The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Archives (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/)
-   -   Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/meghan-markles-fashion-and-style-part-1-november-2017-may-2018-a-43871.html)

Pranter 12-21-2017 12:50 PM

Good grief ..everyone give her a chance to figure things out. She's hardly the first woman marrying into the BRF with their own sense of style (go look back at Princess Michael's clothes from years ago) that is a bit shocking when compared to the usual stuff we see from them. I've seen some really high leg slits and open/exposed backs the last 5 years coming from the BRF...I don't think this dress is going to be an issue.

Harry was obviously fine with the outfit. He's not going to let her get it totally wrong and he knows where the lines are.


LaRae

Elenath 12-21-2017 12:55 PM

It seems to me people who didnít like or her fashion choices before are the ones who are critical now. They would be critical no matter what she wears.

Pranter 12-21-2017 12:58 PM

Yes they look so happy!



LaRae

ACO 12-21-2017 01:00 PM

Meghan will be fine. I get her wanting something more grand for this moment. I will imagine her dress will be on this scale as well. I will never want her to change herself completely. She can do both and find a nice balance.

GrecoPhile 12-21-2017 01:07 PM

It’s so silly to even discuss the cost of the dress. She, of course has the means to either purchase this or the relationships in the industry to wear it on loan.

It’s insane to think the BRF is “just like us” or should dress as we would, they are LITERALLY the largest land owner in the WORLD. Let’s not shame them for, on occasion, showing their wealth, it’s quite alright to acknowledge this and be perfectly happy or content about it.

She looks stunning, and if someone gave me that dress I’d wear it!!

Gaudete 12-21-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2054616)
I think it's a mistake.


That amount of money is more than the average yearly income for many families, and it sends the wrong message.
Like it or not, the BRF is dependent on public support.


Right now Meghan is riding on a wave of goodwill, but a few missteps like this could change that. It doesn't matter if she can afford it. It comes across a thoughtless and insensitive.

She can hardly attend a state banquet in a dress from Primark though. So where does she draw the line? Personally I think that whoever is naming the designers etc within KP should stop it because that way it isn't hard for the tabloids to find out the cost and make a big show out of it. But I wouldn't expect her to wear cheap clothes just because we have poor families. We'll always have them. Other people have money. That's just the way life is. I agree with you that she needs to be a little careful but I don't see it's thoughtless or insensitive when we all know that the Royals aren't paupers. It'd be more insulting if they pretended they were.

Mirabel 12-21-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2054619)
She can hardly attend a state banquet in a dress from Primark though. So where does she draw the line? Personally I think that whoever is naming the designers etc within KP should stop it because that way it isn't hard for the tabloids to find out the cost and make a big show out of it. But I wouldn't expect her to wear cheap clothes just because we have poor families. We'll always have them. Other people have money. That's just the way life is. I agree with you that she needs to be a little careful but I don't see it's thoughtless or insensitive when we all know that the Royals aren't paupers. It'd be more insulting if they pretended they were.


There's a happy medium between squandering $75,000 on a dress and going to Primark.
:whistling:

Gaudete 12-21-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2054637)
There's a happy medium between squandering $75,000 on a dress and going to Primark.
:whistling:

Of course but that's subjective surely? For one thing, we don't know she actually paid for the dress. But moreover, £200 is an awful lot of money to some people to spend on one dress but it'd be second nature to others who wouldn't notice a dent in their bank balance.

Meghan presumably earned a decent wage during her career in the past few years, surely she has the right to spend it on whatever she likes? How are we going to police it and who is going to say what is and isn't acceptable price wise? It sounds to me like the dark days of clothing coupons.

Alliec76 12-21-2017 01:37 PM

The dress isn't my style, but she looks beautiful in it.

As for the cost, if she can afford it, (and she can) then more power to her. We don't know for sure what arrangement was worked out.

O-H Anglophile 12-21-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2054619)
Personally I think that whoever is naming the designers etc within KP should stop it

Bloggers find out/figure out designers too. Some of them are really, really good at it.

It wouldn't make any difference, the "outrage" would continue...

Gaudete 12-21-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2054644)
Bloggers find out/figure out designers too. Some of them are really, really good at it.

It wouldn't make any difference, the "outrage" would continue...

Very true. And I think telling anyone how to spend their money is a little excessive. The Royal Family are privileged people but Meghan will be working very hard to justify the cost of any dress she chooses to buy. There can hardly be anyone else in the public eye who has to "give something back" as much as a member of the Royal Family does.

Pranter 12-21-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2054637)
There's a happy medium between squandering $75,000 on a dress and going to Primark.
:whistling:

And...it's already been put out there this was not bespoke, she didn't pay that for the dress and further possibly borrowed.


LaRae

pooky929 12-21-2017 01:50 PM

No one buys a dress like that for a photo session. This was either gifted or a loaner. Why Harry is not wearing a black suit is beyond me. He looks like he's going to church and she looks like she's going to a formal party in Las Vegas. I really love Meghan,but she seems a bit out of touch with reality. The dress was too formal and was not even flattering on the runway model. Meghan must have a stylist that understands she has short torso and she is not tall. She can't wear anything like Kate can. Harry needs a stylist as well. Love their chemistry though.

cepe 12-21-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2054647)
And...it's already been put out there this was not bespoke, she didn't pay that for the dress and further possibly borrowed.


LaRae

The person on twitter who said bespoke, then changed their mind has changed it again. More apologies and has confirmed it is bespoke.

I think the choice of dress is odd. Or Harry should be in a DJ.

Pranter 12-21-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 2054653)
The person on twitter who said bespoke, then changed their mind has changed it again. More apologies and has confirmed it is bespoke.

I think the choice of dress is odd. Or Harry should be in a DJ.

Hmmm ok will go look...hadn't seen any updates!


LaRae

loonytick 12-21-2017 02:10 PM

I suspect we'll see that dress again at a banquet or some such, at which time it will earn its pricetag, whatever amount is written on it. As for the idea that it's just not "properly royal," everyone's of course welcome to their own opinion but that's a profoundly historically uninformed one. Pretty much every generation of every royal family has had some members who were cautious and staid and others who were kind of glitzy and glamorous. And yes, just as glamorous as the nonroyal celebrities or celebrity-equivalents of their day. Not that I think Meghan's headed down the path of being all about the glitz. She seems to be someone who enjoys the occasional glam moment but lives a pretty down-to-earth day-to-day. Her outfit for the Nottingham appearance, for example, seemed quite toned-down and practical, fitting for the occasion.

cepe 12-21-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2054660)
Hmmm ok will go look...hadn't seen any updates!


LaRae


Valentine Low‏
@valentinelow
3 hours ago

Time to eat humble pie: it looks like Meghan's dress was couture after all. I hereby resign as fashion correspondent. It was fun while it lasted.

Valentine Low is the Royal Reporter for The Times

Zaira 12-21-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2054480)
Considering we had Princess Michael wearing a Blackamoor brooch to the Queen's Christmas lunch, I'd think the offense, if any here is minimal. I mean I know Brexit is causing some anxiety and uncertainty, but we are hardly in a depression or recession here.

Well remember, those of us offended by the brooch are just special PC snowflakes so...:whistling:

ladongas 12-21-2017 02:14 PM

For those who didnít notice it ....
 
...in one of the clothing blogs (sorry, canít find it immediately): The dress Meghan wore to the BP lunch was also worn by Princess Catherine-Amalia at a wedding last summer.

Pranter 12-21-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 2054667)
Valentine Low‏
@valentinelow
3 hours ago

Time to eat humble pie: it looks like Meghan's dress was couture after all. I hereby resign as fashion correspondent. It was fun while it lasted.

Valentine Low is the Royal Reporter for The Telegraph.

Yes but that's not who I saw talking about it earlier...they haven't 'recanted' their statement....



LaRae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises