The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Princely Family of Monaco (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   General Questions about the Princely Family of Monaco Part 1 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/general-questions-about-the-princely-family-of-monaco-part-1-a-340.html)

Benn 05-13-2003 02:02 PM

General Questions about the Princely Family of Monaco Part 1

How tall are the Grimaldi :question: :unsure:
They seem kind of short, specially the men.

michelle 06-07-2003 02:36 PM

What happend to that " Stephanie's sunshines" - topic?

Michelle

michelle 06-07-2003 05:32 PM

Okay.... ;)

Josefine 10-16-2003 03:52 PM

Are there any movies about Grace Kelly later Princess Grace
I have never heard about any being made

Gabriella 10-16-2003 09:18 PM

There is one that I've seen on Lifetime a few times. Shelly Long from Cheers plays Grace. I can't remember the name of it though. It has pretty poor picture quality, so it must of been made in the 80s

up, sorry I was wrong, it was Cheryl Ladd, not Shelley Long who played Grace. The movie was called just Grace Kelly and was made in 1983. The tv channel Lifetime has shown the movie a few times.

Quote:

The movie was called just Grace Kelly
I guess I should probably clarify that. I really meant to say the movie was just called "Grace Kelly". When I reread that, it sounded to me as if it read the movie was called "Just Grace Kelly" sorry.

Gabriella 10-16-2003 11:15 PM

Here is a synopsis of the film that I found on blockbuster.com

Grace Kelly, the high-society beauty who became an Oscar-winning actress and then a European princess, is the subject of this TV biopic. Cheryl Ladd has the looks and poise of the original Grace, though she isn't quite as charismatic. The early portion of the film retraces the stormy relationship between Grace and her gruff Philadelphia millionaire dad, Jack Kelly. The script suggests that Grace went through life looking for a strong father figure, finally finding one in Prince Rainier of Monaco (Ian McShane), whom she weds. Several "celebrity look-alikes" parade through the film, pretending to be the film personalities with whom Ms. Kelly worked during her brief Hollywood career. Grace Kelly tones down the darker aspects of its subject, and the film is infinitely more tasteful than most other TV biographies of the same period, even when dealing with Princess Grace's untimely death. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Here is a photo of Cheryl Ladd playing Grace Kelly

https://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/gracekelly.jpg

corabella 11-27-2003 07:55 PM

Out of pure curiosity and a love of names, could I please ask someone to tell me the full names of Princesses Caroline and Stephanie as well as Prince Albert? I would also like to know the full names and ages of Caroline and Stephanie's children, including Caroline's youngest, Princess Alexandra. I know the names they are called, but I want to know the full names given them at birth.

Also, is Princess Stephanie pregnant?

Thank you! :rolleyes:
Corabella

rarotonga 11-27-2003 09:02 PM

Corabella~

Here are the full names of Princesses Caroline and Stephanie and Prince Albert:

Caroline Louise Marguerite Grimaldi
Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre Grimaldi
Stephanie Marie Elisabeth Grimaldi

As for the children of the princesses, they can be found on this site.

moby 11-28-2003 01:44 AM

As for Caroline's and Stefano's kids:

Andrea Alberto Pierre Casiraghi, 19
Charlotte Marie Pomeline Casiraghi, 16
Pierre Rainier Stefano Casiraghi, 15(?)

ilie85 11-28-2003 11:09 AM

actually charlotte is 17 and pierre 16.

moby 11-29-2003 12:58 AM

right. i forgot. :)

kittencrews 11-29-2003 05:57 PM

and we can't forget Caroline and Ernst's baby... Alexandra Charlotte Ulrike Maryam Virginia Princess of Hannover, Great Britain and Ireland, Duchess of Braunschweig and Lueneburg

Sassy285 11-29-2003 09:29 PM

wow, what a name and all those titles.....how does one actually become a duchess?? I'm really not familiar with titles etc...

kittencrews 11-29-2003 10:21 PM

well because her father is Ernst August Albert Paul Otto Rupprecht Oskar Berthold Friedrich-Ferdinand Christian-Ludwig Prince of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg, Prince of Great Britain and Ireland, Alexandra was born with ascribed titles... her brothers Prince Ernst August Andreas Philipp Konstantin Maximilian Rolf Stephan Ludwig-Rudolph of Hanover and Prince Christian Heinrich Clemens Paul Frank Peter Welf Wilhelm-Ernst Friedrich Franz of Hanover are both Dukes of Brunswick and Lüneburg (sometimes known as Brunswick-Lüneburg) as well as Alex and bros all having the HRH prefix infront of their names...

I was just reading another website and they called Alexandra "Princess Alexandra Sophia" but I don't think she has the name Sophia, I could easily be wrong because these crazy royal have soooo many names!!!

moosey60 11-30-2003 12:05 AM

Stephanie's kids:

Louis Robert Paul Ducruet b. 1992
Pauline Grace Maguy Ducruet b. 1994
Camille Marie Kelly Gottlieb-Grimaldi b. 1998

kittencrews 11-30-2003 12:27 AM

ah, forgot... alexandra... july 20, 1999

moby 11-30-2003 10:53 AM

if you think about it...
Caroline's children are named almost the same..
Pierre is Pierre,
Andrea is Pierre.
Charlotte is Charlotte,
Alexandra is Charlotte. :)

kittencrews 11-30-2003 01:22 PM

Yeah... they are.... you have to think of it as family names too... :P Ernst's two sons both have Ernst in their names...

Sassy285 11-30-2003 04:31 PM

hey thanks Kittencrews, for answering that.
Imagine being a little royal trying to learn to write out your full name!!!

moosey60 11-30-2003 04:56 PM

haha, I'd make it up

"I'm Princess Alexandra Charlotte Caroline Margaret Elizabeth...Chadwick...of Number 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney, Australia...Princess of My Back Yard, and all of my Front Garden, and of all the lands of my Bathroom."

kittencrews 11-30-2003 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moosey60@Nov 30th, 2003 - 4:56 pm
haha, I'd make it up

"I'm Princess Alexandra Charlotte Caroline Margaret Elizabeth...Chadwick...of Number 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney, Australia...Princess of My Back Yard, and all of my Front Garden, and of all the lands of my Bathroom."

42 Wallaby Way... ha ha i LOVE Finding Nemo... great movie... I'd get confused too... Imagine being their mother and having to yell at them... you'd start making up names all the time

baezid 12-30-2003 02:59 PM

hi i have a very important ??? whem hrh prince albert take the trown will he become a king or will he be just a prince like his dad ?????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

meganjoston 12-30-2003 03:16 PM

Honoré II of Monaco changed the status of Monaco from a Lordship (Seigneurie) to a Principality (Principauté) in 1612. As a Principality it is always ruled by a Prince. Rainier III is the Reigning Prince (Prince régnant ) whereas Albert is the Hereditary Prince (Prince héréditaire). When Albert succeeds his father, he will be the Reigning Prince of Monaco.

baezid 12-30-2003 08:48 PM

thanks much!!!! question is french the 1rst. leguage of monaco????? sorry if my questiopns sound stupid but i don't know much about royals....

meganjoston 12-30-2003 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by baezid@Dec 30th, 2003 - 8:48 pm
thanks much!!!! question is french the 1rst. leguage of monaco????? sorry if my questiopns sound stupid but i don't know much about royals....
French is the official language of Monaco. The two main languages there besides French are Italian and English (spoken by foreigners). Monaco also has its own traditional dialect which is a blend between Italian and French and is very similar to Provençal.

vanyste 01-11-2004 08:42 PM

It IS KNOWN THAT AMONG STEFANO CASIRAGHI AND STEPHANIE :heart: ALWAYS EXISTIO A GREAT FRIENDSHIP. SINCE ITSELF KNEW WENT VERY NEARBY, VERY FRIENDS. THEY THEMSELVES QUERIAN A GREAT DEAL AND IS BECAUSE OF IT THAT THE CHILDREN OF STEFANO WORSHIP TO ITS TIA, BECAUSE KNOW ABOUT THE GREAT AFFECTION THAT ITS FATHER SENTIO BY HER. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flower: :heart: :heart: :heart:

FRIENDS FOREVER

vanyste 01-27-2004 09:28 PM

:flower: S&S

renats 03-30-2004 12:44 AM

I read many times that the Casiraghis don't have tittles or prince/princess in front of their names because Caroline decided so. Stephanie's kids don't have tittles or prince/princess in front of their names either. But I never read anything about the reason. So, here's my question(s): Was that a choice too? Does she have that right being the last born girl?

Jacqueline 03-30-2004 03:40 AM

Actually, I have always believed that the children weren't titled because their fathers were commoners who are not royal nor titled members of aristocracy. It isn't my knowledge that children born to Princesses of Monaco can inherit titles of any kind if their father is a commoner.

anne1 03-30-2004 06:06 AM

Also no royal titles were bestowed on them in the hope that they would be able to lead a normal life, far from the turmoil which seems part and parcel of modern monarchy.

rarotonga 04-01-2004 02:26 AM

A similar discussion was brought up and it was said that the reason that Caroline's and Stephanie's children do not have titles is because the title is passed down only through the male line. That was changed with the 2002 constitutional amendment allowing one of Albert's sisters to inherit should he remain childless.

renats 04-01-2004 01:35 PM

That's a topic I'm curious for a long time. I always read in this board that Camille is considered a classic beauty here. But I always thought that all of Stephanie's side of the family(Steph, Louis, Pauline and Camille) are a mixture of classic and exotic beauties. In my opinion, the only 100% classic beauty in the family is Grace. Also I think that 100% exotic beauty is the kind of beauty that Charlotte and Alexandra have. Based on that, I get to an obvious conclusion: we all have different patterns to define a classic or exotic beauty. Camille is blond, milk skinned and blue eyed, what is certainly a sine of classic beauty. But I think she has other stuff that are not classic. For example her lips. Her mouth is a lot bigger than the mouth of a classic beauty. She has an exotic mouth. Her nose is not classic either, and it goes on with some features being and others not being classic. So, here's my question: What's your definition of a classic/exotic beauty? Do you personally only define by the colors? If not, which kind of features do you consider classic or exotic? If you have trouble in explaining the theory, you can explain using examples.

p.s.:I'm not talking about any kind of beauty as being good or bad. Just as being different, and each person has it's favorite one.

Monalisa 04-01-2004 05:55 PM

I agree,Caroline and Charlotte of monaco have this undefinable beauty which is surrounded by a timless aura and charisma,womaen like Catherine zeta-jones and monica bellucci have too this type of beauty :heart:

hrhcp 04-12-2004 01:38 AM

How come he's not married yet?

sky 04-12-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by meganjoston+Dec 30th, 2003 - 10:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (meganjoston @ Dec 30th, 2003 - 10:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-baezid@Dec 30th, 2003 - 8:48 pm
thanks much&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; question is french the 1rst. leguage of monaco????? sorry if my questiopns sound stupid but i don&#39;t know much about royals....
French is the official language of Monaco. The two main languages there besides French are Italian and English (spoken by foreigners). Monaco also has its own traditional dialect which is a blend between Italian and French and is very similar to Provençal. [/b][/quote]
Was is the dialect called and albert is an HSH not an HRH.

Grace 04-12-2004 12:46 PM

I&#39;ve got two questions, closely related: do you know the names of the Grimaldi-Casiraghi dogs? I know some of them but would like to know more...
Secondly, do you have suggestions about a name for a female dog? I found a puppy yesterday and can&#39;t think of a nice name...any idea is more than welcome; thanks in advance.

Alexandria 04-12-2004 01:33 PM

We have a thread on royals with their pets in the Royal Chit Chat forum. Have a look there for more ideas.

Grace 04-12-2004 05:45 PM

Thank you very much, I didn&#39;t know that...gonna check there.

angel 04-12-2004 07:04 PM

Does anyone think that Albert will marry someday?

rarotonga 04-12-2004 08:26 PM

I think there was a poll running a few months ago on this board. The majority of replies didn&#39;t think he will ever marry. Royal watchers don&#39;t think he will marry either. I believe Leyla, a poster on this board, has also said the same thing. Prince Albert, however, in an interview last year on Hello magazine said that would like to have a family someday. Time will tell, I guess;

Jacqueline 04-12-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rarotonga@Apr 13th, 2004 - 12:26 am
Prince Albert, however, in an interview last year on Hello magazine said that would like to have a family someday. Time will tell, I guess;
He did say that. However, he is often asked questions about marriage and family in interviews because he as viewed as "The Great Bachelor Prince." It is normal for him to be asked these questions. For years now Albert has been replying using the same answer. He always says that he wants a family and marriage very much, but so far no marriage.

Lalla Meriem 04-13-2004 02:09 AM

I think Rainier has refused all the ladies Albert has been serious with. IMHO, this will be the year Albert becomes The Prince of Monaco. Rainier&#39;s health is steadily failing - which is sad.

I think Albert is no fool. I think he will marry quite soon after he becomes The Prince if for nothing else than dynastic reasons.

rarotonga 04-13-2004 04:38 PM

Lalla, I agree with you. Imagine all those years of training. They have to make sure that 700 + years of the Grimaldi dynasty lives on.

angel 04-13-2004 07:10 PM

What type of woman do you think Albert would choose to marry?
Maybe he will surprise us someday

nouwrein 04-14-2004 05:51 AM

pick from the hollywood again albert- like papa heheh :lol:

got to be Natalie Portman&#33; (ok im just joking here heheh B) , with that age difference :o )

but yes, the Natalie Portman kind- classic beauty, clean image, or shall I say the Grace Kelly kind ;)

How about you guys? If we&#39;re to pick from hollywood, who are your bets?

This is just for fun ok ;)

ulik 04-14-2004 08:41 AM

is he gay?

joytotheworld 04-14-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ulik@Apr 14th, 2004 - 7:41 am
is he gay?
I doubt it.

Bubbette 04-14-2004 06:07 PM

I think he is. . . ..

kittencrews 04-14-2004 06:08 PM

no comment... :innocent:

*Elle* 04-14-2004 06:21 PM

Has he ever been pictured doing anything that might make you think that he is gay? Has he ever been pictured with men that look or act gay? I do hope that he is not, but he starting to worry me a little bit. I know that it is not any of my business, but I am quite curious.
Elle

Alexandria 04-14-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by *Elle*@Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:21 pm
Has he ever been pictured doing anything that might make you think that he is gay? Has he ever been pictured with men that look or act gay? I do hope that he is not, but he starting to worry me a little bit. I know that it is not any of my business, but I am quite curious.
Elle

What exactly constitutes "looking or acting gay???"

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s fair --or right-- to generalize or stereotype an entire group of people by certain looks, styles of dress, or "types" or "kinds" of actions.

Dennism 04-14-2004 07:09 PM

He has a very hard thing to do. Whatever woman he chooses to be his wife, she will be compared with his mother. That is unfair to her but it will happen. Of course, the guy could have just been unlucky. It happens.

*Elle* 04-14-2004 07:20 PM

I know that it sounds stereotypical, but I also think that saying that Albert is gay is very stereotypical also. I never meant to offend anyone. When I look back it is a very stereotypical comment. I shall refry my question. Why do people think that he is homosexual? Is there anything that he has done or said to make people think that he is homosexual, other than not being married?
Elle

Alexandria 04-14-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by *Elle*@Apr 14th, 2004 - 7:20 pm
I know that it sounds stereotypical, but I also think that saying that Albert is gay is very stereotypical also. I never meant to offend anyone. When I look back it is a very stereotypical comment.&nbsp; I shall refry my question. Why do people think that he is homosexual? Is there anything that he has done or said to make people think that he is homosexual, other than not being married?
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Elle

I totally disagree. I don&#39;t think that asking if someone is homosexual is a stereotype; it is a yes or no answer. Yes he is or no he isn&#39;t. But trying to define a homosexual look or way of acting and behaving is stereotypical because it judges certain superficial looks or ways of dress or actions. That is the difference.

rarotonga 04-14-2004 11:20 PM

Ditto, Alexandria. There has also been comments about his being gay based merely on the fact that he was seen leaving a Parisian gay bar. My friends (guys, girls, in -betweens, etc.) have gone to gay bars for the shows, and will likely go there again. Does that mean that we&#39;re all gay? No. If we took the time to understand people and not judge them based on stereotypes, then we could certainly have less hate in this world.

I also agree with Dennism&#39;s comments...It&#39;s the same thing for William&#39;s future bride whoever she may be. William&#39;s and Albert&#39;s wives have big shoes to fill. I think it was the same thing for Carolyn Bessette Kennedy as well. Everyone was just so eager to see if she could live up to Jackie O&#39;s style and elegance.

ulik 04-15-2004 07:26 AM

hey..hey..i didn&#39;t mean to create a dispute here :heart:

hrhcp 04-15-2004 11:43 PM

I hope Prince Albert marries
a. Sheena Easton - some stiff upper lip Englsih might go down good.
b. Natalie Cole - more laid back &#39;merkun music would go over well (with me).
c. Gunilla von Bismarck - gold digging in reverse ;) ?

Jacqueline 04-16-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*Elle*@Apr 14th, 2004 - 7:20 pm
I know that it sounds stereotypical, but I also think that saying that Albert is gay is very stereotypical also. I never meant to offend anyone. When I look back it is a very stereotypical comment.* I shall refry my question. Why do people think that he is homosexual? Is there anything that he has done or said to make people think that he is homosexual, other than not being married?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *&nbsp; Elle

I totally disagree. I don&#39;t think that asking if someone is homosexual is a stereotype; it is a yes or no answer. Yes he is or no he isn&#39;t. But trying to define a homosexual look or way of acting and behaving is stereotypical because it judges certain superficial looks or ways of dress or actions. That is the difference. [/b][/quote]
It is really an old cliché that I personally can&#39;t stand. We like to think that the world has evolved but I still hear it where I live all of the time: A man or woman who has never married by a certain age, must "butter their bread on the other side." It is always said in a snotty manner too&#33; :angry: That is one of the most ridiculously ongoing stereotypes. It just makes me want to scream. Heaven forbid, that a person may not have found someone with whom they want to share their life or that they just not be interested in marriage for the moment or ever. :rolleyes:

Quote:

There have also been comments about his being gay based merely on the fact that he was seen leaving a Parisian gay bar. My friends (guys, girls, in -betweens, etc.) have gone to gay bars for the shows, and will likely go there again. Does that mean that we&#39;re all gay? No. If we took the time to understand people and not judge them based on stereotypes, then we could certainly have less hate in this world.
This is another thing that drives me crazy as well. The assumption is automatically made, that since Albert was in a gay bar, he must be gay. He couldn&#39;t possibly have any gay friends or simply have been having a drink. Gay people go to regular bars with everyone else, so why can&#39;t people who aren&#39;t gay, go to gay bars? I&#39;ve been to several gay bars in my life with friends for drinks, or even because I wanted to see a particular entertainer featured that night. Does that mean that I am automatically gay, or that I am testing the waters? It means that I was out with friends at a gay bar, having drinks and a good time.

Typical judgements based solely on complete ignorance.

*Elle* 04-16-2004 12:20 AM

Jacqueline, I think that you have summed up the Albert situation quite well. I agree with you entirely.
Elle

mktv2000 04-16-2004 02:24 PM

Albert has been with Alicia Warlick for a number of years now (at least four). She has accompanied him to the last few Rose Ball events. In a Larry King Live interview not that long ago he hinted that he wasn&#39;t far off from getting married. I think from all that I have read, that Alicia is in very serious training for the 2004 Olympics. There is a lot of talk that they will announce after the Games are over.

Whenever he does it, I have a feeling it will be like Prince Felipe, and be rather out of the blue.
Link to picture:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...fr=fp-tab-web-t

sandee 04-17-2004 01:53 AM

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if any of the grimaldis have a home (or homes) in the United States; I think in the early years of Grace and Rainier&#39;s marriage they had a mansion in New York or sumthing...Im not sure though :unsure:

Lalla Meriem 04-17-2004 03:43 AM

Rainier owns The Palais de Prinse in Monaco, The Chateau de Marchais at the base of the Ardennes, Roc Agel in France near Monaco, a luxury NY apartment, a luxury Paris and a vacation home in Jamaica that I know of. He also has numerous other properties as investments. Caroline and Stephanie each own seperate homes outside of Monaco.

Lalla Meriem 04-17-2004 03:49 AM

I don&#39;t think Albert is gay. I do, however, think he is certainly bi-sexual. He is too well known in Paris&#39; homosexual set and the "leather bar" scene (as Marlene calls it) for him not to also like men. But, that doesn&#39;t really matter does it.

I don&#39;t think Albert is serious with Alicia. He is too often scene with other women. Als friends say his only real relationships have been with women the press have never known of. Besides polvolter as Princess of Monaco?

lal 04-17-2004 09:32 AM

I totally agree with you concerning Alberts choice on his future bride. I believe he will be discreet as Prince Felipe was. Smart choice, don&#39;t you think&#33;

sky 04-17-2004 11:33 AM

https://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=nl&....gossip.royalty
If you go down a bit someone talks about a book where it said that albert has a daughter named Jasmine Grace. Has anyone else heard about her.

angel 04-17-2004 02:43 PM

Do you think he can fall madly in love with a woman and marry right away?
After all his preparation I think he would love to have children to inherit the trone.
I don´t think he will be very glad to see Andrea as his sucesor.
By the way,I don´t see Alicia as the future princess of Monaco

sky 04-17-2004 02:51 PM

i gave a bad link b4 this is what i, wanted to post

Hi, I am new here. However, I would like to comment about Prince
Albert. I read in a recent book about the Grimaldis that he fathered
an illegitemite
daughter whose name is Jasmine Grace. From what I read, she looks
like her grandmother, Princess Grace. Maybe Albert feels a little
guilty if this is true. He has no contact with the child. It may
bother him to marry and father more children. JMO. Also, I don&#39;t
think he is really interested in getting married; Caroline&#39;s children
conveniently relieved him of this responsibility.

Tammy

I&#39;ve read about this girl as well. If she is Albert&#39;s daughter, and was ever
acknowledged as such, she would effectively become his heir, because the
Monegasque inheritance laws allow the princely title to descend to an
illegitimate child.

I would assume this is why he has refused to acknowledge her, if indeed she
is his daughter.

Gillian

Lalla Meriem 04-18-2004 01:58 AM

The book would be by John Glatt...........

The child in question is Jazmine Grace Rotolo Grimaldi the daughter of Tamara Rotolo. Tamara shot herself in the foot with her insane actions with the hope of any support from Albert.

I would also point out that the time of Jazmine&#39;s birth would have made her date of conception some 2 months before Tamara was in Monaco......meaning conceived prior to her ever even meeting Prince Albert.

However, Albert did make himself look rather guilty during the trail. He has had several paternatity suites against him...........none of them have panned out to be his children.

Lalla Meriem 04-18-2004 02:03 AM

The current laws that govern the right to the Princely Throne do NOT allow for inheritance of title, rank or position for illegitimate children. This is why the youngest child of Princess Stephanie has no succession rights to the Throne.

I assume the case you are thinking of is that of Princess Charlotte (Rainier&#39;s mother), and the laws were different then. Princess Charlotte was the natural illegitimate child of The then Hereditary Prince of Monaco. As he had no legitimate heirs she was first adopted then legitimated and allowed into the Princely Family via decree. It was her adoption that gave her rights. She never reigned - Rainier followed his grand father to the throne.

The laws of succession have been changed since John Glatt wrote his book.

Lalla Meriem 04-22-2004 03:45 AM

Grace had co-operated with the making of this movie while she was alive. I saw it and I rather enjoyed it. Grace picked Cheryl to play her. I personally think that Cheryl wasn&#39;t beautiful enough to play Grace.

I am also not one of those people who think that Gwenyth Paltrow is even remotely similar to Grace Kelly. Grace got famous in her own right did more than 10 people know who Gwen was before Brad Pitt. And, she isn&#39;t as beautiful or elegant as Grace. I scoff and the comparisons.

nouwrein 04-22-2004 06:02 AM

a wedding scene from the movie..

https://207.137.168.225/U2103124-7.jpg

kittencrews 04-22-2004 03:53 PM

whoa... for a second when it was first coming up i thought that was really grace&#33;&#33;&#33; lol ha ha

renats 04-22-2004 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 2:45 am
Grace had co-operated with the making of this movie while she was alive. I saw it and I rather enjoyed it. Grace picked Cheryl to play her. I personally think that Cheryl wasn&#39;t beautiful enough to play Grace.

I am also not one of those people who think that Gwenyth Paltrow is even remotely similar to Grace Kelly. Grace got famous in her own right did more than 10 people know who Gwen was before Brad Pitt. And, she isn&#39;t as beautiful or elegant as Grace. I scoff and the comparisons.

I think it depends "which" Grace are you going to compare with them. If you are talking about the "produced" Grace in the shots for Rear Window, she really "beat" those women by far. But if you compare with the "not produced" Grace during the beggining of her adulthood posing with the Kelly family, she&#39;s "beated" by far. Well, that&#39;s my opinion.

By the way, there was another movie about her. The name is something like "The murder of Grace Kelly". I don&#39;t think it&#39;s that name exactly but it&#39;s something similar. It&#39;s a very "gossip kind" movie.

Lalla Meriem 04-23-2004 04:19 AM

I think Grace was simply divine since she reached her midteen years. She was a classic beauty even while she was at Stevens.

nouwrein 04-23-2004 04:32 AM

And here&#39;s the real wedding scene where Rainier slips the ring on Grace&#39;s finger.

https://207.137.168.225/6dy0xl1t_guest.jpg

https://207.137.168.225/Image16.jpg

if we compare it to the above picture of Cheryl Ladd in the same scene, notice how far behind Cheryl is in the &#39;poise&#39; category. Look at how poised Grace is (considering that Grace&#39;s was a spontaneous act, and not film acting)

I agree with you Lalla Meriem. For me, Princess Grace is close to perfection.

nouwrein 04-23-2004 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by renats+Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lalla Meriem@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 2:45 am
Grace had co-operated with the making of this movie while she was alive. I saw it and I rather enjoyed it. Grace picked Cheryl to play her. I personally think that Cheryl wasn&#39;t&nbsp; beautiful enough to play Grace.

I think it depends "which" Grace are you going to compare with them. If you are talking about the "produced" Grace in the shots for Rear Window, she really "beat" those women by far. But if you compare with the "not produced" Grace during the beggining of her adulthood posing with the Kelly family, she&#39;s "beated" by far. Well, that&#39;s my opinion.

By the way, there was another movie about her. The name is something like "The murder of Grace Kelly". I don&#39;t think it&#39;s that name exactly but it&#39;s something similar. It&#39;s a very "gossip kind" movie. [/b][/quote]
I disagree. If you are going to compare the &#39;produced&#39; Grace (as you termed it) to the &#39;produced&#39; Gwenyth/Cheryl/other women, I think Grace &#39;beat&#39; those women by far. And if you&#39;re going to compare the &#39;not produced&#39; Grace with the &#39;not produced&#39; Gwyneth/Cheryl/Other women during the beginning of their adulthood too, I think Grace still &#39;beats&#39; them by far.

All of us go through a stage in life where we were not in full bloom. Just my opinion ;)

renats 04-23-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nouwrein+Apr 23rd, 2004 - 3:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nouwrein @ Apr 23rd, 2004 - 3:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:

Originally posted by renats@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:36 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Lalla Meriem
Quote:

@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 2:45 am
Grace had co-operated with the making of this movie while she was alive. I saw it and I rather enjoyed it. Grace picked Cheryl to play her. I personally think that Cheryl wasn&#39;t* beautiful enough to play Grace.

By the way, there was another movie about her. The name is something like "The murder of Grace Kelly". I don&#39;t think it&#39;s that name exactly but it&#39;s something similar. It&#39;s a very "gossip kind" movie.

I disagree. If you are going to compare the &#39;produced&#39; Grace (as you termed it) to the &#39;produced&#39; Gwenyth/Cheryl/other women, I think Grace &#39;beat&#39; those women by far. And if you&#39;re going to compare the &#39;not produced&#39; Grace with the &#39;not produced&#39; Gwyneth/Cheryl/Other women during the beginning of their adulthood too, I think Grace still &#39;beats&#39; them by far.

All of us go through a stage in life where we were not in full bloom. Just my opinion ;) [/b][/quote]
I agree that in the "produced" pictures she beats them by far. In the promotion shots for Rear Window she was simply amazing. But I do think that Grace was quite unattractive in most of her teen and early adulthood pictures. I never saw "not produced pictures from the other 2. Do you have links for their teen and early adult years?

Freedom 05-24-2004 08:25 AM

What is the Municipality/Royal family managing well?

Freedom 05-24-2004 09:06 AM

I think Monaco does a great job of attracting & marketing high profile events.

totally_marianne 05-25-2004 03:49 AM

i think the most right thing with monaco is the older inhabitants demanding that someone in charge keep up the traditions & heritage in spite of... gotta remember... the older people of that region are really très parochial... and... they want to keep that heritage more than they want too much more change too quickly... the old-timers really don&#39;t want the corporate or &#39;club med&#39; image to overshadow their past... there&#39;s something to be said for heritage... justa thought...

totally... marianne...
criminal law next yr. @ harvard...

Freedom 05-25-2004 08:36 AM

I completely agree Totally Marianne. While change is inevitable and indeed necessary, it occurs ideally when it happens via well-thought-out checks and balances. The older generation taking an active role in the preservation of Monaco is something to be revered.

Oh, & Thank You Totally Marianne for replying&#33; :flower:

Independent woman 05-25-2004 12:10 PM

What I like the most about MRF are their charitable activities. Their involvement with humanitarian organizations made awareness of those organizations to bigger public. Caroline became last year goodwill ambassador to UNESCO. Albert and Stephanie contributed to the awareness of AIDS and fight against AIDS. MRF are helping a lot to those who are less privileged. They organize many different events to raise money for good causes. They do really good job.

PS.: Freedom, this is better course. ;)

sherry11 05-26-2004 04:04 AM

Yeah&#33; Even Marianne, my roommate, had to admit to me that The Royal Family does do a lot of nice things with their charity work. And that is nice too&#33;

Sherry&#33;

kloss 05-28-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by totally_marianne@May 25th, 2004 - 3:49 am
i think the most right thing with monaco is the older inhabitants demanding that someone in charge keep up the traditions & heritage in spite of... gotta remember... the older people of that region are really très parochial... and... they want to keep that heritage more than they want too much more change too quickly... the old-timers really don&#39;t want the corporate or &#39;club med&#39; image to overshadow their past... there&#39;s something to be said for heritage... justa thought...

totally... marianne...
criminal law next yr. @ harvard...

I agree&#33; :rolleyes:

hillary_nugent 05-30-2004 08:14 AM

Well from what i have read and heard Monaco seems to be a rather wealthy place a haven for the rich and famous so finanically they must be doing well so they must manage their economy well ^^

Oh and they have a really famous and wealthy casino too...and that is run well as well ^___^

Independent woman 05-30-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hillary_nugent@May 30th, 2004 - 8:14 am
Well from what i have read and heard Monaco seems to be a rather wealthy place a haven for the rich and famous so finanically they must be doing well so they must manage their economy well ^^

Oh and they have a really famous and wealthy casino too...and that is run well as well ^___^

...and many bars, clubs…I don’t know anything about those places. :lol: :rolleyes:

Monaco is the right place for fun and pleasure.

GrandDuchess 07-04-2004 12:33 PM

An article from the Scotsman today:

Can medieval Monaco survive the 21st century?

MORT ROSENBLUM IN MONACO

IN A quirk of time and space, a motorist can leave France’s A8 motorway near Nice and, without seeing so much as a welcome sign, downshift into a jet-age version of the 12th century.

But the 900-year-old enclave of Monaco is an anachronism at risk as a different sort of Europe takes shape. Medieval Monaco, with its storybook palace looming on a rock above the high-roller casino of Monte Carlo, is in some danger of melting away into France.

Rainier III, the ramrod-straight prince who spent 50 years turning an oddment of history on a speck of barren Riviera coast into a sparkling hideout for the eccentric rich, is 81 and ailing.

For three weeks, he was treated in hospital for "general fatigue" and then spent 12 more days in the hospital for what the palace described as heart problems.

Rainier’s son, Albert, is heir apparent. Though shy and retiring at 46, he is nonetheless popular in the tiny principality.

Still, the world is changing quickly around Monaco. Its French neighbours now belong to a 25-nation European Union bent on eradicating old anomalies. To survive, it is likely to need a tough-minded ruler.

For many close to the inner circle, such as Nadia Lacoste, Albert is plainly up to the job. Lacoste was palace spokeswoman in the heady days of Princess Grace, the actress Grace Kelly, who died in 1982. "Albert will be a wonderful prince," she said. "On his own, he’ll show a dynamic personality and effective leadership."

Other insiders expect Albert to withdraw from public life, although none agree to be named, fearing regal wrath.

If the unmarried prince has no heir, or steps aside, his sister Princess Caroline of Hanover is next in line. Then comes Stephanie, a photographers’ favourite for her serial rebellious liaisons.

French authorities refuse comment on the status of Monaco, but a message was sent in 1962, when President Charles de Gaulle resolved an economic dispute with a bald show of force, and Rainier backed down in a face-saving compromise.

Monaco’s independence is in many ways a state of mind. It issues passports and postage stamps. An elected legislative council drafts bills for the prince to sign. The principality belongs to the United Nations.

But even before the EU abolished checks at French road borders, visitors breezed into Monaco without realising it. The currency is now the euro. And Monaco’s prince chooses his prime minister from among three Frenchmen picked in Paris.

Quietly but increasingly, people speculate that a future French government will be tempted to exert sovereignty in the absence of a strong leader.

Certainly, Rainier’s shoes will be hard to fill. The prince has spent most of his life remaking Monaco. In the 1950s, he wooed and wed Grace Kelly at the peak of her Hollywood fame, taking the little state into the realm of fairytale. When the princess died on a hairpin bend on the road from Nice, he channelled his grief into yet more public works.

Still tiny, with a population of 32,000 that includes only 7,000 citizens, Monaco grew by 20 per cent on reclaimed land.

After high-rise flats climbed up the mountainside, builders dug deep for underground office space and more parking for Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Old Monaco, atop its rocky bluff, takes in the turreted stone palace, the cathedral where Grace’s remains are entombed, and a few narrow cobbled streets of ministries and tourist shops.

Monte Carlo lies below, spreading beyond a small port choked with the giant white yachts of European industry kings and Middle Eastern potentates.

Official estimates put the gross domestic product near 750 million (£500 million), making per capita income of more than 22,500 among the world’s highest.

France has urged Monaco to crack down on money laundering, and EU authorities have pressed for a loosening of bank secrecy. In December, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) named only five countries as unco-operative tax havens: Andorra, Liberia, Liechtenstein, the Marshall Islands and Monaco.

Monaco’s government clearly feels a need to adapt to this new European order.

Also, it needs a broader tax base. "Without doubt, we must diversify, bring in new industries and businesses that go beyond casinos and tourism," said Frank Biancheri, the economy minister.

The old attraction is waning. Perpetually jammed traffic dampens the Mediterranean mood. Prices are high.

After Italy allowed its countrymen to repatriate questionable fortunes, 5,000 people moved home to Italy.

Monaco’s character has changed dramatically. "Visitors came for an entire season," said Jacques Ferreyrolles, 83, whose family has run the Balmoral Hotel since 1896. "They had style, a sense of class. Now they just come and go in a few days ... The Americans now, they don’t even change for dinner."

For many Monegasques, the Royal mystique is also wearing thin. Caroline’s third husband, Prince Ernst August of Hanover, has been in trouble for punching a German photographer and a hotel owner. Stephanie, with two children born out of wedlock, periodically scandalises Monaco.

On the streets, opinions are mixed. Some are rude about their royalty. Others are enthusiastic.

But nearly everyone defines the principality by its prince, Lucie Rinaldi, a shipchandler at the old port for 40 years, shrugged when asked about a future after Rainier.

"We don’t know much about what happens up on the Rock. But we know what he has done for Monaco. We will miss him and, whatever does happen next, the place won’t be the same."

Independent woman 07-04-2004 05:58 PM

Thanks, for the post. I was about to post the article. I have no doubt that in the future all royal families will have problems to keep to their thrones. I believe Albert has a good change to survive. And if he will able to figure out his personal life, I can tell you for sure he will be around for a long time. I just hope he won’t end up with some dumb beauty.

We simply need Monaco the world wouldn’t be the same place. I had mention earlier about Monaco’s relation with EU. Some work need to be done. Today’s political and economical situation is changing very quickly. We are in a process of globalization and world is becoming a small place. :heart:

rarotonga 07-05-2004 03:38 AM

I agree. All royal families must find a way to keep up with the changing world environment while holding on to age-old traditions. It&#39;s a difficult balance to say the least. I guess that&#39;s also true for businesses....they must always find innovative ways to market their products, services, what have you, to stay afloat. Just think of the many ways Coca-Cola and Pepsi have marketed themselves throughout the years. Still the same "great taste" with variations along the way. Or, like Madonna who has gone from pop queen to Material Girl to her Justify-My-Love video days, to yoga fanatic, to Kaballah follower, to children&#39;s books author.

I also agree that Albert has to sort out his personal life. Maybe he already has but still hasn&#39;t met that person. That person must realize that it&#39;s not champagne wishes and caviar dreams every day. I mean, aside from She has got to have the business sense to know how to keep the family enterprise afloat, and be strong enough to take in the challenges ahead with grace.

grecka 07-05-2004 08:35 AM

Once Albert marries Florence Henderson, everything will be fine.

Freedom 07-05-2004 09:09 AM

GrandDuchess-Thanks for posting this interesting article.

Independent Woman-I fully agree the world needs Monaco. It is a gem that is getting more valuable as the world around it spurs rapidly into the future.

Rarotonga-You nailed it. While it is imperative Monaco holds tightly onto its history and traditions, it too must evolve in order to effectively work with outside entities.

Grecka- good one. Thanks for the laugh. :P

My two cents-I really do not see a need for Albert to rush into a marriage. He&#39;ll do just fine managing Monaco on his own. Sure it may be more enjoyable with the right woman by his side, but it&#39;s not critical to Monaco&#39;s future. There are plenty of other heirs around to take over should the eventual need arise. Furthermore, I think Monaco is showing its willingness to evolve. It is seeking other avenues to derive income, it remains diligently involved in world affairs, all the while continuing to preserve the qualities that make Monaco unique and special. I don&#39;t think there is any place (even remotely) like it in the world, and for that reason I can&#39;t imagine it falling out of favor.

hillary_nugent 07-05-2004 11:50 PM

Well they&#39;re been around for over 700 years now...they&#39;re survived that long despite many obstacles and people&#39;s doubt there is not reason really that the can&#39;t survive another 700 years ^__^

Paulina 07-06-2004 12:24 AM

Have any of Caroline&#39;s children shown an active interest in the actual business of running Monaco? It is a near absolute-principality, right? With the PR having a great deal of power.

hillary_nugent 07-06-2004 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paulina@Jul 5th, 2004 - 11:24 pm
Have any of Caroline&#39;s children shown an active interest in the actual business of running Monaco? It is a near absolute-principality, right? With the PR having a great deal of power.
I haven&#39;t noticed any real active involvement in running Monaco from Caroline&#39;s children apart from the occasional appearance with their mother and step-father at certain functions and celebration but apart from that there most active involvement would be looking pretty and cute and providing the press with their latest gossip :P

Australian 08-25-2004 08:07 AM

Australian visit?

Has any of the Monegasque royals ever been to Australia?

smdouglas 08-25-2004 10:58 AM

Yes

Prince Albert was there before and during the Sydney Olympics. I don't know about the others of the Princely family.

hillary_nugent 08-27-2004 08:22 AM

Ah....when Pierre and i marry there will definitely be MANY Monegasque royal visits to Australia but until then we just hope that another city in Australia gets to host the Olympics again!!! hahaha

araciela 08-30-2004 03:15 AM

Principalities have no kings, only sovereign princes .. so even when he takes over the crown, he will remain a prince ... but NO longer Hereditary Prince, but Sovereign Prince.

Natalie Portman is wonderful, beautiful and intelligent with her Harvard background.

One has to ask themselves, he has had access to ALL Hollywood women for decades, and he has NOT taken up with ANY of them. He is looking for something else. Something different. He does NOT have the same needs his father did and he does NOT want to see someone's career clipped like his mother's ... the sadness would be too great for him to watch.

Also, he needs someone he loves who can weather the beating she will take from the media and relatives.

He will choose someone flawed with a portable career and who can stand her ground with all those around him.

He will choose someone his sister's love and get along with and he will have some children.

I have heard it said that he will find a woman in a country which ties her to more than one country with French and English-speaking people, this would naturally increase trade and tourism to Monaco; and she will be bright, intelligent, have weathered great ordeals in life which will make her perfect to handle anything which is thrown at her, she will be talented in her own rights, able to have a business/financial conversation with him and others in his circle, but be able to step back out of the limelight and make him shine even more with her modesty.

He will marry someone with a deep spiritual background, remember, he adored his mother who believed in angels, spirits, astrology, fortune-tellers, and Fate more than anyone else around him. He will look for someone who indulges this part of him as few people are centred and deep enough to be open to this and be well-educated.

She will look more like his sisters than his mother, he has had little luck with blondes and is very, VERY comfortable with his sisters.

This is hard to find and he is still looking for these qualities.

But he is STILL looking and he will find her next year! Just wait and see!

:o)

araciela 08-30-2004 03:22 AM

He will marry someone from an exotic location who is well-bred and speaks English and French and who can captivate an audience for more than her looks and acting or singing .. she will be someone who will be changing the world when he meets her ...

He wants to marry someone he feels is better than he is ... then he will be happy having her love him back ...

semisquare 09-02-2004 11:58 AM

so you say he is gay-i guess i would be happy too if i had all that money-lol
but here is a thought-can he really marry whomever he wants;black or white, very poor etc?
my personal opinion is he couldnt,he would have to stay with a certain type of person.