The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/reign-of-felipe-vi-how-will-things-be-different-37100.html)

muriel 06-25-2014 01:29 PM

Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different?

A lot has been said about the reign of Felipe VI representing a fresh start from Spain. I thought it would be useful to have one place where various members could post their thoughts on what they would like to see changed, and how they believe Felipe and Letizia might shape the monarchy going forward.

LadyGabrielle 06-25-2014 02:04 PM

I am hoping that they will be able to gain back the trust of the people. I think if they show that they really care for Spain and the Spanish people, they will be loved and admired by all. So much bitterness and hatred in the past has now given way to a new start. A new beginning and a renewed hope for the future.

Duke of Marmalade 06-25-2014 02:49 PM

there has to be far more transparency than before. felipe will face the difficult task to convince spaniards that he is useful for the country and earn their trust. expectations are high (maybe too high), a recent poll said that most spaniards want felipe to get more involved into politics where he does not have a mandate for. felipe is a figurehead without political power, yet people expect him to improve things for spain, as they have lost trust in politicians and the old king (who used to have political power to get democracy back on track and afterwards, as a figurehead, lived off his reputation and the respect he had earned on this special time for spain).

Jacknch 06-25-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1680331)
there has to be far more transparency than before. felipe will face the difficult task to convince spaniards that he is useful for the country and earn their trust. expectations are high (maybe too high), a recent poll said that most spaniards want felipe to get more involved into politics where he does not have a mandate for. felipe is a figurehead without political power, yet people expect him to improve things for spain, as they have lost trust in politicians and the old king (who used to have political power to get democracy back on track and afterwards, as a figurehead, lived off his reputation and the respect he had earned on this special time for spain).

I completely agree. King Felipe has a difficult task as King of Spain and it is made no less difficult by the fact that politically he is very limited.
It is very interesting indeed to learn that most Spaniards want him to become more involved politically. The distrust of politicians these days seems to be widespread and people are searching for a figurehead who can be trusted and who can act or speak on their behalf. Of-course, this is a shocking irony considering democracy is supposed to be such that the politicians themselves are supposed to be mandated to act and speak on behalf of the people, yet seem rarely to do so.
It is rather a catch 22 situation - but it can be done if the King is careful not to aline himself with basic party politics, rather instead have a veto or influence in areas that the Spanish people are particularly concerned with.
Much is written about the Prince of Wales having to reign in (excuse the pun) his views and involvements when he becomes king - but frankly, I would rather he continued to do so. Politicians lose their way so quickly after being elected, they forget things they say they will do, they make promises which cannot be kept, they change their minds all the time and fundamentally the very nature of a politician is self preservation, which gets in the way of doing right by the people of their nation.
So, the most important thing for Felipe to do is NOT to change himself or change the way he has always done things, to be consistent in all that he does, to avoid controversy, nip problems in the bud, be open, be honest. Through these things he can be trusted and people will have faith in him.

wyevale 06-25-2014 03:51 PM

One of the great uses of Monarchy is its ability to see past the usual 5 year electoral cycle, and 'take the long view', of its country, culture and destiny..

I hope and believe the new king will do this as well as being an impartial, honest and trustworthy head of State. In doing so he can beat the politicians hands down, and win lasting loyalty to himself and his throne.

cepe 06-25-2014 03:51 PM

I think the real pressure will come from being seen to be above reproach. And with so many factions, financial and economic issues, seperatists etc., both Felipe and Letizia are walking a tightrope.

Being seen together will help overcome thenegatives about JCs private life and marriage. sophia needs to be seen to support them.

felipe looks statesmanlike and although that might sound trivial, the majority of people will judge him initially by what they see.

they need to get out of the palace and tour the country. I think that should have been the priority over visiting other countries.

I dont follow the SRF normally but I will now just to see how felipe manages this tricky situation.

SElizabeth 06-26-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1680354)
I completely agree. King Felipe has a difficult task as King of Spain and it is made no less difficult by the fact that politically he is very limited.
It is very interesting indeed to learn that most Spaniards want him to become more involved politically. The distrust of politicians these days seems to be widespread and people are searching for a figurehead who can be trusted and who can act or speak on their behalf. Of-course, this is a shocking irony considering democracy is supposed to be such that the politicians themselves are supposed to be mandated to act and speak on behalf of the people, yet seem rarely to do so.
It is rather a catch 22 situation - but it can be done if the King is careful not to aline himself with basic party politics, rather instead have a veto or influence in areas that the Spanish people are particularly concerned with.
Much is written about the Prince of Wales having to reign in (excuse the pun) his views and involvements when he becomes king - but frankly, I would rather he continued to do so. Politicians lose their way so quickly after being elected, they forget things they say they will do, they make promises which cannot be kept, they change their minds all the time and fundamentally the very nature of a politician is self preservation, which gets in the way of doing right by the people of their nation.
So, the most important thing for Felipe to do is NOT to change himself or change the way he has always done things, to be consistent in all that he does, to avoid controversy, nip problems in the bud, be open, be honest. Through these things he can be trusted and people will have faith in him.

Your comment is something I have been saying for a long time now about my country, USA. There is nothing to trust in my government any more and I and my friends have seen this country change so fast and for the worst ever. Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be because of the politicians who hold office. Yet we are told by all parties that our vote counts, I sure wish someone would tell me how my vote counted in the past? I have one vote out of millions and yet regardless of what party gets in they all end up the same and that also goes for presidents and vice presidents. I don't have an answer on how to fix this problem yet people should read some history because one thing I learned in all my history books is that regardless of whether or not a county is a kingdom, empire or world power they ALL CRUMBLE TO ASHES because of politicians and their lies and crooked ways of stealing from the poor.
sorry if this got off topic, your comment just made me see red again when I hear about a young king who wants to do good for his country and can't and I so wish I had someone like him for my country.

fearghas 06-26-2014 02:46 AM

Spain's gays get first ever royal reception - The Local
I think this is a good start

Duke of Marmalade 06-26-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1680365)
they need to get out of the palace and tour the country. I think that should have been the priority over visiting other countries.

I agree with this. At the end of the day, the street is what matters. People have to find Felipe useful, want to be felt understood. He has to be out and about, touring the provinces should be prio #1

muriel 06-26-2014 10:36 AM

I think there are some interesting points emerging in this discussion. Felipe will need to walk the delicate balance between appearing to be more engaged in the political process without actually compromising his independence and being party political in any way.

I also agree with the posters that F&L should spend some time travelling around the country. Being seen and engaged with people across the country is what is needed, IMO, at a time when the nation is not as united as it could be.

Winnie 06-26-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearghas (Post 1680504)

This is a good start to a new King and Queen who want to be the monarch of all their citizens. This must be done as King should never turn his back on any of his citizens even if their life style or ideals are vastly different than his own. I applaud his decision.

Jacknch 06-26-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SElizabeth (Post 1680484)
Your comment is something I have been saying for a long time now about my country, USA. There is nothing to trust in my government any more and I and my friends have seen this country change so fast and for the worst ever. Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be because of the politicians who hold office. Yet we are told by all parties that our vote counts, I sure wish someone would tell me how my vote counted in the past? I have one vote out of millions and yet regardless of what party gets in they all end up the same and that also goes for presidents and vice presidents. I don't have an answer on how to fix this problem yet people should read some history because one thing I learned in all my history books is that regardless of whether or not a county is a kingdom, empire or world power they ALL CRUMBLE TO ASHES because of politicians and their lies and crooked ways of stealing from the poor.
sorry if this got off topic, your comment just made me see red again when I hear about a young king who wants to do good for his country and can't and I so wish I had someone like him for my country.

I think what you say is very understandable and shows how important and vital it is that King Felipe as a non-political head of state can navigate through his path with as much trust from as many Spanish people as he can muster.
The speech he made at his proclamation struck such a chord with me and was aimed at all the Spanish people, not just a certain few with political ideals. US presidents have often made just as profound speeches to the American people, but the politics is never too far behind. It is difficult to gain comfort and hope from a figurehead you either don't like or don't agree with, or has different political views or indeed isn't going to stay around anyway beyond the term of office given to him. Poor presidents and prime ministers - you can't change the world (or even your country!) in four or five years whatever your politics are - there isn't time!
God bless America, Long Live the Queen and Vive El Rey!

applebee 07-03-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1680331)

I will say the first rule is do NOT mess with politics.

applebee 07-03-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SElizabeth (Post 1680484)

I am an American as well, and I am curious why you think why someone who is not voted by the public is more trustworthy than some who is.

I bet the corruption in Spain is much worse than US, their unemployment rate is 25%, ours is 6%. There is no comparison here.

I enjoy watching the royal soap opera from a distance, because I don't need to pay them!

applebee 07-03-2014 07:15 PM

Felipe is already doing what he is supposed to do, working hard to earn the respect of people in Spain and all over the world.

Keep up the good job and one day he will win the hearts back.

fearghas 07-04-2014 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnie (Post 1680584)
This is a good start to a new King and Queen who want to be the monarch of all their citizens. This must be done as King should never turn his back on any of his citizens even if their life style or ideals are vastly different than his own. I applaud his decision.

My thoughts exactly

Vizier 07-16-2014 05:29 PM

Will Felipe Continue to Create Noble Titles?

Spain is one of very few countries to still create hereditary nobility, and not just for members of the royal family. I think it is only Spain, Belgium and maybe Luxembourg where this might still happen.

Anyway, is Felipe expected to continue this practice? His father did not ennoble that many people, but I think it was two or three dozen people over the course of his reign, usually given the title of Marquess although occasionally something else, e.g. former Prime Minister Suarez became a Duke and his heir is now Duchess of Suarez.

I could see people thinking this is too old-fashioned, although the new King of Belgium is continuing the practice.

An Ard Ri 07-19-2014 05:53 AM

Their Majesties 1 month on since Felipe's accession to the throne

Bekia

Así ha sido el primer mes de Don Felipe y Doña Letizia como Reyes de España - Bekia

Admiral Horthy 07-19-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applebee (Post 1683285)
I am an American as well, and I am curious why you think why someone who is not voted by the public is more trustworthy than some who is.

I bet the corruption in Spain is much worse than US, their unemployment rate is 25%, ours is 6%. There is no comparison here.

I enjoy watching the royal soap opera from a distance, because I don't need to pay them!

Our unemployment rate is much higher than 6%, the government fudges the figures. None the less the value of a hereditary monarch is precisely the need to see beyond an election cycle but to take the long view. A King generally wants to leave his country in better shape than he inherited it. The problem with a figurehead King is he can only act behind the scenes. While I would never want a King to be political it would be nice if monarchs had true authority and the final say over things.

I do not envy Felipe, he (nor his father) didn't create the mess Spain is in, the politicians did and by extension the voters, the people themselves. His role is to act as a unifier and referee. God Bless him.

SElizabeth 07-20-2014 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Horthy (Post 1687592)
Our unemployment rate is much higher than 6%, the government fudges the figures. None the less the value of a hereditary monarch is precisely the need to see beyond an election cycle but to take the long view. A King generally wants to leave his country in better shape than he inherited it. The problem with a figurehead King is he can only act behind the scenes. While I would never want a King to be political it would be nice if monarchs had true authority and the final say over things.

I do not envy Felipe, he (nor his father) didn't create the mess Spain is in, the politicians did and by extension the voters, the people themselves. His role is to act as a unifier and referee. God Bless him.

Yes he is a very good man and I believe that he will pull the country through this unstable time. He and his wife are such solid good people and it will take time and they will do it.
Part of your comment that I highlighted, reminds me of our country and what has happened to it...............American voters:bang:, should listen up and read their history. :smile:

Princess Mahala 07-24-2014 09:18 PM

Don't follow the family much but I wonder what Spaniards think of Felipe being made king now with all the scandals and economics. Does he have a lot of power to change things? Do you think it should have happened a little sooner or later?

LadyFinn 07-28-2014 10:42 AM

King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.
Spain’s new king opens royal account books - The Local

Duke of Marmalade 07-28-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1690438)
King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.

Felipe is pushing the right buttons to get the past behind them. The only thing I find difficult and a bit unfair is Sofia jr. being so limited in her future life. Unlike her parents and sister she is destined to leave the royal family at some point (when Leonor becomes Queen), yet she is not allowed to earn her living in a profession of her choice. What is expected of her, to work as a full time royal unless she will be kicked out?

Charlotte_Aster 07-28-2014 02:37 PM

Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

Blog Real 07-28-2014 02:59 PM

Now who speak on infanta Sofía. What will be the title that Felipe Vi you will give when married?

Felipe is doing a good job as King. Felipe and Letizia are catching the monarchy.

El Rey cambia la bandera de sitio para que «ondee de forma permanente» - La Razón digital

SElizabeth 07-28-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1690438)

What an amazing man he is, he is doing all the right things to bring the people back and he and his wife are going to be the most dynamic royal couple ever for Spain. I so do admire him and his wife, and even at my age, have a crush on this very handsome prince. Queen Letizia is one very lucky woman to have him for her soul mate! I so look forward to all the wonderful things that they will do and how their children will grow up. They remind me of another royal couple that I so admire, CPV/PD of Sweden..............:heart::smile:

Duke of Marmalade 07-28-2014 04:19 PM

Spain's Felipe VI to keep royals out of private sector | World | Reuters

Jacknch 07-28-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster (Post 1690511)
Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.
As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.

casualfan 07-28-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1690581)
I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.

As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.

If she does decide to pursue a career, could she leave the working Royal Family and renounce her rights to the throne?

Honestly, she's going to grow up knowing the seriousness of what's happened with the scandals in the family.

wyevale 07-28-2014 06:16 PM

Truly a MASTERSTROKE ! Bravo to the King, and his advisers.

TLLK 07-28-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1690503)
Felipe is pushing the right buttons to get the past behind them. The only thing I find difficult and a bit unfair is Sofia jr. being so limited in her future life. Unlike her parents and sister she is destined to leave the royal family at some point (when Leonor becomes Queen), yet she is not allowed to earn her living in a profession of her choice. What is expected of her, to work as a full time royal unless she will be kicked out?

I have to agree with you regarding Infanta Sofia as it does limit her options for the future.

It would have been nice if she could have pursued a life with a few royal engagements but with an independent career too.

However I do understand why the restrictions are in place.

Winnie 07-28-2014 08:07 PM

I think King's requirements are very sound. As far as Infanta Sofia, I am sure that her father will worry about that 10 to 15 years from now. If she wants an independent career an amendment can be written. Anything can happen in the future to anyone.

tommy100 07-28-2014 09:04 PM

I'm sure Sofia will be able to find a role that will keep her busy when she is older, note how it only says royals won't be allowed to work in the 'private sector'. That still leaves a fair amount of options open to her.

Duke of Marmalade 07-29-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 1690615)
I'm sure Sofia will be able to find a role that will keep her busy when she is older, note how it only says royals won't be allowed to work in the 'private sector'. That still leaves a fair amount of options open to her.

I think that this affects Sofia, her life as a spare is more difficult that her sisters' life in many ways anyway. She will be the spare until her sister got married or has kids, and unless Sofia renounces her position before that, she will be a member of the SRF until Leonor becomes Queen, possibly when she approaching 40 years. Is she supposed to start a second career then, after having worked as a royal for over 15 years? First she has to work as a royal to support her sister/the institution and then she has to leave, wasting her best years instead of freely building her own career, but being expected to pick up her own expenses. Her choice of husband will be under scrutiny too, as he will be in Inakis position. He cannot work/do as he pleases either, who wants to marry into this position?

Its bad luck that the SRF is so small that Sofia is needed for royal life at all. An example where royals having their own life worked very well are the dutch princes, building their own life and only returning to royal duties when needed.

So Sofia can thank aunty Cristina for limiting her life options drastically, but she is too young to understand yet.

An Ard Ri 07-29-2014 03:20 PM

Spain’s new king opens royal account books

Bekia

https://www.bekia.es/realeza/noticias...ector-privado/

An Ard Ri 07-30-2014 06:59 AM

From the daily mail

New Spain king moves to clean up palace's image | Mail Online

Duc_et_Pair 07-30-2014 08:16 AM

It is an ill-advised and populist move. When ends meet, no one can forbid a Spanish citizen to earn his/her own money, not even His Majesty The King. It is exactly this 'ban' which will cause problems because the King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter can not live from air and become more and more dependent on third parties. A most undesirable effect to this poor move.

Duc_et_Pair 07-30-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 1690584)
Truly a MASTERSTROKE ! Bravo to the King, and his advisers.

Not at all. The King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter do (will) not receive any allowance from the State. This berufsverbot is very infringing with the right any Spanish or EU citizen enjoys to earn his/her own income freely. Note that companies as Iberia (Airlines), Repsol (oil), Endesa (energy giant), Red Eléctrica de España (energy power infrastructure), Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (banking), Indra Sistemas (defence technologies), Gas Natural Fenosa (Gas infrastructure and utilities), etc. are still partly or in majority owned by the State and belongs to the (semi-)public sector. It is ill-advised and impossible in any way to block someone from making an own independent career. The public service is open to any Spaniard, Infantes and Infantas included.

Duke of Marmalade 07-30-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1691030)
It is an ill-advised and populist move. When ends meet, no one can forbid a Spanish citizen to earn his/her own money, not even His Majesty The King. It is exactly this 'ban' which will cause problems because the King's sisters and the King's youngest daughter can not live from air and become more and more dependent on third parties. A most undesirable effect to this poor move.

The King's sisters can do what they want, they are not members of the SRF any longer. The problem is Infanta Sofia and a possible husband, who would become a member of the SRF as well. What kind of guy is Sofia supposed to marry, a rich man who does nothing for a living? :lol:
They are supposed to carry out royal duties until Leonor becomes Queen and then all of a sudden live on their own? Sofia will not be allowed to leave the SRF before her sister gets married and has kids to pursue an own career. She will have a lifestyle befitting the daughter of a King but she is given no chance to earn it in a decent way.
I understand Felipe is trying to prevent another Inaki-scenario but he is doing at cost of Sofia's freedom of choice. F&L and Leonor all have their royal position and job until the rest of their lives, but Sofia does not.

Duke of Marmalade 07-31-2014 02:25 PM

Felipe VI bars Spanish royals from working in private sector | In English | EL PAÍS

Marty91charmed 07-31-2014 03:02 PM

:previous:
Are we sure that this is a good thing? Woulnd't it effect Sofia too?:ermm:

Al_bina 07-31-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1691101)
The King's sisters can do what they want, they are not members of the SRF any longer. The problem is Infanta Sofia and a possible husband, who would become a member of the SRF as well. What kind of guy is Sofia supposed to marry, a rich man who does nothing for a living? :lol:
They are supposed to carry out royal duties until Leonor becomes Queen and then all of a sudden live on their own? Sofia will not be allowed to leave the SRF before her sister gets married and has kids to pursue an own career. She will have a lifestyle befitting the daughter of a King but she is given no chance to earn it in a decent way.
I understand Felipe is trying to prevent another Inaki-scenario but he is doing at cost of Sofia's freedom of choice. F&L and Leonor all have their royal position and job until the rest of their lives, but Sofia does not.

my boldng
King Felipe will be forced to find a son of a rich family, who can afford to live off his trust fund.

Duke of Marmalade 07-31-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 1691383)
my boldng
King Felipe will be forced to find a son of a rich family, who can afford to live off his trust fund.

This will certainly make the monarchy more popular with the spanish people :lol:

Duke of Marmalade 09-20-2014 12:18 PM

Carlos Revenga, the advisor/secretary of the Infantas Elena & Cristina and a controversial player in the Noos affair is no longer working in Zarzuela
Carlos García Revenga, el adiós del ayudante de las infantas Elena y Cristina - Noticias de Casas Reales

An Ard Ri 09-22-2014 06:04 AM

from Hola '100 days reign so far'

Los cien días del reinado de Felipe VI

LadyFinn 09-25-2014 01:20 AM

The Official Gazette published for the first time, according to the Transparency Act, the declaration of assets of all senior officials of the Central Government, whose inauguration or dismissal has occurred in the period from July 1, 2013 and July 30, 2014.
Publicada oficialmente la declaración de bienes de seis ex altos cargos de La Zarzuela
Translation

muriel 09-30-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 1691383)
my boldng

... or the couple will be provided with a Trust Fund they can live off.

LadyFinn 11-27-2014 12:57 AM

Zarzuela does not ask God save the King
King Felipe has decided that all the invitations and info issued from Zarzuela will no longer be issued in the traditional format "Su Majestad el Rey (que Dios guarde)". It seems that the invitations to the state dinner for president Michelle Bachelet in October were the first ones without the religious mention. In his effort to modernize and renovate the institution, from the pragmatic to the symbolic, king Felipe asked for an end to this tradition, which other European royal houses had been removed long time ago.
Zarzuela ya no pide que Dios guarde al Rey
Translation

Marty91charmed 11-27-2014 04:50 AM

I think that is a smart move... Religious issues are private matters

Duke of Marmalade 11-28-2014 01:18 AM

The flag ceremony and location of the flag at Zarzuela has been changed, instead of daily schedule it will be permanent, apart from 4 dates, when it will be lowered and hoisted: Jan 6th, June 19th, Oct 12th and Dec 6th (Constitution Day). The flag has been moved from office entrance to the front of Zarzuela.
La bandera ondear? d?a y noche en La Zarzuela - ABC.es

Harold 11-29-2014 08:13 AM

Well, I hate to see most any tradition die and I think the general removal of God from society is not helpful but since I'll never receive an invitation I suppose it doesn't matter.

Can someone explain the flag move and what exactly it implies? If the article translated correctly, it seems that the flag was flown at the entrance guardpost away from the palace and was raised/lowered daily with some pomp. Now it is flown in front of the office entrance permanently with the ceremonial limited to four days. To me this seems a practical matter and nothing more. Am I missing something? Also the entrance in the photo must be a back entrance and not the ceremonial entrance with the steps we see in photos Is this correct?

Thanks.

lula 11-29-2014 09:49 AM

The topic of the flag is only a problem for right-wing, tha flag is now more in line with Spanish law than it was before. The problem is to give voice to their ideology thay attack Letizia, as they always do.

The flag was used in Zarzuela as if it was a military building, rather than an institutional building, the headquarters of the Head of State. Now the flag will be permanently waving on the facade as it is in the Government Palace, Parliament, ministries and municipalities.

On religious references, all they are doing is conform to the Constitution, according to which in Spain there is no official religion.

In the coming weeks, there will be a new change, the king will approve the rule on gifts.

For me what is unfortunate is that in over 30 years, King Juan Carlos had not done much of these changes, because clearly in Zarzuela work more tradition and privilege ... than the law.

lula 12-04-2014 01:50 PM

Royal House has released the new code of conduct and rules of gifts for the Royal Family and the King's House.

La Familia Real no aceptar? regalos que superen los usos sociales o puedan condicionarles - ABC.es

Felipe VI: El Rey prohíbe a la familia real aceptar favores o regalos caros | España | EL PAÍS

Marty91charmed 12-04-2014 02:57 PM

All this may be a consequence of Cristina's troubles but I can only say well done

wyevale 12-04-2014 03:16 PM

His Majesty has all the makings of a GREAT King..

muriel 12-04-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 1725968)

Transparency of this type is good, and I am glad this has been put in place.

LadyFinn 12-05-2014 03:45 PM

King of Spain forbids royal family to accept gifts - Telegraph
King bars royals from taking presents In English EL PAÍS

Josefine 06-07-2015 12:15 PM

New tradition with the new regency

I were wondering since King Felipe became king has he started new tradition.
Does he do things different then king Juan Carlos
Or has he started something totalt new?

Duc_et_Pair 06-07-2015 12:28 PM

Well, it is more and more evoluing to a President Borbón and a First Lady Ortiz, to my purely personal humble opinion but others may argue "Well, that is modern monarchy". If everything which sticks a bit out of the surface has to be trimmed away, well, why not directly go for a republic then?

Winnie 06-07-2015 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1725999)
Transparency of this type is good, and I am glad this has been put in place.

I certainly agree. The more secrecy in any government can only hide many things and trouble. I did not realize that Spain was not an official Catholic Nation. For some reason I just was under the impression that it always was. Thanks all for information.

Winnie 06-07-2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1707003)
... or the couple will be provided with a Trust Fund they can live off.

correct. Plus, I am sure upon the deaths of grandparents and parents, stipends will be indicated for Sofia from their wills and she will never have to worry about her next meal. Won't cost the Spanish government or citizens a cent. Happens in all royal families.

lula 06-08-2015 04:59 AM

According to several media, the Royal House is preparing a reception at the Royal Palace for the first anniversary of the proclamation of King Felipe.

El primer aniversario de la proclamación del Rey Felipe VI -- Mujerhoy.com --

King Juan Carlos held for many years his name day on June 23. In the first years with a big party in the gardens of the Royal Palace, after a private recepcion to higher authorities at Zarzuela Palace, and in recent years he canceled the celebrations. It was also traditional that at that time he grant military decorations.

King Felipe has decided not to celebrate his birthday or name day and celebrate the day of his proclamation.

ANNIE_S 06-08-2015 05:42 AM

:previous: It would be great if this becomes an annual event as JC's name day used to be.

And doing the receptions at El Campo del Moro would be fntastic and a way to differenciate this special day from other receptions during the rest of the year (12 October for instance), although I doubt they will do it there.

Marty91charmed 06-08-2015 07:38 AM

If so, it really makes more sense to celebrate a proclamation day that a name day IMO...

Vizier 09-17-2015 04:59 PM

Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?

JR76 09-17-2015 05:05 PM

Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vizier (Post 1821166)
Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?

Is it really up to the King to decide to stop ennobling people? Wouldn't that be a decision for the government to make?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

An Ard Ri 09-17-2015 05:07 PM

I'm not sure if King Felipe VI has created any new titles yet or if he will continue creating new hereditary titles,I guess time will tell,he has revoked one title so far!

Duc_et_Pair 09-20-2015 04:25 AM

And? How is "modern monarchy" with President Borbón and First Lady Ortiz doing? Looking smart and businesslike. Trying to be "modern"? In the meantime in city halls portraits of the King are removed (see link), a member of Parliament demonstratively ripped the Constitution while speaking before the assembly (see link), even officials in Oviedo, Asturias (!) -after fierce protests during the Princess of Asturias Awards ceremony- now discussing because these awards would be "propaganda for the monarchy"...

:ermm:

lula 09-20-2015 11:54 AM

Notable improvement in Spain’s image in the international press

The economic evolution and the activities of the Royal Household, keys in the change, according to Elcano

Particularly significant is the influence of the intensive diplomatic activity by the King and Queen, including their visits to France, Mexico and the Lebanon, which have caused the image of the Royal Household in the English and French speaking press to evolve very positively. In addition, this has led to greater interest in other news on Spain.

Notable improvement in Spain's image in the international press

Duke of Marmalade 09-20-2015 12:11 PM

I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.

grevinnan 09-20-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1822060)
I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.

In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.

RoyaltyPortuguese 09-20-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1822060)

I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.
The monarchy is no longer in danger.

Duc_et_Pair 09-20-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaltyPortuguese (Post 1822087)
I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.

Eeeerrrhhhh.... You have missed the one after the other city hall removing all "royal propaganda" (statues, portraits, royal arms, etc.)? You have missed the upcoming regional elections in Catalonia which are used as a starting point for breaking up Spain? You have missed that Member of Parliament demonstratively ripping the Constitution of Spain in the middle of a debate in the Cortes? You have missed the council of Oviedo (capital of Asturias) discussing if and how they should participate in the Premios Princesa de Asturias as they do not want to be seen "collaborating" with the royals? I am curious to know how you came to the conclusion that Don Felipe is "popular" and that the monarchy is not in danger?

eya 09-20-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaltyPortuguese (Post 1822087)

King Felipe it is only a year and something King. So far it has managed to strengthen considerably the monarchy. It is too early to say anything but clearly if properly handle difficult situations and no other scandals then very likely to succeed him as Leonor.

Very positive poll for King Felipe and Monarchy

Felipe VI sitúa a la monarquía en su mejor valoración en 20 años

https://translate.googleusercontent....8RW1saNRP3u7cg

Duke of Marmalade 09-20-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 1822084)
In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.

with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.

RoyaltyPortuguese 09-20-2015 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1822097)
with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.

For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.

Duke of Marmalade 09-20-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaltyPortuguese (Post 1822100)
For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.

I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.

RoyaltyPortuguese 09-20-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1822104)
I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.

It's not like that. In Portugal, the President of the Republic is unpopular and there is no way to get rid of him, just in elections, but the other candidates are not better than him.

RoyaltyPortuguese 09-20-2015 01:48 PM

75 of the Spaniards believe that Felipe VI is a good King, while a 19th thinks otherwise, according to a survey published by the Madrid daily El Mundo. Furthermore, the 65.1 supports the monarchy in comparison with the 49.9 reflecting a similar survey in January of 2014, before the abdication of Juan Carlos I.

Felipe VI le devuelve la popularidad a la monarquía española - Gente - Vida y Estilo | El Universo

grevinnan 09-20-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1822097)

Exactly. That is what monarchy is. The King does not decide what the politicians can put forth for the people to vote on or make changes to the constitution regarding the head of state. How can it be "undemocratic" when the choice to make the change to a republic has not happened. Being democratic or "undemocratic" depends on the populations role in deciding the form of government they would like to have or not to have. All monarchies in Europe are democratic.

Duc_et_Pair 09-21-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaltyPortuguese (Post 1822114)
75 of the Spaniards believe that Felipe VI is a good King, while a 19th thinks otherwise, according to a survey published by the Madrid daily El Mundo. Furthermore, the 65.1 supports the monarchy in comparison with the 49.9 reflecting a similar survey in January of 2014, before the abdication of Juan Carlos I.

Felipe VI le devuelve la popularidad a la monarquía española - Gente - Vida y Estilo | El Universo

Polls are a virtual reality. No one has asked them to cast their vote. It is all an internet or telephone survey and then extrapolating the results from 700 people or so, over a whole nation.

Not so virtual reality are municipalities banning any reference to the monarchy, municipalities even refusing to wave the national flag of Spain (!), fierce demonstrations and protests against the monarchy in places they visit, the yelling, whistling and booing, even in places like Oviedo, which was the capital of Don Felipe's own principality (Asturias). I read a poll in a newspaper but my eyes see something different.

Marengo 09-21-2015 06:21 AM

Well, perhaps your eyes should look at different signals too. The loudest voices are not the only voices. Look for example at the massive amount of Spaniards on the streets during the enthronement of the king. Or the large crowds that go to most functions of the king and queen.

royal-blue 01-26-2016 02:17 PM

As far as I know the number of royal engagements carried out by members of the Spanish Royal Family are not counted, but has the overall royal workload changed much since the abdication?

Blog Real 01-26-2016 04:18 PM

Spanish members of the TRF as they are to see the reign of King Philip VI? VI think Felipe will have a long reign? The Spaniards are content with the work of King and the royal family? The monarchy is popular?

Duke of Marmalade 11-20-2016 09:41 AM

Zarzuela limita los actos de la Reina a lo «escrupulosamente» constitucional

After lots of speculation in the press about the absence of the Queen at the swearing-in ceremony of the new government Zarzuela explains why this was the case (Sofia always attended in the past):
Felipe VI will assume exclusively the acts reserved for him according to the Magna Carta and Doña Letizia will accompany him at State events or where she will be a supposed asset and be "close to the people". Sources of the Crown confirm that the commented absence of the Queen at the swearing-in of Rajoy and the ministers responds to a decision "coordinated and studied" by the organs of the Royal House.

Vizier 12-28-2016 01:21 PM

Still No New Nobles Created- Is this a Permanent Shift?

When I mentioned this over a year ago, people said we'll see he hasn't been King for very long. It's been a while now. Was there any announcement that there will be no new noble titles created, or is this just a practice that Felipe is quietly abandoning?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vizier (Post 1821166)

Marengo 01-03-2017 11:43 AM

Thanks for posting that eya. And quite an accomplishment for the king, considering the poll numbers not too long ago and the general dissatisfaction with authorities by much of the electorate in Europe.

Duc_et_Pair 01-03-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1940803)
Zarzuela limita los actos de la Reina a lo «escrupulosamente» constitucional

After lots of speculation in the press about the absence of the Queen at the swearing-in ceremony of the new government Zarzuela explains why this was the case (Sofia always attended in the past):
Felipe VI will assume exclusively the acts reserved for him according to the Magna Carta and Doña Letizia will accompany him at State events or where she will be a supposed asset and be "close to the people". Sources of the Crown confirm that the commented absence of the Queen at the swearing-in of Rajoy and the ministers responds to a decision "coordinated and studied" by the organs of the Royal House.

I like this constitutional clarity. Felipe is the head of state. Letizia has nothing to do there. This is in line with practice in other monarchies.

ANNIE_S 01-03-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 1951561)

This is so good, a score not only higher than the pre scandals times, but similar to the late 1990's when the monarchy still enjoyed great popularity :ohmy:

And it's been just 3-4 years since the ratings were at their lowest ever... IIRIC, it even went to a 3! I wonder if such a growth in popularity is due to the gap year in government and institutions and the subsequent circus. We citizens tend to evaluate by comparison so many times, and in such incertainty one starts to look at stable, sure values like the crown with a different (better) stare... ;)

Let's see if the approval ratings follow their growing trend until the levels from 80's or early 90's were the King and the Monarchy were inmensely popular...though I'm very much afraid we won't see that. As Marengo says, we're living very different times :whistling:

An Ard Ri 01-03-2017 06:20 PM

Judging by that poll unless I'm seeing it wrong Queen Sofia is the most popular member,no surprise really but Zarzuela should bring H.M. out more!

Duc_et_Pair 01-03-2017 06:30 PM

We have seen with various events that nothing is as unpredictable as a poll. So let us not dig to deep in making conclusions.