The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/harry-and-meghan-wedding-suggestions-and-musings-43846.html)

ACO 12-19-2017 12:52 AM

It is nothing to compare. It is just expected. Of course they will rehearse it. And Meghan having a gathering with her girls is also expected. I expect nothing less.

Princess Squirrel 12-19-2017 06:35 AM

I can think of a huge gallery in KP where the walls are lined with old paintings. It is open to the public but she could practice in the evening after closing time.

O-H Anglophile 12-19-2017 06:58 AM

I'm not sure that Meghan will have her actual dress beforehand to practice. I would think the designer would have it locked up safe and will bring it to her where ever she gets ready on the wedding day.
I agree, there will be at least one rehearsal at St George's with the wedding party and some more rehearsals with stand-ins. It may be a couple days ahead of time rather than the evening beforehand though.

W.Y.CII 12-19-2017 07:20 AM

There must be a rehearsal (but maybe not a full rehearsal). I agree that she wouldn't wear the actual dress for rehearsal/practice but would wear a sheet with same length and fabric as her dress/train. She definitely has to adjust/learn how to walk with that long train gracefully.

tommy100 12-19-2017 07:31 AM

We saw pics of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden rehearsing in the church with a sheet as a train.

Mirabel 12-19-2017 08:38 AM

If Meghan has all children (which I think might be best), someone will have to take charge
of them (Like Kate did for Pippa's wedding).
Maybe her wedding-planner friend?

ACO 12-19-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2053251)
I'm not sure that Meghan will have her actual dress beforehand to practice. I would think the designer would have it locked up safe and will bring it to her where ever she gets ready on the wedding day.
I agree, there will be at least one rehearsal at St George's with the wedding party and some more rehearsals with stand-ins. It may be a couple days ahead of time rather than the evening beforehand though.

She doesn't need the dress nor would she wear it. The only thing people recommend in dress rehearsals are typically the shoes. They want you as comfortable with the floor and stairs as possible.

jacqui24 12-19-2017 11:46 AM

She won't be wearing her actual wedding dress to the rehearsal. Harry's going to be there. He's not going to see the dress until the moment she walks up that aisle and stand next to him. Technically, we'll all see it before he does. :lol:

In other news, it's exactly five months until the wedding!!! :fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

Osipi 12-19-2017 12:02 PM

I'm not Meghan but I know I would really feel the heebeejeebees if the first time I entered the church to walk down that aisle was on the actual wedding day. It would feel somewhat daunting, I think.

One thing about royal weddings is everything is timed precisely and people are told what time to arrive at the church to be seated. I would think they start by the back of the church with the Queen as the last to arrive before the bridal procession. The bridal procession is timed with the music so it is done just right too.

One custom I've seen done here a lot is that the bows and ribbons are collected from the bridal shower gifts and made into a bouquet on a paper plate to be used at the rehearsal. Rehearsing things does take a lot of nervousness away (but not all) from the actual wedding day.

Things are going to go just fine. :biggrin:

The first thought I had, also, on hearing of this appointment was that he may wear that uniform for his wedding. I did find a picture of the dress uniform for the Royal Marines and it is very impressive but I still like the Household Calvary of the Blues and the Royals better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...t_BdgcN4kcb4M:

Maybe HM, the Queen prefers a splash of red somewhere on royal grooms?

Curryong 12-19-2017 12:14 PM

Yes, Osipi, and I did wonder whether marines are allowed beards and whether, as this is a very senior rank whether he will be wearing that on his wedding day. A blues and Royal uniform with beard might cause a bit of fuss again perhaps!

jacqui24 12-19-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2053347)
Yes, Osipi, and I did wonder whether marines are allowed beards and whether, as this is a very senior rank whether he will be wearing that on his wedding day. A blues and Royal uniform with beard might cause a bit of fuss again perhaps!

I remember the Marines allow for beard when that whole uniform issue came up this year. It was so random. He wore the same thing last year and there is nothing wrong with it. All of sudden, there is all this drama this year.

Muhler 12-19-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053353)
I remember the Marines allow for beard when that whole uniform issue came up this year. It was so random. He wore the same thing last year and there is nothing wrong with it. All of sudden, there is all this drama this year.

Good point. :biggrin:

jacqui24 12-19-2017 03:33 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

With today's new appointment of Harry as Captain General Royal Marines today. Now the question isn't just what the bride will wear. What will Harry wear? His Royals and Blues uniform or the new uniform?

Osipi 12-19-2017 03:41 PM

I posted this link in Harry's Current Events thread and it bears reposting here as its here we'll talk about the uniform and the wedding.

My thoughts are most likely he will wear the ceremonial uniform of the Royal Marines because:

a) It will be the top position in the military that he has at the time of his wedding.

b) He will not have to shave his beard off as the Royal Marines allow beards while there was a big kerfluffle about Harry's beard and the Blues and the Royals uniform.

c) I think HM, The Queen has a penchant for seeing red on royal grooms hence William's bright red Irish Guard uniform for his and the Royal Marine uniform has nice splashes of red. :biggrin:

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...t_BdgcN4kcb4M:

Somebody 12-19-2017 04:15 PM

Seems a no brainer to me: he will wear the uniform of his highest position.

Interesting tidbit of information that a beard is allowed with this uniform. What were the queen's other options for Harry (or is that already being discussed elsewhere)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053106)
Except, there is no tradition barring it. And rehearsal dinner is for the bridal party and people that involved in the wedding to do a walk through as to what will happen next day, so that everyone knows what to expect. Not sure what does that have to do with it being her second marriage.

My reasoning was that British tradition should prevail at this marriage. Of course, it should be as much as possible adapted to the couple's wishes (and as I said in my post, having 'something' the evening before seems fine) but the suggested 'she may want it' isn't a good enough argument in my book. I am sure they have many ideas and most will be incorporated and some might not. However, Meghan already was in the position in which she could organize her first wedding exactly the way she/they wanted, this time is different as she is marrying into the BRF.

jacqui24 12-19-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2053476)
My reasoning was that British tradition should prevail at this marriage. Of course, it should be as much as possible adapted to the couple's wishes (and as I said in my post, having 'something' the evening before seems fine) but the suggested 'she may want it' isn't a good enough argument in my book. I am sure they have many ideas and most will be incorporated and some might not. However, Meghan already was in the position in which she could organize her first wedding exactly the way she/they wanted, this time is different as she is marrying into the BRF.

And my view on it is that unless there is some reason that it's undoable or can't be done, Harry and Meghan will get what they want for this wedding as they are leading the charge on this by all indications. I don't think Meghan is in any lesser "position" because she had a wedding before. If she wants a simple get together with the bridal party of some members of the bridal party, I don't see that as something that will be barred because of tradition. This isn't any less of her wedding because she had one before, and there will be elements of things that are perhaps are not typically done in it.

And on top of that, rehearsal dinners have nothing to do with whether or not someone has had a wedding before. It is to rehearse the process and walk through the wedding, and then there is a dinner get together after that. The get together is typically just the family and those involved in the wedding. And as people mention before, there will definitely be a walk through.

I think we can assume that the second wedding issue is basically being treated as a non-issue for this wedding.

ACO 12-19-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2053476)

But the wedding will be heavy on British tradition. I don't see how including some of her American influence is a bad thing as she is one. It is her wedding as well and unless it is some huge clash I don't see the issue.

Osipi 12-19-2017 04:40 PM

Maybe for the same reason she picked the Irish Guards for William before his wedding. She likes the uniforms. Especially if they have red in them.

(ducks and runs for cover) :hiding:

Somebody 12-19-2017 04:42 PM

Happy to repeat that I don't see a reason why family and/or friends cannot gather on the night before if that is what Harry and Meghan would like.

Personally, I don't see how the dinner has anything to do with the rehearsal. The rehearsal could easily be done one or a few days in advance without a (formal) rehearsal dinner.

The first comment in this specific discussion was about the Brits not doing rehearsal dinners (and still getting married just fine), so if the couple or the family/household would think that having a rehearsal dinner might construct the wrong image - in the eyes of people in her new country - that to me would be a very good reason not to do it.

I agree that had this been her first marriage, the same would apply, although I can imagine that she might have been given a little more leeway (by the public) as this would be the day she 'always dreamed about as a little girl' - however, that day she already had (although Meghan doesn't come across as someone who had big dreams about her wedding day). This one is not about fulfilling dreams about the perfect wedding day but about showing her commitment to a British prince, his family and country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2053484)
But the wedding will be heavy on British tradition. I don't see how including some of her American influence is a bad thing as she is one. It is her wedding as well and unless it is some huge clash I don't see the issue.

I fully agree! If there is a (perceived) clash (by the British people not from an American perspective) British tradition should prevail, if not, incorporating some other aspects is fine - if that is what the couple wishes.

jacqui24 12-19-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2053487)
Happy to repeat that I don't see a reason why family and/or friends cannot gather on the night before if that is what Harry and Meghan would like.

Personally, I don't see how the dinner has anything to do with the rehearsal. The rehearsal could easily be done one or a few days in advance without a (formal) rehearsal dinner.

The first comment in this specific discussion was about the Brits not doing rehearsal dinners (and still getting married just fine), so if the couple or the family/household would think that having a rehearsal dinner might construct the wrong image - in the eyes of people in her new country - that to me would be a very good reason not to do it.

I agree that had this been her first marriage, the same would apply, although I can imagine that she might have been given a little more leeway (by the public) as this would be the day she 'always dreamed about as a little girl' - however, that day she already had (although Meghan doesn't come across as someone who had big dreams about her wedding day). This one is not about fulfilling dreams about the perfect wedding day but about showing her commitment to a British prince, his family and country.

I'm not sure how offending the British people comes into play here over rehearsal dinner, as that's all we were talking about. Anyways, I don't think Meghan would really do anything that would go as far as offending the British people as I can't imagine anything small in someone else's wedding should offend people. Plus, this wedding will probably end up exceeding most little girls' dreams about their own wedding. Although, I suppose I should question that judging based on the reaction to the date of the wedding. :lol:

Osipi 12-19-2017 04:48 PM

Each wedding is unique to the two people getting married and because a first wedding was done a certain way, it doesn't follow that a second wedding will be reflective of the first.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and I think Meghan would be thrilled to have a proper British royal traditional wedding. In doing so, she's honoring the man she is marrying, his family, his country and her own adopted country. She is also 50% of this wedding and, of course, there will be things she'll like to do with it that uniquely reflect her and there are so many ways she can go about doing this from the dress to the flowers to the music to quite a few other things.

Alliec76 12-19-2017 05:42 PM

All of this over a possible rehearsal dinner? Literally just a few folks getting together the night before the wedding? What if they don't call it a rehearsal dinner? Is that the hang up? Did Zara and Mike Tindall offend the British public by having a cocktail party on the Royal yacht the night before their wedding? I'm missing the big deal. Couples incorporate traditions from both families and cultures all the time. Even royal families.

Look I don't think anyone is going to be confused about this being a British Royal wedding. Basically everything about it will be just that. And it isn't just about Meghan showing her commitment to her new husband/family/country. That's a big part of it, but Harry is also committing to her. And I think he'd want to show that he also honors her heritage. Especially since she is about to be giving so much of it up. This isn't a one way street.

Gaudete 12-19-2017 06:03 PM

The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.

Curbside 12-19-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2053531)
The only reason I don't think the Royal Family has ever bothered with rehearsal dinners is that it would come with a degree of formality that would make it a little impractical and also, it's not as if they don't know the form or how to behave. It would be an odd thing. I would expect some subtle tribute to Meghan's heritage in the form of her bouquet, coat of arms or dress but a rehearsal dinner seems unlikely. Especially as Lady Anson is probably making the finishing touches to her party at the Goring as we speak, which is pretty much as close to a rehearsal dinner as the Royal Family gets.

Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?

Gaudete 12-19-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2053539)
Speaking of, what is the deal with the coat of arms? Will Meghan and Harry get one together after they marry? What is the purpose of the coat of arms?

In the case of the Duchess of Cambridge, a grant of arms was made to Michael Middleton which then enabled the Duchess to use the Coat of Arms before her marriage. After their wedding, the Coat of Arms was "impaled" with that of William's. In Meghan's case, I assume the grant will be made to her personally rather than to her father and she can then use it in her own right before she becomes Harry's wife. After that, it'll be impaled with that of Prince Harry's.

The purpose....well, that's debatable. Years ago, Coats of Arms were pretty vital because they were used to wax seal documents as prove of their authorship and validity. Today, it's still used sometimes as an identifier but mostly it's just a nice thing to have. As the years go by, things will be added to Meghan's coat of arms and it gives a pictorial narrative of her achievements and her place within the Royal Family. But practically? It doesn't really have much of a use unless you're the Pope.

TLLK 12-19-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2053486)
Maybe for the same reason she picked the Irish Guards for William before his wedding. She likes the uniforms. Especially if they have red in them.

(ducks and runs for cover) :hiding:

:lol::lol: She is still in charge!!!

Curbside 12-19-2017 06:45 PM

Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.

Gaudete 12-19-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2053554)
Interesting. Googling reveals that the United States has a coat of arms, known as the Great Seal. Also, all the states of the Union! I had no idea.

I wonder if Meghan's would incorporate a grizzly bear.

I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children. :flowers:

Spheno 12-19-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2053566)
I think it will. And so it should! It would be nice to see her American heritage reflected in her Coat of Arms. Especially for her future children. :flowers:

Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.

ACO 12-19-2017 07:12 PM

Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.

Gaudete 12-19-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2053573)
Thanks for that Gaudete as I had no idea! I also hope they incorporate the grizzly. It would be a nice homage to her home country as she takes this new journey on.

As for her father, I do wonder how the Markle side will play into this. She is clearly not very close to any of them and while she loves her dad there is clearly some distance there. It doesn't appear to be the same kind of relationship with her mother who we know she is extremely close with.

Will be interesting.

I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!

Quote:

Her future children will inherit their father's Coat of Arms.
Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from :flowers:

O-H Anglophile 12-19-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2053577)
I may be wrong on this but American citizens can't accept honours without certain permissions can they? I wonder if a COA would be considered an honour? But then if it was, it doesn't just put Meghan's father out of the running but Meghan herself. Come to that, would she be able to accept any honour from the Queen before becoming a British citizen? It may be regarded as honorary until she has made the change as it were. One to think about!

Of course, I meant more that Meghan could perhaps use it to explain her position and where she came from :flowers:

The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.

Gaudete 12-19-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2053593)
The rules are that the United States doesn't grant titles of nobility nor can people holding office, without the consent of Congress, accept any title (or certain other "gifts.")
And a person holding a US passport would generally not have a title of nobility recognized legally.

Thanks for the clarification here, it was something I had heard about but wasn't too clear on. :flowers:

Curbside 12-19-2017 07:40 PM

But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response. :eek:

CyrilVladisla 12-19-2017 07:41 PM

Will wedding soup be served at the wedding reception?

Pranter 12-19-2017 07:42 PM

I wouldn't think so..unless Harry/Meghan want it specifically.

LaRae

Gaudete 12-19-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curbside (Post 2053603)
But Google says the prince's COA do incorporate elements of their mother's COA.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty...1/harry-crest/

If they do give Meghan a COA, I suppose they could go with a bald eagle, but that is so generic and the US is a huge country. The eagle might be too patriotic, and seeing as we fought a couple of wars against England, I'm guessing inappropriate.

I assume some honors and so forth might be honorary until she becomes a citizen, no? I'm sure there are a number of local customs she will have to abide by that for most Americans would be unthinkable. Just typing the word "curtsy" brings about a visceral negative response. :eek:

Special provision was made for William and Harry to allow them to honour their mother in their COAs. But it isn't usual. I think you're right though, I would assume if they do take any inspiration from American heraldry in Meghan's COA it'll be localised to the state rather than the entire US.

I think it's probably likely that if Meghan does get any honours from the Queen before she's a citizen (given the time frame it would be a little unlikely in my opinion), they'll be recognised here regardless and that's really what counts. Kate hasn't got any honours yet and she's been married for seven years. Given that it takes around 3-5 years to gain citizenship (or at least to begin the process), I don't think there'd be a clash. But anything is possible. HM likes to surprise us sometimes.

O-H Anglophile 12-19-2017 07:45 PM

Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.

ladongas 12-19-2017 07:58 PM

Everyone has to eat- so what is the problem with sharing a meal after the rehearsal?

ACO 12-19-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile (Post 2053608)
Generally a rehearsal dinner in the US is a meal that the immediate families of the bride & groom, their wedding party (and spouses/significant others) and sometimes certain out of town guests attend after the wedding rehearsal. Usually this is held the evening before the wedding and traditionally paid for by the groom's family. This is an opportunity to socialize with this group before the wedding.
Wedding rehearsals for Royal weddings are usually not the evening before the wedding so the original purpose of a rehearsal dinner doesn't exist. Meghan & Harry might have a gathering or a party but probably not a traditional rehearsal dinner.

Yes and when the evening is done the marrieds to be go off with the separate parties until they see each other at the wedding. Clearly something of the same will be happening with them it just not what we call the "rehearsal dinner" which is fine. They will do whatever works for them.

Alliec76 12-19-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 2053613)
Everyone has to eat- so what is the problem with sharing a meal after the rehearsal?

Apparently it's something that the British "just don't do". That's all I got. (Even though I've been reading that more American traditions have been making their way across the Pond.)

They may not even want one. But if they do, I don't see the big deal.

Madame Verseau 12-19-2017 10:23 PM

Meghan's COA would be up to the queen. The grizzly bear is the state animal of California; it could be used . The American Beauty rose is the national flower of the US. That flower can be incorporated in the COA and her wedding bouquet. As for her title, Princess Grace and Queen Noor set the precedent on how an American born woman who is/was royal are to be addressed.

Curbside 12-19-2017 11:21 PM

And again, the US is huge, so going with one flower seems to make less sense than going with something regional or native, which the American Beauty rose is not. But what do I know? I'm really just another uninformed American babbling on the internet. :smile:

Countessmeout 12-19-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

If Meghan has all children (which I think might be best), someone will have to take charge
of them (Like Kate did for Pippa's wedding).
Maybe her wedding-planner friend?
What wedding planner friend? She has a stylist friend Jessica. Am I missing someone? :ermm:

Why would her maid of honor not do that? Pippa did for Kate. Or is some how Meghan going to offend someone by having a maid of honor? I don't see how that could be too unBritish to offend someone, Kate had one.

The rehersal dinner is a laugh. I am sorry but how can anyone get so upset by the thought there may be one? Its people getting together for dinner. How is that insulting or offensive or whatever the issue people are having is? The queen hosted a dinner for out of town royal guests. Meghan is going to have a large number of out of country guests. I don't see why it would offend anyone if they went out to eat the night before.

Cocoasneeze 12-20-2017 01:48 AM

Imho there definitely will be a wedding rehearsal(s), and rehearsal dinner. None of this clashes with any traditions. No one in Britain will care if Meghan and Harry will have a rehearsal dinner with the wedding party. This is THEIR wedding, and like others have said, unless it clashes with some protocols, they'll get their way. Rehearsals and rehearsal dinners aren't clashing with anything. Jmo.

I can't wait to see firstly Meghan in her dress, but also Harry in his uniform. He will be so handsome.

ACO 12-20-2017 01:48 AM

I think the issue (maybe?) is because her friends are not accustomed to the ways? Having her BFF child wrangle little nobles seems like a no no? That is just a guess. I fully believe that Jessica will be by her side like Pippa was for Kate. Meghan said in an interview that Jessica was her sister (her kids call Meghan their aunt) as she was felt like an only child growing up. When I read that interview I was kind of surprised since I knew she had half siblings but now it makes all the sense in the world.

jacqui24 12-20-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2053701)

I can't wait to see firstly Meghan in her dress, but also Harry in his uniform. He will be so handsome.

I CANíT WAIT to see Harryís reaction when he sees Meghan in her wedding dress. I think we are going see some misty prince eyes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2053703)
I think the issue (maybe?) is because her friends are not accustomed to the ways? Having her BFF child wrangle little nobles seems like a no no? That is just a guess. I fully believe that Jessica will be by her side like Pippa was for Kate. Meghan said in an interview that Jessica was her sister (her kids call Meghan their aunt) as she was felt like an only child growing up. When I read that interview I was kind of surprised since I knew she had half siblings but now it makes all the sense in the world.

I think itís a toss up between Meghanís niece, Jessica, and Lindsay.

ACO 12-20-2017 02:09 AM

Ah, Lindsay. Yes. Will be interesting to see who she picks. I forget out of her father's side she is very close to her niece. Seems to be the only one. Though I still think it will likely be Jessica or Lindsay. They are her girls and the ones who have been with her everything it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053705)
I CANíT WAIT to see Harryís reaction when he sees Meghan in her wedding dress. I think we are going see some misty prince eyes.

I can't wait for that moment. Which wedding was it where the tear was wiped away by the bride? That is what I picture. I remember how Harry saw Kate and told William "Just wait until you see her." I want that moment for Harry. He couldn't even handle hearing the world "husband" so I imagine that moment seeing her will be something out of this world for him.

Countessmeout 12-20-2017 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053707)
I think itís a toss up between Meghanís niece, Jessica, and Lindsay.

Honestly Jessica and Linsday IMO. Yes, Meghan has mentioned support of her niece on social media, but little more. I haven't seen much evidence, other then reporters doing stories, that she is that close to her niece at all. Both Lindsday and Jessica are extremely close friends of hers, basically family.

Quote:

Have her friends never been around children before? I don't see how it is a no no. Many American weddings have flower girls and kids in them. Jessica is certainly a mom, and her daughter is highly likely to be in the wedding party, which would make even more sense for Jessica to do it.

The reality is this is not a private wedding where the child wrangler can simply be off to the side. Cameras in the church and all. There wont be an 'unofficial' role.

ACO 12-20-2017 02:22 AM

Of course they have been around children. I personally don't see the issue but I can see some having issue with some basic commoner wrangling kids of noble blood. You know how people get. I mean sheesh there has been debate over something as simple as a rehearsal dinner.

Countessmeout 12-20-2017 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2053726)
Of course they have been around children. I personally don't see the issue but I can see some having issue with some basic commoner wrangling kids of noble blood. You know how people get. I mean sheesh there has been debate over something as simple as a rehearsal dinner. Haha.

Pippa was a commoner and no one had an issue with her wrangling Louise and the other kids at her sister's wedding.

Its highly unlikely, other then the Cambridges, that the children will be aristocratic anyways. Harry and Meghan have plenty of godchildren and friends to pick from their kids. Harry's friends don't tend to be titled, upper class gentry yes, but not aristocracy.

This isn't the 19th century when a duke wouldn't want 'lowly commoners' near their child.

ACO 12-20-2017 02:43 AM

Pippa was also her sister. I actually agree with you but I also realize some could have issue with it. I think overall most won't care. I predict Jessica's daughter Isabel will have a role in the wedding alongside Charlotte and George. Also Heather Dorak is another close friend of hers who will likely be around in her close circle offering support that day.

Sunnystar 12-20-2017 02:54 AM

With respect to Meghan's COA, if there is a floral element to it, I would go with a California golden poppy over the American Beauty rose.

M. Payton 12-20-2017 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACO (Post 2053717)

I can't wait for that moment. Which wedding was it where the tear was wiped away by the bride? That is what I picture. I remember how Harry saw Kate and told William "Just wait until you see her." I want that moment for Harry. He couldn't even handle hearing the world "husband" so I imagine that moment seeing her will be something out of this world for him.

I believe that wedding where the bride wiped tears from her husband's face was Victoria and Daniel of Sweden. That for me was the most romantic wedding ever, they really showed their deep lasting love for each other that day and have not stopped since.

Harry will have tears for sure as he is the one that gets going when he is happy and in love......so many of his pictures show him really just one of the guys with his feelings.

royal rob 12-20-2017 04:02 AM

Previous ..Fred shed tears while waiting for Mary to join him And I think he and Mary had a little cry at Victoriaís wedding

Dani257 12-20-2017 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliec76 (Post 2053631)
Apparently it's something that the British "just don't do". That's all I got. (Even though I've been reading that more American traditions have been making their way across the Pond.)

They may not even want one. But if they do, I don't see the big deal.

I don't either. I've never met a British person, but I assume that in general, they're reasonable people and not easily offended. So much of things is going to be a one way street for her changing her life, that I would hope that if she did have a rehearsal dinner, that most people would be able to say, "this won't affect her representing the country or being a good royal, so even if it's not typical, we won't be offended by something that is not offensive by any stretch of the imagination."

And, of course, she may not have one. But, if I were her, I'd be scared to move with the theoretical offenses that hypothetical people may have. Maybe I'd send a questionnaire to every citizen detailing every possible decision I might make and ask them if they'd be okay with it.

Or, I'd just run away, screaming.

Also, if people are going to be offended I'd expect it to be for things done at the actual wedding itself.

wyevale 12-20-2017 05:41 AM

Possibly Ms Markle could incorporate the 'masks of Comedy and Tragedy' in her Coat of Arms to reflect her career as an actress, as well as something American ?

Cocoasneeze 12-20-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053705)

Oh yes. That will be a moment to look for too. I bet Harry won't be able NOT to look when she walks down the aisle. He had a peek for Kate too, but for his own wife, he'll surely look.

Skippy 12-20-2017 06:42 AM

Well, Harry, if you ever read here (not likely :lol:), here's your manual for what you should do on your wedding day and even before you have seen your bride.
You don't have to think about anything, the groundwork is being laid for you here :biggrin:

Seriously though, I want them to just be Harry and Meghan. Not a copy of behavior we've seen elsewhere (Victoria/Daniel, Frederik/Mary). Inspiration great, but that's it.
And I don't think any of us have to worry about that, we've seen as much so far. :flowers:

Is it May 19th yet??? (No Skippy, it's not) :rofl::rofl:

Mirabel 12-20-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2053723)
Honestly Jessica and Linsday IMO. Yes, Meghan has mentioned support of her niece on social media, but little more. I haven't seen much evidence, other then reporters doing stories, that she is that close to her niece at all. Both Lindsday and Jessica are extremely close friends of hers, basically family.

But they are both married.

Traditionally, bridesmaids were unmarried women, and the BRF mostly sticks to tradition, I believe.

cepe 12-20-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2053794)
But they are both married.

Traditionally, bridesmaids were unmarried women, and the BRF mostly sticks to tradition, I believe.

But Maids of Honour are married women and can be attendants at weddings. Brides can have what they like, royal or otherwise.

Pranter 12-20-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2053772)
Possibly Ms Markle could incorporate the 'masks of Comedy and Tragedy' in her Coat of Arms to reflect her career as an actress, as well as something American ?

I like that idea...it could look quite nice too. Not sure on the 'American' symbol...so many she could go with.

LaRae

jacqui24 12-20-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2053773)
Oh yes. That will be a moment to look for too. I bet Harry won't be able NOT to look when she walks down the aisle. He had a peek for Kate too, but for his own wife, he'll surely look.

Nah, he wonít. Itís different than when he was Williamís supporter, but itíll take everything in him not to look. He seems to generally look for where Meghan is whenever they are in close proximity. But this is tradition. Itíll probably be the longest few seconds of his life though. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 2053808)
I like that idea...it could look quite nice too. Not sure on the 'American' symbol...so many she could go with.

LaRae

She might pick something representative of Toronto as well. She seems like to pay homage to her adopted home.

O-H Anglophile 12-20-2017 08:24 AM

I know she's technically not Royal but Zara had a matron of honor-her best friend Dolly Maude whose son was the pageboy.
I think it would be fine for Meghan too. And you know, the people that would be upset by that--well their opinions probably don't really matter on something like this.

Skippy 12-20-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 2053803)
But Maids of Honour are married women and can be attendants at weddings. Brides can have what they like, royal or otherwise.

I assume that you mean Matrons of Honor, then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053810)
Nah, he wonít. Itís different than when he was Williamís supporter, but itíll take everything in him not to look. He seems to generally look for where Meghan is whenever they are in close proximity. But this is tradition. Itíll probably be the longest few seconds of his life though. :lol:

I agree, it will probably feel like five ages instead of five minutes (just picking a random number of minutes that it will take for Meghan to reach Harry at the altar).

Osipi 12-20-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze (Post 2053773)

I just realized that this is a difference between British royal weddings and the weddings I'm used to attending. At the ones I'm used to, the groom stands at the altar facing the congregation and watches his bride approach him every step of the way. Harry did have to peek at Kate.

ACO 12-20-2017 12:59 PM

Yeah that is very different.. Here in America the groom watches his bride walk down the aisle. I don't know how the grooms handle the first moment seeing her being when turns around but I guess that is another special moment. Ready for it!

Osipi 12-20-2017 01:33 PM

I do think that when that moment comes, they could turn down all the lights to really, really dim and Harry's eyes and his smile will light the room as he first sees his Meghan. I think this moment will be the biggie for me watching the wedding.

Abbigail 12-20-2017 01:37 PM

I think I read somewhere that British grooms not facing the bride was optional, so Harry could watch Meghan walk down the aisle if he wanted? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

I know Meghan and Jessica are close but I can't really see Jessica in the matron of honor role. Lindsay seems more likely to me but I wouldn't be shocked if Meghan has no adult bridesmaids.

wyevale 12-20-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

they could turn down all the lights to really, really dim
Sweet idea, but not possible.. St Georges is FLOODED with natural light, regardless of artificial sources.

TLLK 12-20-2017 01:46 PM

Here is video from Edward and Sophie's 1999 wedding as they depart St. George's Chapel for a ride through Windsor.

It might give us a suggestion as to what Harry and Meghan will do after their ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgGtaSiuSc

Curryong 12-20-2017 01:58 PM

So there were two carriages. I suppose bridesmaids and family were in the second one. I couldn't see, was it Charles as well?

ACO 12-20-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbigail (Post 2053959)
I think I read somewhere that British grooms not facing the bride was optional, so Harry could watch Meghan walk down the aisle if he wanted? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

I know Meghan and Jessica are close but I can't really see Jessica in the matron of honor role. Lindsay seems more likely to me but I wouldn't be shocked if Meghan has no adult bridesmaids.

Meghan was Lindsay's MOH so you probably right. I know she is in the final stages of her pregnancy so she will have some time to recover by then. That is if she even has one but I would imagine she would like that.

TLLK 12-20-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 2053970)
So there were two carriages. I suppose bridesmaids and family were in the second one. I couldn't see, was it Charles as well?

Curryong-While watching the video I believe that I saw Charles and Andrew in the carriage with the young attendants. I didn't see any other family in landaus or carriages for the procession through Windsor. The Queen and DoE returned to the Castle but didn't follow the couple or the attendants including Charles and Andrew. (I'm sure that was his bald spot and he was wearing light grey that day.);)

Here is a second video that shows them in the streets around Windsor. Start at minute 22:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfPzQxyfI88

Alliec76 12-20-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053810)

Actually it really isn't tradition for the groom not to watch his bride walk down the aisle. At least not one the royals stick to. I heard William and Kate really wanted to do it that way because she didn't want him to see her until she got to the alter, and he didn't really want everyone seeing him react to her walking down the aisle. But other royal grooms absolutely have watched their brides walk down the aisle. Edward did when he married Sophie. Andrew did when he married Sarah. I believe Prince Charles did when he married Diana. Just knowing what we do of Harry, I can't imagine he won't want to as well.

Missjersey 12-20-2017 03:16 PM

No matter what he decides, I bet his eyes glisten. I just think they will.

CyrilVladisla 12-20-2017 03:29 PM

Could Meghan's mother and father both walk their daughter down the aisle?

jacqui24 12-20-2017 03:30 PM

The downside of Harry facing the congregation is that we might not get to see the first moment he sees her in his wedding dress as I'm sure the camera would be focused on her as she walks the down the aisle. But I want to see that first moment dammit! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2054010)

That's an interesting thought. Harry did ask for both of their permission.

Osipi 12-20-2017 03:40 PM

I would really love to see that happen. Then when the celebrant asks "Who gives this woman in marriage", Tom and Doria say "We do". Its a possibility as we know that her parents have quite an amicable divorce.

ACO 12-20-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2054012)
That's an interesting thought. Harry did ask for both of their permission.

Or maybe Doria just does it. Now that would be interesting.

Somebody 12-20-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacqui24 (Post 2053491)
I'm not sure how offending the British people comes into play here over rehearsal dinner, as that's all we were talking about. Anyways, I don't think Meghan would really do anything that would go as far as offending the British people as I can't imagine anything small in someone else's wedding should offend people. Plus, this wedding will probably end up exceeding most little girls' dreams about their own wedding. Although, I suppose I should question that judging based on the reaction to the date of the wedding. :lol:

My initial response was based on a British poster who clearly thought that a rehearsal dinner would not be appropriate for a British (royal) wedding.

Nonetheless, I think we are mostly in agreement, just approach it slightly differently. Overall, I don't expect Meghan to be a bridezilla wit a my way or the high way attitude as that would not go well within her new family and country, so any 'wants' (hopefully phrased as wishes or ideas) will surely be considered to make it a wedding that fits the couple, the BRF and is considerate of the British public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaudete (Post 2053607)
Special provision was made for William and Harry to allow them to honour their mother in their COAs. But it isn't usual. I think you're right though, I would assume if they do take any inspiration from American heraldry in Meghan's COA it'll be localised to the state rather than the entire US.

I think it's probably likely that if Meghan does get any honours from the Queen before she's a citizen (given the time frame it would be a little unlikely in my opinion), they'll be recognised here regardless and that's really what counts. Kate hasn't got any honours yet and she's been married for seven years. Given that it takes around 3-5 years to gain citizenship (or at least to begin the process), I don't think there'd be a clash. But anything is possible. HM likes to surprise us sometimes.

Beatrice and Eugenie also have a 'reference' to their mother's CoA's: Beatrice has three bees in the label alludes (1, 3 and 5) and Eugenie has three thistles.

Mirabel 12-20-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2054010)

I always think that looks so awkward and crowded.

Grandma828 12-20-2017 05:18 PM

HM Queen Elizabeth had all adult bridesmaids. I wish Meghan would do that.

Pranter 12-20-2017 05:45 PM

She might have them...she might have a mix of both. Here in the US it is not uncommon to see littles as flower girls/ring bearer and then junior bridesmaids along with adult bridesmaids.

There's really no rule about it.

LaRae

Curbside 12-20-2017 06:04 PM

I had two bridesmaids (actually, two brides-matrons) a junior bridesmaid, and a flower girl. My sister-in-law had something like ten of her sorority sisters and friends for her wedding. I wasn't there, but I can't imagine she didn't have a flower girl or three.

Alliec76 12-20-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2054017)
I would really love to see that happen. Then when the celebrant asks "Who gives this woman in marriage", Tom and Doria say "We do". Its a possibility as we know that her parents have quite an amicable divorce.

Look folks were about to pass out over a possible rehearsal dinner! LOL! This? Would absolutely be the end all be all! But I'd love to see it! LOL!

Zaira 12-20-2017 08:39 PM

Mother and father walking a bride down the aisle is becoming increasingly more common in the US. I absolutely love it and I would be thrilled to bits if Meghan did that.

ilovechristmas123 12-20-2017 08:42 PM

It will certainly be interesting to see whether Harry and Meghan decide to opt for a more modern wedding instead of the usual traditional atmosphere, and how will they go about doing that? Modern dress (for Meghan)? Modern food? The venue is different, that's for sure!

royal rob 12-20-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovechristmas123 (Post 2054132)
It will certainly be interesting to see whether Harry and Meghan decide to opt for a more modern wedding instead of the usual traditional atmosphere, and how will they go about doing that? Modern dress (for Meghan)? Modern food? The venue is different, that's for sure!

I walked down the aisle with my husband to be. No one gave me away because no one owned me it shocked a lot of people. I didnít obey either. This is a long time ago

Grandma828 12-20-2017 10:54 PM

Both the out of date (giving in Marriage) and obey should be abandoned. No one owns a woman. I was married in 1959 and we did not use those terms.

Osipi 12-20-2017 10:56 PM

To look at this a different way, with this actually being Meghan's second marriage, she already "belonged" to someone else (if we're sticking to the "giving away the bride" thing) and has subsequently put an end to that. No one "owns" her now at all to "give her away". However, there is someone that has lived closely with Meghan since the start of her relationship with Harry and perhaps would be the most fitting to walk with her down the aisle. Of course I'm talking about Guy.

Now wouldn't that cause a right royal riot? I can picture it now. Every person that knows how to write would go into overdrive. Even those at the Daily Fail who, in my opinion, do not know how to write. :whistling:

cepe 12-20-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovechristmas123 (Post 2054132)

I think it will be a traditional marriage service, with all the music and choir and beautiful environment. Its what St George's almost demands. And I think the majority watching want that as well.

I think masses of flowers, esp peonies and early roses. The menu is usually in keeping with the times - whatever is good dining now. They might do something different regarding the cake.

Sadly, we wont see the reception and no info leaked from Catherine and Williams.

How she dresses and what her attendants wear will really grab the interest of course.

Countessmeout 12-20-2017 11:01 PM

Obey I agree needs to go. But as feminist as I am, for some reason I always liked the tradition of having a father walk you down the aisle.

If Doria walks her down the aisle, IMO will be with her dad. I don't see her ditching dad all together. She has a close relationship with both of them. But I am not sure we will see them go that modern.

I could see Lindsay as matron of honor. Perhaps as Jessica's daughter is likely to be flower girl, so Jessica would be included as well. I would be surprised if Meghan doesn't have at least one adult. I do think it will mainly be kids, not ditching kids all together, but maid/matron of honor like Kate.

Curbside 12-20-2017 11:03 PM

I didn't give it much thought when I got married, and I know my dad wanted to walk me down the aisle--I was the last daughter to have a wedding.

Maybe Meghan's mom/dad could "present" her. "Who presents this woman for marriage?" has a nice ring to it.

O-H Anglophile 12-20-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2054185)
Obey I agree needs to go. But as feminist as I am, for some reason I always liked the tradition of having a father walk you down the aisle.

A lot of people eliminate "obey."

Nor do they have to include the "who giveth this woman?"

I think a father or parents walking a bride down to aisle to her groom in this way--it is symbolic of the bride is going from being a part of one family to joining her groom in forming a new family. In some traditions the groom's parents walk him down the aisle as well.

jacqui24 12-21-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2054180)
To look at this a different way, with this actually being Meghan's second marriage, she already "belonged" to someone else (if we're sticking to the "giving away the bride" thing) and has subsequently put an end to that. No one "owns" her now at all to "give her away". However, there is someone that has lived closely with Meghan since the start of her relationship with Harry and perhaps would be the most fitting to walk with her down the aisle. Of course I'm talking about Guy.

Now wouldn't that cause a right royal riot? I can picture it now. Every person that knows how to write would go into overdrive. Even those at the Daily Fail who, in my opinion, do not know how to write. :whistling:

Oh, the Queen would so get a kick out of that! :lol:

LadyGlendower 12-21-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2054180)

Osipi wins the internets this evening :rofl:

Pranter 12-21-2017 01:22 AM

So...interesting that Meghan had lace on today. Wonder if we'll see it again.

LaRae

Countessmeout 12-21-2017 01:25 AM

:previous: While lace, not your traditional lace dress certainly. A bit more modern embellishment. Seems still within her style.

Ah.....decaf coffee, and some say a little baileys helps you sleep :biggrin:

evolvingdoors 12-21-2017 06:43 AM

It is traditional in the Jewish religion that the groom parents walk him to the chupah while the bride parents walk her (after the groom is already under it), in some streams within Judaism the mothers will walk the bride while the fathers walk the groom.
But even that is slowly dying as more Jews are become less religious.
Some couples have been entering together, some apart, some walk alone without the parents. It depends on the couple and the nature of the wedding.

Honestly, given that Harry asked her parents permission, which I personally find to be as outdated as obey and giving the bride away (no matter how you name it, it’s one man handing a woman to another man), and would be furious if any man I dated did such a thing. I found it even more odd considering what a huge feminist Meghan is, and well she’s not a child but a grown woman, it’s demeaning and disrespectful- in my personal opinion- to a grown up independent woman as Meghan is.