The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings General Discussion (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Royal Wedding Rings - Left Or Right Hand? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/royal-wedding-rings-left-or-right-hand-32715.html)

plseyw 04-08-2012 04:14 PM

In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.

Princess BellyFlop 04-08-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plseyw (Post 1397675)
In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.

So both wear it on the right hand or did you mean something else?

Sternchen 04-09-2012 06:23 PM

I have Never heard that it is a catholic Thing to wear your wedding band in your left hand?

Lady Felicity M 04-12-2012 01:27 AM

Question: Do you prefer Diamonds on the wedding band or a plain wedding band?

AlanR 05-04-2012 06:48 AM

I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....

Jenafran 05-04-2012 10:32 PM

In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.

Cinderella5x 05-04-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta (Post 1389980)
Clarification: Most people wear it on their left hand, some on the right to honor their ancestral culture. Some wear none at all (men AND women (including me)). I have beautiful wedding jewelry, but off it came about 3 weeks after the wedding. My love wore his, but never complained about me not wearing mine.

You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?

Duchess of Durham 05-04-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderella5x (Post 1407833)
You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?

A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.

Cinderella5x 05-05-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham (Post 1407836)
A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.

What about a silver one? Is she alergic to silver as well?

Sternchen 05-06-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanR
I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....

Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.

Grandma828 05-06-2012 01:47 PM

It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

LadyFinn 05-06-2012 02:27 PM

We Finns wear both the engagement and the wedding ring in our left hand, at the ring finger.

Mirabel 05-06-2012 03:01 PM

I don't wear rings because of allergies, but the ring is only a symbol anyway. You are just as married whether you wear it or not, so what does it matter?

SilviaS 05-16-2012 02:35 AM

In Sweden most (all?) people wear their rings, both engagement and wedding on the left hand. Queen Silvia wears hers on the left hand. The King doesn't wear a wedding ring.

Noble Consort Ming 06-22-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenafran (Post 1407829)
In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.

Not true for all catholics in the US. It depends where they come from. My parents were married in the catholic church and wore theirs on their right hands because they are Polish. Not all Polish people in the US do this but those there were born in Poland usually do.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma828 (Post 1408301)
It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

Except in some countries the tradition is based on religion with catholics wearing rings on one hand and protestants on the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1408297)
Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.

In some countries, yes. It's not a rule but the traditions in some places are based on your religion.

russell85 10-31-2012 02:28 AM

Wedding ring - right hand or left hand?
 
I wear a white gold chain and one of 18ct diamond rings.

Mermaid1962 10-31-2012 02:32 AM

There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

dbarn67 10-31-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1478768)
There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

This is what I heard as well.

Meraude 10-31-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1478768)
There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

All arteries goes from the heart out to every part of the body, and all veins goes from every part of the body to the heart. Before people were aware of how the blood circulates in the body, there was an belief that there was a special vein, vena amoris (vein of love) that connected the fourth finger of the left hand with the heart. Here you can read more about on what finger people wear their wedding ring: Your Wedding Ring…Left or Right Hand? Greek Weddings and Traditions

AnnEliza 11-18-2012 09:34 PM

Americans generally wear both rings on the left ring finger. I was told by my mother to wear my engagement ring on my right ring finger during the wedding ceremony so that the wedding ring goes onto the bare left finger as part of the ceremony, and then afterwards you switch the engagement ring to be worn above the wedding ring on the left. But some people leave the engagement ring below and add the wedding ring on top on the left. And some don't have an engagement ring.
Some widows switch the rings to the right hand, some stop wearing them. My mother has been widowed for six years but still wears her rings on the left. But she is 85 and doesn't want to change.
My best friend has been married 34 years and doesn't wear any kind of wedding ring.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises