The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Archives (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/)
-   -   Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/meghan-markles-fashion-and-style-part-1-november-2017-may-2018-a-43871.html)

Rudolph 12-21-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2054505)
Meghans Mirror‏
@MeghansMirror

Sources have shared that Meghan’s gown was not bespoke couture, which indicates it did not cost the reported £56,000. It was also possibly loaned for the purposes of the photoshoot.


Time to eat humble pie: it looks like Meghan's dress was couture after all. I hereby resign as fashion correspondent. It was fun while it lasted.

Via Valentine Low

jacqui24 12-21-2017 11:43 AM

Valentine Low also reported that Harry's suit is by Burberry.

jacqui24 12-21-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2054505)
Meghans Mirror‏
@MeghansMirror

Sources have shared that Meghan’s gown was not bespoke couture, which indicates it did not cost the reported £56,000. It was also possibly loaned for the purposes of the photoshoot.

Wait, I'm confused here. Was the initial price tag based on how much a bespoken Ralph and Russo would've cost as opposed to the actual price tag of the runway gown? Then why the heck are we giving her **** for this?

evolvingdoors 12-21-2017 11:46 AM

I have to agree on the prince tag for the dress being an issue. If the future, future, queen and a former First Lady to the us can wear relatively affordable outfits....
It’s a bit too much, I wasn’t a huge fan of her luncheon dress either. I love clothes! But, she is someone who is about to go into a form of public office, she is no longer gonna be a full on private citizen, you gotta dress the part. And that dress still screams: actress (which is fine, but she is no longer that). I find the sheer/see through parts of the two dresses unfitting for her future position.

jacqui24 12-21-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2054502)
That would be the Hollywood version of staying up all night, the version where the couple look only slightly more casual than they did at the beginning of the evening.

Then they didn't have a lot of fun. :lol: Honestly, these days, that's less Hollywood, and more high fashion. There is a difference.

Empress Merel 12-21-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2054489)
Meghan is an actress and she loves glamour. She won't pretend she doesn't. She has her own money and she can spend it. I am glad she is not suddenly pretending to be something she is not. I don't want her to either.

She was hardly a red carpet staple actress though. Kate wore affordable clothing for her engagement photos and if even those were up there in price. It's not as if she has to wear H&M all of the sudden.

Curbside 12-21-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csw (Post 2054508)
The top of Meghan's dress looks less sheer than the one here:

Meghan Markle Wears Sheer Ralph & Russo Ball Gown in Her Engagement Photo - What Meghan Wearing in Engagement Photos

Scroll down for full length image but the top photo with the 2 side-by-side makes Meghan's look opaque. I wonder if she had it modified specially for her.

Or she had it lined after the fact.

O-H Anglophile 12-21-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2054507)
I'm not that bothered about the price tag, but I'm a little surprised she chose this dress because of the sheer top. Would that be appropriate to wear to Christmas Eve dinner? She looks great, and if she has the confidence to rock it, wonderful! But that is kind of taking a risk, isn't it? :lol:

I think the top of the dress is lined, so not risque.

jacqui24 12-21-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 2054517)
She was hardly a red carpet staple actress though. Kate wore affordable clothing for her engagement photos and if even those were up there in price. It's not as if she has to wear H&M all of the sudden.

Kinda feels like a fragrance ad.

She might not have been a red carper actress, but she is certainly well versed in her previous life in designer clothing. Suits was known for the couture pieces. There were a lot gowns by different designers and pieces by the likes of Tom Ford. And privately, she was also quite involved in that area based on the friends she had. And I would say this had a lot more high fashion rather than Hollywood in it. There is a difference.

Kate wore what she wanted for her engagement. And Meghan is wearing what she wants for her engagement. I'm not sure one has to mean the other has to wear something in that price range. There is a photo of her in a sweater here, instead of a couture gown. :lol: She doesn't have to wear H&M, but she doesn't have to not wear Ralph & Russo if that's the one that caught her eye that day.

ACO 12-21-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 2054517)
She was hardly a red carpet staple actress though. Kate wore affordable clothing for her engagement photos and if even those were up there in price. It's not as if she has to wear H&M all of the sudden.

No but from everything we have seen of her when she had chances to dress up she took full advantage of it. Her entire blog was fashion and lifestyle tips. That is her personality. I doubt she will be rocking these dresses on official royal duty but for her once time only engagement pictures? I don't see the issue.

Empress Merel 12-21-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2054530)
No but from everything we have seen of her when she had chances to dress up she took full advantage of it. Her entire blog was fashion and lifestyle tips. That is her personality. I doubt she will be rocking these dresses on official royal duty but for her once time only engagement pictures? I don't see the issue.

If it's paid for privately, then yes I agree but if the gown really cost that much and it's nought by the RF (and reports have been conflicting), I'm on the fence about it. Especially when you take into consideration that, now less so, but everything Kate wore was under the loop costwise. Wearing too many new clothes, too expensive clothing, not recycling enough etc. etc. I kinda feel like they are both being measured differently. I don't want to imagine the outrage if Kate (especially when she was still the fiance) wore such an expensive gown for a photo.

But I also feel like I'm starting sh.t here.

jacqui24 12-21-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 2054533)
If it's paid for privately, then yes I agree but if the gown really cost that much and it's nought by the RF (and reports have been conflicting), I'm on the fence about it. Especially when you take into consideration that, now less so, but everything Kate wore was under the loop costwise. Wearing too many new clothes, too expensive clothing, not recycling enough etc. etc. I kinda feel like they are both being measured differently. I don't want to imagine the outrage if Kate (especially when she was still the fiance) wore such an expensive gown for a photo.

But I also feel like I'm starting sh.t here.

Kate has worn plenty of expensive gowns. They just happen to be bespoke pieces, so we don't know the specific price. Honestly, people whine about the cost of these women's clothes, but no one really wants to see them in average clothes either. Beauty is part of the allure. And that's why the royal men don't get as many pictures in the newspaper because of the people interest in what these women wore. There is reason why things they've been seen in just sells out and we have the Kate Effect or the Meghan Sparkle Effect.

Skippy 12-21-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 2054424)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRk0_cWX4AAx3lG.jpg

full view of the dress, harry is clearly underdressed!

He is overdressed by his future wife :lol:

Curbside 12-21-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 2054542)
He is overdressed by his future wife :lol:

He's marrying up! :flowers:

Pranter 12-21-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2054511)
Time to eat humble pie: it looks like Meghan's dress was couture after all. I hereby resign as fashion correspondent. It was fun while it lasted.

Via Valentine Low


:biggrin:


LaRae

Dman 12-21-2017 12:19 PM

Transferred from the engagement thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2054489)
Meghan is an actress and she loves glamour. She won't pretend she doesn't. She has her own money and she can spend it. I am glad she is not suddenly pretending to be something she is not. I don't want her to either.

That’s the part I think people still have a hard time accepting. Harry is marrying a woman who has worked hard for what she have and have her own money. She have developed her own taste in style before Harry came along.

This woman shouldn’t tone down her own style for anyone.

Pranter 12-21-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2054541)
Kate has worn plenty of expensive gowns. They just happen to be bespoke pieces, so we don't know the specific price. Honestly, people whine about the cost of these women's clothes, but no one really wants to see them in average clothes either. Beauty is part of the allure. And that's why the royal men don't get as many pictures in the newspaper because of the people interest in what these women wore. There is reason why things they've been seen in just sells out and we have the Kate Effect or the Meghan Sparkle Effect.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard ...boring, nothing special etc etc

Poor girls can't win...if they wear expensive they get dinged if they wear 'regular' clothes they get dinged. I'd say to heck with all of you and do what I wanted.


LaRae

Zaira 12-21-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 2054553)
Transferred from the engagement thread:



That’s the part I think people still have a hard time accepting. Harry is marrying a woman who has worked hard for what she have and have her own money. She have developed her own taste in style before Harry came along.

This woman shouldn’t tone down her own style for anyone.

Yup. As long as she is appropriate, and most of her RC looks have been except a few lower cut styles, I hope Meghan keeps her own fashion sense. :flowers:

Missjersey 12-21-2017 12:46 PM

That Meghan is happy with her choice is all that counts. She doesn't care Missjersey doesn't like the bottom of the dress. This is one of the happiest days in her life and that's what I see.

O-H Anglophile 12-21-2017 12:46 PM

I personally wouldn't have chosen/didn't choose a gown for my engagement photos, but they are Harry and her photos so as long as they are happy it is all good.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises