The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/harry-and-meghan-wedding-suggestions-and-musings-43846.html)

Stefan 02-12-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2072883)
The chapel at St. James's Palace is very small. Something like 50 seats.

And still the Wedding of a reigning Queen was held there. And the ione of a future King (George V.) too.

Biri 02-12-2018 12:35 PM

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert also married there.

loonytick 02-12-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2072914)
And still the Wedding of a reigning Queen was held there. And the ione of a future King (George V.) too.

The chapel at St. James was the primary venue for royal weddings for quite a long time, as I understand it. But they weren't big, public affairs then. Still, I love the idea of a modern royal wedding being there. Thanks to cameras they could conceivably both invite the whole world in and also limit the actual guest list to close friends and family.

I wouldn't say the BRF has a tenuous connection to the place these days, but it is used for private things rather than public ones. Diana laid in rest there, as I recall, and George's baptism was held there.

FashionMaven 02-12-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2072838)
No on the same route.

Westminster/Buckingham it is for practical purposes. The family has to travel that route to get to the church. There is really little way to avoid it.

Windsor the family will be staying at the palace. Well except those like Andrew and Edward with homes there of their own.No need to head out into Windsor and make a show of it, to get to the church. It is about the couple after all.

The route after the wedding is for the couple, and the couple alone. To ride together and have the people celebrate with them. :flowers:

My hope is that they open the grounds up for people to cheer along the road ways even if Harry & Co walk and while Meghan rides to the chapel.

I don't see how they would have no one there for that part since folks are going to have to line up for hours and hours before the ceremony anyway.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me the most exciting parts of these royal weddings in my lifetime have always been the processional TO the church. Maybe it's just part of the awesome build up and excitement leading up to the wedding - but that part is just so awesome. We don't get that here in the US really and I've always been awed by it.

I think it's because we get to experience the last moments of their single lives and for Meghan, it will be seeing her experience the last moments of her normal, non-royal life and all of the awe, wonder and craziness of that moment. I just really wanted the chance to experience that with Meghan so to speak, just like we did with Kate. That's one of my favorite parts of Wil and Kate's wedding - seeing her in the car on the way to the Abbey... trying to get glimpses of her gown, etc... seeing the fans outside going nuts and cheering for no reason, lol.

I just love the spectacle of it all.

Osipi 02-12-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 2072914)
And still the Wedding of a reigning Queen was held there. And the ione of a future King (George V.) too.

That was during an era too where they married pretty much in a very private ceremony with only close family attending. Marriages just weren't as much of a grand celebration as they are now. Especially with the development of radio and television broadcasts. Royal weddings became as much of a public event with great interest as any of the grand British traditions. :biggrin:

FashionMaven 02-12-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2072856)
Regarding the procession, this map is my best guess as to what the route will be, based on what has been released so far. The solid yellow line is the route that Edward and Sophie took back in 1999, which comports with what was just released. The dotted yellow line with a question mark is a hypothetical shorter route from the chapel out into Castle Hill.

The magenta line is the path that I'd assume arriving family members will take.

The red lines across the assumed route are the castle gates. We haven't gotten any information about how the areas inside the gates will work this time, but in 1999, the area between the Chapel and the gate in Castle Hill was open to around 8,000 members of the public who applied for tickets in advance (similar to the Garter procession); the picture I found of the Long Walk that year shows no crowds in that area. In 2005, I have a fuzzy memory of the crowds inside the castle being associated with the Prince of Wales's charities.

Thank you so much for drawing this out like that.

IIRC, didn't Sophie and HMQ take the route using The Long Walk in their cars on the way to the chapel? I remember there were a few fans along the Long Walk - or maybe it was just outside of the gates - waving at Sophie as she went by - but it was a miniscule number of people. Maybe they worked at WC and weren't general public?

Stefan 02-12-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2072921)
That was during an era too where they married pretty much in a very private ceremony with only close family attending. Marriages just weren't as much of a grand celebration as they are now. Especially with the development of radio and television broadcasts. Royal weddings became as much of a public event with great interest as any of the grand British traditions. :biggrin:

I know but several Weddings of Queen Victoria's children took palce at St. Georgs Chapel at Windsor which has much more space

Osipi 02-12-2018 01:55 PM

Then again, we can look back at Jane Seymour who married Henry VIII in the Queen's Closet at Whitehall Palace.

Can we imagine all the uproar and scratching of heads if Harry and Meghan had followed suit? I can see it now. A closet???? C'mon! This is a royal wedding!! A CLOSET? :eek:

wyevale 02-12-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

A CLOSET?
I bet you know that 'Closet' meant something rather different in the 16th Century, a Private room, but not necessarily TINY ! Henry 'had good reason' [having beheaded the previous incumbent just days before].

But I get your point, today even 'ordinary' weddings are expected to be impressive in scale, and Royal Weddings the more so !

Princess Larisa 02-12-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2072920)
Maybe I'm in the minority, but for me the most exciting parts of these royal weddings in my lifetime have always been the processional TO the church.
I just love the spectacle of it all.

Funny, this is my least favorite part of the whole thing.
My favorite is the bride walking up the aisle toward the groom and the exchange of the vows.

MARG 02-12-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2072905)
I know - I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I want to see a long processional to build up suspense leading to the wedding.

That's one of my favorite parts of these royal weddings. The arrivals are everything.

Harry and Meghan said they wanted to include the public and the only way that is going to happen is the arrival and departure. The photo of Edward, Charles and Andrew walking down is wonderful. The crowds were cheering and they looked so happy and full of expectation, laughing and interacting with the people. It sure beat them arriving in a car.

Sadly, I don't think we are going to see the guests arrive or depart, except for the royal family waving them off from the Chapel steps. I always remember HM taking off after one of the small children made a break for it. I can't remember whose wedding it was or who the child was but it was such a very ordinary family thing I chuckled,

Osipi 02-12-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 2072954)
Sadly, I don't think we are going to see the guests arrive or depart, except for the royal family waving them off from the Chapel steps. I always remember HM taking off after one of the small children made a break for it. I can't remember whose wedding it was or who the child was but it was such a very ordinary family thing I chuckled,

I believe that was Andrew and Sarah's wedding and the child was William. It was when Andrew and Sarah were leaving in a carriage for their honeymoon and William decided he was going to chase the carriage and the Queen went chasing after him to rein him in. :biggrin:

Pranter 02-12-2018 03:50 PM

Wasn't it William who behaved so badly at Sarah/Andrew's wedding...sticking out his tongue and acting silly? I read somewhere the Queen was not at all happy about his behavior and said something to his parents about it.


LaRae

CyrilVladisla 02-12-2018 04:03 PM

This link shows the carriage route.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVy9whpX0AAUllj.jpg

muriel 02-12-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loonytick (Post 2072918)
I wouldn't say the BRF has a tenuous connection to the place these days, but it is used for private things rather than public ones. Diana laid in rest there, as I recall, and George's baptism was held there.

I referred to the BRFs link with the chapel at Hampton Court being tenuous, not the one at SJP

ACO 02-12-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2072974)
This link shows the carriage route.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVy9whpX0AAUllj.jpg

This is a video of the actual route.

https://twitter.com/visitwindsor/sta...01812038160384

FashionMaven 02-12-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2072957)
I believe that was Andrew and Sarah's wedding and the child was William. It was when Andrew and Sarah were leaving in a carriage for their honeymoon and William decided he was going to chase the carriage and the Queen went chasing after him to rein him in. :biggrin:

HAHAHA! That is hilarious. Is that anywhere in a video?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2072995)
This is a video of the actual route.

https://twitter.com/visitwindsor/sta...01812038160384

My God that approach up to Windsor Castle is nothing short of majestic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2072941)
Funny, this is my least favorite part of the whole thing.
My favorite is the bride walking up the aisle toward the groom and the exchange of the vows.

I love that part too - I wrote and rewrote that post so many times... I really meant to say it was one of my favorite parts and that the processional part was my favorite part aside from the actual ceremony.

But as it's a royal wedding, what makes it different to me is the spectacle leading up to the actual ceremony - which pretty much looks like any other ceremony to be honest, except in size.

But normal people don't have long regal processionals to and from the church with half the country screaming their heads off. Gone are the days of the huge processionals like before Diana and Charles' wedding or even Andrew and Fergie, but the processionals like Catherine's and Wil's are still awesome.

HereditaryPrincess 02-12-2018 05:48 PM

Nice to see the updates of the wedding - St. George's looks gorgeous inside, those stained glass windows are especially beautiful. It was fun to see the time lapse of the wedding route too - quite different from William and Catherine's in London!

FashionMaven 02-12-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 2072954)
Harry and Meghan said they wanted to include the public and the only way that is going to happen is the arrival and departure. The photo of Edward, Charles and Andrew walking down is wonderful. The crowds were cheering and they looked so happy and full of expectation, laughing and interacting with the people. It sure beat them arriving in a car.

As for Meghan at least, going by this video of Sophie and Edward's wedding, she will likely come out of Windsor Castle and go down The Long Drive, just like Sophie did...

https://youtu.be/JfPzQxyfI88?t=84

Finally finding the video of Sophie leaving WC and going down The Long Drive makes me feel better - I think people will be lining the road and it will be packed with people to watch Meghan on the way to St. George's Chapel.

Quote:

Sadly, I don't think we are going to see the guests arrive or depart, except for the royal family waving them off from the Chapel steps. I always remember HM taking off after one of the small children made a break for it. I can't remember whose wedding it was or who the child was but it was such a very ordinary family thing I chuckled,
Maybe - it's possible though that they'll all take The Long Drive like Sophie did... just to include the people on both the arrivals and the processional too.

I could see Harry and William in a car going down The Long Drive and then getting out to walk the rest of the way...

Or maybe they'll walk the whole way, who knows...

I don't think anyone has done the walk up though since Edward.

Dman 02-12-2018 06:25 PM

I think William and Harry will go out and greet some of the crowds the night before the wedding. They did this before the 2011 Cambridge wedding.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises