The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/death-and-funeral-of-grand-duke-jean-april-23-and-may-4-2019-a-46308.html)

Alisa 04-23-2019 12:43 AM

Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

My sympathies to the royal family and the people of Luxembourg....

Official announcement:

Message de Son Altesse Royale le Grand-Duc - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2019

In English:

"It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death of my beloved father, His Royal Highness Grand Duke John, who has left us in peace, surrounded by the affection of his family."

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg

HMQueenElizabethII 04-23-2019 12:58 AM

Very sad and devastating news even though as expected. I have been keeping logged in the Forums every hour since the news of his deteriorating condition in hope for a miracle. May he rest in peace and my utmost thoughts are with the entire Grand Ducal family during this difficult time.

stellad 04-23-2019 01:00 AM

Very sad news indeed. My mother-in-law went into hospital for the same complaint 3 weeks ago and passed away last week. Same age as the Grand Duke.

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2019 01:07 AM

I had an eerie feeling that he was gone just now, so I signed onto TRF and sure enough.

The end of a long, amazing life. RIP, Soldier Prince.

Lee-Z 04-23-2019 01:10 AM

Condoleances to his family, may he rest in peace...

JR76 04-23-2019 01:38 AM

May he rest in peace.

Dman 04-23-2019 01:38 AM

May the Grand Duke Rest In Peace and my condolences to the royal Ducal family of Luxembourg.

eya 04-23-2019 01:41 AM

May he rest in peace and my condoleances to his family.

carina_a 04-23-2019 01:43 AM

I've been preparing for this sad news for a couple days...

Rest in peace.

Prisma 04-23-2019 01:44 AM

May he rest in peace. Condolences and sympathies to the GDF and his friends.

iceflower 04-23-2019 01:47 AM

How sad. May he rest in peace.

suztav 04-23-2019 01:54 AM

May he Rest In Peace

SLV 04-23-2019 02:09 AM

My condolences to the Family. And rest for the Grand-Duke.

lucien 04-23-2019 02:50 AM

R.I.P.

He has come to rest after a long and fullfilling life.

Stefan 04-23-2019 02:55 AM

Sad news but after Sunday's announcement expected. May he rest in peace.
He died at 6.01 CEST this moring
https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1...sC47fOHwQjJcLw

Stefan 04-23-2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2213865)
Sad news but after Sunday's announcement expected. May he rest in peace.
He died at 6.01 CEST this moring
https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1...sC47fOHwQjJcLw

Obviosuly this tiome is wrong as that was the time the sad News was released.

Stefan 04-23-2019 03:28 AM

The State funeral will take place on Saturday 04. May at the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

lucien 04-23-2019 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2213869)
The State funeral will take place on Saturday 04. May at the Cathedral of Luxemboiurg.

At 11.00 AM

An Ard Ri 04-23-2019 03:55 AM

May he rest in peace :easter:

MAfan 04-23-2019 05:24 AM

A sad news, though not entirely unexpected.
May he rest in peace.

Mbruno 04-23-2019 05:32 AM

A great and noble Prince who served his country well. May he rest in peace.

Blog Real 04-23-2019 06:02 AM

What sad news. He died one of the most important people of European royalty.

Stefan 04-23-2019 06:05 AM

Lots of Videos about the life of Grand Duke Jean and his life here: https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1280479.html

maria-olivia 04-23-2019 06:10 AM

Luxembourg lost his beloved Drand Duke who lived nearly a Century.
He still attend Events shortly before his death as the Funerals of his sister Alix de Ligne.
With his Mother the Grabd Duchess Charlotte , they were luxembourg greatest Monarchs.
May He rest in peace , he will never be forgotten in his Country.

RoyalHighness 2002 04-23-2019 06:37 AM

Rest in peace Your Royal Highness, you will be greatly missed.

An Ard Ri 04-23-2019 06:41 AM

A nice collection of photos of the late Grand Duc (1921-2019)

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...04-2019%20File

Alisa 04-23-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stellad (Post 2213842)
Very sad news indeed. My mother-in-law went into hospital for the same complaint 3 weeks ago and passed away last week. Same age as the Grand Duke.

Oh..my condolences to you.

stellad 04-23-2019 07:11 AM

Thank you Alisa.

rominet09 04-23-2019 07:14 AM

Not really unexpected, may he rest in peace.

Hans-Rickard 04-23-2019 07:19 AM

Rest In Peace Your Royal Highness and thank your for a long and well lived live of service and duty.

Tatiana Maria 04-23-2019 07:40 AM

Condolences to the people of Luxembourg on the passing of their former Grand Duke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2213869)
The State funeral will take place on Saturday 04. May at the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

When was the last State Funeral in Luxembourg?

Have any online obituaries been published? I hope to read more about his life and reign; he seems to have lived through tremendous transitions in Luxembourg.

Stefan 04-23-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2213921)

When was the last State Funeral in Luxembourg?

Don't know if the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte was an official State Funeral. If not it would be the one of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985.

maria-olivia 04-23-2019 08:48 AM

Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte had a State Funeral as Consort.

Grand Duke Jean was already in the Cathedral. On the first row King Albert II , Queens Paola and Queen Fabiola and on the second row her Children.

Blog Real 04-23-2019 08:58 AM

Information:
The state funeral will take place on Saturday, May 4, at 11am at the Cathédral Notre-Dame.
Luxembourg will observe a national period of morning until May 4 at 6pm. All flags have been lowered to half-mast.

The government met today at 10am to observe a minute of silence and discuss the plans for the coming days.

At 12pm, Grand Duke Henri and Prime Minister Xavier Bettel met at Château de Berg.
At 12.15pm, the bells of all the Catholic churches in Luxembourg rang for 15 minutes in honour of Grand Duke Jean.

Today's parliamentary session in Luxembourg as well as several press conferences by the government and other organisations in the Grand Duchy have been postponed.

Later today (Tuesday) will see the removal of Grand Duke Jean's banner as a Knight of the Garter in St. George's Chapel, Windsor. The same will happen for the Order of the Seraphim in Stockholm after the funeral.

On Saturday, April 27, at 5pm the Archbishop of Luxembourg Jean-Claude Hollerich will celebrate a special mass in honour of Grand Duke Jean. All Catholic parishes in the Grand Duchy are asked to keep the former Grand Duke in their prayers this weekend.

Source: Luxarazzi

kathia_sophia 04-23-2019 09:07 AM

May he rest in peace. He was a very remarkable man.

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2019 09:12 AM

Did he pass away at his residence, or was he in hospital?

Barbara21 04-23-2019 09:21 AM

Sad, but not unexpected news.
He was a very remarkable man, one of my favorite royals. He is one of the reasons, why i follow Grand Ducal Family.

Countessmeout 04-23-2019 09:23 AM

RIP to a great man. He served his country for decades with honor and strength. His presence will be missed by so many. Inspiration to all.

It was expected but still such sad news to wake up to before work. Glad he was surrounded by his loved ones. Sad year for the family, losing both him and Alix. One sibling left in the family. Reunited with his wife finally, and all those who have gone before him.

dbarn67 04-23-2019 09:30 AM

RIP and condolences to the Luxembourg Grand Ducal family.

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2019 09:31 AM

I read on Twitter that as a member of the Order of The Garter, his banner will be removed from St. George's Chapel today?

I hadn't realized that was the customary thing to when a member of the Order dies.

Lumutqueen 04-23-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2213973)
I read on Twitter that as a member of the Order of The Garter, his banner will be removed from St. George's Chapel today?

I hadn't realized that was the customary thing to when a member of the Order dies.

It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

Kingen 04-23-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2213977)
It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

When it comes to the Order of the Seraphim this transfer takes place on the day of the funeral. Then, will the coat of arms be taken in procession from the Royal Palace to the Riddarholmen Church where a short ceremony will be held and the the bells of the church will ring for one hour, a so called Seraphim ringing (Serafimerringning).

Moonmaiden23 04-23-2019 09:54 AM

:previous: Sounds very moving...thank you!

polyesco 04-23-2019 11:59 AM

From the Belgium Royal Family
https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/stat...628800/photo/1

and the Dutch Royals
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actuee...-van-luxemburg

An Ard Ri 04-23-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 2214046)

Both Royal Houses were the closest to the Grand Ducal Family nice to see the ties are still there.

Blog Real 04-23-2019 04:06 PM

The Belgian royal family has always been very close to the Grand Duke. King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert II and Princess Astrid arrived this afternoon in Luxembourg for a private visit.
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/705421.aspx

Somebody 04-23-2019 04:23 PM

The Dutch message felt more personal to me but I assume the more personal feelings regarding the passing of their brother-in-law and uncle will have been shared in person by the Belgian royals.

HereditaryPrincess 04-23-2019 05:24 PM

Very sad, but expected news. May Grand Duke Jean rest in peace - he can be united with Josephine Charlotte once more.

Biri 04-23-2019 06:30 PM

The one who always wanted a unity of Europe of whose freedom from Nazism he had fought with so many who had already left us...

The one under whose rule his country was transformed into a global financial centre...

The one who was blessed with over 40 descendants...

After the festivity which symbolizes a Christian hope for eternal life went to the Eternal Father's Home:easter:where there is no pain, no suffering, no tears...

May his memory be honoured!

JulieS 04-23-2019 06:50 PM

May he rest in peace

Prisma 04-25-2019 12:14 AM

On April 25th, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the Luxembourg Embassy in Tokyo to offer condolences on the passing of Grand Duke Jean. Emperor Akihito first met the late Grand Duke in 1953 when they were both in London for Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

Photos: AP Images, Sankei

fnn.jp video includes footage of Their Majesties with Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHxiT9S3yy4
I wonder who Japan is sending to the funeral... The new emperor and Imperial family are scheduled to greet the public on May 4. Grand Duke Jean is a former head of state so it should be Prince Akishino but IHA may want him on the balcony. Perhaps Princess Hisako?

An Ard Ri 04-25-2019 03:21 AM

That was a lovely personal touch from the Emperor and Empress :previous:

Duc_et_Pair 04-25-2019 03:47 AM

Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

SLV 04-25-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214451)
Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

That seems the most likely solution. Princess Beatrix doesn't NEED to be in Amsterdam during the remembrance, the King and Queen do.

Hans-Rickard 04-25-2019 06:56 AM

I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

Rudolph 04-25-2019 07:03 AM

Very sad news to hear of the passing of His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg passing away on Tuesday.

Grand Duke Jean had a huge relationship with the Irish Guards and was Colonel of the Regiment from 1984 to 2000. Quis separabit.

Via Irish Guards Twitter

https://twitter.com/irish_guards/sta...752657408?s=20

Biri 04-25-2019 07:47 AM

I hope they will send their representatives to the funeral.

Stefan 04-25-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214489)
I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

For Thailand i agree but in Japan there the cermonies are over and only a Balcony appearance takes place that day. Perhaps someone like Princess Takamado could miss that one and go instead to Luxembourg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214451)

Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

Duc_et_Pair 04-25-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2214559)
Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort

Stefan 04-25-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214572)
HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort

Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.

polyesco 04-25-2019 01:49 PM

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert and Queen Paola go to Luxembourg on 4 May for the funeral of Grand Duke Jean, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...25004221075456

Duc_et_Pair 04-25-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2214583)
Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.

Prince Bernhard once stated in an interview that he disliked funerals to the deepest. Even for funerals of good friends he tried to send a representative if possible. The Prince made clear that for no any friend this attitude would be a surprise as they knew his feelings about it.

Moonmaiden23 04-25-2019 02:52 PM

:previous: Well...I don't know any mentally balanced person who LIKES funerals. ..ones' enjoyment of the event is really not the point...:ermm:

Hans-Rickard 04-25-2019 03:03 PM

Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.

Somebody 04-25-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 2214597)
King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert and Queen Paola go to Luxembourg on 4 May for the funeral of Grand Duke Jean, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...25004221075456

I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,

eya 04-25-2019 03:35 PM

The condolence message from Queen Elizabeth to Grand Duke Henri

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5BbiOZXoAAQkLA.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwsLhXRFBMD/

HereditaryPrincess 04-25-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214631)
Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.

Exactly. Perhaps due to past traumatic experiences of a certain event or situation, or the fear of the unknown or whatever other psychological reasoning behind the individual's inability to handle a situation, a lot of people simply cannot deal with events like funerals or situations, as you have mentioned, such as crowded places (it's just like phobias of lifts and other everyday things). I have always had a severe phobia of public speaking, and have refused or been unable to speak on all occasions were I've been asked (which thankfully hasn't been many). And it was probably the same for Bernhard with funerals.

Duc_et_Pair 04-26-2019 03:46 AM

My guess is that the representants from the Dutch royal family will be:

- HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (the former Queen)
- HRH Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma (nephew of Princess Beatrix)

With this the former head of the House Orange-Nassau and the head of the House Bourbon-Parma are attending. As known the late Grand-Duke Jean was a Prince de Nassau as well a Prince de Bourbon de Parme.

Stefan 04-26-2019 05:09 AM

From Norway the King and Queen and Princess Astrid are listed on the Kalendar at kongehuset.no to attend.

An Ard Ri 04-26-2019 06:20 AM

I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

If Spain sends a representative my guess is king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia.

Stefan 04-26-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2214788)
I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

I also think King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are likely from Spain or Queen Sofia alone. Prince Albert attended the funeral of Grand Dcuhess Josphine-Charlotte so i think it is likely that the also attend the one of Grand Duke Jean.

As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.

muriel 04-26-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

It may well be Charles and Camilla.

Tatiana Maria 04-26-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog Real (Post 2214108)
The Belgian royal family has always been very close to the Grand Duke. King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert II and Princess Astrid arrived this afternoon in Luxembourg for a private visit.
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/705421.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2214636)
I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2214053)
Both Royal Houses were the closest to the Grand Ducal Family nice to see the ties are still there.

Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013
Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.

Hans-Rickard 04-26-2019 07:10 AM

No one's listed from Sweden and Denmark so far but i expect The King and Queen of Sweden and The Queen of Denmark to go. They attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and they have nothing else publicly scheduled on 4:th May.
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel is traveling to Vietnam for an official visit starting on Monday 6:th May so they are unlikely to attend.

From Spain Juan Carlos and Sofia or one of them is likely. From Monaco probably Prince Albert. Maybe also Princess Caroline.

UK is impossible to predict. It has usually been The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales who has represented The Queen at funerals but The Duke of York attended the funerals of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte in 2005, The Prince of Monaco in 2005 and The King of Thailand in 2017.
The Duke of Gloucester attended the funeral of The King of Tonga in 2012.

Mbruno 04-26-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2214801)
Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013

I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.

Biri 04-26-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2214791)
It may well be Charles and Camilla.

I think it may be the Duke of York; he also took part in a war (the Falklands war), like Grand Duke Jean;)

Stefan 04-26-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2214809)
I think it may be the Duke of York; he also took part in a war (the Falklands war), like Grand Duke Jean;)

He also attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte in 2005.

Tatiana Maria 04-26-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2214805)
I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.

See the linked official website for the explanation.

Q: Quelle est la différence entre Maison Royale et Famille Royale ?

R: L'expression "Maison Royale" n'est pas utilisée en Belgique. On parle de la "Maison du Roi" pour désigner la Cour.

Tous les descendants de Léopold III et leurs époux légitimes font partie de la Famille Royale. Les membres de la Famille Royale qui exercent des tâches officielles peuvent se voir attribuer une "Maison", ce qui implique qu'ils bénéficient d'un soutien administratif et en personnel séparé au sein de la Cour. Ainsi jusqu'à ce jour existaient la Maison du Roi, la Maison de la Reine Fabiola, la Maison des Ducs de Brabant et la Maison de la Princesse Astrid. Après l'abdication du Roi Albert une Maison du Roi Albert et de la Reine Paola sera créée et la Maison des Ducs de Brabant sera démantelée.

Translation:
Q: What is the difference between the Royal House and the Royal Family?

A: The expression "Royal House" is not utilized in Belgium. One speaks of the "House of the King" to refer to the Court.

All of the descendants of Léopold III and their legitimate spouses are part of the Royal Family. The members of the Royal Family who perform official tasks may be afforded a "House", which reflects that they enjoy administrative support and separate employees within the Court. Until today there existed the House of the King, the House of Queen Fabiola, the House of the Dukes of Brabant and the House of Princess Astrid. Following the abdication of King Albert, a House of King Albert and Queen Paola will be created and the House of the Dukes of Brabant will be eliminated.

ETA: Note that the Belgian Court included "Prince Louis, Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, Princess Marie-Astrid, Princess Maria-Anunciata, Prince Josef-Emmanuel, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla, Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Léopold, Princess Charlotte" in the list of "Members of the Royal Family" attending the memorial mass for King Boudewijn last year.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/e...jden-van-zijne

Osipi 04-26-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2214790)
As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.

Not only those positions but Grand Duke Jean was also a Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter of the UK.

Perhaps William will represent the UK. William is also a Garter Knight and is also Colonel of the Regiment for the Irish Guards. That's my guess anyways. :smile:

suztav 04-26-2019 08:47 AM

I just read that wort.lu is reporting that Princess Anne will represent the Queen.

Duc_et_Pair 04-26-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suztav (Post 2214820)
I just read that wort.lu is reporting that Princess Anne will represent the Queen.

Interesting. The Duke of Cambridge is the current Colonel of the Irish Guards and could have been a representant as well. But The Princess Royal is perfect too, of course. The most senior active royal after The Queen and The Prince of Wales.

Moonmaiden23 04-26-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Not sure about Spain, but Monaco will almost certainly be represented. ..probably by Prince Albert.

Kingen 04-26-2019 09:21 AM

Queen Margrethe and Queen Anne-Marie will be present at the funeral according to the Danish Royal Court.

https://kongehuset.dk/kalender/hm-dro...hertug-jean-af

Hans-Rickard 04-26-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

That would be a good choice. The Princess Royal took part in the State visit from Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte in 1972 and has met them many times. She is also a Regimental Colonel (for Blues & Royals).

Stefan 04-26-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingen (Post 2214831)
Queen Margrethe and Queen Anne-Marie will be present at the funeral according to the Danish Royal Court.

H.M. Dronningen og H.M. Dronning Anne-Marie til stede ved statsbegravelsen af Storhertug Jean af Luxembourg | Kongehuset

It seems Princess Benedike has already a duty that day. Pity that the can not attend all three like they did for the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte.

Hans-Rickard 04-26-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingen (Post 2214831)

H.M. Dronningen og H.M. Dronning Anne-Marie til stede ved statsbegravelsen af Storhertug Jean af Luxembourg | Kongehuset

Interesting that the danish royal court mentions Queen Anne-Marie (and not Queen Anne-Marie of Greece) for an occassion like this. They usually avoid that as she is not Queen of Denmark...

Kingen 04-26-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214836)
Interesting that the danish royal court mentions Queen Anne-Marie (and not Queen Anne-Marie of Greece) for an occassion like this. They usually avoid that as she is not Queen of Denmark...

I agree, it is not the first time though. she vad been listed, along with one or both of her sisters, at events in the Danish calendar.

eya 04-26-2019 11:21 AM

And the Prince Jean, Count of Paris confirm his presence at the funeral:

"J'ai été attristé par la mort du grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg, mon cousin. C'était un monarque courageux qui a grandement contribué à libérer son pays en septembre 1944.
Je serai présent lors de ses funérailles le 4 mai à Luxembourg. Je le confie à vos prières ainsi que sa famille, notamment le grand-duc Henri."

Mbruno 04-26-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2214836)

Actually, the reigning Queen is usually referred to simply as HM The Queen whereas a Queen dowager or a foreign queen consort would be referred to as HM Queen [name]. Therefore, I think the Danish court’s press releae is formally correct .

On the other hand, calling her Queen Anne Marie “ of Greece” would be incorrect in my opinion as Greece is now a republic .

Lumutqueen 04-26-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

This has been confirmed, Princess Anne worked with the Duke on the IOC.

Hans-Rickard 04-26-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2214857)
Actually, the reigning Queen is usually referred to simply as HM The Queen whereas a Queen dowager or a foreign queen consort would be referred to as HM Queen [name]. Therefore, I think the Danish court’s press releae is formally correct .

On the other hand, calling her Queen Anne Marie “ of Greece” would be incorrect in my opinion as Greece is now a republic .

Margrethe is ofcourse H.M The Queen.

For a Queen Dowager, like the late H.M Queen Ingrid, that style would be correct. A foreign Queen Consort (reigning or titular) should correctly be mentioned as H.M Queen XX of XX. Otherwise they could also write H.M The Queen and H.M Queen Silvia f.ex

But now we're off topic

tommy100 04-26-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 2214862)
This has been confirmed, Princess Anne worked with the Duke on the IOC.

I think Anne is a perfect choice given she has worked with Grand Duke Jean on the IOC so will have many more personal memories of him than other royals that could have been sent instead.

Duc_et_Pair 04-26-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2214853)
And the Prince Jean, Count of Paris confirm his presence at the funeral:

"J'ai été attristé par la mort du grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg, mon cousin. C'était un monarque courageux qui a grandement contribué à libérer son pays en septembre 1944.
Je serai présent lors de ses funérailles le 4 mai à Luxembourg. Je le confie à vos prières ainsi que sa famille, notamment le grand-duc Henri."

" Mon cousin "?
In the meaning of both being capétiens or in the old custom that heads of Royal Houses used to say this.

I renrmber when Queen Anne of Romania died, the Duke of Parma spoke about 'mijn lieve tante' (my lovely aunt) while she was no aunt.

Mbruno 04-26-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2214889)
" Mon cousin "?
In the meaning of both being capétiens or in the old custom that heads of Royal Houses used to say this.

I renrmber when Queen Anne of Romania died, the Duke of Parma spoke about 'mijn lieve tante' (my lovely aunt) while she was no aunt.

I suppose he meant cousins in the sense that both of them belong to a branch of the broader (patrilineal) Bourbon family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2214816)
See the linked official website for the explanation.

Notwithstanding what the Belgian royal court says, Grand Duke Jean's children belong to the Bourbon-Parma family rather than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. It is confusing though since, by the same patrilineal criteria, Princess Astrid's children wouldn't be part of the royal family either, even though they are princes/princesses "of Belgium" under King Baudouin's 1991 royal decree.

That is why I think the subjective (and largely arbitrary) concept of "Royal Family" should be avoided. Instead, one should use the more objective concept of "Royal House", which would include all princes and princesses "of Belgium" and exclude all other family members who do not hold that title. It is unfortunate that the Royal Court does not follow that criterion.

In any case, if we take the Royal Court's statement at face value, should Alexandra and Leopoldo Moncada be also considered members of the Belgian royal family ? I don't think they should be, but, according to the Court's definition, they are.

Tatiana Maria 04-26-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2214902)
Notwithstanding what the Belgian royal court says, Grand Duke Jean's children belong to the Bourbon-Parma family rather than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family. It is confusing though since, by the same patrilineal criteria, Princess Astrid's children wouldn't be part of the royal family either, even though they are princes/princesses "of Belgium" under King Baudouin's 1991 royal decree.

Grand Duke Jean and his children belong mainly to the Nassau family, their additional Bourbon-Parma identity notwithstanding. With Article 3 of the Constitution of Luxembourg stipulating that "the throne of Luxembourg is hereditary in the Nassau family", being a mere Bourbon-Parma would not allow Jean or Henri to have constitutionally acceded to the grand-ducal throne.

The Grand-Ducal Decree of July 28, 1986 gave to descendants of Sovereigns in male line the family name "Nassau" (subsequently corrected in 2006 to "of Nassau"), distinct from their titles. Even at the times when "Princess or Prince of Bourbon-Parma" was used, it was preceded by "Princess or Prince of Nassau" (e.g. in this court document HRH Louis Prince of Luxembourg v HRH Tessy Princess of Luxembourg & Anor (Application for Financial Remedy) [2018] EWFC 77 (04 December 2018)).

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 2214816)
ETA: Note that the Belgian Court included "Prince Louis, Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, Princess Marie-Astrid, Princess Maria-Anunciata, Prince Josef-Emmanuel, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla, Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Léopold, Princess Charlotte" in the list of "Members of the Royal Family" attending the memorial mass for King Boudewijn last year.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/e...jden-van-zijne

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2214902)
In any case, if we take the Royal Court's statement at face value, should Alexandra and Leopoldo Moncada be also considered members of the Belgian royal family ? I don't think they should be, but, according to the Court's definition, they are.

The Belgian Royal Court's definition "All of the descendants of Léopold III and their legitimate spouses are part of the Royal Family" seems clearly stated to me, so whether or not they should be (and I partially agree with using a narrower definition), there does not appear to be any doubt that the Moncadas are considered members of the Belgian Royal Family, just as Princess Maria-Anunciata of Liechtenstein (as a granddaughter of Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium) was listed as a member of the Belgian Royal Family in the Court's above quoted press release.

eya 04-26-2019 04:06 PM

The Duke of Braganza also confirm his presence:

"My family and I will be present at the funeral", told the Duke of Bragança."

https://monarquiaportuguesa.blogs.sa...icia-da-449187

HereditaryPrincess 04-26-2019 04:59 PM

:previous: I presume, now it's been confirmed there are royal representatives from former monarchies Portugal and France, we'll be getting a lot of non-reigning RFs at the funeral as well as, I presume, current international families. It'll be interesting who will represent Britain.

Hans-Rickard 04-26-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2214958)
:previous: It'll be interesting who will represent Britain.

Princess Anne is confirmed according to journalist Richard Palmer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...96929355042816

Duc_et_Pair 04-27-2019 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2214958)
:previous: I presume, now it's been confirmed there are royal representatives from former monarchies Portugal and France, we'll be getting a lot of non-reigning RFs at the funeral as well as, I presume, current international families. It'll be interesting who will represent Britain.

The French and the Portugese are no surprise. The late Grand-Duke was a Bourbon himself, Luxembourg is a direct neighbour of France, so the ties are historically close (think about the famous Palais & Jardins du Luxembourg in Paris).

The Portugese are the largest group of non-Luxembourg nationals in the Grand-Duchy and the late Grand-Duke's grandmother was a Portugese:

Karl-Christian von Nassau x Carolina von Orange-Nassau
|
Friedrich-Wilhelm von Nassau x Isabelle von Sayn-Hachenburg
|
Wilhelm I von Nassau x Luise von Sachsen-Hildburghausen
|
Adolf von Nassau x Adelheid Marie von Anhalt-Dessau
|
Wilhelm IV von Nassau x Maria Ana de Bragança
|
Charlotte von Nassau x René de Bourbon de Parme
|
Jean

eya 04-27-2019 07:36 AM

Another confirmation from a former monarchy, Romania: Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu

https://twitter.com/brittani_91/stat...89666763685888