The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/duke-and-duchess-of-sussex-future-duties-roles-and-responsibilities-46316.html)

soapstar 04-09-2019 07:08 PM

Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

https://i66.tinypic.com/og9nvd.pnghttps://i64.tinypic.com/9hsaiq.png
Coat of Arms of TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Welcome to the thread to discuss the Future Duties and Responsiblities of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Please note that all posts relating to the Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be posted in the appropriate thread.

CTchic 04-20-2019 05:56 PM

IMO this is not a good idea and I also don't think this is the Sussexes plan

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...303229440?s=19

ACO 04-20-2019 05:59 PM

Meghan is applying to be a citizen. How can she move to Africa for 3 years? Also why is William’s private secretary involved in this? This is just dumb but fascinating that it was leaked.

CTchic 04-20-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2212866)
Meghan is applying to be a citizen. How can she move to Africa for 3 years? Also why is Williamís private secretary involved in this? This is just dumb but fascinating that it was leaked.

My thoughts exactly. She has her citizenship application, they just remodeled Frogmore Cottage and her patronages. I don't think this is any of the Sussexes doing as they don't have any permanent staff to discuss this. Why are William's staff so involved? 🤔

MARG 04-20-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2212858)
That was something I was kinda concerned with at the beginning of the relationship ...but when I saw the various videos of her talking about issues and how inclusive she was of men (she's not a rabid anti-man feminist) then I wasn't concerned with it any longer...and nothing has come up at her various engagements that is out of line.

LaRae

She's feminist like the Duchess of Cornwall, CP Mary is or Queen Maxima at the UN, supporting unexciting real-life problems. Really it seems more about equal opportunity for women and girls than "burning your bra type rabid feminist a la Germaine Greer in her heyday.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTchic (Post 2212865)
IMO this is not a good idea and I also don't think this is the Sussexes plan

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...303229440?s=19

Help, I can't open the link.

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 06:14 PM

This sounds like one of those stories concocted to ferret out loose lips.

CTchic 04-20-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2212870)
This sounds like one of those stories concocted to ferret out loose lips.

It is from The Sunday Times from Roya Nikkhah. This writer has a direct line to KP so make of that what you will.

andi 04-20-2019 06:23 PM

Meghan's citizenship status makes moving abroad impractical.

CTchic 04-20-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andi (Post 2212872)
Meghan's citizenship status makes moving abroad impractical.

I agree. This makes no sense and like I said, i don't think this the Sussexes idea.

JuliannaVictoria 04-20-2019 06:43 PM

I have so many questions and concerns about this article, but I'm trying to me kind right now. Instead of stating that the OPTICS of this piece by Roya Nikkah is not a good one for either her or KP or William.

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria (Post 2212877)
I have so many questions and concerns about this article, but I'm trying to me kind right now. Instead of stating that the OPTICS of this piece by Roya Nikkah is not a good one for either her or KP or William.

Doesnít the article say this ďplanĒ originated with Sir David Manning and the Queenís former private secretary Lord Christopher Geidt?

Ista 04-20-2019 06:50 PM

Hmm. Well, I can see why Harry and Meghan might like to get away and carve out a bit of a life for themselves without living in a fishbowl, and I can see where royal advisors might like to harness H and M's energy and charisma, but I'm having a hard time taking this proposal seriously. If this were a serious proposal, wouldn't it be coming from BP rather than KP?

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 06:55 PM

Unless they fast track Meghan’s citizenship not practical.

ACO 04-20-2019 06:58 PM

It doesn’t even sound like it’s from the Sussexes from the article. It’s full of the courtiers, David Manning and Simon Case. Umm... fascinating.

And again, Meghan is applying for citizenship.

Ista 04-20-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2212882)
Unless they fast track Meghan’s citizenship not practical, aside from the unfortunate optics.

I agree, unless this is something that Harry and Meghan have proposed and would like to do, which I could understand. There's still the citizenship issue, but I suppose that could be solved.

jacqui24 04-20-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2212878)
Doesnít the article say this ďplanĒ originated with Sir David Manning and the Queenís former private secretary Lord Christopher Geidt?

Sir David Manning was part of KP. Lord Geidt has been part of the discussion according to the article, but itís apparently Simon Case who is pivotal. Iím not sure why is Williamís Private Secretary so up in the Sussex business. Itís not even KP business anymore.

andi 04-20-2019 06:59 PM

Calling the plan the "African scheme" was not an ideal phrasing. Bad optics.

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 07:03 PM

Easter at Windsor could be fascinating tomorrow.

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2212886)
Sir David Manning was part of KP. Lord Geidt has been part of the discussion according to the article, but itís apparently Simon Case who is pivotal. Iím not sure why is Williamís Private Secretary so up in the Sussex business. Itís not even KP business anymore.

Especially as Case hasnít even had that job for even a year.

Marlo 04-20-2019 07:13 PM

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...rift-j3cft5d3d

Quote:

Inside the rift between Harry and Meghan and the future king and queen

Courtiers are concerned by the gulf between Harry and Meghan’s modern ways and those of the future king and queen. Would a spell abroad for the Sussexes suit William and Kate?
That article makes William look bad.

Curryong 04-20-2019 07:14 PM

Moving two people out who have become a 'problem', sucking up too much RF oxygen in the media?

Ista 04-20-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlo (Post 2212890)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...rift-j3cft5d3d

That article makes William look bad.

It's behind a paywall. Anyone want to take a stab at summarizing the high points?

Countessmeout 04-20-2019 07:19 PM

I am sorry but this story seems to be one of those dreamed up by the people who wish to have Harry and Meghan disappear into the wood work. Royal Nika is not always right, and I love when certain royal writers are taken as word.

Yes there have been royals who have gone abroad to live in the past. But that was back in the days when they would serve as governor general. And was to realms where the queen/king was the monarch as well. Like Canada.

They didn't just spend millions refurbishing a house not to use it. And if they were going to move abroad, it would be to one of the queen's realms.

Then there is the whole citizenship issue as well with Meghan.

There is always a small hint of truth. They likely, as most of us have already speculated, will be spending more and more time abroad. Like Edward and Sophie have been before, Harry and Meghan will likely become the British face on the foreign circle. Between the commonwealth trust and the ACU, they already have foreign roles carved out for them.

The idea the 'feud' will drive them to flee the continent is laughable :lol:

Dman 04-20-2019 07:24 PM

If anything, the Sussexes likely officially tour Africa, but moving there donít seem possible.

The constant narrative of a ďriftĒ between these couples is also fueling the rumors against, Meghan. Iíve always said that some royal watchers feel like thereís not enough room for these two couples in Buckingham Palace. What I find disappointing is that their officials have done little to nothing to stomp out the rumors.

jacqui24 04-20-2019 07:54 PM

I swear, royal watching has led me to see some of the weirdest things people can consider as a “problem”.

Quote:

Insiders knew something was needed to keep the couple’s interest. “The problem with these two is that they want to do, rather than to be,” said a source relaying the views of palace officials.

Pranter 04-20-2019 08:11 PM

None of this rings true...are you guys really buying into this?

LaRae

Osipi 04-20-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2212910)

LaRae

I'm not. Personally I think if all of the BRF sits down to an Easter feast at Windsor Castle tomorrow, it'd be something they'd be joking about and ribbing each other about.

I don't see William having a problem at all with either Harry or Meghan but as their roles are changing, they'll be going in different directions. One just has to look at all the success that Harry and Meghan have had in under a year to realize that the people that would appreciate it the most and value their worth within the "Firm" would be the other royals that work for the "Firm". Its not a competition at all but a team working together.

That's how I see it anyways. :biggrin:

Pranter 04-20-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2212912)
I'm not. Personally I think if all of the BRF sits down to an Easter feast at Windsor Castle tomorrow, it'd be something they'd be joking about and ribbing each other about.

I don't see William having a problem at all with either Harry or Meghan but as their roles are changing, they'll be going in different directions. One just has to look at all the success that Harry and Meghan have had in under a year to realize that the people that would appreciate it the most and value their worth within the "Firm" would be the other royals that work for the "Firm". Its not a competition at all but a team working together.

That's how I see it anyways. :biggrin:

None of it makes sense. She's in the middle of becoming a UK citizen...they just did this huge and expensive remodel for a home...fixing to have a baby...it all smacks of the same thing we've seen the media do between the family members for decades...create these rivalries and animosity.

Starting to see comments that the Cambridges won't be at Windsor tomorrow ..and if they aren't you know folks are going to say see...this is why.

I think it is silly town right now.

LaRae

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 08:45 PM

The Sun has jumped onboard---

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/890720...l-baby-africa/

andi 04-20-2019 08:48 PM

The only thing I'll hesitantly believe is couriers had discussions about Harry & Meghan working abroad. Other than that, one of the article's sources claims members of the royal family think Meghan wants to run for POTUS, which tells me these 'sources' are delusional

JuliannaVictoria 04-20-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andi (Post 2212920)
The only thing I'll hesitantly believe is couriers had discussions about Harry & Meghan working abroad. Other than that, one of the article's sources claims members of the royal family think Meghan wants to run for POTUS, which tells me these 'sources' are delusional

We already knew that they were going to spend a lot of time abroad working for the Commonwealth, but what the article is talking about is basically sending them off somewhere on a somewhat permanent basis to harness their power of popularity for the U.K., but also dimming their presence in the U.K. (out of sight, out of mind mentality).

This also tells me that some of the courtiers if this is true (who knows, Roya does have sources) are so out of touch. SM anyone...?

Osipi 04-20-2019 09:23 PM

All I can say is that these stories and rumors and gossip about feuding and discontent, backstabbing and the behind the scenes machinations against each other to come out on top reminds me more of a beauty queen pageant scene than it does a family dedicated to working for the good of the monarchy.

The "ship the Sussex family off abroad" scenario sounds like it was heisted from the "what to do with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor" during WWII to keep the man from causing mayhem. He became the Governor General of the Bahamas keeping him away from the battleground that was to be Europe at the time.

Think I'm going to start a vigil looking for the Easter Bunny to hop on by. A quest for chocolate is a far more pleasant past time than dwelling on infighting within the BRF. :biggrin:

Curryong 04-20-2019 09:30 PM

I do believe that senior advisers at KP, BP and possibly CH have been viewing the Sussex phenomenon (both positive and negative) with concern since the wedding. There was perhaps a hope that with the splitting of the Households (which effectively shuffled Harry and Meghan off to BP,) that the emphasis and focus of the media would shift, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I bet they wish it was back in the 1940s and Harry could be offered a GG role in Australia or Canada, leaving the limelight on the Cambridges in the UK. Impossible now!

King of the Jungle 04-20-2019 09:46 PM

If Harry and Meghan were to work abroad for more months of each year - under the umbrella of working for the Commonwealth or an African charity - I think it would be at their own suggestion. It could be exciting and worthwhile work. Media would love it.
I don't beleive the brothers don't get along but they have forged their own paths and their own families, like grown ups do.

O-H Anglophile 04-20-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2212931)
I do believe that senior advisers at KP, BP and possibly CH have been viewing the Sussex phenomenon (both positive and negative) with concern since the wedding. There was perhaps a hope that with the splitting of the Households (which effectively shuffled Harry and Meghan off to BP,) that the emphasis and focus of the media would shift, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I bet they wish it was back in the 1940s and Harry could be offered a GG role in Australia or Canada, leaving the limelight on the Cambridges in the UK. Impossible now!

Why would the focus of the media change? William and family are relatively boring and do not bring much attention to themselves, so not much to write about. Meghan is new and is exciting just by being different and unexpected in a number of ways. Add to that the rivalry stories, which have been a RR staple for years and years, and cha-ching$

Dman 04-20-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

LaRae

Nope, but these palace officials haven’t done much of anything to stop these terrible rumors from snowballing. Such a sad thing for a pregnant woman to have to go through.

Fijiro 04-20-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2212892)
It's behind a paywall. Anyone want to take a stab at summarizing the high points?

here is the article
https://pagesix.com/2019/04/20/palac...han-to-africa/

JuliannaVictoria 04-20-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fijiro (Post 2212942)

That's a mere summary of the 1st article. The 2nd article puts everything into perspective.

Ista 04-20-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fijiro (Post 2212942)

Thank you for posting that.

sndral 04-21-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2212928)
The "ship the Sussex family off abroad" scenario sounds like it was heisted from the "what to do with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor" during WWII to keep the man from causing mayhem. He became the Governor General of the Bahamas keeping him away from the battleground that was to be Europe at the time.

Interesting parallel, sending the Windsors to the Bahamas for the duration of the war happened for several reasons, not least of which was that the Duke was behaving in a way that was hindering the war effort. Refusing to recognize the Duchess as an HRH resulted in the Windsors not living in the U.K., which suited King George VI and Queen Elizabeth as it assured that David, who had been immensely popular, did not eclipse his brother.
The difference now is that with the world wide reach of the press, you canít find a place far enough away to banish the Sussexes to, because wherever they go the press will be sure to follow. I donít believe the RF or their courtiers are naive enough to think they can diminish the attention the Sussexes get by sending them elsewhere. Rather, they are trying to come up with the best way to capitalize on the charismatic couple. I assumed when Meghan had her wedding veil embroidered with flowers from all of the commonwealth countries that they were sending a strong signal theyíd be heavily involved in cementing the ties within the commonwealth, a subject close to the Queenís heart.
Harry has always had more charisma than William. Harry, who actually served in a battle zone, who passionately and successfully advocated for his causes. William never seemed perturbed by Harryís success before, why would it change now?
Prince Andrew was once a dashing Falkland war hero and Princess Margaret was far more glamorous than her staid and careful sister, the Queen. They each had their moment in the sun, but ultimately, the steadfastness of the Queen has triumphed in the affections of her people. Likewise, I suspect, the Ďboring,í Ďpredictableí Cambridges will serve their subjects and the monarchy well.

Chloep 04-21-2019 12:57 AM

...It also remains to be interesting that in my opinion Kate and Meghan honestly don't seem to have any issues between them, but Harry hasn't been seen interacting with his brother at shared engagements since last November.

Sunnystar 04-21-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloep (Post 2212963)
It also remains to be interesting that Kate and Meghan don't seem to have any issues between them but Harry hasn't been seen interacting with his brother since last November.

Wasn't he just at the David Attenborough film premiere with Charles and William last month?

Chloep 04-21-2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnystar (Post 2212965)
Wasn't he just at the David Attenborough film premiere with Charles and William last month?

Yes, exactly and in my opinion, their lack of interaction was jarring in contrast to their past ways.

Something is clearly brewing behind KP's walls, I don't see how this is still undeniable. Even this very article just names entirely too many names for it to be completely fictitious...

Just to be clear, no I don't take this at face value. I am certain that Harry and his African American mixed race bride and their to be mixed race child won't be 'shipped of to Africa'. It is not possible for several reasons (for example, Meghan's citizenship application and Harry being Counsellors of State that requires him and spouse to live in the UK by law).

Dman 04-21-2019 01:23 AM

First of all, William is not the next King. He’s the future Prince of Wales and he and his wife is very popular. Harry and Meghan is also very popular and they all make up the new faces of the Monarchy.

The Queen is handing down lots of responsibility to the younger royals, so Harry and Meghan aren’t moving away to Africa. Now, they may do a tour and produce a project down there, but they’re not going to pack up and move so William can be satisfied.

The press is enjoying milking the rumor of a sour relationship between the two brothers. We can be made at them, but I think KP, CH and BP has handled all of this stuff wrong. The lack of effort to stop these rumors have helped the rumors gain a life of its own. They’ve allowed the narrative of the Royal Fab Four turn into the Royal Sour Four. None of this is good.

andi 04-21-2019 01:46 AM

All the commotion & concern from couriers about Harry's role seems excessive. Why can't he just focus on his patronages & projects like Princess Anne, Prince Andrew & Prince Edward? Harry's popularity should be seen as a positive for the firm and it shows that support for the monarchy is secure.

muriel 04-21-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 2212853)
What I was trying to say in my original post was we should go back to the way we posted before the advent of Meghan. Honest and comfortable, without fear or favour, disagreeing with some posts and totally endorsing others without OUR members reflecting the tension of 'outside", worrying if our post could be perceived as racism, sexism, trying to undermine Meghan, taking a swipe at Catherine.

Asking, no demanding, the source of a piece of information and utterly rejecting vague answers. We are better than that, or we used to be. Vegan? Oh please, rubbish from the net. Vegan paint? Good grief does it even exist? Non toxic and environmentally friendly, yes.

Is there a chance that we can just call it as we see it? Some of us have "known" each other for years just like Muriel knows I am unlikely to agree about where Meghan sourced her clothes being an issue and she is going to tell me why it is. We all have interactions like that, they are exactly what the seem. Can't we just continue to debate the issue without someone being over-sensitive?

Usually ugly stuff just oozes off the net. The fight of the Duchesses followed by the fight of the Dukes. We are too afraid to post it, laugh, demand a reputable source and call BS when none is forthcoming.

Very well put, and a thought I have expressed a view times before. The attraction of TRF was always a place where disparate views could be expressed and discussed in a respectful manner. We did not always agree, but we could agree to disagree in a civil and respectful manner. We increasingly have a situation here where contrarian views are really not appreciated, and some members often just do not bother posting as it does not seem worth the bother.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 02:40 AM

It makes no sense to "send" Harry and Meghan "somewhere in Africa", when they just moved to a newly renovated house, while Meghan is in the middle of applying a UK citizenship, and when clearly Meghan and Harry have long term plans with their UK and commonwealth patronages and charities. The Times article makes the courtiers sound and look really out of touch.

Lumutqueen 04-21-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

LaRae

I don't believe this story, but I do really like the idea. The Commonwealth is a huge part of the world, and it really should have long term representatives from the RF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2212937)
Nope, but these palace officials havenít done much of anything to stop these terrible rumors from snowballing. Such a sad thing for a pregnant woman to have to go through.

If the palace tried to get every rumour, they be at their desks 24/7. It's impossible. When the palace does respond to rumours, the big ones, it makes the response more credible because they don't do it all the time.

MARG 04-21-2019 04:24 AM

OK, I call BS on the article. Harry has worked hard to be seen as a serious worker. He has successfully carved out a place for himself and, trolls notwithstanding, Meghan has established herself as both a loving and supportive wife and a hard worker.

Their move to FC was always on the cards. Heavens, it was discussed as nauseum as to whether they would get Adelaide Cottage or York Cottage or . . . Then came the announcement that we all got it wrong and it was Frogmore Cottage, a forgotten historical gem. But we all expected a new home and KP was never part of that narrative.

The dialogue only changed with the DM and others insisting the wives were at each other throats.

soapstar 04-21-2019 04:47 AM

Roya Nikkhah is the reporter who wrote an article saying the Sussexes wanted their own household independent of Buckingham Palace and the Queen and Prince Charles put their foot down and told them no. She also wrote an article that kinda played into the whole "Duchess difficult" rumor. Nikkhah's reporting was dismissed/condemned by some royal watchers, so I'm actually surprised that this article about a Sussex move to Africa (and a rift with William) is being take at face value.

Dalriada 04-21-2019 05:03 AM

Itís interesting that matters about the royal rift are now discussed openly in the broadsheets and its not just the tabloid press. Itís all reminiscent of the war of the Walesís back in the 1990s.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...rift-j3cft5d3d

Lilyflo 04-21-2019 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapstar (Post 2213005)
Roya Nikkhah is the reporter who wrote an article saying the Sussexes wanted their own household independent of Buckingham Palace and the Queen and Prince Charles put their foot down and told them no. She also wrote an article that kinda played into the whole "Duchess difficult" rumor. Nikkhah's reporting was dismissed/condemned by some royal watchers, so I'm actually surprised that this article about a Sussex move to Africa (and a rift with William) is being take at face value.

I don't think many will take it at face value. That's not to say there isn't an underlying truth in there. Also, courtiers may have all sorts of plans that won't ever come to fruition for a variety of reasons. The question for me is what is the main problem that's driving it all? As I said earlier, I think it's the complex dynamics of Charles / William / Harry & their relative positions versus popularity.

Rudolph 04-21-2019 05:49 AM

Buckingham Palace is not denying a report that officials have discussed sending Harry and Meghan to Africa as a way of capitalising on their appeal to young people in the Commonwealth - and of putting further distance between them and the Cambridges.

Buckingham Palace: “Any future plans for The Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles.
“The Duke will continue to fulfil his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador.”

Richard Palmer Twitter

Lemon Lyman 04-21-2019 05:53 AM

Iím not convinced. What if they want another child? Canít see that happening aboard.

solinka 04-21-2019 06:04 AM

William and Kate might be less exciting than newlywed Harry and Meghan, but why are the royals expected to be flamboyant and interesting all the time?

Take a look at Queen Elizabeth. We love to praise her for her quiet dignity and bespoken composure, yet we expect the future king and heir to act like Big Brother contestants.

I have a feeling one can never satisfy people. Royals are not Hollywood stars, remember that.

Heavs 04-21-2019 06:13 AM

I can see the idea being floated but it doesn't seem practical longterm just now with a newborn, a new house and their patronages etc in the UK. A long tour, a big presence on the world stage through the Commonwealth an important project maybe but not exile until Charles becomes King or something.

Although funny, I remember a few years ago before Megan people were wondering if Harry wanted to live in Africa and work with Sentebale and other charities permanently and would meet and marry a charity worker there.

Denville 04-21-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solinka (Post 2213024)
William and Kate might be less exciting than newlywed Harry and Meghan, but why are the royals expected to be flamboyant and interesting all the time?

Take a look at Queen Elizabeth. We love to praise her for her quiet dignity and bespoken composure, yet we expect the future king and heir to act like Big Brother contestants.

I have a feeling one can never satisfy people. Royals are not Hollywood stars, remember that.

well that's the problem. the second son is often able to be more popular because he has more freedom. Will is stuck with the dull duties, he's married with kids.. He is naturally anyway a rather quiet shy person and not an enthusiastic performer. Harry was always the "lively one"..and with a wife who has a background as an actress I think that they are both going to be the "glitzy" ones who can be more amusing and entertaining...
I don't think that clowning around comes naturally to William and if he tires to do it, it doesn't come off.
but back in the 80s when Charles and Di were very new and popular, there were calls for the queen to retire and let them take over.. they were young, attractive entertaining popular and she was a dull older woman who was out of touch...but she's still here!

Mbruno 04-21-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2212931)

I don’t think a position as GG in Australia or Canada is a realistic option. There has been a tradition since the 1950s of the GG of Canada being a Canadian citizen ( although not necessarily born in Canada like Adrienne Clarkson or MichaŽlle Jean). Reverting to a British Prince as GG wouldn’t be politically acceptable and, frankly, would only play into the hands of the republicans who would bring back the “foreign Head of State” issue, which BTW seems to be their only concrete argument against the monarchy.

I am not as knowledgeable about Australia as I am about Canada, but I suppose the same reasoning would apply to advise against offering Harry the GG position. In fact, it would be even more politically toxic in Australia than in Canada since republicanism is stronger in the former than in the latter.

On the other hand, I don’t see Harry and Meghan living permanently in a foreign country that is not a Commonwealth realm. There are plenty of Commonwealth countries in Africa, but they are all republics. Having Harry in Botswana or any other African republic could bring back talk of neocolonialism, which would also be politically and diplomatically unacceptable. So I think it won’t happen. Besides, inside the UK, it would look like an exile punishment for the Sussexes, reminiscent of David and Wallis. It doesn’t make any sense

CTchic 04-21-2019 06:42 AM

https://twitter.com/SkyRhiannon/stat...471376385?s=19

Mirabel 04-21-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denville (Post 2213029)
well that's the problem. the second son is often able to be more popular because he has more freedom. Will is stuck with the dull duties, he's married with kids.. He is naturally anyway a rather quiet shy person and not an enthusiastic performer. Harry was always the "lively one"..and with a wife who has a background as an actress I think that they are both going to be the "glitzy" ones who can be more amusing and entertaining...

Eh, the same was said of Andrew, once upon a time.
He was more popular than Charles, hard as it is to believe today.

And the Snowdens were once the glitzy ones...

Popularity is very fickle; it can turn sour in a heartbeat. What matters is position in the hierarchy, and William is the one who has it. The RF is well-aware of that.

JuliannaVictoria 04-21-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTchic (Post 2213055)
https://twitter.com/SkyRhiannon/status/1119900803471376385?s=19

Yep...and Roya is now backpedaling or trying to spin the story. This was such a cluster-f..k. If this was meant to test the waters, it backfired tremendously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2213062)

Popularity is very fickle; it can turn sour in a heartbeat. What matters is position in the hierarchy, and William is the one who has it. The RF is well-aware of that.

Which is exactly my point. Harry and Meghan's popularity would have eventually faded.

William should focus on doing the best as the DoC, and preparing to be a great PoW.

CTchic 04-21-2019 07:08 AM

This piece was not necessary and does more to sour the relationship between the Cambridges and Sussexes. FGS Meghan is going to give birth anyday now and this story leading up to it is poor timing.

muriel 04-21-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria (Post 2213064)
William should focus on doing the best as the DoC, and preparing to be a great PoW.

Is that not what he is doing?

JuliannaVictoria 04-21-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2213077)

Not according to the article by Roya...but hey, what do I know.

JuliannaVictoria 04-21-2019 07:29 AM

"sussexroyal: Happy Birthday Your Majesty, Ma’am, Granny. Wishing you the most wonderful day! ��Harry & Meghan"

I absolutely adore this message from the Sussex's IG. The accompanying photos were a great choice also.

BaiSoSo 04-21-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria (Post 2213064)
Which is exactly my point. Harry and Meghan's popularity would have eventually faded.

I don't think their popularity would have faded, the Sussexes come across as engaging, caring people who want to help others/communities and that's why people like them. The monarch needs that type of connection with people to continue to be successful (changing with the times). The hope would have been that clickbait media would have faded.

Mbruno 04-21-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2213077)

Absolutely. He has been going on high-level official visits, attending state banquets and diplomatic receptions, taking part in major memorial services/ceremonies, and getting a more in-depth knowledge of the British state machinery and of the different government departments. Everything an heir is supposed to do .

It is really unfortunate that those press reports make it look like William and Catherine are “ conspiring” against Harry and Meghan when they probably have no part in whatever plans Charles or the Queen, may have for the Sussexes.

muriel 04-21-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2213084)
Absolutely. He has been going on high-level official visits, attending state banquets and diplomatic receptions, taking part in major memorial services/ceremonies, and getting a more in-depth knowledge of the British state machinery and of the different government departments. Everything an heir is supposed to do .

I could not agree more with you. It is great to watch how William and Catherine have stepped up the quality and number of engagements they both carry out. William had made some very high profile and sensitive trips in recent years to Israel and Palenstine, and to China. No longer do they look like apprentices or newbies in the role, but "steady" players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2213084)
It is really unfortunate that those press reports make it look like William and Catherine are “ conspiring” against Harry and Meghan when they probably have no part in whatever plans Charles or the Queen, may have for the Sussexes.

Spot on.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 07:46 AM

The article doesn't mention BP, Charles or the Queen. It mentions Simon Case as the key figure behind this, whatever it is. BP issued their denied, calling it just speculation. KP has said nothing.

What annoys me the most here, that Harry and Meghan have done nothing wrong. They're just really liked and popular. Meghan is a few days from giving birth, and might just be hit by an article, that she and Harry will be sent "somewhere in Africa" perhaps in 2020. And KP and courtiers are planning this only because they're too popular and too much in the media, which, again, none of it is Meghan and Harry's fault.

Dman 04-21-2019 07:54 AM

I just don’t like any of this. I just hate how the media has decided to turn the Sussexes and Cambridges relationship into a dueling relationship. And, Meghan. Meghan, has been pretty turned into a punching bag for everything for months on end. A lot of Palace PR mistakes has happened here, if you ask me.

Rudolph 04-21-2019 07:56 AM

As much as William would like to have that kind of power, he doesn't.

If Harry and Meghan go anywhere, it's the Queen with the authority to do it.

O-H Anglophile 04-21-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213097)
The article doesn't mention BP, Charles or the Queen. It mentions Simon Case as the key figure behind this, whatever it is. BP issued their denied, calling it just speculation. KP has said nothing.

What annoys me the most here, that Harry and Meghan have done nothing wrong. They're just really liked and popular. Meghan is a few days from giving birth, and might just be hit by an article, that she and Harry will be sent "somewhere in Africa" perhaps in 2020. And KP and courtiers are planning this only because they're too popular and too much in the media, which, again, none of it is Meghan and Harry's fault.

You cannot put this all on Simon Case. The article says this plan was developed by Sir David Manning, who was appointed as advisor (especially in foreign and diplomatic matters) by the Queen to William and Harry years ago and Lord Geidt, who was the Queen’sPrivate Secretary until 2017.

KP has no power over Harry-only BP and CH do. Anything this big would involve BP and CH is the holder of the purse strings.

Lumutqueen 04-21-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

This. This is so important.

ACO 04-21-2019 08:05 AM

I don't think they are going anywhere. Heck the story only says it is being "suggested" which is a clever work around. The real story is implication of wanting them ship out and the juvenile reason why. Not that one has the power to actually do it. Besides people seem to be forgetting Meghan is applying for citizenship. There are literal rules that have to be followed -- one being she has to live in the UK for 5 years. Unless they are suddenly fast-tracking her status after saying that wouldn't which will start a very different conversation.

Rudolph 04-21-2019 08:07 AM

The Queen is the boss. If Meghan and Harry end up in Timbuktu, it's because of her.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 08:08 AM

The point being, whoever leaked this story, is just very bad at PR. At this point it makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't sound there has been discussions WITH Meghan and Harry at all. She is days from having a baby, they just moved to FC, newly renovated dream home, and Meghan has to wait good few more years for citizenship of UK.

Leaking an article saying, that courtiers are creating a plan to ship Harry and Meghan to Africa away from the media (let me not start on the ignorance of THAT) because they're too popular, it just makes the whole RF look really bad. I read about the optics all the time here. Well, the optics here aren't good, at all.

Lumutqueen 04-21-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213113)
The point being, whoever leaked this story,

Why does it have to be a leak...?

O-H Anglophile 04-21-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213113)
The point being, whoever leaked this story, is just very bad at PR. At this point it makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't sound there has been discussions WITH Meghan and Harry at all. She is days from having a baby, they just moved to FC, newly renovated dream home, and Meghan has to wait good few more years for citizenship of UK.

Leaking an article saying, that courtiers are creating a plan to ship Harry and Meghan to Africa away from the media (let me not start on the ignorance of THAT) because they're too popular, it just makes the whole RF look really bad. I read about the optics all the time here. Well, the optics here aren't good, at all.

Or it is what I said yesterday, this was devised to find a leak. Because none of it makes sense.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213116)

Roya actually named names who were involved in crafting this plan. All of whom could easily rubbish her story. They haven't. This wasn't a "royal sources say" kind of story. Imho someone tipped Roya.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2213118)
Or it is what I said yesterday, this was devised to find a leak. Because none of it makes sense.

HORRIBLE timing for that. Like I said, imho, very bad PR, terrible optics.

Lumutqueen 04-21-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213121)
Roya actually named names who were involved in crafting this plan. All of whom could easily rubbish her story. They haven't. This wasn't a "royal sources say" kind of story. Imho someone tipped Roya.

According to the DM, can't access the times as it's behind a paywall, Sir David Manning and Sir Christopher Geidt are "said" to have drawn up plans for DOS' "are set to be given a role that involves the Commonwealth, charity work and promoting Britain".

It then goes on further to speculate;

"Although this is unlikely to be decided until next year, the role is likely to be in Africa because of the couple's ties there."

So the previous private secretary to HM and the previous advisor to DOCa and Prince Henry have made some sort of plan for Henry and Meghan to basically continue what they're doing now. The fact the role is abroad, specifically Africa, appears to have come from thin air.

I genuinely don't see how the optics on this are bad at all.

There is one issue right now with communication, if Henry and Meghan are forming their own social media accounts and communications people, a rebuttle should come from this account and not Kensington Palace. KP speaks for William and Catherine now, not Henry and Meghan.

I don't believe a rebuttle is necessary though, it's just someone taking a piece of generalised information and running with it because we haven't seen our royals in a while...

O-H Anglophile 04-21-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213121)

This “story” came out a little over 12 hours ago and today is Easter Sunday.
These are not the sorts of people who are going to tweet some half baked response.
And very, very few stories get comments from the Royals or their staff.

Cocoasneeze 04-21-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213128)
According to the DM, can't access the times as it's behind a paywall, Sir David Manning and Sir Christopher Geidt are "said" to have drawn up plans for DOS' "are set to be given a role that involves the Commonwealth, charity work and promoting Britain".

"Although this is unlikely to be decided until next year, the role is likely to be in Africa because of the couple's ties there."

So the previous private secretary to HM and the previous advisor to DOCa and Prince Henry have made some sort of plan for Henry and Meghan to basically continue what they're doing now. The fact the role is abroad, specifically Africa, appears to have come from thin air.

There is one issue right now with communication, if Henry and Meghan are forming their own social media accounts and communications people, a rebuttle should come from this account and not Kensington Palace. KP speaks for William and Catherine now, not Henry and Meghan.

I don't believe a rebuttle is necessary though, it's just someone taking a piece of generalised information and running with it because we haven't seen our royals in a while...

BP did put out their rebuttal already. All this is speculation, no plans have been made for Harry and Meghan.

And I'd say putting names in an article saying, that there are plans to send Harry and Meghan somewhere in Africa in 2020, well their names are tied to this story.

O-H Anglophile 04-21-2019 08:43 AM

The more I think about this, the more it seems like an idea that was thrown out there for Harry back when he was a bachelor, kind of at loose ends with his life. There were rumors then that he wanted to run off to Africa. Especially considering this plan is supposedly the idea of Manning and Geidt.

Because none of it makes sense for his life now.

Ista 04-21-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213128)

Thank you for this.

Denville 04-21-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Exactly. For a time Andrew was the good looking young guy and he and Sarah were quite popular..
But I do fear that perhaps Charles is less popular than he ought to be, because a lot of people still have a distorted pic of him due to the Camilla factor..So its not just that Charles is older and not so glamourous or fun as his 2 sons...

wyevale 04-21-2019 09:00 AM

^ I have no worries regarding the PoW's [perceived] unpopularity, given the outpouring of support and love he is certain to receive in the aftermath of his Mothers death..

Denville 04-21-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2213137)
^ I have no worries regarding the PoW's [perceived] unpopularity, given the outpouring of support and love he is certain to receive in the aftermath of his Mothers death..

I don't see any evidence that that is likely to happen. I don't think that Charles attracts that sort of emotion..

wyevale 04-21-2019 09:19 AM

Generally he doesn't, but as eldest son and heir, the new King will be chief mourner and leader of the Nation and Commonwealth at the funeral of a much loved Queen. The focus, and the sympathy of all will be on him.
His sons and their wives will have supporting roles [at best].
As such he and his Queen will garner huge levels of support in the first days/weeks and months of his reign.

Madame Verseau 04-21-2019 10:05 AM

I don't know who hatched this plan to send Harry and Megan to Africa but the fact BP gave a response within 24 hours they realized this is going down wrong. William and Kate should have been working on their royal roles long before Harry met Megan.

jacqui24 04-21-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213116)

It certainly didn’t walk out by itself.... so someone had to talk. Whether that someone is realiable or not. Or do we now think journalists just make up sources now?

And I know someone mentioned Roya and her track record and such above. But Roya isn’t the primary on this. Tim Shipman is. Roya is credited behind him on one of the two articles.

Denville 04-21-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Verseau (Post 2213153)
I don't know who hatched this plan to send Harry and Megan to Africa but the fact BP gave a response within 24 hours they realized this is going down wrong. William and Kate should have been working on their royal roles long before Harry met Megan.

well they rather were. They were members of the BRF long before harry Met Meghan...

Denville 04-21-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2213141)
Generally he doesn't, but as eldest son and heir, the new King will be chief mourner and leader of the Nation and Commonwealth at the funeral of a much loved Queen. The focus, and the sympathy of all will be on him.
His sons and their wives will have supporting roles [at best].
As such he and his Queen will garner huge levels of support in the first days/weeks and months of his reign.

I don't think it will be all that emotional. The queen is admired and respected.. but I woud not say deeply loved.. and it is not the Victorian age any more. Charles will be OK - I mean he' will be accepted....but I dont think people are going to get very emotional about him or the queen..adn I thnk that the Camilla factor will unfairly damage his and Cam's popularity.

Lumutqueen 04-21-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2213130)

And I'd say putting names in an article saying, that there are plans to send Harry and Meghan somewhere in Africa in 2020, well their names are tied to this story.

Your comment doesnít make much sense. Yes their names are included in this story, but they were once Private Secretary to HM and Personal Advisor to (first of all) Henry and William.

There arenít actually any plans to send Henry and Meghan anywhere. All the stories speculate itís Africa and itíll supposedly be next year.

This is not like someoneís for a hold of an official document and leaked it, and it specifically said William wants to send Meghan and Henry to Africa next year.

This is literally a story made from nothing other than Henry and Meghan doing what they already do...

jacqui24 04-21-2019 10:42 AM

:previous: Harry and Meghan do not live in Africa.

This story’s point isn’t just about Africa, but to send Harry and Meghan away on a permanent basis as a starting point. Apparently both Australia and Canada have been discussed without success. So to me, the location seems to be secondary. Just to find something for them somewhere else that will keep them busy.

Ista 04-21-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213172)
Your comment doesnít make much sense. Yes their names are included in this story, but they were once Private Secretary to HM and Personal Advisor to (first of all) Henry and William.

There arenít actually any plans to send Henry and Meghan anywhere. All the stories speculate itís Africa and itíll supposedly be next year.

This is not like someoneís for a hold of an official document and leaked it, and it specifically said William wants to send Meghan and Henry to Africa next year.

This is literally a story made from nothing other than Henry and Meghan doing what they already do...

Agreed. And in addition, there is nothing to suggest that even if there has been some discussion, that it isn't something that Harry and Meghan would like to do, and that they haven't been consulted about it. If I were them, I'd certainly be interested in an opportunity to move somewhere for a couple of years to do work that I was interested in doing, but with, perhaps, a bit more privacy for my very young family. I keep on remembering that very friendly greeting between Sir Christopher and Meghan a while back, which does suggest that they know each other fairly well and that there's a degree of warmth to the relationship.

I'm really astonished that there is so much assumption of ill-intent without a shred of evidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2213173)
:previous: Harry and Meghan do not live in Africa.

This storyís point isnít just about Africa, but to send Harry and Meghan away on a permanent basis as a starting point. Apparently both Australia and Canada have been discussed without success. So to me, the location seems to be secondary. Just to find something for them somewhere else that will keep them busy.

Nowhere is it said or implied that they would be sent away permanently. That is sheer nonsense.

jacqui24 04-21-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2213177)
Nowhere is it said or implied that they would be sent away permanently. That is sheer nonsense.

To live somewhere else for a few years isnít considered permenant? Itís not just a tour we are talking about.

Ista 04-21-2019 11:02 AM

Living somewhere for a couple of years, when you know it is only for that time period, is not permanent. Their permanent home, as far as we know it, is Frogmore Cottage, which is where they will return for the foreseeable future between engagements, overseas tours, and even temporary assignments abroad, if that should happen. It sounds much more dramatic and alarmist to say that Meghan and Harry are being sent elsewhere permanently, than to say that they are being given an opportunity to work overseas for a couple of years.

jacqui24 04-21-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ista (Post 2213180)
Living somewhere for a couple of years, when you know it is only for that time period, is not permanent. Their permanent home, as far as we know it, is Frogmore Cottage, which is where they will return for the foreseeable future between engagements, overseas tours, and even temporary assignments abroad, if that should happen. It sounds much more dramatic and alarmist to say that Meghan and Harry are being sent elsewhere permanently, than to say that they are being given an opportunity to work overseas for a couple of years.

To live somewhere is permenant. Whether a couple of years or a couple of decades. And if the opportunity is simply to keep them away is alarming. It’s not as if an assignment came up and they thought it’d be a great idea for Harry and Meghan.

What’s being said here is that courtiers are actively looking to see if they can find anything anywhere that will take Sussexes out of the UK just because some feel like they attract too much spotlight, through no fault of their own I will add.

Abbigail 04-21-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Harry is not Andrew, whose popularity was born out of him simply being a handsome young royal and war hero. Harry is not only that but also Diana's son, a charismatic man in his own right and one who is committed to championing several worthy causes. Unless he really screws up, his "star power" won't be fading any time soon. I can see why that may have some people worried.

Oh and I highly doubt Meghan and Harry are going anywhere, definitely not Africa. How ridiculous.