The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Library (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   "Prince Charles: The Passions & Paradoxes..." by Sally Bedell Smith (2017) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/prince-charles-the-passions-and-paradoxes-by-sally-bedell-smith-2017-a-41327.html)

WreathOfLaurels 09-28-2016 11:23 PM

"Prince Charles: The Passions & Paradoxes..." by Sally Bedell Smith (2017)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/b...dsor/18538341/

Sally Bedell Smith, who is the author of biographies of both the queen and Diana, next planned project is what is being pitched as the "first full biography of the Prince for twenty years". Coming on the heels of Catherine Mayer's study, this should be interesting.

The article posted is about Catherine Mayers book but Smiths volume is mentioned toward the bottom. I found out about this most exciting development via the Goodreads app.

Curryong 09-28-2016 11:56 PM

Thanks for posting this, Laurels. I enjoy Sally's biographies. I'm looking forward to it.

HRHHermione 09-29-2016 12:24 AM

Oh good! Her bios are typically very well sourced and researched

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

WreathOfLaurels 09-29-2016 01:20 AM

I will be interested to see what Bedell Smith's take on Charles. The man seems to be the royal equivalent of a Roarshach test - often the authors view of C says more about themselves.

HRHHermione 09-29-2016 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels (Post 1927744)
I will be interested to see what Bedell Smith's take on Charles. The man seems to be the royal equivalent of a Roarshach test - often the authors view of C says more about themselves.

I think that's true with many royal figures honestly.

I always use Anne Boelyn as an example of how history changes depending on the perspective of the teller- and Anne's story has always been heavily influenced in its telling by the perspective the writer has on women.

WreathOfLaurels 09-29-2016 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1927746)
I think that's true with many royal figures honestly.

I always use Anne Boelyn as an example of how history changes depending on the perspective of the teller- and Anne's story has always been heavily influenced in its telling by the perspective the writer has on women.

Touché :smile:

WreathOfLaurels 09-30-2016 04:52 AM

Prince Charles by Sally Bedell Smith | Books on Tape

WreathOfLaurels 02-24-2017 11:03 PM

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...rince-charles/

An early review of SBS's upcoming PC book

Denville 03-01-2017 03:38 AM

I wasn't impressed by her Diana bio

Osipi 03-01-2017 06:50 AM

I'm currently reading it and haven't formed an opinion on it yet. :biggrin:

ROYAL NORWAY 03-20-2017 01:12 PM

:previous: And here we go again. Nothing new at all.

sthreats 03-20-2017 09:01 PM

How Prince Charles wept over Camilla on the eve of wedding to Diana

https://dailym.ai/2nVZHXz

Ipsi 03-20-2017 09:07 PM

Why do people write things kind of things? If it happened, it's private and no one really needs to know

Nico 03-20-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sthreats (Post 1969642)
How Prince Charles wept over Camilla on the eve of wedding to Diana

Prince Charles wept over Camilla ahead of wedding to Diana | Daily Mail Online

Oh please, are we back in 1992 ?
And still 6 months to go ...

Iluvbertie 03-20-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1969652)

It will only get worse as the anniversary approaches and the Diana fanatics demand that everyone wears sackcloth and ashes and moans and groans about the passing of the Sainted One and that includes demonising Charles and Camilla as the Devil Incarnate.

Fortunately these days most intelligent people have figured out that Diana was the innocent she portrayed herself as and that Charles wasn't quite as evil as Diana would like us to believe.

However the Diana fanatics are a very vocal minority and insist that everyone sees the main players in the same way that they do rather than admit that they were wrong in their interpretation Diana.

Curryong 03-20-2017 10:15 PM

I would hope that Sally Bedell Smith will give a balanced view in her biography of Charles. I liked her biography of Diana in spite of my being a Diana fan. She was fair in pointing out Diana's foibles and faults in that book and I think she will do the same with Charles.

I mainly posted the DM link on this biography because in its usual way the Daily Fail article cherry picks, mistranscribes and sensationalises, which is why I called it their interpretation of this biography. Nevertheless, I've already preordered the book on Kindle and look forward to reading it.

Daenerys Targaryen 03-20-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1969656)
It will only get worse as the anniversary approaches and the Diana fanatics demand that everyone wears sackcloth and ashes and moans and groans about the passing of the Sainted One and that includes demonising Charles and Camilla as the Devil Incarnate.

Fortunately these days most intelligent people have figured out that Diana was the innocent she portrayed herself as and that Charles wasn't quite as evil as Diana would like us to believe.

However the Diana fanatics are a very vocal minority and insist that everyone sees the main players in the same way that they do rather than admit that they were wrong in their interpretation Diana.

I understand that you have strong opinions on this subject, but I think this might be an overstatement.

Katrianna 03-21-2017 12:25 AM

Judging by the DM article, I'm not too impressed and don't plan to read it. Nothing new indeed.

royal rob 03-21-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1969656)

Really is there any need to use language like that . You can have your views of Diana without being rude to others who don't share your view. If you dislike her and as you say it's 20 years why can't you let it go too

MARG 03-21-2017 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1969652)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen (Post 1969664)
I understand that you have strong opinions on this subject, but I think this might be an overstatement.

No Nico, it's not the 1992 separation but the 20th anniversary of the death of Diana that will give rise to this sort of OTT rubbish.

Daenerys Targaryen, you may find Iluvbertie's statement strong but really, after the marriage ended in 1992, are we not all overdue for a little sanity. And here's yet another story . . . Diana smacking Charles around the swede every time he knelt to pray. Really?