The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Infanta Cristina, Iñaki Urdangarín and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Iñaki, Cristina & the NOOS Corruption Investigation and Imprisonment (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f117/i-aki-cristina-and-the-noos-corruption-investigation-and-imprisonment-44246.html)

lula 06-12-2018 09:14 AM

The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales

Mbruno 06-12-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2122093)
The Supreme Court ordered the authorities on Mallorca ("La Audiencia de Palma de Mallorca) to take care of the execution of the sentence so they will summon Iñaki to show up and be incarcerated (probably in the next few days).

It's Cristina's birthday tomorrow...


How awful to see your husband being arrested on your birthday, but Iñaki brought it upon himself, so it's time to face the consequences of his bad decisions.

Marengo 06-12-2018 09:46 AM

I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.

kalnel 06-12-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 2122106)
The Audience of Palma cites Iñaki Urdangarin, Diego Torres and Jaume Matas to deliver the orders of entry into prison

They will have to appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm

C.G.P.J - Noticias Judiciales

I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?

carlota 06-12-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalnel (Post 2122156)
I'm unclear about what this means. Will they have to surrender and enter prison tomorrow, or will they just find out when and where they need to report?

my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.

Somebody 06-12-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2122118)
I suppose they can also appeal while Inaki is already in prison. It seems that they can still have one appeal in Spain. And there may be the possibility to take it up to Strasbourg.

That's indeed the case. According to an article in El Mundo when someone is sentenced for less than 5 years the constitutional court might decide to keep someone out of prison until a verdict is reached; over 5 years they will be incarcerated and might appeal from prison.

Somebody 06-12-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 2122170)
my guess is that they will just be officially told their prison time, and a date will be agreed / dictated. i do not expect him to enter prison right there and then.

I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.

Missy- 06-12-2018 08:49 PM

Finally justice is served. I hope this is used as a cautionary tale to other royals regarding the misuse of their position for personal gain. My only sympathy is with the children, they are suffering horribly for their parents' poor judgement.

carlota 06-13-2018 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2122256)
I read that normally a few days are given to arrange any personal issues that need to be dealt with; so probably end of this week or at the latest early next week? Not sure whether it will be discussed which prison they will enter. Iñaki probably will ask for a prison that is close to an airport with a direct connection to Geneva so his family can visit him more easily.

this article mentions that inaki is spending 'his last hours of freedom', so maybe he will indeed enter prison on the day or some days shortly after today.

Se hace justicia con Urdangarin | Opinion Home | EL MUNDO

yes, the prisons being considered (inaki can choose) are those that are easy for his family to get to. it may possibly be badajoz, close to lisbon, where the infanta could get a job with the aga khan foundation, who recently purchased property there for it (unknown whether linked at all with the infanta's need to move closer to spain, given by that time it was clear inaki would enter prison. the aga khan is also good friends with juan carlos, so it is not at all unfeasible that they worked together on this. portugal is also very welcoming to spanish royals who hold a good relationship with the country, juan carlos himself was an exile in estoril.

pedro horrach mentioned in the article below that according to law juan carlos would have had to declare and would have done so if he wasn't 'intouchable' - as much as i am impressed that this wasn't slipped under the covers to save inaki, clearly justice isn't the same for everyone.

https://www.elmundo.es/baleares/2018/...a448b46c9.html

lastly, i am glad this issue gets closure. it has been 7 years already and it was about time to make a decision and move on.

An Ard Ri 06-13-2018 05:25 AM

Has Inaki arrived in Court yet?

iceflower 06-13-2018 07:46 AM

:previous:

Yes, he has:


** gettyimages gallery: ESP: Inaki Urdangarin Attends Court In Palma de Mallorca **

An Ard Ri 06-13-2018 08:44 AM

Iñaki Urdangarin arriving to Court in Palma this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gx4LhdrI6M

Biri 06-13-2018 09:16 AM

And he will be taken from the Court directly to the prison?

lula 06-13-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2122401)
And he will be taken from the Court directly to the prison?

He has 5 days to decide which prison he will enter

Osipi 06-13-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 2122405)
He has 5 days to decide which prison he will enter

Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.

loonytick 06-13-2018 10:03 AM

For those of you in Spain or familiar with the Spanish judicial system, is it normal for a person in his position to be given a choice of prisons?

carlota 06-13-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2122406)
Now that is what I call consideration for the sentenced person. No just hauling them off in handcuffs to the local penitentiary but given the choice which penitentiary he prefers. The location to family probably will figure big into this as well as a chance to become familiar with his choices and the reputation of the place he'll choose. Do prisons have star ratings? Amenities? Flat screen TVs in each cell? Are menus available?

But seriously, I like that Inaki has his choice of where he'll do his time at. Makes it a big easier for everyone all the way around.

joking aside, some reports mentioned he may favour a prison which was newly built, with not very many people and which had 'a sports ground and acclimatised pool'. made me think that justice in certain countries is an utter joke. acclimatised pool - seriously? the fact that taxpayers dollars pay for that kind of thing makes me sick. whoever thought there was a need for a pool in a prison? might as well make it a five star hotel whilst they are at it. :bang:

Osipi 06-13-2018 11:06 AM

I see where you're coming from Carlota and it does make a lot of sense. It seems at times that the prison systems are pandering to the inmates but I think there's a middle road somewhere along the line.

The days of being cooped up in a small cell and 3 rations of bread and water a day and otherwise forgotten are long gone. With people like Inaki that have committed what we call "white collar crimes", the period of incarceration isn't only a punishment, but its also a place of rehabilitation where inmates' health and welfare are considered (hence the sports area and the pool) and there's counseling services and even classes to help prepare for their release back into society when their time is served. Those that have drug or alcohol problems that wind them up in prison also have the option of recovery programs while they're serving time.

Anyway you look at it, prison is not a place that someone would choose to be.

An Ard Ri 06-13-2018 11:33 AM

Its making the news around the world

Spanish king's brother-in-law given five days to report to jail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44466383

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ison-sentence/

Moonmaiden23 06-13-2018 11:34 AM

I remember when Cristina and Inaki married. The wedding was beautiful, the bride and groom were fantastic and had amazing chemistry, and their children were simply adorable.

It all seemed such a fairy tale....and now this.

What a shame and a waste.:sad:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises