The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-crown-2016-present-netflix-drama-series-on-queen-elizabeth-ii-37008.html)

PetticoatLane 06-03-2014 07:43 AM

"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

I thought this was worth its own thread, if not then mods can move/delete as appropriate:

Quote:

Online subscription service Netflix is set to order its first original British drama The Crown, a 100m (US$170m) series inspired by the life of the Queen.

Peter Morgan, who wrote 2006 film The Queen and recent stage play The Audience, will write the script with director Stephen Daldry also involved.
BBC News - Netflix plans original UK drama about the Queen

This is a pretty huge project. It's expected to be about 20 episodes, split across a couple of seasons, with at least 3 actresses likely to play HM during different periods of her life. Apparently it will begin with her marriage to Philip and cover the political, social and personal changes HM has experienced over her reign.

Netflix have done a pretty good job with House of Cards, for example, so there's reason to hope that this might be of a very high quality.

It's due to be released in 2016 and, shockingly, Dame Helen Mirren is understood not to be involved.

More information:

Netflix Queen Elizabeth II Epic Series Could Be Coming | Variety
Netflix Prepping Royal Drama Series From Stephen Daldry, Peter Morgan - Hollywood Reporter
Netflix's The Crown TV show to dramatise The Queen's six decades on the throne | Mail Online

ROYAL NORWAY 07-25-2014 06:40 PM

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Felicity's Queen for a day in TV's 'biggest ever show' | Mail Online

ROYAL NORWAY 07-25-2014 08:56 PM

This is not going to be good, it is written by Peter Morgan. Helen Mirren's version of The Queen was not like Her Majesty in either style or personality.

ROYAL NORWAY 07-26-2014 12:36 AM

I thought someone would be interested in this, but apparently not.

Marty91charmed 07-26-2014 07:37 AM

Franky I quite liked how Helen Mirren portrayed the queen... But I think that a movie is enough... No need of more series...

PetticoatLane 07-26-2014 08:43 AM

Wow, so this is now going to be 60 hours and six seasons long?! No wonder the budget's so high!

I have to say that I quite liked Helen Mirren as the Queen. It's not possible for any actress to completely embody a still-living person that we all know so well, but she did a pretty good job.

I doubt that Peter Morgan is going to write all 60 episodes. He's going to be one of a number of writers given the scale of this thing. I'm a big fan of House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black which are both Netflix series so I'm mildly optimistic that this might be ok.

An Ard Ri 07-26-2014 08:44 AM

More on the series

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Felicity's Queen for a day in TV's 'biggest ever show' | Mail Online

HRHHermione 07-26-2014 02:06 PM

Oh I will totally watch this. Love the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

ROYAL NORWAY 08-19-2015 02:22 PM

Today's articles
The Queen's majestic 1947 nuptials to Philip are brought to life in spectacular colour scenes for Netflix drama The Crown | Daily Mail Online

Claire Foy stuns as bride Queen Elizabeth in The Crown | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Daily Express

Other articles from this year.
Matt Smith transforms into Prince Philip for Netflix show, The Crown | Daily Mail Online

Matt Smith to play Prince Philip in new Netflix drama The Crown | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Daily Express

Marty91charmed 08-19-2015 03:24 PM

I don't know if this ins another show about the royals that's worth to be seen... But I must admint that it makes me curious!

Skippyboo 08-19-2015 03:45 PM

The photos look pretty cool and accurate in the costumes. From the article it seems like The Audience play expanded from the setting of the weekly PM meeting scenario.

I loved the Queen, the movie. I thought they nailed the look of the film with the hair and costumes. I don't know the Queen's personality and whatever is written by it is through the filter of someone else. So whether or not Helen Mirren behaved like QEII did that week in August in the point for me. She looked the part, there are corgis and black labs in the right places, the Hermes headscarf.

Totally opposite of the Tudors or The White Queen where the costuming was awful and basically were glorified soap opera with historical characters.

I watched the Marco Polo series from Netflix and it looked gorgeous visually.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Jacknch 08-19-2015 03:56 PM

My goodness, I think the budget for this series must be huge - the costumes look like they are exact copies! Really beautiful.

Honeybees 08-19-2015 04:12 PM

The photographs of the costumes are amazing. Great to see such accuracy.

ROYAL NORWAY 08-19-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1811594)
My goodness, I think the budget for this series must be huge - the costumes look like they are exact copies! Really beautiful.

They (the media) say 100m.

Princess Pris 08-19-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

It has $170 million budget.

soapstar 08-19-2015 04:48 PM

The costumes look great! I'm really looking forward to seeing this series.

Honeybees 08-19-2015 04:48 PM

I can see me wanting to watch this for the costumes alone. Given that she got an honour, HM must have been reasonablely happy with Helen Mirren's efforts?

Skippyboo 08-19-2015 05:04 PM

Helen is a Dame of the British Empire. The government picks who gets what for that order and the Queen gives it out. There are other orders such as the Garter, Thistle, Royal Victorian, Merit where is the Queen is the picker not the govt.

But they have met several times at various events since the movie and William made a granny joke at the Baftas so they can't think it was too terrible.

Honeybees 08-19-2015 05:08 PM

I don't think HM would have handed it over personally if she had very strong personal feelings, she could have dispatched PC or PW to do the honours instead. :)

An Ard Ri 08-19-2015 06:32 PM

Claire Foy played a very convincing but loathsome Anne Boleyn in the recent BBC series 'The Wolf Hall' .

John Lithgow will play Sir Winston Churchill.

The Crown (TV Series 2016– ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Daria_S 08-22-2015 03:26 PM

I'm somewhat excited about this series. The costumes look superb, and having seen Dame Helen Mirren in 'The Queen', as well as in 'The Audiemce', I'm pretty sure she'll do a fabulous job, if cast.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

ROYAL NORWAY 08-27-2015 04:03 AM

BBC lost The Crown jewel because it can't compete with Netflix - Telegraph
Quote:

The BBC pitched for blockbuster new royal drama The Crown but could not compete with the global financial might of Netflix, its head of television has admitted.

Danny Cohen, director of television, said the corporation wanted to broadcast The Crown, a landmark drama about the life of the Queen, considering it a "classic BBC subject".

But, he has disclosed, it could not keep up with the coffers of Netflix and lost out, despite its strong British connection.

In the end, the drama is set to become the most expensive Netflix drama to date, win a $100million budget.

"It's a classic BBC subject, but we couldn't compete with the amount of money Netflix were prepared to pay for that production, even though we would have loved to be a co-producer."
It's sad that the BBC no longer has the resources for such projects, and as Danny Cohen says, "It's a classic BBC subject."

ROYAL NORWAY 09-28-2015 02:02 PM

Matt Smith looks dashing as Prince Phillip while filming The Crown with Claire Foy | Daily Mail Online
Quote:

They are two of the country's best young acting talents.

And Matt Smith and Claire Foy certainly looked the part as they filmed scenes for forthcoming 10-part Netflix series The Crown at London's Lyceum Theatre on Saturday night.

The former Doctor Who star is portraying Prince Philip in the biographical drama while period drama favourite Claire is assuming the role of Queen Elizabeth II.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3399531453.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3399547389.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3399521469.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3399568749.jpg

Mermaid1962 09-28-2015 03:20 PM

:previous: If Matt Smith had redder hair in this, he'd look like Prince Harry. :biggrin: It makes sense to me, because I've long thought that Harry resembles Philip.:smile:

An Ard Ri 09-29-2015 05:45 AM

Claire Foy looks very much like the late queen Fabiola of Belgium in the above photos,I'm sure the producers would disagree with me!

ROYAL NORWAY 10-03-2015 06:21 AM

John Lithgow transforms into Winston Churchill on The Crown set | Daily Mail Online

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3795844676.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3797264227.jpg

Matt Smith listens to iPod on set of royal drama The Crown | Daily Mail Online

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3700474498.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3700486583.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...3700414991.jpg

An Ard Ri 10-03-2015 07:12 AM

Is there a release date yet for this series?

Empress Merel 10-03-2015 08:13 AM

I'm excited about this. Netflix has produced some brilliant tv series.

Cris M 01-06-2016 04:35 PM

The first trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Q0bJ_zO7w

Duchess of Durham 01-06-2016 04:46 PM

So excited to see this series.

ROYAL NORWAY 01-06-2016 05:56 PM

I cannot say I'm impressed, and when Prince Philip/Matt Smith said to the Queen/Claire Foy ''you are the Queen of England'' then I thought, no, she is not, she is the Queen of the United Kingdom.

An Ard Ri 01-06-2016 06:24 PM

I'm really looking forward to this series,has a release date been announced?

Dman 01-06-2016 06:26 PM

Can't wait to see this series.

Cris M 01-06-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1853715)

Not yet, it seems.

Roslyn 01-06-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1853708)
I cannot say I'm impressed, and when Prince Philip/Matt Smith said to the Queen/Claire Foy ''you are the Queen of England'' then I thought, no, she is not, she is the Queen of the United Kingdom.

Yes, but (IMO) Queen of England has more oomph than Queen of the United Kingdom.

This series looks great. I look forward to it.

Matt Smith looks nothing like Philip though. He has too much hair, and it's the wrong colour. Philip's hair always looked thin and pale to me, and slicked down with too much California Poppy.

Dman 01-06-2016 09:53 PM

I like how they are capturing the star quality of The Queen in her younger days. People must remember, before there was a Charles & Diana or William & Catherine, there was Elizabetn & Philip. They had the star factor back in the day.

HRHHermione 01-06-2016 10:07 PM

I truly can't wait for this- the trailer was outstanding.

GracieGiraffe 01-06-2016 10:45 PM

I don't think I've been disappointed yet in anything Netflix has done, it's no wonder their stock is through the roof. I'm looking very forward to this.

Ish 01-06-2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1853715)

Some time this year.

I'm fairly pleased by the trailer. The casting looks great - love who they have for Queen Mary, David, and Wallis, and Churchill. Little Charles and Anne in that first scene look adorable. Matt Smith definitely has an air about him that resembles the DoE, even if his hair isn't perfect (and he has eyebrows).

ROYAL NORWAY 01-07-2016 11:04 AM

Claire Foy and Matt Smith transform for Netflix's The Crown first-look trailer | Daily Mail Online

Queen Claude 01-16-2016 06:41 PM

Was Philip really Prince Petulant? Blazing rows. Bitter regrets. And seething resentment at having to bow to his Queen...just some of the astonishing claims about the Duke in 150m new royal biopic

• New series depicts young Prince unhappy after abandoning Naval duties
  • TV show also claims Duke was furious when children were named Windsor
  • The explosive scenes have been written by dramatist Peter Morgan
  • First series of episodes will cover the key events of the Queens early life

Osipi 01-16-2016 08:02 PM

None of these issues are strange to those of us that are familiar with the DoE. Most likely the "explosive" scenes are to be taken as poetic license and just a representation of what "may" or "could" have happened.

Wonder if they'll include a scene where Elizabeth heaves objects aimed at Philip retreating out the door of where they were staying in Australia back in 1954? That would make good copy.

When Queen Elizabeth threw tennis shoes and racquet at Prince Philip | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Curryong 01-16-2016 08:03 PM

I'm sure that Prince Philip did have some regrets about his constrained lifestyle after his marriage and, after 1952, the forced abondonment of his career in the Royal Navy. However this is a drama series therefore there has to be some conflict. Can't have the viewers dropping off to sleep!

HRHHermione 01-16-2016 08:29 PM

I'm really, really looking forward to this series. I wish they'd tell us when it will be released.

Skippyboo 01-16-2016 09:25 PM

Philip had to know that he would have to eventually give up his Naval career when he asked Elizabeth to marry him. It would have been hard for Philip being such the alpha male to carve out his own role different from what a Queen Consort would do. Imagine if Hillary Clinton becomes President with First Lady Bill. It a similar problem.

Cris M 01-16-2016 09:34 PM

He certainly knew he'd have to give up his Naval career at some point, but I don't think he expected it'd happen so soon after his marriage.

The young Princess Elizabeth and her husband probably thought they'd have 15-20 years, if not more, before her ascension to the throne.

Duke of Marmalade 01-17-2016 03:14 AM

When looking at how snappy Philip can be even at 95, it is easy to believe that there were 'blazing rows' from time to time early in the marriage. He's a men's man, and must have been the ultimate sacrifice to him to put the service to the crown before everything else. The marriage certainly wasn't easy, but Philip has always known his place.

Mbruno 01-17-2016 03:59 AM

Quote:

The wedding tiara doesn't look at all like an exact copy.

An Ard Ri 01-17-2016 04:33 AM

The Cast

Claire Foy as Princess Elizabeth/Queen Elizabeth II
Matt Smith as Philip Mountbatten/Prince Philip
John Lithgow as Sir Winston Churchill
Greg Wise as Lord Louis Mountbatten
Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret
Jared Harris as George VI
Andy Sanderson as Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester
Michael Culkin as Rab Butler
Nicholas Rowe as Jock Colville
Amir Boutrous as Gamal Abdel Nasser
Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary
Harriet Walter as Clementine Churchill
Jeremy Northam as Anthony Eden
Alex Jennings as Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor
David Shields as Colin Tennant
Josh Taylor as Johnny Dalkeith
Rosalind Knight as Princess Alice of Battenberg

Skippyboo 01-17-2016 08:39 AM

Alex Jennings was Charles in The Queen written by the same guy now he is Duke of Windsor.

An Ard Ri 01-28-2016 05:59 PM

Could this series about the British Monarchy be Netflix's new 'Downton Abbey'?

Here's the Trailer for 'The Crown', The Period Drama Netflix Spent a Whopping $156 Million to Make - TV Preview - Zimbio

Dman 04-11-2016 12:21 PM

James Brookes ‏@james_elliott_ 3h3 hours ago
Netflix have announced their multi-million pound series #TheCrown will debut on Friday 4 November 2016.

HRHHermione 04-11-2016 01:35 PM

So far away! I want it now. I think that series will be incredible

An Ard Ri 04-15-2016 03:21 PM

Its quite a wait until November but it will be something to look forward to as the nights get darker and colder!

An Ard Ri 07-31-2016 03:33 PM

Not sure how true this is!

'Royal Family is very nervous for Netflixs The Crown

Royal Family is “very nervous” for Netflix’s ‘The Crown’ – Royal Central

An Ard Ri 09-26-2016 04:59 PM

'The Crown' Premieres On Netflix November 4th

‘The Crown’ Premieres On Netflix November 4 — But It’s Already A 2017 Emmys Frontrunner | Decider | Where To Stream Movies & Shows on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, HBO Go

AdmirerUS 09-26-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1913074)
Not sure how true this is!

'Royal Family is very nervous for Netflixs The Crown

Royal Family is “very nervous” for Netflix’s ‘The Crown’ Royal Central

I think many would agree that this bit is true, " just think shes [Her Majesty] a very, very, very good, good, good person who has given her life for her country." :smile:

Curryong 09-26-2016 07:49 PM

I hope it's shown in Australia, as I'm sure it will be at some stage. I want to at least take a look to see if it's any good.

Ish 09-26-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1927092)
I hope it's shown in Australia, as I'm sure it will be at some stage. I want to at least take a look to see if it's any good.

Doesn't Netflix release it's original programming across all countries at the same time?

An Ard Ri 09-27-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1927096)
Doesn't Netflix release it's original programming across all countries at the same time?

To the best of my knowledge yes they do.

Cris M 09-27-2016 11:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0

An Ard Ri 10-01-2016 06:27 AM

A little over a month to go,really looking forward to this series!

Marty91charmed 10-01-2016 08:05 AM

Will it be available only with Netflix? i don't want to subscribe just to see this series... :/

Skippyboo 10-01-2016 08:34 AM

There maybe DVDs released but that doesn't happen with tv shows until the next season comes out. I know Orange is the New Black which is Netflix original has season dvds.

The episodes will drop all together. So you can just pay for a month, watch the episodes then cancel. Do the same next year with the new season. One month of Netflix is cheaper than buying the box set of the show on DVD.

Netflix usually has a free trial month or your friends who have Netflix maybe generous with their log in information.

PetticoatLane 10-03-2016 05:04 PM

Apparently, The Crown is the most expensive television show ever made.

Quite astonishing to think that this American company chooses to lavish this unprecedented amount of money on a TV programme about the British Royal Family. Testament, I suppose, to the fact the Queen in particular is a truly iconic figure.

Supposedly the RF were 'nervous' about the programme but, in their 5 star review of the first two episodes, The Daily Telegraph says they have nothing to worry about. They say it's actually a 'PR triumph' for the RF:

The Crown: Netflix's astonishing royal gamble pays off – review

Very much looking forward to this!

AdmirerUS 10-03-2016 07:05 PM

JMO - the series is being made in the US because there are fewer restrictions and less likelihood of undue influence. And by undue, I mean there will be few legal restrictions here (beyond libel - but they will get around that by saying it is fictionalized).

But it will be sold all over the world. Just as it would had it been made in the UK.

I hope they do a quality job and make it worth watching for the history. I hope they don't send it into the trashy zone - though that could happen. We will see.

A lot will depend on how charismatic they write the leading characters to be. I've always seen the Queen as compelling rather than charismatic. But they will probably write all the main characters to be charismatic and emotional rather than in control and subtly fascinating.

We will see.

Skippyboo 10-03-2016 07:40 PM

They didn't make the series in the US. It was filmed in the U.K. Netflix isn't going to sell it to other channels in different countries. They want you to join Netflix to watch it not watch on PBS. It's just going to be on Netflix and then a box set of DVDs if successful. Netflix has made epic in scope shows before like Marco Polo which was filmed in various countries.

ladongas 10-04-2016 05:45 AM

Tom and Lorenzo weigh in

Netflix's "The Crown" - New Trailer and New Images | Tom + Lorenzo

An Ard Ri 10-10-2016 07:08 AM

The Crown: Netflix's astonishing royal gamble pays off review

The Crown: Netflix's astonishing royal gamble pays off – review

Cris M 10-13-2016 03:54 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNZO1sHNyI

ANNIE_S 10-13-2016 04:13 PM

I'm really looking forward to this ;)

I hope the waiting will be worthy...

HRHHermione 10-13-2016 04:34 PM

I absolutely cannot wait for this show.

Dman 10-17-2016 04:23 PM

Netflix's eagerly-anticipated The Crown is the most lavish biopic ever, says HUGO VICKERS | Daily Mail Online

I'm not sure it's possible to get everything right with movies and documentaries about the royals.

WreathOfLaurels 10-17-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1932786)
Netflix's eagerly-anticipated The Crown is the most lavish biopic ever, says HUGO VICKERS | Daily Mail Online

I'm not sure it's possible to get everything right with movies and documentaries about the royals.

Hugo Vickers is one of the more reverent Royal historians; if he's complaining about the Windsors acting like what most wealthy upper class people did at the time than I'd say the series is probably on the money in terms of accuracy of sentiment.

Dman 10-17-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels (Post 1932788)
Hugo Vickers is one of the more reverent Royal historians; if he's complaining about the Windsors acting like what most wealthy upper class people did at the time than I'd say the series is probably on the money in terms of accuracy of sentiment.

I think that's the problem. Some just don't want people to think the royals pretty much act like upper class people and everybody else. There may be some errors though.

WreathOfLaurels 10-17-2016 05:05 PM

Agreed, it's unlikely she was taking advice from uncle David at that time and princess Margaret didn't have the dicipline for being a proper regent. That said, Bertie's potty mouth, wallis's pillow talk, and Edens drug habit all sound accurate to me.

Also what's wrong with showing just how much of a sick man G6 was at the time? Cancer in the old days prior to chemo and radio therapy was pretty much a death sentence along with it being taboo in general meant that Bertie vomiting blood would have been the least of his symptoms.

RoyalHighness 2002 10-17-2016 05:21 PM

I know this is kind of cheesy, But Queen Mary talking to Elizabeth about how the Crown must win was so beautiful to me.

Skippyboo 10-17-2016 05:35 PM

And total fiction.

cepe 10-17-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1932794)
And total fiction.

Thats what everyone needs to realise. This is made up dialogue.

RoyalHighness 2002 10-17-2016 06:46 PM

I never said it was reality, I just like the speech and how convincing it was.

cepe 10-17-2016 06:56 PM

I think the real issue between this and (say) Victoria is that the 2 main characters are alive so errors of dialogue or interpretation of events could impact on them.
Its not about minor errors (wrong title) or clothes or even products that hadn't been invented - its giving the living alleged motivations or opinions.

But I dont think it will upset the BRF as much as the "experts"

tommy100 10-17-2016 07:22 PM

The whole film 'the Queen' was largely invented dialogue, as the writer has said he aims to get the truth of what was said in meaning but not in the actual words spoken.

The RF have kept silent on this new series and I suspect that rather like when "The Queen' was released they will wait to see public reaction to it before reacting themselves.

Skippyboo 10-17-2016 07:31 PM

I have never seen any comments from a Royal about The Queen. They aren't going to comment on this show either.

Dman 10-17-2016 07:41 PM

The dialogue is made up. One will never know the real dialogue the actual people have.

cepe 10-17-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 1932809)
The whole film 'the Queen' was largely invented dialogue, as the writer has said he aims to get the truth of what was said in meaning but not in the actual words spoken.

The RF have kept silent on this new series and I suspect that rather like when "The Queen' was released they will wait to see public reaction to it before reacting themselves.

I am probably being stupid but how on earth does the writer aim to get the meaning of what was said when neither he or anyone else knows what was said?

I agree about the BRF wait and see attitude.

LadyRohan 10-17-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1932814)
I am probably being stupid but how on earth does the writer aim to get the meaning of what was said when neither he or anyone else knows what was said?

I agree about the BRF wait and see attitude.

This writer, like any other writer trying to reproduce actual events, has to create appropriate dialogue and language based on what is known and available. We know some factual things, and those who create dialogue take it from there, making it both realistic and entertaining at the same time.

It is a tv-show, aiming to show a very grand happening from a more insider-angle. There is nothing wrong with that.
The Queen and the Windsor RF won't be fussed about this series. 'I must be seen to be believed' is a quote I seem to remember being attributed to the Queen. Well, this series brings 60-70 year old events to the forefront of the minds of new generations. That's a good thing in itself, and as the Queen continues to serve as the now longest-reigning living monarch or head of state in the world, it may remind us all just a little of what she went through, almost 65 years ago, when she became a woman ruler in a post-war world.

cepe 10-17-2016 08:59 PM

:previous:I understand that but I think this writer is just a poser.

This is a work of fiction using real life characters.

I dont think the BRF will care unless it includes something seriously detrimental - unlikely IMO

Ana Von Cleves 10-17-2016 09:51 PM

Spot on

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1932821)
:previous:I understand that but I think this writer is just a poser.

This is a work of fiction using real life characters.

I dont think the BRF will care unless it includes something seriously detrimental - unlikely IMO

Just like any other historical fiction using a loose framework of real events and real people. The problem is that this is how most people get their history. They don't see it as a work of fiction.

MARG 10-17-2016 11:13 PM

:previous: Precisely! Who among us hasn't cringed at people waxing lyrical about the "Stag" scene in "The Queen", all having the warm fuzzies and talking about what HM thought and felt and, some even about what the wretched stag thought and felt. All total saccharine bollocks!

HRHHermione 10-18-2016 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 1932831)
:previous: Precisely! Who among us hasn't cringed at people waxing lyrical about the "Stag" scene in "The Queen", all having the warm fuzzies and talking about what HM thought and felt and, some even about what the wretched stag thought and felt. All total saccharine bollocks!

It's almost like it's historical fiction which often incorporates metaphors.

Cris M 10-20-2016 02:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkt2U9_Ha98

BritishRoyalist 10-21-2016 01:11 AM

I can't wait to watch this. the trailer look really good!

MARG 10-21-2016 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1932835)
It's almost like it's historical fiction which often incorporates metaphors.

Exactly! It is all absolute fiction except that which played out in the public arena. Elizabeth's marriage, her father's funeral, her coronation, all those things we saw on film no less, but as soon as they are out of the public eye it becomes a work of total fiction.

Some events are of course based on fact, but precisely who said what to whom and who felt what is entirely the invention of writers and unfortunately, the vast majority of audiences seem unable to distinguish between fact and fiction let alone metaphors!

wartenberg7 10-21-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 1933367)
Exactly! It is all absolute fiction except that which played out in the public arena. Elizabeth's marriage, her father's funeral, her coronation, all those things we saw on film no less, but as soon as they are out of the public eye it becomes a work of total fiction.
Some events are of course based on fact, but precisely who said what to whom and who felt what is entirely the invention of writers and unfortunately, the vast majority of audiences seem unable to distinguish between fact and fiction let alone metaphors!

I agree and fear youre right!:ermm:

But I was absolute thrilled to see how accurate they seemed to have worked on the wardrobe. I mean, the coronation dress and jewels worn on that specific day look as if they borrowed the original items from the Palace!

AdmirerUS 10-26-2016 09:57 AM

Upbeat actors making the press rounds here. I do love John Lithgow.
Lithgow and Foy on new royal drama, "The Crown" - Videos - CBS News
Charlie Rose has also done an interview, but the video is not posted yet. I'll share when it comes up.

An Ard Ri 10-28-2016 05:24 PM

Roll on November 4tth!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand...illion-series/

Rudolph 10-31-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

From Lord of Time to Duke of Edinburgh, Matt Smith will be playing Prince Philip in Netflix's lavish royal drama The Crown.

The 10-part first season will drop this Friday (November 4) - but Smith told Hello! that a chance meeting with Prince William last year helped him prepare for the role.

The pair crossed paths at a charity polo match, so Smith couldn't resist asking Wills "if he had any advice".

"He said, 'Just one word - legend.' And he's right, Philip was a bit of a rock star, really."
Read more: Matt Smith reveals he asked Prince William for advice on how to play Prince Philip in The Crown

An Ard Ri 11-03-2016 12:39 PM

NY Times Review: Netflix Does Queen Elizabeth II in The Crown, No Expense Spared.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/ar...zabeth-ii.html

jneugeba 11-04-2016 12:51 PM

Who else is binge watching? I'm a few episodes in so far. John Lithgow as Churchill has stolen the show for me so far. No matter how "historical" it is, it is gorgeously done and highly watchable.

Dman 11-04-2016 12:53 PM

I'll start today.