The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Emotional Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/emotional-royals-4231.html)

bct88 12-02-2004 07:38 PM

Emotional Royals
 
Since the sad news of the passing of H.R.H. Prince Bernhard and the upcoming funeral, I was wondering, have any royals (it does not matter what country) 'showed emotion' at a public event such as a funeral? I know that Queen Beatrix showed quite a lot of emotion at Prince Claus' funeral, and equally as much at Queen Juliana's funeral. When I say 'showed emotion', I mean crying in particular. It does not seem 'proper' for a member of a royal family to do such a thing, but sometimes it happens.

Alexandria 12-02-2004 08:33 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Earlier this year, the March 11 terrorist attacks drew much emotion from the Spanish royal family with all of the members sharing in the nation's grief. The most memorable comment (for me) was the King's simple statement following the attack: Your King grieves with you.

Most notably, Queen Sofia drew much ink in the press for how emotional she appeared in the days following the attack, and specifically at the memorial mass for the victims of the attack.

Pictures below from the memorial mass.

Ennyllorac 12-02-2004 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandria
Earlier this year, the March 11 terrorist attacks drew much emotion from the Spanish royal family with all of the members sharing in the nation's grief. The most memorable comment (for me) was the King's simple statement following the attack: Your King grieves with you.

Most notably, Queen Sofia drew much ink in the press for how emotional she appeared in the days following the attack, and specifically at the memorial mass for the victims of the attack.

Pictures below from the memorial mass.

Excellent example Alexandria! We sometimes forget that public figures are human also so why wouldn't it be "proper' to show emotion. Another time that comes to mind to me was Princess Grace's funeral. There one saw a family that was totally distraught.

Reina 12-03-2004 12:13 AM

The Spanish Royal Family should show as much distress at their government!

hillary_nugent 12-03-2004 01:24 AM

A member of this forum who claims to be royal told me there is a rule against royals showing emotion in public which was established by Queen Victoria of England...is that true?

HMQueenElizabethII 12-03-2004 02:32 AM

I saw the pictures of Queen Elizabeth II cried when she attended the funeral of her sister,Princess Margaret.
And when she stood in her mother's place on Rememberance Day in 2002,she also cried.You can see that picture in a lot of site.

queenanne 12-03-2004 04:02 AM

Here are some more royals showing emotions:
At the wedding of Laurent and Claire
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/49f43283.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/e2cb1437.jpg https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/2b417408.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/113e779a.jpg https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/521e9e56.jpg
And the loss of a wife and mother:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/cf515ef9.jpg https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/e02a09bb.jpg https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/436be20a.jpg

queenanne 12-03-2004 04:06 AM

Cont.
King Baudouin at the funeral of his father:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/0d4959c2.jpg
At Baudouin's own funeral:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/bea2f9f5.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/810c321e.jpg

HMQueenElizabethII 12-03-2004 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Her Majesty at her mother's funeral.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-03-2004 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Her Majesty and The Duke at Queen Mother's funeral.

rchainho 12-03-2004 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
A member of this forum who claims to be royal told me there is a rule against royals showing emotion in public which was established by Queen Victoria of England...is that true?

I don't know if that is true but Jaime Penafiel (ex-chief of the spanish royal family) said that the spanish royals should avoid showing feelings.

liv 12-03-2004 09:44 AM

When I think of emotional royals then I think of Queen Beatrix. At Claus funeral she looked so sad and I thought she will collapse the next moment. I think the last years since 2001 were really difficult for her. Joy when her 3 sons married, joy when her 3 grandchildren were born and grief at the 3 deaths(Claus, Juliana,Bernhard) and that in 3 years.

ElisaR 12-03-2004 04:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Her Majesty and The Duke at Queen Mother's funeral.

Prince Charles. :)




First picture: Princess Margaret's funeral
The other two: Queen Mother's funeral. Here she's not in tears, but she's clearly very sad. :(

GrandDuchess 12-03-2004 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crown Princess Victoria at the memorial for the murdered Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs, Anna Lindh, last September.

Queen Silvia looks sad in this picture too, but Crown Princess Victoria took Anna's death harder than anyone in the Royal Family. She felt real sadness and grief after her passing, and has expressed that what happened still feels unreal. Crown Princess Victoria was also the one in the Royal Family who had become the "closest" to Anna Lindh, as they travelled on official trips together, and they also spent time together during Victoria's educational programmes.

The Watcher 12-03-2004 08:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by liv
When I think of emotional royals then I think of Queen Beatrix. At Claus funeral she looked so sad and I thought she will collapse the next moment. I think the last years since 2001 were really difficult for her. Joy when her 3 sons married, joy when her 3 grandchildren were born and grief at the 3 deaths(Claus, Juliana,Bernhard) and that in 3 years.

Claus funeral was so sad, it was terrible to see it on television. I thought also one moment that she would collapse:(
Here are some pictures of the funeral.

mybags 12-05-2004 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1. grieving Maxima
2. grieving Maurits, Marilene, and Pieter-Christiaan

the removal of Prince Bernhard's body from Soestdijk to Noordeinde

Britters 12-05-2004 02:18 PM

The last photos-of the Dutch Royal Family-are unbelievably touching. So sad when a death occurs, but I couldn't imagine having to live my grief out in public. It makes the entire clan seem that much more human!

suturegeisha 12-05-2004 06:06 PM

Claus' funeral:
Poor Friso looks ready to collapse.....

Bernhard's removal:
I am crying looking at those pictures. That is so sad.

-Kara-

MoonlightRhapsody 12-05-2004 07:27 PM

The picture with Maurits and Pieter-Christian crying while waving goodbye was so hard to look at. It's not very often that people realize that royal families are just as human as the rest of us when suffering a huge loss.

The Watcher 12-05-2004 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also a picture of today, a sad Queen Beatrix.

Reina 12-05-2004 07:54 PM

I think the DUtch RF are a bit too emotional esp. Maxima. WAy too much emotion

BMC 12-05-2004 08:07 PM

The most emotion I have ever seen shown by a royal family was at Princess Grace's funeral. It was televised here in the US and you could clearly see how devastated the entire family was. I thought Prince Rainier was going to collapse while following behind her coffin :(

sara1981 12-05-2004 08:15 PM

what about Princess Diana's funeral? who emotional? Prince William or Prince Harry whatsoever.

Sara Boyce

Reina 12-05-2004 08:17 PM

Well that was not shown, but their emotion is absolutely understandable. Poor boys...:(

irishchic5 12-05-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
I think the DUtch RF are a bit too emotional esp. Maxima. WAy too much emotion

I don't think it's fair to call people in mourning too emotional. If they weren't royal, they would be able to mourn in private like everyone else. I find it sad that they are forced to live out their grief in the public eye in such a way.

Safaa Batin 12-06-2004 02:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
from funeral of king Hussain of Jordan.

Humera 12-06-2004 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
King Juan Carlos of Spain and Prince Muhammad crying at the funeral of King Hassan of Morocco (July 1999)

Humera 12-06-2004 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Moroccan Princesses Meryem, Asma, and Hasna in 2002
I dont know what the event is...it must have something to do with their father.

michelleq 12-06-2004 08:33 PM

Who is the woman next to Maxima? Maxima is holding her by the waist? Is she Prince Bernhard's other daughter?

stephie_tad 12-06-2004 08:34 PM

I think it is Princess Cristina's daugther, Princess Juliana.

Humera 12-06-2004 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Feb 8, 1999 Funeral of King Hussein of Jordan

Humera 12-06-2004 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Princess Basma, the late King Hussein's sister, cries almost everytime she prays at her brother's tomb.
1. Feb 7, 2000
2. Feb 7, 2001

kittencrews 12-06-2004 09:19 PM

I think it's nice to see emotion from Royals because it shows they are human.

Another VERY emotional Royal is Stephanie.... Stephanie cries at the drop of a hat... I was looking for a picture of her crying at the Circus a couple of years ago but I couldn't find it.

Gabriella 12-06-2004 09:39 PM

Those pictures are just so sad. My heart aches for Beatrix and her family right now. I have always found her to be very endearing; she really does seem to wear her heart on her sleeve, whether she's happy, sad or angry. At times you can see that mischevious spark in her eye. I agree with the others, watching royals display emotion makes you realize that they too are humans with feelings. It makes people seem less removed from you when you see them display a universal emotion, whether it be happiness or sadness.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-06-2004 10:06 PM

In these pics,they look very human.Although they are Royals they also have the same emotion as everybody at the time a family member will "leave" them for ever.

Humera 12-06-2004 10:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Queen Rania in Macedonia. April 1999

monaco70s 12-07-2004 10:37 AM

Princess Stephanie cried back in 2000's International Circus Festival's closing night because Prince Rainier couldn't attend since he was very ill in the hospital. One year later in 2001, she cried at the St. Devote ceremony and those pictures were all over the press...a lot of things were said at the time...

The Grimaldi family was devastated at Princess Grace's funeral, even when you watch footage from the funeral you get sad, it was so sad, and even people who actually attended the funeral recall it as one of their saddest days. Stefano Casiraghi's funeral was another sad moment for them, Princess Caroline was very devastated. Her father and siblings were also shocked by the tragedy.

Yennie 12-07-2004 12:28 PM

When Fadime Sahindahl, a girl who was murdered by her father for wanting to live "a swedish" life, was buried in 2002?, Victoria showed alot of emotions at her funeral.
I think a video of it is online... I´ll see if I can find it!

Also, all members of the swedish royal family cried both at the funeral of Prince Bertil in 1997 and at their german grandmother Alice´s funeral in march 1997

susan alicia 12-07-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watcher
Also a picture of today, a sad Queen Beatrix.

I think the posting of this picture borders on voyerism (voyeur: someone who enjoys watching other people's private behaviour or suffering) and is almost indecent.

Alexandria 12-07-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanstotz
I think the posting of this picture borders on voyerism (voyeur: someone who enjoys watching other people's private behaviour or suffering) and is almost indecent.

One could argue that any pictures posted here, at other MBs and Web sites and in magazines or on the news could be considered voyeurism, too, at least by your definition of it. And from what I have read no member has expressed happiness or elation at seeing various royals in some of their saddest moments; in fact it has been the exact opposite: members have been saddened to see royals in such pain and experiencing such sorrow.

Voyeurism is also technically defined as obtaining gratification from seeing sexual acts by visual means (as in a peeping tom of sorts) or a prying observer who seeks the sordid or the scandalous.

As the majority if not all of these pictures were taken at public, official funeral processions and services, it can hardly be considered "prying." No one here directly and personally used a long-lens camera to zoom in on Prince Bernhard's home and captured images of his daughters and grandchildren crying. The transporation of his body was a public event, just as the funeral service for King Hussein was a public event.

Reina 12-07-2004 02:39 PM

I see the point that it makes them look more human, but is it nece. for the RF to be more human. To me it is not. But I see how devastating it could be to lose your spouse or parent. That is understandable. But I just love the BRF's stamina. When dealing with grief (and if one believes in an afterlife) one should be comforted by the fact that he/she will see that person again. BUt still it must be really hard though to not show emotion...:(

Humera 12-07-2004 04:56 PM

The British Royal family has its own reasons for not showing emotion most of the time...ie. "the stiff upper-lip" protocol.
One doesnt need to appear cold or stoic in order to appear dignified. It reminds me of Queen Mary. I once heard that she believed that there were two classes, royals and everyone else. That was one of reasons she always appeared so stark and even cold in public.
I remember when Princess Diana died, so many Britons crticized the Queen for her lack of emotion. Most humans, no matter what station in life they belong to, like to see a show of feeling now and then. Something that betrays a sense of humanity and maybe even frailty. Thats what most people found so endearing about Princess Diana.
Not that anyone expects the British royals to weep uncontrollably in public.
But I think that the Queen has shown more emotion in the years since Diana's death.
Things are undoubtedly changing.

sara1981 12-07-2004 07:56 PM

when i watch Princess Diana's video many people who watch Princess Diana's funeral from outside near the Westminister Abbey and lots of more people in England watch Princess Diana's funeral hearses to the Althorp after the funeral and many people throw flowers more thousand like as millions flowers by the hearse cars its really worse day of Diana's funeral in 1997 if you like to post the pictures of Diana's funeral? and her family&friends who attend Diana's funeral also.

in 1991 or 1992 Diana attend her dad's funeral many people never knew about her dad's death if you like to post pictures of her dad's funeral.

Sara Boyce

Vicomtesse 12-08-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I remember when Princess Diana died, so many Britons crticized the Queen for her lack of emotion. Most humans, no matter what station in life they belong to, like to see a show of feeling now and then. Something that betrays a sense of humanity and maybe even frailty. Thats what most people found so endearing about Princess Diana.
Not that anyone expects the British royals to weep uncontrollably in public.

You are so right.
No one wants to see Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles or Princess Anne crying all the time at every event. But when something truly affects them to see them shed even a few tears makes them more real and more human.
Like at the Remembrance Day ceremonies Queen Elizabeth always looks emotional. If she can be that emotional for war veterans even if they are important why couldn't she be a little bit emotional for her ex daughter in law who was also the mother of the Queen's grandchildren?
No one thinks that Queen Beatrix is not a good queen because there are pictures of her crying or upset at her mom's funeral or when her father's coffin was brought to her home. Everyone probably feels more sad for the queen and thinks she's a good queen still.

sara1981 12-09-2004 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomtesse
You are so right.
No one wants to see Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles or Princess Anne crying all the time at every event. But when something truly affects them to see them shed even a few tears makes them more real and more human.
Like at the Remembrance Day ceremonies Queen Elizabeth always looks emotional. If she can be that emotional for war veterans even if they are important why couldn't she be a little bit emotional for her ex daughter in law who was also the mother of the Queen's grandchildren?
No one thinks that Queen Beatrix is not a good queen because there are pictures of her crying or upset at her mom's funeral or when her father's coffin was brought to her home. Everyone probably feels more sad for the queen and thinks she's a good queen still.

i agree!

when HM Queen Elizabeth 2 dont cry at Princess Diana's funeral and Queen Mother's funeral but im sure she got cry after that funeral im totally surprises! in 1997 HM Queen 2 cry when her ex daughter in law Princess Diana died but have NO excuse and no reason for those of taboilds of recalled for HM Queen given half-flag when Diana's died im totally surprise it! they later her sister died same day before her mum's died in 2002.

Sara Boyce

HMQueenElizabethII 12-09-2004 02:55 AM

Vicomtesse,I don not think like you say.I'm sure that Her Majesty also cried when Princess Diana died but not in public.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-09-2004 03:05 AM

I know that Queen Beatrix is a good Queen but your reason that she is a good Queen because she cried at her mother's funeral.It is not reason to show that she is a good Queen,Queen Beatrix is still a good Queen now by another reasons not the reason you say.
And i think The Queen also looked sad at Princess Diana.Did she smile or laugh when Princess Diana died?Not always show our emotion to people.She keeps in her heart not show in public.If she always show emotional, how will we think?We will think that she is normal,and very easy to cry.No!The noble never show their emotion very clearly,although they are sad, they never show their emotion so much.

Humera 12-09-2004 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I know that Queen Beatrix is a good Queen but your reason that she is a good Queen because she cried at her mother's funeral.It is not reason to show that she is a good Queen,Queen Beatrix is still a good Queen now by another reasons not the reason you say.
And i think The Queen also looked sad at Princess Diana.Did she smile or laugh when Princess Diana died?Not always show our emotion to people.She keeps in her heart not show in public.If she always show emotional, how will we think?We will think that she is normal,and very easy to cry.No!The noble never show their emotion very clearly,although they are sad, they never show their emotion so much.

so those who show their emotions aren't "noble" as you say?
And what about the time when she did cry, like at the Remembrance Day service? does that mean that she wasnt being noble that day?
Queen Elizabeth's reasons have more to do with the fact that protocol is very important to her. She was born and grew up in an age when things were very different. She has tried to stick to tradition as she knew it.
It doest make her wrong nor does it make her any better/noble than people who shed a tear in public once in a while.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-09-2004 05:33 AM

I do not mean they cry they are not noble.I mean that they do not show their cry so much in public.And everybody are different.Elizabeth is Elizabeth and Beatrix,why should you compare them?

HMQueenElizabethII 12-09-2004 05:39 AM

And i'm sure that The Queen has cried when Diana died but she did not show her grief in public.And maybe Diana is not so close to her,so she did not show her grief in public.And at Princess Margaret's funeral,she cried in public because Princess Margaret is so close to her.Margaret and Elizabeth has been given birth from the same Mum,they grew up together,and they have lived for long time so it's certainly she show so much emotional at Princess Margaret's funeral.

Humera 12-09-2004 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I do not mean they cry they are not noble.I mean that they do not show their cry so much in public.And everybody are different.Elizabeth is Elizabeth and Beatrix,why should you compare them?

I see what you're saying and Im sure no one was comparing Queen Beatrix to Queen Elizabeth. They're both different people. The only thing where you can compare the two is in terms of protocol and modes of behaviour, which seem to be stricter in the British royal family.

abir 12-09-2004 02:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picture of KA, QR and KJC. It's funy their opposite face expressions.
The other picture of Q. Noor attending P. Alexia of Greece wedding. Now we know QN visits a dentiste as normal people do, just kidding.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-10-2004 02:41 AM

Ok, sorry Humera.Because i thought you are talking bad about Queen Elizabeth II.Maybe Queen Elizabeth should share a little of her emotion for Diana.

Humera 12-10-2004 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Ok, sorry Humera.Because i thought you are talking bad about Queen Elizabeth II.Maybe Queen Elizabeth should share a little of her emotion for Diana.

oh thats okay.
I have nothing against Queen Elizabeth believe me.
I just think she's still somewhat old-fashioned. But I understand that completely. She was born in an entirely different time.

Vicomtesse 12-10-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I know that Queen Beatrix is a good Queen but your reason that she is a good Queen because she cried at her mother's funeral.It is not reason to show that she is a good Queen,Queen Beatrix is still a good Queen now by another reasons not the reason you say.
And i think The Queen also looked sad at Princess Diana.Did she smile or laugh when Princess Diana died?Not always show our emotion to people.She keeps in her heart not show in public.If she always show emotional, how will we think?We will think that she is normal,and very easy to cry.No!The noble never show their emotion very clearly,although they are sad, they never show their emotion so much.

You should reread my post again CAREFULLY.
I DID NOT say Queen Beatrix was a BETTER queen than Queen Elizabeth because she cried in public. I said that Queen Beatrix seems more human because she is able to express her grief and sadness at times.
Queen Elizabeth HAS cried in public before. Like at Remembrance Day services but NOT when her ex daughter in law Diana died.
Protocol matters too much to Queen Elizabeth and her entire family. They worry so much about it that they seem like robots who can't react to things in a good way or a bad way.

HMQueenElizabethII 12-11-2004 12:54 AM

Any pics of the emotional at funeral of Queen Ingrid or British Queen Mother?

susan alicia 12-11-2004 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Any pics of the emotional at funeral of Queen Ingrid or British Queen Mother?

If that kind op pics interest you, lots of them within a few hours of the dutch royals at funeral of prince bernhard!

the dutch royal family do not allow at a funeral
the same amount of camara's nor
the same amount of time the camara's may scrutinize their faces
as at a happy occcasion as at a wedding.

They reserve/demand for themselves the right to be able to grieve in relative privacy and as most of us like them most of us fully understand.

Valentine 12-12-2004 06:01 AM

Yes, indeed, but she's not a Princess, her name is just Juliana, they use to call her Julie.

Josefine 06-29-2005 01:39 PM

very strong photos to see

Von Schlesian 06-30-2005 02:30 AM

With regard to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II showing emotion in public, I think that with regard to the funeral of The Princess of Wales, she felt the need to show strength because of her grandchildren. I think that Her Majesty was giving them someone to be supported by, and it wouldn't do much for their grief if she showed too much emotion. I think solumn was the correct emotion. When compared to the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, I think, considering is was Her Majesties' own Mother who had passed away, her level of emotion then was also appropriate. In that sense, she was the more emotional, where others were there to be Her strength.

In contrast, I think the emotion shown on Remembrance Day etc, is not a reaction to a life coming to a natural close, or even ended tradgically, but a reaction to the destruction of war, and the sacrifices made by so many.

BeccaLynn07 07-01-2005 02:01 AM

So many sad photos...very touching.

zarzuela 07-01-2005 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Queen Sofia was evidently sad at the funeral for the Spanish militars who died in an aerial crash in 2003 coming back from Afghanistan. Year 2003.

Mascha 07-01-2005 05:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more sad pics of Juan Carlos and Sofia on various occasions...


1. funeral of a family member (?)

2,3,4. funeral for the Spanish soldiers who died in a plane crash on the way back to Spain from Afghanistan.

5. Juan Carlos and Sofia in Greece at the cemetery where her parents are burried.

tbhrc 07-02-2005 04:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Prince Rainier at the opening of the Monte Carlo Circus Festival January 21, 2005.

zarzuela 07-02-2005 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at the faces of Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, they look devastated. They participated, along with Prince Felipe, in a rally against terrorism following the terrorist attacks in Madrid in march the 11, 2004.

Juanita 07-07-2005 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
King Juan Carlos and queen Sofia at the funeral of the Count of Barcelona.

igilmo 07-07-2005 11:11 AM

I can't get to see the pictures in this post... it's a pity! could you manage to show them? Thanks

Juanita 07-12-2005 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spain's Royal Couple gave the government Golden Medals of Merit on the Labor to all 11-M victims in remembrance of their labor lives at the ceremony.

Von Schlesian 07-13-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
Spain's Royal Couple gave the government Golden Medals of Merit on the Labor to all 11-M victims in remembrance of their labor lives at the ceremony.

A very personal and touching gesture.

SpiffyBallerina 07-13-2005 01:51 AM

I'm not a fan of anyone (including royals) getting overly emotional all the time, but there are certain times when it should be acceptable for anyone and everyone to shed a tear or two. I mean, poor Queen Beatrix at the funerals of her mother, husband, and father all so close together! The royals are people too, and while they're held to a certain higher standard, I think it would be very odd for them NOT to show emotion during a very happy or sad time in their lives.

Reina 07-13-2005 02:24 AM

AI'm sorry. I don't think it is good for the Spanish royals to show so many emotions. They've got to hold themselves up.

Lady Jennifer 07-13-2005 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
I'm not a fan of anyone (including royals) getting overly emotional all the time, but there are certain times when it should be acceptable for anyone and everyone to shed a tear or two. I mean, poor Queen Beatrix at the funerals of her mother, husband, and father all so close together! The royals are people too, and while they're held to a certain higher standard, I think it would be very odd for them NOT to show emotion during a very happy or sad time in their lives.

I agree w/ you SpiffyBallerina.

Yennie 07-13-2005 06:15 AM

King and Queen of Sweden in tears for the victims of the Tsunami, during a memorial service in Khao Lak, Thailand

https://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5...a4632qd.th.jpg

https://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2...aret3399wl.jpg

lula 07-13-2005 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
AI'm sorry. I don't think it is good for the Spanish royals to show so many emotions. They've got to hold themselves up.

Though in these photos she it does not look like the King Juan Carlos and the Queen they are in the habit of containing enough their emotions, but these images belong to tremendously dramatic moments.
Often, these tears of the Queen Sofia, which is in the habit of having a contained and severe gesture, are the sample of the pain of the whole people, and the Spanish are grateful for it.

In this accident more than 50 soldiers died, and in the attempts of 11M already we all know what happened. The Queen Sofia always is there and offers her shoulder for whom needs to weep on it, and I assure you that it the people are grateful for it. I believe that it is impossible to cry when a mother kneels down before you and says to you that " ojalá something like that should never happen to your children "; or when a father asks for the death sentence for those who killed his son, and when he realizes that the Queen is there he asks for pardon him crying and the Queen consoles him.

The Royal Family is the representation of a State, but also it is the representation of the whole people, and when the people suffer a misfortune, the people wait turn represented in them. A Kings must be able to be, but it must not turn them into cold and distant persons; in Spain it is said that the Queen does not cry, that the Queen can contain her emotions ... and when she cries, the people feel it furthermore nearby, and it ultimately is good.

I not to place photos here, but probably there exist members' photos of the Spanish Royal Family, if not crying if with torn gestures of pain. The Queen in a funeral for a few children who died in an accident of autobus, the Princes in the funerales of a few young men, the Infanta Cristina crying in the funeral of 11M...

Australian 07-13-2005 09:24 AM

its nice to see a queen hug a normal person, really nice

sm1939 07-13-2005 10:06 AM

I agree its good to see the royal family of spain showing their feelings, to me it shows how much they love their people.

Gloriana 07-13-2005 10:42 AM

Showing grief is not ''letting down your standard''. If the royals didn't show emotion and at the funerals of their loved ones, they wouldn't be human.

Australian 07-13-2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloriana
Showing grief is not ''letting down your standard''. If the royals didn't show emotion and at the funerals of their loved ones, they wouldn't be human.

Yes i agree with Gloriana. They are human afterall.

sm1939 07-13-2005 11:26 AM

Princess metta merit upset for the victims of the Tsunami
https://img321.imageshack.us/img321/9...323b7dn.th.jpg

Australian 07-13-2005 11:29 AM

she doesnt look upset in that photo

sm1939 07-13-2005 11:43 AM

I thought she did ,

cute_girl 07-13-2005 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1939
Princess metta merit upset for the victims of the Tsunami

she doesnt look upset at all,there're for sure some feelings in her face but it's not being upset.

sm1939 07-13-2005 12:29 PM

well I stand corrected no one agrees with me, its funny how people see diffrent things in a pictures isnt it ?

H.M. Margrethe 07-13-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute_girl
she doesnt look upset at all,there're for sure some feelings in her face but it's not being upset.

I think Mette Marit looks very sad... If i look at her chin it looks like she is going to cry.

Reina 07-13-2005 12:59 PM

If I saw my leaders crying after a national tragedy, that would make me feel so afraid and hopeless. I would rather see a somber face than a crying one. It would strengthen me to know that my leaders were holding it together. Of course family members can and should elicit emotion (like when QEII did; I think it was good for her to cry at her mum's and sisters and the rememberances of the soldiers). But when the whole nation is suffering, I feel leaders must hold it all together in public.

sm1939 07-13-2005 01:18 PM

I think it would be different if it was My Priminster crying ( then that may make me feel afraid ) but if its royalty it would only make me think that they had feeling for there people ( when I mean crying I dont mean sobbing there hearts out and just been tears in there eyes kind of thing)


lashinka2002 07-13-2005 02:16 PM

In my opinion as long as they're crying over something valid that's fine. I mean you don't want robots for a Royal Family.
If they're running around crying all the time over nothing (which they're not) then that would be a problem.

La la 07-13-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
I think Mette Marit looks very sad... If i look at her chin it looks like she is going to cry.

I was thinking the same thing. She looks like she's on the verge of tears.

La la 07-13-2005 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarzuela
Queen Sofia was evidently sad at the funeral for the Spanish militars who died in an aerial crash in 2003 coming back from Afghanistan. Year 2003.

Is the woman leaning towards Queen Sofia's shoulders a commoner? She reminds me a little of Margaret Thatcher.

Piewi 07-13-2005 05:48 PM

Pss Caroline cried yesterday during the coronation of her brother Prince Albert

Mette2 07-13-2005 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
I think Mette Marit looks very sad... If i look at her chin it looks like she is going to cry.

Mette-Marit was crying in this picture - I saw it on tv.


From Newscom.
Another sad royal: Crown Prince Philippe at the funeral of Josephine-Charlotte.

Juanita 12-18-2005 08:43 PM

There is some more of Queen Sofia... some of those pictures are vey touching...
(search: terra, Gettyimages, Deadline, seegerpress and (i'm not sure) colourpress).

Some are similar to others that was already post but are little different.

https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/5-125655.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/37-664143.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/154-224441.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/155-928175.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/302-14767.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/349.jpg

Juanita 12-18-2005 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
There is some more of Queen Sofia...

And some more...
(search: seegerpress, terra, newscom and the last one i don't remember...)
The last one is also from the funeral of the Count of Barcelona.

https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/388-676944.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/396.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/399.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/402-541567.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/432-329754.jpg
https://www.supload.com/thumbs/default/545-201455.jpg

Scott 12-19-2005 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
And i'm sure that The Queen has cried when Diana died but she did not show her grief in public.And maybe Diana is not so close to her,so she did not show her grief in public.And at Princess Margaret's funeral,she cried in public because Princess Margaret is so close to her.Margaret and Elizabeth has been given birth from the same Mum,they grew up together,and they have lived for long time so it's certainly she show so much emotional at Princess Margaret's funeral.


The British Royals did not show much emotion at Diana's funeral but I think they upset some members the British public when they openly had tears in their eyes at the decommisioning of the Royal Yacht Britannia!!!!!!!

Australian 12-19-2005 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott
The British Royals did not show much emotion at Diana's funeral but I think they upset some members the British public when they openly had tears in their eyes at the decommisioning of the Royal Yacht Britannia!!!!!!!

very true!, i remember that, they cried in public when that yacht was ending its days but not when diana died. I would have thought Diana is more important than a yacht! But i understand the family have their reasons,

Scott 12-19-2005 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
very true!, i remember that, they cried in public when that yacht was ending its days but not when diana died. I would have thought Diana is more important than a yacht! But i understand the family have their reasons,


The tears were sentimental tears as "Britannia" must have held a lot of memories for all members of the Royal Family. But like you I would have considered Diana to be more important that the yacht.

Scott

Princejohnny25 12-19-2005 05:05 AM

Well Diana did hurt the royal family during the breakup years. Plus, I dont think the most of the Royals were close to Diana. The Royal Yacht was a second home. The whole family grew up there and had very special memories of many voyages and experiences. Its like watching the house you grew up in burn to the ground in a way. Its emotional but the BRF never make sense with what they do. If they did then they wouldnt be the Royal Family we now.

tabbitha 12-19-2005 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbhrc
Prince Rainier at the opening of the Monte Carlo Circus Festival January 21, 2005.


It's hard looking at these pictures of Rainier- poor little thing- He never did get over the loss of Princess Grace- he absolutely adored her and I think he died that day too :( To me that was the day that Princess Caroline matured into a woman and was there for him - a shoulder to cry on - she also lost her best friend..
He reminds me of my dad so it is hard for me to see pics of him without feeling sad.

Little_star 12-19-2005 06:05 AM

"In my opinion as long as they're crying over something valid that's fine. I mean you don't want robots for a Royal Family.
If they're running around crying all the time over nothing (which they're not) then that would be a problem."

Absolutely, there are occasions and events when it is appropriate to show grief. Personally I'd like to see the Royal Family (British) display a bit more emotion, they way they all act so regimented makes them seem so cold and unfeeling.

Moreover it should be pointed out that in some cultures crying is viewed to be a very natural part of the grieving and not something to be ashamed of.

Little_star 12-19-2005 06:10 AM

Following the Amman bombings tere were some very emotional pictures of Quen Rania:

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...orial_emea&t=1

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...0769&b=afp&t=1

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...2624&b=afp&t=1

Queen Rania visiting victims of the earthquake in Kashmir:

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...9402&b=afp&t=1

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/56029759.jpg?x=x&a=56029759&b=editorial_asiapac&t= 1

<A href="https://javascript<b></b>:OpenChildWindow('https://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=56029756&cdi=0', '', 'width=640,height=500,menubar=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,status=no,titlebar=no,toolbar=no');" target=_blank>https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/56029756.jpg?x=x&a=56029756&b=editorial_asiapac&t= 1

Queen Rania visiting Rafiq Hariri's widow:

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...orial_emea&t=1

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...orial_emea&t=1

https://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/5...orial_emea&t=1


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises