The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Belgian State Visit to Canada: March 11-17, 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/belgian-state-visit-to-canada-march-11-17-2018-a-44385.html)

Marika86 02-15-2018 08:34 AM

Belgian State Visit to Canada: March 11-17, 2018
 
[Wim Dehandschutter]@WDehandschutter State Visit to Canada (11-17 March): Belgian King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will travel to Ottowa, Toronto and Montréal.

GGJuliePayette @GGJuliePayette Canada is looking forward to welcoming Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians next month. @MonarchieBe #Belgium https://bit.ly/2EKoTw3

Quote:

Visit of Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians
February 15, 2018

Governor General Announces the Visit to Canada of
Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians
OTTAWA—Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians will undertake a State visit to Canada from March 11 to 17, 2018.

During this visit Their Majesties will visit Ottawa, Toronto and Montréal. The detailed schedule of events will be issued at a later date.

Canada was last visited by a Belgian monarch in 1977, when Their Majesties King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola undertook their State visit.

Mbruno 02-15-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marika86 (Post 2073980)
[Wim Dehandschutter]@WDehandschutter State Visit to Canada (11-17 March): Belgian King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will travel to Ottowa, Toronto and Montréal.

GGJuliePayette @GGJuliePayette Canada is looking forward to welcoming Their Majesties the King and Queen of the Belgians next month. @MonarchieBe #Belgium https://bit.ly/2EKoTw3

Since the current Governor General of Canada is a Francophone, will King Philippe speak in French at the state dinner ? Or maybe he will alternate between English and French (the two official languages of Canada) ? Philippe spoke in Dutch only in the Netherlands.

gerry 02-15-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2074001)
Since the current Governor General of Canada is a Francophone, will King Philippe speak in French at the state dinner ? Or maybe he will alternate between English and French (the two official languages of Canada) ? Philippe spoke in Dutch only in the Netherlands.

I am certain he will speak in both English and French; he will know better than most the delicate diplomacies of bilingualism!:bang::flowers:

Hannelore 02-15-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2074001)
Since the current Governor General of Canada is a Francophone, will King Philippe speak in French at the state dinner ? Or maybe he will alternate between English and French (the two official languages of Canada) ? Philippe spoke in Dutch only in the Netherlands.

What else was he supposed to speak in the Netherlands? Frisian?

Mbruno 02-19-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannelore (Post 2074068)
What else was he supposed to speak in the Netherlands? Frisian?

He could have spoken in Dutch and French.

Just as comparison, in Canada, the PM always speaks both in English and in French in order to respect the equal status of both official languages. My point was that, if the King of the Belgians spoke only in Dutch in the Netherlands, there is a precedent for him to give a speech entirely in French in Canada, and the Flemish won't be in a position to complain about it.

Hannelore 02-20-2018 03:30 AM

I don't agree. He was the guest of a country where only Dutch is spoken. Hardly anyone would understand him if he spoke French in Holland.

In Belgium yes, he has to maintain the balance between Dutch, French and some German. But not abroad.

It's clear and logical that in Canada speeches will be given in French and English, the languages of the host coutry that Philippe also masters. No-one would ever exepct him to speak Dutch and German as well during a speech there.

Spheno 02-20-2018 04:10 AM

Usually at this level events Heads of State speak their own country's language. For example, King Felipe spoke Spanish during state banquet in UK. It's international protocol.
Thus Philippe will speak Dutch or French, not English. Last sentence can be in English.

Mbruno 02-20-2018 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 2075324)
Usually at this level events Heads of State speak their own country's language. For example, King Felipe spoke Spanish during state banquet in UK. It's international protocol.
Thus Philippe will speak Dutch or French, not English. Last sentence can be in English.

King Philippe spoke in English at the State Banquet in Denmark, so he doesn’t always respect the home lianguage rule. Again, the Canadian PM by contrast always speaks in English and French both inside Canada and overseas, regardless of the lianguage that is spoken in the country he is visiting.

Marchesina 02-20-2018 05:43 AM

I think the choice of language depends rather on the context in which one is supposed to hold the speech than a protocol matter. There is no point in speaking in French in The Netherlands when the audience can fully understand one of the official languages of your own country. And in Denmark English is widely used and spoken, so it was wise to use it (and probably that was a common decision between the two households, since Queen Margrethe opted for English as well). In other occasions, though, French and Dutch have been used, like during the Chinese state visit, where interpreters had been provided.

eya 02-23-2018 12:35 PM

Raoul Delcorde‏@RaoulDelcorde 2

On September 19th, 1977, King Baudouin met with Pierre-Elliott Trudeau in Ottawa, on the occasion of a 1st State Visit to Canada. Almost 41 years later, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde @MonarchieBe will come on a second State Visit at the invitation of @GGJuliePayette.


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWusSeBXcAA_jV7.jpg


King Baudouin met the father and now King Philippe will met the son!

Mbruno 02-23-2018 12:44 PM

State dinners in Canada are black tie, so, in principle, no tiara. Queen Maxima wore one of her ruby tiaras in Canada though. I think Mathilde will either wear no tiara, or will wear her Wolfers convertíble necklace as a tiara. What do you think ?

maria-olivia 02-23-2018 01:38 PM

I should like to see the Nine Province tiara and the Wolfers necklace as we saw so often Queen Fabiola.

Stefan 02-23-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2076285)
I should like to see the Nine Province tiara and the Wolfers necklace as we saw so often Queen Fabiola.

Would be a nice combination but not at a black tie State Banquet. Unfotunately it seems that when she wears the Nine Provicnes tiara in it's full setting she prefers not to wear a necklace (as in NL and Denmark). Let's hope she will wear the Wolfers tiara in Canada.

maria-olivia 02-24-2018 06:06 AM

King Albert II missed a lot of State Visits during 20 years !

eya 03-02-2018 11:05 AM

And the Royal Palace as always do posted some pictures from the past visits from and in Canada

State visit to Belgium by Governor-General Roland Michener - April 1971 with the lovely Queen Fabiola
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...dd&oe=5B0DFC53


State visit to Canada by King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola - September 1977
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...de&oe=5B47F0D2


Economic mission in Canada of Prince Philippe - March 2008
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...78&oe=5B022910

Mbruno 03-02-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2078199)
And the Royal Palace as always do posted some pictures from the past visits from and in Canada

State visit to Belgium by Governor-General Roland Michener - April 1971 with the lovely Queen Fabiola
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...dd&oe=5B0DFC53


State visit to Canada by King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola - September 1977
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...de&oe=5B47F0D2


Economic mission in Canada of Prince Philippe - March 2008
https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...78&oe=5B022910

Queen Fabiola was wearing her Spanish wedding gift tiara, apparently with her Tunisian demi-parure, on the first picture. I wish we could see those jewels again on Queen Mathilde !

maria-olivia 03-02-2018 04:11 PM

The Spanish wedding gift must have its green stones .

eya 03-11-2018 08:03 AM

And the King & the Queen are leaving today for a state visit to Canada.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYAQlyFX0AAY7rN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYAQlyJW4AUrqJs.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYAQeAzX4AMPY5N.jpg


And the program of the visit

https://www.belgianstatevisit.be/sit...-_20180227.pdf

https://www.belgianstatevisit.be/activities

iceflower 03-11-2018 08:09 AM

:previous:


Here's a short video of their departure today:


** Video link **

maria-olivia 03-11-2018 08:25 AM

Our Minister of Foreign Affairs wil certalnly go with our Monarchs to Canada ? Wat bed and windly weather and the Queen wears no coat!
I am looking forward this important Visit . 200 belgians are attending


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises