The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-crown-2016-present-netflix-drama-series-on-queen-elizabeth-ii-37008.html)

leidi 11-29-2016 12:37 AM

I like how they portray the situation of a young woman in her age and time, which is terribly realistic, royalty or not, she must have asserted herself from day one and keep proving it until she was considered "old and wise" enough.

I also liked how they portrayed her relationship with Churchill, he was an old grumpy power hungry man but he was also one of these deeply patriotic men, so he probably considered his duty to groom the Queen to be a great power, he knew he wasn't going to live forever and tried to do his best by her.

There's been some really great casting: Pip Torrens as Tommy Lascelles is MAGNIFICENT, the quintaessential stiff-upper-lip British gentleman, John Lithgow gives Churchill a very "human" feel, Harriet Walker as Clementine is amazing, Greg Wise as Dickie Mountbatten is that charismatic, ambitious dude you don't want to have near, Eileen Atkins is now the go-for Queen Mary (this is her second or third time playing her?), Jared Harris paints such a sad King George VI you can't help but feel for him...

I've actually liked this a lot, I have chosen to see it with a willing suspension of disbelief, not focussing on specific historical details no one would know but rather on the story itself, how the strongest monarch we have ever known in our time came to be.

Dman 11-29-2016 12:42 AM

What I don't like about The Crown that it depicts The Queen as of having a very lonely life. They have Prince Philip's character away a lot and didn't cast any ladies in waiting for Her Majesty. The Queen is surrounded and supported by a cast of friends, family and ladies in waiting.

Dman 11-30-2016 08:56 PM

What Lady Pamela Hicks, Queen Elizabeth's Lady-in-Waiting, Thinks of The Crown

Emme 12-03-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1811599)
They (the media) say 100m.

I have been watching with my daughter, a costumer. We have been enjoying seeing all of the costume and set details, and noting how, for the most part, they are really nailing the period details!

Emme 12-03-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1937000)
Before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater, here's a reason to watch THE CROWN.
Most people have knowledge of the details of Elizabeth's coming into adulthood and the crown. Most people these days learn their understanding of "history" from drama, comic books and posts on social media. You may not like that. but it is true.
So, going forward, new generations around the world are getting a sense of how Elizabeth became who she is from watching this series and others like it.
Frankly, I prefer to understand what people see and how they get their ideas about the world and people in it. For me the cup is half full seeing a relatively young person suddenly thrust on the world stage. It's fascinating to see her and the people around her learn and cope. And, historical inaccuracies aside, I rather like the idea of millennials and founders understanding what a person with grit, a sense of duty and history can do with willful choices made in their young lives.
And, selfishly, I like being taken back to a time when it was all new to her. When she was finding her way. Before she had courtiers trained to within a millimeter of her will. It reminds me of what a journey it has been and what she accomplished. It helps me understand the choices she makes today.
I just don't see that more is to be gained from avoiding than from watching. But that's just me.

Yes to all this! :clap:

Frelinghighness 12-06-2016 10:48 PM

I've finished the ten episodes and found it wonderful,although the peter and Margaret story was not true according to the letter from Margaret which were found eight years ago. This makes a better story I guess. And they really play up the jealous sisters theme. I wonder, did Margaret actually offend people,when she stood in for hm, and, is there anything to the sisters not getting along which portrayed? I love the way the queen grows into her role with the terrible politicians

ladongas 12-14-2016 11:58 PM

The deadly fog...

Here's an article about what may have caused the awful 1952 fog which was in an episode of The Crown.

Scientists determine cause of London's 1952 "killer fog" - CBS News

Skippyboo 12-26-2016 11:38 AM

If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.

PetticoatLane 01-09-2017 02:22 AM

Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role. Claire Foy won best actress in a TV drama at the Golden Globes last night and paid tribute to HM in her acceptance speech.

The Crown also won best TV drama overall on what was a really successful night for British TV. Forgive me for sinking so low as to link to the Daily Mail:

Golden Globes 2017: The Crown's Claire Foy leads Brit winners along with The Night Manager | Daily Mail Online

Duke of Marmalade 01-09-2017 05:26 AM

I haven't seen it but it beat GoT (and I thought season 6 was incredible) at last nights' GG, so I guess it must be really, really good!

ROYAL NORWAY 01-09-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetticoatLane (Post 1952960)
Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role. Claire Foy won best actress in a TV drama at the Golden Globes last night and paid tribute to HM in her acceptance speech.

The Crown also won best TV drama overall on what was a really successful night for British TV. Forgive me for sinking so low as to link to the Daily Mail:

Golden Globes 2017: The Crown's Claire Foy leads Brit winners along with The Night Manager | Daily Mail Online

That's what happens when you play the world's biggest icon.

She's the centre of the world': Claire Foy thanks the Queen in her Golden Globes acceptance speech
Quote:

"I really, really, really wouldn't be here if it wasn't for some extraordinary women, and I'm going to thank them. One of them is Queen Elizabeth II. She has been at the center of the world for the past 63 years, and I think the world could do with a few more women at the center of it, if you ask me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14qAJzMW2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4a5AFMiSkQ

An Ard Ri 01-09-2017 04:15 PM

Very well deserved awards and delighted for Claire Foy!

Empress Merel 01-09-2017 04:23 PM

Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.

Iluvbertie 01-09-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1949968)
If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.

The plan is six seasons each covering about a decade so it makes sense that Diana would be in the late 3rd season or early 4th season but gone by the early 5th or even late 4th. She was only in the family for a decade and a half so should only be in the series for about 1.5 seasons.

Skippyboo 01-09-2017 04:33 PM

I believe she just had a baby prior to starting filming for The Crown.

An Ard Ri 01-09-2017 04:44 PM

Claire gave birth to a daughter born in March 2015.

Countessmeout 01-09-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 1953071)
Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.

Her brilliant girl is her and her husbands nearly two year old daughter. Be a tad odd to refer to an unborn child as brilliant. :smile:

Empress Merel 01-09-2017 05:26 PM

Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.

ROYAL NORWAY 01-09-2017 05:44 PM

How the Queen helped British stars to success at the Golden Globes - again
Quote:

Her coronation was the first major event ever to be televised, with her Christmas speech one of the most-watched broadcast highlights of every year.

But the Queen's on-screen influence extended even further this week, after she inadvertently offered British actors a helping hand in Hollywood.

British stars have enjoyed their most successful year at the Golden Globes in a decade, as the magic touch of the Royal family captured the critics' imaginations.

Claire Foy won best actress in a television drama for her portrayal of Her Majesty, in the big-budget Netflix drama which told the story of a young Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip in their early marriage.

Countessmeout 01-09-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 1953097)
Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.

Extraordinary Woman in the making. A two year old may be brilliant in her mothers eyes, but a woman no. She was saying she was indirectly by two, Elizabeth II who is already an extraordinary woman and her daughter who is one in the making, as in growing into ond.