The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   King Felipe's 50th Birthday January 30, 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/king-felipes-50th-birthday-january-30-2018-a-44035.html)

An Ard Ri 01-27-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNIE_S (Post 2067265)
:heart:

The images of the family during the speech recording, going to school and having lunch are so sweet. Leonor is a charming girl, I loved her telling to the cameraman: "but you're not going to show this, are you?", and watching her father's speech and applauding at the end, and her excitement when her own photography shows up.

It was all so natural and such a surprise to see it all as Casa Real aren't exactly the speediest at releasing new photos/videos.

Mbruno 01-27-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2067948)
It was all so natural and such a surprise to see it all as Casa Real aren't exactly the speediest at releasing new photos/videos.

Actually, it was nothing but natural. It sounded completely staged and artificial.

I must say I am impressed though with the Spanish school system. I don't recall knowing the names and chemical symbols of all the alkaline earth metals and the halogens by heart when I was 12 as Princess Leonor does !

Somebody 01-27-2018 08:18 AM

Indeed, it was very staged. They were all very aware of the camera... I hope a 12 year old doesn't walk down the stairs holding her dad's hand every day. I did like all the 'no sé's (I don't know) of especially Sofia. She wasn't as much into playing the picture perfect family.

I wouldn't say that expecting children to learn the periodic system by heart is a sign of a good school system but it is still impressive that Leonor was able to do so.

Mbruno 01-27-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2067964)
Indeed, it was very staged. They were all very aware of the camera... I hope a 12 year old doesn't walk down the stairs holding her dad's hand every day. I did like all the 'no sé's (I don't know) of especially Sofia. She wasn't as much into playing the picture perfect family.

I wouldn't say that expecting children to learn the periodic system by heart is a sign of a good school system but it is still impressive that Leonor was able to do so.


Queen Letizia is rumored to be a very strict mother. I read once e.g. that Queen Sofia had to give candy treats to her granddaughters in secret because Letizia wouldn't normally allow them to eat sweets.

I understand Letizia wants to give her daughters the best and healthiest possible upbringing and that is commendable on her part. I just think, however, that she should not hide the girls so much from the public, especially now that Leonor is becoming a teenager. They are entitled to privacy, but it is important for the future of the monarchy that they also establish a connection with the people.

lula 01-27-2018 09:33 AM

They comment that Leonor has that day a natural science exam, and she reviews her lesson for the exam, the chemical elements.

Sofia says that she does not have an exam, but that she is going to rehearse a play for the first time in the school's auditorium, and her mother asks her about the professors who will participate in the rehearsal.

ANNIE_S 01-27-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2067946)
The last clip where the girls, if I understood it correctly, are listing the elements in the Periodic Table is quite odd. I mean, are we supposed to believe that, when they are alone with their parents in the car, they talk about Chemistry ?

Why not? I understood Leonor had an exam that day, she was making a recap. I find nothing odd on that, I used to do that with my parents too.

Duke of Marmalade 01-27-2018 10:10 AM

Of course it is staged, and they have to talk about something. The girls seem much more comfortable than their parents.
The lunch is odd, it is taking place at the reception area of the house, they don't live there and it shows. It's the same setting as at Felipe's 40th birthday shoot, very sterile.
But at least they did something and gave photos and a video to the press (similar to 1st anniversary on the throne) and I guess there must be new photos on Jan 30 as Felipe is hardly recognizable on his official picture from 2012, when he was still Prince.

I love this caption of little Sofia
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/realeza...uerzo_3a-a.jpg

An Ard Ri 01-27-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2068008)
I love this caption of little Sofia
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/realeza...uerzo_3a-a.jpg

Great photo of Sofia!

The king with his glass of wine with dinner,he's living on the wild side ;)

Mbruno 01-27-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2068014)
Great photo of Sofia!

The king with his glass of wine with dinner,he's living on the wild side ;)

That is common in Spain though. Actually, coming from a non-European culture where alcohol is a bit of a taboo, I felt awkward when, in professional visits to Spain, my Spanish colleagues were all drinking wine at lunch. Since I don't drink alcohol daily, and much less at lunchtime, I didn't quite know what to do.

kathia_sophia 01-27-2018 11:08 AM

I live in Portugal and I must say that wine is particulary popular during meals, especially during lunch time. In the summer, most people drink beer during the day, and wine at night. But right now, in winter, wine is a must during the day.

Of course it was staged, I don't recall having seen a photosession or videos that were not part of some sort of celebration. Everything needs to be prepared before start shooting, and that happens in every royal house. Though I must say the Spanish Royal Family seems more stiff, but that's because they are particulary keen on protecting their privacy at all costs and that shows.
But from what I've seen in the video, it starts to feel a bit wrong the way they handle Leonor, she's not confortable in front of cameras. They need to bring her more to the public and start taking her to royal engagements, because if it goes this way it will be much harder for her later on.

ANNIE_S 01-27-2018 12:13 PM

A translation of everything by Tumblr user spanish-royals:

https://spanish-royals.tumblr.com/pos...ideo-casa-real

Winnie 01-27-2018 01:06 PM

Of course it was staged. You really don't think that any royal in any country lets media into their private "space" without knowing ahead of time! Proper security, especially in this violent time our world is in is a must. People complain they don't see the daughters, now you have. I personally am glad it is on the parent's terms and time. I would be very protective of my children especially now in the country of Spain. Some areas of Spain would love to cause upheaval to Spanish government and what a better way than to harm a child. People in this world are nuts, JMHO.

Duc_et_Pair 01-27-2018 02:01 PM

Recommendable to drink a (small) glass of wine during lunch. Very good for digestion. The King is in excellent health, proof that a glass of fermented juice from sun-soaken grapes is a vital part of a healthy diet. ;-)

camelot23ca 01-27-2018 02:32 PM

Well, I think the videos did seem quite stiff and unnatural in a lot of places, but it’s a start. Finally, at age twelve, we’ve heard Leonor say more than one word at a time. That’s progress, (unfortunately I’m being serious), and I hope it won’t be another ten years before we hear her speak again.

Parts of the videos were ok, though. I liked the part where the kids were talking to their father before the speech.The girls were both cute but Sofia was by far the most endearing of the family to me, probably because she seemed to be the most genuinely natural and unconcerned of the four. The others were obviously very aware of the cameras and acting for them.

An Ard Ri 01-27-2018 03:34 PM

It was a rare glimpse into the rarely seen private residence of the King/Queen and family.

Lets hope casareal update the photos on the website as they are all well out of date.

Duke of Marmalade 01-27-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelot23ca (Post 2068075)
The girls were both cute but Sofia was by far the most endearing of the family to me, probably because she seemed to be the most genuinely natural and unconcerned of the four. The others were obviously very aware of the cameras and acting for them.

We'll see how the dynamics will change, the 4 of them seem very close but with age the professional relationship will move to a trio (Kings & Leonor) and Leonor will start working very closely with her father and have a unique career that she cannot share with her sister. She'll have all the responsibility on her shoulders while Sofia might be working for the crown but at the same time will have to look for a normal life outside the SRF, since she will cease being a member of the royal family when her sister becomes Queen.

I am sure from now on we'll see more of Leonor, she certainly will be expected to attend the PoA in some capacity this year.

Duke of Marmalade 01-27-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2068102)
It was a rare glimpse into the rarely seen private residence of the King/Queen and family.

Lets hope casareal update the photos on the website as they are all well out of date.

They are not only out of date (from 2012), there is no family picture at all. But since we got 16 pictures when Letizia turned 40, I am hopeful we get something when Felipe turns 50 :smile:

camelot23ca 01-27-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2068106)
We'll see how the dynamics will change, the 4 of them seem very close but with age the professional relationship will move to a trio (Kings & Leonor) and Leonor will start working very closely with her father and have a unique career that she cannot share with her sister. She'll have all the responsibility on her shoulders while Sofia might be working for the crown but at the same time will have to look for a normal life outside the SRF, since she will cease being a member of the royal family when her sister becomes Queen.

I am sure from now on we'll see more of Leonor, she certainly will be expected to attend the PoA in some capacity this year.

I’ve always thought Felipe and Letizia would have had at least three children had they not had unique pressures at the time of Leonor and especially Sofia’s birth. I think it might be an easier family dynamic when there’s more than one ‘spare’, as opposed to three members of the family who have their lives mapped out and one who needs to know from the start her life will be different. I also think, as much as he clearly loves his girls, that Felipe would have enjoyed having a son.

I don’t think any future Spanish government would object to limiting the working members of the royal family, so to me it would be best if Sofia was prepared for a fairly normal, albeit very privileged life, right from the start. Similar to what her aunts and cousins have now. That way she can fully devote herself to making the life that she wants in terms of studies, future career, where she wants to live, etc. And, at the risk of sounding like my grandmother, it would probably make dating and finding a good man to settle down with easier, too.

Mbruno 01-27-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelot23ca (Post 2068150)
I’ve always thought Felipe and Letizia would have had at least three children had they not had unique pressures at the time of Leonor and especially Sofia’s birth. I think it might be an easier family dynamic when there’s more than one ‘spare’, as opposed to three members of the family who have their lives mapped out and one who needs to know from the start her life will be different. I also think, as much as he clearly loves his girls, that Felipe would have enjoyed having a son.

I don’t think any future Spanish government would object to limiting the working members of the royal family, so to me it would be best if Sofia was prepared for a fairly normal, albeit very privileged life, right from the start. Similar to what her aunts and cousins have now. That way she can fully devote herself to making the life that she wants in terms of studies, future career, where she wants to live, etc. And, at the risk of sounding like my grandmother, it would probably make dating and finding a good man to settle down with easier, too.

Felipe and his sisters broke the Spanish tradition of dynastic marriages, and I assume it won't come back unfortunately. Otherwise, Sofía could count on a marriage probably to another Catholic royal (from France, Italy, Austria, etc.). Personally, I've always thought of King Philippe's sons as good candidates to marry Leonor or Sofía, but, in this day and age, I know it is not going to happen.

julia garcia roch 01-27-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2067946)
The last clip where the girls, if I understood it correctly, are listing the elements in the Periodic Table is quite odd. I mean, are we supposed to believe that, when they are alone with their parents in the car, they talk about Chemistry ?

Don’t be so cynical. Yes, my husband and I used to help our children review for test while driving them to school. Even during High School.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises