The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-king-and-queen-of-spain-july-12-14-2017-a-39744.html)

Muhler 03-31-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1972712)
Will be a good conversation starter at the state banquet ...

:lol:

Yeah, but it wouldn't be that difficult to make things unbearable for Gibraltar. Just cut the power, close the crossings, close the water supply, ban flights to Gibraltar from crossing EU airspace and close the trade.
Within a few months, Britain would be forced to agree to a humiliating settlement. - So no one would be so foolish as to even contemplate military force.

The Gibraltar issue is nothing but teasing and stirring the mainly British public, because outside Spain, I doubt anyone else in EU care one hoot about Gibraltar.

lula 03-31-2017 05:33 PM

All the protagonists of this story know perfectly the situation, no matter how much political noise they want to make now. But one thing is the nationalist propaganda, and another the reality that affects the daily life of the citizens.

90% of the citizens of Gibraltar voted against Brexit, and they knew what they were voting. They want to remain part of the UK, but at the same time they know that their economic survival without presence in the European Union is difficult. UK wants to close borders, but Gibraltar needs free movement of citizens with Spain. They enjoyed being British when that supposed to live much better than the Spaniards, but after the Brexit will be difficult to maintain that privileged existence. If Gibraltar wants the best of two worlds, it will have to give in to something.

It would be foolish for Spain to accept having a border with all kinds of special advantages (including many tax advantages) without saying anything. And the proposal of Spain, is to open negotiations that allow Gibraltar to have the best of two worlds.

Theresa May did not mention Gibraltar in her letter to the EU. Economic interests and the transfer of citizens make Spain one of the best allies for the United Kingdom in the negotiations with the European Union. Both countries have many common interests and Gibraltar is an obstacle. The position of Gibraltar is even facing that of hundreds of thousands of Birtanians living in Spain, and for whom obtaining dual citizenship of both countries would be a solution.

wbenson 04-18-2017 06:25 AM

Well, it's looking like the Spanish state visit is going to have to be postponed again. Assuming the PM gets the votes for it in Parliament, there is going to be a general election on the 8th of June. I can't imagine the visit would happen during a campaign at all, let alone at the very end of it.

Duke of Marmalade 04-18-2017 07:21 AM

I guess this will have impact on the planned state visit to UK??

Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lection-8-june

ANNIE_S 04-18-2017 07:41 AM

:previous: It will most likely be postponed again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a strange timing...

Duke of Marmalade 04-18-2017 07:54 AM

are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....

Blog Real 04-18-2017 07:57 AM

Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...

ANNIE_S 04-18-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1977306)
are there any reactions in spain? to put the election on this specific date can be seen as a polite un-invitation by the government, the timing being not good with all the brexit/gibraltar talk....

Yeah, that was what I thought too :lol:

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

An Ard Ri 04-18-2017 08:09 AM

I hope its not postponed yet again!

cepe 04-18-2017 08:15 AM

Parliament have to agree to this election - probably a vote tomorrow. Need 7/8 weeks notice.

Politically its an interesting move but I would say that Parliament will agree and the royal visit will be postponed

Duke of Marmalade 04-18-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNIE_S (Post 1977313)
Yeah, that was what I thought too :lol:

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

:previous:;)
there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8 :rolleyes:
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.

Mbruno 04-18-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNIE_S (Post 1977304)
:previous: It will most likely be postponed again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a strange timing...

The Spanish State Visit will have to be postponed as it was originally scheduled for June 6-8 and June 8 will be election day.

ANNIE_S 04-18-2017 08:30 AM

King and Queen's visit on the air after the announcement of early elections on UK

El anuncio de adelanto electoral en Reino Unido deja en el aire la visita de Estado de los Reyes

Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Quote:

Receiving the visit of a foreign leader to boost the bilateral relationship between Spain and UK in the middle of Brexit negotiation would not match well with the expected neutrality of the British Government in such moments.

Dman 04-18-2017 08:30 AM

I think it's pretty silly to call an election during the time of an official state visit is scheduled to occur. Rather inconsiderate, imo.

Mbruno 04-18-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1977321)
:previous:;)
there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8 :rolleyes:
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.

The US state visit in the fall is pretty safe as long as Mrs May is reelected with a bigger majority, which is the most likely scenario at the moment. Elections can be unpredictable though. If there is a change of government, then the US visit may be also in doubt.

Nico 04-18-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog Real (Post 1977310)
Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...

For me it's not strange but perfectly deliberate (Gibraltar, if you know what i mean :whistling:).

Duke of Marmalade 04-18-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1977334)
For me it's not strange but perfectly deliberate (Gibraltar, if you know what i mean :whistling:).

it's called 'to kill two birds with one stone' :whistling:

carlota 04-18-2017 09:43 AM

i very much doubt theresa may was trying to be uninviting to felipe and letizia and their visit. she has more important things in her head right now than their state visit. it probably was a suitable time for some reason in the UK political calendar and in the EU's political calendar so that they can get on with their desired brexit without delays. delaying or not the visit is probably the least of may's problems at this point.

Fürstin Taxis 04-18-2017 09:55 AM

I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.

Nico 04-18-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis (Post 1977348)
I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.

Of course we see her ! This visit has been a needle in the foot for the post-Brexit government. How convenient to call a general election the very same day !
It's bordeline offensive for the Spaniards if you ask me ...