schedule
11:10, 11:20, 11:40, 11:50am : greetings from IHA staff, IHA police, members of government, Imperial family, relatives at Imperial Palace
12-12:50pm : lunch
1:30pm : greet Emperor Emeritus Akihito & Empress Emerita Michiko at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace
2:20, 2:30pm: greetings from IHA staff, former IHA staff, and former IHA police
6pm : greetings from IHA staff (Chamberlains?) at Akasaka Imperial residence
6:30pm : greetings from minors (Aiko & Hisahito)
7pm: dinner with Aiko, retired Imperial couple, Akishino family, Kuroda couple
Photos: AP Images, Getty Images, Asahi
Japan Empress Masako turns 56, vows to move forward with support of people - Kyodo News
Masako looks lovely. It's so nice to see her being able to fulfill so many of her responsibilities, and I hope that her condition will continue to improve. I hope that the public will be understanding of the changes in schedule and appearances that may be necessary over time.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020