The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/)
-   -   General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 11: January - August 2013 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/general-news-about-frederik-mary-and-family-11-january-august-2013-a-34357.html)

dazzling 01-05-2013 04:59 AM

General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 11: January - August 2013

Welcome to
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family
Part 11

The previous can be found here

Here are some important
TRF Community Rules & FAQs
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy posting!:flowers:
Royal House of Denmark Mod's

biboquinhas 01-08-2013 05:51 AM

I cannot understand why a Christmas card have summer photos, to me that is really incredible and I doesn't support this ideia, a Christmas card should be in a winter scenario and of course with all six...not only the children...maybe at their home, near the fire place, or maybe in the garden with some snow, they use to include Ziggy has well, I really don't think this is a Christmas Card at all... I hope is not, it doesn't have any Christmas celebration, anything written at all and it isn't christmas and winter at all....

Archduchess Zelia 01-08-2013 06:14 AM

Why should a Christmas Card be christmas themed? The picture Mary and Frederik have chosen to be their Christmas Card depicts a sweet moment from the family's summer holiday (on Gråsten, I believe). Besides, I know the cards have been referred to as Christmas Cards for the last couple of years, however I'm pretty sure that they originated as New Years Cards.

FasterB 01-08-2013 06:37 AM

How often has Ziggy been pictured? :ermm:
Wasn´t it only the first two years (2004 + 2005)?

marfre 01-08-2013 06:47 AM

Ziggy has been on the card twice 2005 and 2009.

FasterB 01-08-2013 06:52 AM

Thanks, marfre :flowers:

So we can´t say "use to" as biboquinhas implies, as Ziggy has only been included two times out of 9 times :smile::tongue::smile:

antonieta 01-08-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 1502734)
I cannot understand why a Christmas card have summer photos, to me that is really incredible and I doesn't support this ideia, a Christmas card should be in a winter scenario and of course with all six...not only the children...maybe at their home, near the fire place, or maybe in the garden with some snow, they use to include Ziggy has well, I really don't think this is a Christmas Card at all... I hope is not, it doesn't have any Christmas celebration, anything written at all and it isn't christmas and winter at all....

Your words are my words, i agree entirely with you. In my modest opinion a christimas card should include christimas "things", with some kind of greetings, or message, or even an assignature, like the spanish one's (not wanted to make any comparissons). But yes, i hate this summer photo for a chistimas card, if it really was the meant!

And sorry for my english error's.

Muhler 01-08-2013 08:21 AM

According to Billed Bladet the text on the card reads: Happy New Year, in Danish, French and English. There is apparantly no "Merry Christmas".
So It isn't meant to be a Christmas card. Whice again means that any motive can be used.

Archduchess Zelia 01-08-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1502763)
According to Billed Bladet the text on the card reads: Happy New Year, in Danish, French and English. There is apparantly no "Merry Christmas".
So It isn't meant to be a Christmas card. Whice again means that any motive can be used.

Exactly. Thank you, Muhler, for clearing this up :flowers:
It's a New Years card and it's only natural that they used the picture they did.

AnnaNotherThing 01-08-2013 06:44 PM

Well, to be fair, summer is the season associated with Christmas in Australia...maybe Mary subconsciously sees summery images as being Christmassy...so myself as an Australian do not see anything out of place with a family Christmas/New Years card having a poolside/beachy image...it makes sense to us down under...and maybe there are two versions of their Christmas card?...a summery one for their Aussie friends and a Verbier one for their Northern Hemisphere venner ;)

Sun Lion 01-08-2013 09:03 PM

Happy New Year Everyone.

It's Wednesday 9th January morning in Australia, and I'm here in Adelaide with my husband's siblings for the holidays.

I've just flipped through the local newspaper- "the Advertiser" - and CPMary's girlfriend Amber Petty has a full page column about just arriving back here after spending Christmas and New Year in Denmark.

Amber goes on to describe the various Danish Christmas traditions she joined in with - such as attending an afternoon church service, holding hands and dancing around the tree singing songs she couldn't understand, and a traditional dinner that finished with the children being allowed to run to the tree to find what presents Santa had left. This all took place on the 24th. A second family meal together was held on the 25th.

Amber goes onto describe everyone watching the Queen's New Year's speech on TV on New Year's Eve, with a party organised for the "little ones" with their own mini fire-works show, followed by the adult version after they were in bed.

Midnight brought everyone back to the TV to watch the broadcast of the city's celebrations and the tradition of jumping off a chair to jump into the next year.

(Nice picture of Amber with her mast-head at the top of the page and large photo of Danes ice-skating in the Tivoli Gardens.)

Cheers Everyone. Sun Lion.

gerry 01-08-2013 10:11 PM

Thank you SO much Sun Lion for posting this intimate portrait of the Crown Prince Couple's christmas as experienced by BGF Amber Petty.:flowers: Are you able/willing to post a link to this article so we can also share your experience of la belle Amber ?:cool:

Sun Lion 01-09-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 1503015)
Thank you SO much Sun Lion for posting this intimate portrait of the Crown Prince Couple's christmas as experienced by BGF Amber Petty.:flowers: Are you able/willing to post a link to this article so we can also share your experience of la belle Amber ?:cool:

Hi gerry - sorry not to get back to you sooner, I ran up to the supermarket before the day got too hot here.

:dragon::sun:

The whole of Australia seems to be on fire with the heat-wave and high winds we've been having the last couple of weeks. (There was also a story in today's paper about people not being able to put fuel in their cars in some places, as it was so hot the petrol was vapourising.)

Would have been a shock for Amber after Denmark which she describes as "cold" and "damp". :penguin::penguin::penguin:

Nice article by Amber extolling the Danes for upholding their traditions.

She also mentions the tradition of the whole family decorating the tree together, the day before Christmas Eve, and the tradition of families getting together on Boxing Day.

(Amber must have a regular weekly full page column in this newspaper - it's called "Amber Petty ON WEDNESDAYS" - I just found last week's paper - she's quoting a friend about botox, and cosmetic surgery on breasts - !).

I haven't linked before gerry, so will give it a go and see if I can.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

windsorgirl 01-09-2013 01:03 AM

Here is the article to which Sun Lion refers:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/o...-1226549799011

Sun Lion 01-09-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsorgirl (Post 1503067)

Hi windsorgirl - thanks for your help. :star:

gerry - layout is different to printed newspaper - should also be able to be sourced at Amber Petty | in time to come - top story is still last week's column at the moment, by the look of it.

Cheers All, Sun Lion. :crown3::sun:

polyesco 01-09-2013 01:57 AM

a nice article about Danish Christmas. thanks windsorgirl for the link and sun lion for describing it.
at first i thought Amber might be crossing a line but the article could have been about any Danish Christmas (im assuming)...not too intimate details of the cp family

FasterB 01-09-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1502973)
large photo of Danes ice-skating in the Tivoli Gardens.)

I just saw that photo online from the link windsorgirl provided. It must be an old onem since there hasn´t been an icerank in Tivoli at Christmas for years :flowers:

Another thing: Quote from the article:
Quote:

The following day, being the 25th and what they call their second Christmas Day, is the opportunity to have another family meal and more time spent together.
No, we don´t call the 25th the Second Christmas Day. We call it Christmas Day or First Christmas Day.
The 26th is called Second Christmas Day :flowers:

Muhler 01-09-2013 04:21 AM

Thanks Sun Lion & Windsorgirl :flowers:

That gave us a very good glimpse into how M&F celebrated Christmas. And they did it the traditional Danish way, which differs from Mary - and Frederik's childhoods.

UserDane 01-09-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1503114)

That gave us a very good glimpse into how M&F celebrated Christmas. And they did it the traditional Danish way, which differs from Mary - and Frederik's childhoods.

Indeed - this settled the question which Danish watchers of the DRF have been asking themselves since Christian was born: Do they .... or do they not dance around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve! ;):flowers:
And they do!!! No more worries about four kids at Amalienborg being deprived of one of the most basic joys of a Danish Christmas!;)

nwinther 01-09-2013 09:04 AM

Peculiar how much animosity there is towards AP in the comments on that article. I know that there are some that find her... unagreeable. But there are rather mean-toned comments about AP's relationship with christianity coming from apparantly devout christians!!!

Can't help but quote Wierd Al Yankovic (Amish Paradise):

"'Cause you know I'm a million times as humble as thou art".

Anyway, I wrote a comment explaining that while Christmas may refer to Christ in the English language - it doesn't in Danish, where Jul (Yule in English) is of pagan origin and christianity is just piggybacking on the celebrations. Hell, we even praise and celebrate nisser (scandinavian type of leprechaun) - satanic demons according to some priests.
In actuality Jul is a celebration of winter-solstice. Something few Australians can comprehend the significance of, if they haven't been north of the 50th parallel for an extended period.

GracieGiraffe 01-09-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1503114)

Frederik did not celebrate Christmas in a traditional Danish way as a child? That does seem odd to me. Can you elaborate for us?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1502907)
Well, to be fair, summer is the season associated with Christmas in Australia...maybe Mary subconsciously sees summery images as being Christmassy...so myself as an Australian do not see anything out of place with a family Christmas/New Years card having a poolside/beachy image...it makes sense to us down under...and maybe there are two versions of their Christmas card?...a summery one for their Aussie friends and a Verbier one for their Northern Hemisphere venner ;)

That's a good point and I think you are right. Mary will always see Christmas as a summer holiday, as us northerners will always see it in winter no matter where we move and how long we live there.

Muhler 01-09-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe (Post 1503183)
Frederik did not celebrate Christmas in a traditional Danish way as a child? That does seem odd to me. Can you elaborate for us?

Absolutely. :smile:

The DRF Christmas is very different from a typical Danish Christmas.
The menu is different and they don't dance around the Christmas tree.

A typical Danish Christmas, very brief:
The family arrive in the afternoon. Some, but not all attend service in the local church at 16.00 (that's the most common). Dinner is served somewhere between 17.00-19.00.
The menu is soup, roast pork with medister and glaced potatoes, though many prefer duck instead.
Risalmande for dessert, with an almond. Whoeever gets the almond win a prize.
When the table is cleard the Christmas tree is placed in the middle of the floor and people dance, or rather trot, around the tree while singing popular Christmas psalms. Somewhere between five and ten psalms - good for the digestion!
The presents are brought out and the children read out who the presents are for and hand all the presents out. Then you take turn unpacking the presents, usually the youngest first ending with the oldest, so that everyone can see who gets what from whom.
That ends around 21.00 or so. Then coffee with sweets, fruits, nuts and cookies are served and the adults chat and sometimes have a merry time playing with the kid's toys - I mean, help the kids in putting their toys together and test it....
The whole show ends around 23.00-24.00.

In the DRF they also attend Christmas service before returning for dinner, starting with rice porridge. I can't remember the main course, but that is atypical too. The dessert is an English cake. - No almond, no prize.
Then they sit in the living room singing psalms while watching and admiring the decorated tree in the corner, before they unpack their presents.
- To me it seems pretty boring and not at all child friendly.

As Nwinther pointed out a typical Danish Christmas has very little to do with the Christian faith and Jesus but much more to do with the ancient pagan mid-winter celebration.

Then there is a Christmas lunch on either the first or second day of Christmas, sometime both days. Usually with the family. In my family it has for many years been tradition to spend Christmas Eve with Mrs. Muhler's family and the second day of Christmas (the 26th) with my family.

A typical Danish Christmas is basically about gaining five kilos.

GracieGiraffe 01-09-2013 11:49 AM

Thanks for the response!

I think in most modern countries, Christmas is hardly about the birth of Christ anymore, and more about pagan mid-winter solstice fun - at least in our Northern Hemisphere. In Australia it appears akin to what would be a Fourth of July celebration here in the U.S.

FasterB 01-09-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1503200)
The DRF Christmas is very different from a typical Danish Christmas.
The menu is different and they don't dance around the Christmas tree.

We didn´t dance around the Christmas tree either when I was child :smile:

In my childhood this is how Christmas Eve went:
I slept until noon...
My Father held services in his three churches (yes, that included "Et barn er født" three times :eek:).
In between his three services he came home to take of the two ducks in the oven.
My Mother made the dessert, risalamande, and my brother polished the silverware.
Finally I got up around noon, took a bath and off I went to my services (two times of singing "Et barn er født" :eek:) in the church, where I was singer at that time.
To the last service in my Father´s church the rest of the family came along.
After the services we gathered in the præstegård (what´s the english word?). Took a little glass with my sis-in-law´s parents. Then we departed, with my brother and sis-in-law changing between the families every other year.

Then we ate the ducks, the risalamande.

I would lit the christmas tree and when I started playing this tune my parents would open the doors and everyone would walk in and sit on the couch, armchair - well, my little nephew would lie on his tummy on the floor looking at the christmas tree.

After that we would sing a few christmas songs, no psalms (vetoed by my Father and I) and then we would hand out the presents in no particular order, but one at a time.

Around 23:00 all started to go to bed and I would find myself in front of the telly, sometimes together with my Mother, to watch the Midnight Mass from the Vatican :smile:

Then on Christmas Day (the 25th) my Father and I had more services, so no organized family gathering here.
But on the second Christmas Day (the 26th) we had Christmas Lunch, again after my Father and I had had our services...
And then finally we could get a time to relax before New Year - unless there was/is a Sunday between Christmas and New Year :whistling::rofl:

bertie5252003 01-09-2013 12:36 PM

GracieGiraffe am not sure were you get you info about Australian Christmas but I can say that in no way does it even slightly appear as 04/07... it is celebrated in different ways but it is still a traditional Christmas with all the thrills the festive period brings.... trees lights Santa but the 4th July and that hoopla is not the case .... we do go all out on 26/01 however.

Lady Rosie 01-09-2013 04:40 PM

Thank you all for sharing your Christmas traditions.

Well in Australia it doesn't seem to be like 4th July from my experience (in most homes that I have known). Christmas Eve is is usually spent running around doing last minute shopping and preparing food for the 25th.

I can only speak about this from a christian perspective. Christmas Eve there are children's family church services at about 18.00, later midnight masses for adults. Some families I know of Northern European descent will open presents on this night. Carrots for reindeer and beer or milk for Santa left overnight.

Christmas Day is when it all happens. Presents opened early (usually near breakfast time if you have excited youngsters) after Santa has been overnight. Then lunch prepared all morning. Some families attend a church service in the morning.

The craziness is that even if it is a hot day, the roast is still prepared- mainly because of the English/european descent of many. Newer style BBQs have a big space that allows a roast (turkey,chicken etc)to be cooked outside without heating the entire house as an oven does! Salads, roast veges on the side. As is seafood in many homes.

Then desert (pavlova, fruit cake, fruit salad etc), lying on the bed to digest food or a game of cricket outside. The Christmas Message of QE2 is usually played around dinner time.

Leftovers eaten for dinner! Sometimes it is off to the in-laws for another food fest!!

Boxing day (26th) is usually what you make it- nothing at all or visit to an in law not seen the day before.

bertie5252003 01-09-2013 04:47 PM

... Boxing Day has the the test match as the ovgerall pay off and the usual reason I use for not doing anything...

Sun Lion 01-09-2013 07:23 PM

Hi everyone - great reading about the different ways Christmas is celebrated.

Agree with the Aussie posters regarding Christmas here.

Boxing Day is big, with many activities to join in - saw early morning TV coverage this year -people crushing to get into the big Boxing Day sales at the shops, lining up early to get into the cricket and it's also the start of the big yacht race, the "Sydney to Hobart".

All the commercial vessels get booked out as people have meals on board and mill around the racing yachts with the water all choppy and boats going every which way, and then follow them out of the Heads of Sydney Harbour after the gun goes off. Very exciting and lively - did it a few years ago - one of Sydney's grand days. The rest of Australia can watch the action on the telly.

And as Amber mentioned in her article, the other big Boxing Day activity for many years has been the packing and tripping to the annual holiday shack or caravan somewhere near a beach.

Seafood is now big for Christmas, so a crushing visit to the Sydney Fish Market on Christmas Eve is now a regular Christmas tradition for some - and waking up on Bondi Beach if you're a British back-packer.

And always trifle amongst the Christmas desserts, at least in Tasmania - along-side the hot pudding and the pavlova - all in the same bowl.

Interesting re Jul/pagan traditions vs Christian in Denmark - always assumed Northern European traditions to be more religious than here in Oz, where for many it's not even mentioned, though we still use religious cards quite a bit.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Muhler 01-10-2013 04:57 AM

Thanks for telling us about the Australian Christmas. It's always interesting to learn about other cultures and how things are done differently in other countries. :flowers:

GracieGiraffe 01-10-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertie5252003 (Post 1503258)
GracieGiraffe am not sure were you get you info about Australian Christmas but I can say that in no way does it even slightly appear as 04/07... it is celebrated in different ways but it is still a traditional Christmas with all the thrills the festive period brings.... trees lights Santa but the 4th July and that hoopla is not the case .... we do go all out on 26/01 however.

I got my info from Australians, who say they celebrate with beach and bbq. I suppose other Australians celebrate traditionally.

biboquinhas 01-11-2013 05:44 AM

Another new car for Mary....
https://onthesidewalls.co.uk/wp-conte...an-530x397.jpg

very fashion by the way...has it should be of course, Mary doesn't take it for less...
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XxmG0R_3b4.../s1600/Newscom-

FasterB 01-11-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 1503895)
Another new car for Mary....
https://onthesidewalls.co.uk/wp-conte...an-530x397.jpg

very fashion by the way...has it should be of course, Mary doesn't take it for less...
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XxmG0R_3b4.../s1600/Newscom-

Sorry, not a new car :flowers: They had it already before the twins was christened in April 2011 :flowers:

marfre 01-11-2013 06:40 AM

Thanks FasterB
I was just checking an article from 5 July 2011 that shows Mary & Frederik shopping for a carpert for the palace in the very same car.

Sometimes facts are not checked before posting.

PrincessofEurope 01-12-2013 09:49 PM

I wonder do the couple have any plans to go to Australia this year - a private visit most likely as they did an official visit last year

Frelinghighness 01-12-2013 10:55 PM

How interesting to read about the Danish Christmas. I love that they dance around the Christmas tree. Here in America it really depends on your ancestors. It is all a blend of your traditions. We had German grandparents so we opened gifts with them on Christmas Eve. Since they've passed on, we now just go to church on christmas eve, and open gifts on Christmas with a feast afterwards.

GracieGiraffe 01-12-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frelinghighness (Post 1504641)
How interesting to read about the Danish Christmas. I love that they dance around the Christmas tree. Here in America it really depends on your ancestors. It is all a blend of your traditions. We had German grandparents so we opened gifts with them on Christmas Eve. Since they've passed on, we now just go to church on christmas eve, and open gifts on Christmas with a feast afterwards.

Yes, here in America is REALLY does depend on where your family was from. In our family, we always gravitated between years of Irish Christmas fruitcake and years of Italian treats (this year was strictly Italian). Some people descended from the U.K or Ireland still make the fruitcakes, and Thanksgiving weekend was always the time traditionally set aside for making them for Christmas.

The plum pudding was always very nice too. I'll never forget my shock the day my mother sent me to the butcher for the main ingredient! :eek: As Mary is of Scottish descent, her Australian Christmas could very well have been laced with Scottish traditions.

gerry 01-13-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1503076)
Hi windsorgirl - thanks for your help. :star:

gerry - layout is different to printed newspaper - should also be able to be sourced at Amber Petty | in time to come - top story is still last week's column at the moment, by the look of it.

Cheers All, Sun Lion. :crown3::sun:

Thanks so much to you and Windsor Girl. The papers here in wintry Canada are full of reports of the heat and fires you are suffering 'down under'. Hope you are well and keeping cool.:flowers:

Sun Lion 01-13-2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 1504662)
Thanks so much to you and Windsor Girl. The papers here in wintry Canada are full of reports of the heat and fires you are suffering 'down under'. Hope you are well and keeping cool.:flowers:

Hey gerry - yes, I think the worse of the heatwave and fires are now behind us for this summer.

South Australia, where I am for the holiday, is officially a Mediterranean climate - hence the big wine and olive production here - hottest day in Adelaide was 44 degrees.

Husband and I are heading off back to Sydney early tomorrow, (Monday), morning - taking the long way around the coastal highways. Will be Friday before we reach home, after six to eight hours drive per day.

(We'll have to keep an eye on the fire reports to be sure the roads aren't closed in places again, but I think we will be alright.)

Hope you're ok with Canada's winter Christmas experience - haven't had a white Christmas myself.

Can imagine CP Mary missing the Oz summer though - today was overcast, and we're all missing the blue sky and bright light after just one day! - the extreme heat of earlier weeks is already just a memory.

Cheers, Sun Lion. :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

marfre 01-13-2013 08:11 AM

Royal support from Mary

An article in one of the local papers advises that Mary has sent a message of support and encouragement to Tasmania's bushfire victims.

Part of the article.
Over the past week Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has grown increasingly concerned about the welfare of people in affected areas.
Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby make contact yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments.
"The Crown Princess has been closely following the development of the bushfires around Tasmania and has been in regular contact with family and friends," Ms Balleby said. "Her thoughts and concerns go out to everyone affected by these devastating fires."

Muhler 01-18-2013 07:01 AM

:previous:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #03, 2013.
Mary dybt bekymret - Mary deeply worried.
Written by Marianne Singer.

The severe drought and fires in Tasmania in particular has also hit the Danish news.
The paper The Mercury has apparantly called the court and Lene Balleby said: "The Crown Princess has followed the forest fires on Tasmania with keen interest and (she) has been regular contact with family and friends. Her thoughts and concerns go to all who are affected by these devastating fires".

- This is of course an unofficial statement. The only one who issues official statements of sympathy in the DRF is the Monarch. (Alternatively in the name of the Monarch). Such a statement of sympathy is forwarded directly to the Australian head of state, i.e. QEII or the Govenor General.
Mary has previously been critizised in Australia for not issuing a statement of sympathy, when something dreadful has taken place there. But that is unfair. According to the protocol it's only the Monarch who issues such statements and that is on behalf of the entire DRF. - The Crown Princess does not issue official statements of sympathy on her own or on behalf of the Monarch, that would be inappropriate.

marfre 01-18-2013 07:17 AM

Thanks for the translation Muhler.

The Tasmanian newspaper actually says that Lene Balleby contacted them.
This is part of the article.

"Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby contacted the Sunday Tasmanian early yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments."

Not saying this is correct.

Muhler 01-18-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1506447)
Thanks for the translation Muhler.

The Tasmanian newspaper actually says that Lene Balleby contacted them.
This is part of the article.

"Danish Royal Court spokeswoman Lene Balleby contacted the Sunday Tasmanian early yesterday to pass on the royal family's sentiments."

Not saying this is correct.

The BB article only says that Lene Balleby and the Mercury has been in contact.
I doubt however that Lene Balleby would call just one Australian newsaper. It seems more likely that the Mercury left a message for Lene Balleby about the fires and that she called back or replied.

marfre 01-18-2013 07:32 AM

This is also different to the contact that was made during the floods of January 2011, this was of course around the time that the twins were born.

"The Crown Princess reportedly wrote a letter from her hospital bed in Copenhagen to Prime Minister Julia Gillard, expressing the sadness of the Danish royal couple over the natural disaster."

Muhler 01-18-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1506452)
This is also different to the contact that was made during the floods of January 2011, this was of course around the time that the twins were born.

"The Crown Princess reportedly wrote a letter from her hospital bed in Copenhagen to Prime Minister Julia Gillard, expressing the sadness of the Danish royal couple over the natural disaster."

Thanks for this interesting piece of info, Marfre. :flowers:

That means QMII must expressed her sympathy first.
Because normally it's the Danish PM, who express the official sympathy on behalf of DK and the Danish government to the Australian PM, - if we are to follow the protocol.
One thing is certain however, Mary would not have written this letter, without a clear OK from QMII - and the Foreign Ministry.

Roskilde 01-24-2013 06:59 AM

Frederik will in next week participate in a 'charity run' (or what do you say in english?) in connection with Denmark's annual collection for Africa :flowers:

From Kongehuset.dk: H.K.H. Kronprinsen løber til fordel for Danmarks Indsamling - Kongehuset

Article: https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/samfu...cle1905253.ece

Muhler 01-24-2013 07:15 AM

:previous: Yes, Roskilde.

That has now hit the news: Kronprinsens puls stiger i Aarhus

The event is called Give Your Legs to Africa and as Roskilde has already mentioned it's a charity run, organised by two sporting organisations.
The route is five kilometres long, which is hardly a challenge for Frederik.

He will also be running on his hometurf so to speak. A part of the run will take place in Marselisborg Park, which is open to the public, when the DRF isn't in residence. The route will also go through the Remembrance Park, located between Marselisborg and the beach, before the big finish along a road through Marselsborg Forest.
The route will be lined with torches and it will take place at dusk, i.e. at 16.30. Frederik is scheduled to arrive five minuttes before the start.

I should be extremely surprised if this wll not be well covered on the local news.

GracieGiraffe 01-26-2013 12:55 AM

"Give your legs to Africa?"

Oh, my! I read that literally and was much relieved to read the rest of the post. Phew!

Roskilde 02-03-2013 03:23 PM

I have a little innocent "insider information" :cool:

One of my Facebook-friends writes that he and his wife was at the theater last night. And there he spotted Frederik and Mary having a romantic evening without the children.

It was in The Royal Danish Theatre in Copenhagen and they watched the theatre play "Headless Summer" written by Erling Jepsen :flowers:

You can read about the theatre play here: Hovedløs sommer | Turné | Det Kongelige Teater

polyesco 02-04-2013 02:44 PM

thanks for sharing. :flowers:
maybe a pre-birthday date night?

AnnaNotherThing 02-06-2013 08:11 PM

Found out about this exhibition/event happening during London Fashion Week:

London Fashion Week - Line-up

Do you think Mary is one of the private invitees?

polyesco 02-07-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1514225)

Maybe, but Mary has an event on the 18th in Copenhagen at. 18.50. "HRH The Crown Princess is present at the welcome reception for the international conference on global inequality."

Although,.. Frederik will be regent from the 15th to 20th so maybe the Queen will go :biggrin:

TRCRoyal 02-14-2013 02:45 PM

Did you notice that Princess mary is Aquarius? Princess Marie is too along with some other royals!

HERE

grevinnan 02-14-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1514225)

Doesn't Britain have their own royals that can attend? Or has Mary now become the super-royal and get first choice at foreign engagements?

American Dane 02-15-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 1517241)
Doesn't Britain have their own royals that can attend? Or has Mary now become the super-royal and get first choice at foreign engagements?

Are any of the British royals officially patrons of the British fashion industry? Mary is patron of the Danish fashion industry and this event celebrates Scandinavian design, in particular Danish, so I don't find Anna Nother Thing's question to be so unbelievable. However it is unlikely that she will attend given that, as mentioned above, Mary already has an event that day in Copenhagen.

Nordic 02-15-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by American Dane (Post 1517252)
Are any of the British royals officially patrons of the British fashion industry? Mary is patron of the Danish fashion industry and this event celebrates Scandinavian design, in particular Danish, so I don't find Anna Nother Thing's question to be so unbelievable.

I didn't know Mary was patron for the Danish fashion industry in general?
I thought she was patron only for two yearly events within the industry, CIFF&Designers Nest?

American Dane 02-15-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic (Post 1517269)
I thought she was patron only for two yearly events within the industry, CIFF&Designers Nest?

I apologise, I wasn't clear in my post. As patron of two of the biggest fashion events in Denmark and concerning Danish fashion (even if they are only annual events, CIFF is twice a year) Mary has, in an official capacity, represented the Danish fashion industry abroad and has helped the industry benefit financially. From the Designer's Nest website (translated to English): "Designers Nest has thus intends to expose the coming Danish and Scandinavian designers as a way to help maintain and expand Denmark's position as a fashion and design nation."

There was an article on this board a few years ago that gave a specific figure but I don't have the time to search for that right now. She was patron as well of Copenhagen Fashion Summit 2012 in which she gave an interview to CNN on Danish sustainable fashion.

Hope that explains my post a little better. :flowers:

ricarda 02-15-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Nordic
Of course Mary is not patron of the Danish fashion industry. She is patron of Copenhagen International Fashion Fair (which is only one of several trade fairs during Copenhagen Fashion Week) and of Designers Nest Award & Show for design students in Denmark and the North (which is an integral part of CPH Vision, another trade fair during Copenhagen Fashion Week).

However, I agree with American Dane. The idea that the Danish Crown Princess could attend an event which focuses on Scandinavian Design is not as unreasonable as grevinnan's post suggests. IIRC Mette-Marit once attended an event during London Fashion Week (or was it New York?) which focused on Norwegian design.

nwinther 02-15-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricarda (Post 1517289)
Of course Mary is not patron of the Danish fashion industry.

Well, technically speaking she is protector of the fair. However, a "patron of the arts" isn't a patron of ALL arts. I think the Danish fashion industry in general enjoys the attention Mary helps create. Her mere interest in fashion makes her - strictly speaking - a patron of Danish fashion.

ricarda 02-15-2013 02:41 PM

No, technically AND strictly speaking, and based on the Danish royal court's definition of a patronage, she is not a patron of Danish fashion. Nor is she a patron of Copenhagen, International Fashion, Fairs&Tourism in general. She is the patron of Copenhagen International Fashion Fair and Designers Nest. And both, fair and award, are international. :flowers:

But as a stylish Crown Princess who often wears Danish designers she certainly helps to promote Danish fashion. And her patronages and visits helped to create more attention for Copenhagen Fashion Week. I am sure the Danish Fashion Industry as well as the fair organizers enjoy that.

Marie is patron of Copenhagen International Jewellery Fair but that doesn't make her automatically the patron of Danish jewellers, goldsmithers etc either.
Nor is she the patron of the University of Southern Denmark although she is constantly named as such on this board. The royal website states it's a cooperation in order to promote the university.

The Danish court obviously has a strict definition of what a patronage is and what it is not. And so do I. :flowers:

Nordic 02-20-2013 04:16 AM

This month, CP Frederik is regent
15-17th February, 19-20th and 24th-1 March.

As regent, he today holds State Council at Christiansborg.

NGalitzine 02-20-2013 04:06 PM

If Frederik is acting as Regent where is QMII?

ricarda 02-20-2013 04:34 PM

She usually takes her winter holidays in Norway.
But since she has pains in the back I don't know if she does this year.

ricarda 02-25-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricarda (Post 1519364)
She usually takes her winter holidays in Norway.

Prins Henrik om svækket Margrethe: Hun slapper af uden sin mand - Royale | www.bt.dk
According to this BT article Queen Margrethe is indeed holidaying in Norway, in Gausdal (without her husband). From 15-17 Feb she was in Nice/Eze in the South of France, visiting friends (together with her husband).

https://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-64975118:tv-christian-og-isabella-med-far-i-byen.html
On Sunday Frederik and Christian and Isabella attended a Cirque du Soleil performance ("Alegria") in Copenhagen.

polyesco 02-25-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricarda (Post 1521105)

https://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-64975118:tv-christian-og-isabella-med-far-i-byen.html
On Sunday Frederik and Christian and Isabella attended a Cirque du Soleil performance ("Alegria") in Copenhagen.

thanks Ricarda.:flowers:

Cirque du Soleil shows are the best.
Mary Im assuming stayed with the twins;)

polyesco 02-28-2013 02:52 PM

another link to the same video of them exciting the car, but with 3 small pics
Kronprinsen med sine børn i Forum

iceflower 02-28-2013 04:57 PM

:previous:

Thanks for sharing your finding, polyesco! The pics actually aren't as small as mentioned - when you click on them you'll get a much larger version. :flowers:

Flowerbed 03-02-2013 03:50 PM

A random, little story:

A crew from TV2 Sporten were out interviewing a lawyer for a segment about matchfixing today. While they were setting up, Frederik and Mary came walking by in front of the camera. It appears they were out for a walk, without any of their normal bodyguards or PET officers with them.

TV2 has a small clip: TV 2 GO' | Fornøjelse - Frederik og Mary gik pludselig ind foran kameraet

It seems the cameraman didn't realise anything. At the end of the clip you can hear the journalist asking him "Did you see them? Did you get them on camera?", to which he confusedly says "What?" and the journalist excitedly tells him it was the crown prince and crown princess.

Spheno 03-02-2013 04:30 PM

nice story :smile:

dazzling 03-02-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowerbed (Post 1522434)
A random, little story:

A crew from TV2 Sporten were out interviewing a lawyer for a segment about matchfixing today. While they were setting up, Frederik and Mary came walking by in front of the camera. It appears they were out for a walk, without any of their normal bodyguards or PET officers with them.

TV2 has a small clip: TV 2 GO' | Fornøjelse - Frederik og Mary gik pludselig ind foran kameraet

It seems the cameraman didn't realise anything. At the end of the clip you can hear the journalist asking him "Did you see them? Did you get them on camera?", to which he confusedly says "What?" and the journalist excitedly tells him it was the crown prince and crown princess.

Thats quite a funny story actually but sweet.
I doubt that the couple are out without any protection/PET officers. I would assume that they went round the camera men or watch from a distance that they aren't noticeable. Thank you for the clip.

NGalitzine 03-02-2013 06:41 PM

Are you sure it was today? I believe Mary is in The Netherlands for the "Crown Princes Club" party hosted by WA & Maxima today.

anele14 03-02-2013 07:08 PM

Mary is in the Netherlands ... Sure that this interview was done before

Archduchess Zelia 03-02-2013 08:34 PM

It was probably taped some days ago.

I love it. I've casually bumped into them myself before, and I think it's so nice to see them out and be able to walk about without having to be followed closely by PET agents constantly, the times I've "met" them (except for once), the PET agents have been following from a distance though (they try to conceal themselves, yet they're very noticeable).

Roskilde 03-03-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowerbed (Post 1522434)
A random, little story:

Love it! It's really funny and a quite sweet episode (the article has also been TV2's 'most read article' in over 15 hours now) It could have been any couple who came walking by in front of the camera, but then it was none other than Mary and Frederik out for a walk :rofl:

I've said it before, but I love that Frederik and Mary is so much round and about in Copenhagen. I think they do a lot to live as normally as possible. And it's great to see that their bodyguards remain at a safe distance, so even the journalists don't recognize them. At least, not at first sight ;)

Roskilde 03-05-2013 05:57 PM

I can here tonight read on my Facebook wall that a friend of mine was visited by Mary, Josephine and Vincent at her office today. Little Vincent and Josephine should have renewed their passports :flowers:

Archduchess Zelia 03-05-2013 06:10 PM

Perhaps they're going to Chile with Mary and Frederik?

cepe 03-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roskilde (Post 1523711)
I can here tonight read on my Facebook wall that a friend of mine was visited by Mary, Josephine and Vincent at her office today. Little Vincent and Josephine should have renewed their passports :flowers:

so no client confidentiality then?

Lumutqueen 03-05-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1523721)
so no client confidentiality then?

Apparently not. Quite shocked actually.:whistling:

Archduchess Zelia 03-05-2013 06:26 PM

If they were going to a public place (however, I very much doubt this) to get the passports renewed, I don't think there's much confidentiality really. In Denmark (or, I can only speak for Copenhagen), we go to either the city hall or "borgerservice" (rough translation: "citizen's service") to get new passports or to have old passport renewed, and I wouldn't say there's much privacy over that. But again, they probably didn't go to where us "regular" people go to.

polyesco 03-05-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

thanks for the little story :flowers:
in the U.S. to renew a passport for children, i believe both parents have to go to the office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1523718)

Chile is this Sunday already, would they be able to renew their passports so quickly

Archduchess Zelia 03-05-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1523744)
Chile is this Sunday already, would they be able to renew their passports so quickly

They're royals, I don't see why not, I guess they have special privileges. I took me a week to get my new passport last summer, I bet they'd be able to speed things up for Mary and Frederik.

cepe 03-05-2013 06:54 PM

City Hall employees - if that is the case - should definitely not be talking about what citizens of their town/country are doing.

polyesco 03-05-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1523758)
They're royals, I don't see why not, I guess they have special privileges. I took me a week to get my new passport last summer, I bet they'd be able to speed things up for Mary and Frederik.

only a week, wow thats quick for a new passport:flowers:

Maybe they will take Vincent and Josephine, since its a week long visit, but then again they didnt for Brazil...
have they taken Christian and Isabella before on official visits?

crm2317 03-05-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1523776)

Maybe they will take Vincent and Josephine, since its a week long visit, but then again they didnt for Brazil...

Isabella went to New York as a baby as Mary was still breast feeding.

Archduchess Zelia 03-05-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1523767)
City Hall employees - if that is the case - should definitely not be talking about what citizens of their town/country are doing.

Agreed, but I know that should Mary walk through either the local borgerservice or the City Hall in my part of Copenhagen, it would come out anyway. However, I do agree that the employees in such places shouldn't share private information about anyone outside either places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1523776)

Yeah it's pretty fast. The maximum length is fourteen days, but I guess they weren't too busy when I had mine renewed.

Only when they were little and Mary still was nursing them, I believe. So I guess they're just in good time for the summer holidays (you do not wanna renew your passport from June-August, it'll take you forever to just get a spot in the line to get it renewed).

kathia_sophia 03-05-2013 07:50 PM

I believe in my country, asking for a urgent passport will take 5 days max. but you will pay double!

suztav 03-05-2013 08:21 PM

I have a feeling that Mary has an "in" with the powers that be! :)

Roskilde 03-06-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1523718)

My thought too. But on the other hand, it is a very long flight for such two small sizes and Mary and Frederik will guaranteed be busy with duties from morning to evening every day. But who knows, I guess we have to wait and see in about 4 days :smile:

dazzling 03-06-2013 05:04 PM

Could it be they are getting their passports? Some kids stay on their mothers passports for a year or two but not sure if this method still exists. Even if they are there to get or renew their passports, doesn't mean they will accompany their parents. The couple went to Brazil and didn't take their kids.

ashelen 03-06-2013 05:30 PM

may be they need the passports for Australia to go some time in the year? whenthey are comming back from Chile?

Roskilde 03-07-2013 07:16 AM

I normally never read the Danish magazine SeogHør. But in my winter vacation, I read the week's magazine, when my mother in law often read it.
I came across the magazine's annual big vote. It is a vote in which the magazine's readers voted on this Danish woman who they think is the most lovely/the most beautiful woman in Denmark. Yes, our Mary is very popular and she is always at the top of our polls, so nothing shocking there. But I had actually not expected that the readers of SeogHør would vote Mary so high on their list. Seoghør is always very critical of the royals and uses every opportunity to criticize them all they can. But apparently, the readers of SeogHør loves Mary anyway and it gives me a little smile on my lips as I think the magazine's criticism of the royal family are often a bit out of proportion :cool:

https://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...55334833_n.jpg

nwinther 03-07-2013 07:42 AM

They didn't go to the Municipal "borgerservice".

The Royal Family carries diplomatic passports and these are issued solely by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I'm still suspicious about your friend's lack of confidentiality. Even if the royal family is "public domain" so to speak, I would expect it of a ministerial civil servant to practice the utmost discretion. Passports are, after all, a personal matter, not to mention the whereabouts of individials.

grevinnan 03-08-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Very disturbing if this is true. Hopefully someone will forward her/his facebook page to her boss.

HRHHermione 03-08-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 1524708)
Very disturbing if this is true. Hopefully someone will forward her/his facebook page to her boss.

Why? I don't think there's anything particularly intrusive about noting that members of the royal family paid a visit to a government office and someone being excited to see them.

tundra 03-08-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1524711)
Why? I don't think there's anything particularly intrusive about noting that members of the royal family paid a visit to a government office and someone being excited to see them.

As a government employee, I would be fired for breaching someone's privacy if I posted/talked something like that anywhere. I believe that is what may have been meant.

HRHHermione 03-08-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundra (Post 1524726)
As a government employee, I would be fired for breaching someone's privacy if I posted/talked something like that anywhere. I believe that is what may have been meant.

I understand that when it comes to sharing confidential information, but as far as I know, it's not considered confidential that someone came into a passport office. Sharing information from the application would be totally different.

tundra 03-08-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1524729)
I understand that when it comes to sharing confidential information, but as far as I know, it's not considered confidential that someone came into a passport office. Sharing information from the application would be totally different.

If someone standing in the line up had shared the information its not a privacy breach. Being the employee who was communication with or a co-worker observing the communication with that person and sharing it is a privacy breach. I personally have signed a confidentially agreement as do the majority of government workers.

Duchess of Durham 03-08-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundra (Post 1524791)
If someone standing in the line up had shared the information its not a privacy breach. Being the employee who was communication with or a co-worker observing the communication with that person and sharing it is a privacy breach. I personally have signed a confidentially agreement as do the majority of government workers.

But if the meeting took place in full public view - we don't know that it did and we don't know that it didn't - wouldn't a goverment employee be able to acknowledge they saw someone famous. I'm sure the cannot share any personal info, which I suspect is what you agreed to when you signed the confidentiality statement. But if someone is in public, that isn't confidential.

Roskilde 03-08-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1524505)
Apparently a new film about the crown prince, which covers the years from the early 90s to early 00s, will be filmed.

Director Christian Tafdrup, who is currently working to finalize the script, told Politiken that the film will focus on the key events and key people in the crown prince's life.
"It is well known that he would be king, and that the population initially did not consider him as particularly suitable for it. So of course the film is about a successor to assume its task. But it is also a universal story about a young man who becomes an adult. For me it about a young man in their 20s who are struggling with it, often struggling with in his 20s: his identity and recognition from family and the outside world, says Christian Tafdrup to Politiken."

Kronprins Frederiks unge år bliver til film | Kultur | DR

interesting

another article
b.dk

Another article about the film from bt.dk (it gives some examples of Danish actors who could be able to play Frederik, Mary, Margrethe and Henrik)
Ny film på vej: Hvem skal spille Kronprins Frederik? - Royale | www.bt.dk

The new Billed Bladet tells us that Frederik and Mary last Thursday walked from Amalienborg Palace to a private reception in central Copenhagen.

Here is a sweet picture of Frederik and Mary, arm in arm, as they leave the reception and stroll home to Amalienborg
https://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...53167052_n.jpg

ADDED:
By looking at their clothes, it seems like this picture was taken the same day they were seen walking by in front of TV2's camera, doesn't it? ;)

polyesco 03-09-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roskilde (Post 1525030)
The new Billed Bladet tells us that Frederik and Mary last Thursday walked from Amalienborg Palace to a private reception in central Copenhagen.

Here is a sweet picture of Frederik and Mary, arm in arm, as they leave the reception and stroll home to Amalienborg
https://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...53167052_n.jpg

ADDED:
By looking at their clothes, it seems like this picture was taken the same day they were seen walking by in front of TV2's camera, doesn't it? ;)

Good catch. It does look like its the same day as the video. Its nice to see the cp couple in Denmark walk about without much fuzz. Like any couple.
Mary seems to be wearing a short skirt and freezing her knees. Frederik looks good

ashelen 03-09-2013 11:04 AM

by the photo it looks really cold their in denmark!!!! wow i will be in a week their, i guess i will have to take a lot of warm clothes!!!!! Mary looks cute, short skirt but she has stocking and warmlong socks underneath the boots!!! really cold!!!!