The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Denmark (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   State Visit from Belgium to Denmark: March 28-30, 2017 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/state-visit-from-belgium-to-denmark-march-28-30-2017-a-41857.html)

ROYAL NORWAY 03-08-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1965935)
Any additional details on what the Queen said in the interview ?

I have not checked yet, but I suppose she was asked what she always is asked about by Danish/foreign media:

Are you going to abdicate? QMII: No.

Why not? QMII: I feel that this is a duty for life.

Next interview: Same questions/answers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1966006)
The Belgian Consort is a Queen , the Danish Consort is a Prince?. Will He attend ??

He attended the events (including the state banquets) for the state visits from Mexico and Iceland, so I assume that he's going to attend.

polyesco 03-13-2017 07:30 PM

video of the interview the Queen gave to Belgium press
Margrethe ... les confidences d'une reine

Marengo 03-14-2017 02:22 AM

:previous:

The queen was talking about the family ties with the Belgian RF and how her mother told her about Queen Astrid.
The interviewer told HM about how King Filip and Queen Mathilde are forming a team, asking the Danish monarch how she does that with her husband. The queen said that her hsband was now slowing down but that he will be attending the Belgian State Visit.

The interviewer also asked to look to the future and what her opinions about abdications like in Belgium, the Vatican, The Netherlands and Spain was. She replied that each coutnry has their own traditions in this matter. In this country you stay as long as you live. That is how her father did it and what she intends to do.

The interviewer even asked about her smoking habits. She said it is known that she smokes, everybody knows about it and she does not pretend othherwise: 'at least I am not a hypocrite'.

The queen just oozes charm btw and so relaxed and open in fron tof the camera.

Mbruno 03-14-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1967373)

The queen was talking about the family ties with the Belgian RF and how her mother told her about Queen Astrid.
The interviewer told HM about how King Filip and Queen Mathilde are forming a team, asking the Danish monarch how she does that with her husband. The queen said that her hsband was now slowing down but that he will be attending the Belgian State Visit.

The interviewer also asked to look to the future and what her opinions about abdications like in Belgium, the Vatican, The Netherlands and Spain was. She replied that each coutnry has their own traditions in this matter. In this country you stay as long as you live. That is how her father did it and what she intends to do.

The interviewer even asked about her smoking habits. She said it is known that she smokes, everybody knows about it and she does not pretend othherwise: 'at least I am not a hypocrite'.

The queen just oozes charm btw and so relaxed and open in fron tof the camera.

I wonder why the Queen chose to answer the questions in English when she is fluent in French.

That also makes me wonder what language she will use on her speech at the state banquet. In the recent Dutch state visit, she spoke in English, but I was hoping she would speak in French this time.

Muhler 03-14-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1967497)
I wonder why the Queen chose to answer the questions in English when she is fluent in French.

That also makes me wonder what language she will use on her speech at the state banquet. In the recent Dutch state visit, she spoke in English, but I was hoping she would speak in French this time.

Perhaps because of the delicate relationship between the Flemish and Wallonians in Belgium?
So English is a nice compromise which all in Belgium can accept.

Mbruno 03-14-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1967501)
Perhaps because of the delicate relationship between the Flemish and Wallonians in Belgium?

Yes, that makes sense.

Hannelore 03-14-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1967501)

The reason is more simple actually. There were 2 journalists: A french speaking one for TV and a Dutch speaking one for some newspapers. English was the language all three of them were at ease in because the newspaper man's French isn't great. (The queen just gave one interview, to both of them at the same time).

Nordic 03-15-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1966008)
He attended the events (including the state banquets) for the state visits from Mexico and Iceland, so I assume that he's going to attend.

According to the court and the press programme, Prince Henrik does not take part in the State Visit. Princess Elisabeth is scheduled to attend the State Banquet.

maria-olivia 03-15-2017 11:32 AM

Prince Henrik does not take part in the State Visit ! Sad .

Mbruno 03-15-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 1967821)
According to the court and the press programme, Prince Henrik does not take part in the State Visit. Princess Elisabeth is scheduled to attend the State Banquet.

Didn't Queen Margrethe say in the interview to the Belgian TV that Prince Henrik would take part in the State Visit ? Do you think he and the Queen may have had an argument about that afterwards ?

Nordic 03-15-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1967844)
Didn't Queen Margrethe say in the interview to the Belgian TV that Prince Henrik would take part in the State Visit ? Do you think he and the Queen may have had an argument about that afterwards ?

I don't know what she has said.

This was confirmed today by the Lord Chamberlain at a press meeting re the State Visit. PH is not mentioned in the press programme for the State Visit which was released at the meeting.

Mentioned here under "Forste statsbesog uden prins Henrik"
Prinsesse Benedikte aflyser alle officielle opgaver | BILLED-BLADET

Mbruno 03-15-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 1967855)
Edited post again, sorry.

See Marengo's post above about what the Queen had said.

I find it odd that the Queen would mention Prince Henrik's attendance when he was not included in the official program. Hence my suspicion that Henrik was originally expected to attend, but had another of his famous "temper tantrums" afterwards. Of course, that is just speculation on my part.

maria-olivia 03-15-2017 01:35 PM

The late Prince Richard of SWB did not like Prince Henrik wearing such a lot of decorations . I read yesterday that their relationship was warm. Maybe he is too sad !

Marengo 03-15-2017 01:40 PM

that is what she said indeed, around minute 3:45: 'he will be there for the visit'.

I suppose he has still two weeks to hange his mind, if he has a tantrum indeed.

I thought the official policy of the court was not to add Hendrik to the guest list in advance. If he does come: all the better. If he does not: no harm done. In this case it is likely that there was some miscommunication.

Another option is that he will meet the king and queen privately of course.

Hannelore 03-16-2017 02:50 PM

To get into the mood, here's a look back at the Danish state visit to Belgium, when king Albert II received queen Margrethe II, in 2002.

Queen Mathilde: Flashback: Danish state visit

maria-olivia 03-16-2017 07:08 PM

Queen Mathilde does not have the Order of the Olifant and King Philippe has the Order but not the Collar.
I suppose they will receive their Danish Decorations at their arrival and will wear them at the First Gala Evening.
I don't know if Crown Princess Mary will receive the Belgian Order of Leopold ?

Mbruno 03-16-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannelore (Post 1968193)
To get into the mood, here's a look back at the Danish state visit to Belgium, when king Albert II received queen Margrethe II, in 2002.

Queen Mathilde: Flashback: Danish state visit

Back then, it appears that there were actually two tiara events during the State Visit. Queen Paola wore the Nine Provinces at the white-tie banquet and the Art Deco bandeau at the black-tie dinner.

GömdNatt 03-16-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1968269)
Queen Mathilde does not have the Order of the Olifant and King Philippe has the Order but not the Collar.
I suppose they will receive their Danish Decorations at their arrival and will wear them at the First Gala Evening.
I don't know if Crown Princess Mary will receive the Belgian Order of Leopold ?

Philippe should receive the Collar, and Mathilde should receive the Order of the Elephant now. As for Mary and Marie, should Belgium follow it's usual procotol, they will receive the Order of the Crown (if Marie receives anything).

Al_bina 03-16-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1967373)
... [snipped] The interviewer also asked to look to the future and what her opinions about abdications like in Belgium, the Vatican, The Netherlands and Spain was. She replied that each coutnry has their own traditions in this matter. In this country you stay as long as you live. That is how her father did it and what she intends to do. ...[snipped]

Thanks for summarising the interview!:flowers:
I do not understand questions about a possible abdication though.

mybags 03-16-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GömdNatt (Post 1968275)
Philippe should receive the Collar, and Mathilde should receive the Order of the Elephant now. As for Mary and Marie, should Belgium follow it's usual procotol, they will receive the Order of the Crown (if Marie receives anything).

There is only one class of the Order of the Elephant. Everyone who receives the order, automatically receives the collar. The collar of the order can only be worn on certain days of the year.