The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge: July 9, 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/christening-of-prince-louis-of-cambridge-july-9-2018-a-45060.html)

Marika86 07-09-2018 11:20 AM

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal Members of the Royal Family arrive at St James's Palace for the christening of Prince Louis. https://twitter.com/i/status/1016340563623333888

Lemon Lyman 07-09-2018 11:21 AM

It's quite common for fruit cake to last a long long time. They re-marzipan and ice though.

ACO 07-09-2018 11:21 AM

Royals arriving

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...40563623333888

Katymcwaity 07-09-2018 11:33 AM

Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge: July 9, 2018
 
Fruitcake can last ages with loads of booze in it though most people seem to dislike it these days so probably won’t rush to eat it.

wartenberg7 07-09-2018 11:35 AM

I love the Duchesse´ s head piece! So much prettier than these small hats whose brims are located much in front of the forehead, almost down to the nose.

miss whirley 07-09-2018 11:45 AM

I like that Carole, Pippa, Lucy and Charlotte all wore light blue. Family unity between the ladies.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2130779)
People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.

Well, people said they were shocked by it, and I wrote that ''perhaps we should just calm down a bit.'' I didn't say that people were being hysterical. :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2130779)
And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.

I wrote ''reliable sources,'' not what BP says officially.

--------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2130788)
Of course William and Catherine understand The Queen and Prince Philip not being able to attend, but the media and folks online still aren’t used to the fact that The Queen and Prince Philip are old. Prince Philip is retired and Her Majesty is being careful with her activities.

Don’t know if anyone paid attention to The Queen after the Royal Garden Party in Scotland. The woman looked drained by the end of it. Look at the video.

Well, the Queen & Philip has been old for a VERY LONG time, and the serious newspapers and the royal commentators/reporters aren't speculating about her not being at the christening at all.

--------------------

And to all the others, did you even read my previous post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2130776)
Well, perhaps we should just calm down a bit.

1. According to all reliable sources during the past few years, the Queen is in ''remarkable'' god health for her age (yes that's the word they have been using), and if you take a look at her when she is out and about, you'll se it.

2. She has been spending her weekend with Philip in Norfolk, following her busy schedule in Scotland last week, and is on her way back to London today for yet a busy schedule this week.

Tweets from Rebecca English:

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will not be attending today's christening. There's no health issue for the Queen. She was working flat out in Scotland last week and has got a busy few days in London with the RAF Centenary event tomorrow and #Trump on Friday.

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
The Queen & Philip have just spent the weekend together in Norfolk. He is remaining there while she travels back to London today. Her decision not to attend was mutually agreed with William & Kate, while Philip clearly doesn't want to attend public events unless he really has to.

Tweets from Richard Palmer:

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are not attending Prince Louis’s christening this afternoon. I understand that was mutually agreed some time ago and the Cambridges are “relaxed” about it.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter
Why isn’t the Queen going to Prince Louis’s christening? I’ve spoken to a couple of sources and the explanation seems to be it’s another busy week for the monarch at 92. She has the RAF centenary tomorrow, a meeting with President Trump on Friday and audiences in between.

--------------------

And to the christening:

Prince Louis’s big day as royals gather for christening - updates from ITV

ITN video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMLkAuQt7w

tihkon2 07-09-2018 12:14 PM

As others have mentioned, the Queen and the Duke are old. Not just old. They're both very very old. They need more time to recover from things and to rest up. People online act like they're in their 70's or something. To be walking unaided is an amazing thing for people in their age bracket, let alone doing more than 1 engagement a week.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 12:19 PM

:previous: Exactly!

BTW, I have updated the above post with an ITN video of the arrivals.

Erin9 07-09-2018 12:21 PM

Based on Camilla fanning herself when leaving, I bet it was quite warm. That may have been a factor too for HM and Prince Philip.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 12:36 PM

:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. :smile:

Queen Claude 07-09-2018 12:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btsnaJ3RkrA

jacqui24 07-09-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2130899)
:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. :smile:

I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?

miss whirley 07-09-2018 12:47 PM

It wasn't just HM and DoE who didn't show. I didn't see some of the spouses of the godparents - Mr. Meade, Mrs. van Cutsem and Mrs. Aubrey-Fletcher.

Zaira 07-09-2018 12:58 PM

Well, it is a Monday and thus a work day. If folks have regular jobs, doesn’t make much sense to take time off for a christening if you are not the actual godparent yourself

ladongas 07-09-2018 01:05 PM

Aha!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2130809)
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...46523938648064


So according to the announcement, guests will be served slices of christening cake which is from one of the tiers of the Cambridge wedding cake. Thank goodness there was still enough left from George and Charlotte's christenings!

So this is why the Queen isn’t attending- she just couldn’t face another slice of that fruitcake.

soapstar 07-09-2018 01:12 PM

I'm not at all shocked that the Queen didn't attend. As others have said, she has a busy week ahead of her. Plus she has missed a christening before, so this isn't anything new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss whirley (Post 2130856)
I like that Carole, Pippa, Lucy and Charlotte all wore light blue. Family unity between the ladies.

I like that too. Hannah Carter also wore light blue.

Some photos of the Cambridges. Louis is adorable:
https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...52537128128512

Coverage of the christening from the DM. I'm looking forward to the official portraits.
Prince Louis christening is attended by William, Kate, George and Charlotte | Daily Mail Online

Dman 07-09-2018 01:12 PM

I like that some music from the Cambridge and the Prince and Princess of Wales’s royal weddings were performed for the christening. William and Harry always make sure to incorporate special family memories into their lives.

bluestocking 07-09-2018 01:22 PM

The baby looks like his older brother.

Queen Claude 07-09-2018 01:29 PM

I think this is another illustration of the Queen letting Charles take over her duties. At Charlotte's christening, Charles was so low key that some asked if he was even in attendance.

HereditaryPrincess 07-09-2018 01:32 PM

Lovely photos from Louis's christening today, I look forward into the official ones. I can't quite tell who Louis looks like, though when he was born I thought he looked like Charlotte as a baby. Charlotte was very sweet in the video when she shook hands. She doesn't seem afraid of the limelight at all :smile:
Whilst it is disappointing that HM and Philip weren't there, I would understand their reasonings for not being there. They're both in their 90's so will struggle with the heat more so I also agree with those who think that the weather might have been a factor of their absence. (I mean, I'm a lot younger than they are and even I struggled in the heat whilst out and about yesterday.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin9 (Post 2130884)
Based on Camilla fanning herself when leaving, I bet it was quite warm. That may have been a factor too for HM and Prince Philip.

We've had a heatwave here in the UK for over a month resulting in forest fires in northern England which is extremely rare. So it's been incredibly hot lately and today it was almost 30 degrees in London.

loonytick 07-09-2018 01:59 PM

It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.

Chloep 07-09-2018 01:59 PM

Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!

loonytick 07-09-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloep (Post 2130974)
Something that stood out to me is that sweet George and Charlotte really are at ages where they look quite drastically different each time they are seen. :) Comparing today's pictures to that of the DoS wedding, you'd have thought there must have been at least a year in-between. Cuties!

Charlotte, especially!

They both did a very good job today. Charlotte is getting the most attention for shaking hands because she was more visible from the point of view of the cameras, but on the videos it looked to me that the clergy both got handshakes from him with no problem, too. You could see in each case that the shook her hand first then turned to George, and I think I could hear William telling George "good job" after the second. We've seen him be shy about handshakes in the past, but now that his more gregarious younger sister is old enough for those greetings, perhaps it's wise for a little while to have her go first so he can warm up to the idea as he watches her. Won't it be interesting to see how little Louis's personality shines through in these moments once he's old enough?

Jackswife 07-09-2018 02:32 PM

Charlotte is such a doll! Reminds me of my own little granddaughter with her personality.

Osipi 07-09-2018 02:55 PM

I'm at a loss to decide just who Charlotte looks like. In some pictures, I'd swear she's Kate's mini me and then in others I see William's face in a little girl's face. Both Charlotte and George are just absolutely too cute for words and I love seeing "Daddy" holding their hands and ushering them into the chapel for the christening. The Cambridges are a totally delightful family.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2130906)
I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?

Yes, but she always stays at Windsor until Tuesday. :smile:

--------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2130857)

Another ITN video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGB4gguj90s

Osipi 07-09-2018 03:01 PM

Personally, if I was HM, I'd head to the place where its apt to be the coolest. ;)

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 03:13 PM

:previous: I for one, thinks she would've gone to Windsor, even if it had been 100 degrees there. :lol:

An Ard Ri 07-09-2018 03:14 PM

Princess Charlotte as always the star of the show!

sndral 07-09-2018 04:10 PM

Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.

JR76 07-09-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sndral (Post 2131036)
Interesting - Charlotte's handshake is much publicized, undoubtedly because it feeds the narrative already created by the press that she is the 'friendly,' 'outgoing,' 'confident' one; whereas George's handshake is ignored, probably because he is already being cast by the press as the 'reserved,' 'shy,' and/or 'petulant' child.
Who knows how accurate these assumptions are about the children's personalities since they are based on small snippets of time in very public places.

Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...

Lady Nimue 07-09-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaira (Post 2130779)
People are hardly being hysterical, just discussing behavior seemingly out of the normal for the Queen.

And just because BP says there is no health doesn’t mean anything, for the record. The Queen is spry for 92 but 92 is still 92.

Exactly on both counts. The heat in the chapel (which I assume they would have known would be the case in the current temperatures) would be enough to keep two elderly great-grandparents home in the A/C. :cool:

Dman 07-09-2018 04:48 PM

Moving Image-
George and Charlotte shaking hands-
World of Windsor : britishheirs: Prince*George and Princess Charlotte...

Video:
Princess Charlotte talking to the photographers-
World of Windsor : britishheirs: Prince*George and Princess Charlotte...

Lady Nimue 07-09-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 2130932)
So this is why the Queen isn’t attending- she just couldn’t face another slice of that fruitcake.

Too funny! :flowers: You've nailed it! Cat out of the bag! Ha!

Moonmaiden23 07-09-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wartenberg7 (Post 2130852)
I love the Duchesse´ s head piece! So much prettier than these small hats whose brims are located much in front of the forehead, almost down to the nose.

I LOVE the DoC's headpiece...so elegant and feminine! So much better than a fascinator, which I simply loathe.

Ish 07-09-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2131041)
Accurate or not it's already clear that the media have decided for Charlotte to be the rebel and George to be more shy and pensive. Sounds familiar? In about 20 years time we'll have articles about a partying Charlotte shaking up the palace and everytime she glances at a man there'll be paparazzi there to take pictures alternating with a tale of the reluctant, insecure heir to the throne...


It’s easy to see it that way now, but if my memory of accounts is correct, when they were younger it was William who was more outgoing / comfortable with the public attention, and Harry who was shyer - Harry, I believe, always had a bit of a cheeky streak to him, but he was more in his brother’s shadow. This changed when they got older as the press attention changed during the War of the Wales’, and in the aftermath of Diana’s death. William’s “shyness” is more him being more reserved with the public than his brother.

Charlotte is a bit of a character, and it kind of reminds me of old videos of William - although, that is biased, as we don’t have videos of what Kate was like at that age.

Lady Nimue 07-09-2018 05:54 PM

:previous: The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil. :flowers:

irish_royalist 07-09-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loonytick (Post 2130973)
It did look quite hot. Part of staying as active and healthy as the queen in one's 90s is knowing when to take a pass and not subject yourself to conditions that could leave you needing an overlong period of rest and recovery. My husband's grandmother is in fantastic shape for a 102 year old woman, but by this age I'm pretty sure she would have stayed home from a summertime christening in an non-airconditioned space and instead made a point of inviting family over to her well-cooled home for a special time soon afterwards.

I think the point about letting Prince Charles be the most senior family member present is an important one, too. He's waiting a long time to be monarch, still taking a back seat to her at these ceremonies whenever she's present. In a small way, it's something of a gift from her to let him enjoy the prominence at an event of special meaning and importance that would usually be hers: being the one who gets to sit in the seat of honor that would otherwise be reserved for her, to be the one to whom the Archbishop, etc.


I totally agree! We will be reassured about the health of HM when we see her (and possible also the DoE), later in the week. They are simply pacing themselves, and as we've been informed, it has been discussed with the Cambridges in advance, and they are content with the arrangement.

And although I love to see HM and the DoE out and about, it was nice to see the Cambridges and their 'immediate' family and friends take centre-stage today.

QUEENECE29 07-09-2018 06:01 PM

Congratulations Cambridge Family

Lady Nimue 07-09-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish_royalist (Post 2131081)
And although I love to see HM and the DoE out and about, it was nice to see the Cambridges and their 'immediate' family and friends take centre-stage today.

True. :flowers: I especially liked seeing Charles and Camilla out front, and particularly like the moment when Camilla hung back allowing Charles to be out front (not that she had planned that bit only that it occurred serendipitously).

US Royal Watcher 07-09-2018 06:10 PM

It's unfortunate the Queen and Prince Philip weren't able to attend but it was a very happy occasion. I think we can safely assume that Charlotte is an extravert. It was kind of touching to watch George starting to realize that Mom wouldn't be able to hold his hand all the time now. He handled it well, but I thought it was obvious that it was new to him. He's going to have to get used to being the big kid in the family-it's part of life.

Spheno 07-09-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2131005)
Yes, but she always stays at Windsor until Tuesday. :smile:

This weekend she was in Norfolk, not at Windsor.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-09-2018 06:42 PM

:previous: I know that of course! :smile:

And if you had gone back in the thread and read these posts, you would have known that I know:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2130899)
:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. :smile:

Jacqui24, then replied with this post:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2130906)
I thought the reporting is that she's coming back from Sandringham today?

And I responded with what you quoted above. :smile:

AdmirerUS 07-09-2018 07:04 PM

The biggest surprise for me was that Daddy looked less-than-thrilled in the majority of the photos.

Part of it, I am sure was photo selection. But Catherine looked transcendently radiant while Will looked like he was trapped holding onto two forces of nature, just waiting for it all to go sideways. Harry was also a bit gloomy.

Handsome group overall.

O-H Anglophile 07-09-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher (Post 2131094)
It's unfortunate the Queen and Prince Philip weren't able to attend but it was a very happy occasion. I think we can safely assume that Charlotte is an extravert. It was kind of touching to watch George starting to realize that Mom wouldn't be able to hold his hand all the time now. He handled it well, but I thought it was obvious that it was new to him. He's going to have to get used to being the big kid in the family-it's part of life.

Since William has usually been the one holding George's hand out in public since Charlotte has come along, I'm sure he has adapted.:flowers:

Somebody 07-09-2018 07:24 PM

I wonder why the court only announced what wasn't the reason for not attending instead of the reason (probably along the lines of "due to the duke's (old) age and the queen's busy schedule it was decided...")

Catherine looked radiant on all but one picture. William was making sure all went well with the older kids in front of the cameras.

I still don't like this private chtistening thing as to me this is something that should be celebrated among the church community (parish) that a family belongs but apparently that's not the BRF's reasoning.

Dman 07-09-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 2131110)
The biggest surprise for me was that Daddy looked less-than-thrilled in the majority of the photos.

Part of it, I am sure was photo selection. But Catherine looked transcendently radiant while Will looked like he was trapped holding onto two forces of nature, just waiting for it all to go sideways. Harry was also a bit gloomy.

Handsome group overall.

I too noticed the gloomy looks on both William and Harry. Catherine and Meghan simply glowed. Everyone looked very nice. I’m nuts about George and Charlotte. They make me laugh. Can’t wait to see Louis’s christening pics.

Countessmeout 07-09-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2130735)

Don't know why I am surprised the DM cant get simple facts straight, but Nicholas is NOT the father of Grace Van Cutsem. He is Grace's Uncle. Grace is Hugh's daughter. Nicholas has one child, who we did see in a royal wedding, but the recent one. Little Florence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2130816)
Has nothing to do with importance or that Peter is less than William.

As I said...Peter and his family are private citizens. William and his family are not. Yes it is surprising that the Queen is not there for the Christening for a child of a future King.


LaRae

This is a private event. Not a royal event. It is not the ceremony of the third son of a future king. It is the private baptism of a great grandchild of the queen. She doesn't attend or not attend based on how close they are to the throne. Isla may be less important to the UK. But she is not less important to Grandma Elizabeth.

MaiaMia_53 07-09-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2131133)
I don't think Meghan/Harry will be in the pics...I thought only the godparents were in the pics?

Maybe there are pictures taken with the godparents, but the official pictures that are released apparently only include the baby with parents and siblings, both sets of grandparents, the Queen and Prince Philip and other immediate family members, such as Prince Harry and Pippa, for example in Prince George's christening photo:
https://www.eonline.com/de/news/4738...fficial-photos

Prince Harry did not appear in Princess Charlotte's christening photo because he was on an overseas trip:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-in-pictures/

So now for Prince Louis, with both Pippa and Harry married, their spouses are bound to be in the official photo I would imagine, but the Queen and Prince Philip won't be. Perhaps another official portrait will be taken at a later date with the Cambridges and QE II & Pip. There's probably separate photos taken of the Cambridges with all of the godparents.

Here's video

Below with commentary by Royal Reviewer re details of the christening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RezdffFONX4

gerry 07-09-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2131121)
I too noticed the gloomy looks on both William and Harry. Catherine and Meghan simply glowed. Everyone looked very nice. I’m nuts about George and Charlotte. They make me laugh. Can’t wait to see Louis’s christening pics.

Considering that the British government is at the point of falling and a Cabinet crisis is grabbing the headlines, it is not surprising that the Prince's look suitably sombre:bang:

Dman 07-09-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2131145)
Considering that the British government is at the point of falling and a Cabinet crisis is grabbing the headlines, it is not surprising that the Prince's look suitably sombre:bang:

That could be it. Just noticed there weren’t a lot of teeth on display from the Princes.

Mbruno 07-09-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 2131145)
Considering that the British government is at the point of falling and a Cabinet crisis is grabbing the headlines, it is not surprising that the Prince's look suitably sombre:bang:

The British government is niot at the point of falling ( at least not yet) and, in any case, I doubt William or Harry care about that. The royals are non-partisan and will work with whatever government that is in office. Government formation is none of their business.

Pranter 07-09-2018 09:30 PM

There's video of Harry and Meghan laughing ....William had some big smiles too.


LaRae

Somebody 07-09-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2131136)
This is a private event. Not a royal event. It is not the ceremony of the third son of a future king. It is the private baptism of a great grandchild of the queen. She doesn't attend or not attend based on how close they are to the throne. Isla may be less important to the UK. But she is not less important to Grandma Elizabeth.

It's indeed treated as a private event but currently the monarch has to be a member of the Church of England so this baptism potentially (not likely but the government seems to consider the first 6 in line relevant) has constitutional relevance as well.

CyrilVladisla 07-09-2018 10:06 PM

It was interesting to learn that Prince Louis' christening cake is a tier of cake taken from his parents' wedding cake.

Frelinghighness 07-09-2018 10:19 PM

Lovely event and little prince Louis is gorgeous as is his whole family. I was surprised at Carole and pippa dresses, both emphasizing a gathered bust which did nothing for either of them. Usually they are so well turned out

Moonmaiden23 07-09-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2131116)
Catherine looked radiant on all but one picture. William was making sure all went well with the older kids in front of the cameras.

I still don't like this private chtistening thing as to me this is something that should be celebrated among the church community (parish) that a family belongs but apparently that's not the BRF's reasoning.

I am torn on this one. I completely understand why the Royal families of Belgium and Britain prefer to keep their baptismal ceremonies as private religious family affairs. But in my heart I love to see Royal christenings as traditional public spectacles...with the grandeur of the ancient chapels and cathedrals on full display like in Sweden.

My all time favorite Royal/Princely baptism was in Monaco with Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella. The Heir was proclaimed and he and his sister received into the Church in a gorgeous joyous spectacle that seemed as grand as it was intimate with tears of joy and literal dancing in the street by the Monagasques.

It was perfect.:smile:

Dman 07-09-2018 11:00 PM

How to be a good Godparent:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ual-sage-good/

M. Payton 07-09-2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 2131110)
The biggest surprise for me was that Daddy looked less-than-thrilled in the majority of the photos.

Part of it, I am sure was photo selection. But Catherine looked transcendently radiant while Will looked like he was trapped holding onto two forces of nature, just waiting for it all to go sideways. Harry was also a bit gloomy.

Handsome group overall.

I also thought the same thing, poor William stuck holding onto 2 little ones who were looking for an escape it seemed, had me chuckling at even though he is who he is, this is not something he has very much control of if George and Charlotte decide otherwise.......He seemed entirely focused on both of them while Catherine just had such a glow about her while holding Louis. Just a very beautiful family together and you can tell who rules that nest there.....:lol:

Countessmeout 07-09-2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2131153)
It's indeed treated as a private event but currently the monarch has to be a member of the Church of England so this baptism potentially (not likely but the government seems to consider the first 6 in line relevant) has constitutional relevance as well.

Yes, anyone in line of succession has to be a member of the Church of England. So baptism is Important for all the queen's great-grandchildren. Louis has as little chance of needing to take the throne as Mia, Savannah, Isla and Lena do.

Clearly as she attended the baptisms of Mia and Savannah, the queen doesn't base such choices on succession to the throne.

ashelen 07-09-2018 11:58 PM

I understand it is a private event, and It looks very small, just the close relatives? or the press didn't show the rest? Also wonder how did the celebrated? a lunch , dinner? something simple or elaborate, where? etcc…...

royal rob 07-10-2018 12:07 AM

Kate looked beautiful so happy. What a lovely family
I don’t think Harry is looking gloomy just a couple of photos not smiling

PetticoatLane 07-10-2018 02:34 AM

Of course the great-grandchildren who are much closer to the throne are more "important" to the Queen than the others - for the simple reason that she is not just Gan-Gan, she is the monarch and head of state. She's also a monarch who, along with her father, was not considered likely to accede to the throne, so she knows lines of accession don't always happen according to plan.

The christening of Charlotte and Louis are fundamentally different types of event than for Mia Tindall, for example. The Queen has seen fit to ensure that they are HRH from birth. It is an official occasion, with KP announcing attendees, the Archbishop of Canterbury officiating and official video and pictures released.

All of the above makes it more strange that the Queen was not there. This was a very short event, in an official royal palace so no public to be dealt with and HM could've jumped in her helicopter and back to Windsor in minutes. It's very odd to me.

wbenson 07-10-2018 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 2131173)
I understand it is a private event, and It looks very small, just the close relatives? or the press didn't show the rest?

The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.

Stefan 07-10-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2131191)
The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.

I wonder how they did it for Royal Weddings in the past as it was even the place for the Wedding of a reigning Monarch once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2131160)

I am torn on this one. I completely understand why the Royal families of Belgium and Britain prefer to keep their baptismal ceremonies as private religious family affairs. But in my heart I love to see Royal christenings as traditional public spectacles...with the grandeur of the ancient chapels and cathedrals on full display like in Sweden.

.:smile:


But in Belgim we got some pics and Videos from inside the Chapel (for the children of Philippe and Mathilde) nand it was not so small and private like in Britain.

Curryong 07-10-2018 03:48 AM

The Chapel seats about forty people, I believe. Centuries ago people probably crowded in and stood rather than sat.

Molly2101 07-10-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2131192)
I wonder how they did it for Royal Weddings in the past as it was even the place for the Wedding of a reigning Monarch once.

I guess one less thing those royal weddings had to worry about was trying to fit in many TV cameras in the small enclosed chapel like they did for present weddings.

Spheno 07-10-2018 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2131192)
I wonder how they did it for Royal Weddings in the past as it was even the place for the Wedding of a reigning Monarch once.




https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Marriage01.jpg
*This work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 100 years or less.

Stefan 07-10-2018 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2131197)
I guess one less thing those royal weddings had to worry about was trying to fit in many TV cameras in the small enclosed chapel like they did for present weddings.


But for yestedays christening and the one of George there where also no TV Cameras or photgraphers inside.

Spheno 07-10-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2131106)
:previous: I know that of course! :smile:

And if you had gone back in the thread and read these posts, you would have known that I know:
Quote:

:previous: Well IMO, it has more to do with the fact that she (at the great age of 92) has been taking it easy in Norfolk with her 97 (almost 100)- year-old husband, before heading back to Windsor today. - There she will stay until tomorrow, when she vill be back in London for another busy week, not bad. :smile:

We don't know this. It's your speculations.
Logistically there is no point to travel from Norfolk to Windsor and next day (in early morning!) travel from Windsor in London.

wartenberg7 07-10-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2131149)
The British government is niot at the point of falling ( at least not yet) and, in any case, I doubt William or Harry care about that. The royals are non-partisan and will work with whatever government that is in office. Government formation is none of their business.

Even a private citizen with just little political interest is interested, if not worried, about the proceedings when his/ her government threatens to fall. I think it makes quite difference if you cooperate and have to deal with the Tories or Labour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapstar (Post 2130937)
I'm not at all shocked that the Queen didn't attend. As others have said, she has a busy week ahead of her. Plus she has missed a christening before, so this isn't anything new.


Well, new or not, (and I´ m not "shocked" at all) this is at least a bit strange (on the contrary, I think it´ s even more strange she did so the 2nd time...). On the other hand just another example that this RF handles things quite different than "normal", ordinary families or most other royal families.

Duc_et_Pair 07-10-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2131195)
The Chapel seats about forty people, I believe. Centuries ago people probably crowded in and stood rather than sat.

That size (picture) sounds similar to the private chapel of the Dutch royal family at Het Loo Palace (the picture is taken halfway the chapel) picture

An Ard Ri 07-10-2018 07:57 AM

The chapel at St James is not my favourite one used by the British RF but it is nice and private.

Curryong 07-10-2018 08:08 AM

I think almost all the private chapels in royal palaces were probably quite small and cosy affairs, just built for the RF and their senior attendants.

loonytick 07-10-2018 09:49 AM

Queen Victoria's diary entry about her wedding actually gives a lot of logistical information about how they would arrange everything for ceremonies in that chapel. It seems that primarily close family were in the chapel with Victoria and Albert, but they also had seating set up for guests in several other rooms in the palace and she processed through those rooms on the way into the service. At first glance, it seems strange to have guests in other rooms, but when you think about it, without television monitors and microphones, most of the people at, say, Harry and Meghan's wedding in St. George's wouldn't have been able to see or hear much beyond the procession, so there wasn't really any expectation that the bulk of a wedding guests be able to truly witness the vow exchange.

https://www.queen-victorias-scrapbook...tents/3-5.html

ashelen 07-10-2018 10:44 AM

I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
Did the have a tea or meal gathering after?

Lumutqueen 07-10-2018 10:48 AM

I’ve heard that’s quite a thing. Frankly I would just have a new one made in the same flavour. Much tastier. Didn’t they have a fruit cake layer for their wedding cake? That lasts ages apparently.

Dman 07-10-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2131191)
The chapel is pretty small. With a choir in there, it was probably close to full.

The seating make it even more small. It was just single odd chair during Victoria’s time. Mostly people stood for the short christenings.

HereditaryPrincess 07-10-2018 02:23 PM

I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :biggrin::

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Just got to love children and their freedom to say whatever they want! :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 2131079)
:previous: The George/Charlotte scenario reminds me of the Charles/Anne scenario from so long ago. I've tried to find the old film of Charles and Anne playing with the monkeys on Gilbralter but can't locate it on YouTube. As presented and so clearly in evidence, Charles was the shy, hesitant one, Anne the daredevil. :flowers:

Also HM and Princess Margaret come to mind. IIRC from when they were young Margaret was always seen as the more lively and outgoing sister, continuing of course into adulthood.
I remember reading something about William getting into an argument or disagreement with another child at his nursery and Diana having to apologise to the child's parents, but I can't remember where I read that. I think, as someone else said, William was more outgoing when he was younger but now Harry is portrayed as the livelier one since teenage/adulthood.

Rudolph 07-10-2018 03:06 PM

Mitre christening videos


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMLkAuQt7w&t=21s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGB4gguj90s*

Dman 07-10-2018 06:51 PM

I know the British royals don’t show royal christening to the public, but I would love to see an old fashioned palace christening. Like in the Buckingham Palace Music Room. Louis’s grandfather, The Prince of Wales, was christened there.

CyrilVladisla 07-10-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 2131360)
I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
Did the have a tea or meal gathering after?

After the christening a private tea service was held.

Somebody 07-10-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2131506)
I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :biggrin::

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Just got to love children and their freedom to say whatever they want! :rofl:

Indeed :biggrin:

Just for the perspective on outgoingness: George was waving today as well behind the window (not an enormous full arm wave as done by Charlotte but a proper forearm wave)

Lady Nimue 07-10-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2131506)
I'm not sure if this has been reported on, but apparently Charlotte told the photographers "you're not coming" as she was arriving to Louis's christening yesterday :biggrin::

Video: 'You're not coming' Princess Charlotte to photographers at christening | Daily Mail Online

Just got to love children and their freedom to say whatever they want! :rofl:

Charlotte must have asked about all the people in the courtyard and was given that answer. :flowers: She's at a young age where the distinctions are not clearly defined in her mind. She would want to know where all those people would be going. Cute. (She also speaks up! No shyness in evidence whatsoever!)

TLLK 07-11-2018 10:09 AM

:previous:I agree Lady Nimue. As any parent has likely experienced, your pre-schooler is inquisitive and is likely to share whatever is on their mind. Charlotte like any child that age is still learning to communicate and will continue to learn about appropriate and inappropriate statements and observations for years to come. :smile:

_Heather_ 07-11-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2131857)
:previous:I agree Lady Nimue. As any parent has likely experienced, your pre-schooler is inquisitive and is likely to share whatever is on their mind. Charlotte like any child that age is still learning to communicate and will continue to learn about appropriate and inappropriate statements and observations for years to come. :smile:

Agreed completely. And can I just say, I absolutely loved it! Charlotte seems be a very confident and outgoing child which is wonderful and she seems to already be picking up on that tried and true royal stance on publicity...she plays nice, waves sweetly for the camera, gives a nice smile, and then tells them to buzz off. :rofl:

HereditaryPrincess 07-11-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Heather_ (Post 2131861)
Agreed completely. And can I just say, I absolutely loved it! Charlotte seems be a very confident and outgoing child which is wonderful and she seems to already be picking up on that tried and true royal stance on publicity...she plays nice, waves sweetly for the camera, gives a nice smile, and then tells them to buzz off. :rofl:

Hah, seems that she has inherited that characteristic from her great-grandfather who is reported to have said "you have mosquitoes, I have the press" :biggrin:

M. Payton 07-11-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Heather_ (Post 2131861)
Agreed completely. And can I just say, I absolutely loved it! Charlotte seems be a very confident and outgoing child which is wonderful and she seems to already be picking up on that tried and true royal stance on publicity...she plays nice, waves sweetly for the camera, gives a nice smile, and then tells them to buzz off. :rofl:

Now that Charlotte has that down pat in how the media operates, let her get on with making lists of royal duties to be done.......:lol::lol: What a strong intelligent little girl she is becoming......William and Catherine have their hands full with her, she rules that roost for sure....:lol:

Pranter 07-11-2018 10:20 PM

You know that William and Kate must of had a chuckle about what she said later on...I would of!


LaRae

Lady Nimue 07-11-2018 11:14 PM

It also struck me that at that young age, whenever Charlotte finds herself in a large group (extended family) they do indeed show up at the party. :flowers: So for all she knew, that group in the courtyard could have been extended family. Ha! ;)

Being a gregarious sort, she may have even been looking forward to meeting them all. After all, she gave them the most appealing lingering look all the way to the doorway. She looked oh-so-curious! She most definitely has an affinity for the great unknown the press represents (though she hardly understands who they are at this point). But on some level (I think) she recognizes them as 'her people'. I'm teasing, but one never knows! Give it 10 years!

Curryong 07-11-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 2131360)
I read that a tier of their wedding cake was served, how is preserve a 7 yar old cake? I would be scare to eat!
Did the have a tea or meal gathering after?

Traditional English fruitcake lasts a very very long time. I read a few years ago that a tin of fruitcake had been discovered in one of the huts from the Shackleton expedition early in the twentieth century. It looked rather dry but not mouldy at all. Sometimes pieces of Queen Elizabeth IIs wedding cake come up for auction. Same thing, look a bit dry but are eatable.

When people preserve the cake with its dried fruits for a future christening it's placed in an airtight box and every now and again taken out and given 'a watering' with some brandy or sherry.

Many renew the icing and marzipan before the christening. These cakes really are delicious, but unfortunately they're going out of favour with modern brides.

wartenberg7 07-12-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2131671)
I know the British royals don’t show royal christening to the public, but I would love to see an old fashioned palace christening. Like in the Buckingham Palace Music Room. Louis’s grandfather, The Prince of Wales, was christened there.


Well, this was actually an old fashioned Palace christening, just in another Palace (St James´s instead of BP).
Those Music room christenings only took place there for a couple of times (I think William´s was the last one) because the chapel of Buck. Palace was destroyed during WW2. I think it is quite proper to have a christening being held in a real sacred place like a church or a chapel, which the music room is not.

What I would call "old fashioned" and really grand are the christenings of the children) of Victoria and Albert, the parents arrayed in their Garter robes, The Queen wearing a diadem, and the ceromony taking place in W. Abbey or at Windsor!

Curryong 07-12-2018 07:39 AM

I don't think any of Victoria and Abert's children were christened in Westminster Abbey. Nor are royals christened there today.

Dman 07-12-2018 08:12 AM

So I guess the official portraits should be released on Saturday?

wartenberg7 07-12-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2132146)
I don't think any of Victoria and Abert's children were christened in Westminster Abbey. Nor are royals christened there today.


We all know no royal children are christened in WA these days - if they ever did. Still, the christenings, especially of the eldest children of the monarch, were well and true state occasions at St. George´ s chapel like this detailed report from the christening of the later Edward VII tells us:


The Christening Of Albert Edward, Prince Of Wales | History And Other Thoughts


https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/s...?itok=Xh--i8In

Zonk 07-12-2018 05:37 PM

Let's stay on topic...which is the Christening of Prince Louis of Cambridge.

As such, several posts which can be construed as personal attacks as well as references to the Nazi's have been deleted.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Any questions should be directed to a member of the TRF moderation team.

Thank you.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Rudolph 07-15-2018 02:13 PM

Christening pics will be released tonight (for tomorrow’s papers)

eya 07-15-2018 05:34 PM

The Official Pictures is here!!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiLTl66X4AIcsHc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiLTl5RW0AguHLR.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiLTl8tW4AEtsdj.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiLTl7oWAAEcB7A.jpg


Articles

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ng-photos.html
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ng-photos.html

ACO 07-15-2018 05:44 PM

Everyone looks nice. Sweet pictures.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises