The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   The Duke of Cambridge as President of The British Academy of Film & Television Arts (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/the-duke-of-cambridge-as-president-of-the-british-academy-of-film-and-television-arts-45579.html)

JessRulz 11-21-2006 01:03 AM

The Duke of Cambridge as President of The British Academy of Film & Television Arts

https://i62.tinypic.com/30kxfu0.png
Arms of HRH The Duke of Cambridge

The Duke of Cambridge as
President of The British Academy of Film and Television Arts

Announced February 21, 2010

"The British Academy of Film and Television Arts - BAFTA - is a world-leading independent arts charity. In addition to its Awards ceremonies, BAFTA has a year-round, international programme of learning events and initiatives that offers unique access to some of the world’s most inspiring talent through workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK, USA and Asia."

Official Website

Sonjapearl 02-15-2010 08:52 PM

According to the Express' Richard Palmer:

"Prince William will reach another milestone in his official life when he attends Britain's premier film awards for first time."

"Prince William will meet Hollywood stars when he presents a trophy at the Baftas on Sunday."

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter

Lumutqueen 02-16-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonjapearl (Post 1051425)
"Prince William will reach another milestone in his official life when he attends Britain's premier film awards for first time."

I don't know why this is a milestone? :ermm:
It's nice for him to attend i suppose.

Opal 02-16-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1051536)
I don't know why this is a milestone? :ermm:

I would imagine because he's never attended anything like this before.
I guess it's official if it's on the Royal's website. There's no mention of it on the BAFTA's website though.

Lumutqueen 02-16-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal (Post 1051798)
I would imagine because he's never attended anything like this before.
I guess it's official if it's on the Royal's website. There's no mention of it on the BAFTA's website though.

Yeah but attending a celebrity event IMO is not a milestone.
A milestone is something big. :ermm:

Sereta 02-16-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonjapearl (Post 1051425)
According to the Express' Richard Palmer:

"Prince William will meet Hollywood stars when he presents a trophy at the Baftas on Sunday."

Richard Palmer (RoyalReporter) on Twitter

How exciting! I can't wait to see this!!

Sereta 02-17-2010 06:07 PM

Does anybody know if the Bafta Awards are broadcast in the U.S. and if so on what channel - maybe one of the cable channels? Thank you!

Lumutqueen 02-17-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereta (Post 1052351)
Does anybody know if the Bafta Awards are broadcast in the U.S. and if so on what channel - maybe one of the cable channels? Thank you!

BBC America usually broadcasts the event.

Dierna23 02-18-2010 12:01 AM

Prince William to hand a Bafta to republican Vanessa Redgrave

Quote:

Presenting a prestigious award to an avowed republican is probably not what Prince William had in mind for his latest royal milestone.
Prince William to hand a Bafta to republican Vanessa Redgrave | Mail Online

Lumutqueen 02-18-2010 07:27 AM

:previous:
Talk about taking the prestige out of an award.
It was not neccessary to mention that Vannessa is a republican, i'm sure she'll be honoured to recieve her Academy Fellowship Award.

muriel 02-18-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1052461)
:previous:
Talk about taking the prestige out of an award.
It was not neccessary to mention that Vannessa is a republican, i'm sure she'll be honoured to recieve her Academy Fellowship Award.

Lumutqueen - Not sure I really understand what you mean by your comment?

Lumutqueen 02-18-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1052468)
Lumutqueen - Not sure I really understand what you mean by your comment?

Vannessa is recieving the 2nd most prestigious award in the film industry in my opinion, yet all the mail decides to talk about, is how she is a republican.

iceflower 02-21-2010 05:06 PM

Prince William attends the Orange British Academy Film Awards
2010 at the Royal Opera House on February 21, 2010 in London,
England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** zimbio ** belga **

Sereta 02-21-2010 05:49 PM

Looks like he walked the red carpet. I look forward to watching this.

Lumutqueen 02-21-2010 06:22 PM

Its a wonderful entrance, he looks beautiful in black tie. I hope I haven't missed him :smile:

https://www.bafta.org/awards/film/news,1029,BA.html

He's to succeed Richard Attenborough as President of BAFTA.

Zonk 02-21-2010 06:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Now his appearance at the BAFTA's makes sense.

I didn't understand the Royal Family's previous association with the BAFTA's and was concerned that the Prince was blurring the lines between royalty and celebrity. But now I have a better understanding.

Lumutqueen 02-21-2010 06:43 PM

Neither did I. He's on now and Jonathon Ross has just announced it that Richard is retiring due to illness.
Unfortunatly William seems very nervous (understandable) and he kept his eyes on his card. :ermm:

Sereta 02-22-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1053567)
Thanks for the info. Now his appearance at the BAFTA's makes sense.

I was a little concerned about this too. But now we know the reason. Congrats to William about becoming their new President. I do hope Richard Attenborough will be ok whatever his illness is.

Did anyone else watch the BAFTA awards last night? William looked dapper in his tux.
I don't know what all the fuss about Vanessa Redgrave being a replublican was. She was very gracious and respectful, and even did a deep curtsey to William. She was obviously moved about receiving her Fellowship award.

Lumutqueen 02-22-2010 05:36 PM

The press were trying to capitalise on the irony, a republic recieving a lifetime achievement award from the royal. :smile:

Princejohnny25 02-22-2010 06:02 PM

Video: Bafta winners 2010: Prince William presents Vanessa Redgrave with award - Telegraph

Vanessa Redgrave praised both the Prince of Wales and the late Diana, Princess of Wales and gave a deep elegant cursty to Prince William. She is a grande dame that one, one of my favs to watch.