The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Princess Royal and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Zara and Mike Tindall Expecting A Baby (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f112/zara-and-mike-tindall-expecting-a-baby-44173.html)

Elektra 01-05-2018 08:45 AM

Zara and Mike Tindall Expecting A Baby

Zara and Mike Tindall are expecting another child ! :flowers:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/stat...74266301759488

I'm so happy for them !

Gaudete 01-05-2018 08:45 AM

This is such happy news! So glad for them both.

Goldberry 01-05-2018 09:22 AM

Hurray!!! 🎉🐣❤🎉

SLV 01-05-2018 09:27 AM

Such happy news after last years sadness.

queenofcelts 01-05-2018 09:32 AM

I am very hapy for them! Wonderful news!

Biri 01-05-2018 09:42 AM

Congrats!

I hope all goes well this time.

Pranter 01-05-2018 10:07 AM

AHA! I wondered if they were going to make an announcement soon after seeing some of her recent clothing.

Great news!

LaRae

Biri 01-05-2018 10:10 AM

When is she due? In June?
Maybe the thread: Name suggestions for Zara's second child" be unblocked now?

Curryong 01-05-2018 10:20 AM

Yes, two lovely new babies and a wedding this year, great news Wonderful! Congrats to Zara and Mike.

Skippy 01-05-2018 10:29 AM

Congratulations for the Tindalls. I bet they are jumping up and down with joy right now! :clap:

O-H Anglophile 01-05-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2060376)
AHA! I wondered if they were going to make an announcement soon after seeing some of her recent clothing.

Great news!

LaRae

Me too! I was pretty sure when I saw the Australia photos last week. I'm very happy for them.

Biri 01-05-2018 10:38 AM

Well, jumping could rather be harmful for Zara now :)
To the category of "successful news" we can add also the fact, that HM The Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh are still here to live their Platinum Anniversary'; so few couples have this luck.
As for Zara and Harry's engagement - I am sure she is happy for him.

Oh, I forgot:
Congrats not only to future parents and big sister but also for grandparents and great-grandparents!

Just for curiosity: Is Mike an only child? His bigraphy in English Wikipedia does not mention his siblings.

Lee-Z 01-05-2018 10:39 AM

Great news at the start of the new year, very happy for them!

Skippy 01-05-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2060395)
To the category of "successful news" we can add also the fact, that HM The Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh are still here to live their Platinum Anniversary'; so few couples have this luck.

I agree - only happy news from the BRF up to now!

duchessrachel 01-05-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2060383)
Well, last year, we had two "good news" (third pregnancy of Kate and Harry's engagement)

It is shaping up to be an exciting year. I wonder how close her due date is to Kate's?

Tirilschatz 01-05-2018 10:58 AM

For me, this announcement outshines the wedding announcement by far.
I am SO happy for them and keep my fingers really crossed for everything to go fine.
I already suspected a pregnancy when I saw the recent pictures :rofl::rofl:

Biri 01-05-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchessrachel (Post 2060401)
It is shaping up to be an exciting year. I wonder how close her due date is to Kate's?

I think she will be heavily pregnant on her cousin's wedding (last trimester definitely)
But I am a bit surprised that her gynecologist allowed her to travel for such a long distance (from the UK to Australia - at least two plane changes), considering her age (35+) and previous miscarriage.

sophie25 01-05-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2060408)
I think she will be heavily pregnant on her cousin's wedding (last trimester definitely)
But I am a bit surprised that her gynecologist allowed her to travel for such a long distance (from the UK to Australia - at least two plane changes), considering her age (35+) and previous miscarriage.

I was thinking the same. I would be taking no chances if I was her.

Lisele 01-05-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2060376)

Great news!

LaRae

Yes me too. I saw those pics and thought... she looks pregnant or she's gained weight. I erred on the pregnant side :) So happy for them after last years sad news.

Quote:

Uh.... I'm confused.... why would her gynecologist be concerned? At this point she's only about 3 - 4 months in. Don't know what the rules are where you are, but here in North America most gynecologists would restrict flying at 8 months. I would think it's the same in the UK. Besides, at 35+ age, she's fine and perfectly healthy so I don't see a problem.

BMC 01-05-2018 11:46 AM

Wonderful news and I pray all will go well :flowers:

jacqui24 01-05-2018 11:58 AM

Congrats to the Tindalls. It's wonderful news after the heartbreaking news last time.

As for those concerned because of her age and last miscarriage. I'm sure she's cleared it with her doctor beforehand. Most women who are 35+ and pregnant can still fly. And we don't know what happened last time, so we don't if that's actually a factor here.

O-H Anglophile 01-05-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Maybe she's 5 or 6 months along and everything looks good to the doctor.

Dman 01-05-2018 12:50 PM

Good news indeed!

An Ard Ri 01-05-2018 01:10 PM

Wonderful New Years news,congratulations to Zara and Mike!

Lemon Lyman 01-05-2018 01:19 PM

Iíve got a feeling she could be 20ish weeks as Iím sure they would have waited as long as possible to announce. Could even have a due date around the same time as Kate.

Pranter 01-05-2018 01:26 PM

When she was pregnant with Mia she was riding/showing well into her pregnancy. I would imagine she's still riding even now. Flying shouldn't be a big concern.

LaRae

Skippyboo 01-05-2018 01:44 PM

The eventing season in the U.K. runs March to October. So she is probably not going to compete this year unless she enters some events late in the season. Riding a horse and riding said horse over a cross country course is two different things. The olympics arenít until 2020 so she will have time to try to make the team for Tokyo after the baby comes.

Pranter 01-05-2018 02:01 PM

IIRC, and I am not sure, she didn't event while pregnant with Mia. I just recall show jumping and dressage. She's probably doing the usual routine riding at this point.

It will be interesting to see if she tries for the Olympic team and if she can make it if she does.

LaRae

Missjersey 01-05-2018 02:21 PM

Fabulous new to the start of a new year!

Ish 01-05-2018 02:30 PM

With Mia, she announced the pregnancy in June, did some eventing at first, then announced she wasnít going to compete any further in July until post-pregnancy, but continued doing dressage in August.

This pregnancy will likely be different just because of the timing - with Mia she announced midway through the season, and was able to be back in the saddle early on in the following season.

This time round it might be harder to compete in the season because sheís pregnant earlier in the season. Sheís likely to be in good form for next year though.

Not sure when qualifications for the 2020 Olympics are though...

royal rob 01-05-2018 02:39 PM

I thought she was pregnant by the latest photos ...great news

Biri 01-05-2018 02:59 PM

This thread is getting stuck!

miss whirley 01-05-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2060395)

Oh, I forgot:
Congrats not only to future parents and big sister but also for grandparents and great-grandparents!

Just for curiosity: Is Mike an only child? His bigraphy in English Wikipedia does not mention his siblings.

He has an older brother, Ian. One of the reasons he proposed when he did was his older brother got engaged, he said it motivated him to be ready for that next step. His brother married a couple months before Mike and Zara.

Pranter 01-05-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 2060478)
With Mia, she announced the pregnancy in June, did some eventing at first, then announced she wasnít going to compete any further in July until post-pregnancy, but continued doing dressage in August.

This pregnancy will likely be different just because of the timing - with Mia she announced midway through the season, and was able to be back in the saddle early on in the following season.

This time round it might be harder to compete in the season because sheís pregnant earlier in the season. Sheís likely to be in good form for next year though.

Not sure when qualifications for the 2020 Olympics are though...

If they do it similar to how the US does they were doing the trials just a few months out from Rio.

LaRae

Empress Merel 01-05-2018 04:07 PM

Happy for them! Hopefully everything will go smoothly

carlota 01-05-2018 04:08 PM

exciting news! can't wait to hear about the birth.

principessa 01-05-2018 04:10 PM

I wish them all the best! I wish her a healthy and smooth pregnancy!

CrownPrincessJava 01-05-2018 04:18 PM

That is great news! I had a feeling she was pregnant after seeing the photos from the family trip in Australia. I wish them a smooth and healthy pregnancy :flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman (Post 2060458)
Iíve got a feeling she could be 20ish weeks as Iím sure they would have waited as long as possible to announce. Could even have a due date around the same time as Kate.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if her due date is around Catherine's or a little later.

MARG 01-05-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2060393)
Me too! I was pretty sure when I saw the Australia photos last week. I'm very happy for them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman (Post 2060458)

I too wondered about the Australian photo and that was almost all we saw of her.

So, congratulations to Mike, Zara and little Miss Mia. I pray all goes well and Mia gets her very own baby doll to show off.

Iluvbertie 01-05-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

One plane change.

If she flew with BA she would go Heathrow - Singapore and then Singapore to Sydney (as does Singapore Airlines)

QANTAS goes via Dubai - London-Dubai; Dubai-Sydney

Cathay goes via Hong Kong

Thai via Bangkok etc

but it is only one change and depending on how long they are on the ground they may even have stayed at a local hotel for a few days.

She would probably have flown at least Business Class so lie-flat beds available the entire distance on most of the above airlines these days as well

I have done this trip many times and the old days of the three legs were gone by the mid-90s to now being only a two-leg journey.

rominet09 01-05-2018 06:54 PM

I am so delighted !!!! I can't wait for the baby to be born !

TLLK 01-05-2018 07:08 PM

So happy for this little family!:flowers:

CyrilVladisla 01-05-2018 07:32 PM

Hooray! Hooray! The happiest days are when babies are born! :sun::sun::sun:

Skippyboo 01-05-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2060525)
If they do it similar to how the US does they were doing the trials just a few months out from Rio.

LaRae

They do things differently with the equestrian sports than say track and field who has a one time trial competition before the games. Itís the horse and the rider together. Zara got on the Olympic team for Beijing but her horse got hurt and then she could not go. You canít just swap another horse. So basically you have to score high enough in the events in the year leading to the Olympics to get picked and then be healthy for the Games (Rider and Horse). So for a shot a Tokyo in 2020. Zara needs to be in high form with her horse in 2019 and maintain it into 2020. For Tokyo, the equestrian teams will have only 3 riders instead of 4 in previous Olympics. So itís going to be tougher to make the team.

Pranter 01-05-2018 07:52 PM

I'm guessing May or June for Zara.

LaRae

Pranter 01-05-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 2060585)
They do things differently with the equestrian sports than say track and field who has a one time trial competition before the games. Itís the horse and the rider together. Zara got on the Olympic team for Beijing but her horse got hurt and then she could not go. You canít just swap another horse. So basically you have to score high enough in the events in the year leading to the Olympics to get picked and then be healthy for the Games (Rider and Horse). So for a shot a Tokyo in 2020. Zara needs to be in high form with her horse in 2019 and maintain it into 2020. For Tokyo, the equestrian teams will have only 3 riders instead of 4 in previous Olympics. So itís going to be tougher to make the team.

Thanks, I'm a former rider and have followed equestrian events for decades.

I know they were doing Olympic trials not long before the Olympics started but I may be thinking of the show jumping.

LaRae

Countessmeout 01-05-2018 10:02 PM

Fantastic news, I am on the 'kind of guessed from the photos' boat :flowers:

I agree there is a chance she may be due around Kate. Considering her last miscarriage after 4 months, they likely waited a bit longer. If she hasn't given birth when Harry gets married, she will likely be heavily pregnant.

I am sure all three cousins are happy to share such happy news right now. :biggrin:

gagates 01-06-2018 01:43 AM

guessed too, that a baby is on the way. "... and look forward to welcoming new members into it next year." Turns out, more members than we thought. I'm happy for them and hope, everything goes well.

Finally a post by myself, after years of reading and commenting in my head only - hello!!!

eya 01-06-2018 02:59 AM

And the family seen for the first time after the happy news touching down the gold coast

Zara and Mike Tindall in Gold Coast after pregnancy news | Daily Mail Online

Iluvbertie 01-06-2018 03:11 AM

I am going to be picky here but it is the 'Gold Coast'. It is actually a city and will be the host of the Commonwealth Games later this year - Charles and Camilla are coming out to open them and presumably Edward to close them as per usual.

I know a lot of people don't actually realise that the area is a city in its own right and so tend to go with the lower case assuming it is simply a region when it is an official city in its own right 'Gold Coast City'

Some information about the place: City of Gold Coast | Home

Lemon Lyman 01-06-2018 04:29 AM

The daily fail are saying summer. She just looks at least 5 months to me.

Iluvbertie 01-06-2018 05:53 AM

She certainly looks like she is further along than Kate but that doesn't mean anything. I would suspect either about the same time as Kate or into July rather than have the risk of it being a certain date in May and missing Harry's wedding.

O-H Anglophile 01-06-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman (Post 2060635)
The daily fail are saying summer. She just looks at least 5 months to me.

I think the writers are guesstimating based on the announcement since so many announce at about 3 months. But I think she's farther along than a baby in the early summer too, early summer is at least mid June. I think they waited as long as they could to announce/confirm and it will be spring.

Pranter 01-06-2018 07:22 AM

It's kinda hard to tell with Zara too because she's a bit thicker build anyway. She can hide things a little more.

I think she is at least 4 months along though simply because I figure after the miscarriage they might of waited longer before announcing this time.

LaRae

two*firecrackers 01-06-2018 07:31 AM

wonderful news! Congrats to the family!

Add me to the i thought she was pregnant based on recent photos club :)

Kandilka 01-06-2018 08:40 AM

I enjoyed the christmas pics without thinking about a pregnancy :smile: I focused on little Mia and admired what a big girl she is and that she always seems to be a happy child.
Never expected Zara to have a catwalk shape - so I did't take a second look on her body. My only thought about her was, how much I have always liked her laid back clothingng style.

And then that news! I am very happy for the Tindalls.

Bine221 01-06-2018 10:00 AM

Oh, I am so happy for the family. And I pray, that everything goes well this time.
I think, she is a little "behind" Catherine, so I am expecting a huge belly at Harrys Wedding.
Bye Bine

French Toast 01-06-2018 11:46 AM

What a blessing for Zara, Mike and Mia!

HereditaryPrincess 01-06-2018 04:50 PM

Oh, congratulations to Zara and her family! 2018 seems like it's going to be another baby year for the BRF.
After last year's tragic news I'm really happy for this lovely little family of three. I thought they wouldn't wait long, from what they have said it seems like they don't want Mia to be an only child.

QueenPenny 01-06-2018 06:02 PM

I'm so happy for them!

contessa 01-06-2018 08:42 PM

My daughter lost a little girl at 25 weeks. With her next pregnancy she waited until she passed that mark to announce her pregnancy to friends even though family knew. She said it was scary until that 25th week passed and things were still going well. So I am wondering if they did the same..

Countessmeout 01-06-2018 08:47 PM

The DF is basing it on 'people announce at three months':ermm:

Zara was around four months when she announced her last pregnancy. No reason to think she would announce earlier this time. The fact she miscarried a few weeks later, makes it even more unlikely she announced at 3 months. I am starting to lean more towards she may be closer to 5 months pregnant. If she announced at 4 months and miscarried 2 weeks later, that will be in the back of her head IMO.

Princess Larisa 01-06-2018 09:11 PM

I think sheís due in May, maybe even late April. After what happened last year, she wouldnít announce before her 4th month and probably would wait even longer if possible, imo.

Anyway, she and Mike usually donít keep her due date a secret, so we should know well in advance.

Lady Nimue 01-07-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2060879)
I think sheís due in May, maybe even late April. After what happened last year, she wouldnít announce before her 4th month and probably would wait even longer if possible, imo.

I think late April, too. :flowers: Lovely news. Happy for them.

JessRulz 01-09-2018 03:41 AM

Posts about the Tindalls in Australia these past few days have been moved to the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8-a-44190.html thread.

sarahedwards2 01-22-2018 09:18 PM

Iím predicting itís a boy so Anne will finally have a grandson, and born on his motherís birthday.

King of the Jungle 01-22-2018 11:50 PM

I guess a baby boy with Philip or Phillips in his name:
Jack Phillips Tindall
Philip Arthur Tindall

If a girl:
Jane Lucy
Rose Matilda

Lady Nimue 01-22-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of the Jungle (Post 2066620)
I guess a baby boy with Philip or Phillips in his name:
Jack Phillips Tindall
Philip Arthur Tindall

If a girl:
Jane Lucy
Rose Matilda

I like Jack Tindall, and Jane Tindall. :flowers:

cepe 01-22-2018 11:58 PM

As Mike's father is called Philip - I'm choosing Philip for a boy.

For a girl, I think Lucy.

Re post #68 there was a girl in my class called Jane Tindall. Tall thin with the most amazing mop of curly hair. :)

rominet09 01-23-2018 07:01 AM

I would prefer a boy.... like that they would get one of each sort.... but as long as the baby is healthy..... another little Mia would be great too !!!!

Princess Larisa 03-14-2018 12:02 AM

After seeing photos of Zara today, I’m going to bet on an early May birth and another girl:heartflower:. Although wouldn’t it be funny if she gave birth before Kate?

Name guesses:
Jack or Leo for a boy and Lily or Ava for a girl, with honoring middle names.

Lemon Lyman 03-14-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2081639)
After seeing photos of Zara today, Iím going to bet on an early May birth and another girl:heartflower:. Although wouldnít it be funny if she gave birth before Kate?

Name guesses:
Jack or Leo for a boy and Lily or Ava for a girl, with honoring middle names.

Me too! Although the Daily Express still thinks she is having a summer baby and is 3 months behind Kate [emoji23][emoji23]

MichelleQ2 03-14-2018 05:17 PM

I have never thought this was a summer baby. I think the only reason they announced Zara's pregnancy was that she was in Australia for press and it was noticeable. I think she was 4 1/2 +months along at that time. I expect both her and Kate to have babies in April - maybe early May. Could be one more reason why H&M went later into the month of May for the wedding. I hope one of the babies is a boy.... George needs a close cousin/ brother.

CyrilVladisla 03-14-2018 09:02 PM

For a daughter: Stephanie
For a son: Douglas

ACO 03-14-2018 11:04 PM

I feel like the press is off with both these pregnancies. They both look farther along. I guess we shall see. I hope Zara has a little boy.

Princess Larisa 03-15-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2081961)
I feel like the press is off with both these pregnancies. They both look farther along. I guess we shall see. I hope Zara has a little boy.

Well, Kate is definitely due in April. However, there is a big difference between April 1st and April 30th.

The Tindalls havenít said anything about her due date, we can only guess based on photos and previous events.

And ultimately babies have a mind of their own and might come early or late (as both George and Charlotte did).

Lee-Z 03-15-2018 04:30 PM

Guesses for names (at which i'm notoriously bad):
Boy: Ben
Girl: Evie

Osipi 03-15-2018 05:13 PM

Off the wall suggestions for this wee one.

Girl: Cara

Reminds me for some reason of the old tune by Jay and the Americans "Cara Mia"

Boy: Marcus

In honor of Zara's dad, Mark.

MichelleQ2 03-15-2018 05:49 PM

If Zara and Mike have a boy I do think Philip will be one of the names... it is Zara's grandfather, Mike's father and Zara's maiden name. Philip seems a bit traditional for the Tindalls as a first name - but i could see it as a middle name.

QueenPenny 03-15-2018 05:54 PM

I'm terrible at this, but I think Zara will have a boy and agree that Philip will be a part of the name.

Lady Nimue 03-15-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2082216)
Off the wall suggestions for this wee one.
Girl: Cara Reminds me for some reason of the old tune by Jay and the Americans "Cara Mia"
Boy: Marcus In honor of Zara's dad, Mark.

Like your name suggestions, Osipi. :flowers:

I am hoping for a boy for them and Marcus seems like a great name. :cool:

Countessmeout 03-15-2018 09:20 PM

Marcus is cute, but I would think if honoring her dad they would use his name, Mark. But I don't think we will see it as a first name. I think like Mia they will go with something more original.

I really do think we will see Philip as a middle name if a boy. It honors both grandfathers of the baby and Zara's grandfather.

I look forward to seeing the first name. Unlike baby Cambridge, the name will be less predictable certainly.

Frideswide 03-20-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2082283)
Marcus is cute, but I would think if honoring her dad they would use his name, Mark. But I don't think we will see it as a first name. I think like Mia they will go with something more original.

I really do think we will see Philip as a middle name if a boy. It honors both grandfathers of the baby and Zara's grandfather.

I look forward to seeing the first name. Unlike baby Cambridge, the name will be less predictable certainly.

More original in the context of the BRF, yes, but Mia was the tenth most popular girl name in 2016 and has been in the top ten for the last few years. So not at all original in that sense. It's what I would call a "faddy" name which will date.

They will probably choose another currently popular name but not necessarily a "classic" name. Similar names that are in fashion are Ava, Freya, Evie and Isla (which is out because already given to her cousin).

Lady Nimue 03-25-2018 05:08 PM

So for clarity: we are expecting this baby around the time of Kate's baby? Or is this a summer baby? :ermm: It seems to me that Zara is further along than a summer baby. I agree with those who say it will be a spring baby.

Pranter 03-25-2018 05:29 PM

Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June.

LaRae

Lady Nimue 03-25-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2085848)
Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June. LaRae

I agree. :flowers: I think she and Kate are neck-and-neck, though Kate will likely edge her out by a hair.

Pranter 03-25-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 2085852)
I agree. :flowers: I think she and Kate are neck-and-neck, though Kate will likely edge her out by a hair.

I think Kate will have her baby by the 15th ish.

LaRae

Lady Nimue 03-25-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2085853)
I think Kate will have her baby by the 15th ish. LaRae

I agree. My best bet on Kate is anywhere from early to mid-April. :flowers: So we'll see. Zara mid to late April or into May.

O-H Anglophile 03-25-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2085848)
Well IIRC the announcement said summer I think...but she's showing quite a bit so I'm thinking end of May or in June.

LaRae

I don't think anything official was ever said about a due date. There was just an announcement that they were expecting a second child. The media speculated summer, since that would be the timing if they announced at 3 months.

Most of us thought Zara was more likely at least 4 1/2 to 5 months along, since she had a miscarriage a few weeks after announcing the last time.

Countessmeout 03-25-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

As discussed a few times in the thread, no due date was ever announced. The summer was the Daily fail assuming she announced at 3 months. Ignoring they waited till 4 months last pregnancy (and miscarried after).

If May, I am thinking early to mid May at the latest. She doesn't look more then a month behind Kate at best. And that would be right along the time line, waiting past four months like last pregnancy, to announce.

Quote:

More original in the context of the BRF, yes, but Mia was the tenth most popular girl name in 2016 and has been in the top ten for the last few years. So not at all original in that sense. It's what I would call a "faddy" name which will date.

They will probably choose another currently popular name but not necessarily a "classic" name. Similar names that are in fashion are Ava, Freya, Evie and Isla (which is out because already given to her cousin).
Just because a name is popular now doesn't make it 'faddy' or not classic. Classic names are becoming extremely popular, even very old fashioned names, in the past few years. Seems to be a reaction to balance out all the Aiden, jaden, Raiden, Maden, Braden names that took over.

Top ten in UK: Olivia, Sophie, Amelia, Lily, Emily. Eva, Isabella and Isabelle, and Isla and Mia. Most of those are very classic traditional names (several of them with royal history). The only slightly faddy would be Isla. Add in names like Ella, Poppy, Grace, Charlotte, Sophie and Evelyn in the top 20 and its even more evident. Same with boys where you see Oliver, Jack, George, Noah, Leo, Oscar, Charlie, William, Joshua, Lucas all very traditional names among the top 20.

And when it comes to royal babies- choosing something without any royal pedigree, popular or not, is new and unexpected. Its not predictable like George and Charlotte.

Frideswide 03-26-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2085871)
Just because a name is popular now doesn't make it 'faddy' or not classic. Classic names are becoming extremely popular, even very old fashioned names, in the past few years.

To be clear, I am talking about names in Great Britain; more particularly England and Wales as Scotland tends to differ to some degree, with some names being more localised there. So what I am saying may not be true for other Anglophone countries.

Classic names are always popular in the sense that they occur regularly through the decades. They may not always be in the top twenty, or even the top fifty, but they are still there in some number.

Some names go out of fashion because they have been popular in the previous two generations. Parents tend to avoid giving names that were common in their own generation and that of their parents. They look rather to names from their grandparents' and great-grandparents' generations, and so those "old-fashioned" names come around again.

When a name suddenly becomes enormously popular without much in the way of precedence, I would see it as a fad, and those names will date.

Countessmeout 03-26-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frideswide (Post 2086146)
To be clear, I am talking about names in Great Britain; more particularly England and Wales as Scotland tends to differ to some degree, with some names being more localised there. So what I am saying may not be true for other Anglophone countries.

Classic names are always popular in the sense that they occur regularly through the decades. They may not always be in the top twenty, or even the top fifty, but they are still there in some number.

Some names go out of fashion because they have been popular in the previous two generations. Parents tend to avoid giving names that were common in their own generation and that of their parents. They look rather to names from their grandparents' and great-grandparents' generations, and so those "old-fashioned" names come around again.

When a name suddenly becomes enormously popular without much in the way of precedence, I would see it as a fad, and those names will date.

Yet all your 'faddy names' are classic, and by that I mean in the UK, names. They aren't these 'new trendy' names. Just because they aren't as dead boring as George, doesn't make them untraditional in the UK. Looking at my own family tree (1/4 English, 2/4 Irish and plenty of Scottish and Welsh throughout the tree) many of those names are well found. Perhaps maybe just not in your small pocket.

Mia as a first name is newer true, 1960's popular as an official name. But has been used as nickname for Maria/Amelia and so on for many centuries. Like Molly having been used for hundreds of years as a nickname for Mary, but later becoming popular as a given name itself.

Denville 03-27-2018 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2085860)
I don't think anything official was ever said about a due date. There was just an announcement that they were expecting a second child. The media speculated summer, since that would be the timing if they announced at 3 months.

Most of us thought Zara was more likely at least 4 1/2 to 5 months along, since she had a miscarriage a few weeks after announcing the last time.

no, I don't believe they gavea due date.... Probably because of the miscarriage last time, they didn't announce until a bit later in the pregnancy than usual....

royal rob 03-27-2018 05:20 AM

We all guessed she was pregnant at Xmas before it was announced so I think she is further ahead

rominet09 03-27-2018 07:09 AM

I really cannot wait !!!!

Frideswide 03-27-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2086151)
Yet all your 'faddy names' are classic, and by that I mean in the UK, names. They aren't these 'new trendy' names. Just because they aren't as dead boring as George, doesn't make them untraditional in the UK. Looking at my own family tree (1/4 English, 2/4 Irish and plenty of Scottish and Welsh throughout the tree) many of those names are well found. Perhaps maybe just not in your small pocket.

Mia as a first name is newer true, 1960's popular as an official name. But has been used as nickname for Maria/Amelia and so on for many centuries. Like Molly having been used for hundreds of years as a nickname for Mary, but later becoming popular as a given name itself.

Our personal definitions of "classic" and "faddy" clearly differ.

What do you mean by my "small pocket"? I base my observations and opinions on official statistics and not, as you imply, on people I have personally encountered.

King of the Jungle 04-08-2018 04:31 AM

So another guess - a healthy baby in June.
Girl: Philippa Rose or Rose Phillips
Boy: Philip Mark James

AdmirerUS 04-08-2018 10:36 AM

Charles suggested Zara as a name to his sister because of her unexpected arrival. I do think this part of the family does not feel they have to pick traditional names.

So I would not be surprised to see this baby be given a name with meaning for the family. Which could well be Philip for a boy. Or something else innovative.

CyrilVladisla 04-11-2018 07:40 PM

For a boy use Ralph as a middle name. Mike's great-great-grandfather is Ralph Ryder.

sarahedwards2 04-13-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2085860)

When my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother, she found out after missing one period in July, and then told my dad the night before their 19th wedding anniversary the third week of August but no one else until after her 16-week ultrasound and amnio in October (she had just turned 43 when she found out, hence the amnio). We went to our cottage the week Dad found out, and Mom cleverly hid it from my dadís parents by drinking water in a wine glass! When she did tell the rest of the family, my grandpa (somehow) knew the baby was a boy, even though my parents didnít find out until the big day. Mom went into labour 10 weeks and 4 days early due to a slow abruption, and ended up having a C-section the next afternoon. Matthew was born at 29w4d on January 20, 1996 weighing 1621 grams or 3 pounds 9 ounces; robust for a baby born at just shy of 30 weeks. He was home 2 1/2 weeks before his due date of April 3, and is today 22 years old, 6 foot 1, and completely unscathed from his early arrival and our momís age when he was born.