The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Dutch State Visit to Italy and Vatican City: June 20-23, 2017 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f48/dutch-state-visit-to-italy-and-vatican-city-june-20-23-2017-a-41897.html)

Marengo 06-22-2017 05:34 AM

No tiara and no orders sadly, but that was to be expected. The queen wears a long dress and veil at least. The king just in his business suit.

An Ard Ri 06-22-2017 06:11 AM

The King and Queen at the Vatican with Pope Francis.

PPE Agency

maria-olivia 06-22-2017 06:38 AM

Marengo , that was in the past !
As officlal Visit the Queen of the Netherlands was in black , her sister in law who is catholic in black too because she is not a Catholic Head of State as Queens Mathilde and Letitzia and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

But Queen Maxima looks great and I like her lace Veil.

iceflower 06-22-2017 06:45 AM

.

More pics of day 3:


** ppe gallery 2 ** ppe gallery 3 ** ppe gallery 4 **


** gettyimages gallery **


** robinutrecht.photoshelter gallery **


** rd.nl gallery: Historisch koninklijk staatsbezoek aan paus **


** dailymail: Dutch Queen Maxima wears a traditional black lace mantilla to meet Pope Francis at the Vatican ..**

Duc_et_Pair 06-22-2017 11:07 AM

The King and Queen were not in gala with Orders et al, but it works both ways: the Pope himself did not dress up wearing choir dress and mozzeta for receiving State Visits as was the use for his predecessors.

I have never seen Francesco in official dress, aside Mass. He sticks to his daily white soutane, with black trousers and shoes under it. His idea of being a "poor Pope" sitting on the billions of the Holy See.

I was already expecting this: knowing this Pope, the dress code would be simple. Queen Máxima would have packed out if she could. Under Benedict XVI, a stickler to papal traditions, the King and Queen would have worn white tie and Orders, as they already did for the Investiture of the current Pope.

An Ard Ri 06-22-2017 02:50 PM

Here's a video of the Visit today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q3s-a7xQc

ashelen 06-22-2017 05:50 PM

Is any Video of Maxima peaking with the Pope, Would like to know if they spoke inSpanish!

Mbruno 06-22-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1996139)
Is any Video of Maxima peaking with the Pope, Would like to know if they spoke inSpanish!


I am pretty sure they did. I believe Máxima and her Argentinian family actually know Cardinal Bergoglio personally from his time back in Argentina, don't they ?

carlota 06-22-2017 07:04 PM

interesting to see maxima curtsying to the pope - she clearly knows her protocol as a catholic queen, even if her country isn't catholic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1996139)
Is any Video of Maxima peaking with the Pope, Would like to know if they spoke inSpanish!

yes, maxima spoke in spanish with the pope, as you would expect. they have met the pope in the past and already spoke in spanish with him back then.

Moonmaiden23 06-22-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1996157)
I am pretty sure they did. I believe Máxima and her Argentinian family actually know Cardinal Bergoglio personally from his time back in Argentina, don't they ?

At the time of his election to the papacy I remember reading that Cardinal Bergoglio did indeed know the Zorriegueta familly.

iceflower 06-23-2017 04:37 AM

.

Day 4 and with that the final day of the state visit today, June 23:



** robinutrecht.photoshelter gallery ** belga gallery **


** dpp gallery: King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima visit Italy day 4 **


** gettyimages gallery ** rd.nl gallery: „Handelsmissie bij staatsbezoek een succes” **


** dailymail: Hats off to Maxima! Queen of the Netherlands is resplendent in statement headwear as she visits a gallery **

An Ard Ri 06-23-2017 07:35 AM

The King and Queen also toured the beautiful Kerk van de Friezen or Dutch Church in Rome yesterday .

https://www.vorsten.nl/app/uploads/2...-1-768x512.jpg

Some photos from earlier today .

https://ppe-agency.com/show.php?start...6-2017%20Milan

Duc_et_Pair 06-23-2017 09:51 AM

Interesting detail of the State Visit: the King received a commander's bâton which belonged to William of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1533-1584). It was captured during the Battle of Mookerheide in 1574. Two brothers of the Prince died in that battle.

The commander's bâton was captured and held Don Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga, the Governor of the Low Countries for the King of Spain. It was held by the Requesens family until it became extinct, it was then given in depôt at a Jesuit monastery.

Dutch royals pick up 400-year-old family heirloom during Vatican visit | CatholicHerald.co.uk

A picture of the King with the more than 4 centuries old bâton.

William of Nassau, Prince of Orange with such a bâton: picture.

William II of Nassau, Prince of Orange (grandson of the previous) with such a bâton: picture.

Mbruno 06-23-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1996306)
Interesting detail of the State Visit: the King received a commander's bâton which belonged to William of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1533-1584). It was captured during the Battle of Mookerheide in 1574. Two brothers of the Prince died in that battle.

The commander's bâton was captured and held Don Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga, the Governor of the Low Countries for the King of Spain. It was held by the Requesens family until it became extinct, it was then given in depôt at a Jesuit monastery.

Dutch royals pick up 400-year-old family heirloom during Vatican visit | CatholicHerald.co.uk

A picture of the King with the more than 4 centuries old bâton.

William of Nassau, Prince of Orange with such a bâton: picture.

William II of Nassau, Prince of Orange (grandson of the previous) with such a bâton: picture.


Was the bâton returned to the Dutch royal family or did the King just hold it during the visit ?

carlota 06-23-2017 10:56 AM

i loved maxima's fashion choices this time (she truly knows how to dress like a queen), with one exception: that summery dress in white with red and blue riveting. i am rather impartial to the queen wearing something which leaves her arms and shoulders so exposed on a public engagement. but... i understand that the engagement was outdoors and the weather was rather lovely and that she did indeed cover herself with a cardigan to enter the church.

Lee-Z 06-23-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1996327)
Was the bâton returned to the Dutch royal family or did the King just hold it during the visit ?

More info with regards to your question:
Koning ontvangt eeuwenoude bevelhebbersstaf|Binnenland| Telegraaf.nl

google translated

Duc_et_Pair 06-23-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1996327)
Was the bâton returned to the Dutch royal family or did the King just hold it during the visit ?

Knowing the "quality" of Google translations: it was a gift by the superior-general of the Jesuits to the King, who -on his turn- has given it in use to the National Military Museum in The Netherlands, to be exhibited to the public.

The Jesuits themselves received it from the Spanish National Archives which got lots of material from the Requesens family upon extinction. Because the Archives are specialized in documents and not artefacts, somehow this Commander's Bâton ended in a Spanish Jesuit monastery.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises