The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-king-and-queen-of-the-netherlands-october-23-24-2018-a-45147.html)

wbenson 07-03-2018 07:14 AM

State Visit from The King and Queen of The Netherlands: October 23-24, 2018

https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-kin...en-netherlands

Their Majesties The King and Queen of the Netherlands have accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 23rd to 24th October 2018.

The King and Queen of the Netherlands will stay at Buckingham Palace.

sophie25 07-03-2018 07:25 AM

This would have been Meghan's first big tiara event but I think she'll be in Australia then. Pity.

Ilse 07-03-2018 07:34 AM

A very short state visit!

carina_a 07-03-2018 07:40 AM

I can't wait to see Máxima slay the jewellery game...

An Ard Ri 07-03-2018 07:46 AM

Incoming British State Visit are the Crème de la crème ,but it seems to be a 2 day State Visit but regardless I am really looking forward to this one!

Tilia C. 07-03-2018 07:52 AM

Does that mean that they will leave on the evening of the second day, so that there can be no Guildhall banquet? That's a great pity. But the State Banquet will be very glittering, and with such high profile guests the news coverage will be excellent.

HMQueenElizabethII 07-03-2018 08:07 AM

This is marvelous news!! After the Spanish State Visit last year and the longing for an incoming Royal State Visit, this State Visit from the Dutch counterparts has finally come!! I am extremely over the moon with the news!!

wyevale 07-03-2018 08:11 AM

So, SO chuffed at this news, and will certainly go and cheer their Majesties.
But why just two days ?

Pranter 07-03-2018 08:42 AM

Very quick visit....Guessing Kate and William will attend. A shame Harry/Meghan out of the country at the time.

LaRae

Dman 07-03-2018 08:46 AM

Great to hear, but why so short?

The King will be getting the Garter.

Mbruno 07-03-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2129024)
https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-kin...en-netherlands

Their Majesties The King and Queen of the Netherlands have accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 23rd to 24th October 2018.

The King and Queen of the Netherlands will stay at Buckingham Palace.

I am surprised to hear the news about this unexpected state visit. Personally, I think a Belgian state visit would have been more urgent (considering that the last one was in the 1960s), but I guess that was a political decision of the British government.

W.Y.CII 07-03-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129038)
I am surprised to hear the news about this unexpected state visit. Personally, I think a Belgian state visit would have been more urgent (considering that the last one was in the 1960s), but I guess that was a political decision of the British government.

I think the Belgian state visit will be coming soon, hopefully next year?

Blog Real 07-03-2018 09:31 AM

An unexpected visit. But I am glad that the Kings of Holland can make this state visit. When is the state visit from Belgium to the UK?

ROYAL NORWAY 07-03-2018 10:14 AM

Previous state visits from the Netherlands to the UK during the Queen's GLORIOUS reign:

11–15 April 1972:

The Royal Watcher: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1972 - photos

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1972 - photos

Getty Images: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1972 - photos

16–19 November 1982:

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1982 - photos

Getty Images: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1982 - photos

Getty Images: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1982 - video 1

Getty Images: State Visit from the Netherlands, 1982 - video 2

suztav 07-03-2018 10:15 AM

This promises to be one major bling of a visit! I cannot wait! Max always wears major bling, as does QEII. Yippee!

muriel 07-03-2018 11:04 AM

Not totally unexpected that the UK will offer a state visit to a major European economy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Royals Community mobile app

Mbruno 07-03-2018 11:16 AM

Will the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge receive Dutch orders ?

Mbruno 07-03-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2129063)
Not totally unexpected that the UK will offer a state visit to a major European economy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Royals Community mobile app

Actually, by GDP size, the Netherlands must be only the fifth largest continental economy after Germany, France, Italy and Spain. However, the British seem to have this ( in my opinion mistaken) perception that they can lure the Dutch to be on their side in the Brexit negotiations.

Dman 07-03-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129070)
Will the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge receive Dutch orders ?

It’s very likely indeed.

Marengo 07-03-2018 11:52 AM

A rather surprising visit. A state visit at this point seems utterly useless, a waste of money & a complete charade. The visit is scheduled 4 days after the October European counsel, which supposedly will see an agreement of the EU and the UK about whatever it is the British want for their future. For now all hard decisions have been postponed.If the meeting has been successful it may be a nice way of emphasizing the future. If not, the phrases will sound even more hollow than usual.

During the king's reign these state visits are usually accompanied by economic missions. I am not sure if that will be the case here as there is a lot of uncertainty about our future relations. The only thing we know is that they will be more distant than they are now.

Anyway, it is a nice surprise to see a visit during this reign. A pity the duke and duchess of Sussex will not be around but there will be more than enough jewels to look forward to. The Stuart diamond will perhaps finally see the light of day again.

The Dutch orders are a mess, so it is difficult to predict what orders the duke and duchess of Cambridge will be receiving. The Duchess of Cornwall did not wear a Dutch order during the inauguration either, but I am sure she will receive one now. Neither the king nor the queen have any British orders.

wyevale 07-03-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

perception
It is YOUR perception that is mistaken.. The Dutch King can no more influence the Brexit process than HMQ can..They are Constitutional Monarchs, so it is their Governments 'that make the running' in Political matters..
This is the first State Visit to Britain for the new King of the Netherlands, just as the visit here of the Kings of Spain was for Felipe iv..

Mbruno 07-03-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2129082)
It is YOUR perception that is mistaken.. The Dutch King can no more influence the Brexit process than HMQ can..They are Constitutional Monarchs, so it is their Governments 'that make the running' in Political matters..
This is the first State Visit to Britain for the new King of the Netherlands, just as the visit here of the Kings of Spain was for Felipe iv..

You seem to overlook that members of the government and business delegations are often also part of state visits. If the British government had no political interest in that visit, the King of the Netherlands would not have been invited .

lucien 07-03-2018 12:09 PM

Looking very much forward to this State Visit!!

wartenberg7 07-03-2018 12:19 PM

So much to the one poster who seriously claimed there wouldn´t be any further state visits in the next perhaps 20 years because the british state had to save money and a future King Charles III would be too old to hold state visits....

Didn´t believe it anyway....

Yes that short duration of 2 days is rather odd. There won´t even be time for a return event, always a diplomatic gesture of greatefulness of the state visitor!

wyevale 07-03-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

often also part of state visits.
I'm perfectly aware of that.. but since NEITHER the Minister for exiting the EU, or any member of his team NOR M. Barnier [the EU's chief negotiator] form a part of any State visit delegation, this matter has no bearing on the outcome of the negotiations, which will [in any case] be completed before the visit takes place...

TLLK 07-03-2018 12:42 PM

Ouch! This is a very rude headline IMO.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-meghan-markle

Quote:

Queen invites King and Queen of Netherlands for state visit – but Meghan is not invited

Curryong 07-03-2018 12:48 PM

Yes, and seemingly ignorant as well, as the journalist probably knows very well that the Sussexes will be in Sydney on that date.

Marengo 07-03-2018 12:50 PM

:previous:

No surprise from the Express. It is the worst of all tabloids.

wyevale 07-03-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

the worst of all tabloids.
TRUE.. and in a VERY 'competitive field'...

TLLK 07-03-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2129096)
Yes, and seemingly ignorant as well, as the journalist probably knows very well that the Sussexes will be in Sydney on that date.

Designed to purposely draw in clicks and comments.:ermm:

PetticoatLane 07-03-2018 02:11 PM

Another complete waste of money, time and effort. Who on earth decides which countries to invite on a state visit and when they should be held? Totally brainless numbskulls?

This visit is completely and utterly POINTLESS. The UK should be widening its horizons to the vast majority of the planet not inside the EU and willing and able to make trade deals with us. Even if this were relevant to the negotiations which should have concluded at that point, in reality the Dutch have very little real power within the EU. Some here mention trade, but we've been told the EU won't want to trade with us after we leave so why bother trying?

This visit will have the same benefit to the actual citizens of the UK as the Spanish - zero, none, zip, nada. It's time for a complete change of emphasis and of policy when it comes to these visits. For the visit of actual decision makers - go all the way. With the visit of powerless "figureheads" these things must be slimmed down massively. Absolutely no problem with reciprocal arrangements when British royals go abroad. A visit like this will do absolutely nothing for the Dutch also.

I understand it's the government who decide who gets invited, but the Queen will have a massive input on the scale and ultimately the expense. Time for her to show her leadership on this. There has to be more to the monarchy than looking at sparkly tiaras and wondering which royal is wearing the ribbon of some exclusive club the rest of us have never heard of. Time to prove their relevance to a post-EU UK.

An Ard Ri 07-03-2018 02:13 PM

I wouldn't expect Queen Maxima to receive any British orders but perhaps the King might and the Dutch might hand out a few too as per the example of Queen Beatrix back in 1982.

Rudolph 07-03-2018 02:24 PM

The king will receive the Order of the Garter. Just like Felipe did.

Marengo 07-03-2018 02:30 PM

The late prince Claus still received the Victorian order. The late prince Bernhard received the order of Bath. But it seems that things have changed as Queen Letizia did not receive an order last year.

An Ard Ri 07-03-2018 02:34 PM

If the Duchess of Cambridge is present she might receive her 1st Royal Order as the Princess of Wales did in 1982.

Mbruno 07-03-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2129078)

During the king's reign these state visits are usually accompanied by economic missions. I am not sure if that will be the case here as there is a lot of uncertainty about our future relations. The only thing we know is that they will be more distant than they are now.

The Netherlands have trade and economic relations with several countries outside the EU (China, India, the United States, Canada, etc.). Why should it stop trading with the UK just because the UK is leaving the single market and the customs union ?

I think you are being overly gullible about Juncker and Barnier's nonsensical rhetoric.

wartenberg7 07-03-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetticoatLane (Post 2129111)
Another complete waste of money, time and effort. Who on earth decides which countries to invite on a state visit and when they should be held? Totally brainless numbskulls?

This visit is completely and utterly POINTLESS. The UK should be widening its horizons to the vast majority of the planet not inside the EU and willing and able to make trade deals with us. Even if this were relevant to the negotiations which should have concluded at that point, in reality the Dutch have very little real power within the EU. Some here mention trade, but we've been told the EU won't want to trade with us after we leave so why bother trying?

This visit will have the same benefit to the actual citizens of the UK as the Spanish - zero, none, zip, nada. It's time for a complete change of emphasis and of policy when it comes to these visits. For the visit of actual decision makers - go all the way. With the visit of powerless "figureheads" these things must be slimmed down massively. Absolutely no problem with reciprocal arrangements when British royals go abroad. A visit like this will do absolutely nothing for the Dutch also.

I understand it's the government who decide who gets invited, but the Queen will have a massive input on the scale and ultimately the expense. Time for her to show her leadership on this. There has to be more to the monarchy than looking at sparkly tiaras and wondering which royal is wearing the ribbon of some exclusive club the rest of us have never heard of. Time to prove their relevance to a post-EU UK.

So, you wanne abolish state visits (and, other than working or official visits, they include some extent of ceremonial - no matter in a republic or a monarchy) alltoghether?!
You cannot say these visits do anything; the visiting head of state, no matter president or monarch, always brings a big entourage of economy people , businessmen and entrepreneurs - not to forget the foreign minister/ foreign secretary of state, along with him/ her meeting with their counterparts from the other country, making deals, which do have an effect on many people´s lives which one normally just does not realise in our normal daily lives.

All the grandeur and pomp on display we see on these visits, and we have much, much less these days than we still used to have about 15, 20 years ago, are gestures of friendship, a bond between two nations and sometimes even reconciliation.

A, in germany still famous example, is the Queen´ s 1st state visit to Germany in 1965 and it lasted about 2 weeks! I had such a huge impact on post war germany it is pretty often discussed even today.

The 2 heads of state, who stand symbolically as "stand-ins" for all the citizens of their respective countries, meet on a level of the most pestigious and highest diplomatic level. It is a mark of respect towards the guest to put out all your finery, to dress up as best as you can, to really make an effort and, on the other hand, as a guest to return the favour some day.

I think just BECAUSE the UK left the EU, visits on the highest level (and the political actors behind closed doors) between Britain and european countries have again become even more imortant than some years ago!

tommy100 07-03-2018 03:33 PM

Delighted to hear WA and Maxima are heading this way on State Visit! It is short, most state visits are usually 3 days but in fairness they still fit in most of the important set piece events such as the State Banquet and possibly even the Guildhall -they may just fly back out straight after, who knows!

Personally I just hope Maxima brings out the big gun tiara, hopefully the Lux state visit was just a teaser!

Marengo 07-03-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129123)
I think you are being overly gullible about Juncker and Barnier's nonsensical rhetoric.

Perhaps we can refrain from insulting the other side of the debate. Otherwise it is tempting for others to be less civil too.

I will not elaborate on the rest of the message as it will veer too much off topic. Obviously we will still be trading in the future, just on what terms remains unclear.

---

The King and Queen will be accompanied by the minister of Foreign Affairs, Stef Blok - as usual for these visits.

Queen Beatrix arrived in London with a ship of the Dutch navy, which looked wonderful. But I don't think this has happened in the UK (or The Netherlands) in recent years.

tommy100 07-03-2018 03:42 PM

In 2005 for an official visit as part of the Norwegian Centenary Celebrations the RF arrived on the Royal Yacht Norge on the Thames. But somehow I doubt the Dutch monarch will do that, not when they have just bought a new airplane for events such as this.

Princess Larisa 07-03-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2129119)
The late prince Claus still received the Victorian order. The late prince Bernhard received the order of Bath. But it seems that things have changed as Queen Letizia did not receive an order last year.

Nothing has changed. The Queen has always given orders to MALE consorts and nothing to the female consorts. :glare:

Mbruno 07-03-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2129150)
Nothing has changed. The Queen has always given orders to MALE consorts and nothing to the female consorts. :glare:

Exactly. Both Prince Claus and Prince Henrik received orders from Queen Elizabeth II, but she has never giiven a British order to to a foreign queen consort.

I wonder why she does that.

Marengo 07-03-2018 04:31 PM

Perhaps a tradition inherited from previous reigns?

Though Prince Bernhard received his order only in 1958, so during Queen Elizabeth's state visit to the Netherlands, and not during Juliana's state visit to George VI.

Prince Hendrik (of The Netherlands) received the order of Bath in 1907 from Edward VII. Not during a state visit (there were none from or to the UK in the years he was a prince consort) but for his role during the shipping disaster in Hook of Holland, where the British steam ferry SS Berlin - from Harwich - broke in two on the pier & 128 people drowned. Prince Hendrik -with top hat and white gloves- was on a boat that saved 11 people from the wreck. The prince was praised for his 'heroism' and ended up on the front pages of the (inter)national newspapers. It was a marking point in an otherwise sad life.

Non-related Queen consorts apparently did not receive orders, f.e. Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians only received an order of the British red cross and not a royal order, while she did accompany her husband -who had the Garter and the Bath orders- on a state visit to the UK. The same goes for Queen Elena of Italy, who did not receive a British order while her husband did. (Closely) related Queen consorts such as Marie of Romania and the Empress Alexandra received the order of Victoria and Albert.

Dman 07-03-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129156)
Exactly. Both Prince Claus and Prince Henrik received orders from Queen Elizabeth II, but she has never giiven a British order to to a foreign queen consort.

I have no idea and it’s rather strange. I think she may be following some precedence.

An Ard Ri 07-03-2018 04:36 PM

The late Prince Henrik of Denmark had 3 British Orders!

Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order

Princess Larisa 07-03-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129156)

No one knows why.
I just assumed that this was how her father did things and she continued when becoming Queen so young. By the time things became more egalitarian in society she probably didn’t want to change things. Will be interesting how Charles does things, since apparently Camilla didn’t get a Spanish Order because of this.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-03-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2129093)
Ouch! This is a very rude headline IMO.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-meghan-markle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2129097)
No surprise from the Express. It is the worst of all tabloids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2129099)
TRUE.. and in a VERY 'competitive field'...

Don't tell me about it.

Although known as the ''Daily Diana'' during the 1990s/2000s (due to all their ridiculous stories/front pages about her), the Express was actually VERY pro-Queen and pro-monarchy - and even quite serious in their royal coverage from 2006 to 2013.
Both the paper/online versions had an almost over-exaggerated coverage of the Queen's 80th Birthday in 2006 and the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, where she was praised like no other (the only newspaper who beat them in coverage/praising was the Telegraph, the most pro-monarchy newspaper in the UK).

So what happened? Well, when William came under criticism from the media for ''not wanting to be a full time working royal'' in 2013 and for the expensive renovations of apartment A1 in 2014, the Express found out that such kind of stories makes more people click on the articles, so they changed their royal covering style.
And when William was criticized for only working 80 hours a month as an air ambulance pilot in early 2016 - and was called workshy, lazy, uncharismatic and boring, the Expresssbused it for all it's worth and again changed their royal covering style (this time to the extreme).

--------------------

Now, they're worse than ever with their false stories (copied from gossip magazines), their factual errors and their utterly ridiculous headlines. - Even the DF is serious in comparison, something I never thought I should say, but I said it.

Somebody 07-03-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129073)
Actually, by GDP size, the Netherlands must be only the fifth largest continental economy after Germany, France, Italy and Spain. However, the British seem to have this ( in my opinion mistaken) perception that they can lure the Dutch to be on their side in the Brexit negotiations.

But the second monarchy :smile: after Spain who already visited.

Zaira 07-03-2018 09:23 PM

IMO, some traditions should be broken and giving an order to the male consort but not female ones is one of them. Absolutely out of date, but then again, the Queen is IMO (for the most part, please don't pelt me with a history lesson) loathed to change things unless she is forced to so there is that.

I LOVE Maxima, so I am excited for this visit, but sad the Sussexes will not be able to attend. Hopefully Kate will attend/be done with maternity leave (although I know she is technically allowed to take a full year) so we can get a nice array of tiaras! I expect Queen Maxima to bring out her big gun tiaras for the visit.

Maxima has a history of being a real support to other consorts (Charlene, Masako, Letizia) so I do hope she and Catherine have an event together! Camilla as well.

Dman 07-03-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2129256)
IMO, some traditions should be broken and giving an order to the male consort but not female ones is one of them. Absolutely out of date, but then again, the Queen is IMO (for the most part, please don't pelt me with a history lesson) loathed to change things unless she is forced to so there is that.

I LOVE Maxima, so I am excited for this visit, but sad the Sussexes will not be able to attend. Hopefully Kate will attend/be done with maternity leave (although I know she is technically allowed to take a full year) so we can get a nice array of tiaras! I expect Queen Maxima to bring out her big gun tiaras for the visit.

Maxima has a history of being a real support to other consorts (Charlene, Masako, Letizia) so I do hope she and Catherine have an event together! Camilla as well.

Yes, some things should change and the Queen Consorts should get an Order during State Visits.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 08:49 AM

The Queen and the Duke hold the premier state honour (Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw) and the premier dynastical honour (Orde in de Gouden Leeuw van het Huis Nassau).

The Prince of Wales holds the second state honour (Orde van Oranje-Nassau) and the second dynastical honour (Huisorde van Oranje).

The Princess Royal holds the second dynastical honour (Huisorde van Oranje).

We have seen in Denmark that the King sometimes makes an unusual step: the premier state honour for Crown Prince Frederik and - Princess Mary. This was exceptional.

My prediction:

The Prince of Wales will get the premier state honour as well (Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw), making him the holder of three Dutch honours.

Unlike Crown Princess Mary, this Order will not be given to The Duchess of Cornwall. Reason: the lack of British reciprocity, no British state honour for Queen Máxima. However... I do not rule out that King Willem-Alexander will ignore this and bestow Camilla the same Order as Charles. Who knows?

Based on usual logic:

The Duchess of Cornwall will be given the second dynastical Order (Huisorde van Oranje) alike Diana.

The Duke of Cambridge will receive this too.

The Duchess of Cambridge will receive this too.

The Duke of York will receive this too.

The Earl of Wessex will receive this too.

The Countess of Wessex will receive this too.

The Princess Royal already holds said Order.

Other members of the British royal family will receive no honour from the King, maybe just a commemorative medal.

That is my prediction.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 09:18 AM

The fifth of the remaining 27 EU states is a big economy. Bigger dan Sweden, or Austria, or Belgium, or Denmark, or Poland, or Portugal, etc.

Plus one has to look to the regionality of the economy. The giants Royal Dutch Shell and Royal Unilever are Anglo-Dutch mergers. Dutch companies as Philips or AkzoNobel own major premises in the UK. Albello (a daughter of Netherlands Railways) exploits large public transportation concessions on the British isles. The uranium enrichment company Urenco is Anglo-Dutch as well. Dutch energy and water companies have a firm chunk in the British market. The British have always seen the Dutch and the Scandinavians as their "natural allies" in Europe. In general the Dutch and the Scandinavians always tried to use the UK as a counter weight against the mighty Axis Berlin-Paris, or as a counter weight of North European interests against South European sort of politics. The British will hope to find an understanding ear in the Brexit process. Never underestimate centuries old bonds between neighbours.

Another bond is that with Mary I Stuart, Mary II Stuart and Anne of Hanover there were three British consorts. It could have been four, was the engagement between Charlotte of Wales and Willem not abruptly broken up.

Mbruno 07-04-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129335)
The Queen and the Duke hold the premier state honour (Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw) and the premier dynastical honour (Orde in de Gouden Leeuw van het Huis Nassau).

The Prince of Wales holds the second state honour (Orde van Oranje-Nassau) and the second dynastical honour (Huisorde van Oranje).

The Princess Royal holds the second dynastical honour (Huisorde van Oranje).

We have seen in Denmark that the King sometimes makes an unusual step: the premier state honour for Crown Prince Frederik and - Princess Mary. This was exceptional.

My prediction:

The Prince of Wales will get the premier state honour as well (Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw), making him the holder of three Dutch honours.

Unlike Crown Princess Mary, this Order will not be given to The Duchess of Cornwall. Reason: the lack of British reciprocity, no British state honour for Queen Máxima. However... I do not rule out that King Willem-Alexander will ignore this and bestow Camilla the same Order as Charles. Who knows?

Based on usual logic:

The Duchess of Cornwall will be given the second dynastical Order (Huisorde van Oranje) alike Diana.

The Duke of Cambridge will receive this too.

The Duchess of Cambridge will receive this too.

The Duke of York will receive this too.

The Earl of Wessex will receive this too.

The Countess of Wessex will receive this too.

The Princess Royal already holds said Order.

Other members of the British royal family will receive no honour from the King, maybe just a commemorative medal.

That is my prediction.

According to your predictions, it looks like King Willem-Alexander is very generous in giving out orders !

I am not so sure that the Duke of York or the Wessexes will be decorated, but I agree with your other predictions.

cepe 07-04-2018 09:52 AM

The problem with british orders is that they are very specific re reasons for giving ( ie OofBath usually civil servants or military) and the highest order(Garter) does not have secondary levels.

The RVO could be used but why HMQ doesnt do that is a mystery. I think Charles will be more generous.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 2129346)
The problem with british orders is that they are very specific re reasons for giving ( ie OofBath usually civil servants or military) and the highest order(Garter) does not have secondary levels.

The RVO could be used but why HMQ doesnt do that is a mystery. I think Charles will be more generous.

The Dutch King uses a "loophole" by granting dynastic honours. For this the King signs a Hofbesluit (Court Decree) which needs no ministerial contraseign. So we can say that these honours fall out of the framework of the bilateral agreements and are a sign of personal appreciation. Queen Juliana did so in 1972 to Charles and Anne. Queen Beatrix in 1982 to Diana. In both years Andrew and Edward did not take part.

In 1982 a Koninklijk Besluit (Royal Decree) was needed, with ministerial contraseign, to grant a state honour to Charles. This wil be needed again in 2018 for another state honour.

The eventual dynastic honours to Camilla, William, Catherine etc. just require the King's own will and pleasure. The Chancellery of the Netherlands' Orders will prepare the gift boxes and the accompanying original Decree in a velvet cilinder.

Madame Verseau 07-04-2018 11:52 AM

At this point Kate should have a Royal Family Order.

Rudolph 07-04-2018 12:02 PM

It’ll be nice to see the Cambridges during the State visit. The King and Queen were at W&C’s wedding plus Catherine met up with and had lunch with the King during her visit to the Netherlands.

Catherine and Maxima were on the balcony together for the remembrance service. Pics showed them talking and smiling.

An Ard Ri 07-04-2018 12:48 PM

Any chance of the king being overly generous and giving Princess Michael of Kent her 1st royal order ;)

wartenberg7 07-04-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2129176)
The late Prince Henrik of Denmark had 3 British Orders!

Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order

This, to prefer men in honouring them by giving them orders towards women, only because of their sex, cannot be kept in the next reign! Even more so as Britain said "bye bye" to male succession when at first a girl is born!

Queens (consorts) hold the title of a Majesty, exactly as the Queen herself, while Prince consorts, as we all know, do not! So, if you really want to prefer one certain sex and follow this logic of the different titles of consorts, it should be the ladies who are to prefer when it comes to orders!
So why the british Queen, and only she, sticks stubbornly to this outdated concept of male preference without any substance to it, is beyond me!

Perhaps the idea is from the past when orders had a strong military connection, when Princes or Dukes had to go out in campaign and were honoured when they returned victorious while royal women of course didn´ t ? But that is soooo long gone....!

Osipi 07-04-2018 01:02 PM

I think when it comes to orders and Queen Elizabeth II, there are no rules and there are no protocols and its all entirely up to the will and the pleasure of the monarch in cases like this. The only person that really knows how it all works and why it works the way it does is the Queen, herself, and she ain't telling. :smile:

WillVictoria 07-04-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Verseau (Post 2129374)
At this point Kate should have a Royal Family Order.

One theory I've seen about why Kate doesn't have a family order (or at least HMs) is that the Queen's family order (with her picture on it) is produced on ivory which William is vehemently against.

Unless Kate gets a specially made ivory free order I think the status quo, where Kate doesn't have a family order but still gets sentimental jewelry loans like the Queen's wedding gift bracelet to show it isn't a snub, holds until the family order becomes ivory free (likely under Charles or William).

Katymcwaity 07-04-2018 01:24 PM

It does seem a glaring omission when you look at all the orders WA has got and even a little rude esp if the Brits are already have some.

Anyway v excited re the visit. Might get myself to the big smoke for the occasion

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2129385)
Any chance of the king being overly generous and giving Princess Michael of Kent her 1st royal order ;)

It is unlikely. The circle seems limited to children of a (future) King. The Earl and Countess of Athlone, full cousine to Queen Wilhelmina had no Dutch Order, I believe.

But George, Elizabeth, Elizabeth II, Philip, Margaret, Charles, Diana, Anne are (were) all sons or daughters of a (future) monarch (or spouses to) and did participate in State Visits.

In Norway, Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg all the children of the monarch whom participated in the State Visit by the Dutch monarch have a Dutch Order. Even Ari Behn (but no Grand-Cross for him: he was made a Commander).

ROYAL NORWAY 07-04-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2129256)

No, but I must admit that it's very tempting.

Because she is actually known (also among most British commentators) to be a VERY MODERN monarch who have changed with the times. - So perhaps you should take a look at the post below, or do a bit of research on her:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2079091

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2129389)
So why the british Queen, and only she, sticks stubbornly to this outdated concept of male preference without any substance to it, is beyond me!

The Queen is a 92-year-old lady whos been on the throne since 1952, so we cannot expect her to be up to date on everything, can we?

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katymcwaity (Post 2129399)
It does seem a glaring omission when you look at all the orders WA has got and even a little rude esp if the Brits are already have some.

Anyway v excited re the visit. Might get myself to the big smoke for the occasion

Beatrix got the Royal Victorian Order in 1954, the Royal Victorian Chain in 1982 and finally the Order of the Garter in 1989.

It would surprise me when the King gets the Garter. I expect the Royal Victorian Order first.

Rudolph 07-04-2018 01:43 PM

The king will receive the Garter on this visit. He’s the head of state of a traditional British allied country.

sophie25 07-04-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129404)
It is unlikely. The circle seems limited to children of a (future) King. The Earl and Countess of Athlone, full cousine to Queen Wilhelmina had no Dutch Order, I believe.

But George, Elizabeth, Elizabeth II, Philip, Margaret, Charles, Diana, Anne are (were) all sons or daughters of a (future) monarch (or spouses to) and did participate in State Visits.

In Norway, Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg all the children of the monarch whom participated in the State Visit by the Dutch monarch have a Dutch Order. Even Ari Behn (but no Grand-Cross for him: he was made a Commander).

Princess Alexandra of Kent has a Dutch Order but I don't know why she got it.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie25 (Post 2129412)
Princess Alexandra of Kent has a Dutch Order but I don't know why she got it.

Princess Alexandra was an official witness to Princess Beatrix for her wedding in 1966. Queen Beatrix bestowed the House of Orange Order to her in 1982. I think that is sweet. She has not forgotten her dear old bridal staff.

Katymcwaity 07-04-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129409)
Beatrix got the Royal Victorian Order in 1954, the Royal Victorian Chain in 1982 and finally the Order of the Garter in 1986.

It would surprise me when the King gets the Garter. I expect the Royal Victorian Order first.

It might well be William V granting the Garter if they go at the same pace!

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2129411)
The king will receive the Garter on this visit. He’s the head of state of a traditional British allied country.

That is no automatism. Queen Beatrix got the Garter in 1989. Years after her State Visit in 1982.

Rudolph 07-04-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129418)
That is no automatism. Queen Beatrix got the Garter in 1989. Years after her State Visit in 1982.

But I’m willing to eat my hat if the king doesn’t receive the Garter. Felipe received his order last year and I’m will to wager anything W-A receives his order this year.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 02:11 PM

Diana's own handwriting:

https://archief.paleishetloo.nl/wp-c...m-Haartsen.jpg

And wearing it:

https://archief.paleishetloo.nl/wp-c...beelding-1.jpg

JR76 07-04-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129420)

I love the piece of tape. Like the rubber band holding Queen Elizabeth's kokoshnik together it shows that they're just like the rest of us and make do with anything that's practical and at hand.

Mbruno 07-04-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2129389)
prefer when it comes to orders!

There are actually two ways to see it. On one hand, you may think that the Queen is showing "male preference" when she decorates male consorts, but doesn't hand out orders to female ones. However, from another point of view, you may argue that, on the contrary, the Queen, by doing that, is actually compensating male consorts for the gender discrimination they suffer as mere HRHs who are lower in status than their wives, in contrast to the (equal) HM status of queen consorts. Having experienced that asymmetry herself as a reigning monarch and Prince Philip's wife, the Queen is probably sensitive to that issue,

It is interesting that, in the past, when many orders of knighthood could be awarded to males only, consorts of reigning queens often accepted orders that, otherwise, would normally be given to their wives. That was the justification for example for the Spanish regency under the minority of Isabella II to award the Order of the Golden Fleece to Prince Albert, who was actually serving de facto as a proxy for Queen Victoria.

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/c...-golden-fleece

Somebody 07-04-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129340)
According to your predictions, it looks like King Willem-Alexander is very generous in giving out orders !

I am not so sure that the Duke of York or the Wessexes will be decorated, but I agree with your other predictions.

The Dutch are indeed typically very generous (royaal in Dutch). A clear example is Ari Behn's Dutch order when he didn't have a Norwegian one. Quite a contrast with the British, so it will be interesting to see how that will play into his decision.

For clarification for those interested in orders, the house order of Orange includes several orders among which two that include a grand cross distinction: one for nationals (to be seen on Laurentien at Prinsjesdag each year) and the crown order for foreigners (the king's go-to when not awarding the Dutch Lion, the former queen mostly used the Order of Orange-Nassau for less senior members of toyal families on statevisits). Furthermore, it includes 'crosses' and 'medals'.

Duc_et_Pair 07-04-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2129432)
The Dutch are indeed typically very generous (royaal in Dutch). A clear example is Ari Behn's Dutch order when he didn't have a Norwegian one. Quite a contrast with the British, so it will be interesting to see how that will play into his decision.

For clarification for those interested in orders, the house order of Orange includes several orders among which two that include a grand cross distinction: one for nationals (to be seen on Laurentien at Prinsjesdag each year) and the crown order for foreigners (the king's go-to when not awarding the Dutch Lion, the former queen mostly used the Order of Orange-Nassau for less senior members of toyal families on statevisits). Furthermore, it includes 'crosses' and 'medals'.

The heirs always got the Orde van Oranje-Nassau.
Other royals de Huisorde.

The only exception I can remember was the Infanta Doña Elena and the Infanta Doña Cristina. And Jordan royals. They got the honour which is usually given to heirs.

For an example Prince Laurent and Princess Claire got the Huisorde. The same to Prince Joachim and Princess Marie. Why the Infantas and the Jordans got a higher Order? Good question...

Diana got the Huisorde while she ranked as a heir, but I think Queen Beatrix felt she had to make the loophole via the Huisorde because of the British policy regarding female spouses (no reciprocity in state honours).

https://www.anp-archief.nl/image/201...ff2610c%29.jpg

https://www.who2.com/wp-content/uplo...16-730x485.jpg

Mary-Rose 07-04-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2129419)
But I’m willing to eat my hat if the king doesn’t receive the Garter. Felipe received his order last year and I’m will to wager anything W-A receives his order this year.

King Felipe already received the Royal Victorian Order in 1988 and the Order of the Garter 2017
King juan Carlos received the Royal Victorian Chain in 1986 and the Order of the Garter 1988. WA has no British order yet so I dont think WA receive the Order of the Garter during this State Visit

Mary-Rose 07-04-2018 04:09 PM

I think Duchess Camilla and Prince William will receive the Dutch "House order". Diana received this order so i guess Camilla will receive it too. Diana received no spanish order in 1986 and the same for Camilla 2017

Rudolph 07-04-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary-Rose (Post 2129443)
King Felipe already received the Royal Victorian Order in 1988 and the Order of the Garter 2017
King juan Carlos received the Royal Victorian Chain in 1986 and the Order of the Garter 1988. WA has no British order yet so I dont think WA receive the Order of the Garter during this State Visit

Felipe received the RVO as heir. The first visit as king he was granted the Garter.

W-A will most definitely receive the Garter on his state visit imo. There’s no way HMQ will bestow a ‘lesser’ order on a King of The Netherlands.

tommy100 07-04-2018 05:43 PM

I suspect the garter will be given but maybe a high level RVO may be fiven, does QE2 still give out the victorian chain?

Hope theres a full in carriage proccession and can’t wait to see what Max pulls out bag!

Mary-Rose 07-04-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2129450)
Felipe received the RVO as heir. The first visit as king he was granted the Garter.

W-A will most definitely receive the Garter on his state visit imo. There’s no way HMQ will bestow a ‘lesser’ order on a King of The Netherlands.

Yes he was the CP at this time. i just would like to say, I dont think she will give the highest at the first state visit with WA. Also King CG of sweden and King Harald, Queen/Princess Beatrix received the Order of the Garter NOT at the first State visit just at the return state visit or the third state visit. I think everyone who received the Order of the garter already received a lower order. We will see in october ;)

wbenson 07-04-2018 08:56 PM

I think I lean toward the King getting the Garter. For a long time, her norm for European monarchs was the Royal Victorian Chain on the first visit, and the Garter on the second, but she skipped the Royal Victorian Chain with King Felipe. My uninformed guess is that perhaps she's expecting that, with her limited travel, the opportunity for a return visit won't arise any time soon.

Somebody 07-04-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2129488)
I think I lean toward the King getting the Garter. For a long time, her norm for European monarchs was the Royal Victorian Chain on the first visit, and the Garter on the second, but she skipped the Royal Victorian Chain with King Felipe. My uninformed guess is that perhaps she's expecting that, with her limited travel, the opportunity for a return visit won't arise any time soon.

The Garter would be nice but I don't like the idea that Máxima is left out - especially given that the Dutch will most likely hand out several orders.

Nonetheless, it's quite likely that at some point a "return" visit (by king Charles) will take place - and their might even be state visits between the countries when William is king, so it's most likely not Willem-Alexander's only chance of receiving the Garter.

wartenberg7 07-05-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129429)
There are actually two ways to see it. On one hand, you may think that the Queen is showing "male preference" when she decorates male consorts, but doesn't hand out orders to female ones. However, from another point of view, you may argue that, on the contrary, the Queen, by doing that, is actually compensating male consorts for the gender discrimination they suffer as mere HRHs who are lower in status than their wives, in contrast to the (equal) HM status of queen consorts. Having experienced that asymmetry herself as a reigning monarch and Prince Philip's wife, the Queen is probably sensitive to that issue,

It is interesting that, in the past, when many orders of knighthood could be awarded to males only, consorts of reigning queens often accepted orders that, otherwise, would normally be given to their wives. That was the justification for example for the Spanish regency under the minority of Isabella II to award the Order of the Golden Fleece to Prince Albert, who was actually serving de facto as a proxy for Queen Victoria.

Well, we´re talking about orders here, not titles. And Philip has generally always received the highest of foreign orders from abroad!

Talking about Pr Albert, his proxy role was purely unofficial. There was no constitutional legitimation to it! I guess this would be highly controversial today.

So, if this was really the reason for the spanish Queen to grand him the Golden Fleece we don´ t know.

Zaira 07-05-2018 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2129408)
No, but I must admit that it's very tempting.

Because she is actually known (also among most British commentators) to be a VERY MODERN monarch who have changed with the times. - So perhaps you should take a look at the post below, or do a bit of research on her:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2079091

The Queen is a 92-year-old lady whos been on the throne since 1952, so we cannot expect her to be up to date on everything, can we?

Yes, I have actually read most noted bios on the Queen and many other sources because I am not someone who makes statements without having done my research. And I stand by my opinion. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2129489)
The Garter would be nice but I don't like the idea that Máxima is left out - especially given that the Dutch will most likely hand out several orders.

Nonetheless, it's quite likely that at some point a "return" visit (by king Charles) will take place - and their might even be state visits between the countries when William is king, so it's most likely not Willem-Alexander's only chance of receiving the Garter.

I would not be surprised if WA receives the Garter, but on the other hand I do not think Felipe receiving it on his first (state) visit makes it automatic that WA will on his first state visit as King. I can see that being more for Charles' reign, as you said.

My prediction is that WA will not receive the Garter, actually.

Osipi 07-05-2018 04:41 AM

It is my guess that WA will receive the garter. For me, the order is quite fitting for a visiting monarch because, as we know, those foreign royals that do receive the Order of the Garter fall into a specific category known as "Stranger Knights and Ladies Companion". They are not a part of the grouping that actually makes up the 24 Knights and Ladies Companion of the Garter. Even the members of the royal family that hold the Order of the Garter are in their own specific category as Royal Knights and Ladies Companion.

That's my thinking anyways. :biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2129468)
I suspect the garter will be given but maybe a high level RVO may be fiven, does QE2 still give out the victorian chain?

Hope theres a full in carriage proccession and can’t wait to see what Max pulls out bag!

To my knowledge, the Royal Victorian Chain isn't given out that often. In fact, Prince Philip is the only living member of the royal family to have been given the chain.

Duc_et_Pair 07-05-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2129523)
It is my guess that WA will receive the garter. For me, the order is quite fitting for a visiting monarch because, as we know, those foreign royals that do receive the Order of the Garter fall into a specific category known as "Stranger Knights and Ladies Companion". They are not a part of the grouping that actually makes up the 24 Knights and Ladies Companion of the Garter. Even the members of the royal family that hold the Order of the Garter are in their own specific category as Royal Knights and Ladies Companion.

That's my thinking anyways. :biggrin:

To my knowledge, the Royal Victorian Chain isn't given out that often. In fact, Prince Philip is the only living member of the royal family to have been given the chain.

Queen Beatrix with the Royal Victorian Order ánd the Royal Victorian Chain: picture. In the background Charles, Diana and Margaret with Dutch Orders.

My guess is that the King will be given the Royal Victorian Order first and made a Knight of the Garter later on.

Osipi 07-05-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129528)
Queen Beatrix with the Royal Victorian Order ánd the Royal Victorian Chain: picture.

My guess is that the King will be given the Royal Victorian Order first and made a Knight of the Garter later on.

Perhaps I should have clarified my sentence better. Philip is the only living member of the British royal family that has the chain. :biggrin:

Now all of this is just adding on to more and more reasons why this state visit is something to look forward to.

An Ard Ri 07-05-2018 06:17 AM

A little over 3 months away and one of the most anticipated State Visits given the amount of posts ,I wonder if the State Banquet will be at Buckingham Palace or at Windsor Castle?

Osipi 07-05-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2129535)
A little over 3 months away and one of the most anticipated State Visits given the amount of posts ,I wonder if the State Banquet will be at Buckingham Palace or at Windsor Castle?

If its in October, my guess would be that it'll be held at Buckingham Palace. More regal and the "main house" of the British monarchy to welcome the King and Queen of the Netherlands.

Bine221 07-05-2018 06:42 AM

I think, the most important question for jewel-Lovers like me will be: will Maxima wear the Stuart Tiara (in full size)?
BYe Bine

Mbruno 07-05-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bine221 (Post 2129543)
I think, the most important question for jewel-Lovers like me will be: will Maxima wear the Stuart Tiara (in full size)?
BYe Bine

I think she will wear the Stuart diamond because of its British connection, but will wear the side diamonds as earrings as she did at the Luxembourg state visit .

Duc_et_Pair 07-05-2018 07:05 AM

Yes, it will be held at Buckingham Palace, this was mentioned in the communiqué by the Court: https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-kin...en-netherlands

Back then in 1982 Queen Beatrix used Hampton Court Palace as venue for her counter-event. This because Hampton Court has strong links to Willem III of Nassau and Mary II Stuart, Prince and Princess of Orange.

No idea what the counter-event of King Willem-Alexander will be. On the website of the Koninklijk Huis is stated in Dutch that "this State Visit reaffirms the excellent ties between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as North Sea neighbours, based on shared values in the past, the present and the future". More details will follow.

Mbruno 07-05-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2129548)
Yes, it will be held at Buckingham Palace, this was mentioned in the communiqué by the Court: https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-kin...en-netherlands

Back then in 1982 Queen Beatrix used Hampton Court Palace as venue for her counter-event. This because Hampton Court has strong links to Willem III of Nassau and Mary II Stuart, Prince and Princess of Orange.

No idea what the counter-event of King Willem-Alexander will be. On the website of the Koninklijk Huis is stated in Dutch that "this State Visit reaffirms the excellent ties between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as North Sea neighbours, based on shared values in the past, the present and the future". More details will follow.

I am not sure there will be a return event considering that it is only a two-day visit.

W.Y.CII 07-05-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillVictoria (Post 2129398)
One theory I've seen about why Kate doesn't have a family order (or at least HMs) is that the Queen's family order (with her picture on it) is produced on ivory which William is vehemently against.

Unless Kate gets a specially made ivory free order I think the status quo, where Kate doesn't have a family order but still gets sentimental jewelry loans like the Queen's wedding gift bracelet to show it isn't a snub, holds until the family order becomes ivory free (likely under Charles or William).

I can be made in other materials I believe. Ivory isn't an unsolvable problem. It's more like the Queen doesn't prefer giving RFO to anyone from the third generation to me.

I guess W-A will get the Garter, it's very strange if he as a king still doesn't get it. I wouldn't be surprised if Maxima receives nothing (same as Letizia) but of course hopefully not.

The British, the only thing I can assume is that Camilla will receive an order from the Dutch (Order of Orange-Nassau? same as Charles). For the rest I think probably only these who involves in the state visit will receive an order, like what happens in last year Spain visits. (OT but I kinda like that approach, nothing will be given unless you are the monarch/consort/heir or you contribute to the visit)

carlota 07-05-2018 10:24 AM

how absolutely exciting! i am very much looking forward.

may i ask if there is any protocol regarding which heads of state get invited first on state visit? i noticed that HM invited felipe and letizia before WA and maxima even though WA and maxima have been in the throne for longer.

Rudolph 07-05-2018 10:32 AM

It’s actually the government that decides on state visits. The invitation is sent on behalf of The Queen, but she doesn’t have any say in who is invited.

TLLK 07-05-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bine221 (Post 2129543)
BYe Bine

I am hoping for a very regal tiara choice for Maxima. As much as I love the Diamond Bandeau on Maxima, I want to see something with a little more grandeur for the banquet.

muriel 07-05-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2129038)

I think the British government had taken the view that the Belgians have neither the political or the economic might to warrant a state visit.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-05-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2129511)
Yes, I have actually read most noted bios on the Queen and many other sources because I am not someone who makes statements without having done my research. And I stand by my opinion. Thanks.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but it does not coincide with facts.

Anyway, I won't go into why HM is a modern monarch in this thread.

--------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2129541)
If its in October, my guess would be that it'll be held at Buckingham Palace. More regal and the "main house" of the British monarchy to welcome the King and Queen of the Netherlands.

And here I'm being disappointed by the fact that it isn't going to take place at Windsor Castle, who is much grander & regal than BP.
I would also have preferred a summer visit, so the Queen and King WA could have used the 1902 State Landau (as HM and King Felipe did last year), but I assume that it didn't work out with their program and stuff.