The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 3: May-December 2004 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/queen-elizabeth-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-current-events-3-may-december-2004-a-3295.html)

Bubbette 04-30-2004 03:26 PM

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 3: May-December 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/04/30...p.ap/index.html

LONDON (AP) -- A new portrait of Queen Elizabeth II's husband, Prince Philip, depicts him bare-chested with a bug on his shoulder and a plant growing out of his finger.

The artist said that when Prince Philip saw the painting in its early stages he exclaimed, "Gadzooks! As long as I don't have to have it on my wall."

Lyonnaise 04-30-2004 09:23 PM

That was on the front page of a newspaper in Canada. I almost choked on my muffin when I saw it. I can't figure out what's funnier: the Prince's reaction or the fact that the Prince was clothed and the artist "imagined" him topless!!!

ally_cooper 05-01-2004 11:11 AM

I've heard that Prince Philip is absolutly furious, but to my it seem ... very funny :lol: .

Laila 05-02-2004 12:06 AM

I read that he some times say things without thinking of the results, meaning that he is not diplomatic.

Alexandria 05-02-2004 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lyonnaise@Apr 30th, 2004 - 9:23 pm
That was on the front page of a newspaper in Canada. I almost choked on my muffin when I saw it. I can't figure out what's funnier: the Prince's reaction or the fact that the Prince was clothed and the artist "imagined" him topless!!!
I think it was the cover of the National Post (getting in a bit of revenge for its former owner Conrad Black???). I remember walking by it on my way to work from the train station and almost spitting out my coffee when I saw the portrait. Not a pretty sight at all!

tiaraprin 05-28-2004 09:22 PM

I just love it!! Philip gets some comeuppance for his indiscretions!! Now he is "indiscreet" forever on canvas!! :P :lol:

However, this following snippet from the CNN website goes a little bit too far:

The artist said the blue fly, known as a bluebottle, which he placed on Philip's shoulder, was meant to emphasize the prince's mortality, because it feeds on decaying organic matter and is sometimes used as a reminder of death.

It isn't nice to speak about or project someone's death!! :sick: :shock: :huh:
:wacko:

maryshawn 06-19-2004 06:18 PM

Is Prince Phillip in good health or not? I have not seen a photo of him in awhile and heard he was suffering from some degenerative disease.

timtonruben359 06-19-2004 07:50 PM

Don't beleive everything you hear. There have been reports of the Prince being in bad health since the Golden Jubilee. True he is a little frail but he is in his 80s. For the most part he is still in good shape. He was seen in public the other day for Ascot and the Garter celebrations.

tiaraprin 06-19-2004 09:59 PM

I have to concur with Timtonruben. He is still making very public appearances at the Garter ceremony and the Trooping of the Colour. The man just turned 83 and despite his best efforts, he has aged. No one can fight time forever--but the Duchess of Windsor gave it a great shot!!! :P

I worry for the Queen if and when something goes wrong. She lost her mother and sister in the space of 7 weeks in 2002. If Philip passes, I wonder how Her Majesty will fare?? I know she is a strong woman, but it has to be harder as she gets older.

Elspeth 06-19-2004 10:08 PM

Yes, especially since it's rumoured that she and Prince Charles aren't particularly close. Let's hope Prince Philip lasts for a good few years yet.

tiaraprin 06-19-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 19th, 2004 - 9:08 pm
Yes, especially since it's rumoured that she and Prince Charles aren't particularly close. Let's hope Prince Philip lasts for a good few years yet.
What is the latest Elspeth?? Is it Camilla related???

HMQueenElizabethII 06-19-2004 10:36 PM

I hope that Prince Philip will live more than 90.GOD SAVE PRINCE PHILIP :flower:

timtonruben359 06-20-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 8:59 pm
If Philip passes, I wonder how Her Majesty will fare?? I know she is a strong woman, but it has to be harder as she gets older.
I still have a hard time remembering that Her Majesty and Prince Philip aren't getting any younger. As sad as it is to think when HRH's time does come it will be very hard for her, as all loss is hard, but her family will rally around her as when the Queen Mother and her sister passed on.

sara1981 06-20-2004 12:47 AM

im sure!

Prince Phillip had health problems i read articles said he had laser cancer or whatever where he wents for appt! if HM Queen really worried about him!

Sara Boyce

tiaraprin 06-20-2004 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sara1981@Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:47 pm
im sure!

Prince Phillip had health problems i read articles said he had laser cancer or whatever where he wents for appt! if HM Queen really worried about him!

Sara Boyce

I totally did not understand what you just said Sara?

Elspeth 06-20-2004 12:56 AM

I don't think it has to do with Camilla; I just gathered that there was always a distance betwseen Charles and his parents, which is why he was so much closer to the Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten when he was younger, and he and the Queen appear to have different outlooks on a lot of things. I'm quite sure his marital debacle hasn't helped, though.

tiaraprin 06-20-2004 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:56 pm
I don't think it has to do with Camilla; I just gathered that there was always a distance betwseen Charles and his parents, which is why he was so much closer to the Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten when he was younger, and he and the Queen appear to have different outlooks on a lot of things. I'm quite sure his marital debacle hasn't helped, though.
Thanks Elspeth. I thought there was something new that was pushing them further apart.

I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!! :shock:

hrhcp 06-20-2004 01:26 AM

Quote:

Elspeth  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:56 pm

Too bad about Charles and with the relationship with his parents. ..... certainly the 'generation gap' that came to play - the 'Beatles' and so on.
And (sadly just like in Denmark with Prince Henrik) the fathering = and pseudo-mothering = came from one who had a severe case of PMS realizing that they were second fiddle, not a bread earner, didn't need to do anything fearless ..... a real separator effect.

Elspeth 06-20-2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!!
I think that's just the way the royal family refers to their female parents. The Queen was calling the Queen Mother " mummy" in a documentary made fairly recently.

tiaraprin 06-21-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 20th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
Quote:

I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!!
I think that's just the way the royal family refers to their female parents. The Queen was calling the Queen Mother " mummy" in a documentary made fairly recently.

The reason I was shocked that he called her "Mummy" in public is because their relationship is very tenuous, to say the least. I didn't think he would have the "guts" to refer to Her Majesty that way in public.

HMQueenElizabethII 08-07-2004 01:05 AM

Are there any files or links to hear Queen Elizabeth speak?

glossypinky 08-07-2004 09:35 AM

Here's a video of the Queen giving a speech at Princess Diana's memorial fountain.
Click on the second link,under Watch and Listen
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3866863.stm
Hope it helps!

HMQueenElizabethII 08-09-2004 10:00 AM

Thank you,Glossypinky.

Martine 08-21-2004 11:10 AM

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, News and Pictures thread IV

Welcome to the Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip thread, new and pictures : part 4 !!!

for older posts in the 3rd part : https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...?t=2149&page=1

HMQueenElizabethII 08-21-2004 11:49 AM

I hope there will be a lot of news and new pictures of HER GRACIOUS MAJESTY and her husband HRH PRINCE PHILIP.Wait and see for the pictures in the future:Opening of Scottish Parliarment,State Visit of The Queen to Germany,State Visit of French President to UK,Opening of Parliament,.. and other pics from Engagements of Her Majesty and The Duke.

HMQueenElizabethII 08-25-2004 05:46 AM

Had the date of French State Visit to Great Britain announced yet?

Australian 08-25-2004 09:36 AM

Queen of Australia

When will the Elizabeth II visit australia again?

HMQueenElizabethII 08-25-2004 10:25 AM

i don't know.Maybe next year?Next year The Queen will visit Canada.I hope that she will visit Australia.

sara1981 08-25-2004 07:12 PM

I found out sun news about Queen's choir boss in jail

https://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004391843,00.html

Sara Boyce

saxon 08-25-2004 07:48 PM

State Visits

When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....

timtonruben359 08-25-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxon
When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....

It is very rare for the Queen to make a state visit to other countries in any other role besides Queen of the United Kingdom. For the most part the Queen acts only as Queen of Australia, or Canada when she is in that country. It is usually the Governor-Generals of the commonwealth realms who make state visits abroad, when they do they represent both the people of their country and the Queen. However, their are exceptions for example the Queen has traveled to the United States as a Princess of Canada in 1951 and later as Queen of Canada in 1957 or 1959 I can't remember the exact year.

In 2003 Her Majesty acted as Queen of Australia during the opening of the Autralian War Memorial in London. In 2004 she acted as Queen of Canada during a special ceremony marking D-Day at Juno Beach in France. She has also acted as Queen of Canada during the unveiling of the Canadian War Memorial in London.

But for the most part, she only acts as Queen of her commonwealth realms when in those countries. The reason for this is that there would be too much confusion as to what role she is performing if she traveled to one country as Queen of New Zealand and then as Queen of Jamaica to another for example.

timtonruben359 08-25-2004 08:19 PM

New Canadian $20 Bill

The Bank of Canada today displayed the new Canadian $20 which features a new more updated picture of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada. Click on the link below to see a picture.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/bankno...2001-05_20.htm

HMQueenElizabethII 08-26-2004 12:54 AM

Nice new dollar.

HMQueenElizabethII 08-27-2004 10:29 AM

I 've read that The Queen will open The Commonwealth Meeting in Malta in Dec. next year.But has The Queen ever opened The Commonwealth Games in other countries in The Commonwealth yet?Or only in Great Britain?Because the next Commonwealth Games will be in Australia.So i want to know?

Iluvbertie 08-27-2004 10:53 PM

opening Commonwealth Games

The Queen doesn't open the games at all. She sends a representative to do it for her e.g. in Brisbane in 1982 Prince Philip did it and in KL in 1998 and Manchester in 2002 Prince Edward did it.

Prince Philip opened the games, in the name of the Queen, on most, if not all occasions, from 1958 to 1998 I think. The Queen was not well enough in 1958, according to my recollection and research, to go to Cardiff for the opening but was there for the closing which is when the system changed to what it is today.

In the mid to late 90s the Duke of Edinburgh started handing over some of his leadership roles to Prince Edward - e.g. the role with the Commonwealth Games and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

My records indicate that she always closes the games so I expect her, and the Duke, to be visiting Melbourne, God willing, in 2006. Other members of the family also usually attend.

Danielle 08-28-2004 05:57 PM

We are deprived of royalty here. =(

timtonruben359 08-30-2004 12:29 AM

The Queen

It is not known when the Queen will next visit Australia. The Queen only visits Australia when the Australian government asks her to come.

Australian 08-30-2004 12:34 AM

Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often

timtonruben359 08-30-2004 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often

As I stated before the matter is not in the Queen's hands it's up to the Australian government to ask her to come on a visit. Visits vary in all of her Commonwealth realms. For example in Canada the Queen is asked by the government to make a tour once every two to three years, though it is expected that her trips aboard will be cut back as she gets older.

I know the Queen visited Australia last during her Golden Jubliee in 2002 so hopefully in the near future the Australian government will ask her to come again. The other reason why the Queen has not been asked to make many tours of Australia in recent years is because of the growing republic movement in Australia, espically back in the late 1990s when the vote on the future of the monarchy in Australia was held.

Australian 08-30-2004 12:51 AM

Yes thats right, what would you think if Australia had it's own monarchy, but it started a long time ago. Would the "Australian monarchy' be respected overseas? would we be included in overseas royal weddings etc. Just curious

timtonruben359 08-30-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian
Yes thats right, what would you think if Australia had it's own monarchy, but it started a long time ago. Would the "Australian monarchy' be respected overseas? would we be included in overseas royal weddings etc. Just curious

If Australia had it own monarchy and assuming the King or Queen of the day was related to some of the worlds other royal houses yes Australia would probably have big royal wedding and be respected.

It should be interesting to note that the idea of the commonwealth realms getting their own monarch has been something that has been discussed before. Way back in the era of Queen Victoria there was some discussion that some of her children should assume the thrones of the bigger overseas realms like Canada and Australia, but Victoria was dead against this.

It was even once discussed during the present Queen's reign, but again nothing came of it.

Iluvbertie 08-31-2004 07:26 AM

Queen of Australia to Australia

I would anticipate that the next visit of the Queen of Australia to these shores would be in 2006. My reason for saying this is that Melbourne is hosting the Commonwealth Games that year and it would not be the done thing for the Head of the Commonwealth not to attend the games. Traditionally she has closed the games so I do expect her to visit then.

HMQueenElizabethII 09-04-2004 11:23 AM

Braemar Games will take place today.Wait and see.Hope that we can see a lot photos of Her Majesty and the Duke.We hadn't seen them for month.

sharon_rose 09-05-2004 01:39 PM

Potrait of a Marriage

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Elspeth 09-05-2004 07:09 PM

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link!

Martine 09-06-2004 07:07 AM

6 Attachment(s)
more pics of the Braemar gathering

www.ibl.se

HMQueenElizabethII 09-06-2004 09:18 AM

How many days will The Queen appear at Braemar Days?Or only one day?

sara1981 09-06-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
How many days will The Queen appear at Braemar Days?Or only one day?

every year! when HM Queen loves watch Braemar days with her children and her grandchildren its really traditional that why HM Queen watch that Braemar days not one days.

Sara Boyce

micas 09-06-2004 01:40 PM

Thanks for all lovely pics, they are amaizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danjel 09-07-2004 07:54 AM

One face two persons

2 Attachment(s)
It strucks me that HM Queen Elizabeth II resembles her paternal grandmother, Queen Mary more and more....but when she was younger she looked a lot like her maternal aunt, Countess Rose Granville, sister of the Queen Mum.

HMQueenElizabethII 09-08-2004 08:44 AM

The Queen looks really nice and lovely at Braemar.

HMQueenElizabethII 09-10-2004 06:25 AM

The British Monarchy page has announced that The Queen will open The Parliament on 23rd this year.

HMQueenElizabethII 09-19-2004 06:17 AM

Buckingham Palace has announced that The Queen will host receptions for British Olympic Team on 18th October and British Paralympic Team on 25th October.It 's so nice.We will have a lot of more new pics of The Queen.

sharon_rose 09-20-2004 01:12 PM

https://www.calgarysun.com/perl-bin/n...88421.html&a=1

Cookbook shares royal recipes

timtonruben359 09-21-2004 06:28 PM

Her Majesty the Queen will visit Canada in 2005

It was announced today from Rideau Hall (the Queen's official Canadian residence) that Her Majesty will visit Canada from May 17 to May 25, 2005. Here is the official release:

Her Majesty The Queen to visit Canada

September 21, 2004

OTTAWA - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General of Canada, is pleased to announce that Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh have accepted the invitation to visit Canada extended to them on behalf of the Government of Canada.

The visit will take place from May 17 to May 25, 2005 during which time the Royal Couple will visit Saskatchewan and Alberta to commemorate the centenary of the entry of those two provinces into Confederation.

A detailed itinerary will be developed and published at a later date by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

-30-
Media information
Len Westerberg
Media Relations
Canadian Heritage
(819) 994-5589
www.pch.gc.ca

France Langlois
Rideau Hall Press Office
(613) 993-8157
www.gg.ca

ausroyalfan 09-22-2004 05:06 AM

The Queen's apparently going to land in Darwin and head down to Adelaide on The Ghan (3 days travel by train afaik - recently been extended from Alice Springs to Darwin) then will probably head east from Adelaide into Melbourne in 2006.

HMQueenElizabethII 09-25-2004 12:09 PM

Wow!!!!8 days in Canada!We will have a lot of photos of The Queen and The Duke next year.Hope that The Queen will wear a lot of new outfit.At that time,i will be in Australia because next month i will come to Australia to study there.So i hope that i can get a lot of beautiful pics.

Mandy 09-26-2004 09:29 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I found these old pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip while looking for pictures today.
From kpa photo archives.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-03-2004 02:14 AM

The Queen will open the Scottish Parliarment 3 days later.Hope that a lot of new pics of her majesty and the Duke.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-09-2004 10:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Queen on her official open the Scottish Parliarment Building.She looked nice but she wears old outfit.

glossypinky 10-09-2004 01:49 PM

Here's an interesting article about Elizabeth and Philip along with a video.
https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...-SearchStories

glossypinky 10-09-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
The Queen on her official open the Scottish Parliarment Building.She looked nice but she wears old outfit.

Article.
https://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...2330-2689r.htm

Ephram 10-09-2004 11:50 PM

Hallo,

Anyone knows the exact date for the State Opening of British parliament? Please in form me.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-10-2004 04:29 AM

The Queen will open The British Parliarment on 23rd November this year.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-10-2004 04:52 AM

The Queen will attend a Reception for the Newspaper Press Fund at St James's Palace on Thursday 12th October.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-10-2004 04:54 AM

The President of The Republic of Korea and Mrs Roh Moo-Hyun will pay their State Visit to The United Kingdom by the invitation of The Queen on wednesday,1st December this year.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-10-2004 04:56 AM

Will President Chirac visit UK?Do you know the exactly day?I don't see that from the Engagements at British Royal Page.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-13-2004 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New pic of The Queen yesterday from Getty.

HMQueenElizabethII 10-14-2004 01:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Queen on her engagement today.

Martine 10-14-2004 02:36 PM

thank you for all the nice pics!

HMQueenElizabethII 10-15-2004 08:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Queen wears a garland she received on her arrival at the Gurdware Sri Singh Sabha Temple in London today.The Queen will view an exibition at the temple to mark the 400th anniversary of Skih Scriptures.

norwegianne 10-15-2004 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Queen Elizabeth inside the temple:

Picture from https://www.vg.no

norwegianne 10-15-2004 02:11 PM

From Hello Magazine:

Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by her husband the Duke of Edinburgh, took some unusual steps during their latest official visit to a west London Sikh temple.

After receiving a pink and white floral garland upon her arrival at the Gurdware Sri Singh Sabha Temple in Houslow, the Queen donned a cream-coloured headscarf and removed her shoes to enter the place of worship, in line with cultural tradition.

Still wearing black gloves and carrying a matching handbag, the monarch, clad in socks and a white tweed dress, continued her visit by meeting war veterans and viewing an exhibition to mark the 400th anniversary of Sikh scriptures.

The monarch's husband, Prince Philip, who had also been presented with a white floral garland on arrival, likewised conformed to tradition by wearing a blue scarf on his head during the tour.

Martine 10-15-2004 02:26 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Queen Opens New Ministry of Defence Building

HMQueenElizabethII 10-15-2004 02:26 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Some more pics of The Queen and The Duke.

Martine 10-15-2004 02:30 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Queen Elizabeth visits Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha (the Sikh Temple) in Hounslow, west London, October 15, 2004. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh opened phase two of the development on Friday.

https://pro.corbis.com

Martine 10-15-2004 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Queen Elizabeth visits Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha (the Sikh Temple) in Hounslow, west London, October 15, 2004. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh opened phase two of the development on Friday.

pics for https://pro.corbis.com

norwegianne 10-15-2004 02:40 PM

Okay, was I the only one who looked at the Duke of Edinburgh in the blue bandanna and thought: That's what Prince Harry's going to look like when he gets that old?

That was actually my initial thought. Something about the smile, and the angle on his head in the photo.

sara1981 10-15-2004 03:21 PM

HM and Prince Philip visit cultural people like Princess Diana before Diana's death when Diana attend there in summer 1997

Sara Boyce

Ennyllorac 10-15-2004 04:41 PM

How old is the Duke now?

sharon_rose 10-15-2004 04:45 PM

Born Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark on the island of Corfu on June 10 1921.

83 years of age.

Martine 10-15-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Okay, was I the only one who looked at the Duke of Edinburgh in the blue bandanna and thought: That's what Prince Harry's going to look like when he gets that old?

That was actually my initial thought. Something about the smile, and the angle on his head in the photo.

yeh you're right :D i could really see harry with a bandana at 83 too:)

HMQueenElizabethII 10-19-2004 02:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Queen received The British Olympics Team.

pdas1201 10-19-2004 07:52 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Queen Elizabeth II hosts a reception for Olympic and Paralympic athletes at Buckingham Palace.
Princess Anne was also present...

sharon_rose 10-20-2004 01:13 AM

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II

1 Attachment(s)
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II receives the Secretary General of the United Nations, Mr Kofi Annan, at Buckingham Palace London. on October 19, 2004 (Pictured: Queen Elizabeth II, Kofi Annan) Photo by KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH/PA/ABACA

https://www.abacausa.com/ximagi/searc...nment_id=13861

HMQueenElizabethII 10-22-2004 08:16 AM

French President Jacques Chirac and his wife madame Chirac will visit The United Kingdom from 18th Nov to 19th Nov.Only one day!So it is not a State Visit.

pdas1201 10-22-2004 10:32 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Queen Elizabeth "liz" II visits Manchester, UK

2) QEII with Co-Chancellor Anna Ford of the University of Manchester

4-5) QEII presenting Co-Chancellor Anna Ford with the royal charter for formal establishment of the University of Manchester

7-8) QEII visiting the royal school for deaf in Stockport, Greater Manchester

HMQueenElizabethII 10-23-2004 08:24 PM

So beautiful pics.Thanks for pics.

sharon_rose 10-25-2004 01:53 PM

Prince Phillip

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3949975.stm

Memorials honour Brigade charge

Quote:

On Monday, the Duke of Edinburgh, who is the colonel in chief of one of the original regiments, laid a wreath for the British victims of the Crimean War at an obelisk overlooking the battlefield.
https://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/eu...ghtbrigade.ap/

Quote:

BALACLAVA, Ukraine (AP) -- Britain's Prince Philip and an array of soldiers and dignitaries are commemorating the charge of the cavalry Light Brigade, whose doomed assault against Russian cannons in 1854 was immortalized by the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson

Merca 10-26-2004 01:31 AM

Where did The Duke of Edinburgh get his black eye from? You can watch a close-up at abacausa.com.

pdas1201 10-26-2004 07:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merca
Where did The Duke of Edinburgh get his black eye from? You can watch a close-up at abacausa.com.

Some pictures posed below of what Merca was mentioning, Prince Philip showed up with a black eye and tried to hide behind sunglasses (the first sign something is wrong). The question is how did he get that black eye???

The pictures were taken at a memorial service for those who lost lives in Battle of Balaclava, on the 150th anniversary of the Charge of Light Brigade, in Crimea, Ukraine.

pdas1201 10-26-2004 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few articles on the supposed reasons for Prince Philip's black eye...funny...:)

First Article

Who Philled you in, Phil?
By VIRGINIA WHEELER

PRINCE Philip sported a nasty black eye yesterday - leaving everyone asking: Who filled him in?

The Duke was at a ceremony to remember the Charge of the Light Brigade - but he seemed to have been in the wars himself.

And as onlookers racked their brains to think of a culprit they were spoilt for choice.

For blundering Philip, 83, has been putting his foot in it for 50 years, insulting people all over the world.

The gaffe-prone Duke tried to hide his shiner behind dark glasses in the Ukraine yesterday.

Palace officials claimed he had poked himself in the eye in the bath.

But there was a long line of other possible suspects:

https://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2004491324,00.jpgLine up ... so whodunnit?

THE QUEEN - because her hubby spends all his time carriage-driving with gorgeous Lady Penny Romsey, 49, his sporting partner for 20 years.

So was this some right royal revenge?

PRINCE HARRY - Charles's 20-year-old lad can be a bit of an oaf.

He left a photographer with a cut lip last week after four hours boozing in a nightclub.

Did he take a pop at the Duke too?

A CHINAMAN - Philip caused outrage in China in 1986 by telling British students there not to stay too long in case they developed "slitty eyes".

Was justice sweet (and sour)?

AN INDIAN - Prince Philip angered Asians at an Edinburgh factory in 1999.

He saw a fusebox and said: "It looks as if it was put up by an Indian."

Did they refuse to put up with him?

A SCOTSMAN - in 1995 the Duke suggested Scots are alcoholics.

He asked a driving instructor in Oban: "How do you keep the natives off the booze enough to get them past the test?"

Did he drive one to the limit?

Second Article

Self-inflicted shiner restarts the debate over duke's well-being
By DAN MCDOUGALL

Key points

Prince Philip apparently slips in bath and gets black eye
Declining health of Duke possible reason for injury
Still makes pilgrimage to site of Charge of Light Brigade

Key quote
"This was simply an accident. It looked so bad because when people get older they tend to bruise more easily - he said it did not hurt." - A spokesman

Story in full THEY have traditionally provided reclusive Hollywood stars with a shield from the cruel glare of the paparazzi and allowed humbled heavyweight boxers to mask the true extent of their wounds, but few would ever have expected the Duke of Edinburgh
to hide his face behind thick black sunglasses.

Looking more like an ailing prizefighter after his latest bout than a senior member of the monarchy, Prince Philip sported the unorthodox eyewear yesterday as he carried out a state visit to the Ukraine to pay homage to the British soldiers who fell at Balaclava during the infamous and doomed Charge of the Light Brigade.

Sporting a painful black eye for the third time in four years, after reportedly slipping in his hotel bath and catching the side of his eye with his thumb, the prince’s own war wounds appeared to attract more attention than an impressive re-enactment to commemorate the 150th anniversary of one of the bloodiest defeats in British military history.

With royal aides quick to play down increasing talk of the duke’s ailing health and continued struggle with arthritis, a palace source revealed the prince, who had been staying in a luxury suite at the Oreanda Hotel in Yalta, had slipped in the bath and inflicted the wound on himself.

A spokesman said: "This was simply an accident. It looked so bad because when people get older they tend to bruise more easily - he said it did not hurt."

Speculation that the duke's health was declining began several years ago after he suffered a series of falls, blamed on worsening arthritis. During Christmas 2002, he was spotted going to church with what looked like black eyes and a cut nose. Palace insiders later revealed he had fallen down a flight of stairs at Sandringham but got up unaided. His health was called into question again last year as it emerged he had sought advice from one of the country's top prostrate cancer specialists.

Appearing at yesterday’s memorial service for the British dead of the 1854-6 Crimean War, the prince joined descendants of the courageous British cavalrymen, who charged into the infamous "Valley of death" on October 25 1854, to face a murderous hail of Russian cannon and rifle fire.

He was joined by retired and serving members of the Queen’s Royal Hussars, the King’s Royal Hussars, the Light Dragoons and the Queen’s Royal Lancers who had also flown into the Ukraine for the historic anniversary. According to National Army Museum
records, of 673 men who charged on the strength of a mistaken order, 110 were slaughtered. In one of the biggest blunders of British military history, the Light Brigade was destroyed as an effective fighting unit.

pdas1201 10-28-2004 08:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
October 28, 2004, Her Majesty The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visit the new Balgan Power Station in Port Talbot, South Wales. The American GE plant is reputed to be the most efficient gas turbine system in the World.

Akilah 11-03-2004 07:28 PM

I have a very unusual question, but I will ask it anyway. Was the Queen ever photographed while pregnant with anyone of her four children?

Ennyllorac 11-03-2004 07:30 PM

I personally can't recall any pictures, but I have to tell you that that is a good question!

selrahc4 11-04-2004 11:20 AM

I have some in books & scrapbooks. I don't know if there are any on the internet.

Akilah 11-04-2004 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
I have some in books & scrapbooks. I don't know if there are any on the internet.

Could you please post a few?

sara1981 11-05-2004 07:10 PM

HM Queen and Prince Philip at Princess Alice's funeral have post pictures?

Sara Boyce

selrahc4 11-06-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akilah
Could you please post a few?

I'm so sorry, I can't. I don't have a scanner.

pdas1201 11-08-2004 04:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
November 8, 2004: Her Majesty the Queen arrives for a screening of Ladies in Lavender at Odeon Leicester Square in central London, during the Royal Film Performance 2004, to aid the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund. PHOTO BY IAN WEST/ABACA