The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Princess Beatrix (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f158/queen-beatrix-announces-abdication-january-28-2013-a-34494.html)

fairy tale 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

Here is a livestream that will show the announcement.
NOS Nieuws - Livestream - Journaal 24

Al_bina 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

Queen Beatrix of Netherlands is to make a special announcement // KP.RU

Osipi 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe (Post 1510008)
It's got to be an abdication.

If it were Friso, they would be spotted by media flocking to his bedside. Nor would one expect his mother to have to face a TV camera and give the dreadful news.

I think if it was an announcement about Friso, it would be to announce his death. They very well possibly could have made a decision and kept it private with only family members there. We don't know. The more I do think about it, an abdication announcement makes more sense.

Empress Merel 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.

Lumutqueen 01-28-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdngirl (Post 1510022)

Really? How interesting. Is she ill?

Not as far as we know.

Either it's an announcement of Friso's death or Abdication.

Molly2101 01-28-2013 11:57 AM

Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

Lumutqueen 01-28-2013 11:59 AM

@RoyalReporter: Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte will address the nation after Queen Beatrix's speech tonight.

Osipi 01-28-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 1510028)
We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.

csw 01-28-2013 12:01 PM

I think it may well be her abdication. This will allow her to grieve without having to keep up appearances. I know I've worded this very badly. I hope my intent comes through. I know she is grieving already and continues to perform her duty admirably. I just think that with such an awful situation going on with her son, she may want to retreat a bit from public duties.

Charlotte_Aster 01-28-2013 12:02 PM

I read it twitter that that the PM will follow with a statement.
https://twitter.com/Rick_Evers/statu...33706814758912
Where is lucien when you need him?:whistling:

Edit: here's the official announcement of the PM's speech.
https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws/...-het-torentje/

dazzling 01-28-2013 12:02 PM

Oh my… An abdication. This is too soon for me to hear but I respect how she would like to rest and spend time with her family.

Lumutqueen 01-28-2013 12:04 PM

A hour is way too long!

Al_bina 01-28-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress Merel (Post 1510026)
She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.

It is quite an interesting tradition. Being King/Queen Regnant is a position to be held during one's lifetime. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter.
Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.

Molly2101 01-28-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1510033)
Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.

Oh my, a coronation! I had not even thought of that. It would be the first I will have ever seen too.

An hour is a long time to wait. I am ever so impatient.

lucien 01-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1509989)
HM Queen Beatrix will make an announcement at 19:00 in a special broadcast on television and radio. The RVD did not say anything about the content. The mesage has been recorded earlier today.

RVD: boodschap koningin om 19.00 - NOS Nieuws

----

The NOS claims that 'sources around the court' say that she will announce her abdication.

---

Live broadcast already started: NOS Nieuws - Livestream - Journaal 24

HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.

csw 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Rats - I have to teach a class during the time of the announcement and won't be able to see it live. :sad: I'll rush to the forums as soon as my class is over to read everyone's posts.

IloveCP 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 1510028)
Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

If that's so, that and Amalia will become an heir at 9!

Empress Merel 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 1510040)
It is quite an interesting tradition. Kings and Queens are considered to be a position for life. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter. Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.

I think there is something very nice about this tradition. She's abdicating as a vital, wise woman whom paved the way for her children and grandchildren. Making way for the young, so to speak.

But perhaps it's also the Dutch mentality. Our work is our work, not our life.

Charlotte_Aster 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

If it is an abdication, the Netherlands will have it's first king in 123 years.

Lumutqueen 01-28-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucien (Post 1510043)

HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.

Whilst it is likely, you cannot say for certain.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises