The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/duke-and-duchess-of-sussex-general-news-part-1-may-2018-december-2018-a-44861.html)

Somebody 05-27-2018 06:18 PM

This article seems to suggest that the couple is off to Australia and are staying in Meghan's former colleague's (Gabriel Macht) home in Queensland. Although it isn't quite clear whether they are talking about 'now' or October.

Fijiro 05-27-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2116778)
Thanks for your post trying to make sense of it. It's however not how the Spanish royal family went about it. In Letizia's biography her first marriage and divorce are mentioned, so different approaches are taken. And imo this is the more appropriate one but as soapstar requested to move on, I will try to do so :flowers:

The BR site also doesn't mention Princess Michael of Kent's first marriage and divorce.

:flowers:

Missy- 05-27-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116591)
I agree. The palace seems to treat her first marriage as if it never happened. I suppose they view it as a negative against her.

And although really trying to play up her previous charity work, the palace also deemed she wouldn’t be continuing with them.

Not sure what message they’re trying to send.

Just wondering, other than a trip to Rwanda and one to India, where is the evidence of her previous charity work? It seems it was very scattered and used to give her talking points and status (a la Angelina Jolie), doesn't seem she did much real 'feet on the ground' work at all.

Rudolph 05-27-2018 08:09 PM

When I say charity work I’m just repeating what others have said. Even Meghan’s story about writing to a dish detergent company when she was eleven wasn’t as spontaneous as I first thought. It was part of a school project.

jacqui24 05-27-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116805)
When I say charity work I’m just repeating what others have said. Even Meghan’s story about writing to a dish detergent company when she was eleven wasn’t as spontaneous as I first thought. It was part of a school project.

Actually that’s not true. She saw the commercial with the kids at school. However, the letters were her own. Even when the kids show went back to interview her, they were clear it was her. I really hate to keep going back and forth on this, but facts do matter.

hel 05-27-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116805)

Not exactly. It was spawned by a school project, but the project wasn't to write letters. From the Inside Edition video:

"For a social studies assignment, way back in elementary school in Los Angeles, Meghan and her classmates were asked to watch some commercials and assess their messages."

There is no indication, from the original footage available or otherwise, that she was required to write letters as part of the project, or that any other child in the class did so.

jacqui24 05-27-2018 10:09 PM

Meghan spent years volunteering at a soup kitchen in Skid Row with her parents and teacher as a teen. She continued to work with a soup kitchen in Toronto when she was on Suits. This information came from various other sources that went on record as well, btw. I believe she also went up the latter and had the food from kraft services on site to be donated to the soup kitchen rather than going to waste. The woman obviously sees a solution to a problem and do things to make it happen.

She spent more than a week in Rwanda. The first being with UN to work with women in local politics as part of her role with UN Women (remember the speech on IWD? That was after this trip). More than half of the members of Parliament in Rwanda are women. So this was part of her Ambassador role. She did spend significant time with One Young World as well in terms of going to their summits and participate as a youth leader. Obviously, there is also her work with World Vision with their campaign to build water wells in Rwanda and the India trip. From all accounts, she did spend significant time behind the scene to actually understand the issues. Reps from both One Young World and World Vision came out and said that she's always well prepared.

I know some criticism has been leveled at her and others for not spending all of their time there, but spending a week here and there. My issue with this is that these people are doing whatever they can to spread the word and get these issues on people's radars.

Rudolph 05-27-2018 10:34 PM

I’m going to disagree over the motives of not just Meghan but celebrities in general. I don’t think they do it to get the issues on the radar, it’s all part of the brand. They go to Africa or India with a camera crew, have their pictures taken looking all bleary eyed and it scores points

Her comments about she only works to provide herself with ability to to charity work is a pretty embarrassing thing to say when we know that’s just not the case.

Countessmeout 05-27-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

This article seems to suggest that the couple is off to Australia and are staying in Meghan's former colleague's (Gabriel Macht) home in Queensland. Although it isn't quite clear whether they are talking about 'now' or October.
The article says :

Quote:

“It’s an incredible place and will be perfect for them to chill out before they go on what is likely to be a fairly non-stop tour.”
Which would suggest that it means they will stop there, if true, at the start of their tour to Australia in the fall. Charles and Camilla have been known to make a stop ahead of a tour, especially on a longer trip, to get adjusted.

jacqui24 05-27-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116853)
I’m going to disagree over the motives of not just Meghan but celebrities in general. I don’t think they do it to get the issues on the radar, it’s all part of the brand. They go to Africa or India with a camera crew, have their pictures taken looking all bleary eyed and it scores points

Her comments about she only works to provide herself with ability to to charity work is a pretty embarrassing thing to say when we know that’s just not the case.

the whole they just want this image thing doesn't work considering a lot of the people that she's worked with always comment on how well-prepared she is. And let's not go on about people curating a public image as something bad or something exclusive to Hollywood. The royal family does it as well.

Lady Gudgeon 05-27-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116853)

‘Hollywood’ is very liberal, virtue signalling, SJW kind of place. Meghan’s political views tells me she fits the mold perfectly.

But isn't this why all royals do charity work - to bring recognition and publicity to said charity? Seems a lot more effective to bring a camera crew along so you/they can then get the word out about the work that the charity does and the communities being supported, etc. Also, it's clear that she has worked with at least one Toronto soup kitchen/food bank and she didn't bring a camera crew along for that. It was only later that we heard about it and that she asked the Suits execs to donate leftover food from craft services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2116843)
Meghan spent years volunteering at a soup kitchen in Skid Row with her parents and teacher as a teen. She continued to work with a soup kitchen in Toronto when she was on Suits. This information came from various other sources that went on record as well, btw. I believe she also went up the latter and had the food from kraft services on site to be donated to the soup kitchen rather than going to waste. The woman obviously sees a solution to a problem and do things to make it happen.

She spent more than a week in Rwanda. The first being with UN to work with women in local politics as part of her role with UN Women (remember the speech on IWD? That was after this trip). More than half of the members of Parliament in Rwanda are women. So this was part of her Ambassador role. She did spend significant time with One Young World as well in terms of going to their summits and participate as a youth leader. Obviously, there is also her work with World Vision with their campaign to build water wells in Rwanda and the India trip. From all accounts, she did spend significant time behind the scene to actually understand the issues. Reps from both One Young World and World Vision came out and said that she's always well prepared.

I know some criticism has been leveled at her and others for not spending all of their time there, but spending a week here and there. My issue with this is that these people are doing whatever they can to spread the word and get these issues on people's radars.

In addition to all of this, she also did a holiday USO tour in 2014.

From the article link below:
A first-time USO tour participant, Markle visited five countries – Spain, Italy, Turkey, Afghanistan and England – during her tour and entertained thousands of service members and their families. “I have always had such a profound respect for our nation’s troops and military families,” Markle said. “I cannot thank them enough for everything they do for us.”

https://www.uso.org/stories/2175-meg...y-were-engaged

video: https://youtu.be/_ceuiLod_bg

Zinnia 05-27-2018 11:43 PM

I will always respect anyone who is a graduate of Northwestern University. It's a highly selective college and very expensive. Currently ranked #11, it is ranked higher than some of the Ivies. Getting in is nearly impossible. Their acceptance rate is 10%! Graduating is even tougher.

Admission, attendance and academic success is even tougher than my time some 20 years ago. My respect to her. Very high intelligence and strong work ethic are required.

Missy- 05-28-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon (Post 2116860)
In addition to all of this, she also did a holiday USO tour in 2014.

From the article link below:
A first-time USO tour participant, Markle visited five countries – Spain, Italy, Turkey, Afghanistan and England – during her tour and entertained thousands of service members and their families. “I have always had such a profound respect for our nation’s troops and military families,” Markle said. “I cannot thank them enough for everything they do for us.”

https://www.uso.org/stories/2175-meg...y-were-engaged

video: https://youtu.be/_ceuiLod_bg

The USO tour is indisputably good work and I give her props and respect for that. The soup kitchen when she was a teen, week in Rwanda, and 'behind the scenes' work are not impressive in the least imo. So I still don't see a any amount of nitty-gritty work, mostly writing articles and making a few speeches, pretty shallow stuff.

Edit: RE the USO tour, I want to put a caveat on this work. Every aspiring actress in Hollywood has done USO work, it's really pretty mundane: show up and make everyone smile. Not real meat and potatoes charity work imo.

ACO 05-28-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon (Post 2116859)
But isn't this why all royals do charity work - to bring recognition and publicity to said charity? Seems a lot more effective to bring a camera crew along so you/they can then get the word out about the work that the charity does and the communities being supported, etc. Also, it's clear that she has worked with at least one Toronto soup kitchen/food bank and she didn't bring a camera crew along for that. It was only later that we heard about it and that she asked the Suits execs to donate leftover food from craft services.

Basically. The royals really aren't that different in the grand scheme of things. They go and promote good causes and use the media to help spread it. They also do things privately as well. And we learned Meghan has done that too over the years. Not everything is in front of a camera lens. But with everything, people will downplay most deeds for one reason or another.

jacqui24 05-28-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy- (Post 2116887)
The USO tour is indisputably good work and I give her props and respect for that. The soup kitchen when she was a teen, week in Rwanda, and 'behind the scenes' work are not impressive in the least imo. So I still don't see a any amount of nitty-gritty work, mostly writing articles and making a few speeches, pretty shallow stuff.

Edit: RE the USO tour, I want to put a caveat on this work. Every aspiring actress in Hollywood has done USO work, it's really pretty mundane: show up and make everyone smile. Not real meat and potatoes charity work imo.

So are all royal work, other than perhaps HMQ's official duties as monarch, not impressive? Because quite frankly, that is what most members of the royal family do.

Cocoasneeze 05-28-2018 12:27 AM

How on earth is it not impressive when a teenager, from the age of 13 until the age of 22, volunteers in a soup kitchen? I think it's really impressive, and shows, that the person has had a desire to do charity work, give back, and help the less fortunate from very early on. Tells a lot about how she was raised, and her character. And then continuing the same practice later on when working on a film set.

I don't get this need to tear down Meghan's previous charity work, to see it meaningless, I just don't see what purpose it serves.

Rudolph 05-28-2018 12:28 AM

Questioning the motives I think is legitimate. Imo most celebrities if not all do this sort of thing because it makes them feel better about themselves rather than out of any deep seated convictions.

The reason I questioned Meghan’s motives is because she said her career was just a way to further her charitable interests. The evidence is clear that’s not the case.

Cocoasneeze 05-28-2018 12:34 AM

Meghan wasn't a celebrity making herself feel better, when she was a teenager volunteering at a soup kitchen.

Meghan has over 2 decades of charity work in her resume, I think it speaks for itself, and she doesn't owe it to anyone to explain her motivations.

jacqui24 05-28-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2116904)
Questioning the motives I think is legitimate. Imo most celebrities if not all do this sort of thing because it makes them feel better about themselves rather than out of any deep seated convictions.

But isn't doing something because of deep seated convictions also to make yourself feel better? There is nothing wrong with doing what makes you feel more fulfilling in life.

And the Hollywood angle certainly doesn't explain why she volunteered as much as she did as a teenager and during her college years. She wasn't part of this Hollywood scene then. In fact, her plan for her life was different at that point.

Rudolph 05-28-2018 12:44 AM

This article was written by the assistant editor of The Spectator. Piers Morgan basically said the same thing in his article last week.

“Among the aloof royals Meghan Markle is something different. But how tolerant will the British prove towards their political princess?”

Read more: The Rise of Woke Monarchism | The American Conservative