The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/death-and-funeral-of-grand-duke-jean-april-23-and-may-4-2019-a-46308.html)

JR76 05-06-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish_royalist (Post 2218118)
Was that Lady Elizabeth Anson who accompanied the Princess Royal into the funeral service? She seemed rather more frail than I remember.
Any ideas why she would have been there?

Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.

Duc_et_Pair 05-06-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2218153)
Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.

I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!

JR76 05-06-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218176)
I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!

If memory serves me right she's also been seen at royal celebrations in Oslo.

irish_royalist 05-06-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218176)
I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!

Ah yes - she is a well-connected Lady! Thanks for the info
I've heard her described as The Queen's 'party planner', but I'm now intrigued to find out more...

Tatiana Maria 05-06-2019 10:40 AM

Thank you to all of the people who provided the identifications and other information concerning the funeral.

I have a couple of questions:

Who was the man standing in the vehicle with the coffin of Grand Duke Jean?

Why did Princess Margaretha appear to rank above her brother Prince Jean in the order of precedence at the funeral? Isn't Jean the older twin, and listed first in the guestlist which was posted earlier?

As an aside, it is interesting that although the order of succession to the Luxembourg throne probably is still governed by semi-Salic male preference outside of Grand Duke Henri's branch of the family, the order of precedence is governed by absolute primogeniture.

Duc_et_Pair 05-06-2019 01:28 PM

The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.


Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5D68BFC2

Duc_et_Pair 05-06-2019 01:39 PM

Who is the young man next to Princess Margareta and Prince Radu of Romania?


Picture: https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-cont...7037429935.jpg

Tatiana Maria 05-06-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218433)
The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.


Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5D68BFC2


I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France. ;)

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.
2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.
The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.

Marengo 05-06-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218444)
Who is the young man next to Princess Margareta and Prince Radu of Romania?


Picture: https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-cont...7037429935.jpg

It is Prince Dinis of Portugal, Duke of Porto.

He attended the national day in Romania last year as a guest of the Princess:
https://blogrealmonarquias.blogs.sap...etha-e-5586660

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc et Pair
The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.

And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.

Mbruno 05-06-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2218459)
And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.


It is not his fault he is first in line in the Jacobite succession. He never claimed that right though.

wyevale 05-06-2019 02:15 PM

https://www.geni.com/people/Elizabet...00001591670492

Duc_et_Pair 05-06-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2218445)
I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France. ;)

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.
2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.
The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.

I see, I indeed thought Borbón-Dos Sicilias was the family name. Thanks for the correction.

Moonmaiden23 05-06-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218433)
The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.


Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5D68BFC2

I could feel the "vibes" in that photo...the expression on Prince Napoleon's face...:lol:

Stefan 05-06-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2218433)
The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.


Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5D68BFC2


And seating before them Duke Franz of Bavaria.

maria-olivia 05-06-2019 04:49 PM

Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

Mbruno 05-06-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2218549)
Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?


Maybe it was Don Luis who stood up for King Juan Carlos.



Anyway, they are cousins, so it is natural that they should greet each other.

Somebody 05-06-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2218549)
Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

They walked by... Would you have preferred the emeritus king to carry a chair everywhere he goes so he can sit down when his wife greets a cousin (his first cousin once removed) who stands up to greet her/them.

maria-olivia 05-06-2019 04:56 PM

I think he came before TM were sitting .

An Ard Ri 05-06-2019 04:57 PM

Here's 2 videos of the Royal Guests arriving at the Cathedral prior to the funeral Mass ,it looked like a cold wet Spring day in Luxembourg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmSR-NIXOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP76b4NEKGI

HereditaryPrincess 05-06-2019 04:57 PM

It was great to see everyone there and it was also a lovely surprise to see Elisabeth of Belgium with her parents as I hadn't expected her to attend. Nice to see the Princess Royal and Princess Beatrix chatting with each other too.
I agree with An Ard Ri that the photos posted by the Castros and other relatives after the funeral was in somewhat of a poor taste. It doesn't really seem right to see them all smiling after a service for their deceased relative.

princess gertrude 05-06-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2218549)
Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

I don't think he did. Looks more to me as if Sofia and Juan Carlos might have passed him and he stood up to greet them.

maria-olivia 05-06-2019 05:08 PM

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were the first on the second row . The Duke Franz of Bayern on the fifth row , so they did not arrive at their very place when Don Luis greated him.

Mbruno 05-06-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2218576)
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were the first on the second row . The Duke Franz of Bayern on the fifth row , so they did not arrive at their very place when Don Luis greated him.


I assume the foreign royal guests were the last to arrive before the Grand Ducal family. My interpretation is then that Juan Carlos and Sofia were going to their seats when they walked past Don Luis, who stood up to greet them.


As you can see, D. Luis is at his seat while King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia appear to be on the church's aisle.

maria-olivia 05-06-2019 05:36 PM

Yes Princess Gertrude and Mbruno we are right qnd this make sense.
Don't understand Somebody's strange answer...

Somebody 05-07-2019 06:06 PM

I read that Tessy attended the service but not as an invitee but probably as the 'second' person for one of the 200 (double, so 400 in total) spots for the public (to which apparently her father subscribed). Did anyone see conformation for this?

monica17 05-08-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2217801)
Perhaps also in Luxembourg as all of them who attended the funeral also attended the Wedding there in 2012.

Prince Charles Henri attended the baptism of Carlos Enrique, Prince of Piacenza, in Parma (2016). He even captioned the photo with the baby Carlos "The two Charles Henri's". He was also pictured walking with his maternal aunts (sisters of his mother) and "guiding" them. If I am not mistaken, he also attended Prince Jaime's wedding (2013) so at least for Duke Carlos Xavier, his siblings/the aunts, they seem to have a good relationship with their first cousin/nephew Charles Henri. Charles Henri also mentioned in an interview that he does not take part in the dynastic feuds of the Bourbons.

This one, I'm not 100% sure but I do remember reading that his mother Marie Francoise attended the mass for her brother Carlos Hugo in Paris (2010).

Countessmeout 05-08-2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2219076)
I read that Tessy attended the service but not as an invitee but probably as the 'second' person for one of the 200 (double, so 400 in total) spots for the public (to which apparently her father subscribed). Did anyone see conformation for this?

The only things I have seen are her being 'snubbed' by not being allowed to sit with the family. Which is true, she wasn't seated with the family, but that is to be expected in the situation.

I don't know if that means she was only there as her dad managed to get two of the rare public tickets. It is more likely as the former granddaughter in law of Jean (who she is said to have had a close relationship with) she was invited. She simply was not seated among the family/royals as she is no longer a member. Her and her father were there for the boys.

Might be wrong but highly get any confirmation either way.

Stefan 05-08-2019 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2219184)

I don't know if that means she was only there as her dad managed to get two of the rare public tickets. It is more likely as the former granddaughter in law of Jean (who she is said to have had a close relationship with) she was invited. She simply was not seated among the family/royals as she is no longer a member. Her and her father were there for the boys.

Might be wrong but highly get any confirmation either way.


On the other side Hélène Vestur was invited and arrived with the other guests in Buses. She also sat not among the Family but i think in the section where the guests from former reigning Houses where seated. However Tessy weas seated more 9n the back of the Cathedral.

An Ard Ri 05-08-2019 04:40 AM

Had no idea the former Princess Tessy was there as I don't follow her.

Stefan 05-11-2019 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2217514)
I believe they were replaying the Grand Ducal Family's exit from the cathedral. They were obviously the first to leave.



I don't think there was a separate ceremony as the commending of the body was already done at the end of the mass, but I may be wrong.


No the Grand Ducal Family was last to leave. At the End of the Service the coffin was brought out and carried to the Grand Ducal Crypt followed by all the Famiily members. During the time they where in the Crypt all the royal and noble guests left and only then the members of the Grand Ducal Family.

maria-olivia 05-11-2019 07:24 AM

Endly the front page of the Magazine Point de Vue.

RoyalProtocol 05-11-2019 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve spent today in Luxembourg - really quite moving to see how many shop display windows and around the city In general pay tribute to His late Royal Highness

Attachment 301746Attachment 301747

RoyalProtocol 05-12-2019 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Grand Duke Jean’s vault in the crypt of the Cathedral Attachment 301748Attachment 301749

Stefan 05-12-2019 02:51 PM

I made a Report for Netty's royal Blog which can be seen here: https://www.nettyroyalblog.nl/deaths...in-luxembourg/

Moonmaiden23 05-12-2019 03:46 PM

The crypt is simple yet impressive. ..just like Grand Duke Jean himself. RIP.

An Ard Ri 05-12-2019 03:56 PM

The entrance to the Grand Ducal Crypt is guarded by 2 gilded lions.

https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...ame/crypt2.JPG

Countessmeout 05-12-2019 03:58 PM

The vault is simple but beautiful :flowers:

The lions at the entrance to the crypt are amazing.

HereditaryPrincess 05-12-2019 04:42 PM

Thank you wbenson for sharing your photos. The late GD lead a remarkable life and his passing seems to have had a profound effect on Luxembourg.

RoyalProtocol 05-12-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2221322)
The entrance to the Grand Ducal Crypt is guarded by 2 gilded lions.



https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...ame/crypt2.JPG



The lions are quite impressive - there was such a crowd of people queuing to see the vault I couldn’t get them in my shot!

An Ard Ri 05-12-2019 05:52 PM

Inside the Grand Ducal crypt there seems to be only one tomb that of Grand Duchess Charlotte with wall plaques for everyone else interred there.

https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...ame/crypt3.JPG

Stefan 05-13-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2221369)
Inside the Grand Ducal crypt there seems to be only one tomb that of Grand Duchess Charlotte with wall plaques for everyone else interred there.

https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...ame/crypt3.JPG


That is an em,pty coffin. The actual coffins are on a lower Level:


Article in german about the secrets of the Catehdral: https://translate.google.com/transla...e74263e13bff17

Duc_et_Pair 05-13-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2221322)
The entrance to the Grand Ducal Crypt is guarded by 2 gilded lions.

https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-co...ame/crypt2.JPG

The one lion sports the Arms of Nassau, the other lion the Arms of Bourbon-Parma.

The new Luxembourg vault is not really my cup of tea. Too polished floors, to shiny materials, too clinical. I prefer old dark mediaeval looking vaults which needs a torchlight above this one with halogene spots.

An Ard Ri 05-13-2019 06:33 AM

No I don't like it either I wonder when it was redecorated some of the burials go back to the medieval Dukes of Luxembourg and remarkably are still intact.

I found this video of the Grand Dukes Coffin leaving the cathedral for interment in the Grand Ducal Crypt I assume there's a separate entrance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0WMmR9chWY

Rayarena 05-16-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2221449)
The one lion sports the Arms of Nassau, the other lion the Arms of Bourbon-Parma.

The new Luxembourg vault is not really my cup of tea. Too polished floors, to shiny materials, too clinical. I prefer old dark mediaeval looking vaults which needs a torchlight above this one with halogene spots.

Absolutely agree. I don't like this vault either. In fact, when I saw it, I immediately thought that it looked Chinese. Those fat, golden lions look like Chinese lions in a Chinese Fastfood Restaurant! Does anyone have any pictures of the "dark medieval looking vaults?"

Duc_et_Pair 05-16-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayarena (Post 2222298)
Absolutely agree. I don't like this vault either. In fact, when I saw it, I immediately thought that it looked Chinese. Those fat, golden lions look like Chinese lions in a Chinese Fastfood Restaurant! Does anyone have any pictures of the "dark medieval looking vaults?"

The mausoleum of the House Orange-Nassau in Delft is not accessible. In the 19th C two gentlemem were allowed to inspect the mausoleum and drawings were published: https://kunst-en-cultuur.infonu.nl/a...2982834458.jpg That looks mediaeval and darksome.

Even in the 20th and 21st C no pictures have been published of the interior of this mausoleum. The only thing the public sees is a deckstone covering the stairs:
https://www.absofacts2.com/gif/fnl/z...t/dsc_7501.jpg

For royal funerals the deckstone is removed:
https://www.vorsten.nl/app/uploads/2...4-667x1024.jpg

eya 05-17-2019 06:16 PM

A message from King Simeon about his absence of the Funeral of the late Grand Duke Jean on 4 May

A message from H.M.King Simeon II’ Secretariat « H.M. King Simeon II

Rudolph 05-20-2019 05:17 PM

When Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg died, his banner as a Stranger Knight of the Garter was removed and is now being prepared by College of St George, Windsor Castle, for ‘laying up’ on the Altar, as shown in this picture published in The Dragon

Via Alastair Bruce Twitter

https://twitter.com/AlastairBruce_/s...505912837?s=20

It will be blessed by the Dean of the the chapel and presented to the family.

tommy100 06-05-2019 02:21 PM

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it appears that HM Queen Elizabeth II talks about Jean's death here with the PM of Luxembourg at the recent D-Day events in London. (IF you turn the sound right up you can just about make out some of their conversation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1DC5g35B8

JR76 06-05-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2228726)
I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it appears that HM Queen Elizabeth II talks about Jean's death here with the PM of Luxembourg at the recent D-Day events in London. (IF you turn the sound right up you can just about make out some of their conversation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1DC5g35B8

The Queen asking - "Do they open anything?" when receiving the keys to the city [emoji23]

Rudolph 09-25-2019 09:46 PM

“On Monday, the Memorial Evensong for Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was held at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Jean was a Knight of the Order of the Garter (1972-2019). His banner which hung in the chapel was blessed by the dean & presented to his son, Grand Duke Henri.”

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Moonmaiden23 09-25-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2228737)
The Queen asking - "Do they open anything?" when receiving the keys to the city [emoji23]

I heard HM say " great friend of ours" to PM Xavier Bettel when the PM thanked her for something, perhaps her condolences on the passing of HRH GD Jean..

I would have loved to hear the Memorial Evensong Service for GD Jean at St. George's Chapel. I am sure it was beautiful.

HereditaryPrincess 09-26-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2255256)
“On Monday, the Memorial Eversong for Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was held at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Jean was a Knight of the Order of the Garter (1972-2019). His banner which hung in the chapel was blessed by the dean & presented to his son, Grand Duke Henri.”

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Nice to hear that there was a memorial service for GD Jean at Windsor. It seems like, as well as being a Knight of the Garter, he was rather close to HM.

Somebody 09-26-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2255636)
Nice to hear that there was a memorial service for GD Jean at Windsor. It seems like, as well as being a Knight of the Garter, he was rather close to HM.

He and Philip were of the same age; not many of that generation are left...

JR76 09-26-2019 09:44 PM

The Grand Duke was a close friend of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. He spent the war years in the UK, was an Officer of the Irish Guards, later Colonel of the Regiment of the Irish Guards, rode behind the Queen during Trooping for many years and took part in the parade years after.

That generation is almost gone, yes. Genealogically speaking besides Prince Philip I can only think of his first cousins Prince Michael of Greece (80) and Lady Pamela Hicks (90) though they of course are younger than him and Grand Duke Jean's sister Countess Marie Gabrielle of Ledreborg (94). Others that are close to Philip and Jean in age are Astrid of Norway (87), Queen Elizabeth (93), Princess Alix Napoléon (93) and the two sisters Archduchess Margherita of Habsburg-Este (89) and Princess Maria-Christina of Bourbons-Deux-Siciles (86).

eya 04-23-2020 11:36 AM

"One year ago, on 23 April 2019, His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean left us at the age of 98.

A birthday mass in his memory will be celebrated during Octave Notre-Dame by Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich on Thursday 7 May 2020 at 9.30 am in the Luxembourg Cathedral.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, mass will take place without the physical presence of the faithful. So that the public can still attend the religious service, the mass will be broadcast live"


Messe anniversaire en mémoire de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc Jean - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2020

Somebody 04-23-2020 12:51 PM

I assume the mass is not in connection to his birthday (January 5) but to his passing (so, the anniversary mass of his passing). Probably a 'translation error' :flowers:

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2020 12:59 PM

Happy to know that there will be a memorial Mass celebrated for HRH, even though his family cannot attend in person.

I so wish he had lived long enough to meet Guillaume and Stephanie's first born, due to arrive in just a few weeks now.:sad:

eya 05-07-2020 04:20 AM

Live the memory mass of the GD Jean


https://www.cathol.lu/homepage-accue...ve-stream.html


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises