The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/death-and-funeral-of-grand-duke-jean-april-23-and-may-4-2019-a-46308.html)

Tatiana Maria 04-27-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2215057)
The Portugese are the largest group of non-Luxembourg nationals in the Grand-Duchy and the late Grand-Duke's grandmother was a Portugese:

[...]
Wilhelm IV von Nassau x Maria Ana de Bragança

Maria-Anna was not really Portuguese, her father having been exiled and stripped of his title decades before she was born. As a result, his children were born in Germany and documents issued by the Portuguese government referred to his wife and children as plain Dona/Don. But of course, if Maria Anna considered herself Portuguese, her children and grandchildren could have maintained a special sentiment for that country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog Real (Post 2214265)
The Duke of Braganza has confirmed that he will be with his family at the funeral of the Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. "My family and I will be present at the funeral," he said.
The Duke of Braganza remembered his cousin Jean to the Contact. "The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the great-grandson of King Michael, has always given great support to the Portuguese community in Luxembourg, whose emigration he sponsored after the Second World War," said Duarte. "My family and I are in a prayer union with the family of the Grand Duke and we will be present at his funeral," the Duke of Bragança assured the Contact.
https://www.wort.lu/pt/luxemburgo/du...2cc1784e342aa6

In what ways did Grand Duke Jean sponsor the Portuguese immigration to Luxembourg? Did he lobby the government, or offer financial support, for example?

Biri 04-27-2019 08:43 AM

Will his funeral be live streamed online?

Duc_et_Pair 04-27-2019 02:40 PM

From the website of the Royal House of Romania:

[.....]
"Marele Duce a fost vărul primar al Reginei Ana a României. Regele Mihai I și Regina Ana au fost legați de Marele Duce Jean și de Marea Ducesă Josephine-Charlotte printr-o prietenie de o viață. Marele Duce și Regina Ana au participat la cel de-Al Doilea Război Mondial. Regele Mihai și Regina Ana au fost oaspeții cuplului regal luxemburghez de nenumărate ori, de-a lungul anilor, în ocazii de familie și în ocazii publice."
[.....]

Translation:

" The Grand-Duke was a first cousin of Queen Anne of Romania. King Michael I and Queen Anne were linked to Grand-Duke Jean and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte through a friendship lasting a lifetime. The Grand-Duke and Queen Anne participated in the Second World War. Over the years, for numerous times King Michael and Queen Anne have been guests of the Luxembourgian royal couple on family occasions and during public events."

Source: https://familiaregala.ro/stiri/artic...rg-in-memoriam

Mbruno 04-27-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2215185)
From the website of the Royal House of Romania:

[.....]
"Marele Duce a fost vărul primar al Reginei Ana a României. Regele Mihai I și Regina Ana au fost legați de Marele Duce Jean și de Marea Ducesă Josephine-Charlotte printr-o prietenie de o viață. Marele Duce și Regina Ana au participat la cel de-Al Doilea Război Mondial. Regele Mihai și Regina Ana au fost oaspeții cuplului regal luxemburghez de nenumărate ori, de-a lungul anilor, în ocazii de familie și în ocazii publice."
[.....]

Translation:

" The Grand-Duke was a first cousin of Queen Anne of Romania. King Michael I and Queen Anne were linked to Grand-Duke Jean and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte through a friendship lasting a lifetime. The Grand-Duke and Queen Anne participated in the Second World War. Over the years, for numerous times King Michael and Queen Anne have been guests of the Luxembourgian royal couple on family occasions and during public events."

Source: https://familiaregala.ro/stiri/artic...rg-in-memoriam

Is the Custodian of the Romanian Crown attending the state funeral then ?

Duc_et_Pair 04-27-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2215192)
Is the Custodian of the Romanian Crown attending the state funeral then ?

Yes, Princess Margareta and Prince Radu will attend indeed. It was confirmed on Twitter somewhere.

Moonmaiden23 04-27-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2215124)

I am pretty certain it will be.

Duc_et_Pair 04-27-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2215124)

Radio Télévision Luxembourg owns 60 television stations all over Europe, being the biggest private media enterprise. It would surprise me when there is no feed. Also chance it will be broadcast on public television in the two other Benelux countries and on German public television as well, since these always break their regular program for major royal events.

See: https://www.rtl.lu/tele/live

Mbruno 04-27-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2214933)
Grand Duke Jean and his children belong mainly to the Nassau family, their additional Bourbon-Parma identity notwithstanding. With Article 3 of the Constitution of Luxembourg stipulating that "the throne of Luxembourg is hereditary in the Nassau family", being a mere Bourbon-Parma would not allow Jean or Henri to have constitutionally acceded to the grand-ducal throne.

The Grand-Ducal Decree of July 28, 1986 gave to descendants of Sovereigns in male line the family name "Nassau" (subsequently corrected in 2006 to "of Nassau"), distinct from their titles. Even at the times when "Princess or Prince of Bourbon-Parma" was used, it was preceded by "Princess or Prince of Nassau" (e.g. in this court document HRH Louis Prince of Luxembourg v HRH Tessy Princess of Luxembourg & Anor (Application for Financial Remedy) [2018] EWFC 77 (04 December 2018)).

But Prince Felix's descendants (other than the GDs and HGDs properly) claim to be HRHs because of their Bourbon-Parma family origin, don't they ? Before that, cadet children of a GD were only "His Grand Ducal Highness", I suppose.

On your point, most people who have read my posts on TRF know my position on this issue. I believe in patrilineal naming of families and stand by it, regardless of whether certain RFs decide to call themselves Orange-Nassau, Windsor, or Nassau. It is just my personal PoV, which doesn't mean I deny their legal family name in Luxembourg is Nassau. Again, you are perfectly right.

In any case, it is still strange to me that the Belgian Royal Court considers GD Jean's descendants (or the Moncadas) members of the same family as the Belgian royals when they even use different family names. But, then again, I am quite radical on that subject as I also think Princess Astrid's children technically belong to another family (Habsburg-Lothringen) despite being princes of Belgium themselves. In the past (in the age of agnatic succession), that was the rule which royal houses such as Sweden's followed and family naming was consistent. In fact, even under male-preference cognatic sucession, the Brits used to observe patrilineal naming of dynasties. Now it is a mess.

Duc_et_Pair 04-27-2019 03:48 PM

In the Dutch situation the surname and titles are no longer hereditary. When Princess Juliana (a Von Mecklenburg), Princess Beatrix (a Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld) and when Prince Willem-Alexander (a Von Amsberg) were born, it was established by Royal Decree that their title and surname is Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau. That it is not hereditary was proven with Princess Catharina-Amalia, born from a father with the title and surname Prince of Orange-Nassau: also for her that title and surname were officially established by Royal Decree.

Windsor and Bernadotte follow a similar policy. We will see the same with Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien.

HereditaryPrincess 04-27-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214967)
Princess Anne is confirmed according to journalist Richard Palmer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...96929355042816

Interesting; thank you Hans Rickard. I had suspected that the Wessexes would go since they often seem to be the favoured British choice for European events, though perhaps they have engagements at home that couldn't be missed. It'll be nice to see Anne there though.

Hans-Rickard 04-27-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2215226)
Interesting; thank you Hans Rickard. I had suspected that the Wessexes would go since they often seem to be the favoured British choice for European events, though perhaps they have engagements at home that couldn't be missed. It'll be nice to see Anne there though.

For funerals it has usually been Prince Charles or Prince Andrew during later years. Earlier it was mostly Prince Philip.

Princess Anne was likely choosen this time as she knew GD Jean very well since they worked closely together for a decade in the International Olympic Comittee.

Tatiana Maria 04-27-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2215204)
But Prince Felix's descendants (other than the GDs and HGDs properly) claim to be HRHs because of their Bourbon-Parma family origin, don't they ? Before that, cadet children of a GD were only "His Grand Ducal Highness", I suppose.

Yes, you are correct. The children of Grand Duke Guillaume IV were created "Her Grand Ducal Highness" via Grand-Ducal decrees (link to an example).

Quote:

On your point, most people who have read my posts on TRF know my position on this issue. I believe in patrilineal naming of families and stand by it, regardless of whether certain RFs decide to call themselves Orange-Nassau, Windsor, or Nassau. It is just my personal PoV, which doesn't mean I deny their legal family name in Luxembourg is Nassau. Again, you are perfectly right.

Many royal watchers and for that matter many royals don't believe women should have equal rights as men to pass on their names to their children, and I am very much aware of that. But there is a difference between the opinions of royal watchers and the actual decisions royals may make. For instance, the decision of Grand Duke Henri in 2012 to deny any woman who happens to be a descendant of, or married to a descendant of, Grand Duchess Charlotte (with the exceptions of a Grand Duchess or a Hereditary Grand Duchess in her own right) the right to give her name to her own children sent the wrong message by my assessment, but it was his decision to make as the head of the house, and not mine. Accordingly, I recognize that Princess Alexandra's children will not be Nassaus, even though I would prefer them to be.

Quote:

In any case, it is still strange to me that the Belgian Royal Court considers GD Jean's descendants (or the Moncadas) members of the same family as the Belgian royals when they even use different family names. But, then again, I am quite radical on that subject as I also think Princess Astrid's children technically belong to another family (Habsburg-Lothringen) despite being princes of Belgium themselves. In the past (in the age of agnatic succession), that was the rule which royal houses such as Sweden's followed and family naming was consistent. In fact, even under male-preference cognatic sucession, the Brits used to observe patrilineal naming of dynasties. Now it is a mess.

It is odd that the Belgian Royal Court considers the main line of a foreign royal family to be part of the Belgian Royal Family, but on the other hand, most families in my experience do not define their membership using the strict criterion of family name. As a practical issue, a definition of that kind would imply that Spanish women, who virtually never adopt their husbands' names, do not belong to their husbands' families, and that is surely not the general view of most Spaniards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2215214)
In the Dutch situation the surname and titles are no longer hereditary. When Princess Juliana (a Von Mecklenburg), Princess Beatrix (a Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld) and when Prince Willem-Alexander (a Von Amsberg) were born, it was established by Royal Decree that their title and surname is Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau. That it is not hereditary was proven with Princess Catharina-Amalia, born from a father with the title and surname Prince of Orange-Nassau: also for her that title and surname were officially established by Royal Decree.

To add to your comment, the Royal Decrees also established "van Mecklenburg/van Lippe-Biesterfeld/van Amsberg" as parts of Juliana, Beatrix, and Willem-Alexander's and their siblings' respective surnames, preceded by the "van Oranje-Nassau". Take for example the text of the Royal Decree in relation to Juliana's children, posted here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2040512

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2215214)
Windsor and Bernadotte follow a similar policy. We will see the same with Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien.

Bernadotte has never been established by decree, it is simply hereditary.

King Philippe of Belgium has followed a different interpretation of the law than his father, and "Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien" is no longer considered their official family name, even though the Belgian royal family have persisted in its unofficial usage as a surname.

More information in this post: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1920463

Perhaps we could move the discussion of naming in the Benelux monarchies to the respective titles threads. :flowers:

cdm 04-28-2019 04:07 AM

Death of Grand Duke Jean: April 23, 2019

I don’t think it had anything to do with family names.

We all belong to more than one family.
The families of both parents, grandparents and so on. The family we may marry into or one of our ancestors remarry into.

From the Belgian point of view Jean is also part of their family.

The tweet of the Belgian journalist only announced the presence of Filip, Mathilde, Albert and Paola.
I would expect to see Astrid, Lorenz, Laurent and Claire as well.

Hendrik-Jan77 04-28-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214451)
Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

I do think the King and Queen will attend the funeral alongside Princess Beatrix.
They won't perhaps make it to the reception at the Palace afterwards but when they will attend just the churchservice, there will be enough time to be back in Amsterdam late afternoon.

Hendrik-Jan77 04-28-2019 07:42 AM

Does anyone know what the course of events will be for the next few days, for example:

- When will the body of the late Grand Duke be transferred to the Royal Palace?
- Will there be a Lying in State, so that the authorities and the people of Luxembourg can pay their respects?

What I also would like to know: will the Grand Duke be buried or cremated?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that his late wife, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte, was cremated and that her ashes are placed in the Royal Vault in the Notre Dame Cathedral of Luxembourg.

Stefan 04-28-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 (Post 2215389)
Does anyone know what the course of events will be for the next few days, for example:

- Will there be a Lying in State, so that the authorities and the people of Luxembourg can pay their respects?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that his late wife, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte, was cremated and that her ashes are placed in the Royal Vault in the Notre Dame Cathedral of Luxembourg.

The bodfy of the late Grand Duke will today be transferred from Berg Castle to the Palace in in Luxembourg-City where he will be lie in State.
Communiqué du Maréchalat de la Cour - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2019

Duc_et_Pair 04-28-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 (Post 2215385)
I do think the King and Queen will attend the funeral alongside Princess Beatrix.
They won't perhaps make it to the reception at the Palace afterwards but when they will attend just the churchservice, there will be enough time to be back in Amsterdam late afternoon.

The State Funeral starts at 11.00 o'clock so the King and Queen Máxima can make it but attending a funeral under a tight time schedule is never optimal.
My guess is that Princess Beatrix, accompanied by her nephew the Duke of Parma, will attend.

Or

Arrival by royal plane:
- The King
- Queen Máxima
- Princess Beatrix
- The Duke of Parma

Directly leaving by royal plane after the funeral:
- The King
- Queen Máxima

Staying for lunch and leaving by royal limousines back to the Netherlands:
- Princess Beatrix
- The Duke of Parma

Stefan 04-28-2019 10:43 AM

Some pictures from today when the coffin of the late Grand Duke was brought in a cortege from Berg Castle to the Paleis in Luxembourg

https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1339204.html

Arivval at the Grand Ducal Palace
https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...93253536899074
https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...84370659581959

tommy100 04-28-2019 11:05 AM

There are some pictures and a video of the cortege leaving Berg Castle here
https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1339204.html

Moonmaiden23 04-28-2019 11:48 AM

I thought HRH passed away at his own residence, Fischbach Castle, or in a hospital.

But it seems he died at Colmar-Berg.

eya 04-28-2019 11:57 AM

More pictures from today

https://www.wort.lu/de/lokales/gross...2cc1784e342ffc

https://www.tageblatt.lu/headlines/di...tadt-gebracht/

Duc_et_Pair 04-28-2019 12:19 PM

Nice tributes in wet weather. That Letzebuergisch sounds very much like the local dialect spoken in Dutch Maastricht and German Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle), both close to the Grand-Duchy. Especially the "sound palette".

Stefan 04-28-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2215464)
I thought HRH passed away at his own residence, Fischbach Castle, or in a hospital.

But it seems he died at Colmar-Berg.

It wasn't announced where he died but probably in a hospital as he was the becase of pneumonie. Probably he was then brought to Berg Castle so that the Family could say goodbye to him in private there.

wartenberg7 04-28-2019 01:08 PM

Who do you think will represent from Norway? My guess would be Queen Sonja.

By the way, is this an exception being made that a former head of state is granted a state funeral or is this common excercise? I thought only current, active heads of state are given a state funeral...?

mybags 04-28-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2215478)

By the way, is this an exception being made that a former head of state is granted a state funeral or is this common excercise? I thought only current, active heads of state are given a state funeral...?

The Norwegian Royal family will be represented by King Harald, Queen Sonja, and Princess Astrid.

Duc_et_Pair 04-28-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2215478)

A State Funeral formally means that the State organizes and pays for it. It happens pretty often, for an example for military who died in service. But also for a Margaret Thatcher.

The funerals of Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana of the Netherlands were, despite all the massive participation and grand ceremonials, no State Funerals, as it were organized and paid for by the royal family. But that was an own choice, not because the State was unwilling or so.

The Belgian King Leopold III however was given a State Funeral indeed. His brother Prince Charles, who was for years de facto the head of state, was not given a State Funeral.

Fürstin Taxis 04-28-2019 02:16 PM

First of all, may he rest in peace. I had kinda hoped he could reach 100 and see a celebration of this milestone. But it was not meant to be and 98 is impressive, to watch your children grow, them having children and look back on a rich life. He is now reunited with his beloved ones :thistle:
https://i.imgur.com/tZwNz8T.png

Blog Real 04-28-2019 02:41 PM

Who will represent the Spanish Royal Family at the funeral?

Duc_et_Pair 04-28-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog Real (Post 2215503)
Who will represent the Spanish Royal Family at the funeral?

My best bet is Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía.

Biri 04-28-2019 03:26 PM

I wonder if some military song will be played (commemomorating the fact that the Grand Duke Jean was a soldier)

An Ard Ri 04-28-2019 04:05 PM

The Empress Farah Pahlavi is a stalwart attendee at Royal Funerals I'd be very surprised not to see her present.

HereditaryPrincess 04-28-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2215246)
Princess Anne was likely choosen this time as she knew GD Jean very well since they worked closely together for a decade in the International Olympic Comittee.

Interesting, I didn't know that Anne had a personal friendship with GD Jean. It makes sense now for her to be the British representative.

eya 04-29-2019 08:32 AM

Grand Duke Jean has been laid out in the palace since Sunday.
And today 29 April , members of the Parliament , Government , municipality of the Luxembourg and other authorities pay their respects to the Grand Duke Jean.

https://www.wort.lu/de/lokales/insti...2cc1784e3430e7

And the people pay their respects as well

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Ue05xXoAE63FS.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Ue052WwAAh-wu.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Ue056WsAAZJb4.jpg

LadyFinn 04-29-2019 10:58 AM

King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend the funeral.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Seraphim ringing to H.R.H Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
H.R.H. Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg died on April 23, 2019. The Grand Duke, who was the knight of The Order of the Seraphim, will be honored on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at. 12:00 - 13:00 with seraphim ringing in Riddarholm Church.
Serafimerringning för H.K.H. Storhertig Jean av Luxemburg - Sveriges Kungahus

Hans-Rickard 04-29-2019 12:42 PM

So what we know about the attendance so far...

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal

Denmark / Greece -
H.M The Queen
H.M Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
More members likely to attend

Romania -
H.M Margarita The Custodian of the Crown.
H.R.H Prince Radu.

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

House of Braganza -
H.R.H Duke Duarte Pio and his family

The Dutch and Spanish Royal Families have so far not announced who will attend.

The Princely families of Lichtenstein and Monaco have also not announced attendance but Lichtenstein will definitely be there as GD Jean's daughter Princess Margaretha is married to Prince Nikolaus, brother of Fürst Hans Adam II.

The Jordanian and Thai Royal Families and the Japanese Imperial Family have also not announced if they will send someone. The ongoing Coronation in Thailand may stop the Thai Royal Family from sending someone and the senior members of the Japanese Imperial family is to greet the public on that day after the accession of the new Emperor and Empress.

Benjamin 04-29-2019 07:07 PM

Prince Rafael of Orléans-Bragança, living in London, will represent the Head of the Brazilian Imperial family, his uncle Prince Luíz Gastão.

Rafael's aunt the Princess of Ligne will also attend.

eya 04-30-2019 07:36 AM

Princess Beatrix from Netherland

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/agenda...-van-luxemburg

From Belgium confirmation for King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert, Queen Paola, Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, Prince Laurent and Princess Lea.

Also confirm their presence Prince Carlos, Duke of Parma with his wife Princess Annemarie.

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 07:42 AM

Large turnout from the Netherlands and Belgium minus Princess Claire which is becoming a given of late.

rominet09 04-30-2019 08:03 AM

Will it be broadcast live in Luxemburg and Belgium ????

Marengo 04-30-2019 08:03 AM

How odd that the king and queen are not going to the funeral of a (former) Benelux co-monarch and the head of the other branch of the Nassau family. Grand Duke Jean was a regular guest at major Dutch weddings and funerals. But of course Queen Beatrix will have known him best.

It seems that Princess Esmeralda is not able to make it to her brother-in-law's funeral. Did she attend the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte?

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 08:29 AM

Princess Beatrix attended also queen Fabiola's funeral and is a perfect choice as when the King and Queen have other engagements.

Tatiana Maria 04-30-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 (Post 2215389)

Some event details from Luxarazzi
Open Post About the Funeral Arrangements for Grand Duke Jean
Grand Duke Jean to Lie in State, Public Invited to Attend Funeral

Duc_et_Pair 04-30-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2216058)
How odd that the king and queen are not going to the funeral of a (former) Benelux co-monarch and the head of the other branch of the Nassau family. Grand Duke Jean was a regular guest at major Dutch weddings and funerals. But of course Queen Beatrix will have known him best.

It seems that Princess Esmeralda is not able to make it to her brother-in-law's funeral. Did she attend the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte?

Around 17.30 the King and Queen Máxima are expected at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. Around 18.00 the members of the Comité 4 and 5 May as well other authorities are welcomed in the Royal Palace. At 18.30 the National Remembrance starts, culminating in the wreathlaying at 20.00 o'clock.

It is not impossible to do both the State Funeral in Luxembourg and the National Remembrance in Amsterdam, but I understand the choice for Princess Beatrix, the Duke and the Duchess of Parma. With this the former head of the House of Orange-Nassau plus the head of the House Bourbon-Parma go to the State Funeral. And no stress about a tight time schedule.

Marengo 04-30-2019 10:29 AM

I suppose you are right & it would be a tight schedule. The national remembrance is one of the most important events of the year so a risk of running late is perhaps best avoided.

Lumutqueen 04-30-2019 01:28 PM

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are also attending with The Princess Royal.

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2216220)
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester are also attending with The Princess Royal.

The British RF will be well represented at the funeral.

Hans-Rickard 04-30-2019 02:44 PM

Looks like the royal guest list will be

The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H The Duchess of Brabant
H.I.R.H Princess Astrid Archduchess of Austria-Este
H.I.R.H Prince Lorentz Archduke of Austria-Este
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.R.H Princess Margaretha (GD Jeans youngest daughter)
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent
H.R.H The Hereditary Princess

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -
H.S.H The Sovereign Prince

Netherlands / House of Bourbon Parma -
H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma
H.R.H The Duchess of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal
H.R.H The Duke of Gloucester
H.R.H The Duchess of Gloucester

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.M Margarita The Custodian of the Crown
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -
H.R.H The Duke of Braganza and his family

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

House of Bourbon -
Louis Alphonse Duke of Anjou

And ofcourse GD Jeans nieces and nephews and their families

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 02:49 PM

Prince Albert II of Monaco attending on his own again no real surprise there .

Stefan 04-30-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2216249)

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -

H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

My guess is that also several german noble's like the Duke of Bavaria, The Duke and Duchess in Bavaria etc will attend.

Blog Real 04-30-2019 03:13 PM

I hope there will also be members of the Royal Families of Germany and Bulgaria. I am happy that all the royal families reigning in Europe will be represented.

Hans-Rickard 04-30-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2216257)
My guess is that also several german noble's like the Duke of Bavaria, The Duke and Duchess in Bavaria etc will attend.

Most likely. And perhaps also Karl Von Habsburg and/or members from his family. His grandmother Empress Zita and Grand Duke Jeans father Prince Felix were siblings...

Moonmaiden23 04-30-2019 03:39 PM

That's really quite an impressive guest list, and I am certain it's not even complete.

I was surprised to read that the 17 year old Duchess of Brabant is accompanying her parents. I had thought she was back at school in Wales?

Hans-Rickard 04-30-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2216285)
That's really quite an impressive guest list, and I am certain it's not even complete.

I was surprised to read that the 17 year old Duchess of Brabant is accompanying her parents. I had thought she was back at school in Wales?

As the funeral is held on a Saturday, she may be available over the day or the weekend.

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2216298)
As the funeral is held on a Saturday, she may be available over the day or the weekend.

Its also the May Bank Holiday weekend in UK/Eire so a 3 day weekend.

Stefan 04-30-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2216271)
Most likely. And perhaps also Karl Von Habsburg and/or members from his family. His grandmother Empress Zita and Grand Duke Jeans father Prince Felix were siblings...

Pretty sure that from the Habsburgs at last the mother and the siblings of Archduke Carl Christian will attend. But likely more. No Idea if AD Karl will be invited as he did not attend the wedding in 2012. There where members of all the younger sons of Emperor Karl but only the Otto line was not represented then.

sophie25 04-30-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2216251)
Prince Albert II of Monaco attending on his own again no real surprise there .

It's embarrassing. What on Earth is wrong with Charlene that she can't EVER mix with other royals?

Tatiana Maria 04-30-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -

H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

Thank you for compiling this guestlist. :flowers:

Belgium - Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz are HRH rather than HIRH. A recent example from the Belgian monarchy's homepage:

Concours Reine Elisabeth – Violon 2019
30 avril 2019 (Jour entier) - 06 juin 2019 (Jour entier)

[…]

Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz assisteront à une session de la finale le vendredi 24 mai 2019 au Palais des Beaux-Arts de Bruxelles.

https://www.monarchie.be/fr/agenda/c...th-violon-2019

(Translation: Their Royal Highnesses Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz will attend a session of the finals of the finals on Friday, May 24 at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels.)

Denmark/Greece - Anne-Marie would be representing Denmark only, as Greece stripped their former royal family of their status and considers them to be private citizens.

JR76 04-30-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2216316)
Thank you for compiling this guestlist. :flowers:

Belgium - Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz are HRH rather than HIRH. A recent example from the Belgian monarchy's homepage:

[…]

Leurs Altesses Royales la Princesse Astrid et le Prince Lorenz assisteront à une session de la finale le vendredi 24 mai 2019 au Palais des Beaux-Arts de Bruxelles.

(Translation: Their Royal Highnesses Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz will attend a session of the finals of the finals on Friday, May 24 at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels.)

Denmark/Greece - Anne-Marie would be representing Denmark only, as Greece stripped their former royal family of their status and considers them to be private citizens.

Queen Anne-Marie would be there as a representative of the Royal House of Greece not as a representative of Denmark.

Tatiana Maria 04-30-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2216317)
Queen Anne-Marie would be there as a representative of the Royal House of Greece not as a representative of Denmark.

That may be her point of view. The point I was trying to make was that only Denmark, not Greece, recognizes her husband's house as "Royal".

To add to my previous comment, the Belgian crown princess is known as HRH Princess Elisabeth or HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. https://www.monarchie.be/en/royal-fa...ess-of-brabant

eya 04-30-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Belgium -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen
H.M King Albert II
H.M Queen Paola
H.R.H Prince Laurent
H.R.H Princess Lea

Lichtenstein -
H.S.H Prince Nikolaus
Their three children
H.S.H The Prince Regent

Denmark / Greece -
H.M Queen Margrethe II
H.M Queen Anne-Marie

Jordan -
H.R.H Prince Hassan
H.R.H Princess Sarvath
H.R.H Prince Rashid
H.R.H Princess Badi'a

Monaco -

H.R.H Princess Beatrix
H.R.H The Duke of Parma

Norway -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

Sweden -
H.M The King
H.M The Queen

United Kingdom -
H.R.H The Princess Royal

Spain -
H.M King Juan Carlos
H.M Queen Sofia

Romania -
H.R.H Prince Radu

Portugal -

Brazil -
Prince Rafael

House of D'Orleans -
Jean Count of Paris

Thanks Hans-Rickard!

And add to the list and Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou:

"Louis de Bourbon, Duc d’Anjou

@louisducdanjou

J'assisterai aux funérailles d'État de mon cousin, le Grand-Duc Jean de Luxembourg et le confie à vos prières ainsi que sa famille."

"I will attend the state funeral of my cousin, Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, and entrust him to your prayers and his family."

tommy100 04-30-2019 05:34 PM

Has it been confirmed that the Gloucesters are attending along with Anne for the UK?

A very impressive turn out which doesn't surprise me given Jean's character.

Hans-Rickard 04-30-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2216319)
That may be her point of view. The point I was trying to make was that only Denmark, not Greece, recognizes her husband's house as "Royal".

To add to my previous comment, the Belgian crown princess is known as HRH Princess Elisabeth or HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. https://www.monarchie.be/en/royal-fa...ess-of-brabant

Queen Anne-Marie is representing the titular Greek Royal Family. Not the State of Greece. No one recognizes Greece as a monarchy because they are not. They are titular royals since 1974 like the german Royal families.

Anne-Marie's official title according to her danish Diplomatic passport is H.M Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. And all foreign states except Greece recognizes her as such. That doesn't mean any foreign state is recognizing her as the first lady of Greece.

She is born a Princess of Denmark but since her marriage, she is no longer a part of the danish royal family and not considered as an official representant of Denmark. If you look at the official guest list at the website of the Grand Ducal Court, you'll see that i am right. Only Queen Margrethe II represents the State of Denmark.

Somebody 04-30-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

I'd say that point of view is shared by the Luxembourg grand ducal family. She hasn't been invited to represent the country of Denmark but to represent the Greek royal family. Just like other non-reigning royal houses send their representatives.

Stefan 04-30-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2216332)
Has it been confirmed that the Gloucesters are attending along with Anne for the UK?

A very impressive turn out which doesn't surprise me given Jean's character.

Yes there are oin a list of confirmed guests which was released by the Grand Ducal Court earlier today.

I see they have downgraded the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein from a Royal Highness to a Serene Highness.

Messe des funérailles de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc Jean : La liste des Familles royales régnantes confirmée - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2019

An Ard Ri 04-30-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2216337)
Yes there are oin a list of confirmed guests which was released by the Grand Ducal Court earlier today.

I see they have downgraded the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein from a Royal Highness to a Serene Highness.

Messe des funérailles de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc Jean : La liste des Familles royales régnantes confirmée - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2019

Nice to see H.H. Princess Astrid of Norway will be attending too.

tommy100 04-30-2019 06:14 PM

Ah thank you, I didn't realise the Cour had released a list already.

Tatiana Maria 04-30-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2216333)
Queen Anne-Marie is representing the titular Greek Royal Family. Not the State of Greece. No one recognizes Greece as a monarchy because they are not. They are titular royals since 1974 like the german Royal families.

Anne-Marie's official title according to her danish Diplomatic passport is H.M Queen Anne-Marie of Greece. And all foreign states except Greece recognizes her as such. That doesn't mean any foreign state is recognizing her as the first lady of Greece.

She is born a Princess of Denmark but since her marriage, she is no longer a part of the danish royal family and not considered as an official representant of Denmark. If you look at the official guest list at the website of the Grand Ducal Court, you'll see that i am right. Only Queen Margrethe II represents the State of Denmark.

Thank you for the clarification. I apologize if I misinterpreted what you meant by "Greece". :flowers:

A significant distinction between the situations of the former royal families of Germany and Greece is that Germany although a republic recognizes royal titles (although they are deemed to be merely surnames for official purposes), whereas Greece does not. As you and Somebody pointed out, the courts of reigning monarchies tend to recognize royal houses which have been abolished, but it seems unlikely that all foreign states except for Greece consider them as such - there surely are at least some republics which would be more likely to recognize the laws of the State of Greece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2216316)

[…]

The official guest list from the grand-ducal court also lists Astrid and Lorenz as "Their Royal Highnesses".

crm2317 04-30-2019 06:57 PM

A poster has listed the Duchess of Brabant as attending however she is not listed on the Cour guest list

tommy100 04-30-2019 07:00 PM

Is she not the Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth listed?

Tatiana Maria 04-30-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crm2317 (Post 2216359)
A poster has listed the Duchess of Brabant as attending however she is not listed on the Cour guest list

She is the last name listed under Belgium, probably because she is a minor: Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Elisabeth. ("Duchess of Brabant" is seldom used.)

Somebody 04-30-2019 07:58 PM

They are rather inconsistent in their listing. In some cases they add what they are a king/queen/prince(ss) of and in other cases they don't. For example: for Norway it's just 'the king and queen', while for Belgium and Sweden the country/people are included. In the case of Jordan 'of Jordan' is consistently mentioned while they don't include the 'of X' for most other princesses.

And they decided not to include the non-reigning royal families in the list. That's probably the easiest distinction as it would be harder to decide who to include and who to leave out.

Stefan 05-01-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2216357)

The official guest list from the grand-ducal court also lists Astrid and Lorenz as "Their Royal Highnesses".

But that is thje the style the belgian Court always uses for them whereas Sophie is styled HRH by the Liechtenstein Court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2216370)

And they decided not to include the non-reigning royal families in the list. That's probably the easiest distinction as it would be harder to decide who to include and who to leave out.

For the wedding in 2012 the listed the Head of former regning Houses and offical representatives from them on the offical list.

wartenberg7 05-01-2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

It is not only her point of view that Queen Anne-Marie is the representative of her husband´s dynasty which once ruled in Greece - it is a fact. But she´s not the representative of Greece, though.
That counts for most non-reigning houses represented at this funeral, too (The custodian of the romanian crown is the representative of the Roman. Royal House, not of the Republic of Romania, for instance).

eya 05-01-2019 05:13 AM

The post office in Luxembourg City Centre will provide a stamp as a tribute to Grand Duke Jean on 4 May, the day of his burial.

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1341108.html

Tatiana Maria 05-01-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

They are rather inconsistent in their listing. In some cases they add what they are a king/queen/prince(ss) of and in other cases they don't. For example: for Norway it's just 'the king and queen', while for Belgium and Sweden the country/people are included. In the case of Jordan 'of Jordan' is consistently mentioned while they don't include the 'of X' for most other princesses.

Odd indeed. It would have been a consistent policy either to utilize territorial designations for all guests, or to follow the usual customs per each country. For example, according to Belgian law, Prince Lorenz and Princess Astrid may use the territorial designation "of Belgium" whereas Princess Léa cannot (though she can correctly be addressed as "Princess Alexandre of Belgium" by courtesy). But the court's guestlist does not comply with either consistent approach.

The listed order of precedence of the represented countries is confusing as well. They have not been arranged in alphabetical order, or according to their closeness to the Luxembourg royal house (Norway surely ought not to be higher than the Netherlands in that case), or according to how long their monarchs have been in office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2216449)
It is not only her point of view that Queen Anne-Marie is the representative of her husband´s dynasty which once ruled in Greece - it is a fact. But she´s not the representative of Greece, though.

That counts for most non-reigning houses represented at this funeral, too (The custodian of the romanian crown is the representative of the Roman. Royal House, not of the Republic of Romania, for instance).

We are in agreement. It was your second sentence, on whether she will be representing Greece (the guestlist confirms the fact that she will not), that was the issue to which (I thought) I was responding. The Romanian situation is a bit different as the former reigning family enjoys a recognized status to some degree.

Somebody 05-01-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2216513)
The listed order of precedence of the represented countries is confusing as well. They have not been arranged in alphabetical order, or according to their closeness to the Luxembourg royal house (Norway surely ought not to be higher than the Netherlands in that case), or according to how long their monarchs have been in office.

My take on the order: they started with those sending reigning (or regent) monarchs and spouses in alphebetical order, although it's unclear why Monaco ends up last (other than that he is not bringing his spouse). Then the former monarchs are listed (probably the Netherlands above Spain because of closer ties between the Benelux cou tries), and ending with those countries sending (other) princes and princesses.

Spheno 05-01-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2216533)
My take on the order: they started with those sending reigning (or regent) monarchs and spouses in alphebetical order, although it's unclear why Monaco ends up last (other than that he is not bringing his spouse). Then the former monarchs are listed (probably the Netherlands above Spain because of closer ties between the Benelux cou tries), and ending with those countries sending (other) princes and princesses.

Albert is only a prince, not king.

Stefan 05-01-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 2216555)
Albert is only a prince, not king.

But that are the Liechtensteinseins too. And Alois is not yet the reigning Prince but the Hereditary Prince and Regent.

WillVictoria 05-01-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2216567)
But that are the Liechtensteinseins too. And Alois is not yet the reigning Prince but the Hereditary Prince and Regent.

Liechtenstein potentially got moved up due to the family connections between the two (namely one of the representatives from Liechtenstein being Jean's daughter)

Duc_et_Pair 05-01-2019 02:52 PM

Usually it is heads of state in order of anciennity.
Then former heads of state in order of anciennity.
Then heirs in order of anciennity.
Royals representing a reigning House in order of anciennity
Former reiging families in order of anciennity.

So the normal order should be

HEADS OF STATE
Sa Majesté la Reine de Danemark (1972)
Leurs Majestés le Roi et la Reine de Suède (1973)
Leurs Majestés le Roi et la Reine de Norvège (1991)
Son Altesse Sérénissime le Prince de Monaco (2005)
Leurs Majestés le Roi et la Reine des Belges (2013)

FORMER HEADS OF STATE
Sa Majesté la Reine Anne-Marie de Grèce (1973)
Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Beatrix des Pays-Bas (2013)
Leurs Majestés le Roi Albert II et la Reine Paola des Belges (2013)
Leurs Majestés le Roi Juan Carlos et la Reine Sofía d'Espagne (2014)

HEIRS
Leurs Altesses Sérénissimes le Prince Héritier et la Princesse Héritière de Liechtenstein (1989)
Son Altesse Royale la Duchesse de Brabant (2013)

ROYALS OF REIGNING HOUSES
Son Altesse Royale la Princesse-Royale (1952)
Leurs Altesses Royale le Duc et la Duchesse de Gloucester (1952)
Son Altesse la Princesse Astrid de Norvège (1991)
Leurs Altesses Royales le Prince Hassan et la Princesse Sarvath de Jordanie (1999)
Son Altesse Royale le Prince Rashid de Jordanie (1991)
Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Basma'a de Jordanie (1991)
Leurs Altesses Royales le Prince Lorenz et la Princesse Astrid de Belgique (2013)
Son Altesse Royale le Prince Laurent de Belgique (2013)
Son Altesse Royale la Princesse Léa de Belgique (2013)

FORMER REIGNING HOUSES
Son Altesse Royale le Prince Louis-Alphonse de Bourbon (1989)
Leurs Altesses Royales le Duc et la Duchesse de Parme (2010)
Sa Majesté Margareta et Son Altesse Royale le Prince Radu de Roumanie (2017)
Son Altesse Royale le Prince Jean d'Orléans (2018)

Etc.

An Ard Ri 05-01-2019 03:34 PM

Has the Empress Farah confirmed her attendance or anyone from the Japanese Imperial Family?

Stefan 05-01-2019 04:32 PM

Louis -Alphonso de Bourbon, Duke of Anjou will attend.

https://www.legitimite.fr/single-post/2019/04/30/Communiqué-de-Mgr-Louis-de-Bourbon-Duc-dAnjou?fbclid=IwAR3WSHY4bJKm3OnJwDqiUQoYoyz7jb4-HaUkEb6dY0xhNWcCAt5RIIuqhrw

Al_bina 05-01-2019 04:54 PM

Thanks for the updates and information!:flowers:

Hopefully Princess Takamado will be dispatched to represent the Imperial House.

Mbruno 05-02-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

The link said “ list of confirmed reigning royal families”, so it is understandable that non-reigning royals were not listed. Maybe they will publish a full guest list later.

Is any Head of State of an European republic attending the funeral ? If GD Jean were a sitting Head of State, there might.be, as was the case at King Baudouin’s funeral, but , since he was only a former Head of State, I don’t think so.

I am disappointed there is no confirmed representation from Japan, but I suppose that is understandable given the new Emoeror’s accession.

Stefan 05-02-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2216851)
Is any Head of State of an European republic attending the funeral ? If GD Jean were a sitting Head of State, there might.be, as was the case at King Baudouin’s funeral, but , since he was only a former Head of State, I don’t think so.

Notz an acting Head of State but from Germany former President Joachim Gauck is coming.

Joachim Gauck erweist Großherzog die letzte Ehre

Duc_et_Pair 05-02-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2214853)
And the Prince Jean, Count of Paris confirm his presence at the funeral:

"J'ai été attristé par la mort du grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg, mon cousin. C'était un monarque courageux qui a grandement contribué à libérer son pays en septembre 1944.
Je serai présent lors de ses funérailles le 4 mai à Luxembourg. Je le confie à vos prières ainsi que sa famille, notamment le grand-duc Henri."

The "mon cousin" here is usual in correspondance between heads of royal houses.
See the correspondence of King George VI to Queen Wilhelmina regarding the Belgian royal family:

26 March 1945
"Dear cousin Wilhelmina… I am very interested to hear that cousin Elisabeth spoke to you about Leopold [no cousin here?] and the children. As you say, we can never strike that bargain with the Germans but I feel there must be some other way of getting him free."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48104258

Hendrik-Jan77 05-03-2019 08:39 AM

Does anyone know which television channels will broadcast the funeral?

fandesacs2003 05-03-2019 09:10 AM

I just realized that young princess Elisabeth from Belgium will also attend. Should be an official premiere for her.

Mbruno 05-03-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 (Post 2217131)
I just realized that young princess Elisabeth from Belgium will also attend. Should be an official premiere for her.

Grand Duke Jean was her grand uncle, so there is a family connection that justifies Elisabeth's attendance. Having said that, the fact that she is attending, but her younger siblings are not, suggests some connection wih her position as the heir to the throne. As Elisabeth is not 18 yet, I wouldn't expect her to represent her country abroad in an official capacity so soon.

Duc_et_Pair 05-03-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2217133)
Grand Duke Jean was her grand uncle, so there is a family connection that justifies Elisabeth's attendance. Having said that, the fact that she is attending, but her younger siblings are not, suggests some connection wih her position as the heir to the throne. As Elisabeth is not 18 yet, I wouldn't expect her to represent her country abroad in an official capacity so soon.

She will remain low key for the years to come. Recently her father made known he does not want his daughter to receive an allowance when she becomes 18 in October. This because it would bring pressure on the Princess. The King wishes his daughter a focus on her studies and her free life as long as possible.

With this in mind, the attendance of Princess Élisabeth at this funeral indeed must be seen as familial.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 (Post 2217122)
Does anyone know which television channels will broadcast the funeral?

Just browse to rtl.lu for a livestream. When you have a smart tv and fast ethernet, you can see it on your wide screen in HD, as well. Maybe EuroNews will broadcast a "No Comment" (the entire broadcast without any voice-over).

eya 05-03-2019 01:05 PM

Hereditary Grand Duke attended the solemn commemoration in honor of Grand Duke Jean, which took place in the Chamber of Deputies today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5pyPzbW4AM4Iwd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5pyPz8WkAAKCk-.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5pyP0KXsAAsc1C.jpg

Grand Duke Henri and his family at the Luxembourg cathedral to see the preperations

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5p7kW7X4AUSapv.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5p7kW4XkAANc9K.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svQtGCtsBo

eya 05-04-2019 05:11 AM

Live Links for the funeral today

https://www.rtl.lu/tele/live

https://t.co/xUwSmaLLWH

Galleries from the funeral today

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/10227983

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/ur...alproducts=all

https://www.wort.lu/de/lokales/adel-...2cc1784e343685

https://www.profimedia.cz/similar/430794202

LadyFinn 05-04-2019 05:34 AM

An update to the website of the swedish royal court this morning, according to it only king Carl Gustaf attends the funeral.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Personal message of His Royal Highness the Grand Duke on the occasion of the funeral of his father.
Message personnel de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2019

Gallery
Belga Image

Yashal 05-04-2019 06:15 AM

So nice to see all those boy and girl scouts in the streets of Luxembourg City.

Mbruno 05-04-2019 06:36 AM

Interesting , the Count of Paris is listed as “ His Royal Highnesss”, but as the head of the House of “ Paris” ? Meanwhile, the Duke of Anjou is not referred to as “ Royal Highness”, but as the Head of the House of Bourbon. Neither is listed as the Head of the “ House of France” .

Anyway, what an impressive list of guests !

Biri 05-04-2019 06:41 AM

Beautiful this French song currently sung by the choir!
Anyone knows the lyrics?

Marchesina 05-04-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2217441)
Beautiful this French song currently sung by the choir!
Anyone knows the lyrics?

The song sung after the first reading by Archduchess Marie Astrid is called Céleste Jérusalem, you can easily find the lyrics by googling it.

An Ard Ri 05-04-2019 07:08 AM

Prince Albert II of Monaco arrives alone yet again.

rominet09 05-04-2019 07:28 AM

I'm just watching it…. very Moving….impressive to see all these Royals paying homage.

Biri 05-04-2019 07:29 AM

Oh, Irish Guards now playing!

Beautiful melody!

And now "Abide with me"