The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/death-and-funeral-of-grand-duke-jean-april-23-and-may-4-2019-a-46308.html)

Lumutqueen 04-23-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2213973)
I read on Twitter that as a member of the Order of The Garter, his banner will be removed from St. George's Chapel today?

I hadn't realized that was the customary thing to when a member of the Order dies.

It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

Kingen 04-23-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213977)
It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

When it comes to the Order of the Seraphim this transfer takes place on the day of the funeral. Then, will the coat of arms be taken in procession from the Royal Palace to the Riddarholmen Church where a short ceremony will be held and the the bells of the church will ring for one hour, a so called Seraphim ringing (Serafimerringning).

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2019 09:54 AM

:previous: Sounds very moving...thank you!

polyesco 04-23-2019 11:59 AM

From the Belgium Royal Family
https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...628800/photo/1

and the Dutch Royals
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actuee...-van-luxemburg

An Ard Ri 04-23-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 2214046)

Both Royal Houses were the closest to the Grand Ducal Family nice to see the ties are still there.

Blog Real 04-23-2019 04:06 PM

The Belgian royal family has always been very close to the Grand Duke. King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert II and Princess Astrid arrived this afternoon in Luxembourg for a private visit.
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/705421.aspx

Somebody 04-23-2019 04:23 PM

The Dutch message felt more personal to me but I assume the more personal feelings regarding the passing of their brother-in-law and uncle will have been shared in person by the Belgian royals.

HereditaryPrincess 04-23-2019 05:24 PM

Very sad, but expected news. May Grand Duke Jean rest in peace - he can be united with Josephine Charlotte once more.

Biri 04-23-2019 06:30 PM

The one who always wanted a unity of Europe of whose freedom from Nazism he had fought with so many who had already left us...

The one under whose rule his country was transformed into a global financial centre...

The one who was blessed with over 40 descendants...

After the festivity which symbolizes a Christian hope for eternal life went to the Eternal Father's Home:easter:where there is no pain, no suffering, no tears...

May his memory be honoured!

JulieS 04-23-2019 06:50 PM

May he rest in peace

Prisma 04-25-2019 12:14 AM

On April 25th, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the Luxembourg Embassy in Tokyo to offer condolences on the passing of Grand Duke Jean. Emperor Akihito first met the late Grand Duke in 1953 when they were both in London for Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

Photos: AP Images, Sankei

fnn.jp video includes footage of Their Majesties with Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxiT9S3yy4
I wonder who Japan is sending to the funeral... The new emperor and Imperial family are scheduled to greet the public on May 4. Grand Duke Jean is a former head of state so it should be Prince Akishino but IHA may want him on the balcony. Perhaps Princess Hisako?

An Ard Ri 04-25-2019 03:21 AM

That was a lovely personal touch from the Emperor and Empress :previous:

Duc_et_Pair 04-25-2019 03:47 AM

Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

SLV 04-25-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214451)
Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

That seems the most likely solution. Princess Beatrix doesn't NEED to be in Amsterdam during the remembrance, the King and Queen do.

Hans-Rickard 04-25-2019 06:56 AM

I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

Rudolph 04-25-2019 07:03 AM

Very sad news to hear of the passing of His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg passing away on Tuesday.

Grand Duke Jean had a huge relationship with the Irish Guards and was Colonel of the Regiment from 1984 to 2000. Quis separabit.

Via Irish Guards Twitter

https://twitter.com/irish_guards/sta...752657408?s=20

Biri 04-25-2019 07:47 AM

I hope they will send their representatives to the funeral.

Stefan 04-25-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214489)
I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

For Thailand i agree but in Japan there the cermonies are over and only a Balcony appearance takes place that day. Perhaps someone like Princess Takamado could miss that one and go instead to Luxembourg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214451)

Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

Duc_et_Pair 04-25-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2214559)
Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort

Stefan 04-25-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214572)
HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort

Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.