The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/)
-   -   Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 - February 2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/queen-margrethe-ii-and-prince-henrik-current-events-part-6-july-2017-february-2018-a-42675.html)

iceflower 07-18-2017 06:26 AM

Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 - February 2018

https://i64.tinypic.com/351d6k4.jpg
Welcome to Part 6 of the thread for the current events of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik!

You can find the old thread here:

** Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Muhler 07-19-2017 06:41 AM

PH has been discharged from the hospital and is now back on his feet as you can tell from the photo: Glad prins Henrik er udskrevet: Det går fremad | BILLED-BLADET

The man on the left of the photo is one of the privately employed nursing staff, who are looking after PH.

Osipi 07-19-2017 10:27 AM

Henrik looks in pretty good spirits and its good to see him up and on his feet again. Of course, being greeted by his faithful four legged friend is a sight to behold and would make anyone happy. :biggrin:

Muhler 07-27-2017 02:39 PM

Happy news coming in today!

PH is going to be a grandpapa once more.

His dachshund, Tillia is in happy circumstances and is expected to deliver in the near future.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #30, 2017.
Written by Ken Richter. (Who as usual reports what happens, no more, no less.)

Who stood outside Skejby Hospital when PH was discharged recently.
Also there to receive PH, was the before mentioned Tillia. PH, bend down, a bit strained, in order to pat his dog.

PH was in fact one of the very first patients at the newly build ward for Cardiolgical Surgery. (*)

PH told our reporter: "I'm really well. I've been resting here for five-six days and now I'll continue down to 37 degree C (98 F) of heat. I'm going home to France.
Yes. I'm better. A bit slow, but it's going forward".

During his stay at Skejby (as the hospital is known locally) PH was visited by quite a few friends but also the family.
"It's delighted me that I've been visited by the family. The grandchildren thought it was very amusing to see grandpapa lying in a bed.
I've been treated very well. It's a good hospital which I can recommend, if you need it".

PH left the hospital accompanied by three of his personal medical staff, but it was his driver, whose arm he preferred to lean on.
Outside also waited a hardcore royal fan in the shape of 68 year old, Lene Langaa Graversen, who had been wheeled up from the cancer ward by her sweetheart for 25 years.
PH said: "You (formal You) are seriously ill I can tell. I hope You are not in pain. Do You get a lot of medication"?
She responded: "Yes, I do, but cancer doesn't hurt.
I've just got a haircut in order to look my best, should I meet You".

Afterwards Lene Graversen described PH as "Really sweet" and added: "I'm waiting to have a space at Hospice Søholm in Stavtrup (**) here in Aarhus. I was diagnosed with a malignant cancer in January and have since had 23 blood cloths. We try take things with a good spirit".

(*) Skejby Sygehus/Hospital is still being build and has been under construction since the mid 1980's. The construction is now entering the final phase where the other hospitals in Aarhus are being shut down as the last wards are being transferred to Skejby.

(**) That's a nice place. Located near a lake, where she can be taken in her final time.

And here is this weeks issue of BB.

Caution!
BB has an article about QMII's raincoats. I must urge sensitive people to avoid these scans!
BB #30, 2017

ROYAL NORWAY 07-27-2017 02:57 PM

:previous: When I saw the bold line in your post, then I actually thought he was going to be a grandfather again.

camelot23ca 07-27-2017 03:06 PM

I'm glad Henrik is doing well. As much as I've disagreed with some of his behaviour and antics over the years I appreciate that he's a strong, interesting character. He and Queen Margrethe both seem a little quirky and eccentric and they don't try to hide that, which I love.

Muhler 07-27-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 2006083)
:previous: When I saw the bold line in your post, then I actually thought he was going to be a grandfather again.

:biggrin: Couldn't resist.

:previous: Agree, Camelot23ca. And there is nothing wrong with his people skills.

----------------

PH's remark "Going home to France", has been noted.
Especially in the context of ongoing speculations as to whether PH and QMII have de facto separated.
Here is a BT article: Kongehusekspert om prins Henriks mystiske udmelding: Derfor vil han 'hjem til Frankrig' | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

Where they have asked royal expert Sebastian Olden-Jørgensen for a comment.
He says: "Even though it may seem a bit noticiable that he calls France -home- after having spend a lifetime in Denmark, I think you should interpret it emotionally. The Prince grew up in South-East Asia and has actually not lived in France for that many years, but it is his homeland and especially now, where he has just been committed France may be just what he needs in order to feel at home".

Sebastian Olden-Jørgensen will not speculate as to whether there really is a separation between the Regent Couple, nor will he speculate as to whether PH goes to Chateau Cayz more often now that beforehand.
"But if he is, it's not abnormal, since he been loosened from his official obligations. It would also be odd if he sat somewhere in town, while the Queen carried out herofficial duties. Then he might just as well be at Chateau de Cayz".

gerry 07-27-2017 10:42 PM

Thank you for the warning Muhler but I was happy to see the scans! Mange tak! p.s. the Prince's driver seemed to have a red badge of some sort around his arm at the hospital in Aarhus. I wonder whether this was some sort of Prince Henrik alarm?:lol:

Osipi 07-27-2017 10:49 PM

There is something quite endearing to me when a person considers his best friend furbabies as "grandchildren". I love it. The dog was the first thing I noticed in the photo with Henrik leaving the hospital and how important it probably was for Henrik to see his best friend as soon as possible.

Anyone that has such a soft spot in their heart for their fur babies is A-OK in my book.

iceflower 08-03-2017 03:35 PM

In order to keep this thread for current events, an extra thread about Prince Henrik's decision has been created and all posts from today have been moved to it:

** Prince Henrik and his plans for his final resting place **

iceflower 08-06-2017 08:22 AM

Queen Margrethe officially opened the '18th Viking Congress' at the National Museum in Copenhagen today, August 6:

** kongehuset.dk fb gallery **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe smilede på helt særlig dag ** translation **

Bine221 08-06-2017 10:13 AM

A brave smile!!!
BYe Bine

LibrarianDaisy 08-06-2017 02:23 PM

Queen Margrethe's speech at the opening of today's Viking Congress :flowers:

Her Majesty The Queen’s speech at the opening of the 18th Viking Congress The National Museum of Denmark on 6 August 2017 | Kongehuset

Blog Real 08-09-2017 06:52 AM

Queen Margrethe alone on the market
Imens Danmark er på den anden ende: Tavs Margrethe alene på marked | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

wyevale 08-09-2017 07:44 AM

''Grace, under pressure'....

Muhler 08-14-2017 06:48 AM

The court has confirmed that PH Sunday evening was committed to Rigshospitalet, due to pains after his recent procedure.
Prins Henrik er indlagt på Rigshospitalet - TV 2

"Prince Henrik has after his procedure in mid July had increasing pains in his right leg. As such he was committed to Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen Sunday evening.
The Prince is undergoing medical treatment and no further surgical procedures are expected at present. It is as yet unknown how long the Prince will be committed at Rigshospitalet".

- I have several thoughts on that, a couple of them, I must confess, are pretty cynical.

LibrarianDaisy 08-14-2017 06:59 AM

Interesting that it says the Queen is still in France......

tommy100 08-14-2017 07:29 AM

Probably glad of a rest away from him

SLV 08-14-2017 07:39 AM

Poor man. I hope he gets better soon. Might improve his mood. 😉

melina premiere 08-14-2017 07:43 AM

I hope he will recover very fast .

LibrarianDaisy 08-14-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2010144)
Probably glad of a rest away from him

You're probably right :lol:

Osipi 08-14-2017 11:32 AM

If I'm remembering right, Henrik is a diabetic and from experiences with my father, I know that foot and leg problems arise easily and cause havoc with circulation and there's always the threat of blood clots that travel.

He's in the best place he can be if he's having recurrent problems after the procedure he just recently had. He'll be monitored closely and they'll know what is needed to get him back on track to being his old ornery self once again.

I'm sure that Margrethe is in contact with him but being there physically at the hospital at this time would be fodder for the media to go wild with speculation. Regardless of what happens between a couple in their private lives, when illness and hospitalization happens, concern trumps ill feelings as compassion for the other takes precedence.

I hope he's back on his feet (literally) soon.

CrownPrincessJava 08-14-2017 10:46 PM

Why was Prince Henrik admitted in a hospital in Copenhagen, if he was in France? :ermm:

Another report from the 14th August: BREAKING NEWS: Prince Henrik admitted to hospital – Royal Central

Osipi 08-14-2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava (Post 2010263)
Why was Prince Henrik admitted in a hospital in Copenhagen, if he was in France? :ermm:

Another report from the 14th August: BREAKING NEWS: Prince Henrik admitted to hospital – Royal Central

I would imagine it is because that is where his personal physician is. If he just had a procedure done and has trouble afterwards, it helps to see the same doctors that treated him beforehand as they're more attuned to Henrik's health.

That's my guess anyways. :biggrin:

CrownPrincessJava 08-14-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2010265)
I would imagine it is because that is where his personal physician is. If he just had a procedure done and has trouble afterwards, it helps to see the same doctors that treated him beforehand as they're more attuned to Henrik's health.

Unless it wasn't serious that he could fly back from Cahors to Copenhagen in a day or he was back in Copenhagen and QMII preferred to stay at Caix.

My guess is as good as any :flowers:

Muhler 08-15-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 2010265)

That is not the case. PH was committed at Skejby Hospital in Aarhus when he underwent his procedure.
He is at Rigshospitalet in order to undergo pain-relieving treatment.

- I'm pretty certain most other patients but PH had not committed for such a trivial matter. They would have been send home and told to do some excersize, as they would have been advised to do anyway after the procedure. And then return for a check-up a few times.

(..)
Certainly his condition isn't serious enough for QMII to cut short her vacation and follow her husband home, which IMO would be a normal thing to do. I sure would had it been my wife and it was only the two of us on vacation.
But then I can be a terribly cynical.

Osipi 08-15-2017 01:01 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, Muhler. Your explanation makes much more sense than mine did. :biggrin:

I would imagine too that a whole lot of people are being cynical about this also as Henrik has shown himself to be a pouty, temperamental and obstinate kind of an individual. Things don't go his way and he's going to do something to demand more attention.

Whomever guessed that the two of them wouldn't be together for long at Caix were right. We'll never really know but the logical guess would be that the crapola has hit the fan and Henrik needed a big out.

iceflower 08-15-2017 06:49 AM

Speculative comments have been removed. Thanks for your understanding!

maria-olivia 08-15-2017 11:50 AM

I don't know if the Prince may Fly with the legs deseases he has ?

Thena 08-15-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 2010379)
I don't know if the Prince may Fly with the legs deseases he has ?

:previous:A long flight in cramped economy seating wouldn't be advisable to the risk of blood clots, but my guess is that he was on a medical evacuation flight. They would have been prepared for a problem and ready to deal with it en route to the hospital.

tommy100 08-15-2017 03:56 PM

Does the Queen travel on Danish military jets? It would not surprise me if one is on standby (if even still in Denmark just on standby to fly to France for a pick up) ready to bring the Queen back to Denmark in an emergency?

CrownPrincessJava 08-15-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2010402)
Does the Queen travel on Danish military jets? It would not surprise me if one is on standby (if even still in Denmark just on standby to fly to France for a pick up) ready to bring the Queen back to Denmark in an emergency?

I think the DRF own, or may rent/borrow, a private jet. If I recall correctly, the Crown Prince family flew using the private jet when they visited Australia a few years ago.

Muhler 08-16-2017 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 2010402)

She does (and so does members of the government), aboard a Challenger, which also doubles as a VIP transport. So if QMII were to be rushed back to DK a jet would pick her up, or alternatively someone would be kicked off a commercial flight to make room for her.

It does happen that they borrow a jet from one of the more affluent DK families.

tommy100 08-16-2017 04:26 PM

Maybe Henrik travlled by such a jet, if so it would make it so easy if he felt unwell to simply fly straight back to denmark

maria-olivia 08-16-2017 06:35 PM

To me the Prince left Denmark to quickly after his first operation !

Katrianna 08-17-2017 12:29 AM

:previous:

The amount of time Henrik spent in hospital after his angioplasties was about the same amount of time most patients spend after such a procedure. Cardiac angioplasty patients spend about 2-3 days in hospital and are dismissed to home if no complications arise after the procedure. A flight from Denmark to France isn't too long, not as if from Denmark to another Continent. I'm sure Henrik got the clearance from his physicians to travel, if they felt he shouldn't have flown, they would have told him not to travel.
We don't know, but there may be private duty nurses or attendants that are in France and may have traveled with him.

Muhler 08-17-2017 12:37 AM

:previous: There are three healthcare workers employed to look after PH. Presumably at least one of them accompanied him back to DK.

Muhler 08-18-2017 08:29 AM

PH will remain at hospital for some more days, while undergoing a number of additional tests: Prins Henrik fortsat indlagt - ved ikke hvornår han kan udskrives - TV 2

It is not known when he will be discharged, that's up to the doctors.

While in hospital PH has been visited by Frederik and Joachim.

maria-olivia 08-18-2017 09:23 AM

Why is the Queen in France ?

Muhler 08-18-2017 09:42 AM

On holiday...?

Perhaps the - tests - will be easier to conduct if she isn't around...?

Seriously, if PH is tested for Alzheimer or dementia, it might be better if QMII isn't around to excite him?
And the doctors might find it easier to persuade him to go through the tests.

maria-olivia 08-18-2017 11:35 AM

Or She is looking for a place to stay in France ?

Archduchess Zelia 08-19-2017 12:18 AM

If QMII hurried home to be by his side it would imply that it's something serious which I doubt it is.

Muhler 08-21-2017 12:42 AM

Førende hjertelæge om at prins Henrik fortsat er indlagt: 'Det er bekymrende' | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk

PH is still committed to hospital and the papers have begun to notice the extraordinary long time he has been committed. But there are no news from the court. Nor any hint as to when PH is going to leave the hospital.

BT in the article posted here has asked a cardiologist who describes the length PH has been committed as worrying.
For such a routine thing he should have left the hospital by now.

- I cannot help wondering whether PH are undergoing other tests while at the hospital. I.e. tests to ascertain whether he has dementia, Alzheimer or something similar.
It would make sense to commit him, due to "complications" after a routine procedure, rather than publishing that PH is getting his head examined.

Osipi 08-21-2017 01:01 AM

It could be any number of things. If Henrik is diabetic, with the procedure he had, perhaps its been taking a while to get the medications prescribed to work on an even keel with his system. Often times diabetes and medications act weird on a body.

Whatever it is, its obvious that its not knowledge for public consumption at this time. I know in the UK that Buckingham Palace will not address any medical issues by the Royal Family and its considered a private thing. A statement that Philip (or whomever) has been admitted to the hospital may be issued but other than that, we're not given specifics.

If Henrik is having medical problems, the hospital is the best place for him right now. It also keeps him away from the press. ;)

Muhler 08-22-2017 07:11 AM

PH has today been discharged from the hospital after having been committed for ten years.
The court says he's fine, but need rest.

Ten days is an awful lot of time, even at his age.

ADDED:

The court informs that he will not return to France but instead take up residence at Fredensborg.
The doctors have deemed him to weak to travel (to France) and they'd to keep him close at hand for further observation.

QMII is expected back in DK on the 24th, then she will change her residence to Dannebrog for the second leg of the summer cruise.

rominet09 08-22-2017 07:22 AM

I think all this shows perfectly the state of the couple and the marriage unfortunately

polyesco 08-22-2017 11:27 AM

That is good to hear that he is out of the Hospital.
H.K.H. Prins Henrik udskrevet | Kongehuset

I think staying in one place and not traveling so soon will do him well. I think he might have rushed out to travel quickly the last time he left the hospital.

Nordic 08-22-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2011734)
QMII is expected back in DK on the 24th, then she will change her residence to Dannebrog for the second leg of the summer cruise.

The summer cruise starts on the 30th. She could have changed residence to Fredensborg instead for almost a week to be near her husband now that he is out of hospital.
If she wanted to...;)

SLV 08-22-2017 03:57 PM

I am glad to hear that he is out of the hospital.

maria-olivia 08-22-2017 04:28 PM

10 days hospitalisation without any Visit of the Queen ,his wife is sad.

MARG 08-22-2017 06:16 PM

:previous: It seems that QM won't be seeing him until after the Dannebrog summer cruise.

This may sound cold or harsh but, when you remember how totally enraged Henrik was about QM supposedly withholding the title "King Consort", one can only surmise that her arrival in France was less than a happy event. If that is the case then the presence of QM would not help his recovery and could even worsen his condition.

Conversely, after weeks of public humiliation who could blame QM if she is less than thrilled at the prospect of spending her holiday time with Henrik continually ranting at her or the family.

Sadly, whichever way you look at the situation it seems this last tantrum may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. QM may have come to the conclusion that there is no way their marriage can survive except as a shell with both of them living totally separate lives.

Osipi 08-22-2017 06:34 PM

Sometimes the worse thing a parent can do with a child throwing a temper tantrum is pay more attention to the child throwing it. The child needs to stew in its own juice to realize that tantrums solve nothing. This is also true of adults that demand their own way in things sometimes. I figure QM knows this very well and as her schedule for the summer has pretty much been drawn up, she's sticking to it.

As human beings, I'd like to think that right now with Henrik and Margrethe, they're having a period of "I love you but I really don't like you too much right now" days. Not being together all the time, at this stage in their marriage, isn't really a sign of discord but rather that they're comfortable going about and doing their own thing. Henrik needs rest to recover and being with Margrethe could exacerbate the issue between them and frankly, Henrik needs to stew in his own juices and think about things and Margrethe's absence enforces her stance that she's not going to play into him. Margrethe has her own agenda to follow as Queen and she's not about to ignore that for the sake of a temper tantrum.

It works out best this way all the way around IMO. :biggrin:

camelot23ca 08-22-2017 06:36 PM

It's hard to even guess at the details of someone else's relationship but the current situation does seem pretty sad. It reminds me of a quote from Robin Williams where he said something like the worst thing in life isn't ending up alone, it's ending up with people who make you feel like you're alone.

On the official side of things I think the damage has been done, unfortunately, but on a personal level I hope both Margrethe and Henrik can move on in a way that brings them both some peace and contentment.

Duke of Marmalade 08-23-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rominet09 (Post 2011735)
I think all this shows perfectly the state of the couple and the marriage unfortunately

Exactly.
It seems QM wanted to do her holidays in France and Henrik's presence didnt really matter. And I doubt she discussed THAT TOPIC again with him at all, for the 42.458th time.

alicia 08-23-2017 05:38 AM

Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 -

Since PH's retirement, he has led an unbelievable life, travelling, time with friends, no responsibilities, only returning to Denmark intermittently. On the other hand, QM has kept working, no matter how tired she might have been, or how troubled about her husband. Always with a smile on her face. I feel she is entitled to her two weeks holiday in France in peace. I hope she has been able to have that. PH is well looked after, and seemingly only wants her near if she will give him the title he demands. She's clearly had enough of that nonsense.

tommy100 08-23-2017 06:05 AM

I don't blame HM for not changing her holiday plans to rush off to see Henrik, IMO she is within her rights to want some time away from him now. Bear in mind she did go to France to visit him and he then travelled back to Denmark to go to hospital - i.e. she stuck to her plans while he changed his (possibly with good reason).

I think we have to remember that for couples of a certain age and certain social class often feel comfortable enough spending time away from each other. Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip often do - she started her Balmoral holiday while he was staying at Sandringham. I don't think it necessarily means much and is just the routine that helps keep things together after so long. That being said, Henrik's recent "outburts" make it appear they are deliberately avoiding each other.

Muhler 08-24-2017 01:27 PM

Dronning Margrethe flytter ind på Dannebrog | BILLED-BLADET

BB, or rather the court, offer an explanation for QMII setting up residence aboard Dannebrog, rather than at Fredensborg, when she returns to DK today. - Something that made me wonder as well...

The reason is that Dannebrog will sail for Aarhus, so that QMII can take up residence there for the opening of the annual Cultural Week.
It's too much trouble to open up Marselisborg just for one night the court says. So instead she'll stay aboard Dannebrog and then sail for Bornholm for the second part of the summer cruise.

- It does sound like a rational use of the ship. On the other hand Frederik and other members of the DRF usually use the Cavallier Building, which is located on the grounds, when they stay the night in Aarhus.
I think it will be interesting to see where QMII will take up residence when she returns from the summer cruise next week.
Usually she loves being at Fredensborg during the summer months.
And it will be equally interesting to see whether PH will remain at Fredensborg when QMII finally returns there.

tommy100 08-24-2017 02:52 PM

Or will the King, sorry Prince, be well enough to return to France just before the Queen takes up residence in Fredensborg?

Muhler 08-24-2017 03:37 PM

That'll be up to the doctors I suppose.
Another question is whether he will be... well enough... to be joined by his wife.
It sure will be odd if QMII only stay for a couple of days at Fredensborg or PH darts off within a couple of days of QMII arriving.
If that happens you'll have to be pretty optimistic not to interpret that as a de facto separation, IMO.

Nordic 08-24-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2012154)
Dronning Margrethe flytter ind på Dannebrog | BILLED-BLADET

BB, or rather the court, offer an explanation for QMII setting up residence aboard Dannebrog, rather than at Fredensborg, when she returns to DK today. - Something that made me wonder as well...

The reason is that Dannebrog will sail for Aarhus, so that QMII can take up residence there for the opening of the annual Cultural Week.
It's too much trouble to open up Marselisborg just for one night the court says. So instead she'll stay aboard Dannebrog and then sail for Bornholm for the second part of the summer cruise.

Not a very good explanation, is it....QM's event in Aarhus is tomorrow evening. Previous years, she has been perfectly capable of travelling there from Fredensborg or Copenhagen. After Aarhus, she has two official events in Copenhagen before Bornholm.

I am going to predict that PH will be well enough to travel to France (or somewhere else) when/just before she returns from Bornholm.

iceflower 08-25-2017 10:44 AM

Posts that had no longer anything to do with the couple's current events have been moved to the following thread:

** Prince Henrik and his plans for his final resting place **

eya 08-25-2017 02:54 PM

This evening, the Queen participates in the opening of this year's festival week at Aarhus Theater, and the theme for this year's festival week is Bridging.

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskeko...41713366167249

LibrarianDaisy 08-25-2017 03:33 PM

She's looking fine - the French sunshine has done her good.

iceflower 08-25-2017 04:12 PM

Here are some more photos and a video of the opening today:

** kendte.dk gallery ** stiften.dk gallery ** stiften.dk video **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39J3ctPuQA8

LibrarianDaisy 08-28-2017 06:23 AM

Yesterday, 27th August, the Queen attended the service at Frederiksborg Castle Church commemorating it's 400th anniversary. There was a reception afterwards. I should imagine it was after this that she called into Fredensborg to see Prince Henrik (and the puppies) and that lovely photo was taken with the 4 grandchildren.
Festgudstjeneste i Frederiksborg Slotskirke | Kongehuset

Smilende dronning Margrethe til formiddagsfest | BILLED-BLADET

M. Payton 08-29-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy (Post 2012840)
Yesterday, 27th August, the Queen attended the service at Frederiksborg Castle Church commemorating it's 400th anniversary. There was a reception afterwards. I should imagine it was after this that she called into Fredensborg to see Prince Henrik (and the puppies) and that lovely photo was taken with the 4 grandchildren.
Festgudstjeneste i Frederiksborg Slotskirke | Kongehuset

Smilende dronning Margrethe til formiddagsfest | BILLED-BLADET

Just look at the people around QM, they are standing there with their cameras or cell phones and you can see how deeply and well loved she is. The smiles on the people show just how they feel about their queen and lady. And QM seems to be in her glory also for she loves going out and meeting the people as it shows. How I wish I was there to see her.....

Muhler 08-29-2017 02:00 PM

And today QMII inaugurated a new memorial for Danish seamen during WWII.
They sailed with the convoys from April 1940 and up to couple of years after the war, also in the Pacific. - And quite a few didn't make it home...

As such they trickled home after the war and did not get the recognition by especially the politicians, they deserved. In the wake after the defeat of Nazism, many politicians had problems distancing themselves from the Danish policy during the war, so when the general euphoria had gone down, the less said about the war, the better.
So while the Jews and Resistance fighters got a lot of accolades by the politicians (who may in some cases justifiably have feared ending up in front of a wall) many other groups didn't.
They included seamen sailing for the Allies, some who had fought in regular Allied units, those who had fought Fascism in Spain and those who had been murdered by criminals during the last few months of the war, and labeled "informants" or "collaborators". The last group never got official vindication, so while being totally innocent, their widows were officially married to a "collaborator" or an "informant" - you can imagine how people looked at them in the years after the war.

- That of course doesn't just apply to Denmark, but practically all countries occupied during WWII. And it's a wound that to this day still hasn't healed.

But it's about time the sailors got a new monument! The old was a disgrace! Either you maintain a monument or pull it down, to neglect it is an affront!

I worked with a former 1st officer many years ago, who started sailing in the early 50's. Many of those he sailed with had been sailing in the convoys. And he described how most of them never closed the door to their cabins, when they went to sleep. Because if a torpedo or a mine struck the ship the hulk would twist, and they wouldn't be able to get out.
And many simply couldn't help looking for periscopes or the telltale wake of a torpedo on the run.

LibrarianDaisy 08-29-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Payton (Post 2013189)
Just look at the people around QM, they are standing there with their cameras or cell phones and you can see how deeply and well loved she is. The smiles on the people show just how they feel about their queen and lady. And QM seems to be in her glory also for she loves going out and meeting the people as it shows. How I wish I was there to see her.....

I felt exactly the same - everyone looked so happy around her :smile:

I'm glad a new memorial has been dedicated and thank you for filling in the background Muhler. My Grandfather served in the Navy during WWII and spent most of it up in Scarpa Flow. He would never speak of his experience though.

polyesco 08-29-2017 02:20 PM

:previous: Always thankful for the great history lessons :flowers:
pictures from today
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskeko...43429379328981

iceflower 09-02-2017 09:25 AM

Queen Margrethe attended the celebration of the 850th anniversary of Copenhagen at Copenhagen's City Hall today, September 2:

** fb gallery **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe: De tovlige kjøwenhavnere er ganske seje ** translation **

Muhler 09-02-2017 06:40 PM

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

The quote from QMII's speech at the university deserves a translation. It's very QMII, and grandma who has picked up expressions from the younger members of the family. They occur sometimes and in that respect she reminds me of my in-laws who also pick up expressions from their grandchildren, i.e. my children.

In the speech she express her fondness for the city in which she lives most of the time and has grown up in. All this being on the occasion of the official 825 anniversary of Copenhagen. (*)
She said: "It's odd to think that I wasn't present at the 800th anniversary, because back then I was on my honeymoon".

She compared the Copenhageners with the tough roses who grow and bloom between the cobbled stones. Beautiful, but also prickly and tough and they cope!
"That says a lot about Copenhagen and the Copenhageners. Them loony C'phageners are pretty cool. (**)
Copenhagen is the capital and the place I myself live a great part of my life".

(*) Copenhagen is actually older, but before it was officially founded by Bishop Absalon it was merely a fishing village. Or rather a number of fishing villages. So officially Copenhagen is a fairly young city in Danish context. Most other major towns and cities are at least 1.000 years old. - But before 750 or so, there were literally no towns to speak of in DK or the rest of Scandinavia for that matter.

(**) Actually she speak Jutlandic dialect here, but I've taken a few liberties since I don't know how to translate into an internationally understandable English dialect.

iceflower 09-10-2017 09:21 AM

Queen Margrethe as Patron was present at the celebration of the 225th anniversary of the Classical Fideicommis in Nykøbing today, September 10:

** BB: Dronning Margrethe passer sine pligter ** translation **

And in the afternoon she attended an episcopal consecration at Maribo Cathedral:

** Pic ** tveast gallery: Se billederne: Dronningen er gæst til dagens bispevielse **

** kongehuset.dk: VIDEO: Bispevielse i Maribo Domkirke **

iceflower 09-13-2017 11:50 AM

Queen Margrethe attended the farewell parade on the Dannebrog in Copenhagen today, September 13. The event marks the end of this year's sailing season.
Tonight Queen Margrethe will also host a dinner for the ships officers.

** gettyimages gallery ** kongehuset.dk fb video **

iceflower 09-15-2017 01:34 PM

Queen Margrethe opened the National Museum's special exhibition 'Behind the Governor's Mirrors' at Christiansborg Castle this afternoon, September 15:

** kongehuset.dk fb gallery **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe fik en helt særlig oplevelse i Peter von Scholtens balsal ** translation **

Muhler 09-15-2017 01:57 PM

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

The premises behind the exhibition is partly the emancipation of slaves in the Danish West Indies, which were initiated (and actually without political OK back in Copenhagen) by the governor Peter von Scholten. He on the other hand was very much influenced by his black mistress and former slave... Who may actually by honored to the same degree. I can't even remember her name off hand, but that's how history goes.

The other occasion for the exhibition is that the islands of Skt Thomas, Skt. Croix and Skt Jan were sold to USA in 1917, where they are now knows as the Virgin Islands. - The locals were not heard, let alone asked whether they wanted to be Americans.
By that sale the last Danish tropical colony was left.

The islands were never a real goldmine for Denmark, except as a hub for slave transports in the 1700's. Most of the plantations were owned by foreigners or foreign companies.
By the early 1800's slavery had long since been outlawed in Denmark, but it was still legal in some colonies, but no one really wanted to know about it and fewer wanted to talk about it. It was a classical question of out of sight, out of mind. So when the governor Peter von Scholten decided to abolish slavery (as the first colony in the Caribbeans IIRC) the public and politicians back in Denmark took that ad notam. There was neither the political will nor public support in opposing that, even though the governor was actually performing a de facto local political coup.
That meant that the tax revenue from the islands fell even more and by 1917, the islands were basically a forgotten colonial backwater. So when USA came up with an offer "Denmark couldn't refuse" it was accepted.
DK, not being involved in WWI, had no interest in antagonizing USA and having the trade disrupted and USA might get the idea of "occupying the islands for protection", because USA at the time pursued a policy of exerting its influence directly and indirectly as much as possible in the Americas, as a direct consequence of the Monroe Doctrine.

So in 1917 Dannebrog was lowered and Stars and Stripes went to the top instead. - The anniversary was attended by Danish politicians but not the DRF. Because no one in DK cares and there is the question of an official apology for the period of slavery (followed by a suit of compensation) for which there is no political will to offer in DK.

So it has all been boiled down to an exhibition. :biggrin:

gerry 09-15-2017 10:10 PM

Such an elegant solution to an extremely difficult problem, Muhler! Surely it is not that easy....there will be talk among the chattering classes, I am sure!:bang:

Muhler 09-16-2017 04:43 AM

:previous: Those with the right opinions always have the right solutions... :innocent:
That the bill is usually footed by everybody else is besides the point... :ermm:

iceflower 09-16-2017 08:10 AM

Yesterday evening, September 15, Queen Margrethe attended the celebration of the Court Theatre's 250th anniversary at the Theatre Museum in Copenhagen:

** BB: Dronning Margrethe: Dejlig afslutning på travl dag ** translation **

gerry 09-16-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2019145)
:previous: Those with the right opinions always have the right solutions... :innocent:
That the bill is usually footed by everybody else is besides the point... :ermm:

plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose:previous:

Muhler 09-19-2017 01:15 PM

Today a new sculpture by PH was unveiled in Aarhus harbor: Om prins Henriks skulptur på havnen: Den har nogle sjove afrundinger - Lokalavisen Aarhus

I imagine it was the intention PH himself were to unveil it, but as you know...

I like PH's sculptures and I'll be certain to see it the next time I come to that part of Aarhus.

polyesco 09-22-2017 11:16 AM

The Queen will be visiting Rome from October 26-29, 2017
HM The Queen to visit Rome | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

"The celebration of the 50th anniversary of The Danish Institute’s building in Rome and archaeological excavations at the ancient Forum Romanum are on the programme when Her Majesty The Queen visits Rome 26-29 October."

I think the Queen will be very excited about this trip!

LibrarianDaisy 09-22-2017 01:55 PM

Tomorrow (Sat 23rd Sept) Queen Margrethe will be in the UK in Canterbury in her capacity as Colonel in Chief of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. She will be presenting new colours to the regiment and the British army's facebook page will be having live coverage of the ceremony from 11.40am British Summer Time www.facebook.com/britisharmy/

I meant to post this video ages ago from when the Queen visited one of the battalions in Germany in 2014 - it shows how valued such visits are by the soldiers: Queen of Denmark Visits 1st Battalion in Germany

I'm assuming tomorrow is just a flying visit as no one is listed as being regent or rigsforstander in Denmark.

LibrarianDaisy 09-23-2017 06:41 AM

Well, sadly the Queen is not there - she is represented by the Danish ambassador to the UK now. I hope she is ok as she was certainly down as attending on their facebook page yesterday as well as the Royal website yesterday. It is no longer on the royal website either.

Muhler 09-23-2017 09:38 AM

:previous: She's usually always attend such regimental events. - Could be all sorts of reasons for not attending:
A cold.
Back problems.
PH having a bad day.

I think we expect more cancellations like these.

Nordic 09-23-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2020979)
:previous: She's usually always attend such regimental events. - Could be all sorts of reasons for not attending:
A cold.
Back problems.
PH having a bad day.

I think we expect more cancellations like these.

I really can't see QM cancelling something like this to tend to PH on a possible bad day...He does have medical personnel for that.

Perhaps it's the back problems or she is ill.

Curryong 09-23-2017 10:10 AM

Poor Queen Daisy, I hope she's not ill or in pain from her back. Perhaps we'll hear in due cause.

Mbruno 09-23-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy (Post 2020959)
Well, sadly the Queen is not there - she is represented by the Danish ambassador to the UK now. I hope she is ok as she was certainly down as attending on their facebook page yesterday as well as the Royal website yesterday. It is no longer on the royal website either.

Quite a disappointment for the regiment, who have been let down. I'm sure the Queen had a plausible reason to cancel the engagement though.

LibrarianDaisy 09-23-2017 12:02 PM

I'm sure it will be a good reason as I've never known her cancel a regimental event before. It is something she is very diligent about. I had been in half a mind about going down to Canterbury to wave a danish flag at her. Just as well I decided it was just too much of a trek.

Blog Real 09-23-2017 02:45 PM

For the Queen not to go to the event is because it is for reasons of force majeure. I really believe she's sick.
Is it time to pass the throne to the son?

Muhler 09-23-2017 02:46 PM

It's official. QMII is ill. - Not seriously ill though, the court informs.

- But obviously so ill she can't drag herself out of bed, otherwise she'd been there, as this regimental event only takes place every 25 years.

Syg dronning Margrethe trak sig i sidste øjeblik fra stor parade i England - International

https://www.bt.dk/danmark/dronning-m...pe-arrangement

Apart from QMII being the (honorary) colonel-in-chief the regiment, the Buffs as it was called before it was amalgamated with other regiments, was also a regiment where quite a few Danes served during WWII.

The cancellation was announced Saturday morning, so she tried to make it, it seems.

Muhler 09-25-2017 09:17 AM

https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-ma...er-blevet-rask

The court informs that QMII is well again.

"The Queen is well again. It wasn't anything serious".

iceflower 09-27-2017 06:17 AM

This morning, September 27, Queen Margrethe received the Prime Minister of Germany's federal state Schleswig-Holstein Daniel Günther and Estonia's President Kersti Kaljulaid at Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Muhler 09-27-2017 10:32 AM

They are seriously tall people! Anyone who dwarf QMII is tall!

polyesco 09-27-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower (Post 2022179)

This morning, September 27, Queen Margrethe received the Prime Minister of Germany's federal state Schleswig-Holstein Daniel Günther and Estonia's President Kersti Kaljulaid at Christian IX's Palace, Amalienborg:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

one more with the Primer Minister and Minister of Culture
https://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/f...?itok=jFZnZFhc

and President and Minister of Culture
https://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/hm-d...nds-praesident

eya 09-29-2017 03:31 PM

The Queen received new ambassadors from Nepal, the Czech Republic, Pakistan, Armenia and Luxembourg today at Fredensborg Castle.

Ambassadørmodtagelse på Fredensborg Slot | Kongehuset

iceflower 09-30-2017 04:24 PM

:previous:

The Palace also shared a nice video of the reception:

** kongehuset.dk video **

Muhler 10-09-2017 09:44 AM

Now, I need a little help from English speakers. Preferably English speakers who were around in the mid to late 50's.

Dronning Margrethe elsker denne danske film: Den er "dødskæg" | BILLED-BLADET

Here is a delightful photo of QMII from an interview back in 2010, where she told about her TV-habits.
Actually QMII likes to put on a DVD with Danish light comedies. One of them is considered a classic in maritime circles. It's titled Martha and must be from the early 1960's. It's about a life and let life crew aboard an old rusty, coaster sailing in Greek waters, on what is basically one perpetual pleasure cruise. - The movie is a must aboard merchant ships, but also navy ships, including Dannebrog.

When this photo was taken, QMII remarks about the movie: "Den er dødskæg"! = "It's dead-fun". An older slang for something hilarious.
But it doesn't ring in English... :ermm:
So perhaps someone can remember a piece of English/American slang from the 50's about something that's hilarious? :smile:

iceflower 10-09-2017 09:45 AM

Queen Margrethe inaugurated the permanent medieval exhibition at the Moesgaard Museum in Højbjerg today, October 9:

** kongehuset.dk gallery: H.M. Dronningen åbnede middelalderudstilling på Moesgaard Museum **

** tv2ostjylland.dk: VIDEO: Dronningen åbner middelalder-udstilling ** translation **

** BB: Veloplagt dronning Margrethe tog tilbage til middelalderen ** translation **

Muhler 10-09-2017 10:31 AM

QMII is a frequent visitor to Moesgaard Museum. - And it really is worth a visit!

The last time I went there I noticed scratches on the floor. An employee told me it was nail-marks from the last time they had to drag QMII away from an exhibition. :tongue:

Here are a few pics more: https://aarhus.lokalavisen.dk/dronnin...kler/171009501

LibrarianDaisy 10-09-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 2025952)
Now, I need a little help from English speakers. Preferably English speakers who were around in the mid to late 50's.

Dronning Margrethe elsker denne danske film: Den er "dødskæg" | BILLED-BLADET

Here is a delightful photo of QMII from an interview back in 2010, where she told about her TV-habits.
Actually QMII likes to put on a DVD with Danish light comedies. One of them is considered a classic in maritime circles. It's titled Martha and must be from the early 1960's. It's about a life and let life crew aboard an old rusty, coaster sailing in Greek waters, on what is basically one perpetual pleasure cruise. - The movie is a must aboard merchant ships, but also navy ships, including Dannebrog.

When this photo was taken, QMII remarks about the movie: "Den er dødskæg"! = "It's dead-fun". An older slang for something hilarious.
But it doesn't ring in English... :ermm:
So perhaps someone can remember a piece of English/American slang from the 50's about something that's hilarious? :smile:

'Dead funny' is a phrase that is still used in the UK but whether it was around in the 50s I don't know as I was born at the end of that decade.