The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/duke-and-duchess-of-sussex-general-news-part-1-may-2018-december-2018-a-44861.html)

jacqui24 05-22-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114052)
“In accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isn’t a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and it’s the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. It’s what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told there’s no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. “

Max Foster CNN: Royal Reality for Meghan Markle

This is quite funny to me because Meghan, having attended many engagements during her engagement, seems to always do her homework. This seems to only be news to those reporting it. Knowing the couple, I think they are fully aware they won’t ever be king and queen and I think that’s just the way they’d prefer.

And I know people were upset with Harry when he said no one wants to be King and Queen, but was he wrong? Is the weight of the crown really worth the tiaras? Or is it more of duty they were born into? I think if anyone asked any of the spares in the last four generations if they wanted to be king or queen, the answer would’ve been no. But it was a duty that one of them couldn’t avoid.

wyevale 05-22-2018 09:09 AM

That article by Max Foster is the very pinnacle of vacuity.. it says NOTHING of interest, let alone give any insight into the new life opening up to the Duchess, as part of the BRF.

Of course there will be critics [as there are for ANYONE joining a family at the epicentre of our national life], but the VAST majority of people [of all classes and ages] will joyously welcome her, since she is the chosen spouse of a MUCH LOVED Prince.

EVERYONE wants Harry to be happy, and clearly his wife makes him so..

I cannot understand why anybody worries quite so much.. [other than for 'column inches']

Osipi 05-22-2018 09:10 AM

That's about the gist of it with all mainstream news channels in the US these days, Marengo. The fine art of impartial journalism has taken a back seat to "personalities" and ratings and just a whole lot of "fake" news or blowing things out of proportion.

I want the real stuff back. Who, what, when, how and why.

O-H Anglophile 05-22-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2114059)
That article by Max Foster is the very pinnacle of vacuity.. it says NOTHING of interest, let alone give any insight into the new life opening up to the Duchess, as part of the BRF.

Of course there will be critics [as there are for ANYONE joining a family at the epicentre of our national life], but the VAST majority of people [of all classes and ages] will joyously welcome her, since she is the chosen spouse of a MUCH LOVED Prince.

EVERYONE wants Harry to be happy, and clearly his wife makes him so..

I cannot understand why Americans worry quite so much.. [other than for 'column inches']

Since Max Foster is not an American I don't understand your last sentence. You can keep him!;)

wyevale 05-22-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Max Foster is not an American
Oops, my mistake.. i'll edit accordingly. Foster may not be but CNN is, and has no 'reach'in the UK..

ACO 05-22-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114052)
“In accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isn’t a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and it’s the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. It’s what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told there’s no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. “

Max Foster CNN: Royal Reality for Meghan Markle

Okay? Max not saying anything new here. Harry and Meghan know their role. Harry has zero interest in being King. They will use their influence in other ways which suits them much, much better in the long run. It is the best thing, honestly.

Rudolph 05-22-2018 09:20 AM

Think he wrote this piece in response to one of the American networks referring to Harry and Meghan as the next king and Queen.

This article provides context on the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

O-H Anglophile 05-22-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114068)
Think he wrote this piece in response to one of the American networks referring to Harry and Meghan as the next king and Queen.

This article provides context on the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

Well, American "news" people are not known for their veracity when it comes to things Royal. And they probably meant king and queen colloquially rather than King and Queen in actuality.

Cocoasneeze 05-22-2018 09:37 AM

I think Meghan is fully aware of the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

W.Y.CII 05-22-2018 09:52 AM

:previous: Perfect comment and much appreciated.

I don't think someone mis-refers Harry and Meghan as the next king and queen deserve that much discussions. Pretty sure no one really think they will be king and queen someday considering BRF's high profile, let alone Harry and Meghan.

Curbside 05-22-2018 09:53 AM

I think Meghan knows the expectations of her new position. I'm sure she considered all of those things--upsides and downsides--before she agreed to marry Harry.

jacqui24 05-22-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114068)
Think he wrote this piece in response to one of the American networks referring to Harry and Meghan as the next king and Queen.

This article provides context on the realities of being married to the 6th in line.

What American network referred to them as the next king and queen? All the major news network coverage I've seen is well aware they won't likely be king and queen. Megyn Kelly even mentioned how don't people think that's what Harry'd prefer when they were doing the review of their royal coverage experience.

Loveshine 05-22-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114052)
ďIn accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isnít a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and itís the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. Itís what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told thereís no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. ď

Max Foster CNN: Royal Reality for Meghan Markle

This whole statement doesn't take into account that Meghan is a very intelligent woman, who's been around all these people for a little while now, and knows what her spot is on the totem pole.

People love to under estimate her, but she hasn't not showed respect to all those individuals.

ashelen 05-22-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2114052)
ďIn accepting the tiara, Meghan also accepted her place in the royal family, and I mean that literally. A tiara isnít a crown. That belongs to the monarch and after The Queen, it will pass to Charles then to William and straight past Harry on to Prince George. Meghan doesn't just fall behind those in the direct line of succession but also Harry and even her sister-in-law, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's a top-down system and itís the glue that keeps the monarchy intact.

Meghan might be the biggest star in the royal family right now and indeed the western hemisphere but her wedding day was the first and last time The Queen waits for her in church and Kate tries to make herself invisible. The reality of that will already be setting in but I know Americans who have lived in the UK for decades who are still baffled by the class system here. Itís what separates the two cultures. Americans are brought up being told they can be president while we Britons are told thereís no point in even trying to be king or queen because you have to be born to it. ď

Max Foster CNN: Royal Reality for Meghan Markle

My husband is British and we use to live in England, Now we live in the US and when we went to see our daughter at 5 years old to school recital celebrating July 4th, made my husband really upset in what this kids were saying, they were having a script by the teachers and the kids memorized. The main point that make my husband upset was when one of the kids said something in the lines :" We are better because we can choose a president instead of a queen" Well you could see my husband getting really upset, saying how do you know? we are happy with our Queen! the concept here in America between royalty and presidents it is so far away from reality. And this was in a private school! there are not better or worst each country use to live different way and we should all respect that

Nico 05-22-2018 11:30 AM

:previous:

I think this article is just a quiet reminder not to Meghan but to some of her die hard fans that, for now of course, the Sussexes are the "it couple" of the BRF and all is fun and nice but in a soon to be future they will be englobed in a far more large working institution where, it's a fact, they will not have THE predominant role.

Of course they will have a MAJOR role , but not the first, and a day to day Monarchy is , let's face it, far to be THAT glamorous. I clearly recall the very high expectations for Will and Kate back in 2011 : "modern", "young", "breath of fresh air" ... now they are seen by many as "stiff", "dowdy" if not "boring" because they are precisely doing the job : more community visits than film premieres.

We are still so excited by last days incredible events, and rightly so. And this article is maybe bordeline "raining on parade" , but yes Meghan has to toe the line, and as pointed out, she seems to perfectly know where her place is.

Missy- 05-22-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2114060)
That's about the gist of it with all mainstream news channels in the US these days, Marengo. The fine art of impartial journalism has taken a back seat to "personalities" and ratings and just a whole lot of "fake" news or blowing things out of proportion.

I want the real stuff back. Who, what, when, how and why.*

*Where? LOL ;)

And I agree.

Cocoasneeze 05-22-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 2114120)
:previous:

I think this article is just a quiet reminder not to Meghan but to some of her die hard fans that, for now of course, the Sussexes are the "it couple" of the BRF and all is fun and nice but in a soon to be future they will be englobed in a far more large working institution where, it's a fact, they will not have THE predominant role.

Of course they will have a MAJOR role , but not the first, and a day to day Monarchy is , let's face it, far to be THAT glamorous. I clearly recall the very high expectations for Will and Kate back in 2011 : "modern", "young", "breath of fresh air" ... now they are seen by many as "stiff", "dowdy" if not "boring" because they are precisely doing the job : more community visits than film premieres.

We are still so excited by last days incredible events, and rightly so. And this article is maybe bordeline "raining on parade" , but yes Meghan has to toe the line, and as pointed out, she seems to perfectly know where her place is.

The thing is, there's no 'quietly pointing it out' to anyone. There has been tens of articles like this, and every Meghan fan is aware of this. It's been bombarded for nearly 2 years now.

I personally find the tone of 'showing Meghan her place' borderline offensive. She has shown no indication, that she thinks she's some sort of star, or that she's marrying a royal in a higher position, than 6th in line. She cones across as hard working, and actually enjoys the behind the scenes work a lot, always has. And this wasn't aimed at you, or anyone else here, but these never ending articles of Meghan needing to learn her place, there has been so many of them.

Gawin 05-22-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 2114116)
My husband is British and we use to live in England, Now we live in the US and when we went to see our daughter at 5 years old to school recital celebrating July 4th, made my husband really upset in what this kids were saying, they were having a script by the teachers and the kids memorized. The main point that make my husband upset was when one of the kids said something in the lines :" We are better because we can choose a president instead of a queen" Well you could see my husband getting really upset, saying how do you know? we are happy with our Queen! the concept here in America between royalty and presidents it is so far away from reality. And this was in a private school! there are not better or worst each country use to live different way and we should all respect that

It's an outdated view based on the British class system. At one time the aristocracy held the political power in the UK and you couldn't grow up to be Prime Minister unless you belonged to the upper-class. In the U.S., on other and, we celebrate presidents like Abraham Lincoln, a "common man," who was born in a log cabin to an illiterate farmer. When the Boston Brahmin Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. campaigned for vice-president in 1960 he had to downplay his patrician background and manner.

Some Americans still view Britain that way. They also tend to lump the monarchy with the aristocracy, with the monarch at the top. That's where the statement "in the U.S. you can grow up to be President but in the UK you can't grow up to be Queen" comes from, ignoring the fact that the two positions aren't parallel.

And the class system does exist in the UK today, at least to some extent, which continues to confuse the issue for some Americans. My great-uncle and his wife lived in the UK in the 1950s and were taken aback by it. Mary Robertson, the American who hired Lady Diana Spencer as her children's nanny in 1980, was surprised at an acquaintance's reaction when she suggested she pair the two together. Diana was an earl's daughter, he was NOT her equal, that could never happen! And I believe the press made snobbish comments about the middle-class Middletons when their daughter dated Prince William.

jacqui24 05-22-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gawin (Post 2114184)
It's an outdated view based on the British class system. At one time the aristocracy held the political power in the UK and you couldn't grow up to be Prime Minister unless you belonged to the upper-class. In the U.S., on other and, we celebrate presidents like Abraham Lincoln, a "common man," who was born in a log cabin to an illiterate farmer. When the Boston Brahmin Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. campaigned for vice-president in 1960 he had to downplay his patrician background and manner.

Some Americans still view Britain that way. They also tend to lump the monarchy with the aristocracy, with the monarch at the top. That's where the statement "in the U.S. you can grow up to be President but in the UK you can't grow up to be Queen" comes from, ignoring the fact that the two positions aren't parallel.

And the class system does exist in the UK today, at least to some extent, which continues to confuse the issue for some Americans. My great-uncle and his wife lived in the UK in the 1950s and were taken aback by it. Mary Robertson, the American who hired Lady Diana Spencer as her children's nanny in 1980, was surprised at an acquaintance's reaction when she suggested she pair the two together. Diana was an earl's daughter, he was NOT her equal, that could never happen! And I believe the press made snobbish comments about the middle-class Middletons when their daughter dated Prince William.

You know, it's interesting. I was watching The View on Monday on their coverage of the royal wedding. Meghan McCain was going on and on about how she couldn't do it because she has paintings of the Founding Fathers in her living room and how they fought against the monarchy. Someone told her the Founding Fathers might be over it at this point. :lol: Yea, things have definitely changed.

Curbside 05-22-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2114186)
You know, it's interesting. I was watching The View on Monday on their coverage of the royal wedding. Meghan McCain was going on and on about how she couldn't do it because she has paintings of the Founding Fathers in her living room and how they fought against the monarchy. Someone told her the Founding Fathers might be over it at this point. :lol: Yea, things have definitely changed.

Not to mention the fact that Britain is one of our closest allies.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises