The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   Education of the Cambridge Children (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/education-of-the-cambridge-children-35822.html)

amaryllus 09-17-2013 04:11 PM

Education of the Cambridge Children

I see them going the regular prep schools then boarding route, as William seemed to have no problems and made lifelong friends.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Lumutqueen 09-17-2013 05:20 PM

I hate to be the one to say, is it just a little bit too early for this?

US Royal Watcher 09-17-2013 05:27 PM

It will be interesting to see if Prince George goes to boarding school. I agree that both William and Harry enjoyed their time at Eton, but I don't think Catherine went to a boarding school.

William and Catherine have demonstrated that they will break with the past not hiring a full-time nanny at this point, so I expect they will be independent in other decisions. The Queen and Prince Philip sent Prince Charles to a public school rather than use tutors. Prince Charles and Diana sent William and Harry to Eton. I can see William and Catherine setting out a new path, too.

Mirabel 09-17-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher (Post 1600412)
The Queen and Prince Philip sent Prince Charles to a public school rather than use tutors. Prince Charles and Diana sent William and Harry to Eton. I can see William and Catherine setting out a new path, too.

Eton was Diana's choice, but Charles detested Gordonstoun, so naturally he didn't want to send his own sons there.

William and Harry did seem to like Eton very much, and it has the advantage of being located very near Windsor Castle, so I expect William will also send George there.

amaryllus 09-17-2013 06:04 PM

You may be right but Royal princes have been going to Eton or The Royal Navel college instead of only tutors since the beginning of the 20th century at least. So nothing really progressive about that.

Catherine Attended Down house as a day girl and also Marlborough College but I am not sure if she border there.

NGalitzine 09-17-2013 06:21 PM

Catherine was a boarder at both Downe House (which she did not like) and at Marlborough.
I expect George will attend a day school near KP like Wetherbys, and then go off to Ludgrove and Eton since William seemed to have enjoyed both and made some life long friends. Follow Eton up with a university of Georges choice and then later Sandhurst or Dartmouth. I dont expect his education to be anything but the traditional prep for a King. Cannot see him going to the local state school system at all.

LadyCatharine 09-17-2013 07:44 PM

Ugh, we have a few years, lets just enjoy the infant,have fun THEN the education will commence

amaryllus 09-17-2013 07:53 PM

We are. but fun discussion is not hurting anything is it?

Andolini 09-17-2013 08:35 PM

I'm just grateful it's not about hair.

suztav 09-17-2013 09:08 PM

A bit premature conversation considering George can't even hold up his own head yet! :)

NGalitzine 09-17-2013 09:47 PM

Not too premature, boys get their names put down for Eton almost at birth.

Dee Anna 12-28-2016 06:58 AM

Reports are George will attend the same school as his dad and Harry close to KP, assuming in September. Not a major surprise really, just wondering now where Charlotte will start her schooling career. I don't remember the boys going to pre-school.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...on-school.html

TLLK 12-28-2016 10:42 AM

Dee Anna-:smile: the brothers attended Mrs Mynor's NurserySchool before moving on to Wetherby.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/...rince-william/

Osipi 12-28-2016 04:29 PM

Definitely the most important factor of where they go to school is the education that they receive. Along with the children that they'll interact with and the ease of having royal protection in the background, the idea is to have a good learning environment for the child. A child that comes from a very well-to-do family is as apt to be a bully or a genius as a child from a low income family that has been granted a scholarship. In early school years, children have not yet learned the ins and outs of prejudices except that boys may still go "ewwww! girls".

Both William and Harry have grown up to be men that actively show caring and compassion in the work that they do to aid and make the world a better place by supporting organizations that aid and support those that need it to have a better life. That is learned at home by example. Its not a guaranteed character trait that is taught in a curriculum.

If George and Charlotte follow in the examples that their parents have set, they're going to be well rounded, caring adults. There will expectations set for them because they're part of the royal family but going to school, their primary aim is to get an education that prepares them for the world around them.

Dee Anna 12-28-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1950247)
Dee Anna-:smile: the brothers attended Mrs Mynor's NurserySchool before moving on to Wetherby.

Prince William's first day at nursery compared to Prince George's

Thanks TLLK :smile: I remember the pics of the boys starting official school, but nothing before that.

I do remember thinking the unifroms were very official!

TLLK 12-28-2016 07:27 PM

You're very welcome.:smile:

muriel 12-29-2016 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1950281)
There are varying degrees of private school. There are those which cost as low as 5000/year which is do able for lower income families with sacrifices and hard work. Then there are schools like Wetherby which three terms is about equally the average annual income in London. With only two scholarships, which are in the upper schools and split between several schools, there is also no financial aid..

I do not believe there are any private schools in central London that offer education, even at the primary level, for around c£5,000 a year. Are you able to provide some examples?

Countessmeout 12-29-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1950437)
I do not believe there are any private schools in central London that offer education, even at the primary level, for around c£5,000 a year. Are you able to provide some examples?

I took the information from this

Your budget and School Fees | Best Schools

muriel 12-29-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1950490)
I took the information from this

Your budget and School Fees | Best Schools

Did not see any central London schools at the price points you suggested. Am I missing something?

Osipi 12-29-2016 06:26 PM

I'm not sure if this qualifies or not but here in the US, parochial schools are considered "private". I did some checking and found one in London where the tuition is roughly around 5K per term.

Fees | St Benedicts School

Osipi 12-30-2016 02:55 AM

I take it that the information on the school I found in London doesn't apply then?

I know things are different in the UK than in the States but here we do deem parochial schools as private schools with higher tuition and acceptance policies.

Spheno 12-30-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1950613)
I take it that the information on the school I found in London doesn't apply then?

I know things are different in the UK than in the States but here we do deem parochial schools as private schools with higher tuition and acceptance policies.

From your source:
Pre-Prep Department (aged 4 to 7 years): £4,040.00 per term (not per year)

eya 12-30-2016 08:41 AM

TOM UTLEY: Dear Prince George, as one Wetherby boy to another, at least you won't have to deal with Mrs Russell | Daily Mail Online

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...it-elitism-row

"Princ's George private school 900 pound outfit sparks elitism row"

Dee Anna 12-30-2016 12:47 PM

Very amusing!!

I know many of William and Harry's longterm friends stem from their school days, do any go back as far as Wetherby?

This is a boys school so Charlotte will go elsewhere. What likely facilities are there nearby for her?

Countessmeout 12-30-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Anna (Post 1950691)
Very amusing!!

I know many of William and Harry's longterm friends stem from their school days, do any go back as far as Wetherby?

This is a boys school so Charlotte will go elsewhere. What likely facilities are there nearby for her?

Wetherby has a sister school, Pembridge, which would be a good possibility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembridge_Hall_School

But I am sure some of their friends and extended family with girls in school in London will have suggestions as well.

Pranter 12-30-2016 01:23 PM

Where did the York girls attend?

LaRae

Countessmeout 12-30-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 1950698)
Where did the York girls attend?

LaRae

They went to school in Windsor, near the family home.

Started studying at Winkfield Montessori and then went to Upton house.

https://www.winkfieldmontessori.co.uk/
https://www.uptonhouse.org.uk/

Eugenie later attended st George's, Windsor. This is the school lady Louise currently attends. But she finished her schooling at Marlborough, the school Kate went to.

Beatrice attended st George's as well but the ascot location. Unlike Eugenie, she finished her schooling there.

The duke of Gloucester sent his daughters here, which is in notting hill

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kens...aratory_School

Jacknch 12-30-2016 01:58 PM

In case anyone is interested, we have the following thread to discuss British Royal Education:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ion-35307.html

SLV 12-30-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1950704)
In case anyone is interested, we have the following thread to discuss British Royal Education:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ion-35307.html

Thanks Jack.
Could some of the current posts about the topic be moved there? The last post on that thread was made very long ago.

Dee Anna 01-08-2017 04:05 AM

The school fees alone sets it apart from your average school so not sure why the uniform cost would stir up an elitism debate.

hel 01-14-2017 09:50 PM

Camilla T has an article about George in tomorrow's Sunday Express that does purport to have new information:

Prince George school plans: The royal child will attend different school | Royal | News | Daily Express

TL : DR - Rather than enrolling George at Wetherby, they're considering enrolling him at the brand new Wetherby - Kensington satellite location because it's a) closer, b) smaller and c) won't have so many celebrity kids as the Notting Hill Wetherby, thereby cutting down on the number of paps.

With that said, the claim of a five-minute walk from KP don't seem to be borne out by Google Maps, based on the location of the new satellite school given on the Wetherby website.

cepe 01-14-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hel (Post 1954367)
Camilla T has an article about George in tomorrow's Sunday Express that does purport to have new information:

Prince George school plans: The royal child will attend different school | Royal | News | Daily Express

TL : DR - Rather than enrolling George at Wetherby, they're considering enrolling him at the brand new Wetherby - Kensington satellite location because it's a) closer, b) smaller and c) won't have so many celebrity kids as the Notting Hill Wetherby, thereby cutting down on the number of paps.

With that said, the claim of a five-minute walk from KP don't seem to be borne out by Google Maps, based on the location of the new satellite school given on the Wetherby website.

IF this story is true, sending George there will increase the number of paps.

It's the same school. different location.

TLLK 01-14-2017 10:01 PM

Thanks for the information hel. Curious to see if this will be the case come fall.

hel 01-14-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1954375)
IF this story is true, sending George there will increase the number of paps.

It's the same school. different location.

I had the same thought myself, Cepe, about the number of paps.

I'm sorry, I thought specifying that it was a satellite school was adequate to express that I knew it was the same school, different location. I apologize for being unclear.

cepe 01-14-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hel (Post 1954378)
I had the same thought myself, Cepe, about the number of paps.

I'm sorry, I thought specifying that it was a satellite school was adequate to express that I knew it was the same school, different location. I apologize for being unclear.

No - you were clear, its the article which says different school! :flowers:

Sunday papers do produce masses of fluff!

royal rob 01-14-2017 10:24 PM

Well if he's mixing with children from celebs or not it seems he won't be mixing with girls !! I am soo against single sex schools so I better not get involved in this topic or I will end up getting a life ban here 😱

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Skippyboo 01-14-2017 10:27 PM

Isn't there laws about photographing underage kids without their parents permission. I can't imagine the police allowing the paps to camp in front of a school every day. There will be pictures on his first day when his parents take him.

We didn't really see a constant stream of photos from William and Harry going to school. George isn't going to be walking to school. His police detail will take him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal rob (Post 1954383)
Well if he's mixing with children from celebs or not it seems he won't be mixing with girls !! I am soo against single sex schools so I better not get involved in this topic or I will end up getting a life ban here 😱

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

He is mixing with a girl everyday in the form of his little sister.

hel 01-14-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1954384)
Isn't there laws about photographing underage kids without their parents permission. I can't imagine the police allowing the paps to camp in front of a school every day. There will be pictures on his first day when his parents take him.

We didn't really see a constant stream of photos from William and Harry going to school. George isn't going to be walking to school. His police detail will take him.

The article's claim is that, while the paps are prohibited from taking pictures of the kids of celebs, pick-up and drop-off times become something of a salmon run for pictures of the parents, with paps being the bears waiting eagerly for multitudes of tasty fish to swim by sans spawn.

Skippyboo 01-14-2017 10:42 PM

George's RPOs would have stay with him anyways so more than likely they will be the main people taking him to school.

Rudolph 01-14-2017 10:47 PM

The Editors' Code of Practice has this to say about children

i) All pupils should be free to complete their time at school without unnecessary intrusion.

ii) They must not be approached or photographed at school without permission of the school authorities.

iii) Children under 16 must not be interviewed or photographed on issues involving their own or another child’s welfare unless a custodial parent or similarly responsible adult consents.

iv) Children under 16 must not be paid for material involving their welfare, nor parents or guardians for material about their children or wards, unless it is clearly in the child's interest.

v) Editors must not use the fame, notoriety or position of a parent or guardian as sole justification for publishing details of a child's private life.

Ish 01-14-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1954384)

Are there? Certainly hasn't stopped the paps from taking numerous pictures of George whenever he's appeared in public (at official events or not). Nor has it prevented newspapers from publishing said pictures.

Countessmeout 01-14-2017 11:38 PM

Even if the story is true they may want to get facts straight. Location would not be a deciding factor. The school location in notting hill, according to google, is actually closer to Kensington palace. Neither us a five minute walk, more a five minute drive. Nottinghill would be a 15 minute walk vs 20 to the new one.

No matter which location, there will be paps for George. They won't escape that or lower it by moving.

Dee Anna 02-05-2017 08:34 AM

I expect school choices - and not just starter schools! - have been made for George and Charlotte since their earliest days on the planet.

The only thing new will be when we are made privy to them.

Skippyboo 02-05-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Anna (Post 1959072)
I expect school choices - and not just starter schools! - have been made for George and Charlotte since their earliest days on the planet.

The only thing new will be when we are made privy to them.

I would like to think that their parents would find the best school for each of them and that would require seeing how they both develop as they get older. William liked Eton but it may not be the best fit for George. Just like Gordonstoun wasn't the best fit for Charles and he was miserable during his time there. Kate had a bad school experience and her parents acted and switched her school.

Mirabel 02-24-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1959081)
I would like to think that their parents would find the best school for each of them and that would require seeing how they both develop as they get older. William liked Eton but it may not be the best fit for George. Just like Gordonstoun wasn't the best fit for Charles and he was miserable during his time there. Kate had a bad school experience and her parents acted and switched her school.

I've never understood why the BRF has been so reluctant to switch schools when younger royals are unhappy!

Charles hated Gordonstoun, the whole family knew he was miserable- so why leave him there?

William thought of leaving St. Andrews but the BRF was against it, and he finally switched majors and adjusted.

But what if he hadn't? Would he have been stuck there?

Skippyboo 02-24-2017 02:38 PM

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 2: May 2016

St Andrews and William was more he was feeling homesick. It happens to a lot of freshmen as you miss your old friends but fully haven't developed new friends yet. William also chose St Andrews himself. So it's not like his father picked it out for him.

Philip went to Gordonstoun so he thought it would toughen Charles up. The Queen turned all the family decisions to Philip because he was already playing second fiddle to her as Queen. It was also early 1960 and the upper class weren't in to the emotional health of children.

Spheno 02-24-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1963850)
St Andrews and William was more he was feeling homesick. It happens to a lot of freshmen as you miss your old friends but fully haven't developed new friends yet. William also chose St Andrews himself. So it's not like his father picked it out for him.

Philip went to Gordonstoun so he thought it would toughen Charles up. The Queen turned all the family decisions to Philip because he was already playing second fiddle to her as Queen. It was also early 1960 and the upper class weren't in to the emotional health of children.

And it was good decision for Charles. He become stronger. Imagine Charles leaving the Army as Edward. It would be real disaster.

Mirabel 02-24-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 1963864)
And it was good decision for Charles. He become stronger. Imagine Charles leaving the Army as Edward. It would be real disaster.

I disagree, I think it was a horrible decision.
No child should ever think of school as a prison sentence.

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).

HereditaryPrincess 02-24-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1963876)

As for toughening him up, I am of the opinion that children should never be subjected to that sort of toughening (though call it as it truly is- bullying).

I have to agree. As a victim of bullying myself, I am tired of the "you become tougher so it's a good thing" attitude which is something I myself have been told (even by my own former pastoral care teachers) and I also find it a rather old fashioned outlook of bullying. As you have said, what Charles experienced at Gourdonstoun was bullying and it's no good thing he had to endure it.

I hope that neither of George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather's.

cepe 02-24-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1963878)
I have to agree. As a victim of bullying myself, I am tired of the "you become tougher so it's a good thing" attitude which is something I myself have been told (even by my own former pastoral care teachers) and I also find it a rather old fashioned outlook of bullying. As you have said, what Charles experienced at Gourdonstoun was bullying and it's no good thing he had to endure it.

I hope that neither of George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather's.

Of course its old fashioned - he went to Gordenstoun in the 50s.

Life has changed, education has changed as well. Why think that it mistakes would be repeated?

Also add that Zara and Peter Philips attended Gordonstoun and enjoyed it.

Horses for courses!

Iluvbertie 02-24-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1963887)

Life has changed, education has changed as well. Why think that it mistakes would be repeated?

Horses for courses!

As did Andrew and Edward.

So of the 6 royals who have attended the school 5 loved it and 1 hated it.

Charles did love his time in Australia though so the style of school wasn't the issue but the way he was treated there - which I suspect would have been the case wherever he went. He was the future king so the boys took the opportunity to pick on him then knowing that later on they wouldn't be able to do so.

That sort of behaviour wouldn't be deemed acceptable in a school today but it was then.

Pranter 02-24-2017 10:59 PM

Harry took some hazing/harassment while he was at school, he mentioned it recently in an article I read.

LaRae

wbenson 02-25-2017 04:20 AM

Yes, Harry has said he wasn't very happy at Eton. Since that, I've wondered if if, somewhat ironically, he might have been happier at a school like Gordonstoun.

HereditaryPrincess 02-25-2017 04:45 AM

Education of the Cambridge Children

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1963887)

Horses for courses!

I think you need to re-read my post.

I didn't say that Charles's education was old fashioned. That whole "it's good as it makes you tougher"outlook on bullying itself is old-fashioned, is what I meant. Obviously Charles's school experience would be old fashioned in comparison to that of his grandchildren, but, as I said, that's not what I meant.

When I said "I hope that neither George or Charlotte will have a similar school experience to their paternal grandfather" I did not mean that "I hope they do not go to Gordonstoun". I meant that I hope they don't get bullied like their father did. Bullying, as I very well know, can happen anywhere, not just at Gordonstoun. I would also like to clear up that by this I don't mean that George will get bullied at school because as a victim myself I'd never like to predict that on anyone.

I am fully aware that more royals enjoyed Gourdonstoun than disliked, too. IIRC Edward was elected head boy in his final year.

But I doubt it will be on the list for George and or Charlotte as none of the younger generation (I'm thinking Princess Beatrice onwards) have been sent there.

Dee Anna 02-26-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1963896)
As did Andrew and Edward.

So of the 6 royals who have attended the school 5 loved it and 1 hated it.

Do we know that? That Charles didn't enjoy his school years we do know, how the rest felt is not open to the knowladge of the public domain as far as I know. :ermm:

Ipsi 03-24-2017 12:03 PM

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced that Prince George will attend Thomas's Battersea School in London from September 2017.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...04518615207936

George is growing up :')

Pranter 03-24-2017 12:12 PM

So...not where William attended pre-school (nursery school) IIRC.

Is this just a regular pre-school?

LaRae

Countessmeout 03-24-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 1970676)
So...not where William attended pre-school (nursery school) IIRC.

Is this just a regular pre-school?

LaRae

William went to Wetherbys, the school George was rumored to be going to.

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

https://www.thomas-s.co.uk/Battersea-Home

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Day fees are about 6100 a term according to Tattler
https://www.tatler.com/guides/schools...mass-battersea

HRHHermione 03-24-2017 12:39 PM

I'm glad they decided to send him to a co-ed school. I think it's a better option especially for kids that young.

miss whirley 03-24-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1970678)

And no, Thomas is not a regular school. Like Wetherbys, it belongs to a group of prepatory schools in London and is known as a feeder school to Eton. The major difference is it is co-educational meaning Charlotte likely will join her brother. It also is a popular feed school to Marlborough, Kate's old school as well as Eugenie which is a good possibility fir Charlotte one day.

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

The school also has afternoon kindergarten programs open to kids once they hit three. It's likely possible Charlotte will start, like George did, at three.

Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler

George was two in early 2016.

Pranter 03-24-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1970678)

Battersea | Thomas's London Day Schools

Thomas's, Battersea - Prep School Fees, Results & Alumni - 2016 Tatler Schools Guide - Tatler

George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae

Osipi 03-24-2017 01:11 PM

With Charlotte being over 2 years old when George starts going to school, I can bet my last banana that she'll want to go with him.

It would be kind of neat to have Charlotte enrolled in the same school as her brother as then he'll be able to "show her the ropes" so to speak and she'll always know that "big brother" is around to protect her. Or, if Charlotte is the go getter that she seems to be, bail her out of trouble when she needs it. :biggrin:

Going to the same school I think will create an even bigger bond between siblings.

Dman 03-24-2017 01:25 PM

Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.

Rudolph 03-24-2017 01:34 PM

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".

Pranter 03-24-2017 01:55 PM

I'm sure they will experience an uptick in enrollment or inquiries.

LaRae

Countessmeout 03-24-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 1970689)
George is coming 4 ..will be interesting to see if he stays here for the duration and if Charlotte joins him which I would think she would. Be nice to have them at the same school.

LaRae

The school is 4-13. It is quite likely that George would remain there until Eton. William changed schools at eight.

The school has a kindergarten program though which starts at three. But like the Montessori school George attended, kids can start earlier. They have to be two and a half when they start. Charlotte won't be until October. So we may see her join her big brother in January.

Ipsi 03-24-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1970699)
Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt
Message on Prince George's new school's website: "The Thomas's website is receiving a very high volume of traffic".

As it to be excepted v:rofl:

AdmirerUS 03-24-2017 03:18 PM

It looks like an engaging school! I'm enjoying how wrong the leaks and speculation were

Pranter 03-24-2017 03:23 PM

Me to AdmirerUS. They don't know what they think they do.

LaRae

PrincessofEurope 03-24-2017 03:40 PM

Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way

royal rob 03-24-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipsi (Post 1970672)
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have announced that Prince George will attend Thomas's Battersea School in London from September 2017.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...04518615207936

George is growing up :')

Great choice of a co-ed school

HereditaryPrincess 03-24-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 1970734)
Interesting choice but i suspect part of the decision came down to the fact the school is co-ed and Charlotte will be able to join her brother at the school.

Everyone has assumed that George will go to Eton after but can we really be certain, William and Kate have shown they want to bring their children up "their" way not necessarily the "royal" traditional way

I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.

muriel 03-24-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1970790)
I agree. I am intruiged in the choice of school too as it wasn't on my mental list of potential schools for George (and eventually Charlotte). I've never heard of the school before but it appears that it's a chain of schools as there are a few more. Now we know where George will spend his primary education, it will be interesting to see where he will go to secondary school when the time comes. However, it might also be interesting to note that Thomas's finishes at 13 which suggest that it's a feeder school for the public schools like Eton that start at that age. That's not to say that George will definitely go to Eton; but it seems like William and Catherine have plans to send him there or a similar school.

Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.

HereditaryPrincess 03-24-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1970793)
Most UK primary schools end at age 13 or 11, so nothing unique there.

Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...

Mirabel 03-24-2017 05:56 PM

Best Friends are banned at this school?

What happens if two children form a close friendship? They are then separated?

TLLK 03-24-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1970790)

I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.

Osipi 03-24-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1970802)

I seem to recall reading about a similar school and can't really remember who it was that attended. Maybe Kate?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that close friendships are encouraged but they discourage becoming a twosome unit who hang out together all the time and promote being on good and friendly terms with everyone and to be involved with all of your friends rather than be exclusive. I would imagine it builds up being able to work as a team with other people.

Then again, I could be way off base on this. :biggrin:

Iluvbertie 03-24-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1970696)
Good choice. I hope George get to meet and make friends with kids of different backgrounds and get a good quality education possible.

Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?

Skippyboo 03-24-2017 09:41 PM

It's quite possible that William could be King by the time George is ready for Eton or Marlborough. Even if William isn't King, both his and Kate's schedule will be quite heavy by that point. They may feel that boarding school will give the kids a bit of independence. If George is at Eton that's just a short walk to Windsor Castle.

Dman 03-24-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1970837)
Given the fees being charged the background won't be that varied - all rich, upper class kids. Remember that for many people the annual fees will be more than their annual salary.

If he was going to a local state school he might met a range of people from different backgrounds but he will stick to his own class (as did William with Diana's choice of schools for him - upper class rich kids).

He doesn't need that good an education - his life is mapped out for him. He can fail everything and still end up as the Head of State - sad fact but the reality.

I would hope that he is encouraged to do his best but he will know very early on that it will make no difference to his life outcome.

I hope he learns to read and write - something that many British kids can't do that well based on international rankings (and I know Australia is about the same with standards dropping so badly that what was taught in Year 3 when I started teaching in 1980 is now the standard we expect of Year 7 kids).

This choice doesn't surprise me as it was clear from very early on that William and Kate were going to do things differently to how they were done in the past.

I am expecting that neither child will go to boarding school. There are many excellent day private schools in London that also cost and arm and a leg so why send them to boarding school at all?

Well, there's some kids of different backgrounds that can afford schools like this. I just wish the kids the best in school. I wouldn't go back those torturous school days for nothing in the world.

Mirabel 03-24-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1970837)

Maybe that's just as well.
Didn't Charles complain that Gordonstoun was mainly affluent middle-class, not aristocracy, and for that reason he was bullied?

Diversity isn't necessarily a good thing in such cases.

cepe 03-24-2017 10:17 PM

It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.;)

miche 03-24-2017 10:32 PM

Forget French, its all about Chinese, Cepe.;)

Westfield Bakery 03-24-2017 11:45 PM

I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.

Countessmeout 03-25-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery (Post 1970860)
I can see George and Charlotte being in private schools, in England, not boarding schools. I believe Mr. and Mrs. Cambridge wants their children to have a modest lifestyle, not too lavish.

Their children live in a palace. Even if they go to a day school and not boarding school, there is nothing modest about their schooling.

Parents education choices tend to reflect their own experience. Charles and his brothers all went to Gordonstoun. He had a horrid time, and so chose to send his sons to Eton. Eton was popular with the Kents. The Duke, his father, brother and eldest son all attended.

William and Kate both went to boarding school. William enjoyed Eton. Skate enjoyed Marlborough. They may have chosen a school that goes to thirteen so the kids will be older for boarding school.

There is also sensible realities to boarding school. Their dad will be Prince if Wales when the time comes. Their patebts will constantly be traveling both in the UK and abroad. Having the kids in boarding school and home weekends offers some practicality.

Boarding schools are not just lavish places of snobbery.

They may choose other schools, but I'd be shocked if boarding schools are not chosen. They will just be like Louise, a bit older. Well we don't know where she us going in the fall.

muriel 03-25-2017 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1970846)
It isn't the "Upper classes" who send their children to schools like this.

This is upper middle class made up of bankers, brokers, business people, politicians, media types inc journalists etc.

these are the (cash) rich people. Upper classes have assets and not a lot of cash.

I like this choice, esp because it is co-ed. And also because its possible for the children to stay here until they are 13.

I think thats right, private schools in London and the SE are no longer just the preserve of the uber-rich. Large numbers of professional lawyers, accountants, doctors, bankers etc send their children to private scholls. There can be quite a lot of income disparities within these schools, as well as disparities as to backgrounds and ethnicities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1970846)

And if William and Catherine have any sense of the future, they will ensure that their children speak French.;)

You have identified the key point. The ability to converse in French or other European languages is the absolute benchmark to evaluate the education a future King receives, as well as his suitability for the role :flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1970797)
Yes, but I'm more familiar with children finishing at 11 so for me personally 13 seems like an unusual finishing age unless the child in question is going to go on to a secondary school that starts at that age. Perhaps for you it's different, but for me it's not, which is why I posted what I did. It's just a simple observation that wasn't meant to be read into too much...

The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school

Rudolph 03-25-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Prince George is starting his school days!

Kensington Palace announced today that Prince William and Princess Kate‘s eldest will attend Thomas’s Battersea School in London starting this September.

“Their Royal Highnesses are delighted to have found a school where they are confident George will have a happy and successful start to his education,” the palace said in a statement.

The school’s headmaster, Ben Thomas, also gave a statement through the palace about their future student.

“We are honored and delighted that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have chosen Thomas’s Battersea for Prince George,” Ben Thomas, Headmaster at Thomas’s Battersea said. “We greatly look forward to welcoming him and all of our new pupils to the school in September.”
Read more:Prince George Is Going to Thomas's Battersea School in London

Westfield Bakery 03-25-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1970898)

Prince George will do well there. He is a cute boy. A future duke. A future king.

Mirabel 03-25-2017 12:21 PM

Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?

Countessmeout 03-25-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1970802)

Here is an article from a few years ago. It's even more telling as it is about the very school George is attending. Explains more their reasoning behind it.

Children shouldn't have best friends, private school head argues - Telegraph

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1970971)
Why is George attending the Battersea branch of the school?

Isn't the branch in Kensington much closer to home?

I could be wrong but it's likely due to Charlotte. It seems by their choice for coed they want the kids together. Though there are several locations, there is only one kindergarten program. And it's located at Battersea. There is kindergarten and afternoon programs. Logistically makes sense to send both there, they can both stay at same location till 13.

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till November. She would have to wait till January.

hel 03-25-2017 01:56 PM

:previous: That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.

hernameispekka 03-25-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hel (Post 1970986)
:previous: That makes sense.

It's also possible that Battersea, being in one single location, is easier to secure. In contrast, it appears that the Kensington campus has separate buildings a few streets apart for the Lower and Preparatory schools, plus an annexe with some additional facilities also a few streets away from the other two buildings.

In the Kensington location, they'd have to prep* the Lower School building, then do additional work to prep the Prep School building, and then have RPOs covering both buildings while George has moved on to Prep School but Charlotte is still in the Lower School.

*by prep, I mean everything from creating security and evacuation plans up to any physical modifications they may make to the building.

Good points!

Ish 03-25-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1970980)

The kindergarten has two dates of entrance September and January. Charlotte won't be two and a half till October. She would have to wait till January.

I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.

MaiaMia_53 03-25-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1963876)

I totally agree with you. I understand that times were different when Charles was growing up, but IMO, Prince Philip was rather insensitive to Charles' personality. Today, more is understood about the importance of allowing children to develop at their own pace and to encourage and nurture the personalities they have rather than forcing strict adherence to status quo expectations.

It probably pays to understand Prince Philip's biography as well. He was fortunate in having an ingrained tough, optimistic personality which was helpful to him in dealing with the unstable and difficult family upbringing he experienced as a result of his father being exiled and stripped of his Greek royal title. As we all know, Princess Anne has the tough, no-nonsense personality that is similar to her father's. Prince Charles' personality is completely different, likely closer to his grandfather's (King George VI's). That could be one reason why his grandmother (the Queen Mother) was close to Charles -- she may have detected his similarities to her late husband. I wonder how much if anything Charles remembers of his grandfather before his death?

I also think Charles was adversely affected by being separated from his mother so often at such an early age due to the heavy mantle thrust upon her as Queen. There have been references to the fact of how the Queen now realizes how much her early married life was harshly impacted by her father's death necessitating her accession to the throne at the age of 25. It affected her relationship with Prince Philip as well, and that's one of the reasons why she deferred all personal family-related decisions to him. Had their early family life not been interrupted by royal duties, they may even have had their third and fourth children sooner without such a large gap in ages.

If he had been fortunate enough to develop a closer bond to both parents when he was very young, Charles may have been less awkward and unsure of himself as a youngster. He was closer to his grandmother (the Queen Mother) since he was around her more growing up. In his teens, Charles' Great Uncle Louis Mountbatten became a mentor, role model, and champion to him. I doubt that Charles ever warmed to his father, nor likely has a deep bond ever developed between Charles and his mother, the Queen. However, there probably is a reserved affection between Charles and the Queen, and a formal bond based on the position HRM holds and that Charles will one day inherit from her.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's choices for their children have likely been informed by their own upbringings and desires for their children to be well-rounded, well-adjusted and socialized with other children in order to have as much of a normal childhood as possible.

Countessmeout 03-25-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1970993)
I don't know what Battersea's requirements are, but it's conceivable that Charlotte could be starting nursery school or kindergarten in September - George was about 2 years and 5 months when he started nursery school, Charlotte will be 2 and 4 months in September. Depending on the school's age requirements and Charlotte's development she may start school in September.

George started school in January, at the very end. His birthday being in the end of July. He was two and a half.

The school, according to their own site, allows children who aren't yet three to enter. But they have to be two and a half. Charlotte isn't until November (for some reason originally had end of April birth in my head).

Rudolph 03-25-2017 03:07 PM

I'd love to see them go to Marlborough College together.

Skippyboo 03-25-2017 03:34 PM

I like the coed school for the early years. George and Charlotte can be in the same school. If George went to Eton and Charlotte to Marlborough, you have access for George to his grandfather or father at Windsor to help with his King training and the kids can form their own identity at their perspective schools. I'm 3 younger than my sister. It can be tough sometimes following in an elder siblings footsteps.

HereditaryPrincess 03-25-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1970893)
The 11 / 13 difference really arises from a private "Prep" school for boys vs a state school

Not necessarily. I live in Greater London and spent my primary education at a prep school (and am a woman; my prep school was co-educational like Thomas's) which finished at 11. There were two other prep schools in my local area that also finished at 11.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1970826)
I agree Hereditary Princess. I have a feeling that William and Kate will not be sending their children off to boarding school at 8 but will wait until they're older.

I'm glad that there's someone who is on the same page as me. :smile:

ladongas 03-25-2017 04:45 PM

The advantages of Eton...

After having gone to Eton, William and Harry have a large number of friends from their school days, and that's a good thing. Charles has never struck me as a person who has a lot of friends his own age.

Emme 03-25-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1970826)

I have the same feeling.