The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/reign-of-felipe-vi-how-will-things-be-different-37100.html)

Princess Mahala 07-24-2014 09:18 PM

Don't follow the family much but I wonder what Spaniards think of Felipe being made king now with all the scandals and economics. Does he have a lot of power to change things? Do you think it should have happened a little sooner or later?

LadyFinn 07-28-2014 10:42 AM

King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.
Spain’s new king opens royal account books - The Local

Duke of Marmalade 07-28-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1690438)
King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.
Spain’s new king opens royal account books - The Local

Felipe is pushing the right buttons to get the past behind them. The only thing I find difficult and a bit unfair is Sofia jr. being so limited in her future life. Unlike her parents and sister she is destined to leave the royal family at some point (when Leonor becomes Queen), yet she is not allowed to earn her living in a profession of her choice. What is expected of her, to work as a full time royal unless she will be kicked out?

Charlotte_Aster 07-28-2014 02:37 PM

Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

Blog Real 07-28-2014 02:59 PM

Now who speak on infanta Sofía. What will be the title that Felipe Vi you will give when married?

Felipe is doing a good job as King. Felipe and Letizia are catching the monarchy.

El Rey cambia la bandera de sitio para que «ondee de forma permanente» - La Razón digital

SElizabeth 07-28-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1690438)
King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.
Spain’s new king opens royal account books - The Local

What an amazing man he is, he is doing all the right things to bring the people back and he and his wife are going to be the most dynamic royal couple ever for Spain. I so do admire him and his wife, and even at my age, have a crush on this very handsome prince. Queen Letizia is one very lucky woman to have him for her soul mate! I so look forward to all the wonderful things that they will do and how their children will grow up. They remind me of another royal couple that I so admire, CPV/PD of Sweden..............:heart::smile:

Duke of Marmalade 07-28-2014 04:19 PM

Spain's Felipe VI to keep royals out of private sector | World | Reuters

Jacknch 07-28-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster (Post 1690511)
Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.
As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.

casualfan 07-28-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1690581)
I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.

As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.


If she does decide to pursue a career, could she leave the working Royal Family and renounce her rights to the throne?

Honestly, she's going to grow up knowing the seriousness of what's happened with the scandals in the family.

wyevale 07-28-2014 06:16 PM

Truly a MASTERSTROKE ! Bravo to the King, and his advisers.

TLLK 07-28-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1690503)
Felipe is pushing the right buttons to get the past behind them. The only thing I find difficult and a bit unfair is Sofia jr. being so limited in her future life. Unlike her parents and sister she is destined to leave the royal family at some point (when Leonor becomes Queen), yet she is not allowed to earn her living in a profession of her choice. What is expected of her, to work as a full time royal unless she will be kicked out?

I have to agree with you regarding Infanta Sofia as it does limit her options for the future.

It would have been nice if she could have pursued a life with a few royal engagements but with an independent career too.

However I do understand why the restrictions are in place.

Winnie 07-28-2014 08:07 PM

I think King's requirements are very sound. As far as Infanta Sofia, I am sure that her father will worry about that 10 to 15 years from now. If she wants an independent career an amendment can be written. Anything can happen in the future to anyone.

tommy100 07-28-2014 09:04 PM

I'm sure Sofia will be able to find a role that will keep her busy when she is older, note how it only says royals won't be allowed to work in the 'private sector'. That still leaves a fair amount of options open to her.

Duke of Marmalade 07-29-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 1690615)
I'm sure Sofia will be able to find a role that will keep her busy when she is older, note how it only says royals won't be allowed to work in the 'private sector'. That still leaves a fair amount of options open to her.

I think that this affects Sofia, her life as a spare is more difficult that her sisters' life in many ways anyway. She will be the spare until her sister got married or has kids, and unless Sofia renounces her position before that, she will be a member of the SRF until Leonor becomes Queen, possibly when she approaching 40 years. Is she supposed to start a second career then, after having worked as a royal for over 15 years? First she has to work as a royal to support her sister/the institution and then she has to leave, wasting her best years instead of freely building her own career, but being expected to pick up her own expenses. Her choice of husband will be under scrutiny too, as he will be in Inakis position. He cannot work/do as he pleases either, who wants to marry into this position?

Its bad luck that the SRF is so small that Sofia is needed for royal life at all. An example where royals having their own life worked very well are the dutch princes, building their own life and only returning to royal duties when needed.

So Sofia can thank aunty Cristina for limiting her life options drastically, but she is too young to understand yet.

An Ard Ri 07-29-2014 03:20 PM

Spain’s new king opens royal account books


Bekia

https://www.bekia.es/realeza/noticias...ector-privado/

An Ard Ri 07-30-2014 06:59 AM

From the daily mail

New Spain king moves to clean up palace's image | Mail Online

Duc_et_Pair 07-30-2014 08:16 AM

It is an ill-advised and populist move. When ends meet, no one can forbid a Spanish citizen to earn his/her own money, not even His Majesty The King. It is exactly this 'ban' which will cause problems because the King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter can not live from air and become more and more dependent on third parties. A most undesirable effect to this poor move.

Duc_et_Pair 07-30-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 1690584)
Truly a MASTERSTROKE ! Bravo to the King, and his advisers.

Not at all. The King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter do (will) not receive any allowance from the State. This berufsverbot is very infringing with the right any Spanish or EU citizen enjoys to earn his/her own income freely. Note that companies as Iberia (Airlines), Repsol (oil), Endesa (energy giant), Red Eléctrica de España (energy power infrastructure), Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (banking), Indra Sistemas (defence technologies), Gas Natural Fenosa (Gas infrastructure and utilities), etc. are still partly or in majority owned by the State and belongs to the (semi-)public sector. It is ill-advised and impossible in any way to block someone from making an own independent career. The public service is open to any Spaniard, Infantes and Infantas included.

Duke of Marmalade 07-30-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1691030)
It is an ill-advised and populist move. When ends meet, no one can forbid a Spanish citizen to earn his/her own money, not even His Majesty The King. It is exactly this 'ban' which will cause problems because the King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter can not live from air and become more and more dependent on third parties. A most undesirable effect to this poor move.

The King's sisters can do what they want, they are not members of the SRF any longer. The problem is Infanta Sofia and a possible husband, who would become a member of the SRF as well. What kind of guy is Sofia supposed to marry, a rich man who does nothing for a living? :lol:
They are supposed to carry out royal duties until Leonor becomes Queen and then all of a sudden live on their own? Sofia will not be allowed to leave the SRF before her sister gets married and has kids to pursue an own career. She will have a lifestyle befitting the daughter of a King but she is given no chance to earn it in a decent way.
I understand Felipe is trying to prevent another Inaki-scenario but he is doing at cost of Sofia's freedom of choice. F&L and Leonor all have their royal position and job until the rest of their lives, but Sofia does not.

Duke of Marmalade 07-31-2014 02:25 PM

Felipe VI bars Spanish royals from working in private sector | In English | EL PAÍS


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises