The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-king-and-queen-of-spain-july-12-14-2017-a-39744.html)

wbenson 12-03-2015 11:10 AM

State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

https://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...enofSpain.aspx

King Felipe VI, accompanied by Queen Letizia of Spain, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 8th to 10th March 2016.

The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Windsor Castle.

wyevale 12-03-2015 11:19 AM

Hurrah ! They will be MOST welcome.

No downgrading to 'Lounge suits & Short Dresses' for our State Banquets...

Dman 12-03-2015 11:20 AM

Very exciting news. Thank God there will be a new royal State Visit to the UK! Been waiting for something like this like forever.

muriel 12-03-2015 11:36 AM

Look forward to it. I would have thought that Spain would have hosted this visit.

Stefan 12-03-2015 11:45 AM

Interesting that it will be again a State Visit based at Windsor Castle. Wasn't that also the case for the State Visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the UK?

wartenberg7 12-03-2015 11:47 AM

Finally (!!!) a monarchy/ monarchy state visit once more!

Marengo 12-03-2015 11:47 AM

They also used it for the French state visit IIRC. Since the roof of the dining room in Buckingham palace is unsafe I suppose they don't have another option either.

But a nice thing to look forward to. Hopefully we will see the Fleur-de-Lys on Queen Letizia.

Tilia C. 12-03-2015 11:54 AM

The banqueting hall in Windsor is absolutely beautiful, so I'm glad to see it again. I didn't know that the roof in BP was unsafe. They just had a banquet there for China, so it can't be too dangerous?

Anyway, this is going to be a major event to look forward to. Let's hope to see both the PoW/DoCo and the Cambridges. And some bigger tiaras for Queen Letizis, I don't mind it she wears the fleur-de-lys or one of the two Cartier tiaras.

Bine221 12-03-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1844338)
The banqueting hall in Windsor is absolutely beautiful, so I'm glad to see it again. I didn't know that the roof in BP was unsafe. They just had a banquet there for China, so it can't be too dangerous?

Anyway, this is going to be a major event to look forward to. Let's hope to see both the PoW/DoCo and the Cambridges. And some bigger tiaras for Queen Letizia, I don't mind it she wears the fleur-de-lys or one of the two Cartier tiaras.

Yeah, finally a big tiara for Queen Letizia! Looking forward to how it will suit her and how she will look like :flowers::flowers::flowers:!
Bye Bine

JR76 12-03-2015 12:06 PM

State visit by the King and Queen of Spain: March 8-10, 2016

That the State visit is based at Windsor has more to do with that the Queen is traditionally based there a month every spring during her "Easter court" than the state of the roof of the dining room at Buckingham palace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

ANNIE_S 12-03-2015 12:18 PM

Terrific news indeed! Not unexpected since rumours had been published already, but I didn't expected any official confirmation until we would get the new government in office later this month. So it's great the official news come from the UK and we don't have to speculate longer :biggrin:

What was the last time that a monarch paid a State Visit to the UK? It's sure a long time since the Spanish royals paid a State Visit to another monarchy, and obviously it's the first one for F&L :smile:

Let's hope Queen Leti will bring along the big guns and we get to see the Cambridges there too. So much to look foward to! :clap:

muriel 12-03-2015 12:23 PM

I think the last incoming royal state visit to the UK was on 2005 when the Norwegians visited and Camilla had her first tiara outing, with the Delhi Durbar

ROYAL NORWAY 12-03-2015 12:33 PM

From The British monarchy twitter account.

King Felipe VI - as Crown Prince - welcomes The Queen to Spain in 1988
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVUEcX5WoAEDpn-.jpg

Tilia C. 12-03-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANNIE_S (Post 1844345)
Terrific news indeed! Not unexpected since rumours had been published already, but I didn't expected any official confirmation until we would get the new government in office later this month. So it's great the official news come from the UK and we don't have to speculate longer :biggrin:

What was the last time that a monarch paid a State Visit to the UK? It's sure a long time since the Spanish royals paid a State Visit to another monarchy, and obviously it's the first one for F&L :smile:

Let's hope Queen Leti will bring along the big guns and we get to see the Cambridges there too. So much to look foward to! :clap:

From the announcement on the British website:
Quote:

Background
The last State Visit from Spain was by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia in 1986.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh paid a State Visit to Spain in 1988.

About time! It's been nearly 30 years!
I hope that the Cambridges will be regulars at the State Banquets from now on. But the Pow and DoCo will probably also attend, so that we won't see so much of the Cambridges. :sad:
Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1844349)
I think the last incoming royal state visit to the UK was on 2005 when the Norwegians visited and Camilla had her first tiara outing, with the Delhi Durbar

Wouldn't it be amazing if Camilla unpacked the Delhi Durbar once more for this occasion?

eya 12-03-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1844359)
From The British monarchy twitter account.

King Felipe VI - as Crown Prince - welcomes The Queen to Spain in 1988
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVUEcX5WoAEDpn-.jpg

WONDERFUL NEWS!! Thanks for this picture. Amazing. How times change:smile:

An Ard Ri 12-03-2015 12:50 PM

Exciting news and I bet a lot of fellow royal watchers will be watching to see what tiara Letizia will be wearing!

TheRoyalCourtisane 12-03-2015 12:57 PM

Yeah I am dancing. We get to see a 2 different generations/relatives of Sovereign heads, tiaras worn at the dinner banquet, their Majesties and Royal Highnesses fashion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1844369)
Exciting news and I bet a lot of fellow royal watchers will be watching to see what tiara Letizia will be wearing!

I will like to see her wear the Fleur-de-Lys Tiara or borrow Queen Sofia's pearl and diamond loop tiara

linda85 12-03-2015 01:07 PM

I hope this doesn't conflict with the Cambridge tour of India. I would love to see William and Catherine at the State Banquet for the King and Queen of Spain.

Mbruno 12-03-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 1844315)

https://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...enofSpain.aspx

King Felipe VI, accompanied by Queen Letizia of Spain, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 8th to 10th March 2016.

The King and Queen of Spain will stay at Windsor Castle.

That was widely expected, and now it's official. The British government wants to ease tensions with Spain over Gibraltar and a State Visit might help.

I am curious if Charles will attend the State Banquet. If the gossip we have been hearing about on TRF is true, he feels unease around "young monarchs" and tries to avoid being with them in official events. Unlike the President of China, however, it'll be hard for the PoW to find an excuse not to attend a dinner in honor of the King of Spain.

GömdNatt 12-03-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1844349)

although it had the appearance of a state visit, that was simply classified as an Official Visit.

The last State Visit I can think of was Denmark in 2000, I believe. (although technically Qatar & UAE are monarchies)

ROYAL NORWAY 12-03-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1844387)
That was widely expected, and now it's official. The British government wants to ease tensions with Spain over Gibraltar and a State Visit might help.

I am curious if Charles will attend the State Banquet. If the gossip we have been hearing about on TRF is true, he feels unease around "young monarchs" and tries to avoid being with them in official events. Unlike the President of China, however, it'll be hard for the PoW to find an excuse not to attend a dinner in honor of the King of Spain.

This is just nonsense and sounds like gossip from the fails Sebastian Shakespeare or Ephraim Hardcastle etc.

GömdNatt 12-03-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1844399)
This is just nonsense and sounds like gossip from the fails Sebastian Shakespeare or Ephraim Hardcastle etc.

agreed. Charles did, after all, attend Felipe & Leti's wedding. And Charles & Camilla visited Spain and seemed quite at ease with Felipe & Leti. Oh and he invited them to his 60th birthday celebrations.

Dman 12-03-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linda85 (Post 1844377)
I hope this doesn't conflict with the Cambridge tour of India. I would love to see William and Catherine at the State Banquet for the King and Queen of Spain.

I was thinking about that. We don't know their Indian tour schedule yet, so hopefully the State Visit and Indian tour won't clash. If so, well there will be another State Visit in the fall, but I'm hoping they will make it to the Spanish State Visit.

Marengo 12-03-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1844338)

Apparently it was discovered recently during a routine check:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1843593

But as the article says: there are more than enough rooms left in the palace that can be used instead. So JR76's explanation is the most likely one.

Skippyboo 12-03-2015 02:21 PM

The ikon picture guy on Twitter when the tour was announced said the Cambridge's India tour was in April. It doesn't make sense to book 2 high profile events during the same time frame. Even with the Irish State Visit and WKG in NZ, you had a big time difference so they could do the arrival in NZ and then the Queen had the spotlight for the state banquet and the Cambridges had a rest day the next day so there wasn't something to bump the Queen/Irish visit off the papers

The visiting country picks if they want it all BP or Windsor. The Irish visit was at Windsor in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Stefan 12-03-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1844408)
Apparently it was discovered recently during a routine check:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1843593

But as the article says: there are more than enough rooms left in the palace that can be used instead. So JR76's explanation is the most likely one.

The room mentioned in the article is not the one where State Banquets are taking place. They are in the Ballroom.

Mbruno 12-03-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GömdNatt (Post 1844402)
agreed. Charles did, after all, attend Felipe & Leti's wedding. And Charles & Camilla visited Spain and seemed quite at ease with Felipe & Leti. Oh and he invited them to his 60th birthday celebrations.

Yes, but Felipe wasn't the king of Spain back then. He was the heir to throne just like Charles. Now, he outranks the PoW.

BTW, I'm not saying I believe the rumor. I'm just saying that has been posted before on TRF . I believe it was a newspaper article posted to the "The Windsors and Europe" thread, but I'm not sure.

GömdNatt 12-03-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1844428)
Yes, but Felipe wasn't the king of Spain back then. He was the heir to throne just like Charles. Now, he outranks the PoW.

BTW, I'm not saying I believe the rumor. I'm just saying that has been posted before on TRF . I believe it was a newspaper article posted to the "The Windsors and Europe" thread, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, Charles has an already established relationship with Felipe, Philippe, & Willem. Them being King doesn't change much, besides that they outrank him. Charles is old enough and mature enough now to understand its just how things work. He might feel a pang, but I'm sure, based on his attitude in the past few years, that he's not uneasy at all.

Baseless rumors that have no fact to back them up.

An Ard Ri 12-03-2015 03:38 PM

From the BBC

King of Spain to make UK state visit - BBC News

ROYAL NORWAY 12-03-2015 03:42 PM

State visits by constitutional monarchs from democratic countries to the UK in the Queen's reign.

1954 - Sweden

1962 - Norway

1963 - Belgium

1971 - Japan

1972 - The Netherlands, Luxembourg

1974 - Denmark

1975 - Sweden

1982 - The Netherlands

1986 - Spain

1988 - Norway

1994 - Norway

1998 - Japan

2000 - Denmark

2005 - Norway (Official visit)
Norway celebrated its 100th year of independence in 2005, and as part of the celebrations, the Norwegian royal family came to the UK for an official visit in October. Queen Maud, the first queen consort of the independent Norway, was (as we know) the daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, making the trip a perfect highlight for this special year.

I don't really understand why this trip was called an Official Visit. We had all the state visit rituals including a carriage procession, a state banquet etc. The only thing that was different was that the Queen received the Norwegian royal family at Buckingham Palace and not at the Horse Guards Parade where they were received by Princess Anne and Timothy Laurence before they traveled together in the Australian State Coach and Scottish State Coach.

JR76 12-03-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GömdNatt (Post 1844448)
Regardless, Charles has an already established relationship with Felipe, Philippe, & Willem. Them being King doesn't change much, besides that they outrank him. Charles is old enough and mature enough now to understand its just how things work. He might feel a pang, but I'm sure, based on his attitude in the past few years, that he's not uneasy at all.

Baseless rumors that have no fact to back them up.

Don't forget that even if he dreams of the day he becomes king it would also be the day he looses his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Terri Terri 12-03-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1844387)

:lol::lol::bang:Well, there can always be an official visit overseas or a planned engagement elsewhere!!!!:whistling::whistling:JUST KIDDING!!:biggrin:
I remember when Charles, Diana and the boys spent some of their summer vacations with the Spanish royals, so there appears to be a closeness between the two families at least.

I wonder how come the newest European reigning couple - the King and Queen of Spain - received a state visit invitation before the reigning couples of the Netherlands or Belgium. Is it because of the closer family ties?

Stefan 12-03-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terri Terri (Post 1844471)
:lol::lol::bang:Well, there can always be an official visit overseas or a planned engagement elsewhere!!!!:whistling::whistling:JUST KIDDING!!:biggrin:
I remember when Charles, Diana and the boys spent some of their summer vacations with the Spanish royals, so there appears to be a closeness between the two families at least.

I wonder how come the newest European reigning couple - the King and Queen of Spain - received a state visit invitation before the reigning couples of the Netherlands or Belgium. Is it because of the closer family ties?

Probaly it are political reasons. After all it is the goverment who decides who should be invited for a State Visit. Most likely for them Spain is more important then the Netherlands or Belgium. But a Belgium State Visit is overdue seeing that the last one was in 1963. And then State Visit of the Queen to Belgium was a a few years later so it is almost 50 years since the last State Visit between the 2 countries.

Skippyboo 12-03-2015 04:08 PM

Plus with the royal wedding, diamond jubilee and Olympics, a lot of the foreign roles have been to the UK recently. A lot of times its for economical reasons that the UK picks who to come visit. Look at the China visit, it was heavy on the trade and investment events.

lula 12-03-2015 04:20 PM

In addition to political or economic reasons, UK and Spain celebrate in 2016 the 400th anniversary of the death of Shakespeare and Cervantes, so probably the visit will have much cultural content.

Terri Terri 12-03-2015 04:21 PM

I just thought of another reason, with the possibility that the United Kingdom MAY exit the EU, now is the time to start strengthening individual relationships with European countries. And as one of the largest countries in Europe, Spain would be a good start. On the other hand, Spain's economy would benefit from investments from British business interests. So, the benefits are great for both countries.

PrincessofEurope 12-03-2015 05:45 PM

Very much looking forward to this visit from Felipe and Letizia - definitely a highlight of 2016 in terms of royal watching. Monarch to Monarch are always the best type of state visits. Eagerly waiting for the agenda to be released closer to the time

Marty91charmed 12-03-2015 05:50 PM

I very much looking forward to this visit too! Finally!

Jacknch 12-03-2015 05:57 PM

I'm thrilled to hear this news and really looking forward to seeing the King and Queen of Spain here in the UK! I suspect this will be very well covered by the British media as the Spanish Royal Family is one of the more well known by people here in our kingdom!

I'm happy the event will be hosted at Windsor Castle and I really don't mind who attends the State Banquet - the main thing is that it's a state visit from Spain and it has been a very long time coming!

cepe 12-03-2015 06:07 PM

This is great news. All visits by a Head of State are state visits, whether a monarchy or not; and all are at the "request" of government t. Would love to know the gov.thinking behind this visit. Time will tell.

Regarding the venue - for many yrs the majority of Spring State visits are based at Windsor because that is where the Court is based. Autumn visits normally based at BP. The venue has nothing to do with building issues as we've known about this visit for weeks, long before the problems came to light.

As for whether William and Catherine will be there, this Is diary dependent - Charles diary as well as theirs. He takes priority and unless he has other engagements he will be there. And they might be in India.

iM hoping for the tiaras and (please) better pictures of state banquets at Windsor than usual. They are usually awful.

ROYAL NORWAY 12-03-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1844527)
I'm thrilled to hear this news and really looking forward to seeing the King and Queen of Spain here in the UK! I suspect this will be very well covered by the British media as the Spanish Royal Family is one of the more well known by people here in our kingdom!

I'm happy the event will be hosted at Windsor Castle and I really don't mind who attends the State Banquet - the main thing is that it's a state visit from Spain and it has been a very long time coming!

I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

Skippyboo 12-03-2015 06:27 PM

But it's not like if Charles & Camilla attend then the Cambridges can't. W&K just would be further away from the Queen, Philip, King and Queen.

Mbruno 12-03-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terri Terri (Post 1844471)

Philippe of Belgium and Felipe VI of Spain are both third cousins once removed to Queen Elizabeth II. Willem Alexander is a much more distant relative (fifth cousin once removed ?).

Personally, I think a Belgian state visit should have priority as the last one was in 1963 and neither King Albert II nor King Philippe have been made Knights of the Garter. However, as QEII herself said, state visits are very political these days and Belgium doesn't seem to be a priority country for the UK government.

In the case of Spain specifically, i believe a desire to ease tensions over the Gibraltar dispute may be one of the motivations behind this state visit, although I don't personally think it will change anything in terms of the positions of Spain and the UK on that particular issue.

Mirabel 12-03-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1844533)
This is great news. All visits by a Head of State are state visits, whether a monarchy or not; and all are at the "request" of government t. Would love to know the gov.thinking behind this visit. Time will tell.

Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?

cepe 12-03-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1844549)
Which government?
The British, or the visitor's?

In the final analysis - both. The one that got cancelled (cant remember date) is because a political row blew up over Gibraltar.

No state visit is about inviting individuals - its always about politics.

Ceremonial visits, ie new Kings and Queens coming to meet another Monarch are different.

If there was another row, then this could be cancelled.

Skippyboo 12-03-2015 08:35 PM

It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

cepe 12-03-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1844557)
It's the British government that offers the invitation. The Spanish accepted it. We saw this when William went to China, he delivered the invite for the Chinese President to come to UK. It's in the Queen's name but it's the government who makes the decision.

The same when the Queen goes on a outward state visit, she needs a invite first and then the UK government is going to say yes or no except when it's a realm like Canada. Then Canada is inviting it's Queen to come visit and they pay for it.

that is the "public" face. Its all decided long before the invitation is formally given. No government risks a snub

carlota 12-03-2015 09:01 PM

i can't wait for this - amazing news. i hope letizia goes all out for this grand state visit!

Mirabel 12-03-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1844539)
I hope you're right, but I don't think it will be much coverage.

Papers - Not much with the exception of the mail/fail.

Television - The BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China.

It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up! :lol:

ROYAL NORWAY 12-04-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1844567)
It might get more coverage if it happens that William and Kate attend.
That would serve to promote interest outside the UK and Spain.

(Bonus points if Harry shows up! :lol:

Television - Maybe outside the UK, but not inside the country. As I said in my post above, the BBC, ITV, SKY etc isn't interested in state visits with the exception of visits from the US and China. If they show anything at all, it will just be some clips of the Queen's speech at the state banquet.

Papers - The Fail, Express, and maybe the Telegraph may have pictures of Kate on their front pages to show her with a tiara or show her dress.

Papers websites - The Mail will have a lot of pictures as they usually have when it's state visits and will along with the other papers be interested in the Gibraltar issue and if the Queen and Felipe mentions it in their speeches.

Royal events the UK television/papers have been very interested in since 2000.

2000 - The Queen Mother's 100th birthday

2001 - The Queen Mother in hospital

2002 - Princess Margaret death (a bit)

2002 - The Queen Mother's death and funeral

2002 - The Queen's Golden Jubilee

2003 - The Queen in hospital two times january and
december

2003 - US state visit to the UK

2005 - Charles and Camilla's wedding

2005 - Chinese state visit to UK

2006 - The Queen's 80th birthday

2008 - Philip in hospital

2010 - William and Kate's engagement

2011 - William and Kate's wedding

2011 - The Queen's state visit to Ireland

2011 - US state visit to the UK

2011 - Philip in hospital

2012 - The Queen's Diamond Jubilee

2012 - Philip in hospital two times june and august

2012 - Kate's pregnancy

2013 - The Queen in Hospital

2013 - Philip in Hospital

2013 - George's birth

2014 - Irish state visit to the UK (not as much as the state visits from US and China)

2014 - Kate's pregnancy

2015 - Charlotte's birth

2015 - The Queen becoming the longest reigning
monarch in British history

2015 - Chinese state visit to UK

The next big royal television/papers event will be the Queen's 90th birthday next year.

Tilia C. 12-04-2015 10:11 AM

There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.

ROYAL NORWAY 12-04-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1844732)
There was live coverage of the Chinese State Banquet on the internet, but I don't know if it was on tv as well. But if the Spanish visit will have live coverage on the internet as well, that will be something to look forward to. Has it been done before with a Windsor banquet? I forgot what it was like at the Irish visit.

1 - As I wrote above, the media was very interested in the visit, and I can tell you that BBC News Channel/Sky News covered the whole visit.

2 - No it hasn't, but if the US or Chinese state visits had taken place at Windsor it would have been done.

Stefan 12-04-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1844732)

Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.

Jacknch 12-04-2015 11:55 AM

I'm not sure about live coverage of the State Banquet, it's more likely for this State Visit than other ones but probably not as likely as the Irish State Visit (which was covered throughout the days too) or the Chinese one if that makes sense.

ROYAL NORWAY 12-04-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1844753)
Yes for the Irish Staqte Visit there live coverange in the Internet for the State Banquet. At last for the procession.

Oh, I forgot the Irish state visit to the UK and you are right, it was live coverage from Windsor on the internet. I think it was from RTÉ, and it was much coverage in the irish media/press. It was covered pretty well in the UK too, but I don't remember if the state banquet/the Queen and President's speech was sent live on UK television.

Mbruno 12-04-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1844557)

Who decides though who should attend the State Banquet ? In President Xi's case, I imagine the British government may have explicitly asked for Prince William's presence, but I can't see why they would make the same request in the case of King Felipe VI.

It would be highly unusual if Prince Charles, as the heir to the throne, did not attend a banquet in honor of a fellow European monarch. So, unless he has an excuse like not being in the UK on the day of the banquet, or being ill, I suppose it is a given that Charles and Camilla will be there. I am not so sure about William and Catherine though.

As someone mentioned, Charles has known D. Felipe since Felipe was still a teenager. However, by the same token, one could argue that Felipe has known William since William was a little boy, see the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8ed19KIac

ROYAL NORWAY 12-04-2015 12:41 PM

Charles and Camilla - If they are in the UK they will be there.

William and Kate - I don't know. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.

muriel 12-04-2015 12:46 PM

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet

Tilia C. 12-04-2015 12:58 PM

I think that the chances that the Cambridges attend the banquet will be about 50/50. Now that they had their debut at the Chinese vist, so to speak, they will most likely continue with attending some of the banquets in the future. Imo the Spanish visit will be important enough to warrant a large attendance.

ROYAL NORWAY 12-04-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1844791)
I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the stare banquet

I would be surprised if William and Catherine attended the state banquet too, but as I wrote above, I don't know if they will be there or not. I hope they will be there, but it's not a problem for me if they are not.

Skippyboo 12-04-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1844776)
Who decides though who should attend the State Banquet ? In President Xi's case, I imagine the British government may have explicitly asked for Prince William's presence, but I can't see why they would make the same request in the case of King Felipe VI.

It would be highly unusual if Prince Charles, as the heir to the throne, did not attend a banquet in honor of a fellow European monarch. So, unless he has an excuse like not being in the UK on the day of the banquet, or being ill, I suppose it is a given that Charles and Camilla will be there. I am not so sure about William and Catherine though.

As someone mentioned, Charles has known D. Felipe since Felipe was still a teenager. However, by the same token, one could argue that Felipe has known William since William was a little boy, see the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8ed19KIac

It's the British. The visiting country has a set list of people who they are bringing as their official delegation. Say 20 people and the total number of people that can attend is 100 for easy math. The British will have their usual people such as the PM, some cabinet members, Archbishop of Canterbury, Speaker of the commons, etc. Say 30 people. The Queen's private secretary probably get in touch with the other royals private secretaries to see who is free and I would think the Queen decides who is coming. 15 more. Then the rest people who the government decides to invite a lot of times prominent expats of the country involved, business leaders, people that the visiting country may find interesting. There are also backup people invited usually from the royal household who are there to fill a seat if needed.

With the Cambridges, we don't know if China was a one off or are they going to be a more constant presence at State visits and dinners.

Dman 12-04-2015 01:14 PM

I think if the Cambridge's not on tour during State Visit and don't have any away engagements during the time, I would expect them to attend the State Banquet. Don't make much sense for them (as senior royals) to attend one banquet and then just stop attending others. I think by the events they've attended this year, they are stepping up their official roles.

carlota 12-04-2015 01:34 PM

seeing this is a state visit by a foreign european monarch, i do hope william and kate will attend, although somehow i doubt it.

Nico 12-04-2015 03:11 PM

The China banquet was exceptional as Charles and Camilla were not there. Will and Kate were sent, basically, as replacement for a diplomatic purpose.
I dont expect them to attend if C&C are in town.
Wait and see (and by march this thread will have about 110 pages).

Glad to see a long awaited European royal visit (not seen since 2005 and the Norwegian one if i'm not mistaken).

Blog Real 12-04-2015 04:10 PM

I hope William and Kate take part at the banquet in honor of the Kings of Spain.

carlota 12-04-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1844844)
The China banquet was exceptional as Charles and Camilla were not there. Will and Kate were sent, basically, as replacement for a diplomatic purpose.
I dont expect them to attend if C&C are in town.
Wait and see (and by march this thread will have about 110 pages).

Glad to see a long awaited European royal visit (not seen since 2005 and the Norwegian one if i'm not mistaken).

the last state visit by European royals was indeed the norwegian visit in 2005, but since there have been a number of visits by foreign royals from arabic countries: in 2013, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, in 2012, Kuwait, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, in 2010 the Emir of the State of Qatar and Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned.

other recent royal visits included Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik of Denmark visited in 2000 and Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan in 1998.

Duc_et_Pair 12-04-2015 04:37 PM

Incoming royal State Visits usually attract a larger attendance of members of a royal family than "normal" State Visits. It would not surprise me to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge being part of the banquet.

Look at this example. From the left to the right:
HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother
Unknown gentleman
HRH The Prince of the Netherlands
HM The Queen of the United Kingdom
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HM The Queen of the Netherlands
Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
The Hon. Angus Ogilvy

Dman 12-04-2015 04:44 PM

I hope the Cambridge's attend too. There's room for Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine to attend State Banquets. It shouldn't be an either-or situation.

LauraS3514 12-05-2015 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1844883)
Incoming royal State Visits usually attract a larger attendance of members of a royal family than "normal" State Visits. It would not surprise me to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge being part of the banquet.

Look at this example. From the left to the right:
HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother
Unknown gentleman
HRH The Prince of the Netherlands
HM The Queen of the United Kingdom
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HM The Queen of the Netherlands
Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
The Hon. Angus Ogilvy

The "unknown gentleman" next to Prince Richard of Gloucester (not yet The Duke) is his older brother Prince William of Gloucester, who died in 1972.

Duc_et_Pair 12-05-2015 03:18 AM

Ah I stand corrected. Thanks!

GömdNatt 12-05-2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1844885)
I hope the Cambridge's attend too. There's room for Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine to attend State Banquets. It shouldn't be an either-or situation.

exactly. We see plenty of royals attend (though we don't always get a glimpse of them), so it's not out of the realm to expect W&K to attend even if C&C do.

ANNIE_S 01-16-2016 07:16 AM

Spanish newspaper El Mundo has today an article regarding the upcoming State Visit. Actually, it's mostly dedicated to Windsor Castle where F&L will be hosted, but also has a couple of new informations, I think:

Quote:

Both Royal Houses and embassies finalize preparations for a stay that has regulated planned events such as the meeting with Prime Minister David Cameron, but this time also include a joint celebration of the fourth centenary of the two literary greats British and Spanish, William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes.
Quote:

In any case, the image of the trip will be given by the rare encounter of the two crowns, that the royal family seems ready to topple. In addition to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, who returned the visit to the former kings of Spain in 1988, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornualles and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will accompany Don Felipe and Doña Letizia. Not even a complete meeting under Windsor walls is out of the plan.
Isabel II alojará a los Reyes en Windsor | loc | EL MUNDO
Translation

Rudolph 01-16-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

The visit by the Spanish Royal family to the United Kingdom, scheduled for March, will celebrate and strengthen the ties between both countries.

This according to the British Ambassador in Madrid, Simon Manley, who highlighted the existing co-operation between the law enforcement agencies in Spain and Gibraltar.
Read more: UK confident of positive side for Gibraltar of Spanish royal family visit to UK — MercoPress

Duke of Marmalade 01-28-2016 09:48 AM

Rajoy planea un viaje de Estado a Londres con los reyes pese a estar en funciones

This visit could be postponed too since there is critizism about Rajoy travelling to London with the Kings while it is uncertain if he remains in office.

Duke of Marmalade 01-30-2016 12:55 PM

State Visit in doubt due to political problems/government formation in Spain

PSOE wants the King to postpone the visit to UK

El viaje de los reyes al Reino Unido, "en la nevera"

Blog Real 01-30-2016 02:06 PM

I hope that the visit is not postponed.
The political crisis is not known how long it will last and so the king can not delay their commitments because of this and the visit is now scheduled for a long time.
I believe the visit will not be delayed.

Duke of Marmalade 01-30-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog Real (Post 1860133)
I hope that the visit is not postponed.
The political crisis is not known how long it will last and so the king can not delay their commitments because of this and the visit is now scheduled for a long time.
I believe the visit will not be delayed.

I think the problem is that the old government is arranging the visit, Felipe as a figurehead will head it together with the head of government and delegations and if it is unclear who will be/remain in these positions it is difficult. A new government could have different attitude/objectives/opinions towards issues that are on the agenda than the government that arranged the visit what could be embarrassing since UK is a very sensitive issue.

I think it would be a huge difference if Rajoy goes or a possibly freshly elected prime minister Iglesias.

Duc_et_Pair 01-30-2016 04:41 PM

Indeed and the differences are for an example the position of Gibraltar, the possible Brexit, the position on Catalonian separatism which can encourage Scottish separatist feelings, etc. etc. Usually an outgoing PM can very well take a State Visit for his political responsibility but indeed... a conservative PM Rajoy or a very left-wing PM Iglesias, that is a world of difference.

maria-olivia 01-30-2016 05:17 PM

HM the Queen of Spain will have to wear a hat and gloves.

Blog Real 02-01-2016 02:58 PM

Everything points that the visit will take place. I really hope is realized.

Blog Real 02-01-2016 03:08 PM

The British Royal House has on the agenda the visit of the Kings of Spain.
https://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...sandtimes.aspx

Lumutqueen 02-02-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1860162)
HM the Queen of Spain will have to wear a hat and gloves.

Why exactly?

Blog Real 02-02-2016 10:04 AM

The visit will even take place?

ANNIE_S 02-02-2016 12:40 PM

:previous: It has not been oficially postponed so far.

Blog Real 02-03-2016 02:06 PM

El PSOE "no ve objeciones" a la visita de Estado de los Reyes al Reino Unido

Marika86 02-04-2016 09:01 AM

According to ABC, the State Visit was suspended

Suspendido el viaje de Estado de los Reyes al Reino Unido ** Google Translate

Marty91charmed 02-04-2016 09:16 AM

If true it would be a pity! First the visit to france (for obvious and severe reasons) and now this.

muriel 02-04-2016 09:19 AM

No surprises though. The process if governed Foston is underway and till the matter is resolved, it is probably best any such visits are not scheduled

PrincessofEurope 02-04-2016 09:27 AM

Not good news if this cancellation is true - there was the specific timing for this visit withe the 400th anniversary celebrations and if cancelled now i wondered if it will even be reworked for a new date?

lula 02-04-2016 09:50 AM

The trip has been officially postponed

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has officially announced it

Exteriores pospone el viaje de Estado de los Reyes al Reino Unido

Dman 02-04-2016 10:25 AM

Most likely a new date will be worked out. Don't worry, this State Visit will happen this year.

Duke of Marmalade 02-04-2016 01:05 PM

I think a new date will only be discussed when the new government is set, could be in March or in case of new elections in June or worst case even later.
With the 90th birthday celebrations etc I think the visit will only take place in the second half of the year, if at all. Maybe only in 2017.
Spanish royals cancel state visit to Britain amid govt woes - The Local

Jacknch 02-04-2016 01:45 PM

It's a shame that the visit has had to be cancelled as I think we were all looking foreword to this one - it's been too long since the last State Visit between the countries. Nonetheless, it is understandable and we can only hope that the issues causing the cancellation can be resolved.

It's difficult to tell when the new date will be - if they can fit it in somewhere this year I think they will try. Otherwise we are looking at the beginning of next year.

ROYAL NORWAY 02-04-2016 04:31 PM

Spanish government cancels State Visit to UK – Royal Central
Quote:

Buckingham Palace confirmed that The Queen has been informed, saying: “The Queen, of course, fully understands the decision and the context in which it was taken.” It added that it was too early to confirm what the future plans for the visit would be, given Her Majesty’s pre-planned engagements in a landmark year.

muriel 02-05-2016 05:30 AM

I think we jewel watchers must pit on record our beef with the voters of Spain. After all, if only they had been united enough to vote on a majority government, we would not be denied the chance to see a royal on royal state visit

An Ard Ri 02-05-2016 05:55 AM

Well that's a real pity but I think must of us knew it was unlikely to go ahead given the political situation in Spain.Hopefully things will improve in Spain and we the State Visit will take place in the latter half of this year.

Andy T 02-05-2016 06:24 AM

When it does happen, as Charles & Juan Carlos are (were?) close friends and he and Felipe VI are closely related through multiple lines Battenberg-Hesse/Queen Victoria, Christian IX of Denmark, George I of Greece, maybe this will be less difficult for him than with Willem-Alexander or Philippe. Then again, maybe that makes it worse....

Duke of Marmalade 02-05-2016 06:24 AM

I think it was clear when Sanchez said earlier this week that he'd needed up to a month to negotiate, that's beginning of March. No way they would do a State Visit with a vote possibly not going through etc.

carlota 02-05-2016 08:47 AM

i think it is a wise and needed decision.

Dman 02-05-2016 09:30 AM

I admit though, I know a great deal of us were really looking forward to this State Visit. There hasn't been a royal State Visit to the UK in a long time, so the postponement is understandable, but is disappointing. Hopefully, everything will be worked out quickly and the State Visit will be rescheduled for the summer.