The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Grand Duke Jean's 95th Birthday Celebrations: January 9, 2016 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f69/grand-duke-jeans-95th-birthday-celebrations-january-9-2016-a-40039.html)

EMB 12-30-2015 05:05 AM

Grand Duke Jean's 95th Birthday Celebrations: January 9, 2016

Members of the public can join the celebrations for Grand Duke Jean's birthday in 2016 by attending a special concert at the Philharmonie.

Birthday concert on January 9, 2016

EMB 01-05-2016 09:05 AM

Nice story and photos of Grand Duke Jean

Grand Duke Jean at 95

beautiful photogallery of Grand Duke Jean

Le Grand-Duc Jean célèbre aujourd'hui son 95e anniversaire

EMB 01-09-2016 12:11 PM

Homage to "a national hero"

Duc_et_Pair 01-09-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB (Post 1854452)

That is a nice picture of the late Grande-Duchesse Joséphine-Charlotte. Often she had such a stern look on pictures but this one is nice. Also the Grand-Duc in his impeccable classic countryside suit looked perfect.

Stefan 01-09-2016 01:56 PM

On rtl.lu they have the guestlist for the Concert today. Apart from all children and grandchidlren also Queen Sofia, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium, Princess Beatrix, King Constantin II. and Queen Anne-Marie, Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath and Princess Irene of Greece will attend.
RTL.lu - People - All d'Kanner an Enkelkanner den Owend mat derbäi

eya 01-09-2016 02:00 PM

Fantastic. Nice surprise so royals gathered and big Greek presence surprised me.

Duc_et_Pair 01-09-2016 03:17 PM

It is nice that the former Chef of the House Orange-Nassau visits this special birthday of the former Chef of the House Nassau.

Picture: in 1990 the Chef of the House Nassau welcomed the Chef of the House Orange-Nassau to celebrate that 100 years ago the Grand-Duchy went from the one branch of the dynasty (Orange-Nassau) to the other branch (Nassau).

Blog Real 01-09-2016 03:27 PM

Is there any link to see the ceremony live?

Duc_et_Pair 01-09-2016 03:39 PM

P
Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 1854472)
Fantastic. Nice surprise so royals gathered and big Greek presence surprised me.

Queen Anne-Marie and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte were cousins. The mother of Anne-Marie was Princess Ingrid of Sweden. The mother of Joséphine-Charlotte was Princess Astrid of Sweden. On this picture you see the later Queen of Italy and the later Queen of Denmark as bridesmaids to King Léopold III and Queen Astrid.

Princess Astrid would become mother of two Kings and a Grand-Duchess. Queen Ingrid would become mother to two Queens and a Fürstin. Those were the days. It was still fun to follow royals because everything was connected to everything.

:flowers:

Duke of Marmalade 01-09-2016 03:42 PM

The GD looks great for his age!!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYTR4cGWYAAyleS.jpg

Sofia is too much center stage for my taste.

Lumutqueen 01-09-2016 03:42 PM

https://twitter.com/Patrickvkatwijk/...03814298316800

Group picture.

Marika86 01-09-2016 04:29 PM

More pics

Belga Image

SydneyLux 01-09-2016 04:54 PM

Luxarazzi : Family and Royal Guests Celebrate 95th Birthday of Grand Duke Jean

Luxarazzi : Birthday Concert for Grand Duke Jean

Luxarazzi : Guest List for Grand Duke Jean's Birthday Concert

HereditaryPrincess 01-09-2016 07:24 PM

I love the group photo! It's always nice to see the European royals together. I would've liked to have seen a British representative there but a couple of other countries are missing, so it's not like they're the only ones who didn't go.

Marengo 01-09-2016 08:12 PM

A pity that King Albert II and Queen Paola could not make it, though it is nice that their son attended with Queen Mathilde. I suppose the sisters of GD Jean were also not well enough to attend and were represented by one daughter each.

Happy birthday to the Grand Duke!

An Ard Ri 01-09-2016 08:37 PM

Its a pity that neither of his 2 remaining sisters could make it,but given their age that is understandable.

All in all a lovely royal gathering!

SydneyLux 01-09-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1854539)
A pity that King Albert II and Queen Paola could not make it, though it is nice that their son attended with Queen Mathilde. I suppose the sisters of GD Jean were also not well enough to attend and were represented by one daughter each.

Princess Anne de Ligne and Countess Antonia of Holstein-Ledreborg are goddaughters of Grand Duke Jean and were thus present at the palais. There were also others, such as Princes Sophie of Hohenberg e.g., present for the concert.

EMB 01-10-2016 04:43 AM

Grand Duke Jean celebrated his 95th birthday Saturday night with a concert at the Philharmonie with family, royals and members of the public in attendance.

Royals celebrate Grand Duke Jean's birthday

EMB 01-10-2016 05:06 AM

More photo's of the celebration

All d'Kanner an Enkelkanner e Samschdeg den Owend mat derbäi

Duc_et_Pair 01-10-2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1854529)
I love the group photo! It's always nice to see the European royals together. I would've liked to have seen a British representative there but a couple of other countries are missing, so it's not like they're the only ones who didn't go.

It is pretty much family and good friends:
Philippe of Belgium = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Anne-Marie of the Hellenes = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Sofía of Spain = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Irene of Greece = cousin of the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Beatrix of the Netherlands = former Chef of the House of Orange-Nassau (Jean is the former Chef of the House Nassau)
Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath = they maintain warm relations with almost all royal families