The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/harry-and-meghan-wedding-suggestions-and-musings-43846.html)

O-H Anglophile 11-27-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery (Post 2042207)
Harry is very charismatic and marketable. Other than his grandmother, brother, paternal aunt, and paternal cousins removed (Alexandra and Marie-Christine) he is the most popular royal.

He deserves the spotlight of the decade, and in a time when Britain and the world is going through tensions and economic and social division like never seen before, it is time for some majestic world joy.

St. Paul's.

Umm, marketable?

Popularity has nothing to do with it. And economics plays into to it the opposite way. Security costs would be higher with St Paul's. And the venue is too large anyway.

Osipi 11-27-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2042208)
Actually William and Catherine's announcement said:
'The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course.

Ah... gotcha. I must have missed that reading the announcement. Thanks.

Somebody 11-27-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbigail (Post 2042194)
Yes, I noticed but perhaps that's because they hadn't yet decided on a location? The balcony kiss is the main reason I want a WA wedding as well. I'm prepared for St. George's but I'll hold out a little hope until it's confirmed.

The wedding date etc for William and Catherine's wedding were also released a few days after the actual engagement, so I don't think how not having that as the focus today has a bearing with what will be happening. I have been counting on a May wedding at St George's... We'll see what they announce later this week.

I am quite sure the two of them and key people within the family and household already know the details but they just haven't been shared yet.

Pranter 11-27-2017 09:57 PM

Looks like we are supposed to find out tomorrow about the time/place.

LaRae

Somebody 11-27-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2042239)
Looks like we are supposed to find out tomorrow about the time/place.

LaRae

As they also thought the engagement announcement was to be on Friday, I'd like to keep the options open. Maybe tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, certainly in the next few days ;) (fot that I go by the timeline of W&C)

Osipi 11-27-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2042236)
I am quite sure the two of them and key people within the family and household already know the details but they just haven't been shared yet.

Yeps. They've been getting their ducks in a row for a while already and its just now that them there ducks are starting to quack. :duckie::duckie::duckie::duckie:

Pranter 11-27-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2042245)
As they also thought the engagement announcement was to be on Friday, I'd like to keep the options open. Maybe tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, certainly in the next few days ;) (fot that I go by the timeline of W&C)

This info came from Camilla T (interview she did today) and she's been pretty accurate on their story. But we'll know tomorrow if she's right or not!

LaRae

EllieCat 11-27-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Basically, the announcement from the Prince of Wales today was almost word for word identical to the one he issued when William and Kate got engaged. No particulars other than just the announcement that they are engaged was made.
There was one big difference; in Wm and Kate's announcement, it said they would live in Wales after the marriage; in this one, it says Harry and Meghan will live in Nottingham Cottage. Not when.

I wish the couple well; they had an articulate and charming interview. I too think it will be St George's in May so it will be interesting to see.

CyrilVladisla 11-27-2017 10:25 PM

Do you believe that some of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany will be invited?

Somebody 11-27-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllieCat (Post 2042264)
There was one big difference; in Wm and Kate's announcement, it said they would live in Wales after the marriage; in this one, it says Harry and Meghan will live in Nottingham Cottage. Not when.

I wish the couple well; they had an articulate and charming interview. I too think it will be St George's in May so it will be interesting to see.

She already moved in...

Abbigail 11-27-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2042236)
The wedding date etc for William and Catherine's wedding were also released a few days after the actual engagement, so I don't think how not having that as the focus today has a bearing with what will be happening. I have been counting on a May wedding at St George's... We'll see what they announce later this week.

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree, although the focus here was on the location which we knew for Will and Kate the day they announced their engagement but we don't yet know for Harry and Meghan. Hence, my response.

They may have already had some idea but I wouldn't be surprised if certain things weren't set in stone, so to speak.

Ish 11-27-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllieCat (Post 2042264)

That’s likely because Meghan has already moved into Nottingham Cottage.

Osipi 11-27-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 2042282)
That’s likely because Meghan has already moved into Nottingham Cottage.

They even told us in the interview that they've been living there together. The two words "our cottage" kind of gave it away. ;)

FashionMaven 11-27-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thena (Post 2042167)
I'm thinking Mia Tindall would make an adorable (if rambunctious) flower girl while Savannah and Isla Phillips would make lovely junior bridesmaids. Maybe Viscount Severn as a page boy? You could also have Robert and Rose Fellowes, the grandchildren of Baroness Fellowes, or Rosemary and Henry Hutt, the grandchildren of Lady McCorquodale. It would be a nice gesture to include some of the Spencer cousins in the bridal party.

And hopefully some kids on Meghan's side of the family. I really would be irritated to see a whole wedding and no representation from Meghan's side of the family other than her parents. She has young godchildren and cousins on her side.

Somebody 11-27-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbigail (Post 2042278)
Oh, I don't necessarily disagree, although the focus here was on the location which we knew for Will and Kate the day they announced their engagement but we don't yet know for Harry and Meghan. Hence, my response.

They may have already had some idea but I wouldn't be surprised if certain things weren't set in stone, so to speak.

However, weren't there still at least two options within London; or was it clear from the start that London meant Westminster Abbey (and not St Paul's)?

My main message was that not announcing the location today doesn't necessarily imply it will be St George's (nor that it will be the Abbey).

Delsia 11-27-2017 10:44 PM

I'm putting the date as May 26th the last Saturday in May which is also the start of a 3 day weekend in America for Memorial Day.

Ish 11-27-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2042272)
Do you believe that some of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany will be invited?

It would depend on the size of the wedding, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

In attendance at William and Kate’s wedding was:

- Philip and Xenia of Hohenlohe-Landenburg and their spouses, grandchildren of the DoE’s eldest sister, Margarita
- Maximilian and Margarita of Baden and his wife, grandchildren of the DoE’s second sister, Theodora
- Karl Adolf of Hesse and his wife, son of the DoE’s youngest sister, Sophie.

The only sibling not represented was Cecilie, who has no surviving descendants.

Abbigail 11-27-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2042291)
However, weren't there still at least two options within London; or was it clear from the start that London meant Westminster Abbey (and not St Paul's)?

My main message was that not announcing the location today doesn't necessarily imply it will be St George's (nor that it will be the Abbey).

Well I agree with that. :smile:

I think most assumed that WA was the only realistic option for Will and Kate.

tihkon2 11-27-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2042272)

I would imagine the ones that Charles/Harry are close with would be invited. I know several of Philip's nephews and their families were at Windsor last week for the 70th wedding anniversary.

US Royal Watcher 11-27-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 (Post 2041411)
Interesting that Windsor castle is closed completely to the public on April 20 and that the state apts are closed from tours on April 19th and 21st. One of the many articles this weekend mentioned this and I thought could possibly be very telling

I would think that if that were the weekend, the castle would have to be closed longer than one day for security reasons. In Washington, DC, security officials often close off areas for days before a large event.

ROYAL NORWAY 11-28-2017 01:01 AM

ITN video - Dickie Arbiter talking about the wedding and (a bit) about titles:
https://itnproductions.com/news/vide...title?type=raw

Missjersey 11-28-2017 01:06 AM

Thank you Royal Norway, now we wait to see if his prediction comes true. I would like St. George’s too

Lady Nimue 11-28-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchessrachel (Post 2041817)
I am guessing he will wear a wedding band out of respect that Meghan is American, and most men do in America.

I'm going to agree. :flowers: I think Harry would do that kind of thing, and I also think Meghan wouldn't insist, so what happens is a toss-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2041982)
Camilla T says BP has already set up a time tomorrow to announce the time/place of the wedding. LaRae

Ah, wagering time! ;) April 20th at St George's Chapel, Windsor (though I'd wish Westminster Abbey)! 'Twill see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 2041976)
I think it will be St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

But wouldn't it be fantastic with a Scottish wedding. Pre-wedding Ball att Stirling Castle, Wedding Service at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Harry wearing a kilt and the drums and bagpipes are playing while Meghan enters the Church and they are leaving, followed by a cortege at the Royal Mile and a post-wedding lunch at Palace of Holyrood House....Yeah i know it won't happen but it would have been great.

What a fabulous vision! :flowers:

Countessmeout 11-28-2017 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thena (Post 2042167)
I'm thinking Mia Tindall would make an adorable (if rambunctious) flower girl while Savannah and Isla Phillips would make lovely junior bridesmaids. Maybe Viscount Severn as a page boy? You could also have Robert and Rose Fellowes, the grandchildren of Baroness Fellowes, or Rosemary and Henry Hutt, the grandchildren of Lady McCorquodale. It would be a nice gesture to include some of the Spencer cousins in the bridal party.

And Meghan's side???? It seems a bit one sided. Meghan has goddaughters, and friends with children as well. And Harry has six godchildren. I think it would be nicer to see both sides of the couple represented, and not simply both sides of Harry's family.

Quote:

Yes. Other then the Greek royals, and Prince Seeso, they are the only foreign royals I'd count on being there. I think we will see a handful, they come for events like the recent anniversary.

It will be interesting to see what non-related royals come. There wont be a whole bunch of royals they don't know other then the rare visit, like at Cambridge wedding.

Quote:

Ah, wagering time! April 20th at St George's Chapel, Windsor (though I'd wish Westminster Abbey)! 'Twill see.
April is a Friday, and since there wont be a bank holiday, seems highly unlikely.

And the 21st is the queen's birthday so I don't see them getting married on her 92nd birthday.

Quote:

But wouldn't it be fantastic with a Scottish wedding. Pre-wedding Ball att Stirling Castle, Wedding Service at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Harry wearing a kilt and the drums and bagpipes are playing while Meghan enters the Church and they are leaving, followed by a cortege at the Royal Mile and a post-wedding lunch at Palace of Holyrood House....Yeah i know it won't happen but it would have been great.
Harry hasn't worn a kilt since he was little, and its traditional for royals who have served in the military to wear their uniform. The British royals also don't have a pre-wedding ball like the continental royals.

Quote:

I'm putting the date as May 26th the last Saturday in May which is also the start of a 3 day weekend in America for Memorial Day.
That is my guess, has been from the start. But not because of memorial day.

No big events. Several weeks after baby Cambridge comes so no worry about the baby being late. A few weeks for a honeymoon before things like trooping and Ascot.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 02:20 AM

Well hopefully we will find out tomorrow (or today as it's now the 28th) where the wedding will be. The sooner the better - that way if they choose St. George's (please let them choose the Abbey) I can get over my disappointment.

I just remember how underwhelmed I was with the lack of pomp and circumstance around Edward and Sophie's wedding. The ceremony was pretty enough - I did like that - but the arrivals lacked the excitement you'd expect from a royal wedding because it's hard for the public to even get close to see them - and then the kiss on the steps lacked excitement because hardly anyone could really see it. It just paled in comparison to the balcony kisses at BP.

It's not really the Abbey venue that excites me - it's the pomp and circumstance before they even get to the Abbey. The procession through the streets with throngs of people lined up to watch, the procession in the carriage after the wedding to BP and then the balcony kiss.

St. George's just doesn't carry the same impact and excitement for me and makes royal weddings there feel very much like any wedding anyone could have in a similar church venue.

Molly2101 11-28-2017 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042454)
Well hopefully we will find out tomorrow (or today as it's now the 28th) where the wedding will be. The sooner the better - that way if they choose St. George's (please let them choose the Abbey) I can get over my disappointment.

I just remember how underwhelmed I was with the lack of pomp and circumstance around Edward and Sophie's wedding. The ceremony was pretty enough - I did like that - but the arrivals lacked the excitement you'd expect from a royal wedding because it's hard for the public to even get close to see them - and then the kiss on the steps lacked excitement because hardly anyone could really see it. It just paled in comparison to the balcony kisses at BP.

It's not really the Abbey venue that excites me - it's the pomp and circumstance before they even get to the Abbey. The procession through the streets with throngs of people lined up to watch, the procession in the carriage after the wedding to BP and then the balcony kiss.

St. George's just doesn't carry the same impact and excitement for me and makes royal weddings there feel very much like any wedding anyone could have in a similar church venue.

I might be in the minority here but I preferred the “underwhelming side” of Edward and Sophie’s wedding as it all felt much more personal (if you can call 500 guests small and personal), whereas with WA and even St Paul’s, they are just such huge venues that it just feels a bit too big. Yes I agree about liking the pomp and circumstance attached to a London procession but I also think that although they are royal, their wedding is personal and they should at least retain some level of intimacy if they can.

That’s just my feeling though of course. If they choose WA or St Paul’s I will be just as thrilled.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2042468)
I might be in the minority here but I preferred the “underwhelming side” of Edward and Sophie’s wedding as it all felt much more personal (if you can call 500 guests small and personal), whereas with WA and even St Paul’s, they are just such huge venues that it just feels a bit too big. Yes I agree about liking the pomp and circumstance attached to a London procession but I also think that although they are royal, their wedding is personal and they should at least retain some level of intimacy if they can.

That’s just my feeling though of course. If they choose WA or St Paul’s I will be just as thrilled.

I envy you for that - you're fine either way!

Countessmeout 11-28-2017 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2042468)

Minority but definitely not alone. :flowers:

I much prefer the more intimate setting. I would love even more, like Scotland. Its not like its going to be private. There will be broadcast of the wedding. And the crowds can still line up for the wedding, just not London.

But I am happy either way. I think people get too invested in other people's weddings. As long as the couple get their choice, I am happy.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady of hay (Post 2042497)
"Smiley" , yes ! I was very smiley the day i got engaged to the man I love, in fact I don't think I stopped smiling from proposal to about a week later !!!
One thing I pick up from the BBC news this morning is that President trump hasn't sent a message of congratulations !
Come on Mr President , Megan is one of your own !!

One benefit of their wedding not being a state wedding is that they won't be forced to invite him.

But they can invite the Obamas.

lady of hay 11-28-2017 04:10 AM

The Guards chapel has also been mentioned by the BBC. As I have posted in another thread , I am not quite sure how many people this holds .

lady of hay 11-28-2017 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042500)
One benefit of their wedding not being a state wedding is that they won't be forced to invite him.

*cackles with glee*

Mmmmm, hadn't thought of that one, but then being in the U K I wouldn't.:whistling:

Sunnystar 11-28-2017 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady of hay (Post 2042505)
The Guards chapel has also been mentioned by the BBC. As I have posted in another thread , I am not quite sure how many people this holds .

Not enough. I remember it being mentioned in the old Prince Harry Future Wedding thread, and some kind soul did the research to show it isn't anywhere close to large enough for even a pared down Royal wedding.

Countessmeout 11-28-2017 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042500)

*cackles with glee*

I'd be surprised if the Obamas were not invited. The Mulroneys should be there (well the son of the former PM and his wife), so in good company. The Trudeaus, Sophie and Meghan are said to be friends, likely as well. But all as personal invites, and not as any kind of political invitation.

Quote:

The "Guards " chapel has been mentioned as a possible venue. I am not sure how big this is as I have never been there, one of the few churches in London I haven't .
The guard's chapel was mentioned on here because of Harry's military link but really has no royal link and isn't all that large.

lady of hay 11-28-2017 04:17 AM

Not an option then. I haven't been in the Guards chapel , so as I said was unsure of the size.

Osipi 11-28-2017 04:32 AM

Considering events in the past, its not unusual to surmise that the Obamas will be invited to the wedding as personal friends. The same with the Trudeaus. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics but personal relationships. This isn't going to be a state wedding so for the most part, there's no political "must invites" on the list be it heads of state or foreign royalty. :biggrin:

We'd see the Obamas seated on the groom's side of the church and the Trudeaus seated on the bride's side if that's how the seating arrangement goes. Or all together in a VIP section.

Sunnystar 11-28-2017 04:34 AM

Back on topic... It's been a long 7 years and my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure that the Obamas weren't invited to W&K's wedding. And while I recall watching Andrew & Sarah's wedding, I can't remember if the Reagans were invited to that one or not (though I do recall Nancy Reagan attending Charles & Diana's wedding). And I have zero recollection of whether or not the Clintons were invited to Edward & Sophie's wedding. My point being... The likelihood of the Trumps scoring an invite to Harry & Meghan's wedding has always been slim to none and it has zero to do with how the BRF feel about Trump, his politics, or his tweets.

lady of hay 11-28-2017 04:44 AM

I have to admit , I did have my doubts about Megan and Harry's relationship. Now I don't , it is obvious to all that they are very much in love . They look "right " together, and I don't think for one minute that Harry is getting anyone of a "lower standard".
Megan will be an asset to our Royal Family , a woman who has had a career , can handle the media with confidence, has already established her humanitarian interests and work.

Countessmeout 11-28-2017 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnystar (Post 2042525)
Back on topic... It's been a long 7 years and my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure that the Obamas weren't invited to W&K's wedding. And while I recall watching Andrew & Sarah's wedding, I can't remember if the Reagans were invited to that one or not (though I do recall Nancy Reagan attending Charles & Diana's wedding). And I have zero recollection of whether or not the Clintons were invited to Edward & Sophie's wedding. My point being... The likelihood of the Trumps scoring an invite to Harry & Meghan's wedding has always been slim to none and it has zero to do with how the BRF feel about Trump, his politics, or his tweets.

Because the Obamas would have been invited as a 'political guest'. WK wedding was not a state occasion. No heads of state were invited, other then governor generals of the commonwealth, and royals. Same goes for Andrew and Edward's weddings.

If the Trudeaus are invited it will be INSPITE of the fact they are a PM and his wife. They will be invited as personal guests, as friends of the bride. Its possible to avoid the 'political angle' Sophie would come by herself. Sophie and Meghan's other friend Jessica Mulroney are friends, so she could accompany the Mulroneys over.

Quote:

it does seem to me, like many pointed out, that standard were lower for harry's wife than for william's. a divorced woman, with an acting career, who isn't british or from a certain social background (such as autumn phillips)... i think those would be too many negatives for someone marrying william.
I don't get your comment about Autumn and social status. Am I missing something???? Her father worked in business (not sure he is any more successful or wealthy than Thomas Markle would be working in show business), and her stepfather was a pilot. Autumn too was an actress. She did acting, bar tending and show room modeling in her college days. The only thing really different is she wasn't divorced, and she moved on to another career.

But like Meghan, Autumn was never going to be the future queen. Certainly less expectations.

Mbruno 11-28-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2042533)
Because the Obamas would have been invited as a 'political guest'. WK wedding was not a state occasion. No heads of state were invited, other then governor generals of the commonwealth, and royals. Same goes for Andrew, Anne and Edward's weddings.

If the Trudeaus are invited it will be INSPITE of the fact they are a PM and his wife. They will be invited as personal guests, as friends of the bride. Its possible to avoid the 'political angle' Sophie would come by herself. Sophie and Meghna's other friend Jessica Mulroney are friends, so she could accompany the Mulroneys over.

I don't get your comment about Autumn and social status. Am I missing something???? Her father worked in business (not sure he is any more successful or wealthy than Thomas Markle would be working in show business), and her stepfather was a pilot. Autumn too was an actress. She did acting, bar tending and show room modeling in her college days. The only thing really different is she wasn't divorced, and she moved on to another career.

But like Meghan, Autumn was never going to be the future queen. Certainly less expectations.

I believe the Trudeaus , see my post above, will be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride, not as the Canadian PM and his wife.

Countessmeout 11-28-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2042546)
I believe the Trudeaus , see my post above, will be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride, not as the Canadian PM and his wife.

As I suggested both in the post you quoted and in one above as well, that they would be invited as guests of Meghan, happy to see you agree :flowers:

Osipi 11-28-2017 05:30 AM

Moving right along here, I keep searching around looking for the wedding details to be released and stumbled across this article from the BBC. Nothing really new in the article but I love the huge picture of Harry and Meghan just gazing into each other's eyes smiling. :biggrin:

Prince Harry and Meghan: More royal wedding details expected - BBC News

texankitcat 11-28-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2042546)

Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.

Biri 11-28-2017 08:54 AM

Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).

Princess Squirrel 11-28-2017 08:54 AM

I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.

Skippy 11-28-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel (Post 2042627)
I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.

I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!

LadyGlendower 11-28-2017 09:03 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.

And...I would feel much better about the convenience and comfort for the Queen and Prince Phillip. The ultimate VIPs in attendance IMO.

We'll know soon!

jacqui24 11-28-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 2042629)
I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!

My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyGlendower (Post 2042631)
Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.

Help me see this - because I just re-watched Edward and Sophie's arrivals and the only drama happened when Edward, Charles and Andrew walked up. And it was muted compared to the other BRF wedding arrivals. Other than that - absolute silence and no build up or anticipation like Andrew/Fergie, Charles/Di or William/Catherine. I just remember watching all of that and getting goosebumps in anticipation.

Now E&S's actual ceremony was beautiful and I loved it - but I just saw no drama to her arrival or any other arrivals. It felt like a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it compared to the others.

Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.

Skippy 11-28-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2042636)
My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.

Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they? :biggrin:

xenobia 11-28-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texankitcat (Post 2042607)
Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.

Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.

jacqui24 11-28-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenobia (Post 2042641)
Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.

Yes, and I’m sure statements will go out from the palace beforehand that they are attending as personal guests of the couple so there will be no confusion. It’d be awfully sad if you can’t invite friends that are dear to you just because which family you belong to and how successful they are.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2042636)

Agreed.

Plus - the historic shot of Meghan and Harry kissing on the balcony? That's just gold.

I wonder if the BRF would give up the huge tourism boost to London by holding this wedding in Windsor. Because that would definitely reduce the tourists coming for the wedding. They'd still get the boost they normally get after royal weddings - but they wouldn't get the London boost.

I really wish I could be like everyone else who wants St. George's - but I'm gonna be so disappointed with that as a venue. There's no drama, no epic procession, and no pomp and circumstance. It could be any wedding and not the wedding of a Senior Royal marrying an American - and an African American biracial bride at that. The US has gone bonkers over this - it'd be a shame to just give up those tourism dollars.

jacqui24 11-28-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 2042642)
I'm not LadyGlendower, but I think she means with 'drama' that the entrance with the steps of St George's (can) work heavily on the emotions (if you're sensitive to it).

And Edward and Sophie would never have had a wedding on the scale of Charles, Andrew and William. His personality (and Sophie's) isn't like that and neither was his position.

I do understand your feelings about British weddings in general, though.

And Edward and Sophie were expected to keep their day jobs and not devote their lives to representing the monarch where his siblings were all expected to do so. Even though that’s not how it worked out, that does make it a different situation than this. Meghan and Harry are expected to spend the rest of their lives being working royals as was made clear in yesterday’s interview.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 2042639)
Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they? :biggrin:

OMG, that’s the biggest thing for me. It’s one wonderful tradition that Charles and Diana started.

Mbruno 11-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenobia (Post 2042641)

Besides, Justin Trudeau is not a Head of State.

Mirabel 11-28-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042637)
Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.

Exactly!
That wedding (Edward and Sophie) seemed so anti-climactic.
I was so disappointed. Somehow it felt dreary.

And I really thought Peter Phillips' wedding wasn't at all nice (those green strapless dresses were so unflattering).

But then, these couples were not expected to be part of the Firm.

Harry and Meghan will be, so I am still holding out hope for Westminster Abbey., and all the pomp and ceremony!
It's the last chance for decades!

jacqui24 11-28-2017 09:51 AM

THe more I think about it, the more I think the location wasn’t finalized when PoW made the announcement. Maybe hey were expecting to take the public temperature a bit? If it was decided at St. George, then he would’ve just said Windsor like he said London in the Cambridge announcement.

Pranter 11-28-2017 09:54 AM

The royal watchers are still saying the info is supposed to be released today so....coming up to 2 pm in London.

LaRae

sophie25 11-28-2017 10:01 AM

Prince Andrew had foreign royals at his wedding so why not Harry especially if it's at WA?

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 10:08 AM

Why am I so stressed/pressed about this? Snap out of it FM!

You would think it was my wedding, lol. Damn.

O-H Anglophile 11-28-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2042626)
Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).

I don't see anyone but William as Harry's best man.

Pranter 11-28-2017 10:09 AM

I think once we know more info (location/date) it will help us more imagine the general plan.

LaRae

Skippy 11-28-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2042703)
I don't see anyone but William as Harry's best man.

Me neither. And I think a 17-year-old best man isn't realistic either. 17 isn't even of age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2042704)
I think once we know more info (location/date) it will help us more imagine the general plan.

LaRae

I think so too. Hurry up, Harry! :lol:

Pranter 11-28-2017 10:13 AM

William will most definately be Harry's best man!

LaRae

akina21 11-28-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 2042154)
I'm not sure how useful the visa regulations are in figuring this out. A general feature of the strict immigration laws in western countries is that they often become very flexible when the applicants are people of status or means.

I don't think they would risk the backlash .

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042702)
Why am I so stressed/pressed about this? Snap out of it FM!

You would think it was my wedding, lol. Damn.

Tell me about it. I jumped out of bed and screamed and jumped up and down when I saw the news pop up. Don't think I'll be this happy even when I get engaged.

Somebody 11-28-2017 11:14 AM

Apparently Windsor is closed around the Queen's birthday because of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting; see tweet.

It seemed an illogical date given Catherine's due date, so this explains the closure of the Castle.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2042751)
Tell me about it. I jumped out of bed and screamed and jumped up and down when I saw the news pop up. Don't think I'll be this happy even when I get engaged.

I just laughed so hard I snorted. :lol:

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2042754)
Apparently Windsor is closed around the Queen's birthday because of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting; see tweet.

It seemed an illogical date given Catherine's due date, so this explains the closure of the Castle.

Yes, I didn't think it would happen on the Queen's birthday as it is her day.

Rudolph 11-28-2017 11:30 AM

#RoyalWedding update: It will be at St George's Chapel, Windsor in May. Meghan will be baptised, and confirmed in to church before service. She will become joint US-UK national in time. Royal family paying for core elements. First joint engagement this Friday in Nottingham! Via CNN

two*firecrackers 11-28-2017 11:32 AM

It will be St. George's

https://twitter.com/MaxFosterCNN/sta...31043821621254

ROYAL NORWAY 11-28-2017 11:33 AM

:previous: Read the statement here:
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...31264140070912

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 11:34 AM

News just broke: wedding at St. George's.

Curryong 11-28-2017 11:35 AM

Yes it's St George's in May.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 11:36 AM

Welp. There goes all of the pomp and circumstance I was craving. I'm sure the ceremony will be lovely. Just disappointed about the location. Really, really disappointed.

No balcony kiss.

Oh well.

I'm so disappointed. Yes the wedding will be lovely but I'm really upset that we won't get a historic balcony kiss and there likely won't be much of a procession.

I'm praying they prove me wrong and have some pomp and circumstance. What a missed opportunity.

Skippy 11-28-2017 11:37 AM

I think St George's Chapel fits Harry's personality. Good for them.

O-H Anglophile 11-28-2017 11:37 AM

May is a lovely month for a wedding. I knew it wouldn't be March, despite Camilla Tominey's assertion.
That made no sense and besides, Lent was a big reason not March.

Sorry for all you guys who were rooting for an Abbey wedding.

But is sounds like a lot of the things people worried about (religion, citizenship) have been sorted out.

Rudolph 11-28-2017 11:39 AM

Well. Given Harry is soon to be 6th in line , I think a wedding at St George’s with no bank holiday is suitable for someone in his position.

Biri 11-28-2017 11:39 AM

Did Harry's aunt and uncles and their respective spouses have "balcony kisses"?

Pranter 11-28-2017 11:40 AM

I was hoping for The Abbey...but May is what I thought!

So exciting! I can't imagine them using St George's and not having a pretty royal type wedding.

LaRae

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biri (Post 2042793)
Did Harry's aunt and uncles and their respective spouses have "balcony kisses"?

I know Andrew and Fergie definitely did.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2042791)
Well. Given Harry is soon to be 6th in line , I think a wedding at St George’s with no bank holiday is suitable for someone in his position.

Perhaps it is - though Andrew was at the Abbey and Harry's more similar to him than Edward.

But okay. I'm just disappointed that the pomp and circumstance I associate with Royal Weddings will be mostly absent. I love that part.

I'm gonna go try to get my excitement back up - I feel really deflated by the news.

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042797)
Perhaps it is - though Andrew was at the Abbey and Harry's more similar to him than Edward.

But okay. I'm just disappointed that the pomp and circumstance I associate with Royal Weddings will be mostly absent. I love that part.

I'm gonna go try to get my excitement back up - I feel really deflated by the news.

I'm bummed about it too.

Pranter 11-28-2017 11:45 AM

Rebecca English‏Verified account
@RE_DailyMail
Following Following @RE_DailyMail
More
#Harry and #Meghan will get married in St George's Chapel at Windsor in May. Exact date to be confirmed. Meghan will also apply to become a British citizen but retain her US citizenship while she does. They want their wedding to be 'fun and joyful' and involve the public.

Emme 11-28-2017 11:45 AM

The wedding will be held in May at St. George's Chapel.

Curryong 11-28-2017 11:46 AM

And Meghan is going to be an Anglican. There'll be a huge reception and party at Windsor Castle, and the wedding will be beautiful

St George's is very old and very prestigious and beautiful. It's lovely. And a joint engagement soon, so they're starting her off early!

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:47 AM

CNN is reporting that Kensington Palace says that Windsor Castle has become a special place for the couple. Maybe that's where those long country walks happened? If that's the case, I'm happy for them despite what I wanted. :lol:

Meghan Markle intends to become UK citizen after marriage to Prince Harry - CNN

miss whirley 11-28-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 2042791)

Quote:

I don't see that. Andrew was 4th in line when he married, Edward was 7th. Harry will be 6th when he marries, that puts him closer to Edward. Especially when you consider that Harry is just a grandson to the reigning Monarch. If Charles was King right now I'd think you'd have a better argument for the Abbey.

jacqui24 11-28-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss whirley (Post 2042814)
I don't see that. Andrew was 4th in line when he married, Edward was 7th. Harry will be 6th when he marries, that puts him closer to Edward. Especially when you consider that Harry is just a grandson to the reigning Monarch. If Charles was King right now I'd think you'd have a better argument for the Abbey.

I don't think it was necessarily done because of whichever in line to the throne. I think it's really the couple that had the final decision as this could've gone either way if we were to look at precedence. Kensington Palace has said that Windsor Castle has become close to the couple's heart. I'm willing to wager that they've spent significant time there already.

Pranter 11-28-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

This is not a small out of the way Church. They can have a really nice even grand wedding there. From what we are hearing they want it to be a fun and joyful event so perhaps not super formal in 'tone'. That doesn't mean we won't get a gorgeous dress and beautiful decorations ..lots of guests.

LaRae

Stefan 11-28-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042780)
Welp. There goes all of the pomp and circumstance I was craving. I'm sure the ceremony will be lovely. Just disappointed about the location. Really, really disappointed.

No balcony kiss.

Oh well.

They can still have a bit more pomp then at Edward's Wedding. Let's hope the men will wear their uniforms and Orders etc. At Edward's wedding they had that strange dresscode with men in morning suit (despite the Wedding beeing in the late afternoon) and the ladies in long gown's but neither tiaras or hats where wished.
And they can still have a nice carriage tour through Windsor town.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2042820)
This is not a small out of the way Church. They can have a really nice even grand wedding there. From what we are hearing they want it to be a fun and joyful event so perhaps not super formal in 'tone'. That doesn't mean we won't get a gorgeous dress and beautiful decorations ..lots of guests.

LaRae

I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards. The bells ringing loudly... when Sophie got out of the car at her wedding (and Camilla too), there was nearly no reaction from the few people they could fit in that area.

It just fell flat for me - as a royal watcher who loves that aspect of royal weddings.

I've said more than once that the actual wedding I expect to be lovely - the one thing I did like about E+S's wedding was the lovely ceremony - but what I was completely overwhelmed by was the procession to the church for everyone. That was just ... so lacking in pomp and circumstance that it felt less like a royal wedding to me.

The one bright spot for the moment for me is that the venue is gorgeous and I can only imagine the flowers they'll have - but I am sorely disappointed that the P&C part won't live up to what I was hoping for.

Pranter 11-28-2017 12:00 PM

That makes sense..I wondered where it was they were taking these long country walks without running into people (who might have cameras etc).

This, marrying at St George, ties into their sentimental/romantic take on things so far.

LaRae

jacqui24 11-28-2017 12:01 PM

Emily Andrews is reporting that the wedding will be televised.

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...38544235433985

Missjersey 11-28-2017 12:02 PM

Very exciting news. It’s sure to be lovely in every way.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2042828)
Emily Andrews is reporting that the wedding will be televised.

https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...38544235433985

I'd have been shocked if it wasn't.

jacqui24 11-28-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042826)
I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards. The bells ringing loudly... when Sophie got out of the car at her wedding (and Camilla too), there was nearly no reaction from the few people they could fit in that area.

It just fell flat for me - as a royal watcher who loves that aspect of royal weddings.

I've said more than once that the actual wedding I expect to be lovely - the one thing I did like about E+S's wedding was the lovely ceremony - but what I was completely overwhelmed by was the procession to the church for everyone. That was just ... so lacking in pomp and circumstance that it felt less like a royal wedding to me.

The one bright spot for the moment for me is that the venue is gorgeous and I can only imagine the flowers they'll have - but I am sorely disappointed that the P&C part won't live up to what I was hoping for.

I feel better after reading that Windsor is close to the couple's heart.

Stefan 11-28-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss whirley (Post 2042814)

But Princess Alexandra a cousin of the Queen also had a Abbey Wedding. And she was much further back in the line of succession then place 6.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FashionMaven (Post 2042826)
I have said REPEATEDLY that my issue isn't the ceremony/wedding itself but all of the pomp and circumstance of the procession to get to the church, the people lining the streets cheering, the excitement of waiting to see the bride arrive at the church, the arrival of the other royals at the church, Harry and Wil's arrival at the church and then the procession through the streets afterwards.

But much of the that was already pulled down in 2011 when the choose cars for the arrivals at the Abbey and not a big carriage procession like in 1986.

FashionMaven 11-28-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2042833)
I feel better after reading that Windsor is close to the couple's heart.

I'm working on it, :lol:

I really stupidly got my hopes up, lol.

Dman 11-28-2017 12:05 PM

I knew St. George’s Chapel, Windsor, would be the place. It’s going to be televised and they can kiss on the Chapel’s steps.

wyevale 11-28-2017 12:07 PM

I'm chuffed Windsor will get a Royal Wedding tourism boost. Friends of mine run [respectively] a Pub and a restaurant there, and the town's economy could do with such an injection of interest.
For Americans who'd like to see the celebrations in person, there are some great Hotels there, [Heathrow is but a few miles away] and London is easily accessible by both Rail and car...

DO come, you'd be so very welcome !