The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Paris - March 17-18, 2017 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/duke-and-duchess-of-cambridge-official-visit-to-paris-march-17-18-2017-a-41854.html)

Rudolph 02-13-2017 07:06 AM

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Paris - March 17-18, 2017
 
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will undertake an official visit to Paris on March 17th and 18th

Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
The Cambridges' Paris trip will include a reception for young French leaders, dinner at the Ambassador's and Wales vs France Six Nations

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
Read further details of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Paris on our website

https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duches...ll-visit-paris

Duke of Marmalade 02-13-2017 08:37 AM

of course, the first reference to the city where you-know-who died.
Prince William and Kate to visit Paris next month | Daily Mail Online

muriel 02-13-2017 11:33 AM

William & Catherine: Paris trio, 17-18 March 2017
 
https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duches...ll-visit-paris

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will undertake an official visit to Paris on March 17th and 18th. The Cambridges' Paris trip will include a reception for young French leaders, dinner at the Ambassador's and Wales vs France Six Nations

Pranter 02-13-2017 12:10 PM

Link say page not found.

Osipi 02-13-2017 12:15 PM

This Paris trip causes quite the dilemna. As the trip is March 17th and 18th and March 17th being St. Patrick's Day, who is going to hand out the traditional shamrocks to the Irish Guard? Maybe Lupo can stand in for them and get some good one on one time with the Irish Guard's mascot Domhnall. :biggrin:

cepe 02-13-2017 01:15 PM

Here is the link

https://www.royal.uk/duke-and-duches...ll-visit-paris


It is at the request of HM Gov

Skippyboo 02-13-2017 01:49 PM

St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards isn't equivalent to Remembrance Sunday. Someone else will pass out the Shamrocks. Even Charles has missed Remembrance Sunday in the U.K. multiple times in recent years because he was overseas on tours.

cepe 02-13-2017 03:34 PM

And he is mtg with another patronage, the WRFU

AdmirerUS 02-13-2017 06:20 PM

Ah, Paris in the spring! It makes me think of that great prowler of Parisian streets Pepe Le Pew, who once so wisely said "Quelle est? Ah, le belle femme skunk fatale."

Off topic, but I adore that skunk. https://youtu.be/OP7k4LXM1rE

Curryong 02-13-2017 10:28 PM

Yes, very short-sighted but utterly adorable!

Countessmeout 02-13-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1960985)
St Patrick's Day with the Irish Guards isn't equivalent to Remembrance Sunday. Someone else will pass out the Shamrocks. Even Charles has missed Remembrance Sunday in the U.K. multiple times in recent years because he was overseas on tours.

Rememberance day us not the supreme event and nothing else matters :ermm:

When it comes to the Irish guards, st Patrick's is an important symbolic event. In the past anyone handed out shamrocks as they didn't have a royal colonel. It's not comparable to Charles missing rememberance day, where he is one of many royals and has no doe if if role.


The game us Saturday afternoon in Paris. William could easily have attended the shamrocks on Friday and been in Paris in plenty of time for the game Saturday.

Right or wrong, with all the bad press they have got for being dork shy/vacations/fun events, it sends the wrong message. To many public, he is skipping an important military ceremony, to jet off to francecto watch a game. One hopes someone in their scheduling and pr department gets on the ball by the time Charles is king, because things like this doesn't help.

Great he is going for his patronage though. And to see them out.

Skippyboo 02-13-2017 11:49 PM

They are doing more than watching a rugby match. They are being sent there by the Foreign Office for a reason. It isn't a vacation. The Irish Guards will still get the Shamrocks.

Rudolph 02-14-2017 06:33 AM

Visiting an important allied country at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office trumps handing out shamrocks any day of the week.

I'm not sure why some critics try and make this event sacrosanct. Why is the Irish Guards parade any more important than other royal events?

Anyone can hand out the shamrocks but only William and Catherine can be in Paris at the request of HM's government.

cepe 02-14-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1961104)
Rememberance day us not the supreme event and nothing else matters :ermm:

When it comes to the Irish guards, st Patrick's is an important symbolic event. In the past anyone handed out shamrocks as they didn't have a royal colonel. It's not comparable to Charles missing rememberance day, where he is one of many royals and has no doe if if role.


The game us Saturday afternoon in Paris. William could easily have attended the shamrocks on Friday and been in Paris in plenty of time for the game Saturday.

Right or wrong, with all the bad press they have got for being dork shy/vacations/fun events, it sends the wrong message. To many public, he is skipping an important military ceremony, to jet off to francecto watch a game. One hopes someone in their scheduling and pr department gets on the ball by the time Charles is king, because things like this doesn't help.

Great he is going for his patronage though. And to see them out.


He is undertaking events in Paris on the Friday. The WRFU invited him to the game on the Saturday - the FO had to be advised of his travel and they requested that he undertake further engagements on the Friday.

As the Princess Royal said in an interview "You can't attend everything"

TLLK 02-14-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1961153)
Visiting an important ally country at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office trumps handing out shamrocks any day of the week.

I'm not sure why some critics try and make this event sacrosanct. Why is the Irish Guards parade any more important than other royal events?

Anyone can hand out the shamrocks but only William and Catherine can be in Paris at the request of HM's government.

Would like to add that the Irish Guards like any other military branch will understand that sometimes things will not go as previously expected because the order that you receive from your C.O. (HM's government) will have to take precedence over another engagement.

MichelleQ2 02-14-2017 11:20 AM

and you never know who may 'stand in' for Cambridge absence. Harry? or ...HM's calendar seems to be open that day - perhaps she will take a turn with the shamrocks and the dog.

muriel 02-14-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 (Post 1961239)
and you never know who may 'stand in' for Cambridge absence. Harry? or ...HM's calendar seems to be open that day - perhaps she will take a turn with the shamrocks and the dog.

It might be Harry or Princess Anne.

Skippyboo 02-14-2017 01:08 PM

Anne is presenting the Cheltenham Gold Cup at the horse races on the 17th and then watching rugby in Scotland the next day. So she is out.

Rudolph 02-14-2017 01:11 PM

It will probably be the guards commanding officer. Easy, peasy. Again there is no rule that says it must a royal.

Pranter 02-14-2017 01:12 PM

Hmmmm so might be Harry...or perhaps one of the Wessexes?


LaRae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises