The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Denmark (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   The Danish Orders and Monograms (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/the-danish-orders-and-monograms-4609.html)

davo 01-10-2005 06:06 AM

The Danish Orders and Monograms

I'm creating this post to add in my photos of the arms of the Queens and Princesses of Denmark on their shields of the Order of the Elephant.

These are displayed in the chapel of Frederiksborg Slot.

I took a series of photos of the Elephant order and Dannebrog order shields during a visit on Friday September 17th 2004.

I've started sorting all of them and I am going to start by posting the Queens and Princesses.

Enjoy!

David

davo 01-10-2005 06:21 AM

Queen Louise Wilhelmine, 1892

2 Attachment(s)
Queen Louise, formerly Princess Luise of Hess-Cassel, was given the insignia of the Order of the Elephant on the 50th (Golden) anniversary of her wedding to King Christian IX of Denmark, 26th May 1892. She was the first woman to receive the insignia of the Elephant order.

Her shield is around the corner to the Left of the QMII's shield as grand master of the orders at the end on the chapel. In the second photo it is the one in the upper left near the stained glass window.

davo 01-10-2005 06:32 AM

Queen Louise Josephine, 1906

1 Attachment(s)
The next Queen of Denmark was Queen Louise Josephine, nee Princess Lovisa of Sweden. She was married to King Frederik VIII of Denmark. She was given the insignia of the Order of the Elephant in 1906, on the 31st of October. F-VIII had succeeded his father on 29th January 1906.

Her shield is directly to the right and just below Queen Louise W's, which you can see in the second image of the post above.

... and doesn't heraldry tell a story. Here you can see that even though the Queen was given the insignia in 1906 (at which stage her son Carl was the new King of Norway reigning as Haakon 7th post the division of the Swedish/Norwegian Union) her arms show the fact that when she married into the Danish Royal family she was a Princess of the union countries.

I love the effect with the three crowns sitting side by side above the marshalled arms.

davo 01-10-2005 07:07 AM

Queen Alexandrine, 1912

3 Attachment(s)
Queen Alexandrine, nee Duchess Alexandrine 'Adini' of Mecklenburg-Schwerin married King Christian X of Denmark in 1898.

Christian became King upon the death of his father on May 14, 1912. Alezandrine was given the insignia of the order of the elephant on September 26th of that year.

Her arms are in the alcove to the right of the royal arms behind the organ (seen on the accompanying photos). Her's is the top left.

davo 01-10-2005 07:27 AM

Queen Ingrid, 1947

2 Attachment(s)
Princess Louise of Sweden, only daughter of the Crown Prince of Sweden [later King Gustaf VI Adolf] married Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark on the 24 of May 1935. His father died on the 20 of April 1947 and he succeeded as Frederik IX.

Queen Ingrid shield of the order of the elephant is dated the 24th of May 1947.

The Queen's arms, and those of her two younger daughters, are located on the back wall of the chapel, on the right on the organ. They are are visible on the right of the picture in the post above. Queen Ingrid's on the top, Benedikte's on the left and Anne-Marie's on the right.

Mandy 01-10-2005 12:20 PM

Fantastic thread

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for sharing your own photos and this information with us.

davo 01-11-2005 06:23 AM

The Three Princesses, 1947???

4 Attachment(s)
The three daughters of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid all have their shields as up in the chapel as princesses of denmark.

All three shields have the same date... 22nd of April 1947. This is the date of their father's succession as king. (Not to mention a month before the dat on their mother's shield, which seems a little strange to me.)

Princess Margrethe's shield also says... "Regni Heres" after the usual "Principissa Daniae". (Which I take as a literal meaning "kingdom heir" in latin.) However in 1947 Margarethe was not the throne follower. Indeed there was no female succession until in 1953, when the Act of Succession was changed, allowing females to become Queen Regnants. The crown on top of her shield is also the heraldic crown of the heir to the throne. So I assume that this shield - and maybe all three - were not painted unil after this date.

I would be grateful if anyone can shed any further light onto this for us.

Note that Princess Margrethe's shield is in the bay behind the organ at the back of the chiurch. It is at the top right, just diagonally above the shield of her father as crown prince See attached image. The two other princesses and their mother are on the wall around the corner to the right.

davo 01-11-2005 06:55 AM

Princess Caroline Mathilde, 1960

1 Attachment(s)
HH Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark married her cousin HRH Prince Knud Christian Frederik Michael of Denmark (second son of King Christian X) in September 1933.

Since the bestowal of the insignia on Queen Louise by Christian IX on the occasion of their golden wedding in 1892, the order has been awarded to a number of women royalties (Mostly Danish Queen's, but including a few Foreign reigning queens and female heirs to the throne, as well as the three daughters of Frederik IX). In an ordinance of April 9, 1958, Frederik IX ruled that women should have an equal right with men to receive the award. Princess Caroline-Mathilde was the first princess outside the King's direct family to receive the Elephant. https://www.denmark.org/mermaid_Apr98/elephant.html

Her arms on her Elephant shield are those of a Princess of Denmark in her own right. They are located in the same group as Frederik IX and Princess Margrethe's. See previous post. Caroline-Mathilde's arms are between those of her husband (left) and Brother-in-law (right) in the middle of the bottom row.

davo 01-11-2005 07:31 AM

Princess Margaretha, 1960

3 Attachment(s)
HRH Princess Margaretha of Sweden (1899-1977) married HH Prince Axel of Denmark (1888-1964) on may 22, 1919.

She was given the order of the Elephant in 1960, one day after Princess Caroline-Mathilde.

Her arms are those of Denmark marshalled with Sweden (Even though she was born a princess of the union countries and was therefore born a princess of Sweden and Norway, the arms depicted are only Sweden as she was only a Princess of Sweden at the time of her marriage). They are located in the group on the left side of the extreme left alcove at the back of the chapel (left of the stained glass in the attached picture).

Note: her two sisters were the Crown-Princess of Norway and The Queen of Belgium.

Chatleen 01-11-2005 06:32 PM

Thanks for sharing all these pics and information with us, very kind of you :)

I have just read some of your first post and will return later to finish.

davo 01-12-2005 06:07 AM

Princess Viggo, Countess of Rosenborg, 1961

2 Attachment(s)
Eleanor Margaret Green was born in New York City, New York, USA on November 5th, 1895.

She married in New York City, on June 10th, 1924 HRH Prince Viggo Christian Adolf Georg of Denmark. As the marriage was not given the consent of the King and the Danish Government. Prince Viggo renounced his rights of succession along with the title of Prince of Denmark and the qualification of Royal Highness and assumed the style of HH Prince Viggo, Count af Rosenborg (the traditional title given to a Danish prince who marries without consent and who loses his title). By Convention his wife took his title and status and was known as HH Princess Viggo, Grevinde af Rosenborg

The "demotion" from HRH to HH was interesting as he was born HH Prince Viggo Christian Adolf Georg of Denmark. As grandchildren of the sovereign this was the usual title. (It is only the children of the monarch -and the son's wives - that are HRH. However on February 5, 1904 the children of HRH Prince Valdemar of Denmark were all raised to the rank of HRH).

It appears that Danish royals go down one rung when they marry without consent. HRH's of Denmark become HH's of Rosenborg and HH's of Denmark become HE's of Rosenborg.

It is interesting that as a HH of Rosenborg, Princess Viggo was awarded the Elephant in 1961. This is the only example of a Countess of Rosenborg receiving the Elephant. However not all have been HH?s, most HE?s. While not a princess of Denmark by marriage, her role in the royal family must have been popular for her to be given this award.

Her shield is located next to the right of Princess Margaretha?s and Princess Elisabeth?s in the back left corner of the chapel. It shows her marital arms. On the right we see what must be the arms attributed to the Green family - three golden stags on a blue shield. On the left we see those of Prince Viggo after his marriage - "Rosenborg"

Viggo and two of his brothers Aafe and Erik married without the King?s consent, all being styled "HH Prince NN, Count of Rosenborg". The three of them were granted the same arms: A golden shield with a blue crowned lion over three red hearts. (This represents a third of the Danish royal arms - three blue lions surrounded by nine red hearts). Their children as Counts of Rosenborg were entitled to a different coat of arm quartering the arms above with an image of Rosenborg Castle. This image is also attached for those that are interested.

One final note, the lion in Prince Viggo's arms is shown as facing right, when it should be facing left. It is paying deferrence to the arms of his wife, by facing hers.

Princess Viggo died in Copenhagen on July 3rd, 1966. Prince Viggo died on January 4th, 1970. The Prince's arms - as a HRH of Denmark - as on the wall directly opposite those of his wife.

davo 01-12-2005 06:15 AM

Princess Elisabeth, 1962

2 Attachment(s)
HH Princess Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Astrid Margrethe Désirée of Denmark (that's a lot of names!) was born in Copenhagen on May 8th, 1935, oldest child of HRH Prince Knud and HRH Princess Caroline-Mathilde.

She was presented with the order of the Elephant by her Uncle, King Frederik IX on the 11th of March, 1962.

Princess Elisabeth has never married and is currently sixth in line for the throne.

Her arms are those shown for Denmark at the time (with the changes and simplification of the shield for the reign on Queen Margrethe in 1972). The shield is located directly below that of HRH Princess Margaretha (see photo in my post on her arms, above) the bottom shield in the middle of the three columns on that alcove wall.

davo 01-12-2005 07:14 AM

Queen Margrethe, Master of the Royal Orders, 1972.

2 Attachment(s)
In 1972, Crown Princess Margrethe succeeded her father as the Danisk monarch, reigning as Margrethe 2.

As such she became the "grand master" of the royal orders.

A special large shield (roughly four times the size of other shields in the chapel) of the arms of the monarch surrounded by both the Elephant and the Dannebrog, hangs in pride of place at the orders chapel - on the main back wall, to the left of the organ. (The shield just shows the crowned arms of the sovereign surrounded by the ribbons and collars of the two orders. It does not state the monarchs name, when they recevied the order/s or became master.)

Below it hang the arms of the Prince Consort, their two children and Prince Joachim's wife Princess Alexandra. (See attched photos).

The Royal arms of the Monarch changed with the Queen's succession. She simplified the arms.

You can read about the royal arms at the royal Family website...
https://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?dogtag=k_en_his_arm

You can also find discussion about the changes ot the royal arms here...
https://www.heraldica.org/topics/nati...htm#kongevaben

davo 01-13-2005 06:05 AM

Princess Anne, 1974

1 Attachment(s)
Anne Ferelith Bowes-Lyon was the daughter of Hon. John Herbert Bowes-Lyon (of the Earls of Strathmore and Kinghorne) and Hon. Fenella Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis (of the Baron's Clinton).

She was born on 4 December 1917 at Washington DC, USA. She married Major Thomas William Arnold Anson, Viscount Anson (son of Thomas Edward Anson, 4th Earl of Lichfield and Evelyn Maud Keppel) on 28 April 1938. She and Major Thomas William Arnold Anson, Viscount Anson were divorced in 1948.

She married HH Georg, Prince of Denmark, son of HRH Axel, Prince of Denmark and HRH Margareta, Princess of Sweden, on 16 September 1950 at Glamis Castle, Glamis, Angus, Scotland.

Princess Anne of Denmark was awarded the Order of the Elephant by Queen Margrethe 2 on the 16th of April 1974.

Princess Anne's shield is displayed directly below that of Princess Viggo - see pictures in posts above - on the bottom right of the grouping of royal arms. The shield of her husband HH Prince Georg is displayed directly opposite, on the bottom right hand side of the opposing wall of the alcove.

The shield shows her marital arm, with Denmark being marshalled with the her family arms: those famous Bows and Lions of the Bowes-Lyon family. I will point out the royal augmentation to the arms from 1937. As a tribute to the family providing a Queen for the United Kingdom, the Earl's family arms deceived the following addition... An inescutcheon, en surtout azure, thereon a rose argent, ensigned with an Imperial crown proper, within a double tressure flory counterflory of the second, the said inescutcheon ensigned with an Earl's coronet proper. (The crowned white rose of York symbolising the King and Queen's previous title.)

Princess Anne died on 26 September 1980 at age 62 at London, England, UK.

davo 01-14-2005 10:39 PM

Princess Alexandra, 1995

3 Attachment(s)
On 18 November 1995, HRH Prince Joachim married Miss Alexandra Christina Manley, who in connection with the marriage became HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark.

Miss Manley, from Hong Kong, was presented with the Order of the Elephant the day before the wedding.

The wedding actually took place in the Chapel of Frederiksborg Castle at Hillerød, the chapel of the royal orders.

Princess Alexandra's arms are currently displayed below the royal arms alongside those of her husband and the Crown Prince. Her shield is her marital arms, marshalling the arms of Prince Joachim [Denmark with an escutcheon of Oldenborg impaled with de Monpezat] and the her own arms with quater those given to her father Mr Richard Manely with an orchid. (Mr Manley was awarded the grand cross of the order of the Dannebrog just prior to the royal wedding.)

Unfortunately Princess Alexandra and Prince Joachim have seperated. The seperation was announced on September 16th 2004 - the day before I was due to visit Frederiksborg and when I took these photos.

michelleq 11-05-2005 07:13 PM

The Order of Dannebrog

I would like to start a thread pertaining to the Order of Dannebrog. This is the other order of Denmark. I notice that at the death of HSH Marguerite of Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg, that she was granted this order just before the wedding of her son, Prince Richard to Princess Benedikte, as well as the parents of Princess Alexandra when she married Prince Joachim, and Princess Mary when she married Prince Frederick. Is this given to other family memebers, such as Queen Anne Marie's children and Princess Benedikte's. If not, what is the criteria? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Margrethe II 11-05-2005 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleq
I would like to start a thread pertaining to the Order of Dannebrog. This is the other order of Denmark. I notice that at the death of HSH Marguerite of Sayn Wittgenstein Berleburg, that she was granted this order just before the wedding of her son, Prince Richard to Princess Benedikte, as well as the parents of Princess Alexandra when she married Prince Joachim, and Princess Mary when she married Prince Frederick. Is this given to other family memebers, such as Queen Anne Marie's children and Princess Benedikte's. If not, what is the criteria? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Only Alexandra & Mary's father's recieved the Dannebrogordenen.

The Order of the Dannebrog was established by King Waldemar II in 1219. The Order renewed by King Christian V in 1671. The Order was only to comprise 50 noble Knights in one class plus the Master of the Order, i.e. the King, and his sons. In 1808, the Order was reformed and it was divided into four classes: the Grand Commander class and below that the three regular classes of the Order: Grand Cross (first Order class), Commander 1st Degree and Commander (second Order class), and Knight 1st Degree and Knight (third Order class). The Cross of Honour is attached to the Order of the Dannebrog.

Nowadays, the Order of Dannebrog is a means of rewarding the faithful servants of the modern welfare state for meritorious civil or military service, for a particular contribution to the arts, sciences or business life or for those working for Danish interests.

The badge of the Order of the Dannebrog is a white and red-enamelled Dannebrog cross, for the Knights in silver and for everyone else in gold. The cross hangs in the crowned monogram of the bestowing monarch. On its front, the cross bears the crowned monogram of Christian V as well as the motto of the Order: Gud og Kongen (God and the King). On the reverse, the crowned monograms of Valdemar II Sejr, Christian V and Frederik VI, as well as the years 1219, 1671 and 1808 appear. In each of the four angles of the cross a royal crown has been placed.

The Grand Commander class has been reserved to persons of princely origin, and not more than seven Orders are bestowed. The Grand Commanders wear the badge on a necklet (gentlemen) or on a bow (ladies). An eight-pointed silver star is worn on the left side of the chest.

The insignia of the Grand Cross class consist of the badge, the star of the Order (the same as for Grand Commanders), the collar and the sash. The collar of the Order is of gold and the sash is white with a red border. The sash is draped from the right shoulder to the left hip.

Commanders 1st Degree and Commanders wear the badge on the necklet (gentlemen) or on a bow (ladies). Commanders 1st Degree also wear a breast cross.

Knights 1st Degree and Knights wear their cross on a chest ribbon (gentlemen) or on a bow (ladies). Knights 1st Degree have a rosette on the chest ribbon or bow.

The Cross of Honour of the Dannebrog is awarded to Danes on whom the Order of the Dannebrog has already been bestowed. It is also worn by the individual members of the royal family. Its badge is all in silver and it is worn on a ribbon (gentlemen) or bow (ladies) with rosette.

The insignia of the Order must be returned upon the death of the holder.

Extracts taken from https://www.pinetreeweb.com/bp-honours-denmark.htm

"MII"

michelleq 11-05-2005 08:47 PM

Thank you Margrethe II.

My question is this; what is the order that HSH Princess Marguerite was awarded? Please review the link to the Glorious (IMHO) Glittering Royal Events link that I have supplied.

https://www.angelfire.com/realm3/denm...ewels1968.html

Thank you Glittering Royal Events and, again, thank you Margrethe II.

Margrethe II 11-05-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Thank you Margrethe II.

My question is this; what is the order that HSH Princess Marguerite was awarded? Please review the link to the Glorious (IMHO) Glittering Royal Events link that I have supplied.

https://www.angelfire.com/realm3/denm...ewels1968.html

Thank you Glittering Royal Events and, again, thank you Margrethe II.

You're most welcome michelleq,

Oh, I dont think I made myself clear. Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that only Alexandra & Mary's father's recieved the Order, and not their mother/step mother. I meant no connection to Princess Marguerite who was also awardered the Order upon her sons marriage into the Danish royal house.

"MII"

Warren 11-06-2005 12:20 AM

Here is a link to a pic of the arms of the late Fürstin Margareta zu Sayn Wittgenstein-Berleburg, as displayed at the chapel of Fredriksborg as a Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Dannebrog. Created at the time of her son's wedding to Princess Benedikte.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1125816874

(Thanks to TRF member Davo who took this pic)

michelleq 11-06-2005 12:25 AM

I see that one of the shields is the Berleburg's; is the other from her swedish Family?

Warren 11-06-2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

I see that one of the shields is the Berleburg's; is the other from her swedish Family?

The Fürstin was from the Fouché d'Otrante family so I would guess it's their Coat of Arms.

Mapple 11-06-2005 07:03 AM

The Order of the Dannebrog

I'd like to add a little and to ask a couple of questions.

The Order of the Dannebrog was opened to women in 1958, AFAIK. I'm not sure whether there were some exceptions for women of royal origin prior to that date.

Are there any foreign Grand Commanders of the Order of Dannebrog?

By the way, has someone been awarded both the Order of Dannebrog and the Order of the Elephant simultaneously, i.e. receiving two Danish orders of chivalry on the same day?

norwegianne 11-06-2005 07:47 AM

It was the Order of the Elephant that was opened to females in 1958. The Order of the Dannebrog was opened to females in 1951.

King Harald of Norway is a Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog.

Mapple 11-06-2005 08:38 AM

norwegianne
Thank you for the info, it seems I've mixed the two orders up. :-)

H.M. Margrethe 04-12-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik
Thank you H.M. Margrethe. Have you or anyone closer picture of it?

I don´t have a pic of it but it looks like this monogram of the Crownprincesse (Kronprinsessen) exept the crown

https://i.c.dk/kh/gfx/local/monogrammer.gif

magnik 04-12-2006 06:06 PM

Dronningen - Queen (Margrethe Regina)
Regentparret - ? Regency couple
Prinsen - Prince (Henrik)
Kronprinsen - Crown Prince (Frederick)
Kronprinsessen - Crown Princess (Mary)
Kronprinsparret - Crown Principaly couple
Prins Joachim
Prinsesse Alexandra
P. Joachim and Pss. Alexandra
Dronningens private - Queens private monogram
Prinsesse Benedikte

Lillia 04-14-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota
lillia, from left to right, top to bottom:

queen, reigning couple, prince (henrik), crown prince, crown princess, crown princely couple, prince joachim, princess alexandra, prince joachim and princess alexandra, queen private and princess benedikte.

EDIT: magnik, i just saw you posted this before... :)

thank you both, carlota and magnik:)

could someone please explain a little about why the queen would have a seperate private monogram? what would it be used for?

Warren 04-15-2006 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillia
could someone please explain a little about why the queen would have a seperate private monogram? what would it be used for?

As an example: when the Queen is doing 'private' correspondence she would use paper with her 'private' monogram. When she is writing as the Queen of Denmark she would use the Queen's monogram. It is to differentiate the two roles through the use of symbols. The monograms could also possibly be used on certain items to show the difference between personal and Crown ownership, although this would be a murky area.

Lady Cathrine Rose 05-27-2006 12:04 PM

Thank you so much for posting those monograms! I loved that! Did Margarethe design each and everyone of them?

MoonlightRhapsody 05-27-2006 12:14 PM

I can't wait to see Prince Nikolai, Prince Felix, and Prince Christian's monograms when they get older. The monograms are fascinating to me.

robby86 05-29-2006 08:12 PM

What is the "Order of the Elephant" and why an elephant?

Louise 05-30-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby86
What is the "Order of the Elephant" and why an elephant?

The order of the Elephant is the highest danish order, and mostly given to foreign heads of state. Mærsk McKinney Møller (owner of the shippingcompany mærsk) is the onbly dane in 50 years to recieve it, the last one before him was Niels Bohr (the physicist).
I actually have no idea why it's an elephant. The order is about 500 years old, and my best guess is that the elephant was a very strange animal, but known for it's strenght, therefore it was a good symbol.

betina 05-30-2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davo
Princess Alexandra's arms are currently displayed below the royal arms alongside those of her husband and the Crown Prince. Her shield is her marital arms, marshalling the arms of Prince Joachim [Denmark with an escutcheon of Oldenborg impaled with de Monpezat] and the her own arms with quater those given to her father Mr Richard Manely with an orchid. .

Actually i think the flower is an Edelweiss because its a very popular flower in Austria where Alexandras mother is from.

Laura 08-29-2006 01:28 PM

Crown Princess Mary's Coat of Arms

I wonder if Mary has got her own coat of arms. Unfortunately, the Danish royals seem not to use their personal arms that often: for instance, the only time I got to see Princess Alexandra's was in a photo taken of Frederiksborg Castle's Chapel, where all knights and ladies of the Order of the Elephant have their arms displayed in a shield with their name, coat of arms and the date they became members of the order.

Perhaps somebody has visited the castle recently and noticed the CP's shield?

Prince Frederik's coat of Arms in Frederiksborg Chapel:
https://www.crownprincecouple.dk/49000c

Shields of other knights and ladies of the Order of the Elephant:
https://p.vtourist.com/1080739-Shield...sborg_Slot.jpg

sirmax 08-31-2006 07:27 PM

On the Official web site of the Crown Prince Couple, it says that they created an official standard for the King, Queen and the Regent. Does anyone have a clue of how the Regent Standard looks like?

politikgirl 09-11-2006 12:39 AM

Did Joachim and Alexandra have a joint monogram (like Frederik & Mary's) when they were married? If so, does anyone have a picture of it?

soCal girl 09-11-2006 01:30 AM

Here's Joachim and Alexandra's joint monogram:

https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...h_Monogram.jpg
(I'm guessing it was on the official site of the Danish monarchy but was taken off after the divorce)

Here's their monogram as part of a gate (Does anybody know what palace/castle/home that is? Is the gate still like that?)
https://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m..._Monogram2.jpg
(Credit: Polfoto)

UserDane 09-11-2006 03:10 AM

soCal Girl - I'm sure it must be Schackenborg Castle; the castle that was given/bought for Joachim when he was a boy and where he lives now. I haven't seen pictures of the gate recently so I don't know whether it has been changed.
(https://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_pal_sch)

soCal girl 09-11-2006 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane
soCal Girl - I'm sure it must be Schackenborg Castle; the castle that was given/bought for Joachim when he was a boy and where he lives now. I haven't seen pictures of the gate recently so I don't know whether it has been changed.
(https://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_pal_sch)

Thanks for the answer, UserDane. I would hope the gate is changed since the monogram no longer exists in a sense.

HenrikaB 09-11-2006 08:09 AM

Perhaps he's waiting to remarry so he can re-monogram the gate and the furniture. I understand a lot of the furniture has their monogram carved into it.

politikgirl 09-11-2006 08:14 AM

That must be a little awkward for Joachim, having to look at his former "joint couple" monogram everywhere throughout his home.

Thanks for posting the monogram!

HenrikaB 09-11-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by politikgirl
That must be a little awkward for Joachim, having to look at his former "joint couple" monogram everywhere throughout his home.

I agree. I know if it were me, I would have thrown everything out the minute the ex walked out the door - wouldn't have even tried to sell it. Come to think of it there was an article stating that Joachim went on a buying spree after the separation, so perhaps he did throw it out(?).

norwegianne 09-11-2006 10:16 AM

It was stated around the divorce that the joint monogramme on the gates of Schackenborg would stay. (I presume until a potential new wife...)

billie-jo 09-11-2006 09:36 PM

doe's mary have one as well?
billie-jo

Madame Royale 09-11-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billie-jo
doe's mary have one as well?
billie-jo

Of course :smile:

Look over the page billie-jo

billie-jo 09-12-2006 01:30 AM

won't page is that madame royale.
Billie-jo

Madame Royale 09-12-2006 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billie-jo
won't page is that madame royale.
Billie-jo

Page 2 Billie-jo.

You were referring to the Crown Princess' personal monogram were you not?

politikgirl 09-12-2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikaB
I agree. I know if it were me, I would have thrown everything out the minute the ex walked out the door - wouldn't have even tried to sell it. Come to think of it there was an article stating that Joachim went on a buying spree after the separation, so perhaps he did throw it out(?).

It's possible. Because who would want to look at that everyday?

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
It was stated around the divorce that the joint monogramme on the gates of Schackenborg would stay. (I presume until a potential new wife...)

And if Joachim never remarries, I guess the monogram will always be on the gates.

Ms Griffin 09-28-2006 02:45 AM

It was stated back in the day that they were given quite a few wedding gifts from the danish people, associations, etc., also for Schackenborg. Among those gifts was the gate. Therefore I'd assume both Joachim and Alexandra would be careful to not just throw it out. ;)

MoonlightRhapsody 09-28-2006 01:53 PM

Wasn't Mary awarded an Order of the Elephant yet? Does anyone have picture of her coat of arms?

CasiraghiTrio 11-04-2006 09:57 PM

Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?

Madame Royale 11-04-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?

Yes, CasiraghiTrio :flowers:

The Order of the Elephant is the Danish equivilant to the British Order of the Garter or the Swedish Order of the Seraphim etc.

It is highest Order of Chivalry in the land.

Mary will probably (again, no one can be certain) be made a Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog when Frederik becomes King.

CasiraghiTrio 11-04-2006 10:34 PM

Thanks, MR!

there are pics of Niels Bohr on Getty wearing his Order of the Elephant. He's not royal but I love him and I think it's great to see non-royalty achieve orders of chivalry. I don't care about actors who get it or musical entertainers. I could care less about the Rolling stones and their knighthoods, but someone like Niels bohr made real contributions to the understanding of the universe with his work on quantum mechanics.

One question: Does the Elephant order work the same way as the Garter, the Thistle, etc. in terms of prefixes? Are the Knights given a prefix of "Sir" and the Ladies "Dame"?

Sister Morphine 11-05-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by politikgirl

I completely agree. A friend of my family is going through a rough divorce and she's got reminders of him all over her house....pictures, things they bought together, souvenirs of trips they took, etc. I can't imagine having to look at reminders of happier days when I feel like happy days are long gone.

RhapsodyBrat 11-06-2006 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightRhapsody
I can't wait to see Prince Nikolai, Prince Felix, and Prince Christian's monograms when they get older. The monograms are fascinating to me.

that's what i would like to ask--why don't Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix have their own monograms? Prince Christian's monogram was released soon after his birth. Is this a prerogative given to the children/grandchildren, or is it done upon the discretion of the Queen?

politikgirl 08-11-2007 08:54 AM

I can't wait to see Princess Isabella's monogram. :)

agapi 08-11-2007 10:15 AM

Me too! I think Queen Magrehte is working on it right now:princess3:

politikgirl 11-25-2007 09:57 AM

The Queen must be working on Marie's monogram as well. I'm really curious about how that will look, since Marie is another "M" along with Margrethe and Mary.

magnik 11-25-2007 02:30 PM

It will be M with the same crown as Alexandra had. - Principal crown like Joachim has, I think.

Is it Alexandra's new crown, right Countess Alexandra of Frederiksborg

GlitteringTiaras 11-25-2007 10:05 PM

Yes, and it has been since she became a Countess.

sirhon11234 11-25-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik (Post 697416)
It will be M with the same crown as Alexandra had. - Principal crown like Joachim has, I think.

Alexandra actually has a coronet on her monogram.

RubyPrincess168 11-25-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Morphine (Post 531275)
I completely agree. A friend of my family is going through a rough divorce and she's got reminders of him all over her house....pictures, things they bought together, souvenirs of trips they took, etc. I can't imagine having to look at reminders of happier days when I feel like happy days are long gone.

At least it's just monogramed stuff. He could live with it or he might want to keep it for the kids. It might be cheaper to reupholster things too. But then he may feel differently about it. My friend is getting divorced also and has to look at her ex's deer heads on the wall as well as other hunting & fishing stuff. If it were me I'd box it all up and tell him he has a month or whatever to come get it or it's going to the dump!

It'd be interesting to see what they do about the gate!

politikgirl 12-11-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik (Post 697416)

What I meant above is that I'm curious about how the monogram will look because it will be another "M" monogram (like the queen's and Mary's) and obviously Mary and Marie can't have the same monogram, so the queen will have to come up with something to differentiate the two "M"s. The queen's, of course, is very distinct anyway, so it's not a problem to distinguish hers from the princesses. I'm interested to see what she'll do to differentiate Mary's and Marie's.

Paty 04-10-2008 11:47 AM

Joachim and Marie's joint monogram

The royal house has publised the feature Monogram for Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, after the wedding on may 24.

Here is the picture
https://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7...g2a395fkl6.jpg

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Lilla 04-10-2008 11:53 AM

It is a beautiful monogram. I love the way - the two J's for Joachim - is turned into a heart. :wub:

Amelia 04-10-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 752044)
The royal house has publised the Monogram for Prince Joachim and Princess Mary for after the wedding on may 24.

I think you mean Princess Marie :rofl:

Paty 04-10-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelia (Post 752047)
I think you mean Princess Marie :rofl:

Upps!!!!:lol:

I wonder if the feature Princess Marie wiil has a single monogram...
Did has Alexandra her own monogram?

norwegianne 04-10-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilla (Post 752046)
It is a beautiful monogram. I love the way - the two J's for Joachim - is turned into a heart. :wub:

Exactly.

I think it is very elegant, yet while also being slightly modern - not too many frills going on. The form of the letters looked a bit like Joachim's personal monogram to me, so I wasn't surprised to discover that he is the one who has designed this one as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 752048)
I wonder if the feature Princess Marie wiil has a single monogram...
Did has Alexandra her own monogram?

Alexandra has her own monogram, which can be seen at the startpage of her homepage: Grevinde Alexandra af Frederiksborg It was also designed by Joachim. :flowers:

I think it is highly probable that Marie will also get a monogram of her own.

Paty 04-10-2008 12:05 PM

I think it was desing by Prince Joachim and Ronny Andersen.

norwegianne 04-10-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 752054)
I think it was desing by Prince Joachim and Ronny Andersen.

The official quote says that it was designed by HRH Prince Joachim, with heraldic help from Ronny Andersen, that is correct :flowers:

Paty 04-10-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 752050)
Alexandra has her own monogram, which can be seen at the startpage of her homepage: Grevinde Alexandra af Frederiksborg It was also designed by Joachim. :flowers:

I think it is highly probable that Marie will also get a monogram of her own.

So Alexandra is ussing the same monagram that when she was Princess of Denmark, I thought that she would has a new monogram to become Countess..

Amelia 04-10-2008 12:46 PM

^ ^ ^ I think the crown over the letter A was changed when she became a Countess but I'm not 100% sure!

Lilla 04-10-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelia (Post 752073)
^ ^ ^ I think the crown over the letter A was changed when she became a Countess but I'm not 100% sure!

It was. When she was a Princess, she had the same crown over the letter A as the one over the monogram of Joachim and Marie. The one she has now is a crown of a Countess - the letter though - is still the same.

Amelia 04-10-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilla (Post 752123)
It was. When she was a Princess, she had the same crown over the letter A as the one over the monogram of Joachim and Marie. The one she has now is a crown of a Countess - the letter though - is still the same.

Thank you, I remembered reading something about it but I wasn't sure :flowers:

Quote:

I like it! However, I believe the M looks a bit too similar to Mary's.
They are similar but I think Marie's has a softer, feminine look. I guess that there is only so many ways that they could do the M, they have three of them now :lol:

JessRulz 04-11-2008 01:46 AM

I really like Joachim & Marie's monogram - especially how (as another poster noted) that the two Js are turned inwards to make a heart :wub::wub:

ricarda 04-11-2008 03:57 AM

It's a really beautiful monogram, I love it.
I didn't know that Joachim inherited his mother's artistic talent. :smile:

Madame Royale 04-11-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 752121)
I like it! However, I believe the M looks a bit too similar to Mary's.

I agree. It's the same M, just longer in design and not as thick.

I, to be honest, think the M should be smaller than the J's. She is afterall only the wife, not the royal by blood. Frederik and Mary's monogram displays the F's higher than the M and I think it should be the same in this case.

ayvee 04-12-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 752290)
I agree. It's the same M, just longer in design and not as thick.

I, to be honest, think the M should be smaller than the J's. She is afterall only the wife, not the royal by blood. Frederik and Mary's monogram displays the F's higher than the M and I think it should be the same in this case.

I too was hoping that the J higher would be higher than the M sort of like this:
https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ee/CPM/510.jpg
I think the J (shaped like a heart) could certainly enclose the M.

For Joachim and Alexandra's joint monogram, the A was higher than the J so this must be Joachim's preference.

-Ayvee

Madame Royale 04-13-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayvee (Post 752680)
I too was hoping that the J higher would be higher than the M sort of like this:
https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ee/CPM/510.jpg
I think the J (shaped like a heart) could certainly enclose the M.

For Joachim and Alexandra's joint monogram, the A was higher than the J so this must be Joachim's preference.

-Ayvee

I agree. The J hypher could certainly enclose the M, but as you have mentioned, it must be Joachim's preference.

BurberryBrit 04-13-2008 02:07 PM

I LOVE how the J's wrap around the M to form a heart. Love it!!!

HRH Kerry 04-13-2008 06:20 PM

I'm certainly in the minority here since I don't like it. I don't like the font style of the two Js. A little too modern for my taste.

Royal Fan 04-13-2008 07:21 PM

I Like it.

politikgirl 04-14-2008 10:17 PM

I really like the monogram. Did Joachim design his joint monogram with Alexandra too? I know the Queen designs the rest of the monograms... (speaking of, when are we going to see Isabella's monogram?).

ladybelline 04-15-2008 02:13 PM

Article from hellomagazine about the monogram:

Palace reveals wedding logo for Joachim and Marie's nuptials

principessa 04-15-2008 02:22 PM

I like the monogram. The two "J" look to me like a heart. Oh my god, what a lot of love.

Leslie2006 05-06-2008 02:13 AM

That's odd. I always thought Marie's manogram would be M-A (for Marie-Agathe) since Crown Princess Mary's is M.

HRHEarlofGwynedd 05-11-2008 01:36 PM

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and King Constatine II of the Hellnes are also Grand Commanders of the Dannebrog. The Grand Commander is given to Royal with close family ties to the Danish Royal House. Constatine married Anne-Marie, sister of Queen Margrethe. Margrethe's mother, Ingrid was the aunt of Carl XVI Gustaf.

robby86 05-11-2008 01:47 PM

Does the little princess have her monogram yet?

magnik 05-11-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby86 (Post 764490)
Does the little princess have her monogram yet?

According to RF website-she doesn't like Nikolai and Felix
The Danish Monarchy - The Royal House - HRH Princess Isabella

robby86 05-11-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik (Post 764501)
According to RF website-she doesn't like Nikolai and Felix
The Danish Monarchy - The Royal House - HRH Princess Isabella

Thats what I thought. She is a year already, when will she get hers?

JessRulz 05-12-2008 01:40 AM

Isabella will more than likely get her monogram when she turns 18, like Nikolai and Felix will :smile:

robby86 05-12-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz (Post 764615)
Isabella will more than likely get her monogram when she turns 18, like Nikolai and Felix will :smile:

So Christian got his know because he is third in line? I didn't realize they had to wait.

Catharina 05-26-2008 12:44 PM

Marie's monogram

I know, I'm always asking about monograms (still waiting for Isabella's)... :whistling: But still... Where's Marie's?

I can't remember for the life of me whether Alexandra got hers right after the wedding or not, but it feels strange that Joachim and Marie have a shared monogram but she doesn't have her own yet. Has the queen become cautious after the breakup of Joachim's first marriage or is Marie going to have a different role or position than Alex?

Her_Majesty 05-26-2008 02:24 PM

I am quite curious how Marie's monogram will look like.

But maybe they'll just take the M of Joachim's and Marie's Monogram.

Joachim's and Marie's monogram

Possible Monogram for Marie

jamesandype 08-10-2008 11:17 PM

Do you think Isabella's monogram will resemble the late Queen Ingrid's monogram? since both begin with a I.

I don't think Isabella, Nikolia or Felix will get their monograms until they are 18. Frederik and Joachim both got theirs at 18 (right?)

I highly agree ... where is Marie's monogram. I think the M looks to similar to Mary's monogram, maybe the Queen add some curls or something - time will tell:whistling::flowers:

sgl 10-12-2008 03:25 PM

I am surprised that we have not seen a monogram for Marie yet. They will be married six months this November. Did Alexandra wait as long before she received hers?

marmi 10-12-2008 06:55 PM

Well I'm not sure of the precedent but I think that she ought to have one by Christmas/New Year. By her first wedding anniversary at the latest.

acdc1 10-12-2008 07:37 PM

I'm thinking that it's taking so long because they're trying to figure out how to set Marie's apart from Mary's. That's just IMO

sgl 10-20-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 836485)
I'm thinking that it's taking so long because they're trying to figure out how to set Marie's apart from Mary's. That's just IMO

You have an excellent point, acdc1. It will be interesting to see how this is done. Queen Margarethe is very talented, so I am sure that she will come up with something interesting.